Clay God Murray Beats Robredo 7-5 6-1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Clay God Murray Beats Robredo 7-5 6-1

Byrd
05-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Nice win, but could of been easier if he had taken his opportunities in the 1st set.

Andi-M
05-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Excellent agressive play from Murray. His retrun of serves had more bite than Ive ever seen on clay!
I think this Madrid surface is perfect for Murray. 8/10. :D

Action Jackson
05-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Clay god bandwagon back on track after a derailment.

He'd love the next match to be against Del Mercenary and not Wawrinka.

l_mac
05-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Marcus Buckland :worship: thinks he has stepped up a level compared to everyone else :D

Vamos Andy :rocker2:

Clydey
05-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Good performance. Robredo is a good clay courter and Murray took him out pretty easily. Hopefully he doesn't get Stan in the next round.

Sunset of Age
Nice try in that first set, Boredo. :hug:

Congrats Muzza. Great second set, first... meh. Couldn't covert BPs to save his life. But overall, good performance. :hatoff:

Jōris
The Betfair commentator pronounced Robredo's name as Rrrobrrreedo. Twat.

Good win.

rocketassist
05-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Thought you didn't like Buckland Linda? :)

Good win. Boredo being his usual ****ish self in the second set questioning a mark after having a BH winner fly past him.

McAlistar
05-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Pretty good performance, in awful conditions, should have been easier in the first set but once he got ahead he destroyed Robredo.

Byrd
05-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Good performance. Robredo is a good clay courter and Murray took him out pretty easily. Hopefully he doesn't get Stan in the next round.

It would probably be good for Muzza to play Wawrinka, at least he can test himself even if he wins or loses.

Voo de Mar
05-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Murray did what should - avoided the tie-break against TB master '09.

Betty
05-14-2009, 01:10 PM
he killed the bored!

well done..well play..and thk tommy for the help in the second set:devil:

philosophicalarf
Boredo just has nothing to trouble Murray really. Bolelli went all out attack, Fognini too for half a set, and Monaco was pretty penetrating too.

Not sure which is an easier opponent next: Del Potro has been tricky for him on hard, Wawrinka he really steamrollered last US Open. However, DelPot has no serve today at all (39%!), even though he's probably going to beat Wawa (1-1 on serve as I post).

Andi-M

Good win.

:lol: That was annoying me too.

l_mac
Thought you didn't like Buckland Linda? :)

I don't. He has no business presenting Sky's tennis coverage :)

Betty
Murray did what should - .

why did more?:angel:;)

orangehat
05-14-2009, 01:11 PM
wawa sucks against kick serves (murray). Murray would probably love a wawa match

Andi-M
05-14-2009, 01:11 PM

Marcus has improved alot I think he's OK now, but I still preferred the sarcaatic style of Chris Bailey.

alansk
05-14-2009, 01:12 PM

Good win.

"Next up we've got former world no.1, Rrrrrroger Federer"

Action Jackson
05-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Not sure which is an easier opponent next: Del Potro has been tricky for him on hard, Wawrinka he really steamrollered last US Open. However, DelPot has no serve today at all (39%!), even though he's probably going to beat Wawa (1-1 on serve as I post).

It's not that hard, del Potro is easier for Murray to play.

Byrd
05-14-2009, 01:13 PM
George is right, Wawrinka's style of play causes Murray's alot of problems compared to Del Potro's who is perfect for him.

rocketassist
05-14-2009, 01:14 PM

Is it because of the Serbinator nickname? :)

Corey Feldman
another win on clay for the number 3 and more pain for the hata's

good day :yeah:

l_mac
Marcus has improved alot I think he's OK now, but I still preferred the sarcaatic style of Chris Bailey.

Please don't mention him in the same sentence as Chris Bailey. He is not worthy :sobbing:

Has he improved? He seems to know as little about tennis as he ever did.

finishingmove
05-14-2009, 01:16 PM
expected win for the haggis

l_mac
05-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Is it because of the Serbinator nickname? :)

That doesn't help.

l_mac
05-14-2009, 01:23 PM
expected win for the haggis
I will start calling Nole "war criminal" as that is what his country is most famous for.

finishingmove
05-14-2009, 01:30 PM
I will start calling Nole "war criminal" as that is what his country is most famous for.

maybe abroad.

philosophicalarf
05-14-2009, 01:31 PM
George is right, Wawrinka's style of play causes Murray's alot of problems compared to Del Potro's who is perfect for him.

Not at the US Open:

US Open vs Del Potro: 7-6(2) 7-6(1) 4-6 7-5
US Open vs Wawrinka: 6-1 6-3 6-3

Also the set DelPot took off him in Miami. Partly due to Murray taking his foot off the gas, but still.

Yeah, Wawa beat him twice when Murray was very young, but it's the current generation Murray (post-Cincinatti) that really matters - he's a completely different player since.

Course, if Potro serves like he is today he's screwed. Horrible.

l_mac
05-14-2009, 01:31 PM
maybe abroad.

You see what I'm saying.

l_mac
05-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Not at the US Open:

US Open vs Wawrinka: 6-1 6-3 6-3

Someone has to explain to you the difference in surfaces?

finishingmove
05-14-2009, 01:35 PM
You see what I'm saying.

i understand if you don't like haggis.

i don't like war criminals either...

Florida
05-14-2009, 01:35 PM
I_MAC this thread is not about Nole and his country!!!! Back to the subject.... It was a boring affair between two "moonballers". Of course expected win form the new #3. So far he is living up to the expectations, but thhose expectations are huge, going further..... Murray will continue on analyzing the play of his opponents and find ways how to make them produce unforced errors. That is his weapon and game plan and let's hope nobody figures it out?!

Action Jackson
05-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Yeah, Wawa beat him twice when Murray was very young, but it's the current generation Murray (post-Cincinatti) that really matters - he's a completely different player since.

Murray loves playing del Potro, the pace of shot and the height of the ball works perfectly into Murray's hitting zone.

Wawrinka's best surface clay and it's Murray's worst. Wawrinka's game poses more challenges than del Potro's.

finishingmove
05-14-2009, 01:38 PM
robredo is not a moonballer

philosophicalarf
05-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Someone has to explain to you the difference in surfaces?

No. They also don't have to explain to me it's easier to hold serve (21% average) in Madrid than at the US Open (21.8%).

The failure of most people to realise there's not much difference between fast altitude clay and mid paced hard court are the reason I've made over 8 grand from Munich and Madrid.

Corey Feldman
05-14-2009, 01:40 PM
go to the semis Thomas Muzzter

Iván
05-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Robredo doesnt have the next level in his arsenal.

Action Jackson
05-14-2009, 01:44 PM
go to the semis Thomas Muzzter

:worship:

Action Jackson
05-14-2009, 01:46 PM
No. They also don't have to explain to me it's easier to hold serve (21% average) in Madrid than at the US Open (21.8%).

The failure of most people to realise there's not much difference between fast altitude clay and mid paced hard court are the reason I've made over 8 grand from Munich and Madrid.

No, you are just over reliant on stats.

Byrd
05-14-2009, 01:47 PM

US open is the fastest outdoor hardcourt along with cincinatti, the court plays no where near like Madrid. The fact your trying to use this as an argument to prove Del Potro as a harder match-up than Stan on clay is quite funny.

Florida
05-14-2009, 01:48 PM

True, I was just being diplomatic and polite! Did not want to label one without labeling the other> Robredo is not a moonballer, but he is a heavy duty choker!:wavey:

philosophicalarf
05-14-2009, 01:49 PM
No, you are just over reliant on stats.

*shrug* It works.

For example, I knew this morning that Del Potro wins 85% of matches between odds 1.55 and 1.65. Tells you something pretty stunning about his psychology given the relative status of his opponent. Partly because of that, I was convinced he would win today (and you can see me posting as much in Betfair forums even when he was double bp down in the 3rd).

Many people mock a statistical approach to tennis betting, but then it's easy to make claims without any objective backup.

philosophicalarf
05-14-2009, 01:52 PM
US open is the fastest outdoor hardcourt along with cincinatti....

Wrong. I have the ATP's own measurements, Cincinatti is considerably faster than the US Open. Break statistics and so on back that up.

leng jai
05-14-2009, 01:52 PM

Yeah, whats the next step up from moonballing height wise?

Action Jackson
05-14-2009, 01:55 PM
*shrug* It works.

For example, I knew this morning that Del Potro wins 85% of matches between odds 1.55 and 1.65. Tells you something pretty stunning about his psychology given the relative status of his opponent. Partly because of that, I was convinced he would win today (and you can see me posting as much in Betfair forums even when he was double bp down in the 3rd).

Many people mock a statistical approach to tennis betting, but then it's easy to make claims without any objective backup.

If that was the case, then no lower ranked player would never beat a player ranked above them.

Considering you are relying on a bunch of numbers and not looking at all, how Murray matches up with either del Potro or Wawrinka. There are certain things that can't and won't be measured by raw data.

Watching how the players match up and looking at them on the respective surface, which either favours or negates their strengths, makes more sense. How do you think bookies make their odds, just by closing their eyes.

BaselineSmash
05-14-2009, 01:58 PM
He'd love the next match to be against Del Mercenary and not Wawrinka.

So Del Potro was just mourning all those lost dollars when he cried after every other defeat last year?

Action Jackson
05-14-2009, 02:03 PM
So Del Potro was just mourning all those lost dollars when he cried after every other defeat last year?

The del Mercenary was playing the TMC while he was injured, then flying to Argentina and losing to LaLo, and then balling his eyes out.

As for the tears, if they play tomorrow, then there is a good chance he will shed tears.

alansk
05-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Murray will get killed by either of them. Put your house on it ;)

philosophicalarf
05-14-2009, 02:06 PM
If that was the case, then no lower ranked player would never beat a player ranked above them.

Sorry, but that's not even remotely how it works. The betting industry exists fundamentally because there's a high degree of unknowns, luck and performance variance of both sides. Quantifying that reliably is exactly what countless linesmen the world over do (I was one). When you only have a few % profit to work with, being wrong means you get sacked.

Considering you are relying on a bunch of numbers and not looking at all, ....

Not what I said :-) The statistical element is simply the basis you build your picture from.

For example, Melzer around evens wins 2/3 of his matches, which led me to consider betting him against Montanes - a match I wouldn't have touched normally (basically the received opinion on Melzer is completely wrong, and thus he's repeatedly underrated). Seppi at 1.50-1.66 wins 83% of the time, which led me to avoid betting on Querrey, which was my instinct. In both cases it's just one factor you start from, but it gives you a considerable advantage over simplistic performance or matchup comparisons.

shotgun
05-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Del Potro will beat Murray IMO.

philosophicalarf
05-14-2009, 02:08 PM

Pretty hard going for DelPotro if he serves like he did today. Then again, he won the 2nd set at 33%FS.

BaselineSmash
05-14-2009, 02:11 PM
The del Mercenary was playing the TMC while he was injured, then flying to Argentina and losing to LaLo, and then balling his eyes out.

As for the tears, if they play tomorrow, then there is a good chance he will shed tears.

The guy might have been relaxing in jacuzzis filled with dollars in-between matches in Shanghai, but when he got over to South America it would have helped if Nalbandian had played well in the doubles. Typical Dahveed -pretty much tank the whole year, show glimmers of form in indoor season, then mess up in clutch moments in biggest match of his life.

miura
05-14-2009, 02:13 PM
First set was a bit exciting but I fell asleep during the second. Woke up to the music they play over the highlights.

HeretiC
Yeah, whats the next step up from moonballing height wise?

Marsballer.

alansk
Pretty hard going for DelPotro if he serves like he did today. Then again, he won the 2nd set at 33%FS.

Hmmm I'll keep the stake at Ł2 then. Save the house for another day.

Action Jackson
05-14-2009, 02:17 PM
The guy might have been relaxing in jacuzzis filled with dollars in-between matches in Shanghai, but when he got over to South America it would have helped if Nalbandian had played well in the doubles. Typical Dahveed -pretty much tank the whole year, show glimmers of form in indoor season, then mess up in clutch moments in biggest match of his life.

He wasn't man enough to play the 5th match, it's simple if you are injured and can't give your best, then don't play. He was injured in Bercy and chased the fucking cash.

Murray has a Bye into the semis now.

Merton
05-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Solid clay win from Murray here and I think he will reach the semis now.

Obviously Murray much happier with Del Potro than with Stan.

Henry Chinaski
05-14-2009, 02:26 PM
career win for murray on the dirt

Action Jackson
05-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Sorry, but that's not even remotely how it works. The betting industry exists fundamentally because there's a high degree of unknowns, luck and performance variance of both sides. Quantifying that reliably is exactly what countless linesmen the world over do (I was one). When you only have a few % profit to work with, being wrong means you get sacked.

Those unknowns extend across the board and not just because of their rankings, in other words not everything comes down to raw data, which is obvious enough.

I mean come on, I had clowns telling me Hamburg was quicker than Monte Carlo, hence I am very sceptical and with good reason when it comes to surface speed and even more so when they aren't the same surface.

How are the odds calculated? That's right, there has to be a certain amount of research, current form, having some inside info, and other factors. They just don't pull a number out of their arse.

I don't need a bunch of numbers to see Blake is a bad match up for Davydenko and del Potro's game suits Murray.

HarryMan
05-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Haters seem to be in full force. Its not Murray's fault that Wawrinka isn't good enough to beat del Potro. Anyway great performance by Murray and if he reaches the final, he deserves credit for it and saying the other players stink won't cut it.

Keep going Muzza, there is a good chance he defends his Madrid title. :D

biological
05-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Tommy :sad:

vamos JMDP!

Clydey
05-14-2009, 02:31 PM
He wasn't man enough to play the 5th match, it's simple if you are injured and can't give your best, then don't play. He was injured in Bercy and chased the fucking cash.

Murray has a Bye into the semis now.

I don't know about that. I wouldn't even necessarily put Murray as the favourite. I see it as almost 50/50. I hope you're right, but I'm not totally convinced that it's a walkover.

kundalini
05-14-2009, 02:33 PM
In previous matches on the clay, Murray has had serious problems returning Stan's kick serve on the advantage side; and when he did get his return in play, Stan was in total control of the point. Unless he can resolve this issue, it would be very tough to beat Wawrinka. If it got tight in the third set then I would tend to favour Murray as Wawrinka seems to lose his nerve rather too often. The recent match against Novak being a classic case.

Against JMDP it is just a case of making sure he doesn't get into a rhythm of pounding down big groundstrokes; easier said than done but Murray has the variety in his game to achieve this, so long as he can execute.

nanoman
05-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Convincing win by Murray.

So, is this his 1st MS clay final ?

rocketassist
05-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Trickier playing Del Potro on clay for Murray than on any other surface, but he still looked likely to win their Rome match at the point when Mugtro hurt himself.

Spanked him in the junior RG event too, but that's only juniors.

Hope Muzz takes it.

Clydey
05-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Trickier playing Del Potro on clay for Murray than on any other surface, but he still looked likely to win their Rome match at the point when Mugtro hurt himself.

Spanked him in the junior RG event too, but that's only juniors.

Hope Muzz takes it.

That's the strange thing. Murray was a top clay courter in the juniors and could barely win a match on grass.

vidanhv
05-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Now, this is reashuring. Very happy for Murray. Its always important to see the results of yout training as soon as possible.

GlennMirnyi
05-14-2009, 03:36 PM
What a funny match.

Boredo is an utter joke.

roberthenman
05-14-2009, 04:07 PM
good match Andy :yeah:

Merton
05-14-2009, 04:11 PM
That's the strange thing. Murray was a top clay courter in the juniors and could barely win a match on grass.

Not strange at all, his tennis mind and craft would work at the junior level but his forehand just does not fit clay.

McAlistar
05-14-2009, 04:13 PM
It does a bit, its like Nadals most of the time,slow and loopy :P

Action Jackson
05-14-2009, 04:16 PM
I don't know about that. I wouldn't even necessarily put Murray as the favourite. I see it as almost 50/50. I hope you're right, but I'm not totally convinced that it's a walkover.

Del Pussy needs to use the kick serve on the backhand side and the slider to the forehand, but he isn't smart enough to use these serves effectively. He will just hit the same ball over, over and over and give Murray the rhythm he likes and then Muzz will have his way.

rocketassist
05-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Not strange at all, his tennis mind and craft would work at the junior level but his forehand just does not fit clay.

Gotta disagree, his forehand is actually more effective on this surface than his backhand is.

Action Jackson
05-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Gotta disagree, his forehand is actually more effective on this surface than his backhand is.

It sucked when he played Monaco and when he played Stani on the clay. It's not heavy enough.

bizzle
05-14-2009, 04:37 PM
:)

rocketassist
05-14-2009, 04:39 PM
It sucked when he played Monaco and when he played Stani on the clay. It's not heavy enough.

Perhaps but his backhand which is usually his big weapon tends to lack timing on this surface and he often overhits.

His forehand can get spin and height on this surface. Against Monaco it was the BH side that sucked more often.

Clydey
05-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Perhaps but his backhand which is usually his big weapon tends to lack timing on this surface and he often overhits.

His forehand can get spin and height on this surface. Against Monaco it was the BH side that sucked more often.

I agree. When Murray runs around his backhand to hit his forehand on clay, that's always when he plays his best.

marcRD
05-14-2009, 05:56 PM
What is Robredo vs top 10 stats?

«Ivan»
05-14-2009, 06:00 PM
clay murray for byrdy
http://i43.tinypic.com/15ppp36.jpg

malisha
05-15-2009, 12:16 AM
Not at the US Open:

this match wasnt as close as the scoreline suggests
Murray loves the matchup

iSzavay.
05-15-2009, 12:35 AM
Good job Andy :D.

fast_clay
05-15-2009, 12:58 AM
People often wonder why The Tradesman doesn't bring his chainsaw, 4 litres of engine degreaser, his blow up sheep and two tuna mayo sandwiches to work every single day...

well... the reason is this... The Tradesman does not care much for show boating his well equipped tool belt about for his clients early on... on a tuesday or wednesay, it just looks over the top... he's a humble guy and he knows bringing out the front end loader on tuesdays looks a little off... its why you see him lose to lightweights like monaco early on... cos he only bought a 20cm length of string and half a stale donut... but while he may seemed unprepared at times, it comes from a good, honourable and decent place....

The Tradesman just has to much respect for the ticket holders on a Friday... or even a Sunday, which is mostly the case... The Tradesman, unlike many of his peers, deals with many clients... sometimes up to 15,000 at a time... he knows what they want... they have paid to see Murray go to work... and tomorrow, we can expect The Tradesman to go to work on 'One Trick' Pony's bollocks with a hacksaw and a 5 kilogram bag of rock salt...

it's what the crowds have paid for... in the middle of this global recession, Murray understands this...

this noble warrior is doing his bit...

calvinhobbes
05-15-2009, 01:00 AM
If Del Mugstang plays like today, Mugzza has a bye tomorrow....

propi
05-15-2009, 01:26 AM
Tommy :(
Get it together for Roland Garros :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Clydey
05-15-2009, 01:29 AM
People often wonder why The Tradesman doesn't bring his chainsaw, 4 litres of engine degreaser, his blow up sheep and two tuna mayo sandwiches to work every single day...

well... the reason is this... The Tradesman does not care much for show boating his well equipped tool belt about for his clients early on... on a tuesday or wednesay, it just looks over the top... he's a humble guy and he knows bringing out the front end loader on tuesdays looks a little off... its why you see him lose to lightweights like monaco early on... cos he only bought a 20cm length of string and half a stale donut... but while he may seemed unprepared at times, it comes from a good, honourable and decent place....

The Tradesman just has to much respect for the ticket holders on a Friday... or even a Sunday, which is mostly the case... The Tradesman, unlike many of his peers, deals with many clients... sometimes up to 15,000 at a time... he knows what they want... they have paid to see Murray go to work... and tomorrow, we can expect The Tradesman to go to work on 'One Trick' Pony's bollocks with a hacksaw and a 5 kilogram bag of rock salt...

it's what the crowds have paid for... in the middle of this global recession, Murray understands this...

this noble warrior is doing his bit...

Your thread has been updated. The MW natives want you to join, but I told them that it would ruin your aura.

fast_clay
05-15-2009, 03:45 AM
Your thread has been updated. The MW natives want you to join, but I told them that it would ruin your aura.

robredo thought he could outbore murray here today... till he got a one-on-one lesson on how to do it properly... then, amazingly, free of charge, Murray was nice enough to get all chameleon-like and rip tommy a couple of new ones...

amonb
05-15-2009, 07:49 AM

Murray.... Night match??? Getting killed??? Don't be so silly!!! Comfortable 2 set win then on to the final!!! ;)

Byrd
05-15-2009, 08:14 AM
clay murray for byrdy
http://i43.tinypic.com/15ppp36.jpg

Well done Chooper, have a biscuit.

rubbERR
05-15-2009, 11:47 AM
king of boredoms wins prince boredom.

Corey Feldman
05-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Go Andy, win the 4 tittel of the year!

Deivid23
05-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Good to see Andy progressing on clay and schooling Boring at home soil :yeah:

Arkulari
05-15-2009, 08:07 PM
I usually root for my boys, and I'm not a big fan of Muzza, but this result is :yeah:

reggie1
05-15-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm not a big fan of Muzza

I don't think there are too many whom are! :lol: