Making a total mess in Madrid 2009 and jeopardizing RG [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Making a total mess in Madrid 2009 and jeopardizing RG

MariaV
05-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Uh oh.... :scared: :unsure:

http://www.hotelpoint.com/home_images/madrid.jpg
http://www.sacoapartments.co.uk/images/cities/35/night.jpg

Official website in English
http://www.madrid-open.com/site/start

Enjoy guys! :wavey:

Edit: here's the draw typed out for those who prefer it this way.

[1] Nadal vs BYE
Melzer vs Montanes
Kohlschreiber vs Almagro
Granollers vs [13] Cilic

[12] Ferrer vs Q
Lopez vs Monaco
Kunitsyn vs Ferrero
BYE vs [7] Verdasco

[3] Djokovic vs BYE
Hernandez vs Vassallo Arguello
Seppi vs Q
Querrey vs [15] Stepanek

[9] Tsonga vs Safin
Ljubicic vs Q
Mathieu vs Q
BYE vs [8] Simon

[5] Del Potro vs BYE
Ancic vs Berdych
Chardy vs Acasuso
Q vs [11] Wawrinka

[16] Robredo vs Kiefer
Tipsarevic vs Fish
Bolelli vs Q
BYE vs [4] Murray

[6] Roddick vs BYE
Q vs Gulbis
Schuettler vs Serra
Troicki vs [10] Davydenko

[14] Blake vs Hanescu
Karlovic vs Benneteau
Soderling vs Andreev
BYE vs [2] Federer

And here's the pdf file. http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2009/1536/mds.pdf

Getta
05-06-2009, 08:59 AM
Winner.

Minn
05-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Go Maria! :rocker2:

I'll join Getta in saying win.

tennizen
05-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Maria:yeah:

QF I hope

wildegirl05
05-06-2009, 02:14 PM
well done maria :bigclap:

i will reserve my pick till most people pick the draw comes out :dance:

Xristos
05-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Put me down for win.

DERO
05-06-2009, 08:34 PM
win

scoobs
05-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Has Rafa withdrawn?

JolánGagó
05-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Well done Rafa! That tourney is worth nothing, let Tiriac's 33 children play instead.

sphiie
05-07-2009, 11:28 AM
yes! he took the right decision.
better he will prepare RG, better his shape and game will be!

Vamos Rafa!

MariaV
05-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Has Rafa withdrawn?

There's still no official news. He was supposed to lnad in Madrid 12.40 local time and have some Nike promo event today. I guess we'll know soon.
So guys, do you think him skipping Madrid and not playing 3 weeks before RG is good or bad? Of course it's not like he's gonna lose RG first round because of being too rusty but would it not be better to have some real match practice before and you never know with the points later on, even if he doesn't need them that badly now. And it's not like he's been exhausted by the 3 clay court tournaments he's won. I hope I didin't jinx anything. :tape:

rafa_maniac
05-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Considering how packed together the grass schedule is aswell right after RG I think a few weeks off before hand is possibly a very good idea. He doesn't need to play Madrid, he's already achieved what he did last year in the RG lead up, and his rankings lead is good to say the least.

sphiie
05-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Considering how packed together the grass schedule is aswell right after RG I think a few weeks off before hand is possibly a very good idea. He doesn't need to play Madrid, he's already achieved what he did last year in the RG lead up, and his rankings lead is good to say the least.

:yeah:

MariaV
05-07-2009, 03:08 PM

But as I said, you never know with the points, I as a greedy person say you can never have enough ... ranking points I mean. ;)

Well, the crisis seems to be averted, for now at least I mean. :D Rafa's back on the players' list. Madrid website! But else do you want from the mobsters! :rolleyes:

tangerine_dream
05-07-2009, 05:08 PM
What's the news? Is Rafa still playing?

kaylee
05-07-2009, 06:34 PM
On his website he says he is and he is listed on the tourny website too but hey who knows? He has a lot of respect for the tournament in Spain so I would think it highly unlikely he would pull out.

rafa_maniac
05-07-2009, 06:35 PM
But as I said, you never know with the points, I as a greedy person say you can never have enough ... ranking points I mean.

Oh, I understand completely. The points record is something to think about after all :devil:

Foxy
05-07-2009, 08:30 PM
I am unpleasantly surprised some of you thought he was going to skip Madrid judging only by some stupid website mistake (website update/test or whatever it was).

l_mac
05-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Looks like he's had a haircut :mad:

Cloudygirl
05-07-2009, 09:54 PM
wow that is really short for him. Not impressed.

acionescu
05-07-2009, 09:59 PM
:mad: :fiery:

Castafiore
05-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Wow...that's too short, Rafa. :mad::o

l_mac
05-07-2009, 10:31 PM
In the airport vid I saw on vb his hair looked normal :confused: Can he have got it cut since he has been in Madrid? :retard: Why? :awww:

edit: and, in the training video, in one shot he looks like Fed from behind :mad: (neck up, obvs)

Cloudygirl
05-07-2009, 10:33 PM
he is trying to look like Rogi. First the clothes and now the hair.

JolánGagó
05-07-2009, 10:46 PM
too serious.

l_mac
05-07-2009, 11:31 PM
-qJWVfXTz2c

OLT4Cvr_9E8

Another vid from Marca http://www.marca.com/2009/05/07/tenis/masters_1000/1241724595.html

DhammaTiger
05-08-2009, 01:31 AM
Thanks Linda for the pics and vids :yeah: I predict winner :)

Jōris
05-08-2009, 03:04 AM
r2

MariaV
05-08-2009, 08:21 AM
edit: and, in the training video, in one shot he looks like Fed from behind :mad: (neck up, obvs)

Thanks Linda. And really, WTF is this? :mad: :fiery: Does he really want to be a Fed clone? :rolleyes: :help: :tape:

JolánGagó
05-08-2009, 10:00 AM
All this Federer mimicking is highly annoying.

BTW there is no limits to the ridiculousness of exhos, I thought I'd seen everything after the battle of surfaces :rolleyes:

Metis
05-08-2009, 10:05 AM
The hair looks OK to me.

He looks so grumpy in the photos. :awww: Maybe the hairdresser told him he's losing too much hair. :scared:

:lol:

Metis
05-08-2009, 10:17 AM
:rocker2:

How far will Rafa go in Madrid? (1000 points up for grabs!)

1st - Bye
2nd - Arend
3rd -
QF - tennizen
SF -
F -
W - :bibcry:, adee-gee, cmurray, DERO, DhammaTiger, Ex Lion Tamer, Getta, Minn, Xristos

MariaV
05-08-2009, 11:15 AM
About the new venue if someone's interested.

Madrid Opens (and Closes) a Magic Box

By CHRISTOPHER CLAREY
Published: May 8, 2009

Center Court at Wimbledon, Roland Garros stadium in Paris, the Foro Italico in Rome and Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne now have company in Spain.

It is time to add La Caja Magica to the grand tour of tennis showplaces. The new, avant-garde home of the combined men’s and women’s event in Madrid is an architectural achievement. It features three main courts with retractable roofs, all in the same arena, and it is a shape-shifting statement of the Spanish capital’s ongoing ambition to become a nexus for international sport.

“A tennis Taj Mahal,” Ion Tiriac, owner of the Madrid tournament, said of the arena. :rolleyes:

“La Caja Magica” is Spanish for “The Magic Box,” although the origins of the nickname for the main arena in the Manzanares Park Tennis Center are French. The architect, Dominique Perrault, used the term “La Boîte Magique” for his successful proposal for the tennis complex.

“It’s a box that transforms itself constantly — closed, open or illuminated,” Perrault said in a telephone interview last week.

The box’s three adjustable roofs are its signature feature, giving Madrid instant bragging rights over any other tennis tournament. Melbourne Park, home of the Australian Open, has two stadiums with retractable roofs. Wimbledon, no longer finding rain delays quaint, is about to inaugurate a translucent, retractable roof over its venerable Centre Court.

But the roofs at the Caja Magica, which can open or close in 20 minutes, are a step beyond in that they are all independent elements of the same structure and, unlike Melbourne’s roofs, they do not simply slide. They also are configured to be lifted in the manner of a box lid, which can make the top of Perrault’s box look like kinetic sculpture.

“We can be 100 percent outdoors, and in that case, the roof slides,” Perrault said. “And then there are these intermediate positions that are very comfortable and that give the feeling of being outdoors but also protect the courts from the wind.”

“The box is also not constructed with walls,” he added. “It’s constructed with a metal casing that acts like a big curtain that lets the air pass through but stops the sun and the wind and also the rain. At night, the box is a magic lantern. The light comes from the interior of the building, and then, at that moment, it lights up the entire curtain and the facade disappears, and we see the structures of the stadium inside.”

The stadium court seats approximately 12,500 and has been named for Manolo Santana, the tournament director and former Spanish men’s champion. The second court seats approximately 5,000 and has been named for Arantxa Sánchez Vicario, the former Spanish women’s champion. Court Three seats 3,000 and might already be named for Rafael Nadal if Nadal were not still in his prime. Haaahaa, Court THREE named after Rafa, I don't think so. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There are also four other match courts outside as part of the larger complex, with the Caja Magica linked to the surrounding neighborhoods by a pedestrian pathway.

Perrault, 56, is no stranger to bold and symbolic projects. He was a youngster by architects’ standards in 1989 when, still in his 30s, he won the competition to design the new French National Library in Paris. His four high-rise towers on the left bank of the Seine did not lack for dissenters, but he has become one of the leaders in his field and has taken on everything from a theater in Japan to a hotel in Barcelona to the Olympic pool and velodrome in Berlin, which, until now, was his most prominent sports-related project.

He sounds eager to do more. “I think an arena or stadium is one of the only places in a city where a crowd can experience an event emotionally and physically in a live context,” Perrault said. “There is no Internet, no television, none of these information systems that externalize the event.”

“We are physically there, from the moment when the goal is scored or the first ball hit,” he added. “There is a before and after. We live it. There is suspense, real suspense. That is something that is becoming rarer in our society, where so much information circulates and we don’t often experience events in such a personal manner anymore. I think stadiums are places where we have this feeling we are in the moment.”

To reach this moment required seven years of planning and approximately €180 million of public funds, provided with the Olympic bids for 2012 and now 2016 in mind.

“In tennis, I like to steal a Formula One analogy and say that we’ve drafted off the Olympic movement to an extent,” said Larry Scott, head of the WTA Tour, whose circuit now has a new stadium in Beijing for another of its top-tier events because of the 2008 Olympics there.

As the confluence of events would have it, the International Olympic Committee task force that is assessing each of the four candidates for 2016 visited Madrid this week, just as the Caja Magica opened and Perrault confessed to having “le trac” — jitters — as he shared the moment Prime Minister, José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero and the Madrid mayor, Alberto Ruiz-Gallardón.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/09/sports/tennis/09iht-SRMAGIC.html?ref=tennis

acionescu
05-08-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm strangely unexcitated about this event. And the shameless overhype puts me to :zzz: and alienates me even further.
I'm waiting for the draw :yawn:

extremaduratenis
05-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Hola!
Tengo disponibles entradas para las semis (una de mañana y otra de tarde), categoria 2. Las vendo al precio de taquilla, ya que no podre ir. Si alguien esta interesad@, por favor, escribid a rivastenis@hotmail.com
Por otra parte, si alguien va el jueves también puede escribirme para quedar, ya que voy solo
Gracias

cmurray
05-08-2009, 04:54 PM
:shrug: I don't think his hair is so bad.

cmurray
05-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Metis, put me down for the win. :D

kaylee
05-08-2009, 06:23 PM
I like his short hair, when it gets all sweaty it looks not so good, shorter is nice plus it gets really humid in Madrid so maybe that is why besides we all get our hair cut why not Rafa?

shawshank
05-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Quite good draw. The only thing I would change is Verdasco in quarters. Nando may be very motivated in his lovely Madrid. The rest is ok. Djokovic will be tired and Murray I think will have a good tournament after poor Rome. So it's good to have Nole on Rafa's side.

The draw is here http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2009/1536/mds.pdf

born_on_clay
05-08-2009, 08:42 PM
I predict a massive win , so Metis put me down for the win :)

MariaV
05-08-2009, 09:35 PM
OK guys, I'll put the draw in the first post in a minute. Meanwhile check out the video from the Royal reception in Madrid today, so that's why Rafa cut his hair yesterday. ;) :lol:

Credit to Reyes from VB for uploading. :hatoff:
kwHt78xED44

acionescu
05-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Letizia's dress is nice.I'm not even going to comment on Rafa's **** :ignore:

MariaV
05-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Letizia's dress is nice.I'm not even going to comment on Rafa's **** :ignore:

He could've combed it better but doesn't he look cute? He always looks so cute. :hearts: :inlove:

acionescu
05-08-2009, 09:53 PM
It's a disaster :hug:

Minn
05-09-2009, 12:06 AM
The hair looks OK to me.

:shrug: I don't think his hair is so bad.

I agree with you two. I liked it longer, but I like it this way too.

LinkMage
05-09-2009, 02:15 AM
I predict WIN. :zzz:

wilmar
05-09-2009, 02:37 AM
WIN for me too...put that Masters #16 in your pocket, Rafa!

rafa_maniac
05-09-2009, 08:25 AM
That haircut is far too short :mad:

And WIN.

nashty
05-09-2009, 10:12 AM
WIN please.

MariaV
05-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Uh oh, the pression.... :scared: :unsure:
My prediction is WIN.

And Rafa's hair is OK. :p

Foxy
05-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I like the haircut. He will have to carry less weight on his knees. :haha: VAMOS.

sphiie
05-09-2009, 02:15 PM
I love his haircut too! Not too short, not too long! it makes him younger ^^

He should win in Madrid but who knows... anything can happen, also against the king of clay?? no i can't imagine this :)

Princesspts
05-09-2009, 02:34 PM
MIT: Win

Boarder35m
05-09-2009, 03:06 PM
I never posted in a tournament thread before, I would say Rafa will win Madrid and I must say I like his new haircut :p

Foxy
05-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Put me down for a BIG FAT WIN.

Snoo Foo
05-09-2009, 04:26 PM
WIN

:scared:

Minn
05-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Snoo! What's with the :scared:? I was expecting a :zzz: from you. Have you been converted?

acionescu
05-09-2009, 08:00 PM
QF Rafito, please tank to Nando/Ferru :inlove:

l_mac
05-09-2009, 11:53 PM
Rafa will play on Tuesday night (apparently)

cmurray
05-10-2009, 12:34 AM
Nice sig, Linda. :D

Aenea
05-10-2009, 01:54 PM
QF Rafito, please tank

Ditto.
Why should he push himself in Madrid when RG is just around the corner.

tangerine_dream
05-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Win for me, Metis.

Aenea
05-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Rafa will play on Tuesday night (apparently)

Probably not. Because of that stupid Montanes :( Rafa will have to play his R2 match on Wednesday.

l_mac
05-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Probably not. Because of that stupid Montanes :( Rafa will have to play his R2 match on Wednesday.

Yeah I saw the OOP for tomorrow.

Acording to Spanish reports, Rafa wasn't very pleased about playing on Tuesday night (TV station insisting he play 2nd night match) so this is probably better.

MariaV
05-11-2009, 09:33 AM
From the tournament's official site:

Nadal "spectacular" but anything can happen

Rafael Nadal is focusing on adapting to Madrid’s elevated conditions ahead of his opening match at the Madrid Mutua Madrileña Open.

Nadal, who received a bye into the second round, acknowledges that he’s enjoyed a “spectacular” clay court season so far and says he’s keen to continue the run that has seen him win three-consecutive tournaments and 30-consecutive matches on clay (15 this season).

“Let’s see if I can feel good by the time my first match comes around,” said Nadal in a pre-tournament press conference on Saturday.

“I have time to adapt to the environment. With the altitude it’s a little more difficult to control the ball and opponents can do more damage, but the conditions are equal for all.”

Nadal said that if he stays fit he gives himself a good chance of winning a fourth 2009 clay court title, but he’s taking nothing for granted. “Every time I go on the court I am aware that it will be difficult to win and that anything can happen,” said the world No.1.

“You have to be content with yourself and that you have worked hard.”

Nadal said he had no preference as to whether he played first round foes Alberto Montanes or Jurgen Melzer in the second round saying, “They are both good players, the main thing is for me to play well.”

Invisible
05-11-2009, 10:56 AM
My pick is WIN :yeah:

Aenea
05-11-2009, 12:13 PM
I saw the main courts of the Magic Box and with this my interest in MMMM is covered. Didn't like what I saw. I don't know who designed the Arantxa Sanchez court but because of its cement/concrete walls it looks like being built in a warehouse. If the courts were with blue clay it would look like they were built on the bottom of a swimming pool. Manolo Santana court looks a bit better maybe because it's bigger but still I have the feeling it's an indoor court.

As for MIT I really don't know what to choose. If Rafa wants that title he'll have it. I'm not sure he wants it that's why I'll pick SF. If he pushes for the title :rolleyes: so be it. But if he reaches final he better wins it.

Anyway good luck, Rafa but think on the big picture.

Diorelli
05-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Win for me Metis :dance:

I agree with Aenea on looking at the bigger picture. He doesn't seem very happy with this tournament (not that I blame him) but if there's a tank word in his vocabulary, I think it would be very likely in this tournament.

JolánGagó
05-11-2009, 09:07 PM
I can't believe I haven't predicted. Am I in time? WINNER

Foxy
05-11-2009, 09:11 PM
I think Rafa is exaggerating a little concerning the altitude. It is not that bad. I've played in similar altitude. In fact the altitude will help him with the higher ball bounce and the flat hitters will have hard time to control the ball as it will tend to go out after the shot.

Laba
05-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Winner. :)

scoobs
05-11-2009, 11:40 PM
I saw the main courts of the Magic Box and with this my interest in MMMM is covered. Didn't like what I saw. I don't know who designed the Arantxa Sanchez court but because of its cement/concrete walls it looks like being built in a warehouse. If the courts were with blue clay it would look like they were built on the bottom of a swimming pool. Manolo Santana court looks a bit better maybe because it's bigger but still I have the feeling it's an indoor court.

As for MIT I really don't know what to choose. If Rafa wants that title he'll have it. I'm not sure he wants it that's why I'll pick SF. If he pushes for the title :rolleyes: so be it. But if he reaches final he better wins it.

Anyway good luck, Rafa but think on the big picture.
it's a bit....soulless isn't it...

maybe it will be better with a full house and a great atmosphere but at the moment it all seems very sterile and characterless.

cmurray
05-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Sterile is the perfect word for it, Chris. I don't much like it.

wildegirl05
05-12-2009, 02:25 AM
i'll go with final :scared: :unsure:

Aenea
05-12-2009, 07:37 AM
it's a bit....soulless isn't it...

maybe it will be better with a full house and a great atmosphere but at the moment it all seems very sterile and characterless.

Soulless, yes. I watched few games from Bolelli-Chella match, the stadium was empty and when the players hit the ball it sounded exactly like being played in a big warehouse. I don't like that place. I think even with a stadium full of people it won't be much better.

shawshank
05-12-2009, 12:42 PM
I found something interesting on blog of Polish doubles duo Fyrstneberg and Matkowski:

Zdegustowany Nadal

A co do tego co się tutaj dzieje… no cóż… na razie panuje tu jeden wielki bałagan. Nie wiem czy wynika to z połączeniu turnieju męskiego i żeńskiego, ja nie mam nic przeciwko temu… ale przez to jest po prostu za mało kortów do treningu. A te co już są, są w stanie tragicznym. Wczoraj trenowałem z Francuzem Simonem, graliśmy po treningu Nadala. Rafa jak schodził do szatni powiedział mi, że na takim korcie to nie grał od czasu jak miał 12 lat. Mówił, że wszędzie są dziury i bardzo duże ryzyko kontuzji, więc wolał skończyć po 30 minutach.

It says that Nadal is completly disgusted and there is one big mess in Madrid. There are not enough courts to practice and yestarday Fyrstenberg had a practice session with Simon on the same court Nadal had a practice session before. They had a small chat and Nadal told Fyrstenberg that he hasn't played on such a bad court since he was 12. Nadal said that there are holes everywhere and the risk of the injury is huge. This is why Nadal finished the training completly pissed off after 30 minutes.

For me this Madrid is really terrible. I don't like even the courts. They are so 'cold', I don't feel the amtospehere of the tennis tournament.
And now I am really starting to believe that Rafa will tank in this tournament.

acionescu
05-12-2009, 01:40 PM
It looks and sounds worse than Paris-Bercy's second court :(
Actually the old MMMs had a very nice atmosphere for an indoor tournement but still rather desorganised. Remember the water hose incident? :rolls:

MariaV
05-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Then Rafa can easily tank it. :D
Btw I don't like the new Madrid venue either from what I've seen on TV. :shrug:

l_mac
05-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Rafa will play at 4pm CET tomorrow (allegedly)

star
05-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Oh my gosh. I nearly forgot AGAIN! This is why I can't play TT -- not that the chatter about it isn't absolutely breathtakingly fascinating. ;)

Anyway Winner. But tanking is good too. :)

star
05-12-2009, 07:14 PM
I found something interesting on blog of Polish doubles duo Fyrstneberg and Matkowski:

Zdegustowany Nadal

A co do tego co się tutaj dzieje… no cóż… na razie panuje tu jeden wielki bałagan. Nie wiem czy wynika to z połączeniu turnieju męskiego i żeńskiego, ja nie mam nic przeciwko temu… ale przez to jest po prostu za mało kortów do treningu. A te co już są, są w stanie tragicznym. Wczoraj trenowałem z Francuzem Simonem, graliśmy po treningu Nadala. Rafa jak schodził do szatni powiedział mi, że na takim korcie to nie grał od czasu jak miał 12 lat. Mówił, że wszędzie są dziury i bardzo duże ryzyko kontuzji, więc wolał skończyć po 30 minutach.

It says that Nadal is completly disgusted and there is one big mess in Madrid. There are not enough courts to practice and yestarday Fyrstenberg had a practice session with Simon on the same court Nadal had a practice session before. They had a small chat and Nadal told Fyrstenberg that he hasn't played on such a bad court since he was 12. Nadal said that there are holes everywhere and the risk of the injury is huge. This is why Nadal finished the training completly pissed off after 30 minutes.

For me this Madrid is really terrible. I don't like even the courts. They are so 'cold', I don't feel the amtospehere of the tennis tournament.
And now I am really starting to believe that Rafa will tank in this tournament.

This sounds very, very bad. :( Not just for Rafa, but everyone. Well, Rafa already isn't happy about this tournament, so probably things irritate him even more than they would normally.

The whole altitude thing is puzzling to me. Madrid is only 2,000 ft. 0k. 2188 ft. But that is not so very high, I don't think. Is it really enough to have such a big effect on the ball? They say at IW the ball flies faster. Is it even faster in Madrid.

I live at 4,000 ft -- which isn't so very high. I mean there's really no effect from altitude (unless you have a red blood cell condition) until around 8 or 9 thousand feet. But, again, I don't hit tennis bals for a living.

Las Vegas is just a little under Madrid and it's in the desert. I guess Nadal will skip that MM tourney. :)

shawshank
05-13-2009, 11:58 AM
This time I really don't know what to pick, but I will still go with a win.
Champion for me.

Metis
05-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Update! :D

1st - Bye
2nd - Arend
3rd -
QF - acionescu, Aenea, Evita, tennizen
SF -
F - Metis, wildegirl05
W - :bibcry:, adee-gee, Boarder35m, born on clay, cmurray, DERO, DhammaTiger, Diorelli, Ex Lion Tamer, Foxy, Getta, Invisible, JolanGago, Laba, LinkMage, MariaV, Minn, nashty, Princesspts, rafa maniac, Ria, shawshank, SnooFoo, star, tangerine dream, wilmar, Xristos

-Evita-
05-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Win is too boring so I'm going for QF :cool:

Ria
05-13-2009, 02:00 PM
MIT: Winner :)

Aenea
05-13-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm changing my pick to QF don't want Rafa losing to Novak right before RG. If he is to lose better be to some of the fellow Spaniards :rolleyes: than to Novak.

MariaV
05-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Rafa won his first match vs Jürgen Melzer in front of Queen Sofia 6-3 6-1. :D
The match lasted just 2 minutes over an hour. Kohlschreiber next.

Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open
Madrid, SpainMay 13, 2009

Nadal Eases Past Melzer; Kohlschreiber Ousts Cilic

Reigning ATP World Tour Champion Rafael Nadal opened his account for a second Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open title with a crushing 6-3, 6-1 victory over Austrian Jurgen Melzer on Wednesday at the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 clay-court tennis tournament. The Spaniard was watched on Manolo Santana court by Queen Sofia of Spain and Real Madrid star Raul, together with club manager Juande Ramos.
The 22-year-old Nadal improved his phenomenal clay-court record to 31 matches unbeaten, including 17 match wins this season. His last loss on the crushed brick came against Juan Carlos Ferrero in the second round of ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Rome in May 2008. The left-hander also improved his record against his fellow left-handers and has now won 20 straight matches since falling to Chris Guccione in the first round of Sydney in January 2007, when he retired at 5-6 due to injury.

Melzer managed to contain Nadal for his first three service games of the match, at which point the Spaniard stepped up a gear to break serve twice in the seventh and ninth games – courtesy of three Melzer double faults in the latter - to close out a 6-3 one-set lead. Two more service breaks in the second set secured Nadal’s 39th victory of the season after just 61 minutes.

"I think it´s been a very positive debut, at first it was hard for me to break but he made two mistakes and I was able to recover and I think I´ve had a good game," said Nadal. "I think I played at the correct level for the first day and when you win 6-1 well that´s a good sign."

Nadal is chasing his 16th ATP World Tour Masters 1000 trophy, which would take him to just one title behind Andre Agassi – who amassed 17 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 trophies in his 20-year career. He has added a further three to his collection already this season, with victories in Indian Wells (d. Murray) and in Monte-Carlo and Rome – where he defeated Novak Djokovic in the final on both occasions.

The Mallorca native captured the title in the Spanish capital with a dramatic five-set victory over Ivan Ljubicic in 2005, when the tournament was staged on indoor hard court in October. He has also reached the quarter-finals or better on three further occasions, including a semi-final showing (l. to Simon) last year.

Nadal takes a 4-0 career lead into his third-round clash with German Philipp Kohlschreiber, who ousted Croatian No. 13 seed Marin Cilic 6-1, 6-7(5), 7-6(2).

"[It will be] difficult, he is a hard hitter, his backhand as well as his forehand," said Nadal of Kohlschreiber. "My idea for tomorrow is to play safe with my serve and hopefully try to get my serve to win without too many problems and wait for the rest to happen. You have to be aggressive, that´s what the court demands of you."
/.../
He said about facing Nadal next: "What I want is to go out on the court tomorrow, to enjoy myself and have fun and try my best. If I only have one chance, I have to take that chance because against him you don’t get any more - maybe one, maybe none - so I will do my best to fight tomorrow for every point and, of course, I’ll have a lot of fun on the court."

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/1/en/news/newsarticle_3654.asp

MariaV
05-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Post-match on-court interview already on YT. :worship: :bowdown:

cqMjiqYs6wU

MariaV
05-13-2009, 08:08 PM
And the interviews on tennistv.com

in English
http://www.tennistv.com/page/TennisTV/TournamentInterviews/MadridMen/0,,11444~1656996,00.html

in Spanish
http://www.tennistv.com/page/TennisTV/TournamentInterviews/MadridMen/0,,11444~1657100,00.html

Aenea
05-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Thank you, Maria :wavey:

Rafa - Phil tomorrow 1st match (8PM) of the night session

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2009/1536/op.pdf

Metis
05-13-2009, 09:33 PM

1st - Bye
2nd - Arend
3rd -
SF -
F - Metis, wildegirl05
W - :bibcry:, adee-gee, Boarder35m, born on clay, cmurray, DERO, DhammaTiger, Diorelli, Ex Lion Tamer, Foxy, Getta, Invisible, JolanGago, Laba, LinkMage, MariaV, Minn, nashty, Princesspts, rafa maniac, Ria, shawshank, SnooFoo, star, tangerine dream, wilmar, Xristos

Tsk, tsk, tsk Arend, not again!!! back to kindergarten!

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/fail-owned-my-first-fail.jpg?w=500&h=375

Jōris
05-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Tsk, tsk, tsk Arend, not again!!! back to kindergarten!

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/fail-owned-my-first-fail.jpg?w=500&h=375

My second fail. We can ask the teacher if we can sit next to each other.

tennizen
05-14-2009, 01:53 PM

:rolls: I figured you would say something like that

Jōris
05-14-2009, 03:03 PM
:rolls: I figured you would say something like that

You saying I'm predictable?

MariaV
05-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Uhmm, on TV there was news that Rafa got walkover to the quarterfinals.
The tournament official site is a total mess though. :rolleyes:
Edit: Kohlschreiber has leg injury.

Seville
05-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Fernando Verdasco next.

darkdesigns
05-15-2009, 07:56 PM
I think, like most of us here, Rafa will go all the way.

Rafael Nadal Profile (http://www.allsportspeople.com/tennis/people/Rafael_Nada)

Metis
05-15-2009, 08:02 PM

:lol: I don't think that would be good for you. I am a champion at FAIL, I would be a bad influence. :D

Metis
05-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Nadal-Verdasco 6-4 7-5 :D

1st - Bye
2nd - Arend
3rd -
SF -
F - Metis, wildegirl05

acionescu, Aenea, Evita, tennizen: your faith has FAILed you :p

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/fail-owned-god-love-fail.jpg?w=375&h=500

born_on_clay
05-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Vamos Rafa !
For the title !

MariaV
05-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Well, that was some match vs Verdasco. :lol:

Rafa's semis vs Djokovic are first up at 4 pm local time tomorrow.

Here the TVE/IB3 news reports after the win over Melzer on Wednesday.
wnYhVrNDayw

And another news report from training and interview with Miguel Angel, dedicated to Cheryl. ;)

09qTk6LaEpk

TVE report before Rafa and Fer quarters.

oSpTHKCVThE

Seville
05-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Rafa has lost 1st set :awww:

star
05-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Rafa has lost 1st set :awww:

:hug: You should join us in the chat thread to cheer.

Aenea
05-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Nadal-Verdasco 6-4 7-5 :D

acionescu, Aenea, Evita, tennizen: your faith has FAILed you :p

True :awww: I should have stuck with SF but I didn't want Rafa losing to Nole right now :sad: He should have lost yesterday and go for some rest instead of playing Djokovic/Del Potro/Rogi and hurt himself in the process :scared:

Pls Rafa if you are hurt just let it go home crowd or no.

Seville
05-16-2009, 05:52 PM
:hug: You should join us in the chat thread to cheer.

Hi,star. I'm at the Magic Box;)

Rafa has just won 2nd set.

Five
05-16-2009, 06:01 PM
He just survived the 2nd set. He needs to use this momentum in his favour. Vamos! :rocker2:

Swiss Mountain
05-16-2009, 07:03 PM
nadal is so lucky!
kine please!

nashty
05-16-2009, 07:27 PM
what a match that was! INSANE! insane TB!

Now do your thing Rafa for the final.

Metis
05-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Nadal-Djokovic 3-6 7-6 7-6

EPIC WIN!!!

1st - Bye
2nd - Arend
3rd -
SF -
F - Metis, wildegirl05

Metis
05-16-2009, 07:47 PM
We narrowly escaped a massive MIT FAIL :scared: :scared: :scared:

Foxy
05-16-2009, 08:12 PM
This is SPARTA!!!!!

On a serious note, Rafa played like crap the first half of the match. I see why he wasn't inspired to play in Madrid. I don't expect anything from tomorrow.

Anyway, Good luck, Spartan!

Aenea
05-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Rafa won :eek:

Congratulations :bigclap:

Are we going to have another Chennai'08/Hamburg'07 final :awww:

cobalt60
05-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Congrats Rafa fans :hatoff: Great SF and this kid is heading for being the greatest player of all time!

Jelena_78
05-16-2009, 08:36 PM
What a match! :eek:

Congratulations :worship:
Though Novak was closest ever this time, Nadal is still mission impossible for him on clay.

alisia
05-16-2009, 09:13 PM
What an amazing match from both Rafa & Novak :worship: of course I'm glad Rafa won :worship:

Foxy
05-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Any info about why did the need the tape above his right knee?
I missed that part of the match. Thanks.

Grenouille
05-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Who was that kid at the end ?

born_on_clay
05-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Sensentional
Stunning
Epic
Vamos

Minn
05-16-2009, 09:51 PM
We narrowly escaped a massive MIT FAIL :scared: :scared: :scared: Metis, are you still tabulating the points? :lol: Oh, and looking for a good "win" picture, I hope. ;)

Who was that kid at the end ? Apparently a cousin, but I don't know if that's been confirmed.

the_natural
05-16-2009, 09:52 PM
3 words: Rafa is F@#$ED!
And yes its gonna be hamburg 07 all over, hopefuly NOT chennai cos that was too embarassing but it seems every year rafa has to lose a horrible match due to fatigue.

Expect federer to play nothing to lose, rafa to be dead on his feet, federer full of confidence for RD then maybe even take rafa out there if hes under enough pressure.

This is the match that will turn federers year around, its nice to have organisers fix ur draw so u only play hard court players and a sasquatch to make the finals

Seville
05-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Any info about why did the need the tape above his right knee?
I missed that part of the match. Thanks.

He is injured. He was given an injection and painkillers before the match.

cmurray
05-16-2009, 10:13 PM

:bigcry:

Seville
05-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Look at his face.

http://www.libertaddigital.com/c.php?op=thumb&id=fotos/noticias/nadal-madrid-2-160509.jpg&x=500&y=0

Jelena_78
05-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Look at his face.

http://www.libertaddigital.com/c.php?op=thumb&id=fotos/noticias/nadal-madrid-2-160509.jpg&x=500&y=0

:awww:

dorkino
05-16-2009, 10:47 PM
We narrowly escaped a massive MIT FAIL :scared: :scared: :scared:
This is SPARTA!!!!!

On a serious note, Rafa played like crap the first half of the match. I see why he wasn't inspired to play in Madrid. I don't expect anything from tomorrow.

Anyway, Good luck, Spartan!

Yep. Rafa Played like crap for the first half of the match. When was the last time he made 50 UEs in a match. Novak was the more precise player and the more aggressive in most times of the match ,but Thank GOD , Rafa managed to keep his nerves till the end and was the one who won the big points. Actually he's not playing his best this tourney and may be it's a combination of the court surface and fatigue. Hopefully he gets his health and interesting level sooon.

And i don't expect anything tomorrow either.

Seville
05-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Who was that kid at the end ?

http://estaticos02.marca.com/albumes/2009/05/16/master1000_madrid_nadal_djokovic/1242501348_extras_albumes_0.jpg

According to the Spanish press, the kid was among the public and jumped into the court to congratulate Rafa.

nashty
05-17-2009, 03:08 AM
Are we going to have another Chennai'08/Hamburg'07 final :awww:

Can't we have something like the AO final instead?

Hamburg '07 is painful. Much so Chennai '08:sad:

Aenea
05-17-2009, 07:52 AM
Can't we have something like the AO final instead?

I wish :D but look at Seville's posts above :sobbing: and I read on the ATP site the match went on for 4 hours. Are you still a believer?

Rafa shouldn't play this SF let alone F, he should have lost in the QF and rest.

Good luck today, Rafa :inlove: May the force be with you.

Metis, only now I saw you picked Final :) Pls, do not be mad with me but I hope today the FAIL force is with you again and my hopes for a Rafa win raise by a whole 20% and is 20.05% now :D

Foxy
05-17-2009, 08:10 AM

Damn.
Before the match? So he has been already injured? He had easy matches, walkover and more than a week rest I don't get it. With RG and Wimby around the corner...

MariaV
05-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Metis, only now I saw you picked Final :) Pls, do not be mad with me but I hope today the FAIL force is with you again and my hopes for a Rafa win raise by a whole 20% and is 20.05% now :D

Phew, I'm a little bit relieved already. ;) Metis has to fail again, no? :D :awww:

And I don't know, was it a good idea to keep on playing without those knee support tapes?!? They could've start using them again in Madrid. :o :(

Metis
05-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Metis, are you still tabulating the points? :lol: Oh, and looking for a good "win" picture, I hope. ;)

Always! :D I don't take my duties lightly. :(

:awww: :sad:

http://estaticos02.marca.com/albumes/2009/05/16/master1000_madrid_nadal_djokovic/1242501348_extras_albumes_0.jpg

According to the Spanish press, the kid was among the public and jumped into the court to congratulate Rafa.

:rolls: great photo!

Phew, I'm a little bit relieved already. ;) Metis has to fail again, no? :D :awww:

I feel very nervous. I hope my powers of FAIL do not fail me today. :scared: :unsure:

Aenea
05-17-2009, 03:15 PM
I feel very nervous. I hope my powers of FAIL do not fail me today. :scared: :unsure:

:bowdown: :bowdown:

Rafa on my TV :inlove: No straps on the knees :scared: I better go and watch something like Death race or Crank that doesn't take too much thinking.

Vamos, Rafa :scared: :unsure: http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-gen013.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Metis
05-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Nadal-Federer 4-6 4-6 :(

1st - Bye
2nd - Arend
3rd -
SF -
F - Metis, wildegirl05

Historic day for the MIT competition! The Metis FAIL is finally beaten!!! :eek: :speakles: :eek:

:bibcry:, adee-gee, Boarder35m, born on clay, cmurray, DERO, DhammaTiger, Diorelli, Ex Lion Tamer, Foxy, Getta, Invisible, JolanGago, Laba, LinkMage, MariaV, Minn, nashty, Princesspts, rafa maniac, Ria, shawshank, SnooFoo, star, tangerine dream, wilmar, Xristos: I bet you didn't expect that, did you? :haha:

This must be a painful FAIL. May you forget it quickly :hug:

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/fail-owned-memory-ad-fail.jpg?w=454&h=395

Metis, wildegirl05: Congrats!!!! :aparty: :woohoo: You beat them all and you looked good doing it! :D

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-10/20/xinsrc_322100520111943777804.jpg

Foxy
05-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Nice tankjob. I will take it.
Let's hope Rafa takes a good rest and that he hasn't worsen the injury much.

MariaV
05-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Now that was a MEGAFAIL!!!!!!!! :tape: :bigcry: :crying2: :sobbing: :bolt:

Langers
05-17-2009, 05:37 PM
:( So disappointed. Not because he lost, but because he lost to Federer and all his fans will be boasting so much.

Play this yesterday and Nadal wins, end of story.

EVERYTHING was loaded in Federer's favour today, so not at all surprised he won. Disappointed though. :(

cobalt60
05-17-2009, 05:38 PM
:awww: Rafa fans. He was just a bit off today. In some ways I now know he is human;) But just think no pressure heading into RG :yeah: where I think you will all see him win another title!

Metis
05-17-2009, 05:41 PM
:awww: Rafa fans. He was just a bit off today. In some ways I now know he is human;) But just think no pressure heading into RG :yeah: where I think you will all see him win another title!

You said he would become the GOAT and he lost. :(

Jinxer! :mad: :armed:

Langers
05-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Although I nust say, huge warm fuzzy feeling knowing there's no way Federer will beat him at the FO!

I just hope Djokovic is on Fed's side though. :o

cobalt60
05-17-2009, 05:49 PM
You said he would become the GOAT and he lost. :(

Jinxer! :mad: :armed:

:bolt: but first :ras: and then :bolt:

Foxy
05-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Now that was a MEGAFAIL!!!!!!!! :tape: :bigcry: :crying2: :sobbing: :bolt:

Could have been worse, you know.

MariaV
05-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open
Madrid, Spain
May 17, 2009

Federer Ends Title Drought In Style

ATP World Tour No. 2 Roger Federer ended his title drought in style on Sunday with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over rival and reigning ATP World Tour Champion Rafael Nadal in the final of the Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open, an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 clay-court tennis tournament.
Four-time former Barclays ATP World Tour Finals Champion Federer earned 1000 South African Airways 2009 ATP Ranking points towards his bid to qualify for the season finale for a seventh time, while Nadal – who is virtually assured of his participation at the O2 Arena in London - received 600 points and €270,000.

The 27-year-old Federer clinched his first ATP World Tour title since winning his hometown title in Basel (d. Nalbandian) in October 2008. The Swiss was contesting his 80th tour-level final and improved to a 58-22 lifetime mark after capturing his 15th ATP World Tour Masters 1000 trophy. Only Andre Agassi (17) and Nadal (16) have won more of the coveted shields.

More soon…

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/1/en/news/newsarticle_3698.asp

MariaV
05-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Dedicated to all Tiriac fans. :D ;) :wavey:

Tiriac vows to iron out Madrid teething troubles

MADRID, May 17 (Reuters) - The Madrid Open needs a couple of years to iron out some of the teething troubles that have affected the new combined men's and women's claycourt event this week, according to promoter Ion Tiriac.
Players including Rafael Nadal and Andy Roddick have complained about problems including the poor state of the practice courts, sun reflecting off the metal seating and a lack of space in the dressing rooms.
"It's my fault the courts are not perfect. I hope next year the courts are going to be perfect," Tiriac said at a news conference on Sunday.
"There was also a big discussion about dressing rooms. Up to a certain point they are right. My fault again," he added.
"Give me two years and we'll discuss once again. Definitely whatever is wrong just throw it back to me."
The event in the Spanish capital combines a men's ATP tour Masters Series with one of the WTA's four premier mandatory tournaments.
Up until this year the men would play at the Hamburg Masters this week before heading to the French Open but the event has been downgraded and moved to July.
Tiriac pointed to Saturday's dramatic semi-final between Nadal and Novak Djokovic, the longest three-set match in a Masters Series event, as evidence of the Madrid Open's success.
"I am more than 50 years in tennis and I haven't seen a match on clay like the one yesterday," he said. "It was an unbelievably high quality match."
(Reporting by Iain Rogers, editing by Justin Palmer;
To query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/feedarticle/8512027

MariaV
05-17-2009, 06:46 PM
For everyone to feel better tonight. :hug: :hug:

Rafa is my idol, says grand slam-seeking Safina

MADRID, May 17 (Reuters) - World number one Dinara Safina is using men's counterpart and claycourt maestro Rafael Nadal as her inspiration as she bids for a first grand slam title at the French Open starting later this month.
The Russian won a second successive claycourt title in Madrid on Sunday when she overpowered Danish teenager Caroline Wozniacki and is hoping to go one better than last year at Roland Garros when she lost in the final to Ana Ivanovic.
World number one Nadal has won four straight French Open crowns and the Spaniard is bidding to become the first player to win all three claycourt Masters events in one year in Sunday's Madrid Open final against Roger Federer.
"At the moment I can say that my idol is Nadal and I am trying to play like him," the 23-year-old, younger sister of former men's number one Marat Safin, told a news conference.
"The truth is I respect him a great deal and I am trying to be at his level."Safina took over the top spot from Serena Williams last month and said her recent success should silence critics who have said she does not deserve to be number one without a grand slam to her name.
Williams, who has won 10 grand slam singles titles, said earlier this month that she still rated herself as the world's best player.
"It was my dream from the beginning, I always believed that I could get it and I was ready for it," Safina said.
"That's why I am enjoying it there and since I became number one I am playing better and better."
She acknowledged there would be more pressure on her to do well in Paris this year.
"I just want to take one match at a time like I always do, give 100 percent effort. Day by day, match by match.
"I think I'm handling it pretty good and I'm playing better than last year." (Reporting by Iain Rogers; Editing by Sonia Oxley; To query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com) Printable version larger | smaller Sport

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/feedarticle/8511986

rafaelita
05-17-2009, 07:11 PM
:( So disappointed. Not because he lost, but because he lost to Federer and all his fans will be boasting so much.

Play this yesterday and Nadal wins, end of story.

EVERYTHING was loaded in Federer's favour today, so not at all surprised he won. Disappointed though. :(

Exactly. All the 'hard work' sort of speak was done by Verdasco and Djoko. I did not see anything special in Federer today; he just finished what the other two started. For me the real battle, the meaningful one was yesterday, against Nole. And imho Nadal shouldn't have played Madrid at all, RG is much more important. It's a shame that so much pressure was put on him to play this tournament.

It annoys me too, the fact that he lost to Federer, but it happened and it's time to move on I guess.
I hope he will fully recuperate and get some rest before heading for Paris.

Eden
05-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Short interview with Rafa after the match:

http://www.tennistv.com/page/TennisTV/TournamentInterviews/MadridMen/0,,11444~1660180,00.html

Eden
05-17-2009, 08:14 PM
http://www.madrid-open.com/media/uploads/noticias/a_rafa_quotes.jpg

Nadal not seeking Slam

Rafael Nadal says he is not looking to achieve the Grand Slam of Australian, French, Wimbledon and US Open titles, despite dominating the first five months of 2009.

Responding to Agassi's suggestion, made this weekend at Wimbledon, that Nadal is set to complete the Slam this year, Nadal said he was still taking the season one match at a time.

"Firstly I'd like to thank Andre for his kind words," said Nadal. "This is not a goal for me right now. My only goal is to practice for the next tournament, I don't think about the Grand Slam, just the next tournament."

Rafa said that Saturday's marathon semifinal probably hadn't helped his court movement in the final of the Mutua Madrileña Madrid Open but complemented Roger Federer on winning the title and ending his 19-match clay court winning streak.

"It's always better to have a one-and-a-half hour semifinal than a four-hour semifinal but somedays it goes one way and somedays it goes the other," said the Spaniard.

"Roger did very well, he played crazy around the court, moved really well. I didn't play my best tennis but he played much better than me."

Nadal said that the result, which ended the run of form that saw him win the titles in Monte Carlo and Rome immediately before Madrid, had no implications for his French Open campaign.

"The important thing about today is that I have 15 Masters Series titles, not 16 Masters Series titles. That is the only important thing about today."

And the tournament top seed, whose head-to-head against Federer now stands at 13-7, said that the disappointing Madrid result didn't tarnish what had been a spectacular clay court season.

"For me the clay court season has been a dream. I've won a lot of matches, titles, I'm winning the race and I've defended a lot of points," said the 22-year-old.

"I am already qualified for the (season-ending) championships in London and that is always a goal. I've had a very good season so far and I'm very happy with how the first five months has gone for me."

Source: http://www.madrid-open.com/site/news/6/3431

Laba
05-17-2009, 11:22 PM
This guy is all class, and it makes it that much harder to watch him lose to Federer who is the complete opposite. I don't mind Nadal losing, he needs losses to continually push and motivate him but losing to Roger? Ugh, I'm just so sick of Federer's attitude and his retarded fans. :o

Minn
05-17-2009, 11:24 PM
:bibcry:, adee-gee, Boarder35m, born on clay, cmurray, DERO, DhammaTiger, Diorelli, Ex Lion Tamer, Foxy, Getta, Invisible, JolanGago, Laba, LinkMage, MariaV, Minn, nashty, Princesspts, rafa maniac, Ria, shawshank, SnooFoo, star, tangerine dream, wilmar, Xristos: I bet you didn't expect that, did you? :haha:

This must be a painful FAIL. May you forget it quickly :hug:

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/fail-owned-memory-ad-fail.jpg?w=454&h=395 First, :bigcry: for Rafa losing.

Second, :rolls: with the Fail!

veyonce
05-18-2009, 02:47 AM
mimi, don't bother with fedtards. Even the ATP tv commentators said that Roger must be jealous that he wasn't a part of the epic match between Rafa & Djokovic when they mentioned Roger commented that the match wasn't that long since both of them take so long in between points.

I would trade this title for the French Open (a repeat of 2007, please). It's really weird to see Federer doing better on a clay court with high altitude rather than the normal. Hope Rafa can have a good rest and preparation for the French Open and grass court season..

Mimi
05-18-2009, 03:17 AM
oh roger really said that? taking too much time between points? if so, then I should not congratulate him, sour grapes again :rolleyes::p

mimi, don't bother with fedtards. Even the ATP tv commentators said that Roger must be jealous that he wasn't a part of the epic match between Rafa & Djokovic when they mentioned Roger commented that the match wasn't that long since both of them take so long in between points.

I would trade this title for the French Open (a repeat of 2007, please). It's really weird to see Federer doing better on a clay court with high altitude rather than the normal. Hope Rafa can have a good rest and preparation for the French Open and grass court season..

veyonce
05-18-2009, 04:52 AM
oh roger really said that? taking too much time between points? if so, then I should not congratulate him, sour grapes again :rolleyes::p

Yup, that's what the 2 ATP tv commentators said when Roger was asked about Rafa & Joker's match being 4 hours long at his post semi press conference. That's why the 2 commentators said he's jealous. Lol.. Apparently he didn't watched the match imo. ;)

1 of them quoted twice Rafa's comments before the start of the tournament that he has this fear that he's afraid that his shots will always be out whenever he hits the ball. They think Rafa is very professional to just bear with it and played his best. They were hoping for a repeat of Aust Open final 09 but when Rafa lost, they said it wasn't a surprise that Roger won easily given that Rafa was tired from the semi-final match. Rafa was just walking up & down the baseline yesterday, he didn't bother to chase balls. Hope his knees are okay. It was nice to see Rafa being gentlemanly and the sight of him removing confetti from Roger's hair was nice.

Mimi
05-18-2009, 05:05 AM
well, veyonce, i hope that roger was saying this in joking form, otherwise it would not be so nice ;). I think basically roger is not a bad person, otherwise he won't be so popular among the peers and fans, just that he sometimes is too frank, just like Hingis ;)

i am happy that our boy is so mature :worship:, lets wish him the best in RG :worship:

Turquoise
05-18-2009, 07:16 AM
Just like to say that Nadal, as always, is gracious in defeat as well as in victory. The loss in the final was just a glitch in an otherwise stellar clay season. Nothing to worry about. As for the semi-final against Djokovic, that was one for the ages. Thanks for the breaktaking performances from both players. :hatoff:

I sincerely hope he will make it to RG #5 - I do have my favourite players, but Nadal always leaves me with a feel-good factor. Good luck!

Foxy
05-18-2009, 07:25 AM
why is this extreme Fedtard allowed to post his/her delusional crap in here? :shrug:

Mods, please ban this moron for desecrating Rafa forum with his/her extreme fedtardism of the lowest possible level, thank you.

Let him enjoy it.
We all know what will happen in a month time.
And please write fedtard in lower case.

As I said before the match Rafa shoudn't give much effort considering the circumstances and if it is not enough for a win then it is OK. It changes nothing. He did that.

Mimi
05-18-2009, 07:31 AM
uncle Toni and rafa should be blamed, they should skip either Barcelona or Madrid, now he is injured and may ruin his chance at RG, foolish uncle and Rafa :mad::mad:

Foxy
05-18-2009, 07:47 AM
uncle Toni and rafa should be blamed, they should skip either Barcelona or Madrid, now he is injured and may ruin his chance at RG, foolish uncle and Rafa :mad::mad:

How are you doing, mimi? :wavey:
Sorry I couldn't good rep you again.

Let's hope for a healthy mid part of the season.

Mimi
05-18-2009, 07:52 AM
Foxy:wavey: don't mind these rep stuff, i love to rep :angel:

not too well, have pains on stomach, guts, back, foot, eyes, and whats more, rafa was losing badly :mad::mad::p

MariaV
05-18-2009, 08:47 AM

I don'ty understand why Rafa didn't just tank the semis to Djokovic but kept on fighting for over 4 hours but then again he doesn't know the word 'tank'. Indeed, now his knees hurt and all RG is in danger. :sad: :tears:

Hope you will feel better soon, Mimi! :hug:

Mimi
05-18-2009, 09:03 AM
:hug::smooch: thank you Maria, i do think rafa fought harder in semi than in final :confused:

lets wish he can recover in time for RG:angel:

Foxy
05-18-2009, 09:06 AM
I love seeing in the "hateful" forum think their hero is back on form and that he knows now Rafa's number. :haha:
The thing I love most in this loss is that Rafa has every right to say again "rog is the favourite now, no? he beat me in Madrid, no? So, he is the favourite." :haha: :haha:

MariaV
05-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Should I rename this thread to someting like "A total mess in Madrid 2009"? :o :scratch:

Here some of the ceremony on youtube. :awww:

8RZxB2sUsiQ&feature=channel_page
m5waQLcIlJU

MariaV
05-18-2009, 09:08 AM
I love seeing in the "hateful" forum think their hero is back on form and that he knows now Rafa's number. :haha:
The thing I love most in this loss is that Rafa has every right to say again "rog is the favourite now, no? he beat me in Madrid, no? So, he is the favourite." :haha: :haha:

Hahaaaaaaaa, MY would get fits again if Rafa said that. :haha: :haha: is MY back in Roger's forum? I need to go & check.

Mimi
05-18-2009, 09:09 AM
lets pray that nole, Davydenko, Monano, Verdasico are all in Roger's quarter and rafa only has easy opponents :devil:

Foxy
05-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Hahaaaaaaaa, MY would get fits again if Rafa said that. :haha: :haha: is MY back in Roger's forum? I need to go & check.

Yeap, rog used some special tactic. Force Raf to wait before the coin toss and choose to receive.
As if rog didn't choose to receive in MC2008. :haha:
rog is so clever.

Castafiore
05-18-2009, 10:00 AM
What a messy trophy ceremony that was. They should have given the men and the women a separate ceremony.

One of the best parts of that is that Roger finally won a tournament and he gets another cookie plate. :rolls: :yeah:

"At the moment I can say that my idol is Nadal and I am trying to play like him," the 23-year-old, younger sister of former men's number one Marat Safin, told a news conference.
"The truth is I respect him a great deal and I am trying to be at his level."
:)

Laba
05-18-2009, 10:35 AM
If only Fed wasn't so smug... I hope he makes the finals in Paris, I think he needs to be humbled again. :)

veyonce
05-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Thought it was weird that Rafa didn't do his usual routine of making his opponents wait before the coin toss. Think he can't wait for the final to be over and go back home...

Rafa's quotes from his press conference:-

"I played four hours on Saturday, so I was tired. But if Roger played just 80 minutes in his semi-final, that's because he was better than me on Saturday."

“I don’t think there is too much to analyse from this defeat,” he said. “He broke my serve twice and that was that, I was on my way home. I don’t think it will make any difference at Roland Garros.”

"I think this (fast clay) favoured Roger today," said Nadal, "He deserved this victory today more. He played well and I wasn't able to be aggressive enough."

"It didn't help that I had to play four hours yesterday. But even if I hadn't I don't know if I would have been able to stop Roger."

:rolleyes: Roger's:-
“I think everything is falling into place. I kind of felt it coming the last few weeks,” Federer, 27, told a news conference.

“This year it looked like other guys might be moving up but I always knew that I was going to get stronger week by week on clay,” he added.

“So it’s a nice feeling and I’m very excited going into Paris now whereas maybe a couple of weeks ago I was still a little bit unsure about my game and not sure whether I could win the French and now that’s changed.”

Federer said Nadal was unlikely to be affected too much by only his fifth defeat on his favoured surface in 155 matches since the start of 2005.

“I snapped his streak at 81 a couple of years ago and it didn’t really bother him too much,” he said, referring to his victory over Nadal in the final of the 2007 Hamburg Masters.

“I don’t think he’s going to take any damage away from this. He’s played so well in Monaco, Barcelona and Rome that this is probably the best claycourt season he’s had."

“So I’m sure he’s going to be rock solid in Paris again.”

MariaV
05-18-2009, 12:30 PM
The interview in Spanish for TVE before ther ceremony. How he does it is beyond me! :worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown: I'd tell everyone to f** off or smth. :o :o :o
W6xFedZgg6o

JolánGagó
05-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Crappiest ever prize ceremony. That thug Tiriac is the anti-Midas, whatever he touches turns into stinky shit. No wonder Rafa was pulling away from him :rolleyes:

Aenea
05-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Well when I saw Rogi coming onto the court yesterday I knew he was going to win and I thought OK, let him, his old already and on the decline of his career so he can have this 1 title. I didn't watch the match and after I read your posts here I remembered why I never liked Federer no matter what a great tennis player he was. This was the last time I felt sorry for him I swear.
Anyway, Madrid is over and I just hope Rafa is OK and he hasn't hurt his body. Wednesday he'll play 1/several exhibition match/es in Paris :mad:
Safina :yeah: I don't like her and she plays some ugly tennis but she likes Rafa so all that I can say is Good luck, Dinara and may you win a GS ASAP.

Foxy
05-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Well when I saw Rogi coming onto the court yesterday I knew he was going to win and I thought OK, let him, his old already and on the decline of his career so he can have this 1 title. I didn't watch the match and after I read your posts here I remembered why I never liked Federer no matter what a great tennis player he was. This was the last time I felt sorry for him I swear.
Anyway, Madrid is over and I just hope Rafa is OK and he hasn't hurt his body. Wednesday he'll play 1/several exhibition match/es in Paris :mad:
Safina :yeah: I don't like her and she plays some ugly tennis but she likes Rafa so all that I can say is Good luck, Dinara and may you win a GS ASAP.

I miss Paris so much. Last year I went there for the first time and watched RG finals days.
This year I will be in London for the first week of Wimby. I hope I bring some luck again.

MariaV
05-18-2009, 08:24 PM
I miss Paris so much. Last year I went there for the first time and watched RG finals days.
This year I will be in London for the first week of Wimby. I hope I bring some luck again.

Hope you bring Rafa luck in London, have fun! :wavey:

tangerine_dream
05-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Can somebody explain to me why Hillary Swank, of all people, was there? Her appearance was so random and looked out of place.

That was a massive fail. Better he loses here than at Roland Garros.

wilmar
05-19-2009, 02:43 AM
I don'ty understand why Rafa didn't just tank the semis to Djokovic but kept on fighting for over 4 hours but then again he doesn't know the word 'tank'. Indeed, now his knees hurt and all RG is in danger. :sad: :tears:

Hope you will feel better soon, Mimi! :hug:

my take on that is the pyschological aspect.

Rafa feels that Nole is his biggest threat on clay at the moment with those tight matches in the previous Masters, and giving him his first win over him on clay b4 RG wouldn't be ideal. So Rafa is determined to stamp his authority right there and then.

After that semi's, Rafa expressed that what he wants was to get to the finals...the rest, he doesn't care...telling, eh?

With Roger, he probably doesn't feels that way, and like one of the Spanish Sports TV said, it is Rafa's belated wedding gift for him ;)

With regards to Rafa's knee, it's his thigh muscle that was treated on court that day. he felt a pull and took some anti-flamatory for it, but it took a while to take effect, so he was worried and being cautious, he couldn't/didn't play his usual game until the medication took effect mid-match. I don't think it will be a cuase for worry. Cheer up! We must be positive for Rafa.

MariaV
05-19-2009, 09:42 AM
my take on that is the pyschological aspect.

Rafa feels that Nole is his biggest threat on clay at the moment with those tight matches in the previous Masters, and giving him his first win over him on clay b4 RG wouldn't be ideal. So Rafa is determined to stamp his authority right there and then.

After that semi's, Rafa expressed that what he wants was to get to the finals...the rest, he doesn't care...telling, eh?

With Roger, he probably doesn't feels that way, and like one of the Spanish Sports TV said, it is Rafa's belated wedding gift for him ;)

With regards to Rafa's knee, it's his thigh muscle that was treated on court that day. he felt a pull and took some anti-flamatory for it, but it took a while to take effect, so he was worried and being cautious, he couldn't/didn't play his usual game until the medication took effect mid-match. I don't think it will be a cuase for worry. Cheer up! We must be positive for Rafa.

Yep, I saw the semis now. You're right about the psychological aspect.
If I were Rafa I would not have played Madrid at all but good nice Rafa just couldn't do it of course. I have a question btw, I know I could check the rules but does anybody know, the players are allowed to miss one Masters 1000 tournament per year without a serious reason like injury, no?

I want to see tears again in three weeks time. Rafa can do the TEARS SLAM this year. :):p

Oh yeah, TEARS SLAM would be something special! :angel: :lick:
Otherwise it would be me crying... :tears:

Aenea
05-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Yep, I saw the semis now. You're right about the psychological aspect.
If I were Rafa I would not have played Madrid at all but good nice Rafa just couldn't do it of course. I have a question btw, I know I could check the rules but does anybody know, the players are allowed to miss one Masters 1000 tournament per year without a serious reason like injury, no?

What the rules say

If eligible to play in one of the Grand Slam or ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournaments, a player must count the points from these tournaments, even if it is 'a zero pointer' because he missed the event. Just as in Formula One and numerous other sports, if a competitor misses a race or an event, he loses his chances to earn points. Players with direct acceptance who do not play an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament will be suspended from a subsequent ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event which will be the next highest point earned ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event within the next 12 months. If an injured player is on-site within the first three days of a tournament to conduct promotional activities over a two day period, a suspension will not be enforced but a 0-pointer will be counted on a player's ranking.

You can see FAQ about the ranking here http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/players/information/rankfaq.asp

For 3rd consecutive year (or maybe 4th :scratch:) Rafa is the first player to qualify for the WTF :bigclap:

http://www.barclaysatpworldtourfinals.com/en/news/nadalqualifies.asp

New pic in his profile

http://www.atpworldtour.com/5/photos/headshots/main/N409_AS.jpg

Mimi
05-19-2009, 10:20 AM
:sobbing: why delete my beautiful post to swiss mountain? :ras:

MariaV
05-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Jeez, so they still have to play all 9 Masters 1000? But didn't they want to make it like 8 tournaments out of 9? That would be much better,

Carlita
05-19-2009, 10:41 AM
:sobbing: why delete my beautiful post to swiss mountain? :ras: that's what you get if you quote a troll mimi ;)

We can all post in here, even non Rafa fans but if you have something to nag about him, save it for General Messages please. The player forums are for the FANS and should be a friendly place to hang out. Of course you can critisize a player, but keep it "nice" :p

MariaV
05-19-2009, 10:41 AM
that's what you get if you quote a troll mimi ;)

We can all post in here, even non Rafa fans but if you have something to nag about him, save it for General Messages please. The player forums are for the FANS and should be a friendly place to hang out. Of course you can critisize a player, but keep it "nice" :p

Thanks Carlita! :wavey: Hope you're doing well. :)

Carlita
05-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks Carlita! :wavey: Hope you're doing well. :):wavey: hey Maria! Im okay thanks :hug:

Mimi
05-19-2009, 10:52 AM
ok, I know, thanks Carlita, my bad English does not allow me to reply better, but this time i think i was winning against Swiss Mountain in this argument, so I was a bit sad, its ok, thank you :angel:

that's what you get if you quote a troll mimi ;)

Mimi
05-19-2009, 10:54 AM
by the way, Carlita, is Moya retired? why didn't see him play? :confused:

Carlita
05-19-2009, 10:58 AM
by the way, Carlita, is Moya retired? why didn't see him play? :confused:Moya had surgery on April 17th, he'll be out for most of the season :sad:

Mimi
05-19-2009, 11:10 AM
sorry for that, but he will bouce back soon :wavey:

i saw him sitting with a beautiful woman during the match of Rafa vs Nando, that woman is very pretty, but however I like Penetta more, she is more natural :angel:

Carlita
05-19-2009, 11:25 AM
sorry for that, but he will bouce back soon :wavey:

i saw him sitting with a beautiful woman during the match of Rafa vs Nando, that woman is very pretty, but however I like Penetta more, she is more natural :angel:That's Carolina his girlfriend. A little less make up wouldnt hurt her :lol:

Mimi
05-19-2009, 11:32 AM
i just wanted to say that, her eyes have too heavy make up:eek:, but I think may be Penetta is more pretty than her if both of them are without make up, coz Penetta still looks pretty when she is without make up:angel:

the graduate
05-20-2009, 07:25 PM
If only Fed wasn't so smug... I hope he makes the finals in Paris, I think he needs to be humbled again. :)
yes he will lose he is not winning RG and he knows it.Rafa lost to him in Stuttgatt but went on to take the title.I want Rafa to make him cry again this time in the centre of Western Europe.:cool:

Getta
05-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Amid all the controversy one thing is certain, idiocy is permanent and incurable.

the graduate
05-21-2009, 01:40 AM
Amid all the controversy one thing is certain, idiocy is permanent and incurable.and your point is:confused:

cmurray
05-21-2009, 01:54 AM
Amid all the controversy one thing is certain, idiocy is permanent and incurable.

:hug: The sooner you come to terms with this, the easier life is. :lol:

Getta
05-21-2009, 01:55 AM
and your point is:confused:

Unless you do your homework, you can't get it... It's a bit like when you were at school.

EDIT: Thanks, Cheryl. :yeah:

05-22-2009, 03:43 AM
:lol: :rolls: Thanks Getta that remark was great :D And sadly always very true :sad: I didn't watch the Final as I could see the defeat coming. Rafa hadn't always seemed focused even in the Tournaments before Madrid. And even with him still being in his early 20's he doesn't seem as fast to me as he used to be--may be that is due to his knees :unsure: But before Rafa seemed always focused and could run down just about every ball hit to him. Now at times he can't get to the ball or even if he gets to the ball he can't make a shot :sad: I hope he will be able to pull out yet another French Open win, but I don't know :unsure:

Mimi
05-22-2009, 04:10 AM
:wavey: Hello Mae

i noticed that too, and am a bit worrying, i think he played better on clay last year, i am not satisfied with his performances, even he won Monte Carlo, Italy and Barcelona, his form is not that great :mad:

:lol: :rolls: Thanks Getta that remark was great :D And sadly always very true :sad: I didn't watch the Final as I could see the defeat coming. Rafa hadn't always seemed focused even in the Tournaments before Madrid. And even with him still being in his early 20's he doesn't seem as fast to me as he used to be--may be that is due to his knees :unsure: But before Rafa seemed always focused and could run down just about every ball hit to him. Now at times he can't get to the ball or even if he gets to the ball he can't make a shot :sad: I hope he will be able to pull out yet another French Open win, but I don't know :unsure: