Reasons as to why nadal lost [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Reasons as to why nadal lost

uefa_007
06-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Well i don't post here much often , however couldn't stop myself when my champ lost ...

Well this French Open has been surprising and I started to wonder why the heck as it been so unpredictable. Almost all predictions, analysis have been shattered .It also made me wonder as to why my champ (Nadal) lost at his backyard.

Reading this may sometimes cause frustration among Federer supporters however mind u I am not trying to belittle his achievements what so ever. This is something like what the press did last season “101 reasons as to why Nadal is doing well in grass” …
Reasons:

1)The Crowd:
Every tennis supporter who went to see any of last year’s grand slams would have wanted to witness one thing i.e. the GOAT being established and the king taking the throne. Hell, Even I was looking forward to it. However if u ask an Aussie or a Brit or an American they all wanted one thing “A Federer Nadal fiasco”.

All of them wanted to see what the Brit`s saw or Aussie`s of the current year saw. They want to see both of them giving blows to one to another every point every game every set.

For them, for us, for every one a grand slam match between Nadal and Federer has been like a Boxing match. Even though Nadal got the better of Federer recently, the crowd was a little upset on not seeing the milestone. However what they wanted was “May the best man win” …

Last year French Open was a real eye opener for me in many ways. The Finals was a major upsetting moment. The crowd belittled Nadal`s achievement and the only cheer I heard was in the post match when McEnroe in the court mic said “Nadal , u r the greatest clay courter I have ever seen” .I thought “ok maybe it was one sided match and that’s why it happened”..

The crowd support in Nadal Soderling match was an utter disgrace. Almost every one sitting in the stands wanted one thing, Nadal to lose. During the 4th set, the crowd went berserk every time soderling got a point. The French crowd realized that their best chance for their dream scenario to come true,

“Nadal loses, Federer wins, Federer lifts the cup, Federer thanks the crowd in French “Merci pour le soutien” and GOAT is established. They did not want a classic all they want is their super hero to win it!

The crowd support is every important especially when a player is not playing at his peak, just ask roger himself about the way the crowd literally raised from the dead against Haas in the third set last few games .

Nadal himself said in the press:
“Maybe at one stage they supported Soderling more than me, and that was a bit sad.”

Today his coach Toni said:
"There is only one set of supporters that are worse than the French and that is the Parisians. They say it themselves and its true, the Parisian crowd is pretty stupid. I think the French don't like it when a Spaniard wins," he added. "Wanting someone to lose is a slightly conceited way of amusing yourself. They show the stupidity of people who think themselves superior."

2)The Court :
Last year too much importance was given to how the Wimbledon grass has been changed. This according to the press and few of the hooligans of opponent side was advantage Nadal .I did not initially agree however after seeing a lot of the past classics I realized it has indeed been slowed .
One of the most important notices which the entire tennis population made of last year’s French open was the spin produced by Nadal. It was very clearly evident in the finals when Federer himself was shocked by the spin and bounce which Nadal created. A huge amount of shots would go misplaced in the air.

This year the clay has been totally remodeled & none of the press what so ever never laid emphasis on the point. A buddy of mine said “If Gonzalez is serving at 226 KMH in a clay court there is something wrong”. The average speed of the serve has gone up tremendously when compared to last year’s French Open and this year’s Australian open.

The average speed of the fastest 20 servers this season is around 234 KMH compared to last season`s 221, mind you we have not yet entered the semis.

The court has made the slice totally ineffective. One of the main advantages Nadal and Federer over the mid table guns in clay court is their ability to spin the ball.
Every time Nadal tried to slice and spin the ball, soderling would move aside hit a cracking forehand. Federer in the last 3 sets against Haas hit just about 7 slices. The First serve points won has increased so as the number of aces. The court looks more and more like a carpet with the ability to slide.

3)Madrid Masters:
Nadal was complaining about High Altitude in Madrid before the tournament started and threatened to pull out from the tournament. However he carried on and lost to Federer in the finals. Madrid masters have caused a certain amount of damage to the physical conditions of good clay courters like Nadal, Verdasco and Djokovic. It will be interesting to see if any of the above will participate in next year’s Madrid masters if it is conducted just before French Open. (Hail Federer, he will)

Well all this analysis will not help us digest Nadal`s loss :sad: but still we all have a great slam to forward to, will he defend his Wimbledon successfully, will he stop Federer from reaching the magic number 15, only time will tell …..

If u any logical reason as to why our kiddo lost other than wearing pink shirt please share the knowledge;)

Foxy
06-03-2009, 06:09 AM
I agree with everything and great post. :thumbs up: But the serve speed doesn't depend on the surface. It is measured at the time of impact of the ball with the racquet. The very tiny distance of path of the ball is taken - leaning to 0.

Said in simple words - the ball never touches the surface before the serve is measured.

uefa_007
06-03-2009, 06:40 AM
I agree with everything and great post. :thumbs up: But the serve speed doesn't depend on the surface. It is measured at the time of impact of the ball with the racquet. The very tiny distance of path of the ball is taken - leaning to 0.

Said in simple words - the ball never touches the surface before the serve is measured.

Thanks a lot mate .. Yeah i agree the point abt serve speed is quite wrong :) .. However it also proves the basic point that the players realize that the faster they serve more difficult it is for their opponent to return ..

Last yr F.O rafa was returning almost every serve . I think he had maximum first serve returns in Australian Open .T
he question is how has the court been so much modified to suit hard court players ??

Mimi
06-03-2009, 06:56 AM
don't feel so sad, uefa007, next year, he better to skip Barcelona or Madrid, with better conditions, may be he can get back the crown again :wavey:

MariaV
06-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Uhmmm, Mats Wilander has talked about the RG courts a bit on Eurosport and it seems that this year they're faster indeed, especially Chatrier, closer to hard courts because the upper layer, the topping is thinner and if it gets blown away then ... closer to a hard court it is.

Mimi
06-03-2009, 07:43 AM
the french hates nadal so much that they made the courts faster ;):p

uefa_007
06-03-2009, 09:47 AM
the french hates nadal so much that they made the courts faster ;):p

Its more a question of their insecurity whether federer would win a French Open than anything else, The way ball sets up for Soderling is amazing . I have seen the shots he hits only once before that was Tsonga in Australian Open ..

Mimi
06-03-2009, 09:52 AM
mark my words: this bad miouth Soldering will not win the FO title :eek::mad:

uefa_007
06-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Uhmmm, Mats Wilander has talked about the RG courts a bit on Eurosport and it seems that this year they're faster indeed, especially Chatrier, closer to hard courts because the upper layer, the topping is thinner and if it gets blown away then ... closer to a hard court it is.

Oh ok ! Yeah looks like main court top layer is very thin. The Court which i saw in match between Nadal-Hewitt was how the actual clay court is meant to be . However it is not longer existent.

The rallies have indeed become a lot shorter.I remember balls bouncing near faces of players last year which has not happened at all this season.

Foxy
06-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Oh ok ! Yeah looks like main court top layer is very thin. The Court which i saw in match between Nadal-Hewitt was how the actual clay court is meant to be . However it is not longer existent.

The rallies have indeed become a lot shorter.I remember balls bouncing near faces of players last year which has not happened at all this season.

Still Rafa should have won it. He is a hard court and grass court GS champion. Not to forget he is an Olympic Gold champion on hard court (US Open like). There is something more to it we are missing.

MariaV
06-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Foxy, Rafa cannot win everything. ;) Give him a break. ;)
I just hope he'll be back stronger and better than ever. :D

Foxy
06-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Foxy, Rafa cannot win everything. ;) Give him a break. ;)
I just hope he'll be back stronger and better than ever. :D

I know that. Thanks. But losing at RG in R4 to Robin... It was way more possible losing in R1 in any other GS. If you get what I mean.

I really hope he will be stronger than ever. He has proven he can come back after tough losses. But it was the toughest he had faced and the toughest probably he will ever face in his "kariera". :D

acionescu
06-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm, you sound like someone we knew already...JM? Mike? George? Claire?

the graduate
06-08-2009, 05:58 PM
I was saddened by the french attitude towards Rafa and disgusted by their adulation of Rodger,its a sickening relationship.The final was horrendous it was all Rodger and Soderling never made an effort to win just like handing the trophy to Fed.One thing I admire about Rafa is that he is fearless he never lets Roger s stature stand in the way of his own ambition,he is the only player to show courage when it really matters in these big events.
I hope Rafa skips Wimbledon and focus on getting healthy for the USA hardcourts so that he wins the USA Open event.

kaylee
06-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Hey sometimes you win sometimes you lose. Up until now Roger hasn't had the best of years and also it hasn't just been Nadal beating him. Look there could be lots of reasons the best being he isn't healthy. Although I am not a Fed fan he won fair and square (although I wish it had been a bit more competitive) and he has been consistant losing in the previous major to Rafa. We need to be patient and wait and see what the next few weeks bring until then we can try and find all the reasons that we want.

rafaelita
06-11-2009, 10:59 AM
If u any logical reason as to why our kiddo lost other than wearing pink shirt please share the knowledge;)

Hi :wavey:
I read your post, I found it interesting. I'm not going to pick on the shirt, although it was horrible :rolleyes: I think it was indeed playing Madrid and the troubles at home, in his private life. Having trouble at home eventually gets to you, no matter how strong or tough you are. Playing Madrid worsened everything. I've been following Rafa for years, more precisely since the beginning of 2005 and I have never seen him so sad, so affected. And this year has been sadder and sadder, even after winning finals.

I don’t know if he’ll be up for Wimby. I would hate it if he lost the title there, but I think it’s more important for him to be healthy and find peace of mind, whatever that might mean. He knows what he has to do I'm sure. I just hope he gets better and comes back stronger.