Madrid QF: Nadal def. Verdasco 64 75 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Madrid QF: Nadal def. Verdasco 64 75

EnriqueIG8
05-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Closer scoreline as in Rome.
Fernando played some great tennis early in the second set, but Rafa raised his game to dig his way back.
Result never in doubt though.

HeretiC
If this guy is The Future of Tennis I am so switching to badminton. :shrug:

SheepleBuster
If we don't stay the course, we are all dead! You hear me! (that was Verdasco's coach after Nadal went on the run).

marcRD
05-15-2009, 09:23 PM
This was terrible, just terrible! Comparable to the Roddick-Federer today, awful, awful match.

Verdasco is a choker, always has been, always will be. People dont change.

federernadalfan
too good no?

rubbERR
this was a terrible choking, 2nd set...im wondering why in the earth verdasco serving those wta serves with no pace against nadal.

malisha
Verdasco is a disgrace

green25814
Nando you fucking clown.

SheepleBuster
That looked like Spanish on Spanish crime. Call the cops!

foul_dwimmerlaik
Nice job, Verdasco - a solid entry to teh "choke of the year" competition. :worship:

Jōris
Oz was a fluke for Verdasco.

chammer44
05-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Cold exchange at the end.

Arkulari
Nando choked spectaculary, Rafa's performance wasn't anything to write home about but he got the job done ;)

philosophicalarf
Utterly embarrassing choke by Verdasco. 4-0 up in the second set, Nadal holds, then Verdasco explodes. Gifts away service game with two simple errors and two double faults. From then on, barely could keep a shot in court, until Nadal was at mp.

Verdasco ended with 7 double faults.

Nadal didn't play well most of the match, you can see why he's been saying he doesn't like the bounce height and irregularity here.

RagingLamb
Nadal enjoying the mental advantage.

Verdasco had the game to take a set (at least), but couldn't keep it together when it mattered.

Gretchen.
up 4-0 in the second set Nando :o

biological
Nando... :sad:

so close to a third set :awww:

Albop
05-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Pathetic match.

Sad state for tennis :sad:

rubbERR
when this verdasco serving those paceless wta serves against nadal you know he is gonna lose even if doublebreak up.

SheepleBuster
Utterly embarrassing choke by Verdasco. 4-0 up in the second set, Nadal holds, then Verdasco explodes. Gifts away service game with two simple errors and two double faults. From then on, barely could keep a shot in court, until Nadal was at mp.

Verdasco ended with 7 double faults.

Nadal didn't play well most of the match, you can see why he's been saying he doesn't like the bounce height and irregularity here.

OK. Let's not forget Rafa did it twice to Roger last year in master series. So it's not just nando who chokes against Nadal.

justsumma
Clown punching throughout...

mark73
On clay nadal should give his opponent a 4-0 start each set. Just to give them a chance like he did in the second set today.

rhinooooo
05-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Oz was a fluke for Verdasco.

He's shown improvement because he's beating nearly everyone bar the big guns. His losses in the masters series have only been to Big 4 players.

The 2nd set choke was the Nando of old. Started spinning the serves in, poor decisions. Rafa was really not at his best.

Nando needs a win against a big gun to gain that self-belief.

philosophicalarf
05-15-2009, 09:27 PM
OK. Let's not forget Rafa did it twice to Roger last year in master series. So it's not just nando who chokes against Nadal.

True. However at least Nadal upped his game there. Here Verdasco just ****ed it away.

Goget
Stats :

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/6664/nadver.jpg

federernadalfan
verdasco needs to spice up his first serve speed, he has the potential to rip it like roddick but doesn't do as much

madmax
05-15-2009, 09:28 PM
yup, Nadull and his neverending luck, if only his competition didn't choke everytime, he still wouldn't have a single Grand Slam:unsure: Mug era..

Voo de Mar
Typical Nadal...

Nando should pray to avoid Nadal's section of the draw in Paris, otherwise will be his turkey after another straight sets loss. I think in the other section of the draw Nando has good shot to reach semifinal, maybe even final if Federer will be eliminated by the other player in the earlier round.

finishingmove
verdasco no pudo

Har-Tru
Why, Fernando, why?

Vida
05-15-2009, 09:29 PM
fernanando talks while he chokes....

rafa :yeah:

rofe
I am just glad that Roger is not the only one that chokes against Nadal in a set after being up two breaks.

SheepleBuster
Clay season is booooooooring. Rafa wins. Djokovic wins a set and chokes. Murray gets to tie-break. Roger tries to win the French. Roddick and Blake lose early. It's all so predictable. I think Gasquet made the best decision. Skipping the clay season was a great idea.

Smasher
05-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Stats are telling the whole story here

Sunset of Age
05-15-2009, 09:31 PM
A very sad brainfart from Verdasco, up till now the only one to give Rafa a match here in Madrid. I would have liked to see a third set.

The outcome would never be in doubt though. Rafa is obviously the best player out there, especially regarding his mental strength. Who cares if you're 0-4 down? (or 1-5 as I remember all too well... TWICE :help:) Just play on and get the job done!

Well done Rafa :hatoff: and well... Nando :hug: hope you keep your head screwed on next time.

Johnny Groove
05-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Verdasco just couldn't keep it up. It would have been awesome if he did. Nadal was throwing up mid court cream-puffs just waiting to get drilled.

nanoman
05-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Verdasco is such a wimp.
Someone should teach this loser to hit a running forehand. Makes me sick to see this pussy hit a floating slice on the run when the court was wide open and begging for a crushing forehand crosscourt.
It costed him the match in Australia.

Erica86
05-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Very poor match. It was one of the worst matches I have ever seen Rafa playing.
Of course, it was only his second match in Madrid. He was unlucky he didn't get his practice yesterday. Tomorrow against Nole, I suppose Rafa will play better, otherwise Nole will win the match.

finishingmove
05-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Why, Fernando, why?

SZE5PySawiM

Arkulari
05-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Rafa hit twice UEs to his winners number :eek: :eek:

norwegian_wood
05-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Well done Nando. :rolleyes:

born_on_clay
05-15-2009, 09:35 PM
6-4 7-5 if I played an awful match, no?

This is Sparta
05-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Match=meh

Deivid23
05-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Good old Fer :retard:

bobbynorwich
05-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Nadal, down 4 in the second set and pulling it out 7-5. So much for the problem of Madrid's altitude. :devil:

Seriously though, he manages to have more thrilling cliff-hangers than any other player in recent memory . Yet he almost always triumphs. http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/Smileys/default/superman.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0);)

Sunset of Age
05-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Rafa hit twice UEs to his winners number :eek: :eek:

I think the guy who counted those UEs was the same fellow who thought Bolelli hit some 50+ of those in that match against Muzza, to be honest. :shrug:

sphiie
05-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Congrats Rafa !!
You did well. Came back from 0-4 to 5-4... Good job!! :)
Now, I hope he wil raised his level against Djoko, it's an another story...

But, what a mental Rafael *.* freaking awesome.

HeretiC
05-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Not even going to mention the second set double break, he had 1st set almost in his pocket too. 4-4 0:30 easy put away coming from short ball couple of meters from the net, he has all the time in the world to put it anywhere he wants, and he goes with middle pace down the center and of course get passed. One of previous points: hitting 3 times in a row absolute sitters DTL right where Nadal was, with wide open left court, and result - passed again. He is the guy who is so concentrated on his own shots and never follows the opponent position or movement. Nando would be such a terrible hunter, he has all the guns and he will wound the pray, but he can't kill it.

Bad Religion
05-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Thank you Rafa for taking the trash out

A great favor to the mankind Rafa did

Erica86
05-15-2009, 09:41 PM
6-4 7-5 if I played an awful match, no?

Lol. You're right there.

rafa the best
05-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Rafa gave him those first 2 breaks and then he returned them , it's very simple.
Of course when Rafa plays terrible like in the first 3 games nobody mentions it here.

Bad Religion
05-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Nando should pray to avoid Nadal's section of the draw in Paris, otherwise will be his turkey after another straight sets loss. I think in the other section of the draw Nando has good shot to reach semifinal, maybe even final if Federer will be eliminated by the other player in the earlier round.

We all know this is the Mug era , but the idea of Verdadqueasco making a GS Final is too much even for this weak era

sphiie
05-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Rafa gave him those first 2 breaks and then he returned them , it's very simple.
Of course when Rafa plays terrible like in the first 3 games nobody mentions it here.

I didn't see those first 3 games. Rafael played very weel in the 1st 3 games isn't it?

Voo de Mar
05-15-2009, 10:12 PM
We all know this is the Mug era , but the idea of Verdadqueasco making a GS Final is too much even for this weak era

If players like Pernfors, Berasategui, Verkerk and Puerta could reach French Open final, I don't see any reason why Verdasco wouldn't achieve the same, he's better.

Bad Religion
05-15-2009, 10:27 PM
If players like Pernfors, Berasategui, Verkerk and Puerta could reach French Open final, I don't see any reason why Verdasco wouldn't achieve the same, he's better.

Better than Pernfors and Berasategui :spit:

El Vasco at the age of Verdasco had 14 titles won . Pernfors way more talented than your ballbasher hero

groundstroke
05-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Typical Verdasco, up 4-2 and when I tune in to the match its 5-4 to Nadal.

PiggyGotRoasted
05-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Players pushing nadal more and more.

superslam77
05-15-2009, 10:32 PM
this is how the story goes..

*i come back home and turn the T.V set on, there must be some tennis.
*nadull vs nando and it's 6-4, "oh he must have choked the first i think to myself"
*who i'm i kidding and go to my laptop but before you know it nando is roasting his pumped ass.
*nando up 3-0 in the 2nd set and the president of the tournament(stupid biased fanboy!) looks like he been shot. 4-0 for a second you think it will a roasting day,i joke to myself he will choke it anyways, the fanboys and girls screaming when dull loses a game but he always win is so ZzZzZz.
*dull wins a game then another, you can see the the obvious about the happen.
*4-4, nando going crazy, i am almost falling asleep at this point knowing what ever happens,4-5 now and nadull has match points..
*nando aces and goes duece, corrupted toni says in spanish" hijo de #$##@, translation:son of a $%$.(greedy bastard)
*next game nando makes errors all over and says hijo de...:p
*i finally fall asleep knowing it will end 5-7.
*woke up, game over and.. same shit new year..

never in doubt!

Rafattack
05-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Players pushing nadal more and more.
:DHave you been at the funny cheese again, Piggy? You and your dreams! I think your little piggy JMDP may well get roasted tonight to Muzza... And please remember it's the altitude pushing Rafa, not the players. Let's not get carried away and become too deluded!:worship: ROASTED!

Rafattack
05-15-2009, 10:52 PM
Important win for Rafa on an off day! Next Muzza and then serve Federer bagels in the final!

PiggyGotRoasted
:DHave you been at the funny cheese again, Piggy? You and your dreams! I think your little piggy JMDP may well get roasted tonight to Muzza... And please remember it's the altitude pushing Rafa, not the players. Let's not get carried away and become too deluded!:worship: ROASTED!

Del Potro getting roasted by Murray? I believe hes a set up right now:worship:

Well if its the altitude thats pushing rafa then shouldnt it be pushing other players aswell equally?

groundstroke
Are you sure Muzza is next?

Sunset of Age
05-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Important win for Rafa on an off day! Next Muzza and then serve Federer bagels in the final!

Apparently you are too daft to even read the draw properly. No problem, keep on trying, one day you'll manage.

Voo de Mar
05-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Better than Pernfors and Berasategui :spit:

El Vasco at the age of Verdasco had 14 titles won . Pernfors way more talented than your ballbasher hero

I meant they had been surprising finalists, Berasategui won only 2 titles before reached RG final, Pernfors none. I like Verdasco a lot but he isn't my hero, no-one is.

Myrre
05-15-2009, 11:00 PM
Verdamto!

Arkulari
05-15-2009, 11:06 PM
I think the guy who counted those UEs was the same fellow who thought Bolelli hit some 50+ of those in that match against Muzza, to be honest. :shrug:

of course Karin :hug:

the usual ATP dude who's the source of many of our "bad, wrong or funny tennisheadlines"? :lol:

Rafattack
05-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Are you sure Muzza is next?
Quite sure - he's on now against JMDP you mug!

Rafattack
05-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Apparently you are too daft to even read the draw properly. No problem, keep on trying, one day you'll manage.
:)I'm on about Muzza's match against JMDP you mug!

Sapeod
05-15-2009, 11:17 PM
this is how the story goes..

*i come back home and turn the T.V set on, there must be some tennis.
*nadull vs nando and it's 6-4, "oh he must have choked the first i think to myself"
*who i'm i kidding and go to my laptop but before you know it nando is roasting his pumped ass.
*nando up 3-0 in the 2nd set and the president of the tournament(stupid biased fanboy!) looks like he been shot. 4-0 for a second you think it will a roasting day,i joke to myself he will choke it anyways, the fanboys and girls screaming when dull loses a game but he always win is so ZzZzZz.
*dull wins a game then another, you can see the the obvious about the happen.
*4-4, nando going crazy, i am almost falling asleep at this point knowing what ever happens,4-5 now and nadull has match points..
*nando aces and goes duece, corrupted toni says in spanish" hijo de #$##@, translation:son of a $%$.(greedy bastard)
*next game nando makes errors all over and says hijo de...:p
*i finally fall asleep knowing it will end 5-7.
*woke up, game over and.. same shit new year..

never in doubt!
Story of ATP Clay season :o

oranges
05-15-2009, 11:17 PM

That explains how it would be possible for Nadal to play both Muzza and Federer in Madrid :o

Sunset of Age
05-15-2009, 11:32 PM
That explains how it would be possible for Nadal to play both Muzza and Federer in Madrid :o

I decided not to even comment on that remark... :haha: :haha: :haha:

Titi
05-16-2009, 12:15 AM
That drop from Nadal at 5-5 in the second was incredible!

Overall, he was well below par but still pretty comfortably won.Scary prospect for the rest.

Nando played some great stuff but like the rest, keeping that level over a 3 set match is near impossible

FlameOn
05-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Nando. :hug:

At least it's another quarterfinal. To the people still saying that Australian Open was a fluke for Nando, where do you think the consistent results have come from? :rolleyes:

He pushed Djokovic to three, Nadal to a close match today. He seems to be finding ways to play the top players. He just needs to take that extra step and beat them.

I don't think Nando and Rafa are actually buddies. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't even like each other. Their handshakes are usually very cold. They only hugged like that at AO because of the drama the match was.

FedFan_2007
05-16-2009, 12:40 AM
Nadal is an animal - he never loses on clay!

philosophicalarf
05-16-2009, 12:41 AM
Nadal, down 4 in the second set and pulling it out 7-5. So much for the problem of Madrid's altitude. :devil:

It was actually a pretty serious issue for him - the thing he's been complaining about is the bounce height and speed off the court here, and today showed why (I thought he was just moaning cos he's conservative, but it does seem to affect his game after all). He was mis-hitting a lot of really basic ones today, especially those high on the backhand.

FlameOn
05-16-2009, 12:51 AM
Did Uncle Toni really say 'greedy bastard' 'cause Nando saved MP with an ace? What a prick...:rolleyes:

Corey Feldman
05-16-2009, 12:58 AM
Did Uncle Toni really say 'greedy bastard' 'cause Nando saved MP with an ace? What a prick...:rolleyes:i dont get it

superslam77
05-16-2009, 01:02 AM
Did Uncle Toni really say 'greedy bastard' 'cause Nando saved MP with an ace? What a prick...:rolleyes:

no....he said:hijo de put@ meaning s0n of a b\tch(i said greedy bastard to him :P)

and next game nando said the same when me he made errors.

hope it's clear now.

FlameOn
05-16-2009, 01:04 AM
no....he said:hijo de put@ meaning s0n of a b\tch(i said greedy bastard to him :P)

and next game nando said the same when me he made errors.

hope it's clear now.
Same thing then. Still a prick thing to say.

Corey Feldman
05-16-2009, 01:05 AM
Nadal and his entire camp are unpleasant types who are never happy unless the court is suited for him and the titles are in the bag

nothing new here

FlameOn
05-16-2009, 01:11 AM
Nadal and his entire camp are unpleasant types who are never happy unless the court is suited for him and the titles are in the bag

nothing new here
I disagree about Nadal. I'm not an Uncle Toni fan though. :D

Horatius
05-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Spanish people and portuguese people (like my self) say son of the bit** all the time. It's the most usual swearing really. Its not as offensive as in english because of the use of it. Toni wasn't calling Verdasco a son of, he was just releasing some steam.

FlameOn
05-16-2009, 01:20 AM
Spanish people and portuguese people (like my self) say son of the bit** all the time. It's the most usual swearing really. Its not as offensive as in english because of the use of it. Toni wasn't calling Verdasco a son of, he was just releasing some steam.
Oh well I don't know enough about Spanish culture really. Maybe I got it wrong. Is it just like English-speakers saying 'dammit'?

superslam77
05-16-2009, 01:20 AM

add italian or any latin language to that as well, but still that could be 50% the case and you know it.

superslam77
05-16-2009, 01:22 AM
Oh well I don't know enough about Spanish culture really. Maybe I got it wrong. Is it just like English-speakers saying 'dammit'?

for dammit...

spanish: coñ0(vagina)
italian: cazz0(penis)
portuguese: p0rra( semen i think)

lol or could use shit..or son of a... really.

Horatius
05-16-2009, 01:26 AM
I don't think Italians say son of with much frequency as us. Nadal says puta (whore) to ball all the time, but it means nothing except the release of steam, its not ugly like in english. Btw "porra" doesnt mean nothing,its just an interjection.

Bad Religion
05-16-2009, 01:28 AM
In some coutries like Argentina and Uruguay , Hijo de Puta is a compliment

superslam77
05-16-2009, 01:29 AM
I don't think Italians say son of with much frequency as us. Nadal says puta (whore) to ball all the time, but it means nothing except the release of steam, its not ugly like in english. Btw "porra" doesnt mean nothing,its just an interjection.

oh thx i don't know much portuguese but i know spanish..even more than Italian*i live in Dominican Republic.

finishingmove
05-16-2009, 01:31 AM
what about chile?

superslam77
05-16-2009, 01:32 AM
In some coutries like Argentina and Uruguay , Hijo de Puta is a compliment

never heard that one before and i have argentine friends..what i heard them say for compliments are:sos capo, piola,groso and grande...but all these are nearly italian lol.

maybe an argentine here can say.

superslam77
05-16-2009, 01:33 AM
what about chile?

chile is the hot sauce for mexican taco's :lol:

don't know chileans that's far from where i live.

HeretiC
05-16-2009, 01:34 AM
Quite sure - he's on now against JMDP you mug!

:haha:

Yes, he did. First he applauded to Verdasco when he won the second MP and then he said it. :lol:

Har-Tru
05-16-2009, 01:34 AM
that "hijo de puta" by Uncle Toni was a compliment. as someone already said, this kind of insults can (and are) very commonly used with an ironic meaning, as this was clearly the case.

I do it all the time when I play tennis with my friends. If my opponent saves a MP with an ace, I'll most certainly go "serás hijo de puta..." (you son of a b*tch...) or something like that.

HeretiC
05-16-2009, 01:38 AM
I wonder if prison guards allowed i-mac, ruanz and kingfederer to watch the matches.:scratch:

superslam77
05-16-2009, 01:42 AM
I wonder if prison guards allowed i-mac, ruanz and kingfederer to watch the matches.:scratch:

ruanz is cool though, he is great for "the cause" :rocker2:

HeretiC
05-16-2009, 01:56 AM

ruanz is cool though, he is great for "the cause" :rocker2:

Nah, they are all the same there. :shrug:

http://img.printfection.com/14/107675/veFwz.jpg

Arkulari
05-16-2009, 01:58 AM
that "hijo de puta" by Uncle Toni was a compliment. as someone already said, this kind of insults can (and are) very commonly used with an ironic meaning, as this was clearly the case.

I do it all the time when I play tennis with my friends. If my opponent saves a MP with an ace, I'll most certainly go "serás hijo de puta..." (you son of a b*tch...) or something like that.

yeah or "que cabrón" (like "what a sick mofo") :lol:

sawan66278
05-16-2009, 02:00 AM
I read somewhere that Rafa and Verdasco are not close friends, but both are close to Feliciano Lopez. Verdasco's playboy lifestyle seems to be in direct contrast to Rafa's. And the cold handshake was obvious.

Anyone know the history...I'm sure jealousy on the part of Verdasco is part of this.

GlennMirnyi
05-16-2009, 02:03 AM
Verdasco = fluke of the year.

Har-Tru
05-16-2009, 02:03 AM
yeah or "que cabrón" (like "what a sick mofo") :lol:

sure but that's even softer to start with. but let's stop with the spanish swear words here or this will get really messy. :lol:

FlameOn
05-16-2009, 02:04 AM
I was probably too hard on Uncle Toni then. :)

Anyway, Nando's victory over Monaco was his 23rd match win of the season. Seriously, how long would it have taken in previous years for Nando to notch up 23 wins? Donkeys ages. It just shows the improvement he's made.

He's starting to give the Top 4 players fits which he's probably still getting used to. He just needs to take that extra step.

shotgun
05-16-2009, 02:07 AM
Btw "porra" doesnt mean nothing,its just an interjection.

In Portugal it doesn't? Because in Brazil it is a slang for semen.

Arkulari
05-16-2009, 02:08 AM
sure but that's even softer to start with. but let's stop with the spanish swear words here or this will get really messy. :lol:

hell yeah, it can totally get messy and we don't want to appear like canis, do we? :o :lol: :wavey:

the Armada boys are quite close, but Feli is like the glue that keeps them together, he's friends with all of them ;)

MacTheKnife
05-16-2009, 02:09 AM
The Verdasco bandwagon takes a detour through chokeville.

brent-o
05-16-2009, 02:10 AM

nothing new here

Replace with 'Djokovic' and I think we have a winning statement

vamosinator
05-16-2009, 03:01 AM
This will go down as the most important match in the Nadal-Verdasco rivalry, thats right more important than the Aus Open. Because Verdasco lead 4-0 and Nadal reeled off 5 straight games. Very big psychological killer blow.

luvrafa
05-16-2009, 03:05 AM

nothing new here

You can't really be serious.

meihaditalab
05-16-2009, 03:50 AM
Rafa is just too dominant on clay, nothing can be done about it

w78dexon_y
05-16-2009, 06:22 AM
This will go down as the most important match in the Nadal-Verdasco rivalry, thats right more important than the Aus Open. Because Verdasco lead 4-0 and Nadal reeled off 5 straight games. Very big psychological killer blow.

yeah and that all against Verdasco!! Huge deal! And that because Nando didn't know that a set lasts for more than 4 games!!?

The Pro
05-16-2009, 10:19 AM
lol ^

Horatius
05-16-2009, 12:28 PM
In Portugal it doesn't? Because in Brazil it is a slang for semen.

In Portugal you can say semen with the slang word "esporra" from "esporrar"(to cum).

PiggyGotRoasted
05-16-2009, 12:39 PM
yeah and that all against Verdasco!! Huge deal! And that because Nando didn't know that a set lasts for more than 4 games!!?

He thought they were playing short sets

Merton
05-16-2009, 03:25 PM
A huge missed opportunity for Nando, Rafa was ripe for the taking yesterday.

iSzavay.
05-16-2009, 05:01 PM
I can't believe Nando led 4-0 in the second and lost :help:.

vamosinator
05-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Nando is a mess, and I thought the Gil/Agassi influence would help him but he is freakishly inconsistent. I guess he only spent Christmas with Gil/Agassi so not enough time to change him completely.