Madrid R3: Federer defeats Blake 6-2 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Madrid R3: Federer defeats Blake 6-2 6-4

groundstroke
05-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Clay-god Blake wasn't at his best today. Blake was playing in hard-court mode through out the whole match.

Allegretto
05-14-2009, 01:27 PM
First set was 6-2.

groundstroke
Thank you, I have fixed the mistake.

What did you think of the match?

martinatreue
6-2... Blake's attitude was disgusting. Never tried to put an ounce of spin on any forehands. :rolleyes:

miura
05-14-2009, 01:28 PM
A bit low on the first serve but overall a good performance by Roger. Kolya or Duck next.

Jaz
Anyone noticed that Roger's backhand return is now going in way deeper.

Serve has improved in terms of aces, but still in the low 50's.

MacTheKnife
Routine as expected. Blake has simply lost his fighting spirit.

FedererSlam
05-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Good performance from Rog as usual this tells nothing of his form due to his volatility these days.

Blake bent over way too easily this was the most routine match I've ever seen.

HeretiC
Expected tank.

biological
:woohoo: nicely done champion

finishingmove
i think they both sucked.

martinatreue
Federer played OK considering the style of play that James was using. It's nearly impossible to get any rhythm when the average rally length is four shots and the guy is going for broke on everything.

Goget
05-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Stats :

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/2369/fedbla.jpg

Byrd
05-14-2009, 01:30 PM
When's the last time Tarantino had 75% on BPs converted?, seems a while.

HarryMan
05-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Keep going Fed. The winner of the Federer-Murray semi final should definitely win this title. :D

Sunset of Age
Some moments of brilliant tennis from Rodge, but still not up to his best level. Still a low first serve-%, and some worrisome shanks from his FH as well.

Pleased with this result of course, but Blake was ... in full FLAKE mode :o.
So, still difficult to prospect how Roger will do against the real deal (fill in possible candidates here :angel:).

Congrats Roger, keep it going! :yeah:

nanoman
Lol, Blake who looks fat btw doesn't even try.

BaselineSmash
05-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Fed's on-court interview with Skysports:

"Then again, Rafa's been so dominant on clay these past years that you have to put together your best game at Roland Garros to be able to beat him."

I wonder if he's suffering from selective amnesia.

FlameOn
05-14-2009, 01:32 PM
I think the livescore froze when Roger was up 40-0 in the last game. Anyway, whatever. Remind me how did Blake beat him at the Olympics anyway?

groundstroke
05-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Some moments of brilliant tennis from Rodge, but still not up to his best level. Still a low first serve-%, and some worrisome shanks from his FH as well.

Pleased with this result of course, but Blake was ... in full FLAKE mode :o.
So, still difficult to prospect how Roger will do against the real deal (fill in possible candidates here :angel:).

Congrats Roger, keep it going! :yeah:

Duck in the quarters should be a routine win, against Murray.... that'll be difficult.

Voo de Mar
05-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Pathetic Blake strikes back. I don't understand how after so many years on the tour he can be such a headcase, I mean first game of the 2nd set when he thought had won the game but Federer questioned (correctly) the serve, and after that Blake made 2 double faults and simple forehand error. Blake from break down at the beginning of the set is actually finished with his inability to fight.

Pfloyd
05-14-2009, 01:35 PM
I shouldn't have polled for this match. Too easy for Fed, helped in part by a mediocre Blake.

HarryMan
05-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Btw, if Fed plays like this in the semi's against Murray, Muzza will school him.

Sunset of Age
05-14-2009, 01:37 PM

"Then again, Rafa's been so dominant on clay these past years that you have to put together your best game at Roland Garros to be able to beat him."

What the HELL is wrong with that statement? :scratch:

Duck in the quarters should be a routine win, against Murray.... that'll be difficult.

Well I don't know. These days anyone with a good day might be able to win against Roger if he starts losing his concentration again - perhaps even Roddick. I don't think Murray has been very impressive so far, but we all know what happened in the matches between those two the past occasions... :o

groundstroke
05-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Pathetic Blake strikes back. I don't understand how after so many years on the tour he can be such a headcase, I mean first game of the 2nd set when he thought had won the game but Federer questioned (correctly) the serve, and after that Blake made 2 double faults and simple forehand error. Blake from break down at the beginning of the set is actually finished with his inability to fight.

It's as if you expected Blake to actually try and win more than 2 points in a row on clay? Impossible! He was on his biggest "flake" day, just bashing every shot as hard as he can. No tactics at all.

Fed Express
05-14-2009, 01:38 PM

What are you talking about....:rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with what he says here. :wavey:

justsumma
05-14-2009, 01:41 PM
I think the livescore froze when Roger was up 40-0 in the last game. Anyway, whatever. Remind me how did Blake beat him at the Olympics anyway? Fed was beyond fucking miserable

iSzavay.
05-14-2009, 01:44 PM
James :rolleyes:.

r3d_d3v1l_
05-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Crappy quality match. Fed was in traning mode and Blake in what the hell i´m doing here mode.

Gotta wait until the semi-final to see what Fed can really do.

heya
05-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Not unusual for Blake's friends to shove a stick up their own buttocks like he does versus Fedler.

Fumus
05-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Unexpected result huugge upset.

martinatreue
05-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Not unusual for Blake's friends to shove a stick up their own buttocks like he does versus Fedler.

This statement makes no sense. :rolleyes: Besides, prostate massages are great for a man's health. :worship:

sammy01
05-14-2009, 01:57 PM
man i hate watching blake, the sooner he slips down the rankings the better.

the match was horrible due to the sense of inevitability of it from the begining, blake was going to win 5 or 6 games on serve and take his money urghhhh.

have no idea what feds forms like because he really didn't have to do much.

eck
05-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Absolutely disgraceful from Flake. :yeah:

freeandlonely
05-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Can it be not that routine next time they meet?
Blake and Roddick are one-dimensional players, but at least Roddick tries to change somthing, despite result may be the same.
Again, Blake lost before the match started.

Good luck next round, Roger.

BaselineSmash
05-14-2009, 02:02 PM

BaselineSmash
05-14-2009, 02:06 PM
What the HELL is wrong with that statement? :scratch:

Fed's best wasn't good enough in 2005. Fed's best wasn't good enough in 2006. Fed's best wasn't good enough in 2007. monoFed's best wasn't good enough in 2008. Why in HELL would it be good enough in 2009?

Sunset of Age
05-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Fed's best wasn't good enough in 2005. Fed's best wasn't good enough in 2006. Fed's best wasn't good enough in 2007. monoFed's best wasn't good enough in 2008. Why in HELL would it be good enough in 2009?

Did he say that, then? NO.
He only commented that IF one is to beat Rafa at RG, that player must play his best tennis ever. Which in fact is a compliment to Raf.

Fed Express
05-14-2009, 02:10 PM

Man, you are not the smartest on the planet ey. :D

Try to find something else about Federer to hate him.

FlameOn
05-14-2009, 02:11 PM
:worship:

BaselineSmash
05-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Did he say that, then? NO.
He only commented that IF one is to beat Rafa at RG, that player must play his best tennis ever. Which in fact is a compliment to Raf.

He didn't say "best ever", he meant best form i.e. a level that is realistic for him. He himself conceded after RG last year that with Rafa in the draw he wasn't going to win it in future. But now he's suggesting that he has it in him to beat Nadal if he puts in a top performance. NO. What he should have said is that Nadal should put his worst game together for RG, then he (Roger) MIGHT win.

Federer should save this optimism for Wimby, USO, or AO, where he'll be perfectly justified to think his "best game" will be enough. At RG? :sad:

habibko
05-14-2009, 02:19 PM
too easy for Fed, didn't even need the 2nd gear, actually he played on 1/2 gear lol, he didn't even bother to go for huge first serves in the second set as Blake bashed everything to the net.

Glenn, not Agassi or Davydenko, THIS is ballbashing.

BaselineSmash
05-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Man, you are not the smartest on the planet ey. :D

Try to find something else about Federer to hate him.

:confused:

Fed's one of my favourite players of all time, but unlike many posters I don't equate game with personality. If he says something amiss in interviews, I'll criticise him for it. That does NOT affect how I enjoy his tennis. Some people reckon that they must love/revere/like the individual to enjoy their play -I'm not one of those. It annoys me that Fed's making out he has it in him to beat Nadal at RG -it is not going to happen. I've had to endure three arduous, awful RG finals in a row because Fed's not good enough to match Nadal in Paris. That should aggravate any tennis fan, regardless of who they support -sports are supposed to entertain, not stultify.

Negative posts needn't mean outright hate for a player, but I'll give you a break given you're obviously not the smartest person on your street.

prima donna
05-14-2009, 04:12 PM
It annoys me that Fed's making out he has it in him to beat Nadal at RG.
This statement serves as a perfect illustration as to why you're a mere spectator, as opposed to a 13-time Grand Slam champion with a net worth that increases by the minute.

marcRD
05-14-2009, 04:16 PM
:confused:

Fed's one of my favourite players of all time, but unlike many posters I don't equate game with personality. If he says something amiss in interviews, I'll criticise him for it. That does NOT affect how I enjoy his tennis. Some people reckon that they must love/revere/like the individual to enjoy their play -I'm not one of those. It annoys me that Fed's making out he has it in him to beat Nadal at RG -it is not going to happen. I've had to endure three arduous, awful RG finals in a row because Fed's not good enough to match Nadal in Paris. That should aggravate any tennis fan, regardless of who they support -sports are supposed to entertain, not stultify.

Negative posts needn't mean outright hate for a player, but I'll give you a break given you're obviously not the smartest person on your street.

Well, a fan of Federer maybe would be dillusional to think Federer can beat Nadal in RG but Federer would be wrong to not belive it. He is a player and his believing or not believing has a direct impact on his result against Nadal. So if he would not belive he would have 0% shot at defeating Nadal, now maybe he got 1 in 200 odds because he belives he can beat Nadal.

pica_pica
05-14-2009, 04:20 PM
This is just another Djoko-Seppi. Both looked listless and uninterested playing the other :shrug:

rofe
05-14-2009, 04:22 PM
With his current form, Fed might very well have the same scoreline against Nadal like last year (if he manages to get to the final) but he has to believe that he can win. Why even show up if you can't believe that you can win? If he believes, he will at least have the motivation to practice as hard as he can and try to give it his best shot.

Commander Data
05-14-2009, 04:28 PM

spot on! rafa is beatable, everybody is beatable. Thats the beauty of it. Question is, what does it need? and Fed gives the answer. You have to play a perfect match, your best game, to do it. who could do it? The best, Fed and Djokovic maybe Murray. Fed has taken sets from rafa 6:1 at RG, he had MP in best of 5 in Rom. his best can compete with Nadal. Problem is he never could bring his best for a full match against Rafa. can he do it 2009? probably not. But his comment is spot on. You have to bring your absolut best if you wanna beat him.

whats the alternative? should he say, Nadal is unbeatable? That would be the stupidest comment ever, since it is wrong. plus, no number no.2 will ever say, that the no. 1 is unbeatable. that would be the ultimate loser-comment.

Bottom-line: You are a hater or a retard.

Foxy
05-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Watched a little bit at work. But my brain started to hurt and closed the livestream. Now I will have that stupid headache the whole evening. Darn.

Commander Data
05-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Watched a little bit at work. But my brain started to hurt and closed the livestream. Now I will have that stupid headache the whole evening. Darn.

I think the error is in your head not the livestream ;)

new-york
05-14-2009, 04:45 PM
i thought James would give a bit more.

BaselineSmash
05-14-2009, 05:23 PM
spot on! rafa is beatable, everybody is beatable. Thats the beauty of it. Question is, what does it need? and Fed gives the answer. You have to play a perfect match, your best game, to do it. who could do it? The best, Fed and Djokovic maybe Murray. Fed has taken sets from rafa 6:1 at RG, he had MP in best of 5 in Rom. his best can compete with Nadal. Problem is he never could bring his best for a full match against Rafa. can he do it 2009? probably not. But his comment is spot on. You have to bring your absolut best if you wanna beat him.

whats the alternative? should he say, Nadal is unbeatable? That would be the stupidest comment ever, since it is wrong. plus, no number no.2 will ever say, that the no. 1 is unbeatable. that would be the ultimate loser-comment.

Bottom-line: You are a hater or a retard.

Ease up on the name-calling; such bitterness can't be good for your blood pressure. Try meditation or something.

Commander Data
05-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Ease up on the name-calling; such bitterness can't be good for your blood pressure. Try meditation or something.

:hug: my blood pressure is as low as it can be, but thanks for the care.

BaselineSmash
05-14-2009, 05:30 PM
Well, a fan of Federer maybe would be dillusional to think Federer can beat Nadal in RG but Federer would be wrong to not belive it. He is a player and his believing or not believing has a direct impact on his result against Nadal. So if he would not belive he would have 0% shot at defeating Nadal, now maybe he got 1 in 200 odds because he belives he can beat Nadal.

Agreed. But that doesn't make it any less annoying to hear him go on about his chances for beating Nadal in the media. The thing is, he did state after RG '08 that he thought his opportunity of winning the French Open was limited to Nadal's absence from the draw. But well, now he's reversing on that statement and trying to big up his chances. He has never entertained in a RG final (i.e. pushed Nadal close enough), which makes this all the more annoying.

BaselineSmash
05-14-2009, 05:32 PM
:hug: my blood pressure is as low as it can be, but thanks for the care.

You Swiss do tend to enjoy a better quality of life than most in Europe, even if that is a stereotype.

BaselineSmash
05-14-2009, 05:35 PM
This statement serves as a perfect illustration as to why you're a mere spectator, as opposed to a 13-time Grand Slam champion with a net worth that increases by the minute.

Even Fed doesn't believe he can do it; he's bluffing. And your post is quite revealing. Spectatorship is just a 'mere' thing, which suggests it couldn't possibly be a fulfilling experience, and money is the profoundest measure of quality of life. Interesting.

Commander Data
05-14-2009, 05:38 PM
You Swiss do tend to enjoy a better quality of life than most in Europe, even if that is a stereotype.

Is that a compliment or a critique :confused:

BaselineSmash
05-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Is that a compliment or a critique :confused:

Neither. Just an observation.

From what I've seen (Geneva, Bern, Basel), Switzerland's infrastructure is better than average, and the country often comes top-rated in studies of standard of living in Europe.

TennisViewer531
05-14-2009, 05:43 PM
It thought it was going to be a three-set match. I guess Blake's too tired or intimidated (?)

Commander Data
05-14-2009, 05:46 PM

From what I've seen (Geneva, Bern, Basel), Switzerland's infrastructure is better than average, and the country often comes top-rated in studies of standard of living in Europe.

i think so too...why do you mention this?

BaselineSmash
05-14-2009, 05:48 PM
i think so too...why do you mention this?

High standard of living=higher life expectancy=healthier populace=healthy blood pressure.

morningglory
05-14-2009, 05:52 PM
duhhhhhhhh Blake sucks

Commander Data
05-14-2009, 05:53 PM
High standard of living=higher life expectancy=healthier populace=healthy blood pressure.

true :bounce: now I go jogging to even lower it further :p

how is your blood pressure doing? Hope it is not too elevated because of him :angel:

MrChopin
05-14-2009, 07:39 PM
I think every Fed result thread for a victorious match should have two posts immediately appended at the beginning of the thread.

First post: the "But we don't know how well he is doing" or "this was no test" or "Wait until he faces X" (where X is whoever's bandwagon is currently the most wildly out of control).

Second post: the "Fed is arrogant, logic flawed, interview dissection with the following examples: '...'" post.

If these two opinions were posted by a designated user in only one post for each opinion, Fed victory threads would drop 95% in size.

FedFan_2007
05-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Decent result, but it was Flake.

Sunset of Age
05-14-2009, 07:49 PM
I think every Fed result thread for a victorious match should have two posts immediately appended at the beginning of the thread.

First post: the "But we don't know how well he is doing" or "this was no test" or "Wait until he faces X" (where X is whoever's bandwagon is currently the most wildly out of control).

What's wrong with stating such if that was indeed the case? :shrug:
I would have loved to post "Roger was in Jesus!Fed mode today, yayyy!!!", but as Blake was just absymal today, I can't.

Federerhingis
05-14-2009, 08:05 PM
They do, Lucerne is beautiful. On the other hand Switzerland is one of the most expensive places to travel to in Europe. I guess there's always a higher cost of living for a higher quality of life.

Correct I would add Lucerne and Lausanne of the few cantons I do know.

By the way I do kind of agree with you on the Federer just bluffing when he says he believes he can beat Nadal on clay more specifically @Roland. Unless he's hoping and expecting to really improve his form by Roland and for Nadals form to drastically and surprisingly drop; whereby Nadal is caught by surprise by an inspired Roger in the scenario that they both get to meet at Roland. ;)

Vida
05-14-2009, 08:38 PM
this must have been a classic. two best buddies - ever, meeting under the sun. pity the beach wasn't near.

Commander Data
05-14-2009, 08:57 PM
this must have been a classic. two best buddies - ever, meeting under the sun. pity the beach wasn't near.

:haha:

PiggyGotRoasted
05-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Blakes moonballs were no match for Federer's ball bashing.

Guy Haines
05-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Beating Blake on clay :eek: -- how does this Federer do it?

Sunset of Age
05-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Beating Blake on clay :eek: -- how does this Federer do it?

Well in all honesty, he didn't have all too much to do with it. :angel:

iSzavay.
05-14-2009, 11:36 PM
James :sad:.

luie
05-14-2009, 11:40 PM
So nadal,roddick & federer all got walk-overs.