Long Island (TD Waterhouse) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Long Island (TD Waterhouse)

Socket
08-21-2004, 03:10 PM
Lleyton has (surprisingly to me, at least) accepted a WC into this event next week, and is seeded No. 2. The draw is up at the event's forum.

Knockers LaBroad
08-21-2004, 03:25 PM
blah, he'd better take this week off!:(

I want him to be fit for US Open, not overplayed...

RaRaChick
08-21-2004, 04:12 PM
I thought he would have took this week off to to get rested up for the US Open. But I'm sure he knows what he is doing, he obviously feels like he needs match practice or something. Surely he wouldn't have accepted the wildcard if he thought it would affect him at the Open.

Socket
08-21-2004, 04:15 PM
If Lleyton thinks it's best for him to play next week, I don't see myself second-guessing him. Frankly, yesterday's QF was his first tough match this week (although I'm sure today's SF will be tough, too). The Legg Mason draw wasn't that great because of the Olympics. I'm guessing that's a factor in his decision.

RaRaChick
08-21-2004, 04:18 PM
I agree :)

Angele
08-21-2004, 04:20 PM
I really don't know what to make of Lleyton playing here :shrug: I didn't think he would but I guess he felt it would be beneficial for him to play. I'm going to hope that he knows what he's doing lol

RaRaChick
08-21-2004, 04:25 PM
I really think if Lleyton is physically fit (ie, not overplayed as Elke put it) he can do really well at the Open. He looked in great form in Cincinatti the other week and if he gets to the final or even takes the title this weekend in Washington he will have a lot of confidence. Theres no reason he can't do it, he can give Federer etc a tough fight any day. And of course, (even though things have changed since then), he has done it before. Go Lleyton :kiss:

Thats my opinion anyway lol :o

NOMAD
08-21-2004, 04:30 PM
very surprised :eek: :confused:
Anyway, I'm sure LL knows what's the best preparation for him. ;)
Good luck, LL :bounce:
main draw :

(1)Andre Agassi vs. SE/Q
Jarrko Nieminen vs. (WC)Robby Ginepri
Q/SE vs. Nikolay Davydenko
Alberto Martin vs. (8)Fernando Verdasco
(4)Paradorn Srichaphan vs. Irakli Labadze
David Sanchez vs. Wayne Ferreira
David Ferrer vs. Q/SE
Jurgen Melzer vs. (7)Joachim Johansson

(6)Mario Ancic vs. Dmitry Tursunov
Q/SE vs. Luis Horna
Igor Andreev vs. Albert Costa
(WC)Todd Martin vs. (3)Nicolas Massu
(5)Juan Ignacio Chela vs. Karol Beck
Q/SE vs. Thomas Enqvist
Sargis Sargsian vs. Michael Llodra
Q/SE vs. (2,WC)Lleyton Hewitt

Angele
08-21-2004, 04:30 PM
If Lleyton thinks it's best for him to play next week, I don't see myself second-guessing him. Frankly, yesterday's QF was his first tough match this week (although I'm sure today's SF will be tough, too). The Legg Mason draw wasn't that great because of the Olympics. I'm guessing that's a factor in his decision.
I think you may be onto something :) To really get match tough you need to face some tough opponents and play some long matches but that didn't happen for Lleyton until yesterday and even that shouldn't have been a tough match even though it turned out to be :o

RaRaChick
08-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Good luck Lleyton :bounce: Hope you get some tough matches. Not too tough though!! ;)

Angele
08-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Ooh Pim Pim is playing as well :D :bounce: Could be a full on Hewitt clan week with Glynn, Chezza, Jaslyn, Kim and Joachim :angel:

Looks like a tougher field that Washington... if they both make it there, vs. Ancic could be a very good match but so too could be some people along the way. Good luck Lleyton :kiss:

RaRaChick
08-21-2004, 04:35 PM
:woohoo: A Hewitt family reunion :yippee: Lol that could be fun :D

Socket
08-21-2004, 04:57 PM
I think you may be onto something :) To really get match tough you need to face some tough opponents and play some long matches but that didn't happen for Lleyton until yesterday and even that shouldn't have been a tough match even though it turned out to be :o

It was a tough match due to Saulnier, who was really on his game, to his credit. I had read in the newspaper that he is playing very well right now (10-3 since Wimbledon) and he felt self-confident, so I knew it wasn't going to be like Lleyton's first- and second-round matches.

Fergie
08-24-2004, 05:19 AM
Good luck Lleyton :yeah:

Sunshine1
08-24-2004, 01:55 PM
Tuesday, August 24, 2004 // Round 1
Center Court - start 4:00 PM
I Andreev (RUS) vs. A Costa (ESP)
J Nieminen (FIN) vs. (WC) R Ginepri (USA)

Not before 7:00 PM
(LL) O Mutis (FRA) vs. (2) (WC) L Hewitt (AUS)
(4) P Srichaphan (THA) vs. (Q) K Kim (USA)

Grandstand - start 4:00 PM
(9) L Horna (PER) vs. (Q) A Popp (GER)
(6) M Ancic (CRO) vs. D Tursunov (RUS)
(Q) K Hippensteel (USA) vs. N Davydenko (RUS)
(LL) D Elsner (GER) vs. (7) J Johansson (SWE)
Court 4 - start 4:00 PM
D Ferrer (ESP) vs. (Q) S Koubek (AUT)
Coetzee/Martin vs. Haggard/Melzer

Angele
08-24-2004, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the OOP :yeah:

Good luck Lleyton :kiss:

Billabong
08-25-2004, 03:12 AM
Lleyton won 7-6, 6-1 :yeah:! WELL done Lley:D!!!

Bibi
08-25-2004, 09:08 AM
:woohoo: Keep on going Lleyton :woohoo:
Here's an article from the Yahoo! site:

Hewitt wins opener at TD Waterhouse Cup

August 24, 2004

AP - Aug 24, 10:23 pm EDT
More Photos

COMMACK, N.Y. (AP) -- Former U.S. Open and Wimbledon champion Lleyton Hewitt defeated Olivier Mutis, 7-6 (3), 6-1, in the opening round of the TD Waterhouse Cup Tuesday night.

Hewitt, seeded No. 2, boosted his record to 49-13. The Australian, who won the Leggs Mason Classic last week, has won 50 or more matches in three of the last four years.

The 23-year-old Hewitt, who held the world's No. 1 ranking for 75 straight weeks from November 2001 to April 2003, improved to 13-2 on the North American hard court circuit this year, but not before early struggles against Mutis.

``It took a while for me to adjust to Mutis,'' Hewitt said. ``I never played him before and I had to feel my way. The first set should have been easier than 7-6. I had him 5-3 and 40-15 but couldn't get the clincher.''

Hewitt also found out Tuesday that he will be seeded fourth at next week's U.S. Open and has plenty of confidence going into the event he won in 2001.

``All I have to do is continue the way I have been hitting the ball,'' he said.

kim4eva
08-25-2004, 12:21 PM
:worship: Congrats Lleyton!

Keep all the good work up :yeah:

Danni
08-25-2004, 12:55 PM
yay 4 lleyts! :yippee:

Billabong
08-25-2004, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the article :yeah:!

NOMAD
08-26-2004, 02:28 PM
Hewitt takes short cut to Long Island
August 26, 2004

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Lleyton Hewitt is flying: rather than taking a rest before next week's US Open, he has accepted a wildcard into another tournament, the TD Waterhouse Cup on Long Island.

It was such a hastily arranged entry that Hewitt arrived Greg Norman-style in a chartered helicopter. :cool: Maybe Norman gave him the contact details when Hewitt caddied for him at the Australian PGA last year. :D

One thing is certain - things are looking up for Hewitt. The seedings for the final grand slam tournament of the year, starting on Monday at Flushing Meadows, were announced on Tuesday and he was slotted in at No.4.

It's significant because for the first time in a long time, Hewitt is able to avoid being drawn against world No.1 Roger Federer or No.2 Andy Roddick until at least the semi-finals. If he gets that far into the tournament, with that many wins under his belt, Hewitt will take some beating.

His victory at last week's Washington Classic could well be replicated this week, with Andre Agassi's withdrawal leaving Peru's Luis Horna, two-time defending champion Paradorn Srichaphan and veteran Todd Martin as his biggest dangers.

Advertisement
Advertisement
"I'm feeling very good," Hewitt said after his 7-6 (7-3), 6-1 win over Frenchman Olivier Mutis in the opening round at Long Island. "I wanted to keep the momentum going. I'm just enjoying my tennis now. I should have won the first set easier than 7-6."

Hewitt's return to the world's top five this week came just eight months after his dramatic fall to No.18. He's gradually clawing his way back towards the top spot, which he held for 75 consecutive weeks between November, 2001, and April, 2003.

Not that Hewitt cares too much about rankings. He wants to win more grand slams.

Federer and Roddick both lost early at the Olympics, which Hewitt skipped because he thought preparing properly for the US Open was more important.

The former Wimbledon and US Open champion won't be the only Australian contender at Flushing Meadows.

His supporting act this time will be Alicia Molik, who is brimming with confidence after leaving Athens with a cherished bronze medal in her bag - an achievement that brought a tear to her eye.

With a big serve, big groundstrokes and sharp volleys, 17th-seeded Molik has all the tools. She can beat anyone on her day and at 23 years of age, she's starting to blossom. There could be more good days to come.

AAP

Sunshine1
08-26-2004, 10:38 PM
Lleyton beat Llodra 6-1,6-4 :)

Bibi
08-26-2004, 10:40 PM
Lleyton beat Llodra 6-1,6-4 :)
:woohoo: Way to go Lleyton. Keep on going!!!

star
08-27-2004, 12:56 AM
YEA HelicopterLleyton!!!!!

Socket
08-27-2004, 02:10 AM
Go Helicopter!Lleyton!!!

Hewitt coasts into quarters
From correspondents in New York
27aug04

SECOND seed Lleyton Hewitt beat Frenchman Michael Llodra 6-1 6-4 to move into the quarter-finals of the Long Island Cup today.

Fresh from his third title of the year last weekend in Washington, Hewitt will face the winner of a later match between fifth seed Juan Chela of Argentina and Thomas Enqvist.

Hewitt won the opening set over 56th-ranked Llodra with consummate ease, and maintained control throughout the second to polish his game before Monday's start of the US Open.

He has been dividing his time this week training at the Flushing Meadow US Open venue in Queens and being ferried from his Manhattan hotel in a helicopter laid on by organisers.

The two-time Grand Slam champion, is determined to do well as he bids for a second title in New York after winning the Open in 2001.

He said that the dramas of a 17th-place finish last season was mainly due to his level of activity.

"The biggest reason I slipped was that I didn't play enough events," said the 23-year-old. "That didn't help my ranking much. But my motivation has returned and I'm trying to continue the good form I showed in Washington and most of this season, especially these last few weeks on hardcourt."

Hewitt has now collected 12 wins from his past 13 matches and is riding a seven-match winning run.

Llodra reached the Adelaide final in January and the fourth round at Roland Garros, as well as his second final of 2004 in the Netherlands on grass.

Earlier, Nikolay Davydenko moved into the last eight at the expense of eighth seed Fernando Verdasco of Spain 7-6 (7-4) 6-3.

Socket
08-27-2004, 03:07 AM
Hewitt Continues Excellent U.S. Open Build - Up
By REUTERS

Published: August 26, 2004

Filed at 9:48 p.m. ET

COMMACK, New York (Reuters) - Second seed Lleyton Hewitt continued his excellent build-up to next week's U.S. Open when a 6-1, 6-4 win over Frenchman Michael Llodra Thursday put him in the quarter-finals of the $380,000 Long Island Cup.

Hewitt, who will be the fourth seed at Flushing Meadows, outplayed the world number 56 to remain on course for his fourth title of the season.

He will face fifth seed Juan Ignacio Chela in the last eight after the Argentine beat Thomas Enqvist of Sweden 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 in the late match.

``I played well today,'' Hewitt told reporters. ``I was right on to his serve from the start, which was important, as he's quite flashy out there.

``I just wanted to make him play one extra ball every time. In the second set I knew he'd get better and try to take it up a bit on his serve, and I just hung in there.''

Llodra, who won his first singles title in Den Bosch in June, tried to pressure Hewitt into making mistakes but the Australian was close to his ruthless best, breaking three times on his way to taking the first set in 25 minutes.

DISPUTED CALL

The match was interrupted by a 10-minute discussion over a disputed line-call but Hewitt's concentration remained solid as he clinched victory on his first match point with a topspin lob.

At 6-1, 1-0 to Hewitt, with Llodra leading 30-15 on serve, the Frenchman swung a serve wide to the Australian's backhand. Hewitt played the ball back into court but did not chase the next shot, saying the linesman had called the serve a fault.

A discussion ensued and the point was awarded to Llodra, although the line officials were replaced at the next change of ends.

``I was standing probably a meter in front of the guy and he called fault. It was one of those calls that he probably knew as soon as he made it that it was wrong,'' Hewitt said.

``I wasn't arguing that the ball was out, my point was that I stopped playing after I got the ball back.''

The incident seemed to lift Llodra but Hewitt broke in the 10th game to clinch victory.

He has now won 12 of his last 13 matches and will head into the U.S. Open, where he reached the quarterfinals last year, high on confidence.

``I probably feel a little more confident,'' he said. ``This year I am hitting the ball better going in. Having said that, I played well at the U.S. Open last year, even against Juan Carlos Ferrero (in the quarterfinals), but there's nothing better than winning matches.''

Earlier Thursday, Russian Nikolay Davydenko edged out eighth seed Fernando Verdasco of Spain 7-6, 6-3. He now plays ninth seed Luis Horna of Peru, who beat Finn Jarkko Nieminen 6-3, 6-4.

FanOfHewitt
08-27-2004, 03:31 AM
Let's see if Lleyton can get some revenge on Juan Igancio for that Indian Wells match Lleyton lost earlier in the year.

Winning this match will give Lleyton a lot of confidence and he should take the title and be ready to roll in the US Open where he'll have to meet a couple of other rivals in the first couple of matches, Wayne Ferreira and Hicham Arazi. Both Ferreira and Arazi have won their last matches against Lleyton, so beating Chela should give him the confidence that he can turn the tide on players that have beaten him in thier last encounter.

star
08-27-2004, 07:13 PM
Tangy went to the tournament and got to see Lleyton play!!

I'm after her to give more details. :)

Aussie_Kim
08-28-2004, 01:59 AM
Yay! Well done Lleyts!
I can't wait for the US Open next week, (even though there'll be no Kim)!! :sad:

NOMAD
08-28-2004, 04:09 AM
TD WATERHOUSE CUP
Long Island, USA.
August 27, 2004
Hewitt, Srichaphan Advace to Long Island Semis

Two-time defending champion Paradorn Srichaphan and Lleyton Hewitt, the winner of eight straight matches, both won in three sets to advance to the semifinals of the TD Waterhouse Cup in Long Island. Srichaphan will play Luis Horna while Hewitt will battle Dmitry Tursunov.

Srichaphan battled from behind to advance to the semifinals with a 3-6 7-6(3) 6-3 win over Joachim Johansson. Johansson broke Srichaphan in the first and last games of the opening set to take a 1-0 lead. That was the first set in eight matches in Long Island that Srichaphan had dropped a set, dating back to the 2002 final. Johansson saved five break points in the second set to push it to a tie-break. A Johansson double fault as he trailed 3-4 in the tie-break gave Srichaphan the advantage. Srichaphan broke Johansson in the eighth game of the final set, then finished off the match with back-to-back aces.

Hewitt lost the first set in a tie-break, then dominated the rest of the action for a 6-7(6) 6-1 6-1 win over Juan Ignacio Chela. Chela broke Hewitt in the third game of the match, then saved seven break points before finally prevailing after nine deuces in the fourth game to open up a 3-1 lead. Hewitt got the break back in the 10 th game of the set, pushing the opening set to a tie-break. Chela won the tie-break despite two double faults. Hewitt dominated the second set and third sets to come from behind to win his eighth straight match.

Luis Horna battled to a 6-4 6-7(2) 6-4 win over Nikolay Davydenko in two hours and 19 minutes to advance to his fourth semifinal of 2004. Daydenko had two double faults in the 10 th game of the opening set to give the set to Horna. The players opened the second set by exchanging breaks of serve before Davydenko dominated the tie-break to earn a split of the first two sets. In the final set, Horna broke Davydenko twice to race to a 4-0 lead, but Davydenko got a break of his own to get back to 4-3. Horna was able to hold serve twice down the stretch to take the match.

Dmitry Tursunov got through to his first career semifinal, coming from behind to beat Jurgen Melzer 4-6 7-6(5) 6-4. The 21-year-old Tursunov is now 13-15 in 2004. After Melzer won the first set, Tursunov prevailed in the second set tie-break, then used two breaks of serve in the final set to win the match.

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID

Johansson: "This morning my stomach felt a little upset. :sad: After the first game I started to feel more and more tired and finally in the third set I felt I couldn't do my best anymore."

"He just started playing better and I couldn't run as much. I felt like I was playing under pressure the whole match. If I played the same as I did in the first set I could have won the match."

"My serve felt pretty easy and put more pressure on him in the first set. In the third set I just started feeling tired."

Srichaphan: "I tried to stay positive [when Johansson was winning]. I just kept thinking if I hit good shots I can win, and this is my house."

"To play here and win two matches in a row gives me a lot of confidence and playing the quarterfinal match against the guy I lost to in the Olympics is not easy."

"Its hard to get into a rhythm against a guy with such a big serve. It's hard to get a rally going."

"Building from here I have a lot of confidence. I'm expecting to go into the US Open expecting to do well.

Hewitt: "I started playing well about half way through the first set, but it didn't show on the scoreboard. I tried to put pressure on him in the second set and it worked."

"This is the best I have hit the ball this week."

"We (Chela) had a good match in Indian Wells this year where I came back and won the second set after losing the first set. So I wasn't overconfident going into the third set, but I played well and won."

SATURDAY PREVIEW

Lleyton Hewitt takes an eight match winning streak into a semifinal showdown with Russian Dmitry Tursunov. Hewitt has won 13 of his last 14 matches, having reached the finals in Cincinnati and earning his 22 nd career title in Washington, D.C. This is the seventh semifinal of the year for Hewitt, a former World No. 1. Tursunov is playing in his first career semifinal. Hewitt and Tursunov have never met in an ATP match.

Two-time defending champion Paradorn Srichaphan will look for his 14 th straight win in Long Island when he battles Luis Horna in the semifinals. It is the third semifinal of the year for Srichaphan, and the fourth for Horna, who is looking to advance to his first career ATP final. The 23-year-old Peruvian has reached three previous semifinals in 2004, but Long Island is his first career semifinal on hard courts. Srichaphan, the No. 4 seed, won his first career ATP title here in Long Island in 2002, and is looking to win his sixth career title this week. Srichaphan and Horna have never previously met.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 3-Hewitt, Paradorn head for Long Island showdown
Sat 28 August, 2004 04:03

By Simon Cambers

COMMACK, New York, Aug 27 (Reuters) - Former world number one Lleyton Hewitt and defending champion Paradorn Srichaphan moved a step closer to a showdown at the $380,000 Long Island Cup after coming through tough quarter-finals on Friday.

Hewitt outlasted fifth seed Juan Ignacio Chela 6-7 6-1 6-1 to take his winning streak to eight matches, having lifted the title in Washington last weekend, while Paradorn withstood a barrage of huge hitting to beat Swede Joachim Johansson 3-6 7-6 6-3.

"That was the best I've played this week," second seed Hewitt told reporters. "He is a top 20 player, a guy I really respect, and he makes you think about what you are doing.

"I was mentally tough out there, even though I had a lot of break-point chances, and I really just hung in there."

The Australian now faces Russian Dmitry Tursunov, who put out 10th seed Jurgen Melzer of Austria 4-6 7-6 6-4. Paradorn, looking to become only the second man to win the tournament three times in a row, plays ninth seed Luis Horna of Peru.

Chela went into the match full of confidence having beaten Hewitt in their only previous meeting and began well, breaking serve in the first game. Hewitt broke back in the 10th, only to double fault at 6-5 in the tiebreak as the Argentine won it 8-6.

Hewitt stepped it up at the start of the second set and, once he had broken in the third game, the match turned on its head.

TRADED BRAKES

A run of five consecutive games gave him the set and though the pair traded breaks at the start of the third, Hewitt broke again in the fifth game on his way to victory.

Earlier, Ivan Lendl's record as the only man to win the event in three successive years looked safe as seventh seed Johansson, who beat Paradorn 6-2 6-3 in the first round of the Athens Olympics 10 days ago, broke the Thai in the opening game.

Johansson boomed down a series of serves over the 140-mph mark as he took the first set. But as the match wore on, he tightened up and fourth seed Paradorn, sensing his chance, forced a second-set tiebreak and won it 7-3.

One break, in the eighth game of the third set, was enough for him to clinch victory.

"This is my house," Paradorn said. "There was nothing much I could do (when Johansson was hitting aces), but I just tried to hang in there and try to play a bit better.

"It's hard to find your rhythm against someone who serves so big because you probably don't have many long rallies, so I just had to try to get the serve back and go from there."

Johansson said he struggled with a stomach problem before the match.

"I couldn't really eat this morning," he said. "I tried to keep the points short but he started playing better and put a lot of pressure on me, especially in the third set."

Horna progressed by beating Nikolay Davydenko of Russia 6-4 6-7 6-4.

Danni
08-28-2004, 06:58 AM
well done lleyts :D :woohoo:

Aussie_Kim
08-28-2004, 03:50 PM
Well done Lleyton!
Can't wait for him to play US Open. I'm particularly interested in the Arazi v Lleyton match cos it will be a nice preview to Davis Cup which I can't wait to go to in September!!! :D

Auscon
08-28-2004, 05:24 PM
Well done Lleyton!
Can't wait for him to play US Open. I'm particularly interested in the Arazi v Lleyton match cos it will be a nice preview to Davis Cup which I can't wait to go to in September!!! :D

Me neither :)

Heres hoping Philippoussis plays aswell

kim-fan
08-28-2004, 07:06 PM
another final! well done lleyton! :D

Bibi
08-28-2004, 07:07 PM
:woohoo: Lleyton in the final :woohoo:
C'mon Lleyton!!!

Too bad Tursunov had to give up injured :sad: !

Crazy_Fool
08-28-2004, 07:15 PM
Well done Lleyton!! :banana: Good luck in the final :)

Socket
08-28-2004, 07:19 PM
:woohoo: Lleyton in the final :woohoo:
C'mon Lleyton!!!

Too bad Tursunov had to give up injured :sad: !

Yes, but I'm really glad that Lleyton caught a break and got off the court in less than an hour. :) Good luck tomorrow in the final, Lleyton! :) :D

Bibi
08-28-2004, 09:49 PM
UPDATED 4:35 P.M., AUGUST 28 Lleyton Hewitt advanced to the championship match of the TD Waterhouse Cup after a mere 43 minutes on court. His first time opponent Dmitry Tursunov of Russia retired after losing the first set 3-6, and down a break 0-1 in the second. Hewitt will play the winner of tonight's match between Luis Horna and Paradorn Srichaphan.
Hewitt won the toss and served up the first game with two aces. He continued to play aggressively and held serve at love in the fifth game which ended with two consecutive aces. With his solid strokes, smart shot selection, and dictatorial strategy, Hewitt plowed on, winning at love, once again, in the next game. He then held serve to take a 5-2 lead, and ended the set with two more aces at 6-3.
The second set saw only one game, in which down 15-0, Hewitt decided to break and won four straight points. It was at this point that the trainer met Tursunov at his bench, and he retired from his first quarterfinal match of his career on tour.

I think there is an error in the article :o Shouldn't it be semi-final in stead of quarterfinal???

Bibi
08-28-2004, 09:51 PM
And another one:

Second seed Lleyton Hewitt reached the final of the Long Island Cup sooner than expected on Saturday when Russian Dmitry Tursunov retired from their semi-final match because of injury.

The Australian was leading 6-3 1-0 when the unseeded Tursunov, who had been struggling with a back injury, decided to quit.

World number one Hewitt has now won 14 of his last 15 matches, having clinched his third title of the year in Washington last weekend.

The Australian will meet either defending champion Paradorn Srichaphan of Thailand or 10th seed Luis Horna of Peru in the final.

Reuters - 28/08/2004

tangerine_dream
08-29-2004, 03:19 AM
star, I missed half of Lleyton's match today before Dimitry retired. :banghead: I'm so pissed! Here's my useless mini-report of today if anyone cares to read (fyi, this is my first time seeing Lleyton play live so I'm kinda excited about it :banana: ):

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=735368&postcount=5594

The good news is that we're going to see the finals tomorrow :banana: and this time we'll leave a bit early in case problems arise on the LIE again. ;)

Even better news: PDorn is out of the finals. I just don't like watching his game at all. He's reminds me of Gonzo in that he's a brainless ball hitter; it doesn't seem like there's any thought process behind his shots. He wouldn't have stood a chance against Lleyton anyways. :p So now it's Lleyton vs. Horna. This should be interesting because they've never played each other before. :woohoo:

GOOD LUCK LLEYTON! SEE YOU TOMORROW!!! :bounce:

Billabong
08-29-2004, 04:04 AM
GOOOOOO Lleyton:woohoo:! Win this title;)!

star
08-29-2004, 04:16 AM
Thanks for the report, Tangy! :kiss:

Billabong
08-29-2004, 04:19 AM
Hi Christina :wavey:!!!

star
08-29-2004, 04:48 AM
:wavey: :hug:

NOMAD
08-29-2004, 04:49 AM
thanks so much for the report :worship: :worship: :worship: :kiss:

NOMAD
08-29-2004, 03:01 PM
Hewitt means business en route to open
August 30, 2004

The honour roll at the Hamlet Golf and Country Club reads as a who's who of modern-day US Open champions.

Ivan Lendl, Stefan Edberg, Andre Agassi and Patrick Rafter have all triumphed on the exclusive Long Island hardcourts before going on to reign supreme at downtown Flushing Meadows.

Now Lleyton Hewitt is hoping to follow in the footsteps of his fellow former world No.1s en route to more grand slam glory in New York.

The 2002 US Open champion altered his schedule to accept an 11th-hour wildcard into the T. D. Waterhouse Cup after reaching consecutive finals in Cincinnati and Washington. Last year, he opted for a reduced build-up to Flushing Meadows and it may not have been any coincidence that he failed to reach the semi-finals there for the first time since 1999.

Rafter in 1997 and '98 and Andy Roddick last year have proven that a rigorous program that yields title after title on the American hardcourts can be the perfect recipe for US Open success.

Hewitt, whose 43-minute dismissal of Dmitry Tursonov at the weekend - the Russian cited a back injury when trailing 6-3, 1-0 - was the South Australian's 14th win from 15 matches and vaulted Hewitt into the final against Peruvian Luis Horna.

But the dual grand slam champion said a second title in as many weeks wasn't his motivation for upping his workload.

"I was more just trying to find some form, I think," Hewitt said " Just get used to the American hardcourt surface again after coming off the clay and the grass stretch [after] a long period there.

"I just wanted to get a good base going into the US Open and this has been great for me. I've got a lot of confidence going into the open."

Long Island may evoke beachside images, but the suburb of Commack, where Hewitt is finetuning his game, is anything but picturesque. There is no water within kilometres. The only views are of factories and long, flat roads.

Hewitt is in town for business, not pleasure.

"There's going to be no easy matches at the US Open," he said. "You've got to go out there and do all the preparation before the tournament starts and I feel like I've been able to do that. I feel pretty confident at the moment, but you want to take that into next week.

"I'm as happy as I could be going into the US Open, but, then again, you've got to go out there - whether I play Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday - and get it done in the US Open.

"More than anything, you've got to find a way to win in those matches - they're best-of-five sets. At the moment, everything's going well and I'm happy with the way I'm hitting the ball."

Fourth-seeded Hewitt, like countryman Mark Philippoussis, is not expected to begin his open campaign until Tuesday or Wednesday. :D The top half of the men's draw, featuring the likes of top seed Roger Federer and two-time champion Andre Agassi, will get the ball rolling on Monday.

AAP

Socket
08-29-2004, 03:50 PM
I can't good-rep you yet, tangy, but thanks so much for the report. I'm really, really sorry that you got to watch so little of Lleyton's SF. Hopefully, he'll win the final and you can watch him do it! I can tell you from personal experience there's nothing that's as much fun as watching your player win a tournament final!

Jess
08-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Lleyts won 6-3, 6-1 :D Four titles this year :)

Danni
08-29-2004, 09:24 PM
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!! good work lleyton :worship:

Billabong
08-29-2004, 10:43 PM
Lleyton :woohoo:!!!!!!!!!!! I'm soooo happy for him:D!!! The US Open looks good to me;)!

Crazy_Fool
08-30-2004, 12:13 AM
Yay :banana:

I hope Lleyton can carry this form on and do something big at US Open :D

Congrats and good luck in NY!!

Aussie_Kim
08-30-2004, 02:55 AM
Wow!
Another Lleyton title!! :D I have a good feeling about US Open & he has a few days to rest before it starts too!

NOMAD
08-30-2004, 02:58 AM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

ally_014
08-30-2004, 08:26 AM
Yay Lleyton!! :yippee: :yippee:

tournesol
08-30-2004, 09:44 AM
well done Ll, congrats

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :yippee: :yippee:

star
08-30-2004, 04:29 PM
Tangy just made a quick comment in Andy's place that she needs to do a write up about Lleyton's match and posted this: "I don't know if it's possible to become a bigger fan of somebody but it sure feels like it."

I think when it comes to Lleyton it is definitely possible!!!!

And even probable. :)

tangerine_dream
09-02-2004, 07:08 PM
If anyone's interested, here's my write-up on the TDW finals :)

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=745761&postcount=5735

Socket
09-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Tangy, thanks for posting your write-up, it was very interesting to read! Glad that you had a good time.

babkonzerv
09-03-2004, 10:43 AM
Thanks a lot Tangy! It was fun to read you report :)