The "Life is Completely Unfair, But We are Proud to be Your Fans" Grass Season Thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The "Life is Completely Unfair, But We are Proud to be Your Fans" Grass Season Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Deboogle!.
06-03-2009, 04:48 AM
:banana: It's that time :D Andy's already in London, if the draw gods are nice to Andy he should have a good run this year :D

tennis lover
06-03-2009, 11:42 AM
:banana: I've got tickets for the Wimbledon semis - BE THERE RODDICK!!! :D

kaylee
06-03-2009, 03:30 PM
oh wow lucky you! This is the only time I get homesick, silly I know.

DartMarcus
06-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Common Andy! :D

Fumus
06-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Andy will likely have to beat Murray and Nadal for the title or at least one. Should be a good test for him.

EDIT*
By title I mean Queens

kaylee
06-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Sorry Queens will always be the Stella Artois championships to me none of this Aegon rubbish! I agree Ryan will be a tough test but having said that both Murray and Nadal have to win as well!!!!!

Raina
06-03-2009, 07:14 PM
I will go to the Queen's on Wed & Thur, I am so excited already!:woohoo:

BigJohn
06-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Equalling his best showing at the AU. Improving one round at the French Open. Could that run of fine performances during majors continue at Wimbledon?

tsurupettan
06-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Yeah, here's to hoping for a good draw. I want to say more, but I feel like I'll jinx it. :lol:

knight_ley
06-03-2009, 10:10 PM
:woohoo:

tennis lover
06-04-2009, 01:16 AM
Yeah, here's to hoping for a good draw. I want to say more, but I feel like I'll jinx it. :lol:
it's too late for that - see my previous post! :o I am the queen of jinx. :sobbing:

Selby
06-04-2009, 07:37 PM
I see I'm not the only one who's getting really excited for the grass (short) season, hopefully my expectations aren't too high and I won't be disappointed.
The key for Andy in my opinion will be to play a bit more aggressive and to show a more attacking game than he has showed so far this year, despite the fact that it has been a pretty successful year so far. I think he should use his improved agility as an advantage he maybe didn't really have, say, last year rather than, maybe, relying on it too much like he did in certain matches this season.
The serve of course will be crucial, all those kick serves on clay made me miss Andy's 135,140+ MPH huge serves but it was never a problem on grass :)
If he does that, the chances for an early exit like last year won't be too high. obviously the draw will also play a part.

Good luck Andy! :woohoo:

Fumus
06-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Oh schnapp!! Did you guys see this thread from the GM!?!

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=145137

Court will play faster than it has for the past 10 years.

Deboogle!.
06-04-2009, 08:58 PM
I saw it, let's hope it's true. And let's hope for Andy to get a good draw

tsurupettan
06-05-2009, 01:54 AM
it's too late for that - see my previous post! :o I am the queen of jinx. :sobbing:

:lol: Aww, well, in that case, now that the bases are covered as far as jinxing goes... nah, jk, haha. :p

DartMarcus
06-05-2009, 11:12 AM
I don`t rally care about Queens. The most important tourny is Wimby of course. Losing in another qf or sf will be as bad as losing in 1st rounds. Reaching final is the other story :D

Fumus
06-05-2009, 02:46 PM
I saw it, let's hope it's true. And let's hope for Andy to get a good draw

Nadal out of Queens with knee problem. Now we really need Andy to get on Nadals side of the Wimbledon draw. Hell, I hope he's in Nadal's quarter.

kaylee
06-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Awww Ryan that's not nice heehee but I agree for once let Andy NOT be in Roger's side of the draw, sigh it would be a change. Do I see a Queen's 5th title coming I do hope so.

andymo
06-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Awww Ryan that's not nice heehee but I agree for once let Andy NOT be in Roger's side of the draw, sigh it would be a change. Do I see a Queen's 5th title coming I do hope so.

Andy has a good chance. Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are not in Queens but Murray is. I believe in Andy.:wavey:

DartMarcus
06-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Waiting for the draw :D
I don`t want Andy to get Monfils in his prt of the draw :o
Karlovic and Cilic can also be dangerous :lol:

Deboogle!.
06-06-2009, 03:39 PM
I'd love him to play Monfils on grass.. I think Andy'd beat him fairly easily esp on the queens grass.

the two croatians.. yeah, them being far away from andy would be good :lol: especially at wimbledon :lol:

Tytta!.
06-06-2009, 03:47 PM
I'd love him to play Monfils on grass.. I think Andy'd beat him fairly easily esp on the queens grass.

:speakles:

Deboogle!.
06-06-2009, 03:48 PM
:ras:

Tytta!.
06-06-2009, 04:21 PM
:ras:

I love you too sister :kiss:

Kate87
06-06-2009, 05:04 PM
first match against Vliegen or MayerTheGreat :D then probably Lleyton

http://www.atpworldtour.com/1/posting/2009/311/mds.pdf

DartMarcus
06-06-2009, 05:13 PM
So Hewitt, Karlovic, Cilic, Tipsarevic :lol: can damage Andy before semis :rolleyes:

Selby
06-06-2009, 05:15 PM
I think it's a bad draw, Andy should win Hewitt in the 3rd round but Cilic in the QF :scared:

Deboogle!.
06-06-2009, 05:31 PM
:haha: Of course :haha:

Deboogle!.
06-06-2009, 07:54 PM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2009/311/MDD.pdf

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: x257

Kate87
06-06-2009, 08:09 PM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2009/311/MDD.pdf

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: x257
what a match :bowdown: :haha: :bowdown: :haha: :bowdown: :haha: :bowdown: :haha: :bowdown: :haha:

Selby
06-06-2009, 08:24 PM
OMG playing doubles with Rajeev Ram :haha::haha:
I want Andy to play against the twins, that would be just so AWESOME!

Hey, I thought Nestor and Zimonjic weren't playing in Queens! bummer...

Deboogle!.
06-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Yeah, and look who they play AGAINST :haha:

I'm sure they will not make it to the twins :lol:

Tytta!.
06-06-2009, 08:27 PM
or the twins aren't gonna make it to them? :spit:

Kate87
06-06-2009, 08:29 PM
or the twins aren't gonna make it to them? :spit:
probably this :worship:

Tytta!.
06-06-2009, 08:30 PM
probably this :worship:

you know me, i had to :haha:

Fee
06-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Andy and Andy look like they might be getting ready for a twitter spat (Justin's cruising the Amalfi coast this week, so Mr. Decker has no one to play with I guess). Right now they are just picking on each other's hats.

Selby
06-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Andy could even win Hewitt and Murray alone :lol:
But we are really due a Andy-twins match after the twins ruined it in Indian Wells! :crying2:
But we wouldn't be able to watch it anyway...

kaylee
06-07-2009, 12:55 AM
Exactly no doubles even on tv except at the slams!

tsurupettan
06-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Andy and Andy look like they might be getting ready for a twitter spat (Justin's cruising the Amalfi coast this week, so Mr. Decker has no one to play with I guess). Right now they are just picking on each other's hats.

Yeah, I read that. :lol: But I agree with Andy (R.) -- how could he not post that? :rolls:

But Murray's response seemed pretty testy/snippy. Though that may just be how he talks/banters in general, eh, idk. :shrug: I'm not all that familiar with Murray's [joking/teasing] talking/behavior.

Deboogle!.
06-07-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm hardly Murray's biggest fan, but it seemed obvious to me he was just kidding. those brits have a different sense of humor remember;)

Fee
06-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Yeah Murray's response was very dry humor, as in 'how could something so gross be considered lucky'? Would be nice to see the two Andy's continue their banter this week, but if it keeps raining I think they will both be too cranky and fed up to kid around.

Deboogle!.
06-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Well it sounds like Murray's being able to hit on the grass and andy's practices keep getting pushed back and indoors, so I hope Andy's not pissed for a different, much more valid, reason :tape:

Selby
06-07-2009, 06:27 PM
tweet:
"props to fed.... thats an unreal accomplishment and puts and end to the GOAT question in my humble opinion"

Such a jerk, right? ;)

Isn't GOAT a MTF term? :lol:

Deboogle!.
06-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Nah, I've seen it used a lot in the tennis media :lol: anyway, I will keep further comment to myself ;)

Deboogle!.
06-07-2009, 07:43 PM
so the epic doubles match is scheduled last (5th) tomorrow, with rain in the forecast and a 12:30pm start I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen :lol:

kaylee
06-07-2009, 10:17 PM
sigh and I will have to scramble round the internet trying to find an online view - still I will not give up!

Kate87
06-08-2009, 03:25 PM
:rocker2:

Fumus
06-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Andy vs. Andy final...with tennis being the winner.

DartMarcus
06-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Vliegen gets a chance to meet Andy :D

Kate87
06-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Inverdale & Roddick play table tennis

Former world number one Andy Roddick tells BBC Sport's John Inverdale that the high standard in the men's game has "forced" him to become a better player.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/8089965.stm

tsurupettan
06-08-2009, 05:30 PM
I thought it must be something like that. :D

And I'm wondering what this whole wager thing Andy just mentioned on his twitter is about that has to do with Bob and Mike... :lol:

tennis lover
06-08-2009, 05:52 PM
I do not like the blue stands at Queens, it looks weird. :sobbing:

Deboogle!.
06-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Yes, it really does :o :it's not just blue, it is B.L.U.E. :lol:

Heather1229
06-08-2009, 06:15 PM
is there a stream at all?

Fumus
06-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Is http://www.tennistv.com/page/Home/0,,11444,00.html, showing it?

Fumus
06-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Awww...car Ram Rod losses!! HewMur was the victor.

Deboogle!.
06-08-2009, 06:54 PM
andy/vliegen is 2nd tomorrow :)

kaylee
06-08-2009, 07:09 PM
oooo thanks Deb I can watch it when I get to the office heehee!

tangerine_dream
06-08-2009, 08:17 PM
TWEET:

andyroddick no ramrod jokes

:spit: :haha:

tsurupettan
06-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Andy knows the fans all too well. :cool: :p

Fumus
06-09-2009, 12:46 PM
TWEET:

andyroddick no ramrod jokes

:spit: :haha:

:worship::worship:

kaylee
06-09-2009, 02:28 PM
OK the stupid commentator I am listening to just called Andy Pete Sampras *thud*

Fumus
06-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Good win for Andy.

Key stat here was...Andy 3/3 on bps. If he wants to have any shot at winning Wimbledon, that's going to be the most important stat.

Dominating 1st round performance though. :yeah:

kaylee
06-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Yes I saw the match it was good!

Deboogle!.
06-09-2009, 03:20 PM
andy :yeah:

Jade Fox
06-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Good win for Andy.

Key stat here was...Andy 3/3 on bps. If he wants to have any shot at winning Wimbledon, that's going to be the most important stat.

Dominating 1st round performance though. :yeah:

Great that he managed to convert all of his break points. Now keep it up Andy!

DartMarcus
06-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Bad news: Andy`s Wimbledon perfomance was jinxed: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=145555 :o
So now we should hope Andy won`t get tipsareviched in R1 this time :haha: :lol:

Fumus
06-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Bad news: Andy`s Wimbledon perfomance was jinxed: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=145555 :o
So now we should hope Andy won`t get tipsareviched in R1 this time :haha: :lol:

Actually threads that portend success for a player whose name is misspelled are actually good omens.

kaylee
06-09-2009, 08:00 PM
hahaha yes I wondered who "Roodick" was.

tangerine_dream
06-09-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm going to start a Muzza will Wimbledon AND the US Open thread. :D

kaylee
06-09-2009, 08:45 PM
oooo good idea Tangy!

partygirl
06-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Only if he brings his Gay pride hat;)

blosson
06-09-2009, 09:10 PM
It's a nice win but the Belgium dude was playing tre-terrible - not sure it was a good way of measuring Andy's form.

blosson
06-09-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm going to start a Muzza will Wimbledon AND the US Open thread. :D

He's not that bad. He's a descent guy, serious about tennis, social causes and loyal to his sponsors. He's got the same sponsors since he was a kid - as per his own words they came in when he and his family most needed and it's payback time.:)

tangerine_dream
06-09-2009, 09:27 PM
I didn't know Murray was an animal lover (I just read that in tennis mag). It's getting harder and harder to troll this guy. :mad:

Fumigator winding up the Fedtards in GM. :lol: I still can't believe how some of them still so threatened by Andy, even now that Roger is a GOAT (GLOAT?). That's awesome. Vamos Andy. http://i23.tinypic.com/34e2nhh.jpg

*edit*

Andy looks quite young to me in these recent photos at Queens. :scratch:

I miss the Stella Artois red but I like the blue well enough.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7894/roddickqueens.jpg (http://img197.imageshack.us/my.php?image=roddickqueens.jpg)

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=201955&d=1244471113

*edit*

Adding pics from the match. :)

partygirl
06-10-2009, 06:16 AM
*edit*

Andy looks quite young to me in these recent photos at Queens. :scratch:

I miss the Stella Artois red but I like the blue well enough.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7894/roddickqueens.jpg (http://img197.imageshack.us/my.php?image=roddickqueens.jpg)

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=201955&d=1244471113Here is one showing his old age:lol:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=202018&stc=1&d=1244610813

I fear he is becoming manorexic...can hardly recognize him from behind me thinks.:p
http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=202019&stc=1&d=1244610813

OnyxRose
06-10-2009, 06:50 AM
I don't know when it happened but I quite like Muzza these days. He's the only person besides Andy #1 whose Wimbledon win wouldn't send me into fits. I gag at everyone else (well, maybe Nadal as well).

Andy #1, please get your fifth Queens title!

Caren
06-10-2009, 11:48 AM
:sad: I doubt i'll get to see much of this weeks tournament, full time work sucks when tennis comes onto my screen.

But back to the point, hopefully Andy can get back to his grassy best, the results have been a little dismal the past few years, i would love to see him get back to his best, hopefully getting into the second week of RG has given him the bconfidence boost he needs :)

Deboogle!.
06-10-2009, 03:35 PM
A. RODDICK/K. Vliegen
6-1, 6-4
An interview with:
ANDY RODDICK
THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.
Q. Couldn't have made a better start, could you?
ANDY RODDICK: No, I feel pretty good.
I thought I served well, I thought I returned well at times. It was pretty solid all around. I just kind of wanted to try to get it in before I gave it a chance to rain on us.
No, I was happy with it.

Q. Bit of patience in the second set before you got a break?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I don't -- for the first two or three games in the second set, I don't know if I returned great and then kind of found it again. I was putting returns in play for the last couple of games and I was making play.
He had a pretty bad volley error in that second to give me a break point, but if you put enough pressure on, that's what happens
sometimes.

Q. I saw in your Twitter site that you were talking about Federer's win and his place in history. Can you tell me a little bit
about how the players have reacted to that, that victory? Is there much talk about it?
ANDY RODDICK: About?

Q. Federer's victory.
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, of course there's talk about it. What do you want to know about it?

Q. I just want to know when you guys talk about it, do you talk about it in terms of -- do you have the same discussions we have in the pub about, you know, greatest-of-all-time debate?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I mean, I think -- you know, I think he certainly puts forth the best résumé ever now, you know, certainly in
the last, you know, 30 years or so. You're having that argument right now as if his career is finished. I mean, he's very much
still going, so, you know, if his career is a finished product, you'd have a hard time saying he wasn't or didn't have the most complete résumé now that he won there. I mean, that was kind of the one thing people would talk about.
Now that he's done that, it's tough to really find much.

Q. Is there a feeling amongst the players that perhaps now he's equaled Pete's record and the history has been lifted off his shoulder in that sense he could take his foot off the pedal, or are people thinking now he'll be even more dangerous?
ANDY RODDICK: I don't think -- that's something we don't take -- that's just trying to predict the future. No one but Roger is going to know that.
You know, I don't see him as the type that's satisfied, if that's what you're asking.

Q. And do you think he can possibly be more dangerous now?
ANDY RODDICK: More dangerous than what? (laughter.)

Q. Now he's got no real sort of pressure on his shoulders.
ANDY RODDICK: There's always pressure. There's pressure every day. There's pressure in practice.
No, I mean, more dangerous than what? We're talking about a man who's been the best player of all time. So is he going to be more dangerous than the best player of all time? I don't really -- that's frightening.

Q. How about yourself? How is the grass feeling out there at the moment?
ANDY RODDICK: No, it felt good. I love coming to the grass. Coming from the clay to the grass is one of the happiest days of my year just because there's not a lot of adjustments to be made to my game to suit the grass.
I feel like I can kind of take it for what it is and just get out there and play. You know, on clay there's a lot more adjustments. There's a lot more that I personally have to think about out there. It was a welcomed change.

Q. Rafa has said today he's going to try and play at Wimbledon. He's got tendinitis in his knees. I wondered if you ever
had a similar problem and how long it might have taken you to recover.
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I mean, I've had tendinitis for years and years and years and years. You know, on a positive side for Rafa, it's not something that -- you know, it's uncomfortable and it's painful, but it's not something that's going to be a career-threatening injury if you play on it.
You know, it's kind of a fancy term for overuse. You know, I don't think that in my mind I ever thought that his Wimbledon defense was in jeopardy.

Q. You had a shoulder problem coming in to Wimbledon a couple years ago.
ANDY RODDICK: Last year.

Q. What's it like when you're not sure whether you're going to be able to play or not?
ANDY RODDICK: Um, it's -- I mean, it's probably easier when -- if you don't know whether you're going to play or not, you probably shouldn't. But it was pretty frustrating last year knowing that I could only, or I was almost -- you know, in baseball they call it a pitch count. I was only able to hit so many serves a day.
To try to be prepared and play, I felt I was going onto the court hoping as opposed to expecting. That's a tough thing. You know, it's not surprising -- at Wimbledon last year, when push came to shove and I had to produce, I didn't. I mean, I hadn't had the repetitions. I hadn't had the practice.
I think that's the toughest thing is just to -- a lot of times it's not battling through the actual pain of the injury; it's not being able to get the repetitions in that you need to go out there and do it.

Q. Do you think sometimes people perhaps who aren't involved with tennis underestimate the strain on the body playing just with the sheer regularity you guys do?
ANDY RODDICK: Yes. Yeah, I mean, I'm not really sure where to expand on that, but it's an 11-month season where you can't pass
the ball to a teammate and you pretty much have to show up every week; otherwise it's your loss.
You know, we play on different surfaces. We can travel to different continents one week and then -- you know, last year I played in Memphis one week and Dubai the next week followed by Palm Springs the week after that.
I think our tour is pretty unique in that. So you throw all that together, and there is a little bit of wear and tear there, yeah.

Q. Does the grass act as more of an equalizer? Are you less likely to hurt yourself on a grass court than you are, say, on the hardcourts which we know now are 75, 80% of tennis these days?
ANDY RODDICK: Uh-huh. Well, there's different types of things. You know, hardcourt you're going to get more wear and tear on, you
know, knees and stuff like that. But grass, you see a lot of the slipping, like groin pulls and kind of -- you see people slide. There's more of a danger of a quick pull than there is on a hardcourt. Obviously it's softer from a perspective of like a constant pounding or something like that.

Q. Do you think Federer's victory in Paris and Nadal's condition makes him a clear or clearer favorite for Wimbledon than, say, he would have looked a few weeks ago?
ANDY RODDICK: I mean, I don't know. I don't think so. I mean, this is all guessing.

Q. Yeah.
ANDY RODDICK: It's all guessing. I'm not going to guess. They're both great. They're both going to be favorites.
Rafa has had knee tendinitis for a long time and he's won Grand Slams while he's had it. I'm certainly not going to underestimate Rafa. I think he's going to be there. I think he's going to be fine, and I think he's going to put forth all the
effort he has. He's certainly proven that in the past.

Q. You would like to see yourself master three or four, wouldn't you?
ANDY RODDICK: I think so. I think I'm playing a lot better this year than I have in years past, and I've been getting deeper in
tournaments more consistently. I do love this surface. It's been a while since I've been coming in feeling like I've been
playing this well and been healthy for the grass court season.
I'm hopeful, but, you know, putting top four or five -- whatever. I just want to get through rounds.

Q. Your shoulder is 100% now?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, it's fine. It's good.

Q. You could face Lleyton Hewitt in the round of 16 here. What are your thoughts about that? Obviously you have quite a few Queen's titles between you.
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, obviously I think it's -- you'd expect to see that a little bit further on in the tournament, especially this one.
As you mentioned, I think we've won eight of these between us. So it's certainly tough, but that's the way tennis is. A lot of it is about the draw, and I certainly realize how tough of a matchup that will be. You know, hopefully he feels the same. You
know, it kind of is what it is. You go out there and you try and win it.

Q. When you're playing against players like Rafa and Roger, Slams who you have inferior records against, do you start
working on specific technical elements of your game, or does it become more a psychological thing?
ANDY RODDICK: I actually won the only time I played against Rafa in a Grand Slam.

Q. With Roger.
ANDY RODDICK: But Roger I definitely have not. (laughter.) :haha:
What was the question? I started doing stats in my mind about halfway through that. :rolls:

Q. Do you start working on technical elements of your game to sort of improve against him, or is it sort of more
psychological after a while?
ANDY RODDICK: It's not more or less.
I mean, it's tough to put a percentage on it. It's all those things. A lot of those things have to be going right to get through a Grand Slam. You know, I don't think you're going to change your technique on your strokes the day before you play, but a lot
of it is just -- a lot times you know what you have to do, but executing it is the hard part, you know.
That's why, you know, commentators have never missed a shot from the box, you know. It's all easy up there. A lot of times they can see patterns, and trust me, we can probably see them too, but it's a lot tougher when you're dealing with another person over there.

DartMarcus
06-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Andy is Captain Obvious :haha:

Fumus
06-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Commentators never missed a shot from the box, eh Andy? There's definitly some venom there, at least a little. After Andy was losing to all these guys in big events and stuff everyone had recommendations for his game and the way he should play. I know he's not oblivious to that stuff.

Deboogle!.
06-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Of course he's not oblivious, in fact a lot of tennis journalists have said he's actually quite sensitive to it - maybe more than he should be.

anyway, it'll be hewitt tomorrow

tangerine_dream
06-10-2009, 05:57 PM
That's why, you know, commentators have never missed a shot from the box, you know. It's all easy up there. A lot of times they can see patterns, and trust me, we can probably see them too, but it's a lot tougher when you're dealing with another person over there.
It must be so annoying to these players when fanboys and girls walk up to them and go "Why don't you just do this [insert unhelpful advice here]?" When Roger was getting all this advice on how to beat Rafa he always said he knows what he needs to do but executing it the way you want is much different when you're in the middle of the battle and staring your opponent down across the net.

Fumus
06-10-2009, 06:21 PM
It must be so annoying to these players when fanboys and girls walk up to them and go "Why don't you just do this [insert unhelpful advice here]?" When Roger was getting all this advice on how to beat Rafa he always said he knows what he needs to do but executing it the way you want is much different when you're in the middle of the battle and staring your opponent down across the net.

Of course he's not oblivious, in fact a lot of tennis journalists have said he's actually quite sensitive to it - maybe more than he should be.

anyway, it'll be hewitt tomorrow

Yea, I know that but that was his little jab there. I just thought it was interesting.

The Hewitt match in Memphis was a "cracker"...both the guys were banging the ball in that one. I hope I see a repeat with the same result tomorrow.

kaylee
06-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Yes should be a good one, btw Ryan don't get into arguments with people over in GM - they are all pains in the a$$ and really don't know what they are talking about half the time. It is too much of an effort to respond to some of their stupid logic. ;)

tennis lover
06-10-2009, 06:39 PM
I am in all day tomorrow so I should get to see his match. :banana:

OnyxRose
06-10-2009, 07:11 PM
It's such a shame that the two guys who have won more titles here than any other have to play so early. With that said, Andy tear Lleyton's head off!

Ahem.

kaylee
06-10-2009, 07:24 PM
hahaha well Lleyton didn't have a good start to his match today - I agree tho sometimes the draw really sucks!

blosson
06-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Andy should be able to overcame Lleyton these days. I watched Lleyton during RG and could not believe he was once number one and has 2 GS titles, a lot of people thinks the same about Andy but at least he still has his super serve. Lleyton at the other hand had nothing...he was just too ordinary.

tangerine_dream
06-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Hewitt's weapon was his speed. Years of wear and tear, age, and hip surgery took that away from him.

Deboogle!.
06-10-2009, 10:37 PM
It's hardly going to be an easy win for Andy, and I'm sure he knows that. Hopefully he is up to the task

Fumus
06-11-2009, 03:36 AM
Yes should be a good one, btw Ryan don't get into arguments with people over in GM - they are all pains in the a$$ and really don't know what they are talking about half the time. It is too much of an effort to respond to some of their stupid logic. ;)

I pick and choose my battles. Probably more than I should but that was too easy. If you are gonna bash a player get your facts straight, Andy is easy enough to bash you don't have to make stuff up. The GM is a talk fest with no listening. It's shouting and no talking. It's your friend that doesn't listen to you, that just say's "yea, yea, uh-huh" while not so patiently waiting for their turn to speak; yea it's that friend times 10. They don't care what you have to say, they just wanna spout their garbage. Some of them are very good, they should just get blogs that way they can just post without having to pretend to read. In my heart of hearts though, I love talking about tennis and I like getting into spirited discussions about players and the game. That's what I'm here for, that's why I post. :D:D:D

It's hardly going to be an easy win for Andy, and I'm sure he knows that. Hopefully he is up to the task

Andy gets up for Hewitt every time probably because Lleyton was such a nemesis for him at the start of his career.

MaitaBaby
06-11-2009, 08:01 AM
I haven't been here in forever!

Best of luck to Andy later on!

kaylee
06-11-2009, 02:47 PM
OK I am watching Queens online and this commentator is driving me nuts! You think PMac and co are bad this chap is worse. I would mute the sound but then I can't here the ball - but of course Andy Murray is playing and he just won't be quiet! The other thing is if the British press don't stop fawning over AM I am going to be sick. Sigh I can't wait for Andy R's match is anyone else a bit nervous???

tennis lover
06-11-2009, 03:38 PM
the BBC are trying to make people excited about the match and they've done one of their little video clip introduction things - they're billing it as "the brash australian" vs "the quiet american" :haha:

Deboogle!.
06-11-2009, 03:41 PM
WTF :haha: :haha: :haha:

tennis lover
06-11-2009, 03:42 PM
seriously! :haha: I almost spat out my drink when it popped up on the tv! :rolls:

kaylee
06-11-2009, 04:10 PM
that is hilarious! Umm I am too scared to watch Andy's match is that silly?

tangerine_dream
06-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Ivo up next. God almighty do I hate watching matches with that guy. :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
06-11-2009, 06:01 PM
I see there's a massive GM thread about Andy cheating? what happened?:lol:

Winston's Human
06-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Without venturing into GM, I assume that they are talking about the 4-2 point in the first tie-break where the ball was called out, Hewitt successfully challenged the call, and Andy convinced Gerry Armstrong that the point should be replayed because he could have played the ball.

kaylee
06-11-2009, 06:07 PM
yes that is what they are on about!

Winston's Human
06-11-2009, 06:07 PM
OK I am watching Queens online and this commentator is driving me nuts! You think PMac and co are bad this chap is worse. I would mute the sound but then I can't here the ball - but of course Andy Murray is playing and he just won't be quiet! The other thing is if the British press don't stop fawning over AM I am going to be sick.

The live-stream I watched had French-speaking commentators. It was quite enjoyable not being able to understand the blather.

Winston's Human
06-11-2009, 06:15 PM
I always say that, when GMers whine about Andy, it is a sign that he is doing well.

kaylee
06-11-2009, 06:38 PM
that is so true WH gah the same commentator is doing the Youzhny/Simon match yuk!

Selby
06-11-2009, 06:48 PM
WOW, not only Andy's a jerk, he's also a cheat! I heard he also rapes little girls just for fun...

Anyway, maybe it wasn't the best return match Andy's ever had, but he stepped it up in the TB's. That will definitely be the key against Karlovic.
Andy served great today, a lot of aces, a lot of 140+ MPH serves, I really enjoyed watching his service games.

kaylee
06-11-2009, 06:57 PM
I hope that first sentence was in jest otherwise hmmmmmmm.

tangerine_dream
06-11-2009, 07:04 PM
I like this photo of them used on the ATP site. What's the story behind it? I missed the beginning of the match.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=202066&d=1244743459

kaylee
06-11-2009, 07:06 PM
There was a security scare Tangerine so they stopped the match and the two were just jerking around and being silly I was told!

Selby
06-11-2009, 07:07 PM
I hope that first sentence was in jest otherwise hmmmmmmm.

Of course it was. For me, Andy's one of the nicest guys on the tour.

Deboogle!.
06-11-2009, 07:12 PM
there was some kind of fake bomb scare before their match, maybe they were laughing about that :scratch:

kaylee
06-11-2009, 08:20 PM
phew I was getting quite worried then - yeah me likes Andy toooo!!!!

tennis lover
06-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Ivo up next. God almighty do I hate watching matches with that guy. :rolleyes:
Ditto. :sobbing:
I see there's a massive GM thread about Andy cheating? what happened?:lol:
I hate to agree with anything that is said on GM but he basically did. I said at the time in the live score thread that what he did was not cool. :shrug:

tangerine_dream
06-11-2009, 09:07 PM
The best part is watching the Soderling fanboys go off on Andy's behavior in that thread.

TWEET 1 hour ago:

andyroddick to prepare for karlovic @dougspreen thought it would be a good idea to stand 4 feet away from me and throw ice as hard as he can to see if I can catch it.

:scratch: :lol:

Deboogle!.
06-11-2009, 09:22 PM
It sounds like he acted "uncoolly" but I wouldn't consider it cheating when the ump has the final decision. It's not like not admitting a ball hit the racquet or taking an opportune time out. I mean every player always argues they had a play on the ball.

tsurupettan
06-11-2009, 09:22 PM
I like this photo of them used on the ATP site. What's the story behind it? I missed the beginning of the match.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=202066&d=1244743459

:D The adorable-ness, I am almost blinded by it here.

I didn't get to watch the match today, but glad he got a win and :lol: at the tweet.

Jade Fox
06-11-2009, 09:32 PM
The best part is watching the Soderling fanboys go off on Andy's behavior in that thread.

TWEET 1 hour ago:

andyroddick to prepare for karlovic @dougspreen thought it would be a good idea to stand 4 feet away from me and throw ice as hard as he can to see if I can catch it.

:scratch: :lol:

Soderling Fanboys bitching about bad behavior would be like a fat dude wearing a "No Fat Chicks" shirt. :rolleyes:

Funny Tweet. :lol:

kaylee
06-11-2009, 09:35 PM
hahahah yeah two dorky jerks together!

blosson
06-11-2009, 09:41 PM
At least it was done in 2 sets. yay

tangerine_dream
06-11-2009, 09:55 PM
I'd like to see Andy break Ivo and beat him 6-3 6-4 and not by the usual 7-6(5) 7-6(3) scoreline.

tennis lover
06-11-2009, 11:34 PM
It sounds like he acted "uncoolly" but I wouldn't consider it cheating when the ump has the final decision. It's not like not admitting a ball hit the racquet or taking an opportune time out. I mean every player always argues they had a play on the ball.
yeah, I think cheating is a bit too strong a word but this is GM we're talking about. I can see their point though, that was what I meant. ;)

I am going to miss the match tomorrow to go shopping, what a shame! :D

kai.
06-12-2009, 12:36 AM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0eCF8Tah0r3II/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0btjfdp03i8R5/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gvc7Mtesn3Hy/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bB28vsbQy397/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06xQekkcJS5Hs/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gDr5u4gVa6wa/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09Bb57jfGRbwB/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0guK13e42M2b3/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0g3x9VWfuc11n/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/05pj6fb5UFe2p/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07xceMd7ZG66E/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0epBaMgeOc5eu/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/00l2c2OgZr4SD/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bhda9xfRgfaG/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gUqeU77Zx9D1/610x.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/f2/fullj.e9720406e85fd5d6e0576fed29efffe4/e9720406e85fd5d6e0576fed29efffe4-getty-tennis-atp-gbr-aegon_championships.jpg

OnyxRose
06-12-2009, 04:34 AM
Tomorrow's match is going to be painful. Ugh.

Fumus
06-12-2009, 05:27 AM

Andy is a great sportsmen. He's the first one to admit when a good shot is hit on him and Hewitt and Roddick clearly have a lot of respect for each other. Whether Andy had a play on the ball or not is irrelevant. Clearly he thought that he did have a play but the line call altered his thinking. The ball was slow enough imo that Andy could have made a desperate play on it had it not been called out...I guess. I'm mean it doesn't matter because Andy won that TB 7-2...so one point wasn't the difference, ya know?

Hard to take much from this match from what I saw and I missed the second half of the second set because I went to a picnic for work but, it seems like Andy played ok but not great. His serve percentage was low, he was conservative in his attacks and he didn't do a lot on Hewitt's service games. This worked because 2009 Hewitt makes a ton of UEs at inopportune times. This guy used to be bulldog and very stingy about UEs...:o Not anymore. This tactic will work against Ivo because he can't rally worth a damn but Andy's really gonna have to raise his level if he's even gonna beat someone like James in semis...and Murray in the finals. He just isn't playing aggressive enough for me.

kaylee
06-12-2009, 02:42 PM
good analysis Ryan but I think Andy knows that this is an important tune up and he will rise to the occassion! I think it will go to tiebreaks again as you said Dr. Ivo just loves to serve and not much else!

Deboogle!.
06-12-2009, 03:13 PM
A. RODDICK/L. Hewitt
7-6, 7-6

An interview with:
ANDY RODDICK

Q. Were you pretty pleased with that?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, it was tough out there today. The wind is blowing pretty good, and it's gusting. So I don't know if I ever felt comfortable, but I was able to just focus on holds and played all right in the breakers.

Q. Was it frustrating not to be able to get on top of him at any time?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I mean, I think it's always frustrating at times, you know, when you're kind of battling. But he knows how to use this surface to his advantage so well.
He keeps the ball low and kind of spreads it around, so it's tough. It feels like you're always hitting up at him as opposed to
getting a chance to really lay into one. It's a difficult matchup, especially on this surface.

Q. The first time the sun has shown on it really this week. Did it speed it up at all?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, it was quicker.

Q. There was that security there right at the start of your match. I mean, what were your thoughts going on when there was that holdup?
ANDY RODDICK: I mean, what are you going to do? Obviously your concern is with, you know, making sure everyone is safe. There
really wasn't much to be done, and I know they were trying to decide what they were going to do.
Obviously we were hoping we were going to get a chance to stay out there and play the match, but that was a first for me.

Q. What were you finding to talk about at the net with Lleyton?
ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. The Ashes. (laughter.)
I'm not -- I don't really know. I think we were talking about -- I think both of us commented we had never seen anything like this at the beginning of a match before, and, you know, maybe the weather. We actually did talk
about the weather.
It was actually, you know, the first time it hasn't been kind of cold and rainy and we might get booted.

Q. Are you expecting a few more tiebreaks in your next match?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. I mean, a lot of the points tomorrow will probably be like watching paint dry for the both of us. You know,
it is what it is. It's going to -- a lot of times it's a tossup.
And Karlovic, maybe more so than anybody else, it's just about winning points at the right time and maybe less about form, you know.
It's just a matter of if you can get a look at that serve enough times or not.

Q. Will you be asking Lleyton for any advice since he beat him a few weeks ago?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, he did. I've gotten him a couple of times. Yeah, got aced 55 times. Sort of a frightening number. That's almost three service games a set of just aces.

Q. Enjoyment of matches must basically come down to winning or losing, but I mean, do you enjoy a match against Ivo in a way you maybe enjoy playing Lleyton?
ANDY RODDICK: I think -- against Ivo there's so much that's out of your control. I
mean, a guy serves huge from 6'10", a lot of times, you're going to be walking side by side spectating.
I think you've just got to focus on holding your own serve, and I've done that against him in the past. You know, the only thing you can do is put yourself in a position is succeed, and it's a matter of if you get a shot or not.
But, you know, it's probably a lot less thought-provoking when you're out there on court than most players.

kaylee
06-12-2009, 04:18 PM
"watching paint dry" hilarious!!!!!!!

OnyxRose
06-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Who said that? Because it's so damn true. I had to turn it off.

He's making Dr. Ivo look competent. Seriously Andy, stop.

kaylee
06-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Andy did in the above presser yeah I am not watching it either!

OnyxRose
06-12-2009, 04:32 PM
I guess I skipped over that part. GM and his detractors tried to say this match is boring; well, yeah. And Andy already knows this as well. I think it's as tortuous for him to play as it is for us to watch.

DartMarcus
06-12-2009, 05:44 PM
How could anyone predict such a scoreline? :eek: :eek: :eek:
:lol:

Deboogle!.
06-12-2009, 05:45 PM
I don't know why they bothered to play the first 12 games in each set:haha:

tennis lover
06-12-2009, 05:54 PM
I didn't end up going shopping in the end and got stuck watching that boring match. :sobbing: I'm glad Andy pulled through, it's a shame he couldn't break at the end though. :awww: into the semis for the 7th year running :banana:

kaylee
06-12-2009, 06:12 PM
yayyyyyy!!!!

Jade Fox
06-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Is it possible to die from boredom? Cause I think almost did watching Andy/Ivo play today. :o

At least Andy won in straights. That's something I guess.

kaylee
06-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Haha I didn't watch for that very reason!

Deboogle!.
06-12-2009, 07:05 PM
please kick james's ass andy, thanks. :)

snaillyyy
06-12-2009, 07:11 PM

He really better!
Seems I missed an exhilarating match today ;)

tennis lover
06-12-2009, 07:25 PM
what she said :D

Jade Fox
06-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Seems I missed an exhilarating match today ;)

Indeed you have. A real nailbiter. :worship: ;)

partygirl
06-13-2009, 04:07 AM
I don't know why they bothered to play the first 12 games in each set:haha::haha:

Fee
06-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Yes Virginia, there is such a thing as too much blue at a tournament.

Does that event look as bad on TV as it does in the pictures? It's even more blue than the LA tournament.

kai.
06-13-2009, 07:52 AM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07Ire8Qaqo4ZG/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0c05dHkeDNdBY/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06Cq6KX8gjeUx/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09y79474YtcEi/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0czmeWigpn8xk/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/05O688EcwqbDS/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/061Ra6O64hf1t/610x.jpg

Deboogle!.
06-13-2009, 02:48 PM
A. RODDICK/I. Karlovic
7-6, 7-6
An interview with:
ANDY RODDICK

Q. Pretty much what you expected, then?
ANDY RODDICK: Yep. You know, you're not going to get many chances, especially if he's making first serves. In the tiebreakers, I
got a couple looks at some second serves. I don't think I lost a point on my serve in the tiebreakers, which seems to be about what you've got to do against him.

Q. Did that sort of match tell you anything about your game?
ANDY RODDICK: In some parts. I mean, you kind of have to hold your nerve a little bit on your own service games. It gets to 30-All, you know if you miss one ball, I mean, that could be a set, you know. You're not going to get any looks to get back into it. I think it's just a matter of, you know, you kind of have to go from not doing a whole lot in the points, kind of just walking back and forth, and then you have to be ready to be sharp when you do get the opportunity or when you do have to play a point. So mentally it's a little tricky.

Q. Pat Cash said this week that European players have a big advantage when it comes to footwork because they grow up playing soccer. What do you think about that theory, and would you consider it as a training technique?
ANDY RODDICK: I think it's extremely relevant. I think it's probably the reason also why you've seen a lot of big servers from the U.S. is because everything we do is overhead, whether it's American football or baseball. Even basketball is all done overhead.
So, you know, you normally see the guys from the States, they have pretty live arms. I don't think that's coincidental. I've actually speculated the same thing from time to time.
There's no way that it can't help you.
You know, if you grow up, the movements are similar with the small steps and, you know, kind of the burst of speed. I think that's spot-on.

Q. Will we see you out playing soccer sometime?
ANDY RODDICK: It's too late for me.

Q. You any good?
ANDY RODDICK: No. I play like an American. :spit: :haha: :rolls:

Q. You must have been pretty pleased with the lob?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. I asked the people sitting there if I should get bonus points because he was 6'10". The ref didn't agree. :rolls:

Q. Can you remember the last time where you won four tiebreaks in a row?
ANDY RODDICK: I don't know if I ever have. Wait. Yes, I have. Bercy in 2003. I think I
beat Hanescu 6 and 6, and I think I beat Robredo
6 and 6 the next round. Anyways, long time. (Oops, Sorry Andy (http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/5/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity.asp?query=Singles&year=0&player=R485&selTournament=352&prevtrnnum=0) :p)

Q. Frightening you can remember that.
ANDY RODDICK: But you remember probably most of the things you've written about. (laughter.)

Q. No.
ANDY RODDICK: Well, in that case, I'm just smarter. :haha:

Q. Can you talk about the mentality of the tiebreak? Do you actually enjoy them?
ANDY RODDICK: I like them. I mean, I've played enough of them in my career and I feel like -- you know, I serve well enough, and if I can put returns in the court, I appreciate the urgency of what you have to do in a tiebreaker.

partygirl
06-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Q. Can you talk about the mentality of the tiebreak? Do you actually enjoy them?
ANDY RODDICK: I like them. I mean, I've played enough of them in my career....

:mad:

Deboogle!.
06-13-2009, 03:22 PM
hey andy's ankles, fuck the hell off. thanks.

OnyxRose
06-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Gotdamn. Poor Andy.

Well, go Murray. I cannot stand the thought of Blake winning anything.

Selby
06-13-2009, 03:26 PM
:sad::sad::sad:

Jade Fox
06-13-2009, 03:27 PM
This sucks, this really, really sucks. I wanted an all Andy final!

Oh Andy. :hug: Get well soon.

OnyxRose
06-13-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm watching TTC and it's sad to watch him. *sobs*

Jade Fox
06-13-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm watching TTC and it's sad to watch him. *sobs*

I just want to give him a big ol :hug: right now. :sad:

partygirl
06-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Of course!

He should have kept his fatbody.
In this Twitter pic -skinny ankles:unsure:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=202088&stc=1&d=1244905726

Kate87
06-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Andy :sad: :hug:

Roddick hopeful over ankle injury

Andy Roddick remains confident he will be fit for Wimbledon after retiring hurt during his AEGON Championship semi-final against fellow American James Blake.

Roddick twisted his ankle in the third game and although he tried to continue, he was forced to withdraw with the scores level at 4-4 in the opening set.

"I'm going to do everything I can to play at Wimbledon," said Roddick.

He added: "We're scheduled to get it looked at again on Sunday and do some scans on it and see where we're at, but initial tests showed the stability and strength was okay.

"It's just a range of motion that's limited right now. So that's good as far as I'm not walking in here saying I'm going to be out six weeks or anything like that. We're looking at days, not weeks. My trainer and doctors don't think anything is torn.

Roddick insisted the often slippery grass-court had played no role in the injury and wrote it off as pure bad luck.

"I tried to hit a lob, and I was kind of almost just back pedalling. I just misstepped," he said. "There's a difference in height between where the grass court ends and where the concrete goes, and I just unfortunately stepped at a bad angle.

"It could have happened walking off a sidewalk down a curb. It's just one of those things."

"It kind of just twisted a little bit. Running straight ahead was all right but side to side was suspect.

"I was hoping I could walk it off and it would go away, but that wasn't the case. I don't like the feeling of walking out of a match at all.

"Obviously with the bigger picture in mind, I could only make it worse out there. I wasn't going to help my prospects at Wimbledon at all by going through the motions out there and moving at 20 or 30% of what I can."

"If I'm healthy, I don't think the injury will affect my chances at Wimbledon at all. I've had three and a half matches on grass but I think more importantly I've faced some tough circumstances in my last couple of matches."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gNxADctu9e0ByrrCWbKW2bcdD2fA

Tytta!.
06-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Blah :o Thanks, Kate :smooch: Andy :o

knight_ley
06-13-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm glad he says he'll be okay for Wimbledon. I was scared when I saw he retired...

kai.
06-13-2009, 08:15 PM
omg.. :S i hope he is right and he will be OK for wimby :)

oct06
06-13-2009, 09:36 PM
I saw the match. Wasn't pretty seeing Andy's ankle turn like that. When the trainer taped him up, he taped over the hair on Andy's foot. Ouch that will hurt when he removes the tape!

tennis lover
06-14-2009, 02:32 AM
:sad: I've just got home after a rubbish day ( :sobbing: ) and this news doesn't help, I really was expecting to see an Andy-Andy final tomorrow. :awww: get well soon Andy, I really hope he'll be ok for Wimbledon. :hug:

tsurupettan
06-14-2009, 03:03 AM
I really hope he's right and it is more a days-thing not weeks and he will be okay for Wimbledon... *crosses fingers* Bad luck, indeed.

Deboogle!.
06-14-2009, 03:06 AM
:sad: I've just got home after a rubbish day ( :sobbing: ) and this news doesn't help, I really was expecting to see an Andy-Andy final tomorrow. :awww: get well soon Andy, I really hope he'll be ok for Wimbledon. :hug:Jo :awww: :hug:

tennis lover
06-14-2009, 03:12 AM
Jo :awww: :hug:
aww, don't be too sad for me, my day really wasn't that bad, I just majorly embarrassed myself in front of someone I don't want to embarrass myself in front of! :o :sobbing: sucks about Andy though, I really hope he'll be ok. Damn me and my big mouth mentioning the semis, my jinxing powers just get stronger and stronger every day! ;)

Deboogle!.
06-14-2009, 03:26 AM
aww, don't be too sad for me, my day really wasn't that bad, I just majorly embarrassed myself in front of someone I don't want to embarrass myself in front of! :o :sobbing: sucks about Andy though, I really hope he'll be ok. Damn me and my big mouth mentioning the semis, my jinxing powers just get stronger and stronger every day! ;)aww :lol: well if it was a bad day, it was a bad day, doesn't matter what happened :hug:

Yes, hopefully he will be ok. Unbelievable how this always happens to him, and these guys go out wearing no braces in any match never have problems. I mean seriously :o he's gotta have retired from almost 10 matches over his career from hurting one of his ankles :sobbing:

tennis lover
06-14-2009, 03:30 AM
:hug: the rest of the day was quite funny :) (although my friends spent all day winding me up about what had happened! :sobbing: )

yeah, it's so weird. He's been so lucky to avoid any really serious injuries *touches wood* but he just can't help getting these stupid, freak injuries. :awww: sucks to be Andy right now! :awww:

tangerine_dream
06-14-2009, 06:19 AM
I hope you are all sitting down - two of our forum regulars have been quoted in this piece. I'll let you figure out who they are.
:worship: :haha: :rolls: :haha: :rolls: :worship:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/paul_kimmage/article6493136.ece

Andy Roddick, the supermodel and the cabbie
From The Sunday Times
June 14, 2009
by Paul Kimmage

The first serve whizzing by your ear at 150mph . . .

“Fifteen-love.” The first serve whizzing by your ear at 150mph . . .

“Thirty-love.” The first serve whizzing by your ear at 150mph . . .

“Forty-love.” The first serve whizzing by your ear at 150mph . . .

“Game Roddick.”

Can you imagine a more irritating bastard to play against? Try interviewing him; try rushing at him with a tape recorder; try lobbing a lame inquiry over his head. A colleague had sent me an email, warning me what to expect: Andy is incredibly quick-witted and doesn’t suffer fools. He likes to pull up interviewers with questions he regards as stupid, and turn it around to make them look stupid, and often succeeds. It can get a bit annoying, especially if you are on the receiving end, but essentially he’s a really good guy. I think you will get on well because he is very intelligent and a good laugh. If you were a friend of his, he would be loyal to the end.

It’s a Wednesday evening in London and we’re sitting in the lobby of his plush hotel, talking about his return to form and his coach, Larry Stefanki.

“He put you on a diet,” I suggest.

“I don’t think he put me on a diet,” he says, bristling.

“Okay, he suggested a diet?”

“No, he said, ‘Lose 10 pounds.’ ”

“The rule was no carbohydrates after midday?”

“No, I don’t think he really cared how I did it.”

“How much did you lose?”

“Fourteen or 15 . I didn’t weigh myself.”

“Was it hard?”

“No.”

“You’ve posted a photograph on your Twitter page . . . you’re having dinner at what looks like a sushi bar?”

“Yeah.”

“Was it a sushi bar?”

“No.”

“You’re wearing a pink hat.”

“I can’t talk about that.”

I’m getting jumpy. He’s giving me nothing. I can’t play the game at this pace. The essentially good guy? The loyal friend? I don’t see him. Roddick is absolutely crushing me.

“Is this hotel home for the next few weeks?”

“We normally do this during Queen’s and then move out to Wimbledon whenever this is finished. We’re over here for five weeks, it’s a chance to change scenery, try different restaurants and keep it fresh.”

“What about your support crew?” I ask. “Who have you got here?”

“This week, my trainer Doug is here. My coach is at home for his son’s middle-school graduation, so he’ll be coming back this weekend. And I’ve a friend of mine named Stephen Little — he’s actually a London cab driver.”

“A cab driver?”

“Yeah, we met six years ago. He came over for our wedding this year and he’s a real good friend of ours now.”

“How did you make friends with a London cab driver?”

And in that moment, everything changes.

Andy Roddick is sitting in a room of the Chelsea Village Hotel with Brad Gilbert. The month is June 2003 and the 20-year-old world No 6 is not a happy camper. Eight days have passed since his defeat to Sargis Sargsian, an unseeded Armenian, in the opening round at Roland Garros. A week has passed since he fired Tarik Benhabiles, his friend and mentor since boyhood.

It’s the eve of the Artois Tournament at Queen’s and as he sits down to his first meeting with Gilbert, who has signed on to replace Benhabiles, he complains of a terrible record on grass, and a terrible attitude to playing on it. “Which came first?” Gilbert asks.

“Brad, I don’t win many matches on the grass,” Roddick protests.

“Listen, you’re going to love grass,” Gilbert insists. “You serve huge, you have a great forehand. This surface is designed for you to play well.”

Roddick isn’t biting. “You can put a negative spin on anything if you work on it hard enough,” Gilbert observes. “You can talk yourself out of anything. But I’d like to think you can talk yourself into anything. Belief is a huge thing. If you don’t believe it, you’re not going to do it. If you believe it you’ve got a great shot.” Roddick smiles.

“Dude, read my lips,” Gilbert commands. “You’re going to go 12-0 [win all five matches at Queen’s, then all seven at Wimbledon] here on the grass. We start work tomorrow. What about dinner?” They step outside into the cool evening air and hail a taxi on King’s Road.

“Do you know where The Ivy is?” Gilbert inquires.

“Jump in,” the driver replies.

Twenty minutes later, they reach the West End and the cabbie is greeted by name at the door of the fashionable restaurant. Gilbert is impressed and requests a business card. The name is Stephen Little.

“Can you pick us up later, Stephen?” Gilbert asks.

“Sure,” Little says.

A few hours later, the 57-year-old cabbie is driving them back to Chelsea when he addresses Roddick for the first time: “So what do you do?”

“I play tennis.” Roddick says.

“Are you any good?”

“Some days,” Roddick says.

“He’s going to win Queen’s and Wimbledon,” Gilbert insists. “Are you a betting man? Put five pounds on him.”

“Okay, I will,” Little says.

The following evening, they hire the cabbie again and offer him a pass to the tournament. Six days later, Roddick lifts the trophy at Queen’s and books Little to drive him to Wimbledon. Three weeks later, they’re on first-name terms when Roddick loses the semi-final to Roger Federer.

Roddick has also lost his passport. The date is Friday, July 4. The US Embassy is closed. He is forced to spend the weekend in London.

“I think that was the thing that really did it,” Little recalls. “The embassy was closed and everybody else had gone home, and I stayed around and tried to help him.”

Six months later, Roddick had won the US Open and was the world No 1. Little followed his progress on the sports pages. Then his phone rang one night, on the eve of the tournament at Queen’s. “Hey, listen,” Roddick announced. “Instead of paying your ridiculous cab fare every time, why don’t we cut a deal for the month? Or maybe you could do some odd jobs for me?” They’ve been friends ever since.

In April this year, Roddick married Brooklyn Decker, a fashion model and star of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, in Austin, Texas. Sir Elton John played at the wedding. The guests included Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf and Billie Jean King and Mardy Fish and James Blake and a rather curious couple from London who have never even played at Wimbledon.

Roddick has his critics. He talks down to umpires; he’s condescending with the media; his game is a technical eyesore . . . but can a guy who invites a 63-year-old cabbie to his wedding really be all bad?

“You married a centrefold,” I suggest. “Your angel is a centrefold. Do you remember that song?”

“Centrefold makes it sound like Playboy,” he laughs, “but I definitely out-punted the coverage [exceeded expectations], so to speak.”

“How’s it going?”

“It’s going great. To be honest, and my parents say the same thing, until you have kids not a whole lot changes. My goal is to try and be a better tennis player every day, and she has her work in New York and comes when she can.”

“Is she here this week?”

“She’ll come over probably the weekend before Wimbledon. She was in Paris and went back to do some stuff in New York. She would be miserable if she just had to follow around all the time. That’s not really her groove. She likes to work and do her own thing.”

“It’s probably healthier that way,” I suggest.

“Oh, it’s great. I think that’s why we get along so well. We each are motivated.”

It's not easy staying motivated on Planet Federer. Roddick has lost three Grand Slam finals to the Swiss and was labelled a “Fed apologist” by some crank on Twitter last week for acknowledging Federer as the greatest of all time. :rolls:

“I don’t think it’s debatable now when you look at Fed’s resume,” he says, “but I’ve had a couple of snarky comments: ‘Why don’t you kick his ass instead of kiss it?’ and this, that and the other. And I promise that’s the plan, but it doesn’t always work out. :spit: :haha:

“I started loving this game when I was six, seven years old. I have an appreciation for the history of it all. And that [final in Paris] was a big moment in tennis history. So to not appreciate it is ridiculous.”

“Did you watch it?”

“No. I was practising with Mardy Fish and we were getting just the score updates.”

“Were you rooting for Federer?” I ask. “Were you hoping he would win?”

“Yes, I think so. He’s been there enough times in the final and probably deserved a shot at it. And for selfish reasons too . . . I want as few people as possible to win a Grand Slam. There’s only a few of us walking around at each tournament so selfishly I was hoping he would keep it that way.”

“You’ve lost two Wimbledon finals and a US Open final to him?”

“Yeah.”

“In hindsight, does it make it any easier that you lost to the greatest player of all time?”

“Probably not. I have played in four Grand Slam finals and I’ve played the No 1 player in the world at that time, four times. Am I going to be ashamed of my career? No. Am I going to go out there and try and beat him [Federer] every time we play? Yes. But I do think about it a lot.”

“You do?”

“Oh sure, how can you not?”

“In 2003 you won your first Grand Slam and ended the year as world No 1?”

“Yeah.”

“What if someone had suggested that you would play until Wimbledon ’09 without winning another one? You wouldn’t have believed it?”

“Probably not. But my first thought then would have been, ‘Jeez, I hope I just didn’t go away.’ And I don’t think that’s the case. Would I have been surprised? Yeah, I think at that point I would have been surprised.”

“How do you explain it? How tough has it been?”

“The worst I ever felt about myself as a tennis player was in 2006. I think I dropped out of the top 10 for the only time in my career and actually lost to Murray when he was 19. I remember thinking, ‘God! I don’t know if I’m going to be a relevant player [any more].’ And then Jimmy [Connors] and I got together and if you had told me after Wimbledon that I would make the final of the US Open, I would have said, ‘I’ll shave my eyebrows if that happens!’ I wasn’t confident at that point.”

“How difficult is that when you have experienced the highs of 2003?”

“You know, I sometimes feel like I have too much perspective for my own good because my worst day is a lot of people’s dream, so to sit here and say I live this life of constant disappointment is ridiculous. And I know a lot better than that. I look at the body of work and I think I’m 10 matches away from 500 wins. But certainly I’m hungry. I still want that second slam.”

“Have you set an immediate target?” I ask. “A ranking? A particular tournament you’d like to win?”

“I don’t know if there’s a dead-set thing. We use the term: ‘I want to get back in the conversation.’ That probably explains it best. Because I wasn’t in it. There’s the [top] four and I’m probably the next guy now, but I’m a hell of a lot closer than I was at the beginning of the year.”

cobalt60
06-14-2009, 02:01 PM
I of course have no idea whose quotes those are but that's not really surprising :p However I did enjoy the article so thanks for posting Tang-a-lang.

Deboogle!.
06-14-2009, 03:27 PM
OH MY GOD :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

tennis lover
06-14-2009, 04:04 PM
:haha: I remember reading the fed apologist comment on twitter but I have no idea who from this forum it is, could be any number of the idiots that post on GM. :shrug:

I just watched bits of the final, couldn't help but wonder what would have happened had it been an Andy-Andy final. :awww: Happy for Murray though. :D It's a shame that this means the Wimbledon hype is going to go though the roof over the next few weeks, it's going to drive me insane! :sobbing:

Jade Fox
06-14-2009, 04:42 PM
I bet he lurks on MTF as well going by that article. :lol:

If that's the case, Hi Andy! :wavey:

Kate87
06-14-2009, 05:15 PM
:spit: :haha: :rolls:

Great interview, thanks! :kiss:

snaillyyy
06-14-2009, 05:39 PM
OMG! :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Kate87
06-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Update From Trainer - Doug Spreen

June 14, 1:01pm GMT+5 by andyroddick.com

During his Semi-final match at Queens vs James Blake, Andy injured his right ankle. After hitting a shot Andy ran off the back of the court where he injured the ankle stepping on an uneven drop off. The injury is a mild sprain to the outside of his right ankle. He is receiving treatment and hopes to resume practice in preparation for Wimbledon sometime early this week.

http://www.andyroddick.com/headlines/2009/06/14/update-from-trainer-doug-spreen/

Deboogle!.
06-14-2009, 10:04 PM
oh doug i hope you are right :o

Deboogle!.
06-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Roddick fit for Wimbledon
A-Rod good to go at Wimbledon after ankle injury scare
By Paul Higham Last updated: 15th June 2009

Andy Roddick told skysports.com the ankle injury that forced him out of Queen's will not prevent him from lining up at SW19 next week for another shot at the Wimbledon title.

Roddick was forced to limp out of his semi-final with James Blake after turning his ankle, but after tests revealed no major problems the former world number one can start thinking about Wimbledon.

Although the 26-year-old is undergoing some minor rehab, he said that he will be fit enough to play on the grass at the All England Club next week.

"It'll be alright, certainly in time for Wimbledon," Roddick told skysports.com.

"I've had it checked out and I turned it but its ok, and there's nothing serious as far as long term so it was good news considering the situation.

Treatment

"I'm on anti-inflammatories and I'm icing it pretty much constantly, but we're looking at a couple of days and I should be 100 percent, that's what I'm hoping for."

Roddick, a two-time Wimbledon finalist, believes that the injury will not hamper his preparations as he was able to get in a few matches at Queen's before the problem surfaced.

"The good news was it happened after I'd already put in three matches at Queen's. If it had happened first match at Queen's then I'd be running out of matches so that would be a different scenario," he added.

"We only get two grasscourt tournaments a year so it was pretty disappointing to walk off in one of them but at the end of the day the priority is Wimbledon and I had to think about that, so I'll be fine."

With a fully fit ankle, Roddick is optimistic over his Wimbledon chances - he has had a fine start to the year, yielding a 33-8 record, and is back on a surface that suits his big-serving style.

Optimistic

"I'm optimistic," he admitted. "I've probably had the best start to a year in the last three or four years, I certainly feel like I know what I'm doing on the grass so it should be a good run at Wimbledon hopefully.

"I'm as fit as I've probably ever been, I spent a lot of time last year pretty banged up with injuries but now I'm feeling fine.

"The grass suits me well. On clay I have to make a lot of adjustments to my game but on this surface it works with a lot of my strengths so that's nice.

"At the start of the year our goal was to get back into the conversation a little bit and put up consistent results and I've done that.

"So it's been great as far as consistency, it's just a matter of building it up a little more."

kaylee
06-15-2009, 03:09 PM
yayyyyyy!

partygirl
06-15-2009, 03:31 PM
Niiiiice.

Now make something of it!:rocker2:

Caren
06-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Yeah, i really hope he does well at Wimbledon this year, he out in some pretty good matches at Queens and it was disappoinging to see him have to walk off but at least it wasn't more serious.
I'm actually excited for wimbledon now :)

Fumus
06-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Niiiiice.

Now make something of it!:rocker2:

I'll say that once the draw comes out and Murray/Federer are on the other side.

Deboogle!.
06-15-2009, 07:15 PM
from Bodo:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4260614&name=bodo_peter&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Monday, June 15, 2009 | Feedback | Print Entry

Although I follow Andy Roddick in Twitter, I don't think he posted his thoughts when, after an unexpected loss by Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer won the French Open title a week-plus ago. I'll bet at some point Roddick found himself thinking: "When can something like this happen to me?"

I'm speculating that because the closest thing to the "Rafael Nadal" problem that Federer chronically had at Roland Garros was the "Roger Federer" problem Roddick has had at Wimbledon. Just as Nadal had stymied Federer in Paris four years running (a semi and three consecutive finals ending in 2008), Federer has owned Roddick at Wimbledon, beating him in the semis and two finals successively, starting in 2003. They haven't met at Wimbledon since the last of those matches (2006) and you could say they didn't need to -- not any more than Federer had to meet Nadal in another final on red Parisian clay.

Surely, Federer's luck (and confidence) partly turned when Nadal's mind-boggling undefeated streak in Paris was finally halted in the fourth round this year by Swedish bombardier Robin Soderling. Federer should have serenaded Robin with "The Wind Beneath My Wings" for that, because it provided just the break the Swiss star needed to complete his career Grand Slam.

Poor Roddick, he never did get that kind of break at Wimbledon -- at least not yet. That first Federer triumph over Andy was a portent; Federer went on to take the 2003 title, and the next four titles as well. (At the risk of creating confusion, let's remember that Federer's grass-court streak was snapped last year by … Nadal).

One big difference in the two cases is that Federer hung in there with Nadal for four years running, while Roddick hasn't kept any fated appointment with Federer at Wimbledon since 2005, and he hasn't been to even a semi since.

But that isn't a big deal, given Roddick's big game (if you don't think his serve is as good as ever, you haven't been paying attention). Roddick has been less of a force at Wimbledon these past few years, but he's no less of a threat. Last year, for example, he was just coming back from the shoulder injury that kept him out of Roland Garros, so you can apply the asterisk next to that second-round loss to Janko Tipsarevic.

Given all this, it's reasonable to ask if there's any chance that Roddick might catch that the break or two that he could really use and maybe even needs to accomplish something he richly deserves -- winning that elusive second major title.

One surprise that Roddick hopes to avert is the unpleasant one of injury, and he got a reminder of that at Queen Club a few days ago, where a rolled ankle forced him to abandon his match with James Blake. The injury wasn't as bad as Roddick first feared, so his hopes are undimmed.

Roddick has waited a long time to see a Wimbledon draw without Federer standing in his way, and if that came to pass, it would provide him with emotional rocket fuel that might be enough to propel him by just about anyone else in the draw.

tangerine_dream
06-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Seriously, it's time for Lady Luck to smile on Andy for once. I'm tired of the Charlie Brown cloud following him around all the time.

andymo
06-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Seriously, it's time for Lady Luck to smile on Andy for once. I'm tired of the Charlie Brown cloud following him around all the time.

Yes, it's about time like you say. Let's hope he does not meet Federer this time. A favorable draw would be nice for a change. He is playing so well right now, he deserves to win.

partygirl
06-15-2009, 11:33 PM
I'll say that once the draw comes out and Murray/Federer are on the other side. I like to think on any given day he can beat anyone. That is why i watch Tennis.
:smash:me all you want, i still believe it. Ahahahaha.

tennis lover
06-15-2009, 11:36 PM
I want him to beat Federer/Murray, not avoid them :shrug:

Heather1229
06-16-2009, 01:17 PM
hey everyone! does the draw come out on friday?

Selby
06-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Andy practiced today:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=85647&id=15690358731&ref=mf

kaylee
06-16-2009, 03:12 PM
good that means the foot injury is not too bad!

Fumus
06-16-2009, 04:58 PM
I like to think on any given day he can beat anyone. That is why i watch Tennis.
:smash:me all you want, i still believe it. Ahahahaha.

It hasn't happened at Wimbledon and likely won't. Yea, he's good enough to beat them but time has shown even when he's played his best he hasn't gotten the wins...

I want him to beat Federer/Murray, not avoid them :shrug:

I don't need to have that to feel good about Andy winning Wimbledon. Beating a qualifier in the semis and a lucky loser in the final would be fine by me.

Deboogle!.
06-16-2009, 05:06 PM
I don't need to have that to feel good about Andy winning Wimbledon. Beating a qualifier in the semis and a lucky loser in the final would be fine by me.I couldn't agree more. if Fed can get 100% respect for winning RG without beating Rafa, it would not matter who Andy beat if he could win Wimbledon. buuuuuuuuuut I think we may be getting ahead of ourselves just a bit...

Fumus
06-16-2009, 05:57 PM
I couldn't agree more. if Fed can get 100% respect for winning RG without beating Rafa, it would not matter who Andy beat if he could win Wimbledon. buuuuuuuuuut I think we may be getting ahead of ourselves just a bit...

Lets talk about this in three weeks...:D

tennis lover
06-16-2009, 07:24 PM
I don't need to have that to feel good about Andy winning Wimbledon. Beating a qualifier in the semis and a lucky loser in the final would be fine by me.
don't get me wrong, I would be completely over the moon if Andy won Wimbledon, no matter who he beats or how he beats them. But the chances of him winning without having to play either Federer, Murray or Nadal are very slim so rather than wishing for miracles, I choose to believe that he can beat them. :D :p

but yeah, we have a long way to go before we can even begin to contemplate it! :lol:

Fumus
06-16-2009, 08:00 PM
don't get me wrong, I would be completely over the moon if Andy won Wimbledon, no matter who he beats or how he beats them. But the chances of him winning without having to play either Federer, Murray or Nadal are very slim so rather than wishing for miracles, I choose to believe that he can beat them. :D :p

but yeah, we have a long way to go before we can even begin to contemplate it! :lol:

Then you believe in miracles. :D

kaylee
06-16-2009, 08:53 PM
The thing is if Murray and Roger are on the same side and Murray manages to beat Roger then Andy still has to contend with Rafa - whilst he has an injury (Rafa I mean)that is still a huge task. I expect Andy to be around at least the second week and then we will see!

tennis lover
06-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Then you believe in miracles. :D
:rolls: he's beaten them all before, he can certainly do it again! :ras: in my view it wouldn't be a miracle, otherwise that contradicts what I said just before that about not wishing for miracles! :o

All I know is I'm going to the semis and I would very much like Andy to be there! :dance:

partygirl
06-17-2009, 02:53 AM
Then you believe in miracles. :Dhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-angelic007.gif

Fumus
06-17-2009, 03:30 AM
:rolls: he's beaten them all before, he can certainly do it again! :ras: in my view it wouldn't be a miracle, otherwise that contradicts what I said just before that about not wishing for miracles! :o

All I know is I'm going to the semis and I would very much like Andy to be there! :dance:

I think there's a very good chance that he will be I'm just hoping for the best case scenario where he can win a semi and final. :)

Andy practiced today:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=85647&id=15690358731&ref=mf

OMG did you see all the bad things they've tagged Andy as...LOLZZ

kaylee
06-17-2009, 03:09 PM
can't see do tell!!!!!!!!!

Fumus
06-17-2009, 04:15 PM
can't see do tell!!!!!!!!!

This is a family forum. Use your imagination. ;)

kaylee
06-17-2009, 04:33 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

tangerine_dream
06-17-2009, 05:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4264135&name=tennis
What the contenders need to win Wimbledon
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Posted by Tom Perrotta, TENNIS.com

Wimbledon, the most prestigious tennis tournament of them all, begins next week. It will be hard to top last year's rain-soaked, all-day-drama of a men's final, in which Rafael Nadal ended Roger Federer's reign as darkness settled in. Will those two return for Act IV of the Federer-Nadal Wimbledon saga, or do the other top men have a few surprises in store? Here's what the top men need for a perfect fortnight.

Rafael Nadal, confidence: How severe is Nadal's knee injury? It's unclear at the moment, though we should know more by this weekend. Even if his knees feel OK, can Nadal overcome the injury to his spirit? His uncle and coach, Toni, told the Spanish press this week that Nadal's chances are no longer as good, and that losing at the French Open has hurt his confidence. If he finds it by the end of the first week and starts to feel healthy, look out. If not, we might be in for another early exit, this one not at all surprising.

Roger Federer, calmness: Who could blame Federer for being giddy about winning the French Open and putting himself in contention for greatest player of all time? He'll have to put his happiness aside starting Monday if he wants to break Pete Sampras' all-time Grand Slam titles record at his favorite tournament. Will he be locked in or distracted by his Paris breakthrough? We haven't seen Federer play without the weight of history on his shoulders in almost two years. Something tells me his opponents won't find this a welcome sight.

Andy Murray, nerve: We'll state the obvious: Murray is the best player in the game to never win a major title. He could win one soon, as long as he can handle the stress of Britain's 73-year tennis curse (Fred Perry is the last man to win Wimbledon, in 1936). On paper, Murray is tough to beat. But how will he react on the second Sunday, especially if Roger Federer stands across the net?

Novak Djokovic, will: What has happened to the once-cocky Serb? He suffered a dismal loss at the French Open (to Philipp Kohlschreiber in the fourth round) and then dropped the Halle final (on grass) against Tommy Haas. Djokovic says his loss to Rafael Nadal in Madrid has emotionally drained him. Indeed, that semifinal was a classic, but Djokovic needs to put it behind him before he wanders through another season without building on his early successes in 2008 (when he won the Australian Open).

Andy Roddick, luck: Roddick has already had some luck on grass this year. He injured his ankle at Queens Club and had to withdraw from the semifinals (bad luck there), but it seems the injury is not severe (there's the good). Roddick is serving better than ever this year and is having one of his best overall seasons. Here's his wish for Wimbledon: Put him in the same side of the draw with Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic and far away from that Federer guy. That's a piece of history Roddick wants no part of.

tangerine_dream
06-17-2009, 09:49 PM
TWEET:

andyroddick just watching superbad at the house.... first hour of this movie is up there with the best

"Superbad" is going to be my blog headline if he loses like he did to Tipsarevic last year :retard: :cuckoo: :silly: .... or wins. ;)

Selby
06-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Andy and Brooklyn are twitter-fighting again :lol:

Deboogle!.
06-18-2009, 02:28 AM
O.M.G. THE PICTURE :haha: :haha: :haha:

and a quality :bs: article from the Sun as always :lol:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/tennis/2486983/Taxi-for-Roddick.html
==============
Taxi for Roddick
By CHARLIE WYETT

ANDY RODDICK loves Wimbledon because he has the knowledge - thanks to his cabbie pal.

The world No 6, preparing for the championships which start on Monday, is best mates with a taxi driver he met by chance.

Stephen Little was even invited to Texas in April for Roddick's high-profile wedding with model Brooklyn Decker.

Roddick, 26, who hopes to be fit despite suffering an ankle injury at Queen's Club, said: "It is a friendship which came by chance.

"He picked me and my coach up one time when we were looking to go to a restaurant. Next time, as we had his card, we gave him a ring.

"From there, six years on, he has helped us whenever we have called him. He helps us out with odd jobs at Wimbledon.

"He comes over to the States to visit. He came to the wedding. When he first drove me to the restaurant, he knew a minimal amount about tennis. I was young and had not been around for that long.

"The other week, he picked me up from the train station in London when I arrived from Paris on the Eurostar.

"It was nice to see him. I spent some of the time in a hotel but will now be going to a house in Wimbledon. I love the tournament because everything about it is different.

"It is so prestigious. There is a dress code for a start, which you don't get at other tournaments.

"You see the fans queueing up overnight and having barbecues. It's more like a festival. There are some nice pubs in the village and maybe, after the tournament, I will go there and have a drink.

"But hopefully, before that, I will have a good Wimbledon. It will also be great that we have a roof on Centre Court.

"While it won't affect that many players, it is great for the fans.

Roddick has twice reached the final, losing to Roger Federer in 2004 and 2005, although he suffered a shock second-round loss to Janko Tipsarevic last year.

He added: "I hope to be fit. It was disappointing to withdraw from my semi-final at Queen's against James Blake but at least I got three matches in. And at least I have been playing well recently."

Roddick has been impressed with the form of Andy Murray who, as expected, was yesterday named as the third men's seed. The former US Open champion said: "When I played at the Open in New York, the pressure was a little different.

"The year before I won the Open, Pete Sampras won it. Andy has to deal with history which I didn't.

"As much pressure as there is, it can also help you. I watched him against Richard Gasquet to make the quarter-finals last year and felt the fans were helping him win.

"That was one of his breakout matches. Over the last 12 matches, he has been a different player.

"Also, as far as scheduling goes, his matches will get priority which is also a help. It's not easy to win a Grand Slam but it's just a matter of time before Andy wins one."

Roddick spent the week playing a new tennis computer game.

He said: "I played as myself and I lost to Lleyton Hewitt!"

"And at least you won't get Cliff Richard singing!"

andymo
06-18-2009, 01:36 PM
I dreamed about Andy last night. He was dressed all in white and it was really him, his real face and he was petting a big furry mouse that looked like a kitten. My guess is that the furry mouse is the Wimbledon trophy. I would be elated if I was right. LOL

andymo
06-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Andy and Brooklyn are twitter-fighting again :lol:

I would see Brooklyn as a contestant on "Dancing with the Stars". What do you think ?

Heather1229
06-18-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm thinking Brooke's a bit too cool to be on Dancing with the Stars! :)

andyroxmysox12191
06-18-2009, 03:01 PM
hey, I love DWTS

Heather1229
06-18-2009, 03:32 PM
oh I don't mean any offense to anyone who watches DWTS! :)

kaylee
06-18-2009, 03:55 PM
heehee I like DWTS but Andy did state that Brooklyn has 2 left feet soooooooo ummm maybe not?

Fumus
06-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Andy Roddick, luck: Roddick has already had some luck on grass this year. He injured his ankle at Queens Club and had to withdraw from the semifinals (bad luck there), but it seems the injury is not severe (there's the good). Roddick is serving better than ever this year and is having one of his best overall seasons. Here's his wish for Wimbledon: Put him in the same side of the draw with Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic and far away from that Federer guy. That's a piece of history Roddick wants no part of.

Damn, dude reads my posts. :o:o:o

tangerine_dream
06-18-2009, 07:39 PM
TWEET:

andyroddick ok so i was just reading espns "expert picks" for wimbledon.. someone picked mario ancic as their sleeper which would be a great pick except he fact that he has mono and hasn't played for 3 months, and isn't supposed to be ready for another month or two...... wow
I mean the guy is not even entered in the tournament
5 minutes ago from web

I love that Andy's not shy about sharing his opinions. :yeah: Just one reason why he's such a great interview, and he'll probably make a great commentator one day too.

Sad how Mario has been suffering the effects of mono for years. :sad:

Winston's Human
06-18-2009, 08:12 PM
TWEET:

andyroddick ok so i was just reading espns "expert picks" for wimbledon.. someone picked mario ancic as their sleeper which would be a great pick except he fact that he has mono and hasn't played for 3 months, and isn't supposed to be ready for another month or two...... wow
I mean the guy is not even entered in the tournament
5 minutes ago from web

Another proud moment in journalism.

arodfanpe666o
06-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Chardy in first round, than possibly my countryman G. Dimitrov :)

Possible 1/4 final with Nadal.

DartMarcus
06-19-2009, 11:57 AM
R1 Chardy
R2 Dimitrov/Kunitsyn
R3 Melzer/Becker
R4 Davydenko/Berdych/Mathieu

Heather1229
06-19-2009, 01:11 PM
finally not in Roger's half of the draw!! hopefully he can take advantage of whatever is going to happen with Rafa!

Tytta!.
06-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Excellent draw :yeah:

kaylee
06-19-2009, 02:38 PM
yippee finally the gods have favoured Andy I am soooo pleased. :bounce:

Fumus
06-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Not a great draw really but not a horrible draw. He's in Nadal's quarter which I asked for. If he can make it that far(qrts) I think he's in a really good position. I think he'll have to beat Murray or Federer or both to win this title however. But who knows if he can make it to the quarters we'll look around and see who else survived.

Davydenko isn't a grass god but could be troubling, maybe Berdych could cause some issues too.

I just hope Andy comes out playing well.

Deboogle!.
06-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Really Ryan? I think it's almost a dream draw. Only way it could've been better is if Novak was also in his half. There's no one in his section who should beat him before the QFs.

kaylee
06-19-2009, 04:15 PM
I agree with Deb on this one. Andy is really focused and playing well at the moment. If he hadn't rolled his ankle at Queens it would have been a double Andy final. I like this draw!

Fumus
06-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Really Ryan? I think it's almost a dream draw. Only way it could've been better is if Novak was also in his half. There's no one in his section who should beat him before the QFs.

It's not a dream draw but he's not in Fed's qrtr either. I guess, I would say it's good not great. He's in Nadal's qrtr if Djoko was in his half it would be perfect...a dream draw...

He's definitly got a chance to go deep, that's for sure. I'll say that. We'll see where we are when we pass the middle Sunday. It's all about taking advantage of opportunities when they present themselves and putting yourself in a good position. Let's see if he can do that.

tangerine_dream
06-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Yessssss. What a draw! Don't fuck it up Andy. :banana:

Fumus
06-19-2009, 05:16 PM
I just realized a scenario that would be truly ironic and hilarious. Roger loses early and doesn't make the quarters the one time Andy isn't in his qrtr. That would be true comedy genius!

kaylee
06-19-2009, 05:37 PM
oh my yes that would - but it doesn't look as tho Rafa is going to play well the odds are against him anyway - sigh I will keep my fingers crossed!

Deboogle!.
06-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Rafa has pulled out. Andy, if you don't make at least the semis, F off. thanks :)

andymo
06-19-2009, 08:06 PM
http://www.star28.net/snow.html

Write your wish and submit; I wished for Andy R to win Wimby.:D

Fumus
06-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Rafa has pulled out. Andy, if you don't make at least the semis, F off. thanks :)

Deb doesn't a LL just take Rafa's place? Once the draw is made it's made they don't move any spots around right??

tangerine_dream
06-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Yessssss. What a draw! Don't fuck it up Andy. :banana:
Gee, I was so happy only a short while ago. Now I'm depressed. Rafa :sad:

I'm depressed not only because of Rafa's injury and having to pull out but also because even though this is a brilliant opportunity for our Andy to get to another Wimby semi or final, I just know that Lady Luck will once again spurn him and shower her favoritism unto Federer, or worse, Murray. Our Andy gets no such luck. :crying2:

Deboogle!.
06-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Deb doesn't a LL just take Rafa's place? Once the draw is made it's made they don't move any spots around right??Actually I guess wimbledon has some special/crazy rules, Del Potro will take his place and other guys will be shuffled around. Really, the guy who should benefit the most is Hewitt.

Fumus
06-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Actually I guess wimbledon has some special/crazy rules, Del Potro will take his place and other guys will be shuffled around. Really, the guy who should benefit the most is Hewitt.

You think Del Poney will lose to Hewitt? I think JMDP will be a tough ask to beat...

Deboogle!.
06-19-2009, 08:44 PM
JMDP is awful on grass, from what I understand

Fumus
06-19-2009, 08:47 PM

You're probably right. He does have a huge windup on both sides.

Jade Fox
06-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Indeed this is a golden opportunity for Andy to make the semis here. Fuck this up and Brooklyn will become a widow, get what I'm saying? :armed:

andymo
06-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Let s stay positive now......why wouldn't Andy R win? Everything is possible and we never know what will happen in a tournament. Who would have thought that Andy R would have to pull out of Queens and Rafa would too "out of Wimby". Let us send good vibes to our Andy.

Selby
06-19-2009, 10:32 PM

Yeah but he's got potential on grass too, why shouldn't he? big serve, powerful groundstrokes, long arms at the net...

The draw looks very good and I'm also optimistic but I prefer not to get ahead of myself and to try to think about the next match only, starting with a tricky first round called Jeremy Chardy.

Deboogle!.
06-19-2009, 10:57 PM
He might, but I would still think Hewitt would MUCH rather play JMDP than Rafa...

Chardy is another one who might have grass potential but in the last 2 weeks he lost to Schuettler and Querrey - Schuettler is old and Querrey is not good on grass either despite having a good game for it. I'll be disappointed if Andy has TOO much trouble with him...he might just b/c it's the first round of wimbledon and he tends to get jumpy :lol:

tangerine_dream
06-20-2009, 12:26 AM
There's also an exclusive video included with this article, click on the link to view it.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/tennis/2490400/Rod-Believe-the-Murray-hype.html

Roddick: Believe the Murray hype :o :rolleyes:

By CHARLIE WYETT & MARK GILBERT
19 Jun 2009

ANDY RODDICK admits it would be his ultimate dream to win Wimbledon — but is wary of the threat Andy Murray poses.

The World No6 claims the level of talent in men's tennis has never been deeper, but reckons Murray has what it takes to become the first British man to win the SW19 title since Fred Perry in 1936.

Roddick said: "There's a lot of strength at the top of the men's game. A lot of guys are trying to assert themselves and there is a bunch of us trying to challenge Roger [Federer] and Rafa [Nadal] right now.

"I always get asked about Andy Murray when I'm in London but that's to be expected, especially with as well as he has been playing this year. I feel the hype is extremely warranted."

Roddick, 26, has reached the Wimbledon final twice — in 2004 and 2005 — but was beaten on both occasions by Swiss superstar Federer.

The American was ranked No1 in the world six years ago and is adamant he has what it takes to return to top form and scoop the biggest prize in the sport.

Speaking at the launch of EA Sports' Grand Slam Tennis, Roddick added: "It would be a dream come true to win Wimbledon.

"When I started my career, my main goals were to win the Open and Wimbledon and be No1.

"Wimbledon is the one that I haven't accomplished yet so that would be big for me."

Andy Roddick appears in EA Sports' Grand Slam Tennis, the only tennis game to feature the Wimbledon Championships, out now for Wii and incorporating Nintendo's Wii MotionPlus technology. Visit www.easports.com/tennis for more info.

Ad Wim
06-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Questions guys, how is his ankle/foot doing? You don't pull out of a match for nothing so it must have been something. Did he fully practice, and fully test it yet?

tennis lover
06-20-2009, 11:42 AM
I am so confused, why the hell is JMDP in Rafa's place?! that's not normal is it? oh well, at least it means Andy isn't in Federer's quarter or anything. :dance:

it sucks that Rafa has pulled out. :sad: I hope his knee gets better soon. :hug:

I haven't really had a proper look at the draw, got my final results on Thursday and was in no fit state to analyse a tennis draw yesterday! :o but from the sounds of it Andy's got a good one. :yeah: which means, as he always does when he has a nice draw, he will lose early! ;)

Tytta!.
06-20-2009, 02:00 PM
I am so confused, why the hell is JMDP in Rafa's place?! that's not normal is it? oh well, at least it means Andy isn't in Federer's quarter or anything. :dance:

Looks like it's the way it works only for Wimbledon... :tape:

Deboogle!.
06-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Questions guys, how is his ankle/foot doing? You don't pull out of a match for nothing so it must have been something. Did he fully practice, and fully test it yet?From everything we've heard it was a minor sprain and he's ok. As far as I know he's been practicing every day :scratch:

blosson
06-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Yay, Wimbledon is making things up as we go as usual. :banana:

They re-built court 2 (the graveyard?) - it's round

tangerine_dream
06-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Even Andy sounds totally confused by the Wimbledon rules.

Deboogle!.
06-20-2009, 05:39 PM
Well, starting on Tuesday should be good for andy, just gives him one more day to make sure he's 100% healed

andymo
06-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Even Andy sounds totally confused by the Wimbledon rules.

Yes that's good.

FlameOn
06-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Some prick negative-repped me just for saying it would be cool if Andy won Wimbledon. I'm pissed off now. :o Negative-repped for having an opinion while all he did in his negative-rep post was dish out all his negative opinions anyway. :mad:

Anyway, can't complain about how things have opened up for Andy draw-wise. Not only did he avoid Fed's quarter, he wouldn't even have to face him until a possible final. Maybe the Tennis Gods want Andy to win this year. :)

blosson
06-21-2009, 03:31 PM
How moronic are the London tube guys, they are refurbishing the station during the 2 busiest weeks of the year!

Mr Vogueman's 2009 outfit, cruise ship captain meets tennis player?

http://www.gototennisblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Federer_Wimbledon_Jacket_2009.png

tangerine_dream
06-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Some prick negative-repped me just for saying it would be cool if Andy won Wimbledon. I'm pissed off now. :o Negative-repped for having an opinion while all he did in his negative-rep post was dish out all his negative opinions anyway. :mad:
Sounds like Geo the troll is back. Just ignore him, or you can report him to the mods for harrassment. He neg reps everybody and tries to stir up trouble.

Deboogle!.
06-21-2009, 07:27 PM
:)

kaylee
06-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Well that Rog outfit is impressive to say the least (NOT) honestly modelling should be left off the tennis court! Yes Doug twittered that Andy would begin on Tueday and I choose to take Wednesday off silly me!!!!

Heather1229
06-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Well that Rog outfit is impressive to say the least (NOT) honestly modelling should be left off the tennis court! Yes Doug twittered that Andy would begin on Tueday and I choose to take Wednesday off silly me!!!!

that's ok, I have tomorrow off and was super excited when I heard Andy was in Rafa's half of the draw since the defending champ should start the tournament and I would be able to watch, then Rafa withdrew.......which I guess is a good thing in the end because the draw opened for Andy :) I'll have to rely on live score at work on Tuesday!

Kate87
06-22-2009, 12:26 AM
O.M.G. :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: x 257 (:

from Daily Mail

The locker room: No offence, Sir Cliff, but this new roof on Centre Court is sweet music

By Andy Roddick
Last updated at 12:04 AM on 22nd June 2009

So, we've moved into our temporary home, toned down the training routine and had a good look at my draw. The start of Wimbledon is here.

It's down to business: the business of trying to win the men's singles title. That's all!

This fortnight is always different from tournaments like Queen's, when you live out of a hotel. Instead, my wife Brooklyn and I rent a place close to the All England Club and make it a home from home. It's great to go out and do the little things you would on a normal day, like the grocery shopping. It's silly little things like that which help me relax.

(CAPTION: Down to business: Sportsmail columnist and former Wimbledon finalist Andy Roddick is confident he is in the right form to go far at SW19 this year)

I love the atmosphere at Wimbledon, all the quirks and the idiosyncracies.

It's great they have kept all the tradition, like the all-white dress code, and that you still get those guys in a line outside the front having a barbecue. There's nowhere else like it.

I've seen pictures of the new Centre Court roof. It looks pretty cool and I'm sure it plays OK - well, it had better do, they've made a big enough investment in it, from what I've heard! But the truth is it's going to affect a very small number of players. You have to be scheduled on that court, on the day it rains et cetera, et cetera.

But, of course, it's great for the fans. They are always going to have live tennis instead of Sir Cliff Richard singing in the rain for six hours at a time. I mean, Cliff's fine, but I'm sure people would rather be watching tennis!

The Wimbledon crowd are more reserved than at the US Open - but then that goes for pretty much any crowd in the world! I like the whole vibe at Wimbledon. When I walk in, I always think of some of the older baseball stadiums in the US - you can just feel the history of the place. They have done a great job of keeping that sense of tradition, while modernising it by adding things like the big screen, the roof and the new No 1 Court.

People keep asking me about the ankle I injured at Queen's, but I can assure you I'm fit and ready to go. In fact, I'm more optimistic about this Wimbledon than I have been for the past couple. I've had my best start to a year since 2005 - when I last made the final here - but obviously there's the little matter of Roger and Rafa to get past, and also some guy called Andy Murray - you may have heard of him.

Andy and I get along well - he has a pretty good sense of humour, so we're always giving each other some stick.

(CAPTION: In with a shout: Roddick believes close-friend Andy Murray is well equipped to win Wimbledon this year)

There always seems to be a lot of hype around him, but I think this year he warrants it. He's been in a Grand Slam final at the US Open and pretty successful against the top players.

I think he's improved his serve a lot. He's winning a lot of free points on it now. But his biggest strength overall is his tennis IQ. He rarely makes a bad decision out there. He plays the right shots at the right time and can go between offensive and defensive strokes pretty naturally - not something that's easily taught.

People were questioning his conditioning a few years ago, saying his body wasn't up to it, but he was 18 years old. I mean, nobody's body is full-grown then - unless you're Rafa!

And those people who question his temperament? Well, I can tell you, I have no problem with people being passionate on court. With the exception of maybe Pete Sampras and Roger Federer, all the champions have been capable of a blow-up. If someone's ever getting beat 6-2, 5-2 and they are perfectly OK with it, I can tell you, it is not a good sign.

Roger and Rafa will undoubtedly be the favourites again, but I certainly feel like I can win it this year and, to be fair, I think Andy can, too.

It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks…

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-1194573/ANDY-RODDICK-No-offence-Sir-Cliff-Richard-Wimbledon-roof-sweet-music.html