Nadal and Djokovic about slam rankings [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal and Djokovic about slam rankings

«Ivan»
05-13-2009, 11:53 PM
World number one Rafael Nadal suggested a two-year system would be a fairer way to decide men's tennis rankings after his Serb rival Novak Djokovic said the current 12-month system was cruel.

Djokovic lost his number three ranking to Andy Murray despite landing a second title of the year in Belgrade at the weekend and reaching the last three Masters Series finals.
Nadal said he had talked to Djokovic about the issue and agreed the current system of defending points won a year ago needed changing.
"I think a ranking based on two years would be much better in terms of being relaxed and, from my point of view, would allow me to lengthen my career," Nadal said after crushing Austria's Juergen Melzer at the Madrid Open.
"It's an important change."
Players on the ATP tour have to defend the points they earned during the same week a year earlier, so the reigning champion at an event can only maintain his points tally, not improve it.
"Playing three Masters Series finals in a row and winning a 250 event (in Belgrade) is incredible success and even then you are dropping a spot down in the rankings," Djokovic said.
"That shows how cruel the ranking system is in this sport."
"Federer or Nadal have been winning four or five grand slams in a row and they haven't won a single point," Djokovic added after beating Spain's Oscar Hernandez in the second round.

Nadal 'n Djokovic (http://www.eurosport.yahoo.com/13052009/58/nadal-djokovic-slam-rankings.html)

"I don't want to create any controversy because in the end it looks like I'm the one causing it," said Nadal, the vice-president of the ATP Player Council below Federer.
"I've been saying for some time now that for me, it would be better to have a two-year ranking system; it would be better for the players."
Nadal, who has on the whole managed to avoid serious injury problems although his knees occasionally become a weak point from the wear and tear his athletic style puts on them, added: "If you have an injury it's (the absence) not going to hurt you as much. You could also choose a bit more where you play and where you don't play.

alfonsojose
05-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Both b*tches trying to manipulate rankings. They want top stay forever at the top.

out_here_grindin
05-13-2009, 11:56 PM
I disagrre. A 2 year system wouls allow mugs who may have had one good tournament stay higher up for longer/ and it would not allow young up and comers a chance to rise.

nadal and Djoke are just trying to cushion their lofty places in the rankings for longer periods of time. Does this indicate they are scared of loosing points soon?

Johnny Groove
05-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Bullshit from both.

Djokovic lost his ranking because he crapped out against Roddick at the Aussie and Indian Wells, and choked when he had a shot at taking #2 in the first few weeks of the year, while Murray has been winning TMS events left, right, and center.

l_mac
05-13-2009, 11:59 PM
What is Rafa talking about? :retard:

out_here_grindin
05-14-2009, 12:00 AM
A 2 year system would allow almagro to remain in the top 20 when he sucks now and in the current system is rightfully drpooing out of the top 32.

oranges
05-14-2009, 12:00 AM
I wonder how they would have liked that system when they had to rise up the rankings. :bs: of the highest order

Har-Tru
05-14-2009, 12:03 AM
bs

shawshank
05-14-2009, 12:03 AM
Is Rafa drunk?

Stefwhit
05-14-2009, 12:10 AM
How about like in golf where the second year only accounts for 25% and the last year counting for the remaining 75%...that's not such a bad idea.

camnation
05-14-2009, 12:17 AM
How about like in golf where the second year only accounts for 25% and the last year counting for the remaining 75%...that's not such a bad idea.
Yeah, I kinda prefer the WGR method, from an injury standpoint.

philosophicalarf
05-14-2009, 12:35 AM
I disagrre. A 2 year system wouls allow mugs who may have had one good tournament stay higher up for longer/ and it would not allow young up and comers a chance to rise.

Yeah - especially safin and schuettler. There are ways of handling that though, eg basing rankings on median points performance with weightings, so one fluke outlier success doesn't keep you high in the rankings for ages.

w78dexon_y
05-14-2009, 12:35 AM
hehe..ATP ranking just changed as of Jan 01/09, to make it more rapid and they're talking about it with delay?! Where were they before?

I am sure Rog would bless this crazy idea too. This system works the best for old players, who're close to retire or already starting going downhill (Roger Federer), for the players who are already on top 5 (Nadal, Roger, Murray, Djokovic, delpo)...and favours nobody else. The emergence of the young guns would be way deleyed!!

And in term of tennis career being such a short, that would create GOATs easily!
Not good.
I agree that ranking system in term of #ATP points per tourney is cruel, but that's different issue.
NOPE, one yera term is still the best!!

And yeah, Rafa knows very well what he is talking about: he has almost 16000 (8000 by old system) ATP points (there will be even more than that as of next Monday) - and now is looking for the way to cement it!
Nope again!

Sapeod
05-14-2009, 12:36 AM
:bs: from both. The current ranking rules are fine.

w78dexon_y
05-14-2009, 12:39 AM
Regarding new two year proposal it would be possible that someone wins 3 GS in a season, yet just to finish it at #2!??!

And then again, once a player does too poor, he would be still sitting at the top, thanks to his performance he did two years ago?!! Makes no sense to me.

Sapeod
05-14-2009, 12:47 AM
Regarding new two year proposal it would be possible that someone wins 3 GS in a season, yet just to finish it at #2!??!

And then again, once a player does too poor, he would be still sitting at the top, thanks to his performance he did two years ago?!! Makes no sense to me.
Me neither :o Keep it the way it is, ATP.

Okonsky
05-14-2009, 01:05 AM
:bs: from both. The current ranking rules are fine.

Double bull:yeah:

freeandlonely
05-14-2009, 01:07 AM
I believe they exchanged opinions in a bar.
They have to sober themselves up.

Andi-M
05-14-2009, 01:15 AM
Wow people are so offended about Murray becoming number 3. You'd think he was the most unjustifeid no 3 of all time....

Corey Feldman
05-14-2009, 01:16 AM
unreal these divas

Nole "cruel that i won the Nole open and lost a place in the ranking"

try winning a TMS shield then !!

FedFan_2007
05-14-2009, 01:35 AM
You'll never BS like this from Federer. That's because he's a real man who was 237 consecutive weeks under the "cruel system".

habibko
05-14-2009, 01:46 AM
hahaha, seriously, what a stupid suggestion.

Playing three Masters Series finals in a row and winning a 250 event (in Belgrade) is incredible success and even then you are dropping a spot down in the rankings," Djokovic said.

O RLY!? maybe because you sucked for almost a year before that?

rofe
05-14-2009, 01:49 AM
Bunch of whiny kids. I wonder if Fed will kowtow to these cry babies.

star
05-14-2009, 01:52 AM
The year ranking system is hard enough for the fans to swallow. With a two year ranking -- I guess only half the points would come off instead of all the points? Anyway, You could be kind of sucky for an entire year and still be held up in the rankings.

I do think it's a lot of pressure, but that's kind of the way of the game.

Forehander
05-14-2009, 02:02 AM
it would take forever for the rankings to change lol. This is not viable at all

Steelq
05-14-2009, 02:10 AM
What's up with Nadal lately,he is complaining about everything.First he wants less hard court tournaments,then that thing with clay colour,now this.Strange...it's not like him.

GlennMirnyi
05-14-2009, 02:24 AM
:lol:

And Nadull cares about tradition. :lol:

What a joke.

Sunset of Age
05-14-2009, 02:39 AM
Ridiculous NONSENSE from both of them.

:haha: - Raf, Djoko, please stop it. The current ranking points count is already enough of a trainwreck to follow.

:retard:s

gulzhan
05-14-2009, 02:44 AM
What's up with Nadal lately,he is complaining about everything.First he wants less hard court tournaments,then that thing with clay colour,now this.Strange...it's not like him.

Maybe his English has improved dramatically? ;)

Clydey
05-14-2009, 02:46 AM
unreal these divas

Nole "cruel that i won the Nole open and lost a place in the ranking"

try winning a TMS shield then !!

:lol:

leng jai
05-14-2009, 02:50 AM
There should be no points, player rankings should be done through votes from MTF posters.

GlennMirnyi
05-14-2009, 02:52 AM
Maybe his English has improved dramatically? ;)

Definitely not.

gjr
05-14-2009, 03:19 AM
Clownish behaviour of the most idiotic kind.

Nole currently holds titles at TMC, Dubai and Belgrade.

Andy has 6 titles including 3 TMS.

fast_clay
05-14-2009, 03:37 AM
not an entirely bad idea... just poorly thought out so far and misunderstood...

(1 X current years results) + (0.33 x previous years results) is something like how i would see it...

i understand their point fully... a similar system is used in snooker... as long as the previous year is weighted less than half of what it did when it was current, then, i would celebrate that change...

tangerine_dream
05-14-2009, 03:44 AM
World number one Rafael Nadal suggested a two-year system would be a fairer way to decide men's tennis rankings after his Serb rival Novak Djokovic said the current 12-month system was cruel.
Shut up and play, you two.

I agree. He's been loopy lately.

habibko
05-14-2009, 03:51 AM

(1 X current years results) + (0.33 x previous years results) is something like how i would see it...

i understand their point fully... a similar system is used in snooker... as long as the previous year is weighted less than half of what it did when it was current, then, i would celebrate that change...

there is really no need for it even if it weighed less, 2 years is a long period of time in tennis terms, it's completely pointless to carry points for such a long period of time.

Wimbledon does something like this to determine their seedings, but it makes more sense because of the surface.

fast_clay
05-14-2009, 03:55 AM
Rafael Nadal owns tennis... the game of tennis is now like the two water bottles at the change of end... they must be just so...

MalwareDie
05-14-2009, 04:00 AM
What an appalling suggestion. These two mugs should be nominated for ACC.

its.like.that
05-14-2009, 04:08 AM
who gives a f*ck about rankings, the pinnacle of the sport is to win slams.

w78dexon_y
05-14-2009, 04:09 AM

Maybe he plans to stop running so much soon?
he was complaining about new drug test system too.

bluefork
05-14-2009, 04:18 AM
Rankings based on two years of results? That's ridiculous. Instead, rankings should be entirely based on which players MTF is bandwagonning each week.

bobbynorwich
05-14-2009, 05:51 AM

The crown is weighing heavily

http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/IST/IST501/good-offer-1860_~1150310.jpg

Or Levy
05-14-2009, 06:04 AM
Is Rafa insane? If that system was in place a year ago, he would still be number 2 to Roger's 1.

I'm not sure how a two years system works. Roger win wimby in 2007, Rafa wins it in 2008, and they both get to keep their points in 2009?

pica_pica
05-14-2009, 07:54 AM
I love both of them but :help:, what on earth are they talking about?

finishingmove
05-14-2009, 07:57 AM
There should be no points, player rankings should be done through votes from MTF posters.

i'd vote for haasi

Foxy
05-14-2009, 08:18 AM

That's better. It looks more like Wimby seeds ranking.

Foxy
05-14-2009, 08:20 AM
who gives a f*ck about rankings, the pinnacle of the sport is to win slams.

No. It is all about winning AMS events and Olympics Singles Gold. :devil:

rafa_maniac
05-14-2009, 08:22 AM
Rafa, shut the fuck up. :smash:

HeretiC
05-14-2009, 10:18 AM
I can understand that what they are proposing will make them less pressurized, but it will be highly unfair to newcomers. The point is do fans like them to feel so secure and without a pressure? Handling the pressure was always a structural part of tennis, I wouldn't like to see it go away.

Or Levy
05-14-2009, 10:36 AM
I really hate that - Roger defended his position as number 1 for four years, by winning almost all big HC titles+Grass+getting to the finals of all clay event.

Rafa CAN play less, his number 1 position isn't in any danger even if he skipped MC, or Barcelona, for example. Roger played less than Rafa, still kept number 1.

decrepitude
05-14-2009, 10:40 AM
I bet they wouldn't have liked the idea when they were up-and-comers.

Ridiculous from both of them, and sounding like very sour grapes from Djokovic.

Action Jackson
05-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Not as stupid as RR, but not far off.

leng jai
05-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Not as stupid as RR, but not far off.

I thought RR was a good idea.

Jōris
05-14-2009, 11:01 AM
What is Rafa talking about? :retard:

Nadal's talking about how he and Djokovic are buddies.

ignigena
05-14-2009, 11:02 AM

Djokovic lost his number three ranking to Andy Murray despite landing a second title of the year in Belgrade at the weekend and reaching the last three Masters Series finals.
Nadal said he had talked to Djokovic about the issue and agreed the current system of defending points won a year ago needed changing.
"I think a ranking based on two years would be much better in terms of being relaxed and, from my point of view, would allow me to lengthen my career," Nadal said after crushing Austria's Juergen Melzer at the Madrid Open.
Players on the ATP tour have to defend the points they earned during the same week a year earlier, so the reigning champion at an event can only maintain his points tally, not improve it.
"Playing three Masters Series finals in a row and winning a 250 event (in Belgrade) is incredible success and even then you are dropping a spot down in the rankings," Djokovic said.
"Federer or Nadal have been winning four or five grand slams in a row and they haven't won a single point," Djokovic added after beating Spain's Oscar Hernandez in the second round.

Nadal 'n Djokovic (http://www.eurosport.yahoo.com/13052009/58/nadal-djokovic-slam-rankings.html)

"I don't want to create any controversy because in the end it looks like I'm the one causing it," said Nadal, the vice-president of the ATP Player Council below Federer.
"I've been saying for some time now that for me, it would be better to have a two-year ranking system; it would be better for the players."
Nadal, who has on the whole managed to avoid serious injury problems although his knees occasionally become a weak point from the wear and tear his athletic style puts on them, added: "If you have an injury it's (the absence) not going to hurt you as much. You could also choose a bit more where you play and where you don't play.

As long as it gives a weight of 75% or more the last year, it would make sense to me. Obviously, coming from them, i will suggest to start using it after their career are finished.

fred perry
05-14-2009, 12:05 PM
djol: try working for a living. that would really be "cruel".

Ozon
05-14-2009, 12:05 PM
I really like both of them but these ideas are stupid!

asmazif
05-14-2009, 12:06 PM
ok, this is just silly.

Horatio Caine
05-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Bullshit from both.

Djokovic lost his ranking because he crapped out against Roddick at the Aussie and Indian Wells, and choked when he had a shot at taking #2 in the first few weeks of the year, while Murray has been winning TMS events left, right, and center.

Totally agree mate.

Rafa's reasoning is rubbish...he alone is responsible for his scheduling. He doesn't NEED to play all the events he does to retain his #1 ranking. For instance, why the hell does he need to play Queen's? He could just commit to a London exhibition event in the days before Wimbledon to get some match practice. The guy is his own worst enemy at times.

As for Djokovic, the funny thing is that if he counts back 2 years, that Australian Open title would still be on his ranking (along with US Open final). He only has himself to blame for failing to defend those lofty achievements (especially that RETIREMENT at this year's AO), so get over it...

FedFan
05-14-2009, 12:57 PM
It is not that surprising, Nadal doesn't care for the health of tennis, he cares for himself as he has shown before.

Why these guys are in the ATP Player Council is a mistery to me.

They should represent the interests of all players not only theirs.

Corey Feldman
05-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Nadal always thinking about himself, nothing new here

nadal il mito
05-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Nadal always thinking about himself, nothing new here

rtyuubbdddeec gttfessxv tgdsees uiiki?

tnosugar
05-14-2009, 02:19 PM

I think one year placement rankings for seeding are fine as well. What should be done is to give more weight to race points within the year and increase the importance of the end of year placement in the race. Then you could introduce a cumulative point system based on the players' end of year position, and this would probably be the best way to calculate who is GOAT. This would work fine in retrospective as well.

Merton
05-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Terrible ignorance of tennis history for top players, the 2-year ranking was the rule until 1979. Vilas failed to get the #1 ranking after having a year such as the one he had in 1977.

Igaarg
05-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Nadal says that because now that he is number 1, is convinient for him. Why he didn´t say that before? Federer would be the N1 maybe, without deserving, because, as much as I love Federer, he is not playing well. But that is not the most relevant issue. What about the no top ten players? It´s unfair for them, I think.
And Djoko...because he is not the number 3 anymore.
It´s true, tennis is so competitive, you can win lot of titles and get a low ranking. That´s the life they chose.

JolánGagó
05-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Bullshit of the highest order.

Action Jackson
05-14-2009, 03:23 PM
http://www.absolutad.com/gallery/originals_bullshit1_ranndino.jpg

Etern
05-14-2009, 04:02 PM
So Gasquet isn't the only one who is high?

azinna
05-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Nadal hanging out with Djoko. Not good. Accentuates the whiner in both. They'll come up with more BS if the ATP doesn't put a limit to their convos.

«Ivan»
05-14-2009, 05:35 PM
fast clay excluded

i'm amazed how mtf members know better(everything,without an exeption)than players.every possible issue!
kindegarden.

oranges
05-14-2009, 05:46 PM
fast clay excluded

i'm amazed how mtf members know better(everything,without an exeption)than players.every possible issue!
kindegarden.

.. and all players outside the top 10 and many inside would embrace the idea in a blink :haha:

Action Jackson
05-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Terrible ignorance of tennis history for top players, the 2-year ranking was the rule until 1979. Vilas failed to get the #1 ranking after having a year such as the one he had in 1977.

Can't expect people to remember this, that would be too much work.

Andi-M
05-14-2009, 05:52 PM
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/14052009/58/murray-defends-ranking-system.html

New world number three Andy Murray hit back at number four Novak Djokovic after the Serb said the current rankings system was cruel.

Djokovic was leapfrogged by Murray in the rankings this week despite landing a second title of the year in Belgrade at the weekend and reaching the last three Masters Series finals.

"There always seem to be problems and now it's obviously the rankings," Murray said after beating Tommy Robredo in the third round of the Madrid Masters.

"It's great that Novak's done well the last few weeks but the first three or four months of the year I played a lot better than him so I think the rankings reflect very well how the guys are playing," the Briton added.

"Until this week I've never heard anyone complain. I think maybe only in the last week it's become a problem for Novak."

"Playing three Masters Series finals in a row and winning a 250 event is incredible success and even then you are dropping a spot down in the rankings," Djokovic said on Wednesday. "That shows how cruel the ranking system is in this sport."

Murray said he had some sympathy for a suggestion by world number one Rafael Nadal for a system that took into account points won over 24 months rather than 12.

"I understand what Rafa's saying with the two year thing," Murray said.

"It's kind of like in golf where there's not so much pressure every single week to play."

Murray noted that sometimes players felt obliged to play in mandatory tournaments even if they were carrying injuries.

"If they want to make it a longer, more extended period you have your ranking for, I'm happy with that," he said.

"But I don't think it's necessary to change the points structure. They've been doing new things with it all the time so let's just leave it how it is for a while."

justsumma
05-14-2009, 05:52 PM
fast clay excluded

kindegarden. The word's Kindergarten. Sorry to intrude but I speak a bit German ;)

«Ivan»
05-14-2009, 05:53 PM
diaper.

tennizen
05-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Sounds sensible to me

«Ivan»
05-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Sounds sensible to me

:mad: hema! don't make me red you;)

justsumma
05-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Unlike the Pig and the Joker, this guy can formulate a bunch of coherent sentences.

Andi-M
05-14-2009, 05:57 PM
I agree Murray is a smart guy. No-one had complained before he became no 3:shrug:

AO 08 is a long time ago, does Nole think he can stay top 3 forever with this one achievement?

jonathancrane
05-14-2009, 05:58 PM
"It's great that Novak's done well the last few weeks but the first three or four months of the year I played a lot better than him so I think the rankings reflect very well how the guys are playing," the Briton added.

:spit:

"Until this week I've never heard anyone complain. I think maybe only in the last week it's become a problem for Novak."

:worship:

finishingmove
05-14-2009, 05:58 PM
don't drop the soap in the locker room showers, muzza.

marcRD
05-14-2009, 05:59 PM

Good one. :D

jonathancrane
05-14-2009, 06:00 PM
I agree Murray is a smart guy. No-one had complained before he became no 3:shrug:

AO 08 is a long time ago, does Nole think he can stay top 3 forever with this one achievement?

?
Masters Cup means something to you?

And 1 GS > 0 GS

Byrd
05-14-2009, 06:00 PM
William Wallace is getting ready to go to war with Serbia.

Action Jackson
05-14-2009, 06:01 PM
For fuck sake they changed the points this year, just to protect the top players, then the crybabies of Djokovic and Nadal forgetting that they used to have the ranking system over 2 years previously, which they got rid of in 1980 after the farce it became.

Murray has been the best 2nd best player for quite some time.

Seppi had to defend points from Hamburg, but he didn't do the job, but that doesn't matter, because he is a no-name Italian.

Fix the calendar, that is something that more important than this. Murray only stating the obvious.

tennizen
05-14-2009, 06:02 PM
:mad: hema! don't make me red you;)

Chooper, even the closest of friends must disagree sometimes :D

«Ivan»
05-14-2009, 06:02 PM
i'm sure someone wrote article to him.it needs lots of brain cells.

Andi-M
05-14-2009, 06:10 PM
?
Masters Cup means something to you?

And 1 GS > 0 GS

Yeah TMC great achievement too but Murray has won 3 AMS's to Noles nil in the last 12 months, thats worth more points than the TMC.

True 1>0, but that was 18 months ago the points for that are long gone. Safin has 2 slams does he deserve to be world no 3 cos he has more slams than Murray and Djokovic??

TennisViewer531
05-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Murray's got a point..

Erica86
05-14-2009, 07:04 PM
I don't agree with Nadal and Djokovic's idea about slam rankings. Nevertheless, whatever system they take, Rafa will be number 1 for quite a long time, unless he gets injured.

oranges
05-14-2009, 07:30 PM
I don't agree with Nadal and Djokovic's idea about slam rankings. Nevertheless, whatever system they take, Rafa will be number 1 for quite a long time, unless he gets injured.

Actually, with the system in place right now, he wouldn't be No1, which is just one illustration how well that rankings would reflect the situation

Johnny Groove
05-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Murray talking sense here.

Vida
05-14-2009, 08:15 PM
I feel something should be done with the rankings (as well as entire schedule), but this 2-year stuff just sounds silly.

RickDaStick
05-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Nadal quietly looking to rise to the top spot for the biggest crybaby. I look for him next to suggest clay finals be best of 1 because it is getting difficult for him to play every week.

Sapeod
05-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Muzza making more sense than those two clowns. I wonder which side Federer would be on :scratch:

Sunset of Age
05-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Muzza making more sense than those two clowns. I wonder which side Federer would be on :scratch:

Muzza is spot-on indeed. Thanks for speaking up buddy!

Fed has so far remained suspiciously silent about this matter. :cool:

Aenea
05-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Murray said he had some sympathy for a suggestion by world number one Rafael Nadal for a system that took into account points won over 24 months rather than 12.

"I understand what Rafa's saying with the two year thing," Murray said.

"It's kind of like in golf where there's not so much pressure every single week to play."

Murray noted that sometimes players felt obliged to play in mandatory tournaments even if they were carrying injuries.

"If they want to make it a longer, more extended period you have your ranking for, I'm happy with that," he said.

"But I don't think it's necessary to change the points structure. They've been doing new things with it all the time so let's just leave it how it is for a while."

As far as I understand "Murray said he had some sympathy for a suggestion by world number one Rafael Nadal for a system that took into account points won over 24 months rather than 12."

Am I getting something wrong?

moon language
05-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Looks like that thin Madrid air is affecting their brains.

w78dexon_y
05-15-2009, 12:48 AM

on Nadal's. wORKS PERFECT FOR HIM TOO.

Regarding this proposal, Nadal plans to enter immortality. The next GOAT, for sure. He's gonna be worse than Rog!

With his 16,000 ATP points he would've ensured #1 for next 10 years! All he has to do is to make 8, ooo points every year (16,000/2 years) and he's gonna be #1 for next 10 years!

And any of top 4 players can easily collect 8, 000 points per year!!
So, all he has to do is to basically stay among top 4 and his #1 is secured!??
A perfect plan!?

hilluis
05-15-2009, 05:27 AM
Novak is always complaining about something... as A Murray implied in his comments.Because Andy loves and adores Rafa, he has some "understanding" of Rafa's 2 year idea and doesnt criticise him. Personally, I find it annoying that they seem to constantly feel hard done by with one thing or another. It is tough to maintain the no 1 position. Easier to get there than to stay there...

mylessa
05-15-2009, 06:21 AM
These two are whining about the same thing but present different "arguments". And somehow Murray agrees with Nadal and doesn't agree with Djokovic? And he is "spot on"?

Did Murray acknowledge the stupidity of 2 years based ranking system?

NO!

madlove
05-15-2009, 06:24 AM
nonsense

muchu
05-15-2009, 07:46 AM
I can understand if this kind of non sense came out from Djerkovic, I mean that's a thing you can expect from him. But Rafa? Whining like this? It's so lame and makes me sick of it. I guess he's getting comfortable at the top of the world and planning to stay there as longer as he can even by taking advantage from the least dignified way. shame on you Rafa. Shame on you. If you can't handle the pressure, better get out of the competition right away.

Clydey
05-15-2009, 09:44 AM
These two are whining about the same thing but present different "arguments". And somehow Murray agrees with Nadal and doesn't agree with Djokovic? And he is "spot on"?

Did Murray acknowledge the stupidity of 2 years based ranking system?

NO!

Murray didn't say that he agreed with the 2 year ranking system proposal. He said that he sympathised with Rafa.

habibko
05-15-2009, 09:48 AM
Murray didn't say that he agreed with the 2 year ranking system proposal. He said that he sympathised with Rafa.

yep that's what I understood as well, he is saying in polite words that Djokovic is bitching because he lost the #3 ranking and Nadal is trying to manipulate the rankings to what best suits him, I expect Federer to side with Murray as well, that would be quite funny seeing as that's the possible lineup for the semis now :lol:

Action Jackson
05-15-2009, 09:53 AM

I mean he had a go at Djokovic for making an issue of it, now that he is at #4 and as for Nadal, well Rick is right.

Clydey
05-15-2009, 10:01 AM
I mean he had a go at Djokovic for making an issue of it, now that he is at #4 and as for Nadal, well Rick is right.

I was responding to someone else. I didn't question anything you said, I don't think. :scratch:

el tenista
05-15-2009, 12:32 PM
I disagree as well. Who cares for a torunament two years ago? The ranking must at least represent the current form of the player and not what he achieved in the 1970s!
Of course, referring to Djokovic and Murray, the ranking does not represent the current form but I'm pretty sure that this will change after Wimbledon or the masters afterwards.
Sometimes weird things happen as seen on the example of the No.3 spot but this only happened because Murray was very weak on clay last year and Djokovic very strong. But normally, the ranking represents the current form so it need not to be changed.
Furthermore, it is more difficult to improve. Imagine you have a year losing in every tournament early and in the next year you break the ban and become a top player. Despite your achievements, your ranking cannot be as high as it should be!

Action Jackson
05-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Bump, because someone doesn't know how to use the search.

JolánGagó
05-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Bump, because someone doesn't know how to use the search.

Trying getting everyone to use the search before posting anything is futile, and some BUMPs (not this one) are so stale that just stink.

Venle
05-20-2009, 01:38 PM
They're not gonna change the system, no matter who of the top ones says what.

DrJules
05-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Sounds too much like a protected ranking scheme - not a good idea.

The Oracle
02-13-2010, 11:06 PM
FI this is what happens,Djokovic will not be even close~

sunsfuns
02-14-2010, 12:25 AM
The idea is a total crap, but I wonder if Nadal would have become #1 with such a system or not. He might not have or it would have been very short (AO 2009-RG 2009).