French Open match-ups that could make Rafa nervous. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

French Open match-ups that could make Rafa nervous.

chowdahead25
05-04-2009, 03:53 AM
I've been trying to think of ways that Rafa could not win the French Open.
I havent come up with any:p

I have however, tried to realistically think about some matchups in the early rounds that could make Rafa a little less comfortable.

If I had to pick five guys he wouldnt want to see, the list looks like this.

1. Ferrero
2. Gaudio
3. Monaco
4. Zverev
5. Seppi

Thats not in order, but most treacherous for him would be Monaco I'd think.
This list is also not listing anyone who will be/could be seeded, so pretty much 1st/2nd round.

Thoughts?

GlennMirnyi
05-04-2009, 03:56 AM
1. Chuck Norris
2. Rick James
3. Wolverine
4. Iron Man
5. Darth Vader

Next question?

El Legenda
05-04-2009, 03:57 AM
Heyzeus

chowdahead25
05-04-2009, 03:58 AM
1. Chuck Norris
2. Rick James
3. Wolverine
4. Iron Man
5. Darth Vader

Next question?

Hows Muller?

Jusssssst kiddding:angel:

finishingmove
05-04-2009, 03:59 AM
bud spencer
ricky gervais

finishingmove
05-04-2009, 04:00 AM
also, observing mardy fish against, well pretty much anyone, could make him experience anxiety.

GlennMirnyi
05-04-2009, 04:04 AM
Lisnard?

jmf07
05-04-2009, 04:12 AM
lol

In all seriousness he would definitely not be afraid by either Gaudio, Zverev or Seppi. Monaco and Ferrero wouldn't make him scared but he might actually devise some form of a gameplan just to make sure.

Although he wouldn't lose any sleep I think he would prefer not to play these five guys not in order.
1. Djokovic
2. Federer
3. Fit Dave
4. Gulbis
5. Gasquet spurred on by a home crowd

finishingmove
05-04-2009, 04:13 AM
Lisnard?

to great extent

finishingmove
05-04-2009, 04:14 AM
kei nishikori, if healthy (future roland garros champion, imo)

just tooooo many to name them all...

chowdahead25
05-04-2009, 04:17 AM
lol

In all seriousness he would definitely not be afraid by either Gaudio, Zverev or Seppi. Monaco and Ferrero wouldn't make him scared but he might actually devise some form of a gameplan just to make sure.

Although he wouldn't lose any sleep I think he would prefer not to play these five guys not in order.
1. Djokovic
2. Federer
3. Fit Dave
4. Gulbis
5. Gasquet spurred on by a home crowd

Thanks for a real response.
Totally didnt think about Gulbis.
Only reason I say Gaudio is because he is on his little comeback now, and the crowd would probably be insanely behind him.
It would be an incredibly fun match.

Djokovic and Fed I thnk can beat him if they play a perfect match to be honest.

finishingmove
05-04-2009, 04:23 AM
Thanks for a real response.
Totally didnt think about Gulbis.

good

Only reason I say Gaudio is because he is on his little comeback now, and the crowd would probably be insanely behind him.
It would be an incredibly fun match.

give it some more thought

that makes sense.

if marko djokovic plays a perfect match, he can beat anybody as well, to be honest.

RafaTheBest
05-04-2009, 04:40 AM
Gaudio was given a breadstick in his recent challenger final. He wouldn't take 4 games off an in-form Nadal.

General Suburbia
05-04-2009, 04:50 AM
The amount of stupid my brain experienced when I read Gaudio just because he made a run at a challenger tournament...

Mimi
05-04-2009, 05:45 AM
Nole and Roger could beat him :mad:

Action Jackson
05-04-2009, 05:47 AM
A major illness or injury are the only things that will stop him.

Stop overrating Gaudio.

scarecrows
05-04-2009, 05:51 AM
bud spencer
ricky gervais

Bud would easily beat Nadal in a swimming race

pogotheorist
05-04-2009, 06:09 AM
Freakish alignment of the planets can happen; a guy can get in the zone for a few days. But I think the three Rafa will be most concerned about are just the others in the top 4 - Fed and Nole being clear 2& 3 on clay last year, Murray having made a big impression on Rafa from their first match, AO 2007, and given him a scare in Monaco which makes a clay coming of age not out of the question.

W!MBLEDON
05-04-2009, 06:48 AM
Freakish alignment of the planets can happen; a guy can get in the zone for a few days. But I think the three Rafa will be most concerned about are just the others in the top 4 - Fed and Nole being clear 2& 3 on clay last year, Murray having made a big impression on Rafa from their first match, AO 2007, and given him a scare in Monaco which makes a clay coming of age not out of the question.

hahaha

desigundah
05-04-2009, 07:27 AM
I've been trying to think of ways that Rafa could not win the French Open.
I havent come up with any:p

I have however, tried to realistically think about some matchups in the early rounds that could make Rafa a little less comfortable.

If I had to pick five guys he wouldnt want to see, the list looks like this.

1. Ferrero
2. Gaudio
3. Monaco
4. Zverev
5. Seppi

This list is also not listing anyone who will be/could be seeded, so pretty much 1st/2nd round.

Thoughts?

I hope this is just a joke.

iriraz
05-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Djokovic could take a set from Nadal but he will be really tired in the best of 5 set format and crumble in the next sets.Nalbandian can trouble Nadal but he is no longer a contender in slams,Federer can take Nadal to 4 as well while the toughest physical match for Nadal could be with Davydenko.

HeretiC
05-04-2009, 07:48 AM
Upset stomach and blisters would make him nervous. Or probably a huge headache.

P.S. Terence Hill too.

Commander Data
05-04-2009, 08:56 AM
The most dangerous match ups for Rafa certainly are

Federer and Djokovic.

Murray could also be a pain in the ass. I don't think he can win but he could tire him.

What about Tsonga. If Tsonga plays like AO 2008 he could be a handful..

What about Safin in the earlier rounds? other options: Juan Monaco, Mikhail Youzhny, Marcos Baghdatis

I think the only players that really have a slight chance to win are Djokovic in the zone with Rafa having a bad day or Jesusfed with a new brain.

I think the Terminator might work. But only the T-800 alias A. Schwarzenegger. You gotta have bigger bizeps then Nadal to win.

Chiseller
05-04-2009, 09:06 AM

Even Murray could've a shot if he plays a perfect match. Think about it to be honest.

martine2
05-04-2009, 09:08 AM
The most dangerous match ups for Rafa certainly are

Federer and Djokovic.

Murray could also be a pain in the ass. I don't think he can win but he could tire him.

What about Tsonga. If Tsonga plays like AO 2008 he could be a handful..

What about Safin in the earlier rounds? other options: Juan Monaco, Mikhail Youzhny, Marcos Baghdatis

I think the only players that really have a slight chance to win are Djokovic in the zone with Rafa having a bad day or Jesusfed with a new brain.

I think the Terminator might work. But only the T-800 alias A. Schwarzenegger. You gotta have bigger bizeps then Nadal to win.

This is clay, remember...

Commander Data
05-04-2009, 09:26 AM
This is clay, remember...

Yeah I know. but he crushed him on HC, so doesn't he have at least a chance on clay playing like that?

Deivid23
05-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Thoughts?

My thought is you don´t have a clue. Hope this helps.

scoobs
05-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Naturally Andy Murray is the biggest threat to Nadal on clay to have emerged in the last five years.

Cloudygirl
05-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Yeah I know. but he crushed him on HC, so doesn't he have at least a chance on clay playing like that?

When did Tsonga last go deep in a clay court tournament.

Commander Data
05-04-2009, 10:47 AM
When did Tsonga last go deep in a clay court tournament.

Don't know. maybe never? I don't think he will go far in RG either, he lacks consistency. But couldn't he string together one good match maybe or at least a set?

cocrcici
05-04-2009, 10:54 AM
http://www.maniacworld.com/Bruce-Lee-Photo-4.jpg
Bruce Lee forehand:cool:

Foxy
05-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Djoko, Murray, Nalby, Denko in that order. But it doesn't mean he will lose a set to them. Just that they are above the rest.
I may add hidden threats like Wawrinka and Monaco.

Stefanos13
05-04-2009, 10:56 AM
I think he'll feel more at home at RG than any of the other preceding tournaments. So, assuming he's fit I don't think he believes he will lose this or even feel nervous. He'll be more relaxed than he was in Rome when he had a couple of shaky moments against Novak.

But if anyone can come anywhere close to making him feel nervous it would be Federer and Djokovic. I believe Novak is the second best clay court tennis player right now; and Federer showed a return to his old self during the Rome semis (even if it didn't last for more than a set!)

Commander Data
05-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Djoko, Murray, Nalby, Denko in that order. But it doesn't mean he will lose a set to them. Just that they are above the rest.
I may add hidden threats like Wawrinka and Monaco.

Just because you hate Federer doesn't mean he is not in that group buddy.

Cloudygirl
05-04-2009, 11:04 AM
I can see a few of the flaky nutters e.g. Fit Nalby, Safin, Gasquet, Monfils, Verdasco (still don't think one good run at the AO proves he has graduated from the flaky nutter class) playing out of their skins, giving him a tough match.

Then people like Federer, Djokovic, Davydenko giving him a tough match. Murray might get a set if Rafa is half asleep.

Noone else stands a chance in hell imo.

marcRD
05-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Djoko is in the same position Federer used to be 05-07, if he plays a perfect match in RG and Nadal doesnt play his best he could actually take Nadal by surprise.

I cant see anyone else than Djoko taking a set against Nadal, Ferrer maybe could take him to a long 4 set battle, Wawrinka could surprise too.

Just for fan, a "nightmarish" draw for Nadal:

1st round:Ferrero/Monaco
2nd round:Gulbis
3rd round:Andreev
rd 4:Wawrinka/Ferrer
qf: motivated Nalbandian
sf:Murray
f Djokovic

Commander Data
05-04-2009, 11:10 AM
The Terminator.

Puschkin
05-04-2009, 11:21 AM
A player whom nobody expects, like Mathieu a couple of years ago. I still feel that this was one of the hardest battles Nadal had to fight at RG, even if it was a clear result.

Chair Umpire
05-04-2009, 11:25 AM
2. Gaudio
3. Monaco
4. Zverev

:lol: :lol: :lol:

marcRD
05-04-2009, 11:31 AM
A player whom nobody expects, like Mathieu a couple of years ago. I still feel that this was one of the hardest battles Nadal had to fight at RG, even if it was a clear result.

How about Simon? He sucks on clay, but he knows how to fight for his life and with the french crowd going crazy maybe it could be a similar kind of crazy match like that one against Mathieu.

I also remember Grosjean taking a set from Nadal only because of the french crowd.

Action Jackson
05-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Simon no chance in hell, he has struggled at RG, some players handle it well playing in Paris, say like Monfils, then there is Simon and Gasquet.

Puschkin
05-04-2009, 11:34 AM
How about Simon? He sucks on clay, but he knows how to fight for his life and with the french crowd going crazy maybe it could be a similar kind of crazy match like that one against Mathieu.
Right now, I don't see it, Simon urgently needs a confidence boost before Roland Garros to perform decently there.

If it were for crowd support only, Monfils is the best French option, but I don't think he has the game to compete with Nadal in a best of five match.

Cloudygirl
05-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Right now, I don't see it, Simon urgently needs a confidence boost before Roland Garros to perform decently there.

If it were for crowd support only, Monfils is the best French option, but I don't think he has the game to compete with Nadal in a best of five match.

The one thing about Gilles though is that he plays his best tennis against the toughest opponents. He has played crap this year imo but he still gave Djokovic a tough match in Dubai. He could rise to the occasion.

ImmzB
05-04-2009, 12:33 PM
No-1

marcRD
05-04-2009, 12:42 PM
The one thing about Gilles though is that he plays his best tennis against the toughest opponents. He has played crap this year imo but he still gave Djokovic a tough match in Dubai. He could rise to the occasion.

Exactly, someone was asking for a player to make come from nowhere and battle for his life infront of the french crowd ala Mathieu 2006 and Simon was the 1st one in my mind. He has no respect for the big guys and he is one hell of a fighter, ofcourse he is on a slump at this very moment but the french crowd could wake him to life.

Monfils could also be a very interesting opponent, but he is a choker and a mental case, but on the other hand Mathieus middle name is mental case and his last name is choker, Monfils is a more probable candidate afterall to do a "Mathieu" against Nadal.

habibko
05-04-2009, 12:42 PM
every match makes him nervous, he can't win a match until he wins it on court, and he has to play his best and continuing improving no? that's why he is the 4th consecutive time defending champion..

the question which is everyone answering here is "who are the likely dangerous opponents in RG?" and the answer is no one is.

Andi-M
05-04-2009, 12:43 PM
I know this is a weird response but only Nalbandian and Murray would make Rafa slightly on edge because Rafa dosent feel he owns them yet. Though Fed and Djoko are far superior claycourt players to these 2, they do not believe they can beat Rafa on any surface and Rafa knows it.

GlennMirnyi
05-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Djoko is in the same position Federer used to be 05-07, if he plays a perfect match in RG and Nadal doesnt play his best he could actually take Nadal by surprise.

I cant see anyone else than Djoko taking a set against Nadal, Ferrer maybe could take him to a long 4 set battle, Wawrinka could surprise too.

Just for fan, a "nightmarish" draw for Nadal:

1st round:Ferrero/Monaco
2nd round:Gulbis
3rd round:Andreev
rd 4:Wawrinka/Ferrer
qf: motivated Nalbandian
sf:Murray
f Djokovic

Andreev? :haha: :haha:

Andreev can't beat his own shadow.

Mint Chip
05-04-2009, 01:38 PM
John Cena-Rafa can't see me!

lamnathalie
05-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Rafa never feels nervous on clay.

sphiie
05-04-2009, 01:53 PM
every match makes him nervous, he can't win a match until he wins it on court, and he has to play his best and continuing improving no? that's why he is the 4th consecutive time defending champion..

the question which is everyone answering here is "who are the likely dangerous opponents in RG?" and the answer is no one is.

good post :yeah:

Bazooka
05-04-2009, 02:04 PM
1. Chuck Norris
2. Rick James
3. Wolverine
4. Iron Man
5. Darth Vader

Next question?
:worship::haha:

You made my day.

Bazooka
05-04-2009, 02:08 PM
I tried to write a list but this is too stupid. He's so far above the rest that if he plays at 75% he won't drop a set. Djokovic could take a set off him, maybe. But three?

Xavier7
05-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Djokovic
Murray
Del Potro
Monfils
Gasquet
Nalbandian
Gulbis

Those potentially can cause Nadal problems.
Seriously not Federer, Safin, Monaco, Davydenko, or Ferrero.

Pfloyd
05-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Mirka! :scared:

Rafalover15
05-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Monfils

Clay Death
05-04-2009, 02:28 PM
I tried to write a list but this is too stupid. He's so far above the rest that if he plays at 75% he won't drop a set. Djokovic could take a set off him, maybe. But three?

he is 45-0 in best of 5 sets foremats on clay. he also just pocketed 3 big clay events in 3 weeks while playing at about 70% capacity.

we all know he is going to step it up at Roland Garros. so its the wrong question. nothing and nobody makes him nervous at Roland Garros.

the real question is this: how many players are nervous about seeing him across the net?

i have that answer. its 100%. fully 100% of the players know they have no chance against him in a best of 5 sets match on clay.

they all felt the same way about Borg when he was dominating on clay. nobody felt they had any chance at all of besting him on dirt.

that is a huge mental edge that he has.

zlaja777
05-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Chuck Norris or Djokovic-Federer doubles can beat Rafa at FO.

Bazooka
05-04-2009, 02:41 PM
he is 45-0 in best of 5 sets foremats on clay. he also just pocketed 3 big clay events in 3 weeks while playing at about 70% capacity.

we all know he is going to step it up at Roland Garros. so its the wrong question. nothing and nobody makes him nervous at Roland Garros.

the real question is this: how many players are nervous about seeing him across the net?

i have that answer. its 100%. fully 100% of the players know they have no chance against him in a best of 5 sets match on clay.

they all felt the same way about Borg when he was dominating on clay. nobody felt they had any chance at all of besting him on dirt.

that is a huge mental edge that he has.

One possible question is, will anyone be competitive for more than 1 set? this could make things more promising for the 2010 clay season. Maybe Novak, if he had a stronger mind.

The great advantage of Nadal is, he has nothing to fear from the old men (Fed, Nalby) and from the current generation only Novak looks like he's really trying. And there's nothing in the future, no 17 year old winning the south american titles, at least that I know. So from the look of things, he will win many RGs in the next years... It would be cool if he retired undefeated with 7-8 titles!

christallh24
05-04-2009, 02:47 PM
we all know he is going to step it up at Roland Garros.

I hope so. He's played so much already, though. I'm a little nervous myself about the draw of RG.

Work ethic. The clearest difference between he and Roger, for me. The way I see it is, other players see how hard Rafa works, that he doesn't give off that effortlessness. It makes him look more beatable even on clay. Which makes them stupid, I guess.

...that is a huge mental edge that he has.

I agree. I think that is Rafa's biggest advantage.

Mateya
05-04-2009, 02:54 PM
PHM could clinch a set again. ;)

The first set that is, because further the match goes, less chance you have against this dirt monster.
I'm sure even if someone took a 2-0 lead, healthy Rafzilla would win 3-2. :worship:

Clay Death
05-04-2009, 02:55 PM
One possible question is, will anyone be competitive for more than 1 set? this could make things more promising for the 2010 clay season. Maybe Novak, if he had a stronger mind.

The great advantage of Nadal is, he has nothing to fear from the old men (Fed, Nalby) and from the current generation only Novak looks like he's really trying. And there's nothing in the future, no 17 year old winning the south american titles.

he actually has nothing to fear from anybody on clay. how many matches has he lost on clay since 2005?

what is that a total of 4. the competitive advantages that he enjoys on clay are not easily found:

1. nobody on the planet can match his movement on clay.
2. nobody on the planet has his brute physical strength. his physical gifts are rare.
3. nobody has ever hit with so much topspin. that allows him to play a relatively error free game when he is on and in form.
4. some of his stamina/endurance is natural. he has a massive vo2max (maximal oxygen uptake).
5. he has the most destructive forehand the game has ever seen. its not everyday that you find somebody with that dangerous of a forehand. Gonzo and Fed have more explosive forehands but clay warrior can ruin your life with his forehand. forehand by forehand, he can demolish you with his topspin cyclones that never end. that means they miss while he does not. especially in the clutch.
6. relentless will. this is his greatest competitive advantage.
7. sharp, tactical mind.

so even if there was somebody coming up, they would still have a mountain to climb against this beast on clay. he is going to win 2-3 more French Opens after this year before he starts to slow down.

consider this fact: he is still improving. consider another fact: he will most likely win his 5th french open in a row exactly 1 week past his 23rd birthday. that effectively gives him 3-4 years to improve and keep his competitive advantages on clay.

Xavier7
05-04-2009, 03:04 PM
The great advantage of Nadal is, he has nothing to fear from the old men (Fed, Nalby) and from the current generation only Novak looks like he's really trying. And there's nothing in the future, no 17 year old winning the south american titles, at least that I know!

Del Potro might be a serious threat to Nadal at Roland Garros in a year or 2. He still has tons of improvement in him to make.

christallh24
05-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Del Potro? Oh, goodness. I hope not.

w78dexon_y
05-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Djokovic
Murray
Del Potro
Monfils
Gasquet
Nalbandian
Gulbis

Delpo has awful movement on clay. Or no movement at all?! Do not count him.

BackhandMissile
05-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Andy Murray, not because he's good on clay but because he's one of the few players who has outsmarted Nadal at times.

freeandlonely
05-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Uncle Toni in 2006 : ...he might be dangerous...
Rafa Nadal in 2009 : ...I'm scared of his backhend...
But he can be defeated in R1...

No.8 No.9 No.10 has a shot IMO.
No.23? I think No, though I would like to see that happen.

As for Federer/Djokovic/Murray, I really don't think they can beat Nadal at RG semi-final/final.

r2473
05-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Gunter Parche

calvinhobbes
05-04-2009, 06:12 PM
he actually has nothing to fear from anybody on clay. how many matches has he lost on clay since 2005?

what is that a total of 4. the competitive advantages that he enjoys on clay are not easily found:

4. some of his stamina/endurance is natural. he has a massive vo2max (maximal oxygen uptake).

AW! Now I see why everybody is warning about an upcoming shortage on earth´s oxygen supply . . . .

HattonWBA
05-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Nobody for fuck sake

Commander Data
05-04-2009, 08:21 PM

1. nobody on the planet can match his movement on clay.
2. nobody on the planet has his brute physical strength. his physical gifts are rare.
3. nobody has ever hit with so much topspin. that allows him to play a relatively error free game when he is on and in form.
5. he has the most destructive forehand the game has ever seen. its not everyday that you find somebody with that dangerous of a forehand. Gonzo and Fed have more explosive forehands but clay warrior can ruin your life with his forehand. forehand by forehand, he can demolish you with his topspin cyclones that never end. that means they miss while he does not. especially in the clutch.
6. relentless will. this is his greatest competitive advantage.
7. sharp, tactical mind.

so even if there was somebody coming up, they would still have a mountain to climb against this beast on clay. he is going to win 2-3 more French Opens after this year before he starts to slow down.

consider this fact: he is still improving. consider another fact: he will most likely win his 5th french open in a row exactly 1 week past his 23rd birthday. that effectively gives him 3-4 years to improve and keep his competitive advantages on clay.

Thats spot on. The clay Slayer is relentless and unconquerably

....once you take a set off him he is hellbent on vengeance.

you could as well pray for death before stepping on a clay court...

...but keep in mind that the beast will be slayed some day too.

chammer44
05-04-2009, 08:29 PM
The Clay beast simply squelches all discussion relating to victory at RG.

cocrcici
05-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Maybe Tsonga surprise all...

MacTheKnife
05-04-2009, 09:19 PM
When he does drop one, it will probably be to some clown that we'd least expect it from.

marcRD
05-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Andreev? :haha: :haha:

Andreev can't beat his own shadow.

Some years ago you were always ranting about how Andreev beat Nadal in Valencia, that was when Nadal was on his 80 matches streak on clay. You never surprise me....

Nathaliia
05-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Gaudio was given a breadstick in his recent challenger final. He wouldn't take 4 games off an in-form Nadal.
The funny thing about Gaudio is that he could be bageled in two sets yet in the remaining ones be competitive.

edit, I think Monfils could if healthy; he would go crazy with the crowd and he loves to grind - certainly to take maybe two sets, especially on a good serve day.

star
05-04-2009, 11:30 PM
When he does drop one, it will probably be to some clown that we'd least expect it from.

Great champions can have off days, can be injured, can be sick and it doesn't take much of a drop in form for anyone in the top 20 or even 50 to beat a top player.

I think that Nadal takes every player very seriously. He's not the kind of player who can just win a match with one hand tied behind his back even when he plays his best. He puts a lot of effort and determination into every match.

Waterfox
05-04-2009, 11:57 PM
1- Djokovic
2- Simon
3- Federer
4- Tsonga
5- Monfils

Clay Death
05-05-2009, 12:30 AM
Thats spot on. The clay Slayer is relentless and unconquerably

....once you take a set off him he is hellbent on vengeance.

you could as well pray for death before stepping on a clay court...

...but keep in mind that the beast will be slayed some day too.

affirmative. the clay warrior wins with a relatively limited game as far as top all time greats go. the serve is still very weak. the return could be a lot better sometimes. net game/forecourt play needs more work the slice needs further developement.

and we all know about his nagging ailments. knee and foot issues have hampered him from time to time.

all things considered, he often plays at about 65%-70% capacity and still manages to win most all of matches on all surfaces, let alone clay.

i believe he still has a lot of upside. he will also wise up in terms of his schedule next year when he realizes finally that he may be in a position to go for the record.

as for losing his grip eventually, they all do eventually on the average and it usually starts to happen around 27 in tennis.

Swiss Mountain
05-05-2009, 12:45 AM
Not any french for sure. Look at Monfils last year, even with the crowd, he coudln't beat Roger.
Djoko, not a chance, he is average on clay.
Gaudio, pfff

out_here_grindin
05-05-2009, 12:51 AM

Like when Corretja took Sampras to a 5th set tiebreak at the US Open. But Nadal won't be beat by a clown until at least 2011.

out_here_grindin
05-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Bellucci gave Nadal the toughest set last year in the early rounds.

Remember last year, we thought Almagro and Verdasco would be tough tests. Instead they both rolled over and died at Nadal's feet.

chowdahead25
05-05-2009, 03:15 AM
Verdasco last year was painful to watch.
Almagro was bad, but I didnt watch that one.
Verdascos match was like watching a million kittens and babies getting murdered.
Horrible.

Dini
06-01-2009, 07:33 PM
I was searching for a Monfils thread, and I came across this. It's interesting that no one mentioned Soderling. :lol:

^^^ That is the closest thing to the reality that occurred. ;)

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: