Who wins Madrid semi? Federer or Del Potro? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who wins Madrid semi? Federer or Del Potro?

LocoPorElTenis
05-15-2009, 11:42 PM
Vote and discuss. Poll coming shortly.

Knightmace
05-15-2009, 11:42 PM
WWW???

Tough one but Fed in 2 tight ones

tennishero
05-15-2009, 11:43 PM
with the way both players are playing at the moment, delpotro could take this one.

groundstroke
Federer in two, Del Potro has had a very, very unlucky draw.

LocoPorElTenis
I think Pony takes his first set off Federer.... dream draw for Roger to be sure

dylan24
05-15-2009, 11:44 PM
fed will tank.
wants no part of an ass kicking in final from rafa or novak

Arkulari
05-15-2009, 11:44 PM
I think Roger might take this one (even if I said the same on Miami about Rafa :o )

LocoPorElTenis
05-15-2009, 11:45 PM

well, better Fed than Nadal in the semis.
I'd argue that JMDP had a great draw - Muzza was certainly the most beatable player in the top 4 to face in the QFs, and Fed is the most beatable of the top 2 to face in the semis.

oranges
05-15-2009, 11:47 PM

How so? The other option was Nadal's half.

Roddickominator
05-15-2009, 11:48 PM
1. Federer doesn't want to play Nadal until Roland Garros. He may tank this match.

2. Federer is a bad match-up for Del Potro.

3. Del Potro is in excellent clay form at the moment....at least judging from the Murray match. Federer is not.

The verdict: Who effing knows. Del Potro in 3.

finishingmove
05-15-2009, 11:49 PM
del potro is the real #4 now. federer is a top 5 player at best.

groundstroke
05-15-2009, 11:51 PM
1. Federer doesn't want to play Nadal until Roland Garros. He may tank this match.

2. Federer is a bad match-up for Del Potro.

3. Del Potro is in excellent clay form at the moment....at least judging from the Murray match. Federer is not.

The verdict: Who effing knows. Del Potro in 3.

Federer will beat Del Potro in 2 easy sets, Del Potro has had a rough draw and he is a terrible match-up for Federer - who gets bagelled twice on their favourite surface in a Grand Slam? (6-3 6-0 6-0..)

shotgun
05-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Not only it's a terrible match-up for Del Potro, but also the organizers already did Federer a great favour with the schedule. Federer in 2.

tennishero
05-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Federer will beat Del Potro in 2 easy sets, Del Potro has had a rough draw and he is a terrible match-up for Federer - who gets bagelled twice on their favourite surface in a Grand Slam? (6-3 6-0 6-0..)

that was before, this is now. since then pony has improved his ranking and beaten nadal and murray.

Sunset of Age
05-15-2009, 11:54 PM
If it's this same DelPo showing up as the one today, + the same Fed showing up, I wouldn't be too surprised to see DelPo take it, to be honest.

In any case, it will be a tight match.

Johnny Groove
Fed should win, but Pony in 3, baby.

groundstroke
well, better Fed than Nadal in the semis.
I'd argue that JMDP had a great draw - Muzza was certainly the most beatable player in the top 4 to face in the QFs, and Fed is the most beatable of the top 2 to face in the semis.

Federer is a better player than Murray on any surface and Federer is a terrible match-up for Del Potro, who is tired after playing so many long matches this week (I think?), he looked tired today and he had a huge match against Wawa.

LocoPorElTenis
05-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Potro won't bend over like in Australia.... but he'll be dead tired while Fed will be fresh as a daisy. I think I revise my prediction to Roger in 2.

Andi-M
Del Potro in 3.
He's beaten Nadal and Murray he is the real deal i see no reason why Fed wont join his scalp collection tommorow.

rubbERR
you gotta go delpo for 3...but its all about how federer serves.

LocoPorElTenis
05-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Federer is a better player than Murray on any surface and Federer is a terrible match-up for Del Potro, who is tired after playing so many long matches this week (I think?), he looked tired today and he had a huge match against Wawa.

Yes, but in the semis either you play Nadal or you play someone else. From those two options, Nadal is certainly the worst one. Potro wasn't unlucky with the draw, he simply isn't at the level of reaching a TMS final yet.

groundstroke
05-15-2009, 11:57 PM
that was before, this is now. since then pony has improved his ranking and beaten nadal and murray.

Hah, before? 3 months before? Are you joking? Federer is the best player on any surface (except for clay, where Nadal is the king), he will out-power, out-think, out-serve, out-style Del Potro in every possible way, not to mention Federer has an excellent record against tall players - he knows how to work the net with them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Federer won 6-3 6-2 or something, even a bagel in there maybe, if Roger brings his B+ game.

Titi
Yeah expect Fed to win but hoping DP makes it competitive.

Likely Fed will come to the net and be more aggressive than Murray.

Dini
Holy sheeeeeeeet DelPo is leading the poll! :eek:

Horatio Caine
05-15-2009, 11:58 PM
Well, can never be overly confident these days, but I'd still pull for Roger here.

pica_pica
05-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Looking forward to this one. Whether it's competitive or not depends on what's left in Delpo's tank. He might be too excited now past midnight after the win.

pica_pica
05-16-2009, 12:03 AM
This match-up now looks even more intriguing than the Rafa-Nole one! Wow!

Beforehand
05-16-2009, 12:04 AM
Roger's got a surprise for Rafa at RG (:scared: :rolls:), so he tanks this one.

madmax
05-16-2009, 12:07 AM
hmm...let's see here - brainless ball bashing machine against the most complete player of all time, take ypur picks ladies and gents:devil: Yeah, I guess so too...

finishingmove
05-16-2009, 12:10 AM
quickfacts:

federer lost a set to roddick. on clay.
federer won't be able to expose del potro's main weakness (dealing with low balls, madrid bounce is high)
pony is coming from a big win in his career
pony displayed clutch play and has a decent w/ue ratio.

born_on_clay
05-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Del Potro is just scared thinking he has to play The Swiss Master.
Fed in two easy without tiebreak
Yeah, I want a Fedal final :)

groundstroke
05-16-2009, 12:12 AM
This match-up now looks even more intriguing than the Rafa-Nole one! Wow!

It does indeed! We shouldn't take notice of their h2h.

Roger Federer 4 - 0 Del Potro

LocoPorElTenis
05-16-2009, 12:12 AM
hmm...let's see here - brainless ball bashing machine against the most complete player of all time, take ypur picks ladies and gents:devil: Yeah, I guess so too...

Del Potro is a ballbasher, but not a brainless ballbasher... brainless is Blake, or Berdych. Potro has point construction and doesn't go for the winner in every shot.
Fed used to be the most complete player of all time, nowadays Del Potro has a better FH and BH.

FedFan_2007
05-16-2009, 12:20 AM
If it's this same DelPo showing up as the one today, + the same Fed showing up, I wouldn't be too surprised to see DelPo take it, to be honest.

In any case, it will be a tight match.

Huh Karin? Roger was pretty good today. I think GoodRoger beats JMDPGod, but I have a feeling that FedGod will show up tomorrow and slap down the pony 6-3, 6-1.

FedFan_2007
05-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Del Potro is just scared thinking he has to play The Swiss Master.
Fed in two easy without tiebreak
Yeah, I want a Fedal final :)

You should be scared, Madrid = Hamburg and Roger has won it 4 times! :p

Sunset of Age
05-16-2009, 12:23 AM
Huh Karin? Roger was pretty good today. I think GoodRoger beats JMDPGod, but I have a feeling that FedGod will show up tomorrow and slap down the pony 6-3, 6-1.

Fed was okay today - not what I'd call pretty good. The best news from his match was that he refused to brainfart this time after he lost the 2nd set (which he shouldn't have lost in the first place).

DelPo was very impressive imho, playing aggressively and being able to execute his game plan correctly. Playing aggressively WITHOUT piling up tons of UEs is not an easy thing to do, as wel all know by now.

Anyway, for tomorrow, I hope you are right and that I am wrong, of course. :)

alfonsojose
05-16-2009, 12:43 AM
If BabyFed loses this one :help:

FedFan_2007
05-16-2009, 12:44 AM
If BabyFed loses this one :help:

I thought BabyFed was busted for coke and is going to be banned for 2 years? :D

philosophicalarf
05-16-2009, 12:48 AM
Federer's match finished about 10 hours before Potro's. Ludicrous.

rubbERR
05-16-2009, 01:20 AM
If guy like wawrinka can beat federer you never know what will happen this one.

federernadalfan
05-16-2009, 01:21 AM
del potro's game will combust. he will play half the game he played today and lose to fed as usual in two

FlameOn
05-16-2009, 01:22 AM
My heart says Delpo in 3, so I voted that. I'm expecting Federer in 2, only because Juan will not be able to forget the past and take advantage of Slumperer.

icedevil0289
05-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Holy sheeeeeeeet DelPo is leading the poll! :eek:

That's a good thing right? MTF has officially jinxed Del Potro.

rubbERR
05-16-2009, 01:25 AM
probably Federer beating Potro and then Nadal will bagel Federer in final.

MacTheKnife
05-16-2009, 02:05 AM
Two tightly contested sets that are split, but Fed pulls away in the third. Fed will draw D-pot in and expose his volley more that Murray did. Murray just stayed well behind the base line, played defense and allowed D-pot to dictate play from well inside the baseline. I just can't see Fed allowing that to happen for 3 sets.

w78dexon_y
05-16-2009, 02:45 AM

unlucky draw??

LOL, should he face Rafa or Djoker to be considered of a lucky draw???
:haha:

w78dexon_y
05-16-2009, 02:48 AM
fed will tank.
wants no part of an ass kicking in final from rafa or novak

doubt it.
Rog enjos being ass kicked by Rafa. It's been so many yars since he losing to rafa comfortably, so he must enjoy it.

w78dexon_y
05-16-2009, 02:57 AM

lol...why didn't he tank it against Roddick? Just to avoid tanking it against Delpo. Un like Roddick, Delpo is a threat to his position in the foreeable future. :rolleyes:

people talking crazy stuff. Tanking a match doesn't happen every day as some people talking about it on dayly base in here. Everyone is gonna tank it.

Look this logic:

RAFA will tank it against Djoker: wants to rest before FO, avoid final, and makes Djoker think that he is beatable.

DJOKER will tank it: to rest for FO, avoid final and hide his secret weapons and make rafa believe he's unbeatable before he takes him down in FO.

DELPO will ank it: to make other Big clay courters believe that he is still green, and then go all the way to the final in FO.

how's this sound to you? Whoever loses tomorrow he tanked it then?!

Roddickominator
05-16-2009, 03:00 AM
Dude Fed has already stated clearly that he thinks it's a good idea if he doesn't play Nadal until Roland Garros. He tanked last tournament....and I wouldn't be surprised if he did here either.

Why wouldn't he tank against A-Rod? He doesn't want to give Andy any confidence in his abilities against Fed....if that somehow happened then Andy could pose a threat to him and everyone else in a big tournament. That and he could use the court time+ranking points.

w78dexon_y
05-16-2009, 03:11 AM
Dude Fed has already stated clearly that he thinks it's a good idea if he doesn't play Nadal until Roland Garros. He tanked last tournament.....

tanked Rome? :haha::haha::haha:

Why wouldn't he tank against A-Rod? He doesn't want to give Andy any confidence in his abilities against Fed.....

:haha::haha::haha::haha:
this one has one more LMAO!!
he is worrying to give a confidence to a guy who he beat 17 times already!!!??? ahahaha..
But by the same talken he is happy to tank it and give confidence to a young gun who never beat him before, plus who are coming up close to take his position soon??

Noc omment to this one. Live with that.

w78dexon_y
05-16-2009, 03:14 AM
Dude Fed has already stated clearly that he thinks it's a good idea if he doesn't play Nadal until Roland Garros. He tanked last tournament....

Rog's best idea would be if he never plays Rafa, Djoker and Murray.

Roddickominator
05-16-2009, 03:20 AM
tanked Rome? :haha::haha::haha:

Did you see the match? It was pretty obvious.

:haha::haha::haha::haha:
this one has one more LMAO!!
he is worrying to give a confidence to a guy who he beat 17 times already!!!??? ahahaha..
But by the same talken he is happy to tank it and give confidence to a young gun who never beat him before, plus who are coming up close to take his position soon??

Noc omment to this one. Live with that.

Roddick is a legitimate threat who has won a Grand Slam tournament with best of 5 set matches....and pushed Fed MANY times(though obviously still usually loses). Fed doesn't want to let a guy who is basically his bitch back in. Not saying that losing to him once would accomplish that....but why risk it?

Del Potro is much less of a threat on the grand stage.

Either way, we'll see how Fed comes out tomorrow. I won't be surprised if he tanks.

RagingLamb
05-16-2009, 04:30 AM
Federer in 2, unless he has another meltdown. Delpo doesn't move well enough, nor is he aggressive enough to hurt Roger IMO.

habibko
05-16-2009, 04:31 AM
their first meeting on clay, Federer isn't playing his best tennis but not the worst tennis he played either, he is certainly good enough to get this match done in straights, however no one saw the Del Pony win over Nadal coming so :shrug:

It does indeed! We shouldn't take notice of their h2h.

Roger Federer 4 - 0 Del Potro

that doesn't accurately reflect the sort of domination Federer posed over Del Pony..

sets H2H

Federer 10 - 0 Del Potro

games H2H

Federer 61 - 22 Del Potro

trivia:

- Del Potro only broken Federer once and only had 5 break point chances in all their meetings.

- Federer was never even pushed to a tie-break.

- Federer bagelled Del Potro twice and breaksticked him twice.

MalwareDie
05-16-2009, 04:40 AM
Federer will bagel Mug Pony if he puts in a bit of effort. If Federer loses, he tanked the match. It's this simple.

HarryMan
05-16-2009, 05:08 AM
I don't see del Potro taking more than 3 games each set. Federer should school him (Fed's slice will frustrat del Potro like anything).

There is no chance for Pony to win this match.

chowdahead25
05-16-2009, 05:23 AM
Feds game is slowly but surely starting to click, atleast I think. 15 aces on clay isnt too bad. I like Rog something like 6-4 7-5

Greatness
05-16-2009, 05:28 AM
Federer has been making too many errors and Del Potro is going to put a lot of balls back in play.

Head says Roger in straights but Del Potro has good chances.

w78dexon_y
05-16-2009, 05:29 AM
Delpotro in two sets. 6:4, 6:2.

iriraz
05-16-2009, 05:52 AM
It`s really tough to beat Federer with a onedimensional game.Del Potro needs to use more variety because Federer feels very confortable with that game.Just like Roddick.

SaFed2005
05-16-2009, 05:53 AM
Not only it's a terrible match-up for Del Potro, but also the organizers already did Federer a great favour with the schedule. Federer in 2.

Man all these tournament organizers love sucking up to Federer by giving him the best possible scheduling, don't they. I mean dam how lucky can he be, right? You would think that since this is being played in Madrid they would favor Nadal, but nooooooo :rolleyes:

w78dexon_y
05-16-2009, 05:59 AM
It`s really tough to beat Federer with a onedimensional game.Del Potro needs to use more variety because Federer feels very confortable with that game.Just like Roddick.

one dimensional game? Have you watched Delpo at all?
The statistic for today said: 15 of 17 net approaches!! Plus huge serve, good backhand, deadly forhand...not bad with slices either....what else do you need?

You'll see in the s/f.

FedFan_2007
05-16-2009, 06:18 AM
one dimensional game? Have you watched Delpo at all?
The statistic for today said: 15 of 17 net approaches!! Plus huge serve, good backhand, deadly forhand...not bad with slices either....what else do you need?

You'll see in the s/f.

Fact remains DelPo has yet to take a set off Federer or even push him to a tiebreaker. Federer is nightmare matchup for him. Tennis is all about matchups. Fed in 2.

w78dexon_y
05-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Fact remains DelPo has yet to take a set off Federer or even push him to a tiebreaker.

And he is gonna take that set tomorrow. Twice!
Twice in a row! Rog's done!

Clara Bow
05-16-2009, 06:49 AM
Considering that Delpo is scheduled to play a doubles match right before his match with Federer- his low odds are even lower.

I will be happily surprised if he takes a set to 4 after the late match last night and the doubles right before plus his usual performance with Fed.

I hope he gives a fight- but I think it will be a whimper. More feeding for the Delpo is a talentless mug haters though..

rafa_maniac
05-16-2009, 06:59 AM
It doesn't matter how well Del Potro has been playing or how poorly Federer has been playing, Del Potro is simply useless against him. 2 sets as always.

Foxy
05-16-2009, 07:29 AM

It has always been like that. I've been discussing this issue with friends of mine who are NOT fed haters and they agree about the tendentious schedule fed receives. It is getting ridiculous. For example last time he played second SF was at RG2008. And now Madrid 2009. Almost an year. What a gap, ha?

zagro
05-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Del Potro in 3. this is the heart speaking.
Vamos Juan!

Foxy
05-16-2009, 07:39 AM
their first meeting on clay, Federer isn't playing his best tennis but not the worst tennis he played either, he is certainly good enough to get this match done in straights, however no one saw the Del Pony win over Nadal coming so :shrug:

that doesn't accurately reflect the sort of domination Federer posed over Del Pony..

sets H2H

Federer 10 - 0 Del Potro

games H2H

Federer 61 - 22 Del Potro

trivia:

- Del Potro only broken Federer once and only had 5 break point chances in all their meetings.

- Federer was never even pushed to a tie-break.

- Federer bagelled Del Potro twice and breaksticked him twice.

How about rog never lost a grand slam hard court final before AO 2009? Never taken to 5-sets either.

Certinfy
05-16-2009, 08:21 AM
JMDP in 3. lol

Mechlan
05-16-2009, 08:23 AM
How about rog never lost a grand slam hard court final before AO 2009? Never taken to 5-sets either.

How about how Nadal has never lost at RG? ;)

shotgun
05-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Man all these tournament organizers love sucking up to Federer by giving him the best possible scheduling, don't they. I mean dam how lucky can he be, right? You would think that since this is being played in Madrid they would favor Nadal, but nooooooo :rolleyes:

Thing is, the organizers have wanted a Nadal-Federer final since the start of the tournament. With Nadal on clay, the scheduling is irrelevant, you could put him up to play a match at 2 A.M. and another one at 10 A.M. and he'd still win both. But Federer lately needs all the help he can get. ;)

Arkulari
05-16-2009, 07:42 PM
now I have the feeling that Roger might want to tank this to not face Rafa, who's in the biggest confidence moment of his life I think, if he does win, I think he'll get double bageled tomorrow :unsure: :eek:

safinalium
05-16-2009, 07:49 PM
I want a JMDP-Rafa final :devil:

amonb
05-16-2009, 08:41 PM
I can see Del Potro smashing a racket in this match!!!!

Roddickominator
05-16-2009, 09:23 PM
Del Pony needs to start juicing.