About Djokovic Rafa impersonation in Rome [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

About Djokovic Rafa impersonation in Rome

Seville
05-05-2009, 12:41 AM
In Typically Spanish, an online newspaper for English-speaking residents in Spain, readers discuss about Djokovic's reluctant Rafa impersonation in Rome, during the trophy ceremony.

First, the news
Rafael Nadal wins the Rome Masters for the fourth time
By h.b. - May 4, 2009

There is controversy in Spain as the TVE channel cuts Djokovic impersonating Nadal's serve gestures during the prize ceremony

Rafael Nadal has won the Rome Masters for the fourth time in what has been his best ever start to the season. He defeated the Serbian player Novak Djokovic 7-6,6-2, in a result which also allows Andy Murray to take up the World Number 3 slot.

Speaking after the match Nadal said that if he loses in Paris in the French Open it will be unfair to say he has had a bad season on clay.

There is some controversy in Spain over the public broadcaster TVE’s decision to cut the transmission and miss what were good-hearted humorous impersonations from Djokovic, who was asked by the Italian TV host of the prize ceremony to impersonate Nadal’s serve gestures.

And these were some readers' opinions.

Lisa from United Kingdom
4/5/2009 11:36 am
I think it was inappropriate and disrespectful. The question to ask is whether they would ever do that to Federer after one of his victories? The ATP is doing everything in its power to take Rafa off the No 1 pedestal and if they can't get someone to beat him, they've decided to humiliate him. I think it is shocking because they're missing a real opportunity to get young kids to follow in his footsteps. Tennis has never been as exciting as it is right now and its largely due to Rafael Nadal. Every match he plays becomes a nailbiter and the stadiums are packed. But, Rafa has great moral and mental strength and he will go on to become the world's greatest player ever!

Dom from Australia
4/5/2009 2:21 pm
I couldn't agree more - as an Australian of Italian origin I was embarrased at the complete lack of class shown by the Italian organsiers to allow their host to ruin another one of Rafas winning moments. As usual Rafa handled the situation with the true grace of an all time champ!! Vamos Rafa for the rest of the year - an amazing year already!!

Florence from Hong Kong, China
4/5/2009 3:54 pm
I was shocked too. That old woman probably thought she was in a stand up show or something like that instead of a renown international tennis tournament. After this incidence, I am sure more and more people will realize how good Rafa is. The way how he reacted gracefully once again proved that he is not just a great tennis player, but a wonderful person. I believe the more disrespectful act they throw on him will only make him a stronger man.
Rafa, you are not alone, we are with you.

Cecilia, Cayman Islands
4/5/2009 7:39 pm
I also think it was a bit inappropriate. Even if it was done "in good humour", come on, there is a time and a place for things like that and that was NOT it, in my opinion.

Lynne, US
4/5/2009 11:08 pm
That old woman with the mike ought to be put
out to grass. Djocko's tired old joke is mean
and spiteful. Hope Rafa gives him a thrashing
when they next meet.

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_21192.shtml

DhammaTiger
05-05-2009, 01:12 AM
In Typically Spanish, an online newspaper for English-speaking residents in Spain, readers discuss about Djokovic's reluctant Rafa impersonation in Rome, during the trophy ceremony.

First, the news

And these were some readers' opinions.

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_21192.shtml

I too find what Djokovic did totally offensive. Rafa is so well mannered that he didn't show his irritation. It's really a shame for the Italian organizers to contemlate such a thing. As for Djokovic the less said is better. Vamos Rafa!!!

zero060891
05-05-2009, 07:16 AM
I think that was not an offensive act from Djokovic, it was done only for fun. Djokovic is also good-mannered, especially when he loses. It was just a harmless joke, no more, no less. Despite being a big Rafa fan, I know Rafa should not pull the short such regularly. Rafa himself also said that one time before. Since it's a bad habit, friends can make fun of it :D (without being disrespectful).

The truly offensive imitation came from Robin Soderling two years ago at Wimbledon.

Snoo Foo
05-05-2009, 07:28 AM
oh my god these people are fuckin uptight

Thanos
05-05-2009, 07:39 AM
those reasons alone are way the rafa fangirls are hated, uptight old slags.

Castafiore
05-05-2009, 07:53 AM
I too find what Djokovic did totally offensive. Rafa is so well mannered that he didn't show his irritation. It's really a shame for the Italian organizers to contemlate such a thing. As for Djokovic the less said is better. Vamos Rafa!!!
Djokovic handled the situation very well, I think.

I thought that it was a bit inapropriate of the Italian lady to put both players on the spot like that but both players handled it really well. Rafa by encouraging Novak to go on with it because it was obvious that Djokovic didn't like being put on the spot like that and Novak by doing a very mild impersonation.

acionescu
05-05-2009, 08:39 AM
The one to blame is the Italian lady. The two player handled it very well and what can I say? Nole's past mistakes will haunt him for ever :shrug:
Nothing to be outraged about, IMO :shrug:

EDIT: Actually I felt more embarrassed for Nole than for Rafa :rolls:

sphiie
05-05-2009, 09:16 AM
I also felt very embarrassed for Rafael and Novak. This pink lady should not ask this tough topic (Djokovic's impersonation) in front of Rafael... We saw how these 2 players were embarrassed.

We saw from Novaks's face that he was very embarassed (he was hiding his face...)
But Rafael again who is such a wise and nice person let Novak did it although this one didn't want to do it... I thought Rafael would be furious but finally not. It shows how respectful there are, but this impersonation is quite.. ok funny but... I don't know what to think about it...

If Rafael would have lose, I don't think he would react like this lol

cmurray
05-05-2009, 01:09 PM
they both handled it perfectly, imo. The lady was dreadful, asking Nole to imitate the guy who just beat him. :retard: It wasn't very well done of her.

I think I'm disliking Nole less than I used to. :unsure:

MariaV
05-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Djokovic handled the situation very well, I think.

I thought that it was a bit inapropriate of the Italian lady to put both players on the spot like that but both players handled it really well. Rafa by encouraging Novak to go on with it because it was obvious that Djokovic didn't like being put on the spot like that and Novak by doing a very mild impersonation.

I totally agree.
Nole had made a Sharapova impersonation at the ceremony when he won in Rome a year ago. It would've been wiser from the lady not to ask for an impersonation this year any more. :o

The one to blame is the Italian lady. The two player handled it very well and what can I say? Nole's past mistakes will haunt him for ever :shrug:
Nothing to be outraged about, IMO :shrug:

Exactly. I don't know if she/the organizers don't have a sense of what's appropriate at such a ceremony and what not. But well... :shrug:
Rafa acts just so naturally in every situation, it's absolutely amazing. :worship: :bowdown: I think he and Nole have talked about it (among other things) and they seem to get along fine now so I don't think Rafa was that offended. As you said it wasn't such a big deal anyway in the end.
I think Federer was the one who was most offended by Nole's impersonation and that's where his dislike for Nole takes its roots and that's why Nole quit doing them.
Nole can be a gracious loser and I must say I don't dislike him any more either. :D

wildegirl05
05-05-2009, 03:38 PM

Nole can be a gracious loser and I must say I don't dislike him any more either. :D

what? :mad:

i am going to have to bring back my just say no signature :mad:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: i blame hema. linda is right to not want to meet her :(

scoobs
05-05-2009, 03:40 PM
weaklings and backsliders.

wildegirl05
05-05-2009, 03:41 PM
weaklings and backsliders.

for sure :mad: if you cannot expect consistency in hating, i really don't know what mtf is coming to these days.

l_mac
05-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Since it's a bad habit, friends can make fun of it :D (without being disrespectful).

:retard:

:retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard:

wg :hug: We'll always have each other.

wildegirl05
05-05-2009, 03:49 PM
:retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard:

seconded.

wg :hug: We'll always have each other.

thanks linda :hug: if you ever show signs of thawing towards nole, i might have to leave mtf :sad:

MariaV
05-05-2009, 05:57 PM
:lol:
And what was the point of shoving this thread into Rafa forum? :rolleyes:

Snoo Foo
05-05-2009, 06:02 PM
yeah i'm not sure, why wasn't it put in nole's forum since it's about nole's impersonations?

«Ivan»
05-05-2009, 06:11 PM

old 'n without life.you made me blush.learn from those rafa girls.posters make fun of you,i heard crying. they should.

«Ivan»
05-05-2009, 06:25 PM
what? :mad:

i am going to have to bring back my just say no signature :mad:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: i blame hema. linda is right to not want to meet her :(

:eek:you're so mean:eek:
imac is irrelevant but i've always thought you're decent girl.
i truly,truly,truly liked you.
truly!

wildegirl05
05-05-2009, 06:26 PM
:eek:you're so mean:eek:
imac is irrelevant but i've always thought you're decent girl.
i truly,truly,truly liked you.
truly!

chooper :hug: :hug:

sorry, but my dislike of nole has been very strong for very long. i cannot give it up.

can't we still be friends? :awww:

Snoo Foo
05-05-2009, 06:27 PM
i've always thought you're decent girl.

oh chooper i made the same mistake :hug:

«Ivan»
05-05-2009, 06:28 PM
yes

savesthedizzle
yeah i'm not sure, why wasn't it put in nole's forum since it's about nole's impersonations?

Because I get :armed: with the mods when they dump crap in there instead of just deleting it :D

wildegirl05
oh chooper i made the same mistake :hug:

shot through the heart :sad:

yes

yes to friends? :awww:

l_mac
05-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Wasn't this thread originally posted in here? DOn't think it was moved.

Nole sucks.

Snoo Foo
05-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Because I get :armed: with the mods when they dump crap in there instead of just deleting it :D

damn i guess that means someone from the rafa forum has to get :armed: with the mods for dumping it here...

not it

«Ivan»
05-05-2009, 06:34 PM
yes to friends? :awww:
yes,yes.

imac,news-rafa doesn't sucks.i guess i have a luck.i can live without hatred.
nole doesn't too.

http://i44.tinypic.com/sfxq2v.gif

wildegirl05
05-05-2009, 06:37 PM
yes,yes.

nole doesn't too.

:woohoo: thanks chooper, i appreciate it truly because i myself find it sometimes hard to like people who hate roger :sad:

but since you did this for me, i'll try harder to be friends with them :hug:

l_mac
05-05-2009, 06:39 PM
yes,yes.

nole doesn't too.

Shut up chooperdo.

You've written far worse about Nadal than I ever have about Nole.

tennizen
05-05-2009, 06:42 PM
:woohoo: thanks chooper, i appreciate it truly because i myself find it sometimes hard to like people who hate roger :sad:

but since you did this for me, i'll try harder to be friends with them :hug:

:eek: What about those who hate Rafa:eek:

wildegirl05
05-05-2009, 06:43 PM

i can never dislike jm :inlove: he is just very easy to like :hearts:

tennizen
05-05-2009, 06:45 PM
i can never dislike jm :inlove: he is just very easy to like :hearts:

He is not the only Rafa hater here you know:rolleyes:

Rafatards will thank me for exposing your obvious preference for Fed:sport:

wildegirl05
05-05-2009, 06:47 PM
He is not the only Rafa hater here you know:rolleyes:

Rafatards will thank me for exposing your obvious preference for Fed:sport:

i thought the implication was obvious :hug: once i could overcome jm's dislike of rafa, i could overcome everyone else's

i think this really exposes my obvious preference for Jam. or maybe i'm just teasing hilde :D

i'm an enigma wrapped in a mystery :cool:

l_mac
05-05-2009, 06:48 PM
i thought the implication was obvious :hug: once i could overcome jm's dislike of rafa, i could overcome everyone else's

i think this really exposes my obvious preference for Jam. or maybe i'm just teasing hilde :D

Where do you stand on Rafa Hater #1?

wildegirl05
05-05-2009, 06:49 PM

good point. i had forgotten. ok, you shot my theory.

no, no can do. cannot overcome.

i'm going to have to work on that too :(

cmurray
05-05-2009, 06:51 PM

:bigcry:

I always knew this about WG deep down inside...but to have it exposed in such a way...:crying2: My own sister, turned Rafa traitor. :sobbing:

Linda, I think that's WAY worse than saying I don't dislike Nole as much as I used to. :rolleyes: I mean, I didn't say I was a fan or anything. So :retard::retard: right back at both of you. :(

tennizen
05-05-2009, 06:52 PM

:lol: Timely intervention, Linda

wildegirl05
05-05-2009, 06:53 PM
new theory: while it is possible for me to work towards liking some fed haters, i may never be able to like rafa haters (with the exception of jm :inlove: and claire :hearts: and mikey :smooch:) :shrug:

this law school thingamajiggy is awesome :worship:

MariaV
05-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Wasn't this thread originally posted in here? DOn't think it was moved.

Nole sucks.

GOD help if it was posted here originally. :help: I thought it was originally posted in GM but whatever. :shrug:

And Roger sucks more right now. :p :D

scoobs
05-05-2009, 11:14 PM
twasn't me.

wildegirl05
05-05-2009, 11:20 PM
twasn't me.

n5L-aOExy5U

i really need to get off youtube :o

scoobs
05-05-2009, 11:23 PM
yeah that's what I was thinking of when I posted it :lol: