Lleyton Hewitt's " Going for 2 titles in 2 weeks" cheering thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Lleyton Hewitt's " Going for 2 titles in 2 weeks" cheering thread

Raquel
08-23-2004, 03:53 PM
Keep the run going Lleyton :bounce:

Good Luck :)

Crazy_Fool
08-23-2004, 06:56 PM
Lets go Lleyton :worship:

playwithmybanan
08-23-2004, 08:29 PM
take it home at long island. make yourself some extra cash. and make it past the quarters this year... i seriously believe he can make it to #3, maybe #2 if roddick doesn't make it past the semis at the open. maybe #2 is wishful thinking though. but still, he'll get better seedings at slams, no more meeting fed express in the quarters or R16 :)

im glad he's playing, he's played a lot less than the others in the top 5. 17 tournaments? come on now. and the 4 international series have been 3 wins and a semi.

Hagar
08-23-2004, 08:53 PM
Kim must have seen some extra furniture she liked so she urged Lleyton to play one more tournament to have a bit of cash... :)

Cervantes
08-23-2004, 09:10 PM
i can't believe he's seriously playing this tournament, it's like saying "i won't win the US Open anyway so i'm gonna try to get a few points in this small meaningless tournament."

Socket
08-23-2004, 09:45 PM
i can't believe he's seriously playing this tournament, it's like saying "i won't win the US Open anyway so i'm gonna try to get a few points in this small meaningless tournament."

Why do you care why he's playing the tournament? Other than the fact that it gives you the chance to make a fool of yourself in public with this inane comment.

dylan24
08-24-2004, 01:04 AM
Why do you care why he's playing the tournament? Other than the fact that it gives you the chance to make a fool of yourself in public with this inane comment.

exactly. he's not hurting his chances for the US open by playing this week.
if he wasn't playing in the tournament this week, he'd still be practicing.
so he is getting more matches under his belt this week.
i think he will do real well at the US Open.
definitely see him making the semis and maybe winning it all.

playwithmybanan
08-24-2004, 01:36 AM
i think some of his motivation is definitely to win the us open series, and i hope he does it. he should be feeling pretty good about himself, particularly because he's been serving pretty well (unlike the past 7 months), and i think more matches coudln't hurt him. you get a day between matches at the US open, so he shouldn't be too tired. he'll be seeded 4th, so i don't think he's throwing away any chances at doing well there.

Billabong
08-24-2004, 01:40 AM
GO Lleyton you can do it:yeah:!

Fergie
08-24-2004, 02:18 AM
Go Lleyton :D

playwithmybanan
08-24-2004, 05:11 AM
lleyton's pretty good against dedicated serve-and-volleyers, so i dunno how well ancic would square up against him, but it would be nice to see some seeds make it through

playwithmybanan
08-24-2004, 05:38 AM
hey, maybe he's trying to pull a guillermo... only he'll win 3 tournaments in 4 weeks, but one of them will be a slam. i'm glad to see his ranking heading back up

Cervantes
08-24-2004, 08:57 AM
exactly. he's not hurting his chances for the US open by playing this week.
if he wasn't playing in the tournament this week, he'd still be practicing.
so he is getting more matches under his belt this week.
i think he will do real well at the US Open.
definitely see him making the semis and maybe winning it all.

I thought he could do well at the US Open, until I found out he was actually playing here. When was the last time someone won a slam playing/winning an ATP tournament the week before?
If Hewitt does well in this tournament (and why shouldn't he), he'll be a bit tired going in to the US Open and that can never be a good thing for him.

Raquel
08-25-2004, 10:08 AM
I thought he could do well at the US Open, until I found out he was actually playing here. When was the last time someone won a slam playing/winning an ATP tournament the week before?

I think it was Pete Sampras here in 2002.

Anyway, Lleyton beat Oliver Mutis 7-6, 6-1 to extend his streak to 7 and he has won 13 out of his last 14 matches :)

Cervantes
08-25-2004, 11:44 AM
I think it was Pete Sampras here in 2002.

Anyway, Lleyton beat Oliver Mutis 7-6, 6-1 to extend his streak to 7 and he has won 13 out of his last 14 matches :)

You're absolutely right Raquel, Pete did play Long Island in 2002 the week before the US Open (although he did lose first round).

So maybe it's not as clearcut as I thought, but you'd have to agree with me that most of the time it's not the best preparation to play a tournament the week before a slam.

Raquel
08-25-2004, 01:42 PM
I agree but Lleyton does it quite a lot. He usually plays Sydney and played World Team Cup this year. And when he won Wimbledon he played the week before in s'Hertogenbosch. Gaston played World Team Cup this year too. Most top players skip the week before but I honestly don't think it will hurt his US Open chances too much. If Lleyton wins this week he will go in on a winning streak and a lot of confidence

Socket
08-25-2004, 02:05 PM
I agree but Lleyton does it quite a lot. He usually plays Sydney and played World Team Cup this year. And when he won Wimbledon he played the week before in s'Hertogenbosch. Gaston played World Team Cup this year too. Most top players skip the week before but I honestly don't think it will hurt his US Open chances too much. If Lleyton wins this week he will go in on a winning streak and a lot of confidence

I agree. Having seen all his matches at the Legg Mason, I know that 3 of them were simply glorified practices against over-matched opponents. They were over in barely one hour, and even his final went only 1 hour and some 15 minutes. The Saulnier QF was the only really demanding match he played. Many of the practice sessions I watched were tougher than Lleyton's matches.

Cervantes
08-25-2004, 09:59 PM
I agree. Having seen all his matches at the Legg Mason, I know that 3 of them were simply glorified practices against over-matched opponents. They were over in barely one hour, and even his final went only 1 hour and some 15 minutes. The Saulnier QF was the only really demanding match he played. Many of the practice sessions I watched were tougher than Lleyton's matches.

Lol, that is true, most of his matches didn't last long. We'll just have to wait and see how it all works out for him.

RonE
08-25-2004, 11:21 PM
I think different things are good for different players. There are players who play better at a slam coming in fresh having not played the week before, and then there are players who need to play a lot of matches and be sharp and match-fit to raise the level of their game. I think Hewitt belongs to the former category.

NE way, I'm hoping he can keep this streak going for as long as possible going into the Open. Go Rocky Llegs!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Raquel
08-27-2004, 01:00 AM
Lleyton marches on - 6-1, 6-4 over Llodra :bounce:

tennis_spider
08-27-2004, 02:55 AM
I think Lleyton will not win this tourn

playwithmybanan
08-27-2004, 08:02 AM
never say never when it comes to hewitt, but all i can do is wish him the best. he lost to iggy in indian wells, but he's been playing pretty well as of late. i hope, for the sake of his confidence, that he beats chela.

and his first round match at the open is against ferreira, they're 2-2 lifetime... with ferreira beating him in the finals of LA last year on hardcourts

Auscon
08-28-2004, 04:25 AM
Great to see Lleyton really dominating, but fingers crossed that he isnt burnt out come time for the USO

SomL.
08-28-2004, 05:25 AM
Good luck Lleyton to Sami final round !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daniel
08-28-2004, 10:27 AM
Good luck!!!! :yeah:

Crazy_Fool
08-28-2004, 03:41 PM
Great to see Lleyton really dominating, but fingers crossed that he isnt burnt out come time for the USO
Yeah great result :)

I doubt he'll be too burned out, he hasn't had many tough matches so far, so its not stretched him too much.

Go Lleyton!! :D

AlexisIII
08-28-2004, 05:13 PM
Hewitt will have great problems winning this tournament, coz it's much more important for Paradorn.

Auscon
08-29-2004, 05:39 AM
Kill em in the final Lleyton!

playwithmybanan
08-29-2004, 09:10 AM
come on lleyton, it's luis horna... clearly the only way that guy beat guillermo coria at tms canada was because the man's shoulder pretty much died out on him (get well soon man, 2 years from now i'll be back in toronto cheering you on)

lleyton's still got a tough first round ahead of him though, wayne ferreira is someone i'd classify as a potato peeler... even though they're 2-2, it's still unsettling to see someone with a record not lower than .500 against hewitt

SomL.
08-29-2004, 11:30 AM
Good luck Lleyton to Final !!!!!!!!!!! You can do it !!!!!!!

Fergie
08-29-2004, 01:29 PM
Good luck Lleyton :yeah:

Raquel
08-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Good Luck in the final Lleyton! :bounce: