Apology yes or no? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Apology yes or no?

w78dexon_y
05-13-2009, 05:25 PM
when a player earned a "net cord" point (a point when the ball bounces off the net cord and directly forces his opponent to default), he raises his hand/racket for a sort of apology to his opponent for a such a point. Vast majority of them do it.

What such a gesture actually mean?
-regretting? ("I'll never do it again":sad:)
-sorrow? ("I didn't mean it. I will do UE at my very next shott to compensate you":sad:)
-announcing his own luck? ("Look, the luck is on my side. You're done":p).
-unhappiness for a cheap point? (was the point really cheap??)("I feel terrible for making this types of point for myself. My very next point I will do UE to equalise my ruined feelings":().
-telling his own skills ("see what I am able to do!!":devil:)
-something else??

Is it a good manner or a bad manner?
Is there any need for the gesture?
Hint: In 80es they never did it.

decrepitude
05-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Surely they are just acknowledging that they had a bit of good luck, and it was bad luck for the opponent?

jmsx521
05-13-2009, 05:36 PM
It's a meme: goes from generation to generation of tennis players, learned visually. We make the opponent feel that we are sorry... although we are not really sorry, but instead happy to win the "cheap point."

Voo de Mar
05-13-2009, 05:36 PM
For me it's stupid gesture (they do it also after hitting the ball with the frame of the racquet), I never use it playing tennis or table tennis. IMO there's no need for this gesture, it is very automatic and conformistic, isn't connected with real feelings. Netcord is a part of the game like all court lines. Players are happy winning the point and pretend to feel some freaky kind of sorrow etc. They should apologize only hitting the opponent with the ball if it's accidental.

Fumus
05-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Tennis is a gentleman's sport. A gentleman doesn't rejoice in the unlucky misfortunes for their opponents. It's little more than tradition...but the idea is basically good sportsmanship.

finishingmove
05-13-2009, 05:40 PM
For me it's stupid gesture (they do it also after hitting the ball with the frame of the racquet), I never use it playing tennis or table tennis. IMO there's no need for this gesture, it is very automatic and conformistic, isn't connected with real feelings. Netcord is a part of the game like all court lines. Players are happy winning the point and pretend to feel some freaky kind of sorrow etc. They should apologize only hitting the opponent with the ball if it's accidental.

completely agreed.

Certinfy
05-13-2009, 05:41 PM
There's only 1 person that shouldn't apologise, and that is... Juan Monaco, the King on Netcords.

nastoff
05-13-2009, 05:43 PM
It depends on the netcord, sometimes it gets a lucky bounce, sometimes it doesn't.

Snoo Foo
05-13-2009, 05:43 PM
nobody used to do it until the past few years, so it's not a tradition, unless maybe they did it like 100 years ago. personally i prefer to raise my arms over my head in triumph whenever i get a netcord in my favor.

finishingmove
05-13-2009, 05:50 PM
nobody used to do it until the past few years, so it's not a tradition, unless maybe they did it like 100 years ago. personally i prefer to raise my arms over my head in triumph whenever i get a netcord in my favor.

have you tried doing the worm?

mixed reactions to that one.

FerrersLinda
05-13-2009, 05:51 PM
I like it. :) Needs to be accompanied by a wink though.;)

w78dexon_y
05-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Tennis is a gentleman's sport. A gentleman doesn't rejoice in the unlucky misfortunes for their opponents. It's little more than tradition...but the idea is basically good sportsmanship.

yeah. Is there any sport not to be a gentleman's sport? The synonims: sport = fair = gentleman's.

BTW, what's unsporty (unfair) with the ball striking the net cord and fell to one side of the net? It could've gone either way? Couldn't it? Why doesn't the other opponent apologise when the ball bounces off the net cord and get back to the striker's side??? Isn't that bad luck for his opponent? Wouldn't it be gentleman's manner for his opponent to apologise?? Yet, nobody do it in that case. So, they appear to be "one-sided-sportsmen"!? lol ;)

tennizen
05-13-2009, 05:55 PM

I would also like to show the middle finger to the opponent immediately following this gesture.

Beforehand
05-13-2009, 06:21 PM
I feel bad, because it wasn't a shot I meant to hit - a total accident, I find it appropriate to acknowledge such a thing. It's not quite that I'm sorry I won the point, but more, sorry (for my opponent) that a bad/otherwise normal/good shot became a good/great/phenomenal shot because I did something not down to my "skill".

gam_jonte
05-13-2009, 07:17 PM
I feel bad, because it wasn't a shot I meant to hit - a total accident, I find it appropriate to acknowledge such a thing. It's not quite that I'm sorry I won the point, but more, sorry (for my opponent) that a bad/otherwise normal/good shot became a good/great/phenomenal shot because I did something not down to my "skill".

You said it perfectly. :)

freeandlonely
05-13-2009, 07:52 PM
I feel whatever.

Har-Tru
05-13-2009, 07:55 PM

what he said.

Action Jackson
05-13-2009, 08:07 PM
I don't celebrate winning a point off a netcord, if I was that talented, then it could happen all the time.

Fumus
05-13-2009, 08:17 PM
yeah. Is there any sport not to be a gentleman's sport? The synonims: sport = fair = gentleman's.

BTW, what's unsporty (unfair) with the ball striking the net cord and fell to one side of the net? It could've gone either way? Couldn't it? Why doesn't the other opponent apologise when the ball bounces off the net cord and get back to the striker's side??? Isn't that bad luck for his opponent? Wouldn't it be gentleman's manner for his opponent to apologise?? Yet, nobody do it in that case. So, they appear to be "one-sided-sportsmen"!? lol ;)

No you only apologize if you hit the net cord and win the point. I guess philosophically it's considered cheap or unfair. You know most players also apologize about shanks too. Shanks are lucky shots as they are not planned and are lucky but like net cords are an accident.

It's idealism and tradition...don't think about it too much.

w78dexon_y
05-13-2009, 09:16 PM
No you only apologize if you hit the net cord and win the point. I guess philosophically it's considered cheap or unfair.

ok, I understood that.
Now, why does not the opponent apologize if the ball strikes the top of net cord and fell back into the striker's field? Isn't it a cheap or unfair point too?

Henry Chinaski
05-13-2009, 09:19 PM
agree with Beforehand. Though you're happy to win the point there's still a vague pang of guilt somewhere in the background.

Voo and Arsen are clearly just soulless wankers.

GlennMirnyi
05-13-2009, 09:55 PM
It's etiquette. When you're learning tennis as a kid, your coach should tell you how it works.

tennizen
05-13-2009, 10:11 PM
It's etiquette. When you're learning tennis as a kid, your coach should tell you how it works.

Captain Obvious :rocker2:

heya
05-14-2009, 03:34 AM
Federer, Davydenko and Tsonga wouldn't apologize in tiebreaks and
after matches were stolen. No delusional fan would care. Tennis will die...

GlennMirnyi
05-14-2009, 03:36 AM
Captain Obvious :rocker2:

Well, if some of the people here can't grasp the idea, then it's not obvious.

MacTheKnife
05-14-2009, 03:46 AM
I'm sorry the ball hit the net but I'm damn glad I won the point. Sorry, but you got screwed. It's a phony apology and nobody really means it, but it is the sportsmanship appearance that most everyone expects.

habibko
05-14-2009, 03:51 AM
not the only thing people do to look good, it's not that bad for me personally, though I don't do it when I'm playing, especially table tennis since net cords and edge touches are too frequent.

in fact I celebrate and gloat the points I win by luck :banana: :angel:

Fumus
05-14-2009, 03:52 AM

Probably the best thing I've ever read about net cords in my life. You have to apologize, tennis will die. Just when I thought all hope was lost for MTF, heya... :D

bobbynorwich
05-14-2009, 04:16 AM
While the players feel required to do this >>> http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/Smileys/default/icon_imsorry.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0);)

They'd really like to do this >>> http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/Smileys/default/nerner.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0);) http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/Smileys/default/nerner.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0);) http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/Smileys/default/nerner.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0);)

w78dexon_y
05-14-2009, 04:44 AM

Federer and Tsonga won't even shake umpire's hand?!:o

Ilovetheblues_86
05-14-2009, 04:52 AM
Net cords touches make the loser of the point angry because:

1- That ball could have gone to the net.
2-That ball was going to have a very early bounce and I could attack it.>> This one makes me very angry.

The net cord is something that goes against the logic of tennis, because it give a free poitnt to a player who has not constructed a perfect and clean winner, that´s what frustates the opponent and makes for "Sympathy" the guy raise the hand.

betowiec
05-14-2009, 05:56 AM
nobody ever gives the point back, so it is not a sincere apology

w78dexon_y
05-14-2009, 10:38 AM

Exactly!! That's the point of the OP:

-sorrow? ("I didn't mean it. I will do UE at my very next shott to compensate you")

Ozon
05-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Yes, it's a question of politeness...

Ozon
05-14-2009, 11:12 AM

Of course not... but who's claiming this?

w78dexon_y
05-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Of course not... but who's claiming this?

the players who raise their racket in term of apology!? What for? Cosmetics? The guys in 80-s 90-s were at least more sincere.

MisterQ
05-20-2009, 01:12 AM
Here's how you should react:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_SOcpktt68

;)

Johnny Groove
05-20-2009, 01:15 AM
Net cords are a part of the game, just like bad bounces and mishits.

Neither should be "apologized" for.

Voo de Mar
05-20-2009, 01:18 AM

;)

Exactly :)

Maybe it's the most amazing netcord in tennis history, thanks to it Becker won Masters '88 final after 4 hours 43 minutes of play, 5-7 7-6(5) 3-6 6-2 7-6(5) :D

Har-Tru
05-20-2009, 01:24 AM
Exactly :)

Maybe it's the most amazing netcord in tennis history, thanks to it Becker won Masters '88 final after 4 hours 43 minutes of play, 5-7 7-6(5) 3-6 6-2 7-6(5) :D

LOL and to make matters worse it was a tie-break. Lendl must have been kicking himself after that one.

iSzavay.
05-20-2009, 02:06 AM
I never got that, everyone gets lucky sometimes, and obviously you're not really sorry :p.

gulzhan
05-20-2009, 03:03 AM
It's more a gesture of acknowledgement-- yep, I know, I've been lucky ;) I think it's very appropriate.

FedFan_2007
05-20-2009, 04:48 AM
Of course the troglodyte population in MTF would think this is stupid. Thank god, gentlemen still rule the sport.

chammer44
05-20-2009, 05:12 AM
A ridiculous ritual that should be replaced by a swaggering "in your face" style crotch grab.

FedFan_2007
05-20-2009, 05:15 AM
A ridiculous ritual that should be replaced by a swaggering "in your face" style crotch grab.

No doubt RFK and Roddickdominator would approve. Never in doubt.

Action Jackson
05-20-2009, 05:15 AM

;)

The prick did it against Rostagno at the US Open as well.

Bernard Black
05-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Not sure how anyone could get joy from a net cord.

Sure, you've won the point, but you haven't done it on your own terms or with any degree of skill, so it's only right you should apologise for the outrageous luck. If we're talking about at pro level, this is even more important because your slice of luck could hit your opponent extremely hard in the pocket so most people with a conscience would feel bad about that.

JolánGagó
05-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Utterly irrelevant.