How do Players determine which Tournaments to play? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How do Players determine which Tournaments to play?

desigundah
05-06-2009, 03:34 AM
Is there any kind of a selection method? I know obviously Roger always plays Basel because he's from there and also always plays Halle because of his impressive winning streak there but looking at the Estoril draw and comparing it to Munich really got me thinking how the players pick their tournament? The draw in Estoril, on paper, is pretty stacked. Simon, Davydenko Ferrer and Nalbandian (before he burned out). Compare that to the soft draw in Munich where the only real clay court guy is a struggling Almagro and it just makes me wonder how these guys decide which one theyll play?

GlennMirnyi
05-06-2009, 03:41 AM
Hmmm it's a difficult process.

They tie cards with the name of the tournaments around the neck of white doves and send trained falcons after them. The dove that dies last determines the tournament.

JimmyV
05-06-2009, 04:43 AM
Hmmm it's a difficult process.

They tie cards with the name of the tournaments around the neck of white doves and send trained falcons after them. The dove that dies last determines the tournament.

If the doves manage to escape they fall back on apple bobbing. It's foolish if you really think about it but it's the observance of these old traditions that makes tennis the great sport that it is.

Action Jackson
05-06-2009, 04:53 AM
They close their eyes and hope for the best.

El Legenda
05-06-2009, 05:02 AM
depends on the rank...for the top players...which ever offers more appearance fee money...for less ranked...they dont pick...they hope to make it.

Fee
05-06-2009, 05:04 AM
Are you ready for a serious answer now that the kids have had their fun? ;)

There are a number of factors that help a player decide which events to play on optional weeks - points and prize money offered, ability to get in, possible guarantee offered (even lower ranked players can get a few bucks) ,whether or not their agency owns it or has a connection to it, surface preference, city preference, travel distance, etc, etc, etc.

With Estoril v Munich, it could be that the early signed players were so impressive, that some players went to Munich instead to improve their chances of making it to the QF round.

JimmyV
05-06-2009, 05:23 AM

There are a number of factors that help a player decide which events to play on optional weeks - points and prize money offered, ability to get in, possible guarantee offered (even lower ranked players can get a few bucks) ,whether or not their agency owns it or has a connection to it, surface preference, city preference, travel distance, etc, etc, etc.

With Estoril v Munich, it could be that the early signed players were so impressive, that some players went to Munich instead to improve their chances of making it to the QF round.

Like anyone will believe an answer that ridiculous:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Fee
05-06-2009, 05:30 AM
Like anyone will believe an answer that ridiculous:shrug::shrug::shrug:

oh stop it, you little :devil:

Ilovetheblues_86
05-06-2009, 05:37 AM
Some players choose according to theiur probability to gam. Ex: Cañas lost in Belgrad now he will....

Farenhajt
05-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Since no one but top four is making any serious money out of tennis, they usually camp on the airport on Friday evening and wait for the half-price last-minute-cancellation for any available destination.

Bazooka
05-06-2009, 10:30 AM
For the top four, they take into account many factors: appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, appearance fees, etc.

I hope that helps.

desigundah
05-06-2009, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the serious answer.

Sapeod
05-06-2009, 11:42 AM
What Fee said :)

Collective
05-06-2009, 01:50 PM
If ranking is good: 1)appearance fee 2)mandatory tournaments for them 3)Surface

If ranking is so-so: 1)easiest way to make money (i.e. I'm an Argentine in february, I'm for sure gonna lose in hard or indoor courts so I go to clay tourneys in Argentina, Brazil and Mexico).

If ranking not good: Hope to make it.

Else: Sign up for anything, travel to the place with shorter entry list hoping to get to the draw.

valexie03
05-06-2009, 02:04 PM

If ranking is good: 1)appearance fee 2)mandatory tournaments for them 3)Surface

If ranking is so-so: 1)easiest way to make money (i.e. I'm an Argentine in february, I'm for sure gonna lose in hard or indoor courts so I go to clay tourneys in Argentina, Brazil and Mexico).

If ranking not good: Hope to make it.

Else: Sign up for anything, travel to the place with shorter entry list hoping to get to the draw.

Thanks for the answers :cool:

FiBeR
05-07-2009, 01:27 PM
random.org :D