Kubot def Karlovic 7:6(0), 6:2 - he is the first Pole to reach ATP final since 1983 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Kubot def Karlovic 7:6(0), 6:2 - he is the first Pole to reach ATP final since 1983

dijus
05-09-2009, 02:00 PM
:eek:

gl in final :D

Greg-Pete fan
I can`t believe:):)Great match for Kubot!!!;)

Caio_Brasil

Take the title.

DartMarcus
05-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Clownish tournament and Ivo still doesn`t win it :o

Goget
05-09-2009, 02:07 PM
7-0 in the tie-break :worship:

Renaud
05-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Q-bot :worship:

shawshank
05-09-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm almost crying! Amazing! One of the happiest moments in my life when talking about tennis memories :)

Iván
05-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Karlovic must be getting a bollocking in the locker room by his coach

finishingmove
05-09-2009, 02:13 PM
polish lalo :spit:

pica_pica
05-09-2009, 02:14 PM
:bolt:
Btw I was really happy for the LL. Poland must be proud of him.
He had his knees on the ground and did the cross sign right after his win.
Must be sweetest memories in his career.
:yeah: Well done, Kubot

What would people think about a Djokovic-LuckyLoser final? :haha:

shawshank
05-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Kubot will be now on 142 position in ATP ranking ;)

Nathaliia
05-09-2009, 02:15 PM
He'll rip Djokovic in the final like Stakhovsky did with Ljuba in Zagreb :haha:

Still not believing this week :lol: Lately I've been telling Action Jackson we need more Polish good scores in tennis because PL's team in ACC has been poor lately. And we truly have magnificent tennis trolls.

Sapeod
05-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Com'n Kubot :rocker2: Win the title you legend :yeah:

Voo de Mar
05-09-2009, 02:24 PM

I think Kubot will be lucky winning 4 games in one of the sets :)

DUN I LOVE
05-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Well done Łukasz , brawo.

Wygraj to !

pkubik
05-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Unreal! Brawo Łukasz!

Sapeod
05-09-2009, 02:26 PM
I think Kubot will be lucky winning 4 games in one of the sets :)
:sad:

Greg-Pete fan
05-09-2009, 02:28 PM
He would have some chances against Seppi, but against Djokovic:p

Voo de Mar
^ Yes, I can't see any weapon in Kubot's repertoir to be a tough opponent for Djokovic on clay, maybe someday on the other surface...

finishingmove

did you just compare djokovic and ljubicic?

HeretiC
05-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Great result for fans from Poland, Kubot played very well, not that he was better just in rallies (which was not unexpected considering it was Karlovic from the other side of the net) but he did some great stuff with passing shots and charging the net too which made Ivo uncomfortable. When he got the break in the second set he went down 0:40 in the next game, but he got huge help from Ivo who tried to hit return winners and they all went long or wide. It is an excellent achievement and a week for him, but he won't be a match for either Seppi or Djokovic tomorrow.

njnetswill
05-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Happy for all the Polish fans. :D

Spadea TT
05-09-2009, 03:22 PM
When was last LL to reach ATP final??

Björki
05-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Łukasz :yeah:

CooCooCachoo
05-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Great result for fans from Poland, Kubot played very well, not that he was better just in rallies (which was not unexpected considering it was Karlovic from the other side of the net) but he did some great stuff with passing shots and charging the net too which made Ivo uncomfortable. When he got the break in the second set he went down 0:40 in the next game, but he got huge help from Ivo who tried to hit return winners and they all went long or wide. It is an excellent achievement and a week for him, but he won't be a match for either Seppi or Djokovic tomorrow.

Lukasz is not known for his great baseline play either.

Anyways, what a surprising dream run for Lukasz here. I love his game, so I am happy with it, but wow, I did not expect him to ever reach a semi final, let alone a final.

CooCooCachoo
05-09-2009, 04:09 PM

Stakhovsky in Zagreb last year was a LL when he took the title. Am not sure if there was another one after that though.

Voo de Mar
05-09-2009, 04:10 PM

Stakhovsky last year in Zagreb I suppose.

Bilbo
05-09-2009, 04:12 PM
this kuta is good

anyway, kubot is a mug imo. he will get slaughtered in the final by nole. i'm not sure if people want to pay money for their tickets to see a final of 40 minutes.

Ilovetheblues_86
05-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Lukasz is not known for his great baseline play either.

Anyways, what a surprising dream run for Lukasz here. I love his game, so I am happy with it, but wow, I did not expect him to ever reach a semi final, let alone a final.

Kubot certainly isnīt a great player when in comes to see what are his weapons or ability.
However I think he has something a lot of challengers players donīt have, he seems to have balls, because he is still young and managed to become a very good doubles player and h's not afraid of palaying atp qualies then. I think he must have learned something playing with strong players, he learned that thereīs life over the slums of challengers and he basically managed to turn out luck into gold this week.
He didnīt reach R2 on Cost do Sauipe only on pure luck too, coming from qualies .
I can see he becoming a dangerous tennis player, but he yet has to proe he has regularity to make the top 100, which would need more wins on challenger tour. Maybe he should satart playing only ATPS, he seem to play better on them hehe

GlennMirnyi
05-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Belgrade challenger. :haha:

jonathancrane
05-09-2009, 04:19 PM
did you just compare djokovic and ljubicic?
Ljubo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nole

CooCooCachoo
05-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Kubot certainly isnīt a great player when in comes to see what are his weapons or ability.
However I think he has something a lot of challengers players donīt have, he seems to have balls, because he is still young and managed to become a very good doubles player and h's not afraid of palaying atp qualies then. I think he must have learned something playing with strong players, he learned that thereīs life over the slums of challengers and he basically managed to turn out luck into gold this week.
He didnīt reach R2 on Cost do Sauipe only on pure luck too, coming from qualies :).
I can see he becoming a dangerous tennis player, but he yet has to proe he has regularity to make the top 100, which would need more wins on challenger tour. Maybe he should satart playing only ATPS, he seem to play better on them hehe.

Lukasz has always been known as a very talented player. He has got a lot of touch and skill, but what has been holding him back, apart from his unorthodox game which some players can unravel very easily, is his very weak mentality. His results in singles this year suggest that he might have really improved there, and you might be right in attributing that to his success in doubles.

Vaccine
05-09-2009, 04:21 PM
That is stunning. Well done Łukasz! Brawo!

DartMarcus
05-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Hrbaty must be happy after beating Kubot :lol:

GlennMirnyi
05-09-2009, 04:24 PM

Never in doubt.

Ljubo = LEGENDA!

Voo de Mar
05-09-2009, 04:27 PM
He has got a lot of touch and skill, but what has been holding him back, apart from his unorthodox game which some players can unravel very easily, is his very weak mentality.

Why do you say that? Do you know his results from the early period of career? I'd say his ratio of tight matches before he began to play first ATP tournaments had been impressive. Last year he lost more tight matches than won but one year can't be the whole picture of someone's mentality.

Ilovetheblues_86
05-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Lukasz has always been known as a very talented player. He has got a lot of touch and skill, but what has been holding him back, apart from his unorthodox game which some players can unravel very easily, is his very weak mentality. His results in singles this year suggest that he might have really improved there, and you might be right in attributing that to his success in doubles.

I canīt say about his mentality, but he looks a smart player, with some touch for doubles. Maybe he needs to keep doing what heīs doing recently, because he definetely has some game, the big question is if he has the ability to bring nto play all the year, making he get a better ranking. Itīs not the game that is missing, is probably more committment to singles and against tricky callengrs plaers, since he is proving he can beat some good guys.

Mateya
05-09-2009, 04:44 PM
:spit:

It's not a shocking result, since Karlo can beat anybody or lose to anyone holding a tennis racquet in his hands.

But to lose a tiebreak to 0, with that monster serve of his, is just extraordinary. :retard: :confused: :retard:

I'm happy for Kubot, this is a week of his life. Don't know much about him, but this could be his first and last ATP final.
And he actually lost in qualies, given a third set bagel by Hrbaty. What a story. :)

finishingmove
05-09-2009, 05:11 PM

Never in doubt.

Ljubo = LEGENDA!

murray > ljubo, and that's saying something.

GlennMirnyi
05-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Ljubo is a LEGENDA mate.

finishingmove
05-09-2009, 05:13 PM
maybe.

:lol:

Mr. Oracle
05-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Clownish tournament and Ivo still doesn`t win it :o

The Serbia Open is an up and coming tournament. Give them a break. If you want to see a clown, look no further than the mirror when you wake up to brush your teeth.

Nathaliia
05-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Why do you say that? Do you know his results from the early period of career? I'd say his ratio of tight matches before he began to play first ATP tournaments had been impressive. Last year he lost more tight matches than won but one year can't be the whole picture of someone's mentality.
Young are fearless :)

I've seen a million of Łukasz's matches live and have seen that fear in his eyes too. Martijn is right about that one.

I hope he can be a late bloomer.

ChinoRios4Ever
05-09-2009, 07:33 PM

Voo de Mar
05-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Young are fearless :)

I've seen a million of Łukasz's matches live and have seen that fear in his eyes too. Martijn is right about that one.

I hope he can be a late bloomer.

In 2006 (24 year-old) Kubot after Challenger in Wroclaw had 13-2 in deciding tie-break sets what's is really impressive since 7-2 or 8-2 would have been a very good record, a couple months later when he beat Juska in Davis Cup rubber had 27-6 in "tight" matches what's impressive too. Later that year he debuted in Grand Salm and won two consecutive 5-setters whilst no-one in history won 4 in a row. It's very far from a picture of a player with weak mentality. Some member (sorry I forgot the nickname) rightly noticed yesterday that Kubot last year had bad record in the final set tie-break. I know that the memory is elusive so I prefer to stay with the numbers and facts looking at the whole career not only last couple of months. I don't question fear in his eyes, if Federer had that fear in last year's Wimbledon final why wouldn't have it any other player in the world?

Sapeod
05-09-2009, 07:55 PM
The Serbia Open is an up and coming tournament. Give them a break. If you want to see a clown, look no further than the mirror when you wake up to brush your teeth.
Owned :lol:

GlennMirnyi
05-09-2009, 08:11 PM

No, if I want to watch many many clowns I open the livestream to the Belgrade challenger circus.

CooCooCachoo
05-09-2009, 09:34 PM

Mentality does not only have to do with tight matches. The very fact that Lukasz often looks bored on court and shows no fighting spirit explains why he in fact often loses easily in matches that should in fact have been much tighter, and why he loses to players that are way less talented. Or do beg to differ and think that he is always focused and pumped up?

Voo de Mar
05-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Mentality does not only have to do with tight matches. The very fact that Lukasz often looks bored on court and shows no fighting spirit explains why he in fact often loses easily in matches that should in fact have been much tighter, and why he loses to players that are way less talented. Or do beg to differ and think that he is always focused and pumped up?

Thanks for explanation, now I understand your point of view :) In some sense it's always connected with tight matches. For example, you lose 2-6 3:5... if you're able to win some matches from that or similar position (then it's a tight win, at least for me) it indicates good mentality, something what's almost completely unknown for instance for such a good player like Blake. I was thinking this year a lot about the scorelines, and the process which its preceded to say something more about players mentality. Maybe I'll start a proper thread to discuss this issue.

Ilovetheblues_86
05-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Blake is not much very talented, he has a good mentality, because he wins a lot of Matches on home and on favorite surface.
Bad mentality> Soderling, Berdych, The new Safin.

Voo de Mar
05-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Blake is not much very talented, he has a good mentality

That's interesting, I completely disagree :) Blake's reflex and quickness are the gifts, so I'd say he's talented, he's got something what's very tough to drill. But his on-court mentality is very poor, but that thema has been discussed many times.

shawshank
05-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Blake is not much very talented, he has a good mentality, because he wins a lot of Matches on home and on favorite surface.
Bad mentality> Soderling, Berdych, The new Safin.

Talking about Berdych- it only seems that Berdych has a weak mentality. He is (or was before AO 2009) on the first place when talking about winning in 5 sets. He has something like 9-2 in 5 set matches. With all the respect, you can't say about somebody with that good ratio of 5 set matches that has a bad mentality.

shawshank
05-09-2009, 10:19 PM
VdM and CCC, I think that in Kubot's case the point is that he has a great potential and he hasn't fulfilled it yet. I mean, the thoughts you guys gave here about his mentality leads to this conclusion. Kubot lost a lot of matches easilly, lost some tight matches and won a lot of tight matches.
So 2 things.
The definition of word 'mentality' might be different in ours opinion.
Kubot's case is a little bit curious, so it's really tough to say wheather his mentality is weak or strong.

Voo de Mar
05-09-2009, 11:24 PM

I've checked LL winners. In the Open Era only 5 players won "ATP" tournament as a lucky loser:

1978 - Heinz Gunthardt - Springfield
1978 - Bill Scanlon - Maui
1990 - Francisco Clavet - Hilversum
1991 - Christian Miniussi - San Paulo
2008 - Sergiy Stakhovsky - Zagreb

Unfortunately I don't know how many LL's reached the final :(

I believe Kubot is the first LL ever who'll play singles and doubles final :wavey:

Titi
05-09-2009, 11:31 PM
This was a big shock...

But great win Kubot...and good luck!

Ilovetheblues_86
05-09-2009, 11:51 PM
That's interesting, I completely disagree :) Blake's reflex and quickness are the gifts, so I'd say he's talented, he's got something what's very tough to drill. But his on-court mentality is very poor, but that thema has been discussed many times.

Actually Iīm not that into Blake haha you know I think he has some talent actualy, but not much, his game is very one-dimensional, a typical hard court approach game, his mentality sometimes is weak but I believe is more because his game doesnīt help him either, is not like he could win more matches if he had a better mind, maybe some matches, but he reached a good ranking without a good serve, and without generating different kind of shots or strategy. i think he is bad on tactics, even having good relexes or speed.

Talking about Berdych- it only seems that Berdych has a weak mentality. He is (or was before AO 2009) on the first place when talking about winning in 5 sets. He has something like 9-2 in 5 set matches. With all the respect, you can't say about somebody with that good ratio of 5 set matches that has a bad mentality.

Yes, but sometimes he chokes a lot of times, and when he manages to win the game on a fifth set is because he should have won more fastly. :p Since h's a top10 in my book. :p

fast_clay
05-10-2009, 11:33 AM
kubot is the beggest thing to happen to Poland since jan pawell II came through a tough 16 man draw in 1978... and big jan straight setted all those papal wannabes... smoking form from the big fella... and thats pretty big for kubot, cos jan pawell was the next wojtek fibak...

anyways... even though i am a bit of a grasscourtard, i 'd love the clay season to be extended by 2 or 3 weeks... the comedy value of the results each year is quality... it really does belong mid-season... just to shake things up a bit...

FlameOn
05-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Wow Kubot. :eek:

I'm expecting an easy two-set victory for Djokovic, but what a good week. I hope he wins doubles. :D

Nathaliia
05-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Big charisma by Kubot, 4 pages of thread and no Nadull vs. Frauderer discussion.