Wimbledon withdrawl and injury discussion [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wimbledon withdrawl and injury discussion

Johnny Groove
06-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Looking ahead now. I hear he's got some tests in Barcelona Monday and Tuesday before he'll make his Wimbledon decision.

I expect him to be there unless his injury is totally crippling. How he'll do is another story entirely.

Time for the grass season :wavey:

kaylee
06-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks for this - you have cheered me up - I am fed up with all the Roger cow-towing!!!!!

star
06-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Looking ahead now. I hear he's got some tests in Barcelona Monday and Tuesday before he'll make his Wimbledon decision.

I expect him to be there unless his injury is totally crippling. How he'll do is another story entirely.

We'll have to see how it goes. I'm not too upset about dropping out of Queens. Borg never played any tournaments before Wimbledon. It's too bad he's losing the points though. He'll need to do very well at Wimbledon this year.

kaylee
06-07-2009, 09:19 PM
I love that avatar picture from Miami so cool!

uefa_007
06-07-2009, 09:24 PM
I think he does have a small knee problem however that's mainly because of the number of matches he has played so far. Not playing queens would be a big boon for him physically at the same time the queens crowds cheers would do him a lot of wonder.

I don't think he will miss Wimbledon , that's just mind games by his Uncle.

l_mac
06-07-2009, 09:25 PM
WTF is this thread opened now for?

star
06-07-2009, 09:30 PM

:shrug: Why shouldn't it be opened? Do you think it will jinx his appearance there?

Getta
06-07-2009, 10:17 PM

Thanks, Jonathan :)

MIT prediction: Champion

Laba
06-08-2009, 12:26 AM
I'll just throw it out there that my name's Pat, I kinda just randomly started posting on MTF and in here a while back without any introduction. :p

I'm hoping to see Rafa at Wimby and while I wont make a firm MIT prediction just yet, I'd be really pleased if he could get through his opening three matches without trouble (no Kendrick/Soderling of the past, please) and then hopefully make the semis. I don't expect him to defend his title, not at all but it would be oh so sweet if he were to beat Fed for in London for a second time to even up their Wimby head-to-head.

Johnny Groove
06-08-2009, 12:33 AM

Maybe cause its the next tournament he's gonna play?

Minn
06-08-2009, 01:12 AM
Hi Pat.

Jonathan, I hope you're right that it is the next tournament he's going to play.

Johnny Groove
06-08-2009, 02:03 AM
I can't see him missing this event, Melanie.

If he does, then the usual Rafagirl worrying will actually be deserved.

-Evita-
06-08-2009, 07:24 AM
So is this the official Wimbledon thread now or is it not? If it is, you've got my admiration for daring to start it without the approval of the chat thread :lol: :hatoff:

Laba
06-08-2009, 07:25 AM
Sucks that the grass season is one tournament. :(

Turquoise
06-08-2009, 07:26 AM
I wish Nadal full recovery and good recuperation, and that he's fit and raring to go at Wimbledon. All the best Nadal. I sorely missed him in the RG final. :sobbing:

MariaV
06-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Now he will certainly miss Wimbledon. :lol:

Metis
06-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Come on people, don't tell me you really believe in jinxes! :lol:

Though I agree we could have waited a couple of days until they made an announcement after the tests.

tennizen
06-08-2009, 02:00 PM
My prediction: Win

kaylee
06-08-2009, 02:24 PM
whooo hoooooo grass, sigh I miss London when the grass season begins. Can't wait for Wimbledon but yes all these predictions are a bit premature. Hmm perhaps his knee isn't that bad if you can go jet skiiing around Majorca????

Metis
06-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Good luck to Getta and tennizen on their predictions :unsure: :lol:

How far will Rafa go in Wimbledon? (another chance to win 2000 points! :hearts:)

1st -
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
QF -
SF -
F -
W - Getta, kaylee, tennizen

kaylee
06-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Can I for the W too please?

Johnny Groove
06-08-2009, 02:49 PM
So is this the official Wimbledon thread now or is it not? If it is, you've got my admiration for daring to start it without the approval of the chat thread :lol: :hatoff:

I don't need no chat thread approval :cool:

shawshank
06-08-2009, 04:42 PM
The last few days as a tennis fan are like a nightmare to me. I can't stop worring about Rafa. I promised to myself that if Rafa withdraws from Wimby I won't watch even one game from Wimbledon. I will forget what is tennis for 2 weeks.
I really can't imagine that my hero could get only to the 4th round of RG and withdraw from Wimby.
I once thought that the worst news I could get in tennis is Fed winning FO and beating Sampras records. So now I'm depressed because of Rafa and I can't stand the fact that Fed won RG. Really nothing to be happy.

Anyway guys, we have to stay positive. Missing Queens will be good for him. Federer will also miss Halle I think, so at least he won't get 450 points. Rankings are another sad think- Rafa has to defend more than 4500 points until US and Fed only 2000. It will be almost impossible to keep the first position.

Look, Nadal was supossed to beat Soderling, and play till the final- so there was no way that injury could prevent him from winning RG. This is why I think it can't stop him to play in Wimbledon. Our King showed us so many times that he can comeback strongly so he will do it one more time.

Vamos Rafa! We love you!

kaylee
06-08-2009, 05:16 PM
The thing is if you really loved watching tennis (and I for one couldn't imagine not watching Wimbledon) then you would watch anyway. Look at the moment it is all speculation and we should wait for the results on Rafa's knee. He is a true fighter and would not want to miss Wimbledon BUT if his doctors advise him to then he will.

As for Roger just take to heart that he didn't beat the best clay courter in the world whereas Rafa had to beat Roger both in Wimbledon last year and also in Australia which in my mind, makes him really great!

Laba
06-09-2009, 05:14 AM
I'll be crushed if he doesn't play. :sad:

hcfoo
06-09-2009, 06:09 AM
Even Roger believes Rafa's injury is not that serious.

"Rafa's not been injured that much, it's not like he played only 40 matches last season. He was there for the big occasions. It happens that you go through injury stretches.

"It doesn't seem 100 percent serious (the possible pullout), but I only wish him the best. He wasn't taping his knees in Paris, he seemed fine to me and I can tell when he in pain and when he's not.

I believe Rafa will play in Wimbledon. He'll shut the critics off especially those Fedtards.

Laba
06-09-2009, 06:12 AM
That's a bullshit statement from Federer. I'll refrain from saying more. :rolleyes:

uefa_007
06-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Rafa will definitely play Wimbledon . From what i saw in The Exhibition Match , the grass court is exactly like last season , and with no rains i think it will slow down and take top spin more after the first week.

Regarding fedex comments , all these stupid comments have already bitten him in the ass a lot of time and its just a matter of time it bits him again !

Foxy
06-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Everything is coming back, guys. Sooner or later we will laugh again. :wavey:

uefa, I noticed that too. And I was amazed by the comments at GM that it looked considerably faster this year. It never was slower than clay, actually. :haha:

MariaV
06-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Everything is coming back, guys. Sooner or later we will laugh again. :wavey:

uefa, I noticed that too. And I was amazed by the comments at GM that it looked considerably faster this year. It never was slower than clay, actually. :haha:

I hope so too! :wavey:

Foxy
06-09-2009, 09:40 AM
That's a bullshit statement from Federer. I'll refrain from saying more. :rolleyes:

One thing we should learn from these weeks. Never feel sorry for this guy or his fans. We did that mistake some time ago. We should learn from it now.

uefa_007
06-09-2009, 01:08 PM
MADRID, June 9 (Reuters) - Champion Rafael Nadal will do all he can to shake off a knee injury and be fit for this year's Wimbledon championships, he said on Tuesday.

"I will give 200 percent to be at 100 percent for the most important date in world tennis," the Spanish world number one said in a statement, adding that he faced two weeks of tough recuperation.

He said he will travel to London on June 16. The Wimbledon championships start on June 22.

Looks like our champ is playing after all !!

:):worship::wavey::cool::p;):worship::p
(sorry for all the smileys , i m damn happy)

shawshank
06-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Rafa will play Wimbledon :D :)
http://www.marca.com/2009/06/09/tenis/1244552287.html
It says that he will travel to London next Tuesday.
Vamos! I'm so happy!

kaylee
06-09-2009, 01:44 PM
hold on guys it doesn't say he will play Wimbledon - it just says that he is travelling to London - his "spin doctor" is hedging bets as most PR people do. However it is a good sign that at least he is going to try and come. I never thought that he would forfeit that - he loves the tournament too much. Let us take it one day at a time.

Castafiore
06-09-2009, 02:01 PM
From his official website www.rafaelnadal.com

Rafa travels to London on Tuesday, June 16th

Rafa Nadal has confirmed today that he will travel to London next Tuesday, June 16th. For the past 36 hours, Rafa Nadal, has been undergoing in-depth medical tests under the supervision of Doctor Angel Ruiz-Cotorro.

Rafa Nadal:

"I have been playing with pain on my knees for some months now and I simply can't go on like this. The pain was limiting certain movements in my body, which affected me mentally as well."

"After the tests and with the appropriate treatment, we have decided to travel to London next Tuesday, June 16th." "I am going to give my 200% to be ready for the most important tournament in the world. The tournament that I always dream about. I will not go out and play, especially on the Wimbledon Centre Court, if I am not 100% ready to play."

"I have 2 difficult weeks ahead of me, especially because I won't be doing what I like doing most, which is to play tennis, but I will be working on my recovery through physiotherapy treatments as well as recovery work on the specific muscular area."

Doctor Angel Ruiz-Cotorro, Spanish Federation doctor and Managing Director of the Mapfre Medical Tennis Center:

"After the appropriate tests (MRI, Ultrasound scans and gammagraphy) Mr. Rafael Nadal suffers from insertion tendonitis in the superior end of both kneecaps with a light osseous edema.

His treatment will involve oral anti-inflammatories, physiotherapy as well as progressive muscular exercises for both quadriceps's.

Following the 48-hour treatment, Mr. Nadal will gradually get back into training progressively."

There will be no further comments or statements today. For further information please contact (media only), Benito Perez-Barbadillo, Rafa's PR/Publicist.

Many thanks

Johnny Groove
06-09-2009, 02:47 PM
At least he knows exactly what the problem is and he's doing everything he can to get ready for Wimbledon.

That's all we as fans can ask for.

star
06-09-2009, 03:04 PM
:lol: Federer. After he lost the AO last year he talked about food poisoning, "strong" mono and god knows what. This year he lost the AO and lo and behold, he hadn't been able to practice because of his back problems. And the Fed fans were upset when anyone raised an eyebrow at his statements. Now, suddenly, he can detect whether Rafa is in pain and knows that he had no problems during the clay court season. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think it was obvious to all those who were closely observing Rafa during the clay court season that Rafa was having some problems. It was especially apparent at RG for me. I didn't get to see much of Madrid.

Plus -- I've had tendinitis in the knee and it's really painful. Just going up and down stairs and walking is painful. I've done the whole rehab thing. It's not fun. So I don't know how Rafa managed to play on those sore knees. And I hope his stomach tolerates the anti-imflamatory pills. Probably this is a problem that will reoccur quite a bit in his career. I don't think it truly goes away.

Foxy
06-09-2009, 04:57 PM
:lol: Federer. After he lost the AO last year he talked about food poisoning, "strong" mono and god knows what. This year he lost the AO and lo and behold, he hadn't been able to practice because of his back problems. And the Fed fans were upset when anyone raised an eyebrow at his statements. Now, suddenly, he can detect whether Rafa is in pain and knows that he had no problems during the clay court season. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think it was obvious to all those who were closely observing Rafa during the clay court season that Rafa was having some problems. It was especially apparent at RG for me. I didn't get to see much of Madrid.

Plus -- I've had tendinitis in the knee and it's really painful. Just going up and down stairs and walking is painful. I've done the whole rehab thing. It's not fun. So I don't know how Rafa managed to play on those sore knees. And I hope his stomach tolerates the anti-imflamatory pills. Probably this is a problem that will reoccur quite a bit in his career. I don't think it truly goes away.

I will mention this and let this topic end. This same peeeerfect guy stated he probably won't play until the end of last season after Stockholm. And what happened? He played every single tournament until the rest of 2008.

Laba
06-10-2009, 04:46 AM
So there's still no confirmation on whether he'll play, it all depends on the two next two weeks of work. Glad to see he has committed himself to getting into shape though, I hope to see him kick off his defense in the opening match as the defending Champion should.

greenhotchilipep
06-10-2009, 06:55 AM
hello all, i'm new here.

Great news to hear rafa will be in London next weeks, we all just keep finger-cross for him get weel soon. Wimb is not the same without Rafa.

be believe and support to Rafa

Vamos Rafa

MariaV
06-10-2009, 07:31 AM

Star, Roger is a God now, he can do anything, even heal Rafa. ;)

Well, Rafa didn't really display his magnificent clay court tennis this whole season, starting from Monte Carlo his movement hasn't been what it used to be; I'd say. Tendonitis is very painful indeed but many tennis players 'live' with it, it's chronical.

born_on_clay
06-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Rafa is a great champion and will show everyone he is still in the business

Foxy
06-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Anybody noticed Queens looks a little slow for grass? I watched Murray and Seppi and it looked not as fast as last year. Does this mean anything?

uefa_007
06-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Anybody noticed Queens looks a little slow for grass? I watched Murray and Seppi and it looked not as fast as last year. Does this mean anything?

Well actually Queens is supposed to be faster than Wimbledon .

From what i saw in the friendly match recently happened the court is the same .

The more natural grass they add to the court , the more speed it will take & less bounce (meaning more volley) however the problem is there is going to be light drizzles during the entire period so the heavy grass will not dry at all .

That`s one of the main reasons as to why they moved on this kind of grass.

kaylee
06-10-2009, 05:26 PM
It is hard to tell when you are looking on TV or online. I just thought it looked slippery and Andy M said the same thing. Wimbledon grass is different - I am looking forward to seeing the new roof and court 1.

Rog1
06-13-2009, 08:36 AM
My prayers are with Rafael too, guys

I hope he can prove his genius once again at the big one.

Vamos...........

Linda (Luton-UK)

Xristos
06-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Put me down for QF.

Best of luck Raf.

shawshank
06-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Rafa arrived to London and practiced already today!
Here are some posts from "As it happens":

17:05

Rafael Nadal turned up at practice today:

In the glorious afternoon sunshine a sight for sore eyes emerged in the form of Rafael Nadal. As the Spaniard made his way to the Aorangi practice courts, staff shouted out ‘good luck Rafa’ to which he responded ‘thank you very much’ with his trademark humble smile.

Next he set about his business – minus the knee supports - and began pummelling the life out of the balls. After a brief sit down, change of racket and laugher in his camp, Rafa switched ends and resumed play.

17:38

Roddick and Sharapova are taking their training seriously. Both made a re-appearance this afternoon for yet another practice session. Rafa, meanwhile, is having a brief sit down. Elsewhere, court attendants on the outside courts are preparing to cover the courts.

kaylee
06-16-2009, 05:31 PM
whoooooooo hoooooooo

Xristos
06-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Vamooooos!

Fight til death!!

Laba
06-17-2009, 01:38 AM
Good to hear. :)

Although, I'd rather he practiced/played with the knee straps. A bit of precaution wouldn't hurt.

shawshank
06-17-2009, 10:48 AM
11:28

It's another sunny morning here in SW19 and the players are rolling in thick and first for early morning practice sessions. While Rafa insists he is not superstitious, the Spaniard was hitting on the same court he trained on yesterday. Meanwhile, his uncle Toni appeared somewhat preoccupied with the height of the net. Not only did Rafa's coach re-measure it, he then set about checking out the height of the net-measuring stick with a tennis racket. Meanwhile, Australian Lleyton Hewitt was on the Aorangi Park players' balcony doing a spot of babysitting before his first practice session.

kaylee
06-17-2009, 02:21 PM
nice - everything perfect!!!!!!!!!!

Metis
06-17-2009, 07:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4266561

Updated: June 17, 2009, 12:55 PM ET

Nadal still not a definite for Wimbledon

Reuters

MADRID -- Rafael Nadal (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=261), the world's top-ranked men's player, will test his injured knees ahead of Wimbledon by playing two exhibition singles matches on grass at the Hurlingham Club in London, organizers said Wednesday.

The Spaniard, whose defense of his title at the All England Club is still in doubt, will play former No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=306) of Australia on Thursday and Switzerland's Stanislas Wawrinka (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=264) on Friday at the club in southwest London, organizers said.

Nadal has been having treatment on his knees since pulling out of the Wimbledon warm-up event at Queen's Club last week.

Wimbledon begins Monday and continues through July 5.

kaylee
06-17-2009, 07:20 PM
pfft if he wasn't 100% he wouldn't play exhibition matches but hey we will see!

Castafiore
06-17-2009, 07:40 PM
pfft if he wasn't 100% he wouldn't play exhibition matches but hey we will see!
The exhibition matches are a test to see if he's ready.

kaylee
06-17-2009, 08:10 PM
yes BUT if he wasn't sure he wouldn't be in UK at all - still it is a good test. Playing an exhibition as opposed to a match will see how his knees are.

Angel333
06-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Rafa played against Hewitt today and lost
:sad::sad::sad:

In the way he played, i´m not sure, if he is playing at Wimbledon.
For further information i have these link http://eurosport.yahoo.com/18062009/58/wimbledon-nadal-loss-increases-wimbledon-doubts.html-

kaylee
06-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Maybe he should try using the tape again and see if that makes any difference although I doubt it will. Keeps fingers crossed.

Laba
06-18-2009, 10:35 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

Foxy
06-19-2009, 05:12 AM
It doesn't make much sense to me. He played superbly against Hewitt at RG. Best match since early clay season. Then this fuck up against the Sod. Soon after that we understood he was injured all the way. But after 2-3 weeks rest and no tennis he comes back in an exho match and is looking pathetic. As if the injury got worse despite all the medical care, therapies etc. There are 2 explanations - either Toni is completely exaggerating and Rafa is tanking and being cautious or Rafa is completely done for now. Sad but true.

Laba
06-19-2009, 08:29 AM
It's hard to fathom, yes... :sad:

Mimi
06-19-2009, 08:33 AM
It doesn't make much sense to me. He played superbly against Hewitt at RG. Best match since early clay season. Then this fuck up against the Sod. Soon after that we understood he was injured all the way. But after 2-3 weeks rest and no tennis he comes back in an exho match and is looking pathetic. As if the injury got worse despite all the medical care, therapies etc. There are 2 explanations - either Toni is completely exaggerating and Rafa is tanking and being cautious or Rafa is completely done for now. Sad but true.
may be its easier for him to defeat Hewitt even if he was injured coz hewitt could not do much damage on clay? while Soldering is more powerful?

i think most probably he will not play wimby, it would be embarassed to go out in first round :sad:

but think it more positively, at least he has won wimby and he is not empty handed this year for slams, he won AO, he is still young, may be after some rest, he will be better, i am sad and angry, but we just have to think more positively, agassi still was winning slams at 30, may be our rafa also could :wavey:

Laba
06-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Rafa doesn't have a light draw if he is to play.

shawshank
06-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Terrible draw!
Terrible situation!
I'm afraid we are all in the saddest moment of Rafa's career.
Even if he plays he won't past Hewitt in R2 :(

uefa_007
06-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Terrible Terrible Draws for rafa .
I think it will be something like this :
Clement ,Hewitt , Tursunov , Davydenko/Roddick . Murray and then the Finals !

Laba
06-19-2009, 12:54 PM
He hasn't even played his second exho yet, and I don't expect good news in the press conference after it. :(

Metis
06-19-2009, 01:12 PM
photo from yesterday's match:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/SPORT/06/19/wimbledon.nadal.federer.murray.williams.draw/art.jpg

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SPORT/06/19/wimbledon.nadal.federer.murray.williams.draw/index.html

:awww:

cmurray
06-19-2009, 01:14 PM
photo from yesterday's match:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/SPORT/06/19/wimbledon.nadal.federer.murray.williams.draw/art.jpg

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SPORT/06/19/wimbledon.nadal.federer.murray.williams.draw/index.html

:awww:

:sad: Poor little Rafi.

fnuf7
06-19-2009, 01:15 PM
When is the 2nd exho & thus decision on his Wimbledon participation? I may be a Federer fan but I also like & appreciate Rafa, I want him to be able to at least try to defend his Wimbledon title so hope his knees don't stop that happening but at the same time I wouldn't want to see him trying to play through pain & going out early anyway in an embarrassing fashion (if indeed the knee is that bad & would affect him so much). If the knee is bad then I don't think he should risk it, rest it, treat it & come back fully fit whenever that is. Playing injured could do more damage. That said I hope it isn't too bad, that he can play & play well.

LinkMage
06-19-2009, 03:25 PM
MIT Prediction: WIN :zzz:

kaylee
06-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Look tendonitis can flare up at any time and also get better quite quickly. Rafa has been having treatment and yesterday he was rusty and couldn't move as well. Perhaps the treatment is now helping how are we to know? You guys make me nauseous.

Seville
06-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Rafa has lost to Wawrinka 4-6, 7-6.

The scheduled press conference has been delayed until later tonight.

l_mac
06-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Rafa has lost to Wawrinka 4-6, 7-6.

The scheduled press conference has been delayed until later tonight.

The score was 4-6 7-6 10-3

Angel333
06-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Rafa will not play in Wimbledon!!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

:crying2::crying2::crying2:

Metis
06-19-2009, 07:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4272537

No. 1 Nadal withdraws from Wimbledon

Associated Press

WIMBLEDON, England -- Defending champion Rafael Nadal (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=261) withdrew from Wimbledon on Friday because of tendinitis in his knees.

He is the first reigning Wimbledon men's champion to not defend the title since Goran Ivanisevic in 2002 -- and only the second in the last 35 years.

The grass-court Grand Slam tournament begins Monday.

"I'm just not 100 percent," the No. 1-ranked Nadal said in a news conference at the All England Club. "I'm better than I was a couple of weeks ago but I just don't feel ready."

His announcement came about 2½ hours after he lost to Stanislas Wawrinka (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=264) in an exhibition match on grass at the Hurlingham Club in south London. Nadal also lost an exhibition there to 2002 Wimbledon champion Lleyton Hewitt (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=306) on Thursday.

Nadal has complained about his knees since his fourth-round loss at the French Open on May 31 ended his streak of four consecutive championships at Roland Garros. Later that week, he pulled out of the Wimbledon tuneup tournament at Queen's Club, then went to Barcelona to have tests on his knees.

"I think I reached the limit right now. I need to reset to come back stronger," Nadal said.

Asked what sort of threat the knee problems might present to his career moving forward, he said: "It's not chronic. I can recover for sure."

The good news is... he's getting better :)

born_on_clay
06-19-2009, 07:25 PM
I hate tennis

Johnny Groove
06-19-2009, 09:11 PM
So he's out. The best thing for him now is to rest.

star
06-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Ah well. I think we knew this was a good possibility.

Rafa must reconsider his schedule and his preparation in a new light.

Seville
06-19-2009, 11:03 PM
The good news is... he's getting better :)

No, he is not getting that better. At the Spanish presser, without the language barrier, he stated a much gloomier situation.

TMJordan
06-19-2009, 11:40 PM
MIT Pick:

Put me down for da win. :worship:

Getta
06-20-2009, 12:14 AM
MIT Pick:

Put me down for da win. :worship:

I was just wondering... until when is Jordan going to keep the backstabbing knife in reserve? :angel:

Seville
06-20-2009, 12:21 AM
Some of his comments at the Spanish presser (I dont know if I will be able to do an understandable translation):

1)"My current problem is I'm playing worrying about my knees, not about the matches, and it's very difficult to compete if you feel like that".

2)"Sportmen and physical pain often live together. But it's sometimes very difficult to realize about the limit or about how much farther you can go. I think I have really reached the limit at the moment and I need a cleaning to come back with my strength built up. I have been playing in pain for 9 months and I have kept on doing efforts. In Madrid I underwent another medical checkup and 4 edemas -2 in each knee- were found".

3) "There is not a date for my return to courts. It will be when I feel fine again. I think it's going to take a long time, because I need to have a real recovery, not to put just a patch on as we have been doing in the last months".

4)The reason for his physical problems -"Perhaps it's my fault, my mistake. I want to play every tournament because it really hurts not to be there. Then I am willing to push my body more and more, week after week. That erodes your physical condition in the end. But this time I have hit the bottom mentally -I'm exhausted from enduring pain".

5)"If you ask me what my biggest mistake has been, I would say, in the heat of the moment, that it was to play at Madrid Open. But I don't know if I am right".

Laba
06-20-2009, 12:21 AM
...gutted. :sad:

Getta
06-20-2009, 12:25 AM

5)"If you ask me what my biggest mistake has been, I would say, in the heat of the moment, that it was to play at Madrid Open. But I don't know if I am right".

He knows he's right.

cmurray
06-20-2009, 12:37 AM
He knows he's right.

Me too, Getta. I felt then it was a terrible mistake and now I'm just so furious that he played that I can't stand to think of it.

Jordan, don't be an asshole. :hug:

Mimi
06-20-2009, 01:24 AM
why is this clown allowed to mock rafa's injury at his fan forum? :shrug:

Mods, please enforce the crystal clear book of rules of this site and ban again this hata who comes to Rafaforum to bash and mock Rafa, thank you. If you don't, I'll smash your laptop.

agreed, lets ban him again, even roger had finally won FO, a bit help from rafa's defeat, but he is still not satisfied, jeering rafa and us most of the times, keep saying others who do not worship roger as haters, while himself is much more a hater, i wonder whether he is really 33 or 13? :rolleyes:

shawshank
06-20-2009, 02:01 AM
These are gonna be 2 saddest weeks of my life... :(
I can't wait to see you again champ!

Mimi
06-20-2009, 02:10 AM
These are gonna be 2 saddest weeks of my life... :(
I can't wait to see you again champ!

don't feel too sad, our rafa had achieved almost everything at this young age, it actually is very lucky that he finally had won wimby which no one guess he could and AO too, he is still young, with better rest, he will be all right, just stay patience and pray foir him :angel:

dorkino
06-20-2009, 02:56 AM
don't feel too sad, our rafa had achieved almost everything at this young age, it actually is very lucky that he finally had won wimby which no one guess he could and AO too, he is still young, with better rest, he will be all right, just stay patience and pray foir him :angel:

Mimi :hug: :hug: :hug:

star
06-20-2009, 03:06 AM
4)The reason for his physical problems -"Perhaps it's my fault, my mistake. I want to play every tournament because it really hurts not to be there. Then I am willing to push my body more and more, week after week. That erodes your physical condition in the end. But this time I have hit the bottom mentally -I'm exhausted from enduring pain".

Yes, Rafa, dear. This is what your fans have been saying for awhile.

Yes. And think about Barcelona too. :kiss:

Getta
06-20-2009, 03:58 AM
Yes. And think about Barcelona too. :kiss:

The tournament in Barcelona has a great sentimental value to Rafa. No way he's missing this tournament.

agreed, lets ban him again, even roger had finally won FO, a bit help from rafa's defeat, but he is still not satisfied, jeering rafa and us most of the times, keep saying others who do not worship roger as haters, while himself is much more a hater, i wonder whether he is really 33 or 13? :rolleyes:

To be honest, I have a deep respect for Jean Marc while some stupid Rafa fans make my skin crawl.

Mimi
06-20-2009, 04:07 AM
The tournament in Barcelona has a great sentimental value to Rafa. No way he's missing this tournament.

To be honest, I have a deep respect for Jean Marc while some stupid Rafa fans make my skin crawl.

may be you haven't seen enough of his great masterpieces since you only joined at 2007 ;), its ok that you like him, everyone has his/her own opiinion :wavey:

Getta
06-20-2009, 04:23 AM
I've always focused on maximising the quality of comprehension while minimising the unproductive time.

Mimi
06-20-2009, 04:57 AM
Mimi :hug: :hug: :hug:

yuyuyu:tears:, dorkino :hug::smooch: i never forgot the joy i had when rafa won wimby last year, i re-watch the dvd from time to time, i am crazy, i also re-watch the dvd of goran's fairy tale win in wimby 01 for at least, 100 times (just the last few games though) :rolls:

Castafiore
06-20-2009, 06:15 AM
Good for you but that still doesn't change the fact that he should not be trolling in here in my opinion. He knows that but he just couldn't help himself.

Foxy
06-20-2009, 06:32 AM
I am leaving early tomorrow for London. I will try to enjoy it as much as possible giving the circumstances.
Taka care all of you! :wavey:

dorkino
06-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Seville
1)"My current problem is I'm playing worrying about my knees, not about the matches, and it's very difficult to compete if you feel like that".
2)"Sportmen and physical pain often live together. But it's sometimes very difficult to realize about the limit or about how much farther you can go. I think I have really reached the limit at the moment and I need a cleaning to come back with my strength built up. I have been playing in pain for 9 months and I have kept on doing efforts. In Madrid I underwent another medical checkup and 4 edemas -2 in each knee- were found".
3) "There is not a date for my return to courts. It will be when I feel fine again. I think it's going to take a long time, because I need to have a real recovery, not to put just a patch on as we have been doing in the last months".

Thanks Seville for posting it. And i think it tells almost everything. :shrug: Rafa needs to reschedule his priorities badly. At least we hope he understands his lesson right.

yuyuyu, dorkino i never forgot the joy i had when rafa won wimby last year, i re-watch the dvd from time to time, i am crazy, i also re-watch the dvd of goran's fairy tale win in wimby 01 for at least, 100 times (just the last few games though)

Yep Mimi :hug: :hug: . I'm very sad for him too :sad: , but i remember when you said, Rafa winning Wimbledon and AO when no body expected him to win is an unforgettable and a satisfying achievement . Thankfully , Rafa made his fans happy while it lasted . Praying he'd get himself back together again .

Good for you but that still doesn't change the fact that he should not be trolling in here in my opinion. He knows that but he just couldn't help himself.

I think JM likes it here. But there're worse posters who deserve a kick.

shawshank
06-20-2009, 09:40 AM

You are simply an example how we should cope with news like this.
I know you are right but last weeks are that sad that my good wishes to Rafa increased to maximum. I also watched his final few times and this just brings the best memories in tennis. It made Wimbledon even more valueable for me than any other tournament. This was a dream come true to me. And this year I saw Rafa in Paris live and I just couldn't imagine how he could have lost. When you see your hero live you are rooting for him even more. Also the rankings are bothering me.
I just have to repeat to myself: "Hey, he won more than anybody else at this age and he will come back even stronger and win a lot more"
Unfortunetly, we have to wait at least 6 weeks till Canada TMS.
It will be long 6 weeks but waiting for Rafa is always worth it.

Guy Haines
06-20-2009, 09:55 AM
If you like Nadal this is a bleak time. But sports aren't only a matter of victory. One of the areas where Nadal distinguishes himself is in fighting like hell and taking the win, or the defeat. He's already been part of (and won) so many classic matches because there is no one who can match him when it comes to this.

Don't give the gloating haters fodder, because fodder is all they are. They're what is known as a 'bad matchup.' For themselves -- in life. :wavey:

Because of his uncle and upbringing, Rafael -- who isn't Toni, or his parents -- has the philosophical sense to be ready for some soul-searching. I don't know if that can be said so truly about any other player on the tour. This year might not be a happy memory for him, but it could be a valuable one.

Castafiore
06-20-2009, 11:22 AM
I think JM likes it here. But there're worse posters who deserve a kick.
Oh, I like JM and he knows it (I think). I just don't want him trolling in here. He gets a lot of leeway in the chat thread as it is.

JM is a great guy once you get to know him but I get the impression sometimes that he's being treated like a favorite pet. (no offence, JM):
"Oops, he peed on your living room carpet. But isn't he just adorable?"

shawshank
06-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Ángel Ruiz Cotorro:
"En 3 ó 4 semanas, Nadal estará al cien por cien"

"Tiene una lesion en la rodilla. Es una tendinitis de hace tiempo. En los ultimos días había mejorado, pero lo que está claro es que él es el que tiene las sensaciones y sabe si puede rendir al máximo nivel"

"Ha tenido un tratamiento muy intensivo, que creo que hay que seguir y después con reposo y trabajo de fisioterapia y de potenciacion muscular será suficiente para que Rafa vuelva a jugar al máximo nivel"

"Desde un punto de vista medico el circuito es muy exigente, y cuanto más arriba esta mucho mejor. Creo que el problema esta en que los partidos de tierra están muy apretadas. Los grandes torneos de tierra se disputan todos seguidos, practicamente sin descanso, ese es el problema. Todo el circuito esta un poco apretado"

"¿Cuándo estará Nadal al 100 %? En 3 ó 4 semanas creo que estará al cien por cien. Esta ha sido una circunstancia especial por el torneo que había, en el cual él ha querido con todas sus fuerzas intentar jugarlo y en esta situación se ha llegado un poquito justo".

I can't translate it all but it sounds quite positive. Cotorro is the one who knows Rafa curious case the best and when he says that Rafa will be ok in 3-4 weeks it sounds very good to me. Moreover, he said that Rafa was feeling even better the last few day and that Rafa will comeback to tennis at maximum level.
Good to hear something like this in those sad days.

star
06-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Oh, I like JM and he knows it (I think). I just don't want him trolling in here. He gets a lot of leeway in the chat thread as it is.

JM is a great guy once you get to know him but I get the impression sometimes that he's being treated like a favorite pet. (no offence, JM):

Yeah -- plus he doesn't pee by accident, but on purpose. Writes his name in pee.

It's not adorable to me.

wildegirl05
06-20-2009, 05:32 PM
gutted about rafa's withdrawal.

Yeah -- plus he doesn't pee by accident, but on purpose. Writes his name in pee.

It's not adorable to me.

:rolleyes:

acionescu
06-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Translation of Shawshank's post

Ángel Ruiz Cotorro:
"In 3 or 4 weeks, Nadal will be at 100%"

"He has a knee injury. It's a tendonitis since some time now. In the last days there was improvement but what it's clear is that he is the one who has the sensations and knows if he can give at maxim level"

"He underwent a very intense treatment, that I think we have ti continue and then with rest and work of phisiotherapy and of muscular empowerment(?) it will be enough for Rafa to come back to his maximum level play"

"The Tour is very exigeant from a medical point of vue and when you are at the top it's even more. I think that the problem is that the clay season is very compressed. The big clay tournements are all disputed in a row, practically without rest, this is the problem. All the Tour is a little compressed"

"When is Nadal gonna be at 100%? In 3 or 4 weeks I think that he's gonna be at 100%. This was a special circumstance because of the tournement in discussion, in which he wanted to try to play with all his forces and in this situation we were almost there".

Castafiore
06-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I'm not a total fangirl of JM like you are. Shoot me. :rolleyes:
Get a grip.

Anyway, enough of him in here.

From Andy Murray's presser:

Andy Murray
Saturday, 20 June 2009

Q. Can we ask your reaction to Rafa's withdrawal from the tournament?
ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, it's obviously a shame. You know, I think over the last couple of days it was kind of expected. Sounded like he was struggling in the matches that he played.

But obviously, you know, always disappointing if someone like him, you know, pulls out of, you know, Wimbledon especially when he was the defending champion.

You know, I'm sure everyone would have liked to have seen him here. You know, I enjoy watching him play. He's my favorite player to watch, so I'm sure the fans and stuff that wanted to come to see him will all be disappointed. But he's got to do what's best for him.

Q. Would you have liked to have the opportunity to get revenge for last year here, or do you see it more of an opportunity for yourself now?
ANDY MURRAY: No, I mean, if I got to that stage. I mean, I would have had to have won five matches before I would have had to play him, so I wasn't thinking about playing Nadal at all. If that opportunity came, then I'd obviously look forward to it any time I play him. It's a great challenge.

He's one of the best players ever. So, you know, always nice to play against him. But I definitely wasn't thinking about that.
Great answer from Murray. :)

And from Serena's press conference:
Serena Williams
Saturday, 20 June 2009

Q. What was your reaction when you heard Nadal was out?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Uhm, I was sad. I'm a huge Nadal fan. I'm sure there's a lot of guys on the men's tour who were probably celebrating and partying.
Q. I wanted to ask you about Rafael Nadal's decision of quitting the tournament. I don't know what you think about that.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, you know, I think it sad, but he's extremely young, and he has plenty more Wimbledons. And I think that, uhm, he'll totally be fine. Health is most important. It's number one.

Source: www.wimbledon.org - via vb

wildegirl05
06-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Get a grip.

yes, we're pining away without you in his fangirl ranks. but comparing him to a dog that pisses on the carpet and then adding that awesome "no offence". you get a fucking grip.

dorkino
06-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Get a grip.

Anyway, enough of him in here.

From Andy Murray's presser:

Great answer from Murray. :)

And from Serena's press conference:

Source: www.wimbledon.org (http://www.wimbledon.org) - via vb

I like the way things go between Murray and Rafa. Very nice of him this comment. :)

cmurray
06-21-2009, 12:59 AM
I like the way things go between Murray and Rafa. Very nice of him this comment. :)

I agree, Noura. Rafa and Andy have a nice mutual respect for each other. I really enjoy it. :)

NaDALiTa
06-21-2009, 01:39 AM
it was an expected disappointement in a way,he struggled since Madrid to hide his injury,but the fans can't be fooled!It was bound to happen,just he delayed it as much as possible :( Hope he gets well soon,but he must take all the needed time to recover.He'd rather skip a few tournaments than shortening his recovery time and thus spread the injury over years!

Castafiore
06-21-2009, 07:54 AM
yes, we're pining away without you in his fangirl ranks.
WTF? Did I say that you were pining away?
We...who is "we"? Do you have a fansite somewhere?

but comparing him to a dog that pisses on the carpet and then adding that awesome "no offence". you get a fucking grip.
The "no offence" has to do with liking JM up to a point... (it's not a black & white thing for me)
but without :inlove: every trick he pulls. I'm sure that he dislikes certain things I write as well which is fine because I'm not applying for the miss popularity contest on MTF anyway. I prefer to be honest with him.
The dog comparison is apt IMO. Obviously you're going to disagree with me on it. Fine.

Edit to add something that's actually about Nadal:

He is ruled out for the next DC tie (surprise, surprise) and the forecast right now is a return in full form on August 8th (Montréal) but Rafa indicated that he's only going to come back when he's 100% (regardless of his ranking as a result of it).
(Source: diariodemallorca.es - with a huge thanks to reyes from vb)

NaDALiTa
06-21-2009, 11:07 AM
He is ruled out for the next DC tie (surprise, surprise) and the forecast right now is a return in full form on August 8th (Montréal) but Rafa indicated that he's only going to come back when he's 100% (regardless of his ranking as a result of it).

That's a wise decision!I've read in an interview for the newspaper As Rafa telling that playing Madrid was one of the biggest mistakes he made in his career:rolleyes:

dorkino
06-21-2009, 11:48 AM
WTF? Did I say that you were pining away?
We...who is "we"? Do you have a fansite somewhere?

The "no offence" has to do with liking JM up to a point... (it's not a black & white thing for me)
but without :inlove: every trick he pulls. I'm sure that he dislikes certain things I write as well which is fine because I'm not applying for the miss popularity contest on MTF anyway. I prefer to be honest with him.
The dog comparison is apt IMO. Obviously you're going to disagree with me on it. Fine.

Edit to add something that's actually about Nadal:

it was an expected disappointement in a way,he struggled since Madrid to hide his injury,but the fans can't be fooled!It was bound to happen,just he delayed it as much as possible :( Hope he gets well soon,but he must take all the needed time to recover.He'd rather skip a few tournaments than shortening his recovery time and thus spread the injury over years!

That 's good to hear he is finally analysing things and taking some good decisions hopefully he'll be fine but health comes first. And Madrid was a big mistake but wasn't the only one.

star
06-21-2009, 09:40 PM
That's a wise decision!I've read in an interview for the newspaper As Rafa telling that playing Madrid was one of the biggest mistakes he made in his career:rolleyes:

Did he say it was the "biggest mistake in his career?" I thought he just said it was a big mistake in terms of handling his injury.

I don't think Madrid can expect him next year He disliked the "altitude" and now he has a sour taste because of his decision to play there in the first place.

l_mac
06-21-2009, 09:58 PM
gutted about rafa's withdrawal.

yes, we're pining away without you in his fangirl ranks. but comparing him to a dog that pisses on the carpet and then adding that awesome "no offence". you get a fucking grip.

JM knows he shouldn't come in here trolling, wg. It's one thing on the chat thread, but it's probably not a great idea on other parts of the forum.

MariaV
06-21-2009, 10:00 PM
The number one ranking is gone anyway. :sad: :shrug:

kaylee
06-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Yes he stated that Madrid was a mistake to play. I am not a Roger fan but one of the things I think heas going for him is his scheduling. There was no reason Rafa had to play 4 tournaments back-to-back. Hopefully next year Monte Carlo and Rotterdam he will give a miss. I think this is also a good lesson that your body cannot take abuse day in and day out.

Good night all!

l_mac
06-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Rafa's withdrawl made the front and back pages of most of our newspapers yesterday.

Even more gutted that he doesn't get to walk on court as defending champion because, despite Fed's insistence last year that people were more sad for Fed than happy for Rafa :retard:, the Brits seem to have taken a real shine to him. The media loves him.

star
06-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Rafa's withdrawl made the front and back pages of most of our newspapers yesterday.

Even more gutted that he doesn't get to walk on court as defending champion because, despite Fed's insistence last year that people were more sad for Fed than happy for Rafa :retard:, the Brits seem to have taken a real shine to him. The media loves him.

It's really hard not to love Rafa.

At least if he had walked on as defending champ, it wouldn't have been in a cheesy outfit. :p

Minn
06-21-2009, 10:12 PM
Just think of what we could have seen - Fed in his new waiter's outfit holding the plate while Rafa holds the trophy. :sad:

MariaV
06-21-2009, 10:12 PM

Fed can talk whatever :bs: he likes. I watched last year's final again and people were definitely more happy for Rafa. :D

Minn
06-22-2009, 12:20 AM
It was RG, Queens and Wimbledon that convinced me to finally join MTF last year. :awww:

star
06-22-2009, 12:22 AM
It was RG, Queens and Wimbledon that convinced me to finally join MTF last year. :awww:

Had you been reading here before then?

Minn
06-22-2009, 12:48 AM
Yeah, but not for too long or too often.

l_mac
06-22-2009, 12:58 AM

Really? Did you read General Messages, because that is probbaly when the board was at its most foul.

Minn
06-22-2009, 01:05 AM
Yes, I did read GM some. It was definitely foul but I was never there as much as many of you seem to have been. I remember reading the girlfriend thread and rolling my eyes, as I still often do when I read that thread. Despite the negativity in GM and the ridiculousness of some of the girlfriend thread, I liked the Rafa forum in general. I didn't venture into the chat thread even to lurk until I joined.

star
06-22-2009, 01:07 AM
Yes, I did read GM some. It was definitely foul but I was never there as much as many of you seem to have been. I remember reading the girlfriend thread and rolling my eyes, as I still often do when I read that thread. Despite the negativity in GM and the ridiculousness of some of the girlfriend thread, I liked the Rafa forum in general. I didn't venture into the chat thread even to lurk until I joined.

:hug: Excellent taste.

Minn
06-22-2009, 01:09 AM
Thank you. :hug:

l_mac
06-22-2009, 01:14 AM
http://cellar.org/images/smilies/puke.gif

Minn
06-22-2009, 01:19 AM
:lol: :shrug:

star
06-22-2009, 01:20 AM

Sorry to disturb your delicate senses.

rafa_maniac
06-22-2009, 04:34 AM
Depressing news indeed, all I can hope is it means that for once he'll be well rested for the final months of the year. Time to take the US Open boy :rocker2:

acionescu
06-22-2009, 04:42 AM
It's really hard not to love Rafa.

At least if he had walked on as defending champ, it wouldn't have been in a cheesy outfit. :p

You're very kind calling that outfit cheesy :hatoff:

:awww: Get well soon :hug:

Mimi
06-22-2009, 07:06 AM
I am leaving early tomorrow for London. I will try to enjoy it as much as possible giving the circumstances.
Taka care all of you! :wavey:

Take care, Foxy, and don't forget to bring umbrella and wear rain coat :p

Mimi
06-22-2009, 07:09 AM
You are simply an example how we should cope with news like this.
I know you are right but last weeks are that sad that my good wishes to Rafa increased to maximum. I also watched his final few times and this just brings the best memories in tennis. It made Wimbledon even more valueable for me than any other tournament. This was a dream come true to me. And this year I saw Rafa in Paris live and I just couldn't imagine how he could have lost. When you see your hero live you are rooting for him even more. Also the rankings are bothering me.
I just have to repeat to myself: "Hey, he won more than anybody else at this age and he will come back even stronger and win a lot more"
Unfortunetly, we have to wait at least 6 weeks till Canada TMS.
It will be long 6 weeks but waiting for Rafa is always worth it.

you should not feel sad at all, you are much more lucky than me, i don't think i will ever have chance to watch rafa live as there is no more atp tourney in Hong Kong since Salem Open 03 :mad:

when rafa wins again, you will soon forget the sadness :wavey:

Mimi
06-22-2009, 07:10 AM
If you like Nadal this is a bleak time. But sports aren't only a matter of victory. One of the areas where Nadal distinguishes himself is in fighting like hell and taking the win, or the defeat. He's already been part of (and won) so many classic matches because there is no one who can match him when it comes to this.

Don't give the gloating haters fodder, because fodder is all they are. They're what is known as a 'bad matchup.' For themselves -- in life. :wavey:

Because of his uncle and upbringing, Rafael -- who isn't Toni, or his parents -- has the philosophical sense to be ready for some soul-searching. I don't know if that can be said so truly about any other player on the tour. This year might not be a happy memory for him, but it could be a valuable one.

great posts as always :worship:

Turquoise
06-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Get well soon, champ :hug: Rest the mind, body and soul and please come back healthy and fully recharged. One of my personal wishes is to see Nadal challenge for the golden slam at the US Open, if not this year then sometime in the future. He deserves it.

Seville
06-22-2009, 12:02 PM
I can't translate it all but it sounds quite positive. Dr Cotorro is the one who knows Rafa curious case the best and when he says that Rafa will be ok in 3-4 weeks it sounds very good to me. Moreover, he said that Rafa was feeling even better the last few day and that Rafa will comeback to tennis at maximum level.
Good to hear something like this in those sad days.

Yes, Dr Ruiz-Cotorro knows Rafa's physical problems very well. But I'm not sure if his public words can be entirely trusted. Some years ago he openly spoke on the biggest taboo about Rafa's health -a degenerative disease in his feet that also caused chronic muscular problems in his legs. The Spanish sports press made a fuss writing about the end of Rafa's career, or at least its short length, and the Mallorcan got really cross. He imposed silence on his circle (team, doctors, relatives)about this subject, because his uncle Toni also spoke about that. Since then Dr Ángel Ruiz-Cotorro has been much more diplomatic when talking about Rafa's health.

Seville
06-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Did he say it was the "biggest mistake in his career?" I thought he just said it was a big mistake in terms of handling his injury.

You are right, Star. That was what he said about Madrid Open 2009.

star
06-22-2009, 12:49 PM
:wavey:

Seville
06-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Yesterday in La Vanguardia, the most important Barcelona newspaper: The real thing about Nadal: he is injured, but he is also affected by his parents' divorce.

La realidad de Nadal

Tiene una lesión, pero la separación de sus padres también le ha afectado

Dagoberto Escorcia | 21/06/2009 | Actualizada a las 00:14h | Deportes

Si ha habido algo que haya destacado de Rafael Nadal por encima de los poderosos golpes que ofrece en la pista eso siempre ha sido, sin duda alguna, lo que casi todos hemos coincidido en llamar su alto grado de madurez, su capacidad para saber estar en cada momento, su notable comportamiento en todas las situaciones, ya fuera en la victoria, en la derrota o a la hora de manifestarse sobre un hecho puntual. La grandeza de este campeón, que apenas tiene 23 años, pero que está dando alegrías al deporte español desde los 17, se pudo confirmar una vez más el viernes pasado cuando en Wimbledon ofreció una conferencia de prensa para anunciar que renunciaba a disputar el torneo más importante del año porque las rodillas seguían doliéndole pero, principalmente, porque había tocado fondo mentalmente.

Muy pocos deportistas son capaces de reconocer un problema semejante en público. El campeón se ha agotado, sufre un desgaste y lo admite. No ha hecho el ejercicio fácil de muchos otros que hubieran preferido esconder el problema o autoengañarse. El Rafa Nadal que ha llegado a número uno del mundo, y que está a sólo un título de sumarse a la exigua lista de campeones de todos los Grand Slams, ha necesitado rendir siempre al ciento por ciento de sus capacidades, porque con menos no sería el mismo. No sólo las físicas, importantes en su juego, sino las psicológicas, o mentales como llama el propio Nadal. Ese ejercicio de proclamar abiertamente los problemas verdaderos que tiene lo aleja de la negatividad que a veces produce el silencio. Nadal ha hablado y dice sentir necesidad de limpiarse. Podía seguir jugando pero no obtendría el rendimiento que siempre ha tenido, y lo que más parece preocuparle es su cabeza.

El chico en realidad tiene un problema en sus rodillas pero por lo que dice da la impresión de estar afectado por un problema mayor. Es su cabeza la que no está como tendría que estar. A Nadal no lo han desgastado sólo las derrotas en la pista, que han sido pocas, ni esa cantidad de triunfos que ha obtenido, sino algo para lo que quizás no estaba preparado. Puede que esté afectado por una combinación de factores que se han sumado, entre ellas esenciales como la separación de sus padres. Y porque las rodillas le fallan, porque ya tiene 23 años y no 17, porque ha aprendido que no puede estar jugándolo todo, por eso decide parar y hacer como un reset a su cuerpo y mente. Él tiene capacidad para recuperarse y voluntad le sobra.

Da la impresión que Nadal necesita oxígeno, que busca un aire nuevo. Es el momento del entorno, de ese entorno que siempre hemos alabado por haber creado un fenómeno tan monumental, un fenómeno que lo ha ganado casi todo en los últimos cinco años, que lo ha soportado todo y que incluso ha estado jugando con dolor. Nadal seguramente tenía que haber renunciado a jugar en Madrid pero no lo hizo por mantener los compromisos y sobre todo porque es un torneo español.

El gladiador de la tierra es humano. Y cuando hablamos de que este es el momento del entorno, queremos decir que es ahora cuando Nadal necesita más ayuda. También de la prensa. No es momento de preocuparse por la pérdida del liderazgo mundial y porque ha renunciado a Wimbledon o no jugará la Copa Davis en Marbella. Es momento de dejar que el campeón, ese chico maravilloso que tanta felicidad ha dado al deporte, ese deportista admirable, se recupere. No pasa nada. Roger Federer también detuvo un momento su marcha tras pasar una época de crisis. Y ahora vuelve a vencer. Parando también muchas veces se gana.

http://www.lavanguardia.es/deportes/noticias/20090621/53727885092/la-realidad-de-nadal.html

So when he said at the Spanish presser that he was "exhausted from enduring pain", perhaps it was not only physical pain.

star
06-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Yesterday in La Vanguardia, the most important Barcelona newspaper: The real thing about Nadal: he is injured, but he is also affected by his parents' divorce.

http://www.lavanguardia.es/deportes/noticias/20090621/53727885092/la-realidad-de-nadal.html

So when he said at the Spanish presser that he was "exhausted from enduring pain", perhaps it was not only physical pain.

Is it official? Or is it still at the rumor stage?

Castafiore
06-22-2009, 01:20 PM
It's not been officially confirmed yet, star.

Dr. Cotorro indicated that he expects Rafa to be fully recovered in 3 to 4 weeks. (Source: Marca - June 20)

Jamie Murray:
The loss of Rafael Nadal leaves the event short of a lot of its charisma. I agree with Andy, he is my favourite player to watch, the way he plays is truly inspirational. You had to think that one day his knees might come to grief. It is unfortunate that the No 1 tournament in the world has to do without the No 1 player and defending champion because what he has given to the game has been pretty amazing. But you can only deal with so much pain.
The Times - entire article (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article6540564.ece)

(all info (and more, I'm only posting fragments) found on vb)

Seville
06-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Is it official? Or is it still at the rumor stage?

In Spain this kind of things are rarely official. There is a detestable gossiping press focused on show biz people, but well-known people for more 'reputable' reasons are usually respected and what happens with their families is considered to be a private matter. For example, Prime Ministers' children never appear on the media.Their spouses rarely do it. Many people know about Nadal's family,of course. But they are not celebrities. And funny enough,if Rafa is chased by some paparazzi in Mallorca, they are rarely Spanish.

If somebody in the quality press is talking about a subject like this that usually means it is true.

JolánGagó
06-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Given the source, it's true. La Vanguardia would never publish such a thing if it weren't 100% true.

uefa_007
06-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Guys how are u able to watch Wimbledon ?? :(

kaylee
06-22-2009, 08:28 PM
there are many streams you can choose. Depends on your computer really. www.channelsurfing.net www.justin.tv www.adhte.net

uefa_007
06-22-2009, 10:01 PM
there are many streams you can choose. Depends on your computer really. www.channelsurfing.net www.justin.tv www.adhte.net

lol :worship:

I did not mean how to watch the matches as such , but how do u maintain the same level of interest or do u ignore tournament totally without rafa ? ;)

(My bad in posting a incomplete question :))

star
06-22-2009, 10:49 PM

I did not mean how to watch the matches as such , but how do u maintain the same level of interest or do u ignore tournament totally without rafa ? ;)

For me, it's sort of like the tournament lost it's heart.

I still watch because I like the green grass courts and there are players I like to see, but I don't have the same level of interest.

Getta
06-23-2009, 03:47 AM

I maintain the same level of interest.

kaylee
06-23-2009, 03:31 PM
me too mainly cos I am British and I cannot ignore the green grass courts - sigh happy memories!

Johnny Groove
06-23-2009, 08:52 PM

Personally, I'm still very interested in the tournament, but it does feel just a tad bit empty without the defending champ.

MariaV
06-24-2009, 05:46 PM

Oh, if you want to know about me, I'm enjoying the great summer weather that finally arrived and only just now switched on my TV to watch some Wimbledon. I couldn't care less about it now, I'll only watch if I feel like it and have a moment. And finally I can relax and not worry about any result. :D :D Federer has the title in the bag already anyway. :zzz: :zzz: :yawn: :zzz: :zzz: :yawn: :zzz: :zzz: :yawn:

duong
06-25-2009, 10:44 AM
I read an article on a French website specialized in tennis,

saying that the Times has confirmed that Rafa's parents are separating.

I believe it's the Times in London, as the French journalist is there for Wimbledon.

I didn't see this mention on the Times "online", maybe it's on paper version.

Seville
06-25-2009, 10:53 AM
I read an article on a French website specialized in tennis,

saying that the Times has confirmed that Rafa's parents are separating.

I believe it's the Times in London, as the French journalist is there for Wimbledon.

I didn't see this mention on the Times "online", maybe it's on paper version.

It was Times online a couple of days ago. That article and others about the same topic are in the forum.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=34482&page=123

Foxy
07-01-2009, 03:53 PM
I came back finally from London. It was a great experience. I will make a summary later. Although Rafa was not there I enjoyed it fully. I felt even better because I didn't have to worry when he will play, how is he feeling etc. No pressure at all. Just enjoyed it.

Cheerz. :)

star
07-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Oh, Foxy! Glad you had a good time. I look forward to your report.

Mimi
07-02-2009, 02:09 AM
I came back finally from London. It was a great experience. I will make a summary later. Although Rafa was not there I enjoyed it fully. I felt even better because I didn't have to worry when he will play, how is he feeling etc. No pressure at all. Just enjoyed it.

Cheerz. :)

welcome back, Foxy:D:wavey:

Foxy
07-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Oh, Foxy! Glad you had a good time. I look forward to your report.

I arrived in London early on Sunday 21st. A friend of mine who is living there took me with his car and did little sightseeing by car. Anyway, I will describe mainly my Wimbledon experience.
I planned to go early on Monday 22nd to the queue. I planned to be there around 7:30 am. But when I arrived at Southfields metro station I found I have left my camera's battery at the appartament charging. Took the next train back home. It was good the distance was only 6-7 stops as I was settled in Central London. Finally after I took my battery I was at Wimbledon queue at 8:30. It was a long wait - around 3 hours when the queue started moving and after 1 more hour I was in the complex.

The first player I saw was Djokovic training at court number 16. I wasn't that impressed by him. He wasn't playing great. Then tried to study around the complex and watch matches on every single court as much as possible. I watched a little from Blake and Seppi at court 3 (the ex court n2). I watched also Almagro - Monaco at court n12. It was a fabulous 5 setter. I stayed there only one set.

I went to the entertainment area to measure my serve. Guess what happened? I guy in front of me hit a decent serve and during the follow through his racquet slipped away and hit straight the ground. Broken. He said sorry and vanished silently. :) After waiting for a while for the boy there to find another racquet I was finally able to clock a 83.3 mph serve. Not that bad.

I don't remember much in details so I beg your pardon. Next I remember is I went to watch our boy Grigor Dimitrov practice session with his coach Peter Lungren. It was nice entertaining practice session as Dimitrov tried some trademark roger's shots which to my dismay worked our pretty well.

Later I went to the resale tickets office and queued for court n1 ticket. When I got it I went to watch Verdasco - Ward match from start to finish. I enjoyed it fully. The atmosphere was great having in mind Ward is English.

Before I left I managed to watch for a few minutes Alize Cornet's match as I am a fan of her too. After that I left Wimbledon and went for a deserved rest. I am pretty sure I missed many things but nothing hugely important. By the way I managed to see Safin's and Karlovic's pratice sessions... :)

The Wimbledon complex is inspirational. Lots of flowers, great venues, nice people and everything is so well organised. I think I like it more than RG. :D

Tomorrow if you insist I will share my story for my second and last day at Wimbledon (not in London though :D)- Thursday 25th.

star
07-02-2009, 08:06 PM
:bigclap:

Terrific! 83.3 is pretty good. Can't wait to hear the rest.

I'm a little surprised you liked Wimbledon better than RG. Is it because of the way it looks or what?

Foxy
07-02-2009, 08:15 PM
:bigclap:

Terrific! 83.3 is pretty good. Can't wait to hear the rest.

I'm a little surprised you liked Wimbledon better than RG. Is it because of the way it looks or what?

I went to RG for the last days and watched just the legends and some pratice sessions - Rafa's and Safina's. Separately of course. So now I went for the first days and watched pretty much everybody I wanted to see.

I liked the Wimbledon complex more. I guess because the grass was still fresh, everything was so green and the atmosphere was so perfect... The venue looked awesome from Aorangi hill. I will share tomorrow the rest of the story. :) Probably I will attach some pictures if I have enough time.

Cheerz.

Mimi
07-03-2009, 02:26 AM
:bigclap::yippee: great, thanks for the detailed report, I enjoyed it very much, of course I have interest on hearing your report on your last day of visit :dance:

Foxy
07-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Thursday 25th.
I managed to join the queue earlier. Around 8 am. I don't know why but the time went by faster than on Monday. The queue was moving faster too. I managed to go inside the complex at around 11:30 am. And to my dismay the place was even more crowded than on Monday. There was a queue for about everything. The place was so crowded that you have to be 2m tall in order to watch a match or take pictures on outside courts. After I checked who was at the practice courts (Gulbus, Fish even Blake who already was out) joined the queue for court n3 where Kuznetsova was playing. I wasn't impressed at all.

When I was at the pratice courts I overheard a couple of roger fanatics rog was going to pratice at 1 o'clock. So I managed to get my ass from court n3 to aorangi pratice courts at around 1:20. And finally was able to see rog pratice live. At first I didn't recognise him. He looked way different than on TV. He is slimmer but with broad shoulders. Like a slim rugby player. He was joking around and didn't take his pratice seesion seriously. It is easy when Rafa is not around! :) Watched him 10-15 minutes, made some pics and movies and left.

I had a plan to watch Ana Ivanovic's match against Erani. They were scheduled to play at court number 18. But the queue was sooooo long.I joined it when the previous match was still on. And waited there over an hour. By the time I finally sat in the stands the first set of Ivanovic's match was in the history books. So I managed to watch the whole second set and made lots of pics and movies. And enjoyed the match a lot. Ana looked gorgeous.

After that I strolled around the courts. Saw glipses of Ferrer's match and Davydenko's match. Nothing impressive. Then I decided to queue for a resale ticket for court n2 where Ferrero and Santoro were playing. I needed to see the magician. :) I watched the second and the third sets. The match was pretty entertaining with lots of magician shots from both players. The sun was burning hot so I decided not to push myself to the limits and go home since my missions were accomplished. :)

That was the story of my 2009 wimbledon experience. The rest of the days in London I spent sightseeing. Saw the city from above on London Eye. I went to the Aquarium, London Zoo, climbed the Monument. Crossed the river by boat from Westminster to Greenwich. I got pictures at the 0 meridian. Went to see the Thames Barrier. Walked around the old city where the bullet like building and Lloyds buildings are. Walked around the new city - Canary Wharf. I will surely miss something. My friend drove me to Stonehenge, Windsor and Oxford in one day. It was a wonderful trip...

Later in a week or so when I upload the pictures from London to my site I can give you the link. That is for now.
Thanks for reading.

star
07-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Wow!! You got a LOT done! :bigclap:

Thanks for taking the time to write it all down for our enjoyment. :hatoff: