Federer and Nadal inspire with grace [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer and Nadal inspire with grace

veyonce
06-10-2009, 01:38 AM
My Paper
Federer and Nadal inspire with grace

10 June 2009
Chia Han Keong

THIS decade is still a year and a half short of being completed.

But let’s just go ahead and declare tennis aces Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal the sportsmen of the decade.

And, yes, they have to go hand in hand to be considered as the premier athletes from 2000 till now.

For only together could they have created a transcendent rivalry, be spurred to great sporting heights and, most vitally, be humbled by each other’s greatness.

Last Sunday saw Federer weep in joy after winning the French Open, the elusive Grand Slam that Nadal had stopped him from winning in the last three Roland Garros finals.

“Now I can play in peace at last,” the Swiss said, and no one can rob him of this emotional triumph, which came after he had persevered through a virus infection and poor form in the past two years.

Yet, without Nadal playing a role, perhaps he would never have experienced such a magical moment.

He might have just won the French Open on a trot in any given year of this decade, and not placed much value on the title. But the way Nadal has tormented him since 2006 made Federer’s victory one that he would savour forever.

Yet, Nadal should not be perceived as a villain to Federer’s artistry. Indeed, he is every bit as heroic as the Swiss.

Yes, their styles are polar opposites. Federer’s fluent and fluid shot-making can be likened to jazz music – intricate, improvisational and impressive.

Nadal, on the other hand, plays more akin to rock music – bludgeoning strokes retrieved from depths of the court never reached before, and returned equally improbably in the form of jaw-dropping winners.

It is wrong for fans to love one and hate the other. They are missing the crucial point of an enduring rivalry which pushes the limits of tennis.

Now, to beat either player, other professionals have to elevate their craft, ensuring pinpoint accuracy for every shot.

Yet, it is the gracious manner in which both Federer and Nadal accepted those rare losses that elevates them above the petulant footballers (think Cristiano Ronaldo) or the moody basketballers (Kobe Bryant).

Like what Nadal said after his shock fourth-round French Open loss two weeks ago: “Sometimes you need a defeat to give the value to your victories.”

Wise words from a mere 23-year-old. Indeed, it is time that sports fans say that they have had enough of drug cheats, ill-tempered outbursts, nasty feuds and sheer petulance among top athletes this decade.

For Federer and Nadal have shown how respect and humility make better sportsmen.
hankeong@sph.com.sg

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1598/mypaper.th.jpg (http://img268.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mypaper.jpg)

Mimi
06-10-2009, 02:46 AM
:bigclap: you wrote the article, veyonce? great article, good analysis and good English :clap2:

hcfoo
06-10-2009, 03:46 AM
Congrats on the article!

Mimi
06-10-2009, 03:55 AM
by the way, i never knew you are a man, i thought you were a girl :ignore:

FedFan_2007
06-10-2009, 04:26 AM
Nice article.

born_on_clay
06-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Nice one :)

kaylee
06-10-2009, 01:44 PM
awesome job!

Hagar
06-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Wow, excellent stuff!

Henry Kaspar
06-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Off-court I like Nadal better than Federer. Words like "Federer's injury doesn't look that serious" wouldn't come out of his mouth.

pica_pica
06-10-2009, 03:07 PM
:worship:

Steelq
06-10-2009, 03:18 PM
by the way, i never knew you are a man, i thought you were a girl :ignore:

Great compliment. :lol:

Mimi
06-11-2009, 02:01 AM
Off-court I like Nadal better than Federer. Words like "Federer's injury doesn't look that serious" wouldn't come out of his mouth.

totally agreed, roger has a big mouth ;)

GlennMirnyi
06-11-2009, 02:06 AM
Nadull and grace in the same sentence? :lol:

What's next? Hitler and tolerance?

superslam77
06-11-2009, 02:17 AM

Vamosing :worship:

Mimi
06-11-2009, 02:22 AM
Roger is also not graceful sometimes for his big mouth outside the court, allez :rocker2:

Har-Tru
06-11-2009, 02:25 AM

"Hitler despised tolerance".

There.

GlennMirnyi
06-11-2009, 02:27 AM
"Hitler despised tolerance".

There.

No, actually he was very tolerant to fellow Aryans. :)

superslam77
06-11-2009, 02:30 AM
Oh tolerant Har-tru giving bad reps just because i said Fed>Laver.

Dalai lama!

Har-Tru
06-11-2009, 02:31 AM
Oh tolerant Har-tru giving bad reps just because i said Fed>Laver.

Dalai lama!

loving the "just because".

I'd give you another one if I could. Classy of you to go trumpetting it around too.

Har-Tru
06-11-2009, 02:32 AM
No, actually he was very tolerant to fellow Aryans. :)

Or what he considered fellow Aryans... he was also very tolerant towards Asians who provided him with a good friendly army. He even considered them "honorary Aryans".

Isn't it lovely the new direction we gave to this thread?

Good night.

Mimi
06-11-2009, 02:33 AM
Dalai lama is not as kind as many thought, he supported slave system when he was still an aristocrat in Tibet :rolleyes:

Har-Tru
06-11-2009, 02:35 AM
Dalai lama is not as kind as many thought, he supported slave system when he was still an aristocrat in Tibet :rolleyes:

:rolls: :woohoo:

You're right mimi. :yeah:

Guy Haines
06-11-2009, 02:45 AM

:lol: superslam you're coming off like a chihuahua at Glenn Mirnyi's feet. Do you chase him around all day to throw laurels before his highness?

superslam77
06-11-2009, 02:48 AM
:lol: superslam you're coming off like a chihuahua at Glenn Mirnyi's feet. Do you chase him around all day to throw laurels before his highness?

i give :worship: to the worthy and :boxing: to evil hapless termite minions!

superslam77
06-11-2009, 02:49 AM
Let's say if i was gay i'd hit it but unfortunately i belong to MTF girls. Sorry

Guy Haines
06-11-2009, 02:50 AM
Let's say if i was gay i'd hit it but unfortunately i belong to MTF girls. Sorry

:lol: Great stuff. It's good to see you happy, even if I hate that Nadal is doing lousy.

ps: The writer Manny Farber has a great theory about the value of the termite.

superslam77
06-11-2009, 02:53 AM
:music::lol: Great stuff. It's good to see you happy, even if I hate that Nadal is doing lousy.

:banana: yeah it's a great great great year..things are going :worship:

i was very sad after tennis died last year and the AO. However tennis and personal life is turning around. This calls for a celebration :cool:

:music:

Mimi
06-11-2009, 02:59 AM
:lol: superslam you're coming off like a chihuahua at Glenn Mirnyi's feet. Do you chase him around all day to throw laurels before his highness?:dog::dog:

Guy Haines
06-11-2009, 02:59 AM

:banana: yeah it's a great great great year..things are going :worship:

i was very sad after tennis died last year and the AO. However tennis and personal life is turning around. This calls for a celebration :cool:

You and Gu inspire with grace? :confused:

Veyonce: I like the article.

GlennMirnyi
06-11-2009, 03:01 AM
Or what he considered fellow Aryans... he was also very tolerant towards Asians who provided him with a good friendly army. He even considered them "honorary Aryans".

Isn't it lovely the new direction we gave to this thread?

Good night.

Considering there's no such thing as "Aryans", yeah.

Awesome new direction. Much better than the direction given from the start. :p

Leave the kid alone, he has good taste.

i give :worship: to the worthy and :boxing: to evil hapless termite minions!

See? ;)

:lol:

Sorry mate, I'm not gay either.

Mimi
06-11-2009, 03:07 AM

:haha: 1 April was passed long time ago my dear friend :bigwave:

GlennMirnyi
06-11-2009, 03:09 AM

I'm definitely ensconced as one of the most graceful writers around here.

Guy Haines
06-11-2009, 03:13 AM

:D You're MTF's best Goblin.

GlennMirnyi
06-11-2009, 03:15 AM
:D You're MTF's best Goblin.

I'll take that as a compliment. ;)

Har-Tru
06-11-2009, 03:16 AM
http://www.desfasado.com/img/up/1225370229.jpg

Guy Haines
06-11-2009, 03:17 AM
I'll take that as a compliment. ;)

:) Yes.

Mimi, it's good to see you laughing more. :D

Alright, I must be stopped from turning this into a chat thread.

FedFan_2007
06-11-2009, 03:28 AM

Excuse me while I barf. The only thing you do around her is say "Nadull this, Nadull that". What a waste of precious internet bandwidth you are. :rolleyes:

FedFan_2007
06-11-2009, 03:28 AM
http://www.untwistedvortex.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/dontfeedthetroll.jpg

superslam77
06-11-2009, 03:33 AM
http://www.desfasado.com/img/up/1225370229.jpg

:eek: you are starting to redeem yourself with this classic!

Mimi
06-11-2009, 03:43 AM
Excuse me while I barf. The only thing you do around her is say "Nadull this, Nadull that". What a waste of precious internet bandwidth you are. :rolleyes:

Fedfan2007 has become an angel after Roger won FO :inlove::music::bigclap::yippee:

FedFan_2007
06-11-2009, 03:46 AM
mimi - I was always an :angel: it just took a little bit of time to come out. Sort of like Rafa wearing a pink shirt, no?

habibko
06-11-2009, 10:28 AM
mimi - I was always an :angel: it just took a little bit of time to come out. Sort of like Rafa wearing a pink shirt, no?

LMAO!