Richie will be back! WOoooooooohhHHOOooooo!!!!! [Archive] - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

Richie will be back! WOoooooooohhHHOOooooo!!!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13

Eimear O'Mahony
05-23-2009, 07:40 PM
He definitely didn't learn English anyway :lol: Its really ironic actually ... I don't know if anyone remembers it but at Rafa's first Wimbledon when he was only like 15 or something they were showing him practising and doing an interview with Toni and Toni actually said that Rafa would never win Wimbledon and that he could say it because he didn't understand English and didn't know what he was saying :lol: Little did he know eh???

Cloudygirl
05-23-2009, 07:46 PM
http://tennisplanet.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/interview-with-nadal-and-tony-after-mc-opening-round/

there you go Uncle Toni speaking french. Gotta love google.

Schu
05-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Jo basically just said that he hoped Richie had a happy ending and that he'd rather not talk about it. I just thought it was very dissmissive and not supportive at all tbh

I thought exactly the same when I saw Jo's comment. Roddick, Safin and Nadal were more supportive than Jo who is supposed to be a good friend. Maybe Jo didn't want to get in trouble with FFT but damn if your friend is in trouble you stick up for them. Gald to see Forget beleives Richie too.

Eimear O'Mahony
05-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks you Schu!!! Nice to have some support rather than be accused of fantasising. I really wasn't impressed with Jo's comment. I didn't realise Roddick had said anything. What did he say? I was sooooo impressed with Safin and Rafa I really did

Schu
05-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks you Schu!!! Nice to have some support rather than be accused of fantasising. I really wasn't impressed with Jo's comment. I didn't realise Roddick had said anything. What did he say? I was sooooo impressed with Safin and Rafa I really did

I agree with all - no use speculating on who supports Richie and how much. And it is probably best for all to just keep quite. However if someone does say something then their comments are open for disussion.

On JOs's interview, or at least the translation of it that I saw, I didn't see one of the sentences that Keijan posted but even with that I just got the feeling that Jo was saying sorry for Richie, hope it works out but not my problem - don't mean to upset Jo fans - just my impression and we can all see things differently...and in fairness to Jo it might just be a poorly expressed response.

Roddick really didn't say anything about if he thought Richie did it or not but more a comment about how the punishment didn't fit the crime - something like if he did it, such a harsh punishment for one mistake is too bad.

Eimear O'Mahony
05-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Yes my point exactly Schu. Jo spoke so therefore we are entitled to discuss his comments. No I didn't see him say what Keijan said either. What I saw was basically I'm sorry for richie but I don't want to talk to it. It did seem like he was washing his hands of it which was a shame because he is a close friend of Richie's but maybe he's just choosing to support him privately

reggie1
05-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Thanks everyone for articles and updates.
I must admit I thought that Jo's response seemed a bit "short" but I thought maybe he had been told to keep quiet and perhaps it had lost something in translation. Maybe he panicked a bit because he was put on the spot and didn't really know what to say.
As for Gilles keeping quiet, Fran said that Richie and Gilles don't really know each other that well so maybe Gilles thinks it's not his place to comment publicly but I would imagine in private he would be quite supportive. I expect they know what has really happened regarding the drugs getting into Richard's system and I'd like to think that they are supportive even if they aren't that vocal at the moment.
The fact that Peyre was there on the night in question (if this is when the drugs were meant to have been ingested by Richard) makes me believe even more so that Richard is innocent. There is no way that Richard would have been having a wild old time with his coach there.

Davodus
05-24-2009, 03:13 AM
I don't think it is very fair to criticise someone so much because of something they said when ambushed in a press conference by press who want a story. We don't know what is going on behind the scenes, Richard could have asked them personally not to say anything to the media, because he doesn't want too much speculation. So we just have to take it as it comes, and not analyse and deconstruct everything that we read to death. That will just make this harder than it already is :)

nicky_1986
05-24-2009, 04:32 AM
Does anyone know if there is an english or translated version of the L'Equipe magazine article??? Thanks guys!!!

Puschkin
05-24-2009, 08:39 AM
I don't think it is very fair to criticise someone so much because of something they said when ambushed in a press conference by press who want a story. We don't know what is going on behind the scenes......... So we just have to take it as it comes, and not analyse and deconstruct everything that we read to death. That will just make this harder than it already is :)

:yeah: Words of wisdom.

All what comes out now is just totally contradictory. Yesterday L'Equipe wrote than Richard is in Paris, the day before another source claimed he stayed in Béziers. To me this just shows that the journalists know nothing, while still trying to write something.

Davodus
05-24-2009, 08:55 AM

All what comes out now is just totally contradictory. Yesterday L'Equipe wrote than Richard is in Paris, the day before another source claimed he stayed in Béziers. To me this just shows that the journalists know nothing, while still trying to write something.

this is exactly why we can't take anything we are reading too seriously. The journalists don't even know what they are writing :o

Cloudygirl
05-24-2009, 09:35 AM

I'm sure it was L'equipe I read yesterday and I translated it (so could be wrong ;) ) that Richard was hidden somewhere in France which I thought was very dramatic journalism and it made me lol.

Puschkin
05-24-2009, 12:08 PM
La rédaction - RMC.fr, le 21/05/2009
.......Richard Gasquet vivrait [] dans la villa qu’il vient d’acquérir près de Béziers.

L'equipe: paper version 23/5/09
Il vit dans un appartement parisien qu’on lui a prêté.

Vivrait is a "conditionel", which already indicates they know little to nothing. :o

Eliande
05-24-2009, 08:21 PM
La rédaction - RMC.fr, le 21/05/2009
.......Richard Gasquet vivrait [] dans la villa qu’il vient d’acquérir près de Béziers.

L'equipe: paper version 23/5/09
Il vit dans un appartement parisien qu’on lui a prêté.

Vivrait is a "conditionel", which already indicates they know little to nothing. :o

Richard, the ubiquitous man!:D

Cloudygirl
05-24-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm glad they haven't got a clue where he is, at least they can't be bugging him.

Cin
05-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Roland Garros can kill me. Every corner there has the memories with Richard, but he is not there this time.

Cloudygirl
05-24-2009, 11:11 PM
ffs are they going to ask every french player about Richard. Talk about leading questions

THE MODERATOR: Questionsin English.

Q. I just have a question about the penaltiesfor...

MATHIEU MONTCOURT: So we are going straight at the matter.

Q. You had a betting penalty that was, reducedand we see that Gasquet is possibly facing a two‑year ban. Do you think the difference is toolarge? What do you think for theseverity of the penalty for cocaine?

MATHIEU MONTCOURT: Well, first of all, I mean, I don't knowanything about the case for Richard Gasquet. He didn't speak out. I mean, I'mnot gonna speak about this case because I don't know anything.

I mean, to my point, there is nocomparison between cocaine and what I did with the betting stuff, because ‑‑ Idon't know. I would like to say that itwas ‑‑ my case, it was in 2004. I bet on20 or 25 players. The biggest bet was, Ithink, $3, and I lost $36, which is, to my point, ridiculous.

Everybody is laughing, so Ithink this is not only my opinion. Sothere is no comparison between betting in 2004 on 20 bets on Federer, which Idon't have any influence on Federer, on Sharapova, on Agassi. Yeah, can you imagine? I was betting on Agassi. He stopped playing like three or four yearsago.

Q. Doyou think that the penalties are uneven in general?

MATHIEU MONTCOURT: As I was telling you, with my case, thepenalty for me is too big, that's for sure. I'm not going to say the opposite, because betting on 25 players and thebiggest bet was $3. I repeat myself, butthis is the case.

And there was no rule ‑‑ I mean,there was a rule, but it was on the rule book, page 136 in English, which is avery, very big book. There were nocommunication, nothing about this at this moment.

This is, for me, a very bigpenalty, and very big fine and very big suspension with all these facts. I would like to say that, yes, I mean, to mypoint, I guess this is too big for a player like me to have a fine, to have a$12,000 fine.

Q. Butin general, when you look at betting and using a substance that doesn't reallyimprove performance, maybe the penalties seem not even.

MATHIEU MONTCOURT: Yeah, I don't know. With the betting stuff, they want to makeexamples with the betting, which means that even if you didn't commit a bigthing, that they just want to make example. That's what they did with myself and with the doping, like cocaine.

Yeah, it doesn't improve ‑‑like with the case of Gasquet, there is nothing that I know, so I can't talkabout him. But the cocaine, they neverproved that there is an impact with the performance and everything.

So, yeah, the only thing theycan do is to make this very big decision for the players. This is the only thing they can do to preventanother case and to prevent doping and betting.

Q. Soyou have no problem with it?

MATHIEU MONTCOURT: With cocaine? No.

Q. With that kind of penalty for cocaine.

MATHIEU MONTCOURT: Yeah, I mean, if you took ‑‑ I mean,everybody knows that cocaine is not allowed. If you took cocaine, then, yeah, you have to be suspended for sure.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2009-05-24/200905241243186884985.html

Eimear O'Mahony
05-24-2009, 11:23 PM
What a ridiculous interview!!! Who the fuck is Montcourt to Richard Gasquet? He's hardly going to know anything and even if he did it's not his place to say anything

Cloudygirl
05-24-2009, 11:29 PM
I feel sorry for him really because a round (even winning by retirement) at RG is a big deal for him and all they want to talk about is his betting suspension and Richard. Journalists suck sometimes.

Eimear O'Mahony
05-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Yeah :( Poor guy. Its ridiculous and if Richard was at home watching or listening he must be thinking 'Oh get over it already' ... he must be getting so frustrated with it now

Cloudygirl
05-24-2009, 11:38 PM
I hope he isn't daft enought to watch pressers at the moment

Eimear O'Mahony
05-24-2009, 11:42 PM
I'm sure he's not Tori. He's probably avoiding all media coverage atm

Keijan
05-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Thanks a lot for the interview. Everyone felt the ban and fine he was getting for betting such a small amount of money was beyond ridiculousness... he's right to relate it to Richard's situation imo. The ITF will probably once again sets its looks on making an example by giving a disproportionate sentence considering the offense. Still, Mat's ban was reduced after the first sentence fell, right? He wouldn't have been able to play Roland otherwise. So there is hope :)

Btw I don't know about the English interview but he definitely got questions about his 2nd round match in the french one :lol:

Cin
05-25-2009, 12:48 AM
poor Montcourt.
this is probably one of his biggest match in his whole carrier. but the questions are ahout his suspension, not about his performance or something else.

but he should be nice and careful when he is asked about the doping and Richard case.

case
05-25-2009, 10:53 PM
found this article about cocaine in the drink Red Bull

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30929880/

maybe gasquet can introduce enough doubt that it could lessen the ban. or maybe it is wishful thinking

Jozie
05-26-2009, 10:37 AM
found this article about cocaine in the drink Red Bull

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30929880/

maybe gasquet can introduce enough doubt that it could lessen the ban. or maybe it is wishful thinking

Hi case, I couldn't open your article, but did find this in our press this morning. Is it the same article?

http://www.news24.com/News24/Technology/News/0,,2-13-1443_2522247,00.html

Eliande
05-26-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm sure he's not Tori. He's probably avoiding all media coverage atm

That would be very wise of him...;)

reggie1
05-26-2009, 05:30 PM
I just can't get into RG, it's just not the same for me :sad:

Jozie
05-26-2009, 06:48 PM

I couldn't agree with you more. I really love my tennis, and even though most of my faves are still in the tournament, I just cannot get excited. I have absolutely no desire to even follow the live scoreboard to see how the others are doing.

To quote the enigmatic Mr Simon Cowell (I know you will relate to this Vicki) ..... "It's a bit like sucking ice for lunch, .... you are left with nothing".

We miss you Richie!!!!! :sad:

Schu
05-26-2009, 07:02 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. I really love my tennis, and even though most of my faves are still in the tournament, I just cannot get excited. I have absolutely no desire to even follow the live scoreboard to see how the others are doing.

To quote the enigmatic Mr Simon Cowell (I know you will relate to this Vicki) ..... "It's a bit like sucking ice for lunch, .... you are left with nothing".

Yup - Simon is right. Damn the French Open is usually my favorite tourney even though RIchie never did that well but this year it's just zip for me :sad:. I'll probably go into depression when Wimbly comes!

My top two favs never even made into the tourney and two others lost today, Baggy and Benny(who actually played Tsonga pretty well). Although Monaco is moving up on my fav list but he's probably got another 1 or 2 rounds left before he's gone and then once again I'm left with just Nadal... or cheering against those I don't like which really isn't as much fun.

MISS YOU RICHIE!!!!!

tennis lover
05-27-2009, 01:04 AM
me too. :sad: I'll still try to watch bits of Andy's matches but it's not the same, I'm not desperate to watch everything and see how the draw is turning out or anything. although for me it's probably a good thing otherwise I would do no work whatsoever for my last 2 exams. And they finish in time for the semis and final so hopefully I'll still be able to cheer Rafa on then. :)

Wimbledon is going to be horrible. At least Andy should do better there for me to have something to focus on, but I every year the Queens/Wimbledon time is my opportunity to sit at home and watch tennis all day every day and this is the last year I'm going to have a summer break to do that in and I can't even watch Richie. :sad:

reggie1
05-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Oh well, at least we all have each other :hug: I do have other faves but it's just not the same. Something or someone is missing and it just doesn't feel right. I even feel a bit disloyal watching it when I am so angry at "tennis" in general right now for the way he has been treated. I understand he will probably have to be banned to satisfy the baying WDA but to do it before his hearing when this has never happened to any other player just fills me with dismay. It is so very harsh. Why does he have to be the one to have the example made of him when we all know he is such a good guy really.
Does anybody know what will happen regarding his ranking? Will it be protected until his hearing at least? I looked on ATP website and he is still number 21. I know that the ranking is the least of his worries atm but I had a thought that if he is out for about another 3 months and his ranking really slips, will he then get really tough draws or even have to play challengers before playing ATP events again? I really don't understand how it will work? I just rememr Golovin seemed to go from 250 to 500 within a matter of weeks because of injury and being unable to play.
Oh and Jozie, I can relate to the Simon Cowell analogy, he does them so well :lol: He's been coming out with some absolute howlers this week because it's the semis of Britain's Got Talent. Last night we had an opera singer and a florist performing together, yes, that's right, she sang opera whilst he arranged flowers, only the English eh? They were called "Floral Highnotes!"

*Raine
05-27-2009, 05:56 PM

Ha! I remember that quote. That was after Kris' performance of Come Together. :o :haha:

Jozie
05-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Ha! I remember that quote. That was after Kris' performance of Come Together. :o :haha:

Spot on! :D Simon Cowell is a legend. :worship: The master of analogy. :wavey:

Jozie
05-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Oh and Jozie, I can relate to the Simon Cowell analogy, he does them so well :lol: He's been coming out with some absolute howlers this week because it's the semis of Britain's Got Talent. Last night we had an opera singer and a florist performing together, yes, that's right, she sang opera whilst he arranged flowers, only the English eh? They were called "Floral Highnotes!"

I know this isn't related to tennis, but is Susan Boyle going to win, do you think? "Britain's Got Talent" is not televised here, and Susan has made the headlines the world over.

Back to tennis... Safin is giving me a headache. I have heard of Ouanna, but never seen him play before. Where has he been all this time? :confused:

case
05-27-2009, 08:01 PM
i really like safin but i now really like ouanna! finally a good point in tennis after all the depressing gasquet news.

i havent heard of this guy before.

we dont get britain has talent here in the states either but boyle is sure getting a lot of good press.
do they really have a FLORIST in that show competing???

reggie1
05-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Girls, I'll post some stuff on the chat thread about BGT, Suzie Q has competition!

PinkFeatherBoa
05-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Girls, I'll post some stuff on the chat thread about BGT, Suzie Q has competition!

Am I the only person that thought at first that Vicky meant she was going to post about some competition for Danielle (our BGT)? :rolls: That Safin match must have adled my poor brain.

reggie1
05-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Am I the only person that thought at first that Vicky meant she was going to post about some competition for Danielle (our BGT)? :rolls: That Safin match must have adled my poor brain.
Oh Jen :lol: Although, I can see how you thought that if you read it quickly :lol: still none of us are ourselves atm are we? I've almost eaten my entire body weight in chocolate over the last 2 weeks :o

PinkFeatherBoa
05-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Oh Jen :lol: Although, I can see how you thought that if you read it quickly :lol: still none of us are ourselves atm are we? I've almost eaten my entire body weight in chocolate over the last 2 weeks :o

Of course, I should have known that there couldn't really be competition for our BGT. ;) :lol:

Yeah, things without Richard just aren't the same. :awww:

scmom
05-28-2009, 04:32 PM
hi- just checking in as I have not been around for a few days
has anyone heard anything new that is other than stupid rumor about how Richard is doing ?
I wish this hearing was not taking so long

reggie1
05-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Hi Beth :wavey:
No, I don't think there has been any more news. It does seem to be taking forever.

Cloudygirl
05-28-2009, 09:12 PM
It hasn't even been 3 weeks yet has it? It just seems like forever :(

reggie1
05-28-2009, 09:36 PM
We're just all really impatient.

Cloudygirl
05-28-2009, 09:40 PM
imagine what it is going to be like if it is 2 years :( I just don't want to think about it. I had already booked time off for wimby so I'm going but it isnt going to be the same.

reggie1
05-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Maybe I'm naive but I'm thinking it will be the 3 months and we are already partly through it because didn't his ban start the beginning of May before it was actually made public? I'm really hoping that they will take his character into account, first offence etc.. and the fact that his coach was with him on the night that everybody is saying it happened and that he didn't take it on purpose. I am assuming that this is what he means when he talks about proving his innocence, I just wish it could be proved a lot quicker, as we all do. I even posted a little message in French, yes in French :lol: on RG.net tonight, I've been a member for ages but have never posted on there before. I hope he reads his website for once because from what I have read everybody seems to be being really supportive. He does have a loyal core fanbase who really care about him. We are all just worried for him but I'm going to be optimistic and think that this will all come good in the end and he will emerge even stronger. The alternative is just far too depressing to even contemplate.

Cloudygirl
05-28-2009, 11:25 PM
wow posting in French, you must be serious I am impressed. I'm not a member of RG.net and it seems a bit wrong now joining just because of this. I'm hoping that it will be a very short ban but I just don't know. I hope his team have something up their sleeve. Goes without saying I think that we are behind him all the way. I will try to be more optimistic but it is hard. I'm by nature v cautious and not optimistic.

scmom
05-28-2009, 11:51 PM
thanks for the update , girls
like you I am trying to be optimistic
Missie ( my daughter ) is going back and forth - between optimism and being really upset about what is happening to him
and I cannot believe it has only been 3 weeks - does seem like forever since this whole mess started
I know lawyers take their time in being thorough , you hope , but waiting until July for any real news is going to be hard on us - his fans
I try to imagine how hard it must be for him

I have a friend in France who is also a big tennis fan - and so I asked her if she had heard any news at all
her response to me was pretty much exactly what we allready know - that he is in seclusion , working on a defense , maintaining his innocence - but she seemed to think the press was trying to respect his privacy
and with the French Open going on - he was getting the privacy he needed to cope with this problem
out of the glare of the spotlight
that could be a good thing for him , really - to not have the paparazzi and others of the press hounding him day and night

Puschkin
05-29-2009, 06:55 AM
I'm not a member of RG.net and it seems a bit wrong now joining just because of this.
Not at all. There are many people joining right now, and quite a few who have been there for a long time, but never posted, expressed themselves for the first time. I think this is great and really hope that somehow Richard will be aware of this wave of support.

Every fan is welcome, and nobody would call you a band-waggoner if you join now.

However, certain gossipy allusions would not be allowed there. ;)

Cloudygirl
05-29-2009, 08:00 AM
http://lebloga2balles.blogs.nouvelobs.com/archive/2009/05/29/arnaud-lagardere-richard-gasquet-ne-va-pas-mieux-au-contrair.html

only had time for a really quick look at this article as I am getting myself late for work but it looks interesting. I wonder what other tests are awaited.

Puschkin
05-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Brief summary.

Lagardère says that Richard waits for the results of further tests to prove his innocence as he still does not understand what happened that day. He adds that he still feels poorly, that he will express himself when he has all elements together.

The artcicle also mentions us fans, expressing support on his site.

Davodus
05-29-2009, 03:58 PM
i hope these 'other tests' come out in his favour (i really do!!! :p)

and good test results help in him getting a smaller penalty, i hope

Cloudygirl
05-29-2009, 06:50 PM
http://www.leparisien.fr/roland-garros-2009/direct-live-tennis/nadal-j-ai-eu-gasquet-au-telephone-29-05-2009-530789.php

well Rafa is certainly supporting him which is good.

SheLikesToDisco
05-29-2009, 07:49 PM
ESPN site

On Friday, Rafael Nadal answered eight questions in his postmatch press conference, six of them about drug testing.

The four-time defending champion here at Roland Garros offered a spirited defense of his friend Richard Gasquet, the Frenchman who tested positive for cocaine back in March in Miami.

"I support him," Nadal said. "I'm certain that he's not taking anything. He's not taking cocaine. I know him. He's a good friend of mine, and I discussed this with him last week.

"No, no, impossible. He's most certainly not taking cocaine. You know what the world is like today. You know, when you go to a party, anything can happen these days. If you kiss a girl who's taken cocaine, anything can happen, and that's the truth. That's reality, and this can destroy your life or your career, rather, and this is most unfair."

Nadal railed against the invasiveness of the drug-testing system.

"I was on Monday in Madrid. I was with my friends. Then I have a bath. My mother called me. She told me the guys were in my house in Madrid. It was my only free evening. I have to take this anti-doping control.

"[David] Ferrer and Fernando [Verdasco] were tested as well, at 6 a.m. because they had played a five-set match. It's crazy. I don't know if, from the legal point of view, this is correct. That is, to know where you are every single moment of your life, and to account for this. It's wrong.

"I want tennis to be as clean as possible, of course. This is crystal clear. But there's room for maneuvering. You see, there's a certain type of leeway.

Eimear O'Mahony
05-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Yeah I just read Rafa's comments on the Eurosport site and I was really delighted he spoke out in defence of Richard. He seems like a really good friend to Richard and just what he needs right now (no matter what language they communicate in :lol:)

Schu
05-29-2009, 08:24 PM
:worship: Rafa. At least someone has enough guts to say something other than than the politically correct answer (unlike a few of his other "friends"). I've always thought Nadal was a pretty classy guy and he just keeps getting classier. Gald to know Richie is at least talking to people.

Interesting his kiss a girl scenerio - didn't a few amatuer defense attorneys here on MTF come up with that also?

Eimear O'Mahony
05-29-2009, 08:51 PM
I found that interesting too Schu ... I wonder if that's Rafa's subtle way of telling us what Richard told him if you get me? He could have had a kiss with a girl who might have done coke. It is a very interesting theory and could well explain the small amount

Cloudygirl
05-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Ok so I'm def not an expert on cocaine or drug testing but I really fail to believe that you can fail a drugs test from kissing someone who has done coke. Passive inhaling yup I get that, absorbing through the skin yup I get that too but kissing??

Am I being naive because I don't get it, I really don't.

Eimear O'Mahony
05-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Well if there were any traces of coke on the girl's gum or anything and they were kissing or whatever Richard could easily digest it I would imagine. It wouldn't be a huge amount or enough to make him high but the amount he had in his system was very small so while it may be a little far fetched it could actually be true 'cause fluids are swapped while kissing lets be honest. But who knows? Its all just pure speculation

Cloudygirl
05-29-2009, 09:37 PM
It wasn't that small amount. It is a small amount but still 3 times the lab minimum. I know there have been legal cases where people have claimed that they have tested positive for illegal substances due to erm swapping bodily fluid and it has never been a successful defence to my knowledge.

Interesting though.

Eimear O'Mahony
05-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Well you'd def know more about the legal issues than I would Tori ;) I don't know, I just don't know. I guess we're all just clinging to any hope we can get right now

Cloudygirl
05-29-2009, 09:47 PM
I only know what I have googled to be honest. i can't say that the law regarding doping was ever part of my curriculum. Pity it wasn't, would have interested me a lot more than equity and trusts.

reggie1
05-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Yes,I can just imagine you on "Mastermind" Tori, "And my specialist subject is the
swapping of bodily fluids and the failed drug tests that then may follow in Sport!" :lol:

Cloudygirl
05-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Yes,I can just imagine you on "Mastermind" Tori, "And my specialist subject is the
swapping of bodily fluids and the failed drug tests that then may follow in Sport!" :lol:

yep I def missed a trick there ;). I think I could have done a medical law module which maybe covered stuff like that (I have no clue) but I did intellectual property instead. :sad:

reggie1
05-29-2009, 11:15 PM
You'd have had more fun with bodily fluids Tori and that's not something you hear everyday :lol:

Cloudygirl
05-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Yup it would be far more interesting at parties to be able to advise people on sex related doping issues than patent infringement ;)

PinkFeatherBoa
05-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Thanks for all the updates, everyone.

Some nice words there from Rafa.... :) :yeah:

scmom
05-30-2009, 12:22 AM
I am so happy that Rafa continues to support and be in contact with Richard
two of my favorite players - good to know they get along
and I do admire Nadal for standing up for his friend

very interesting theory about the kiss being the vehicle for getting the coke in your system
that would have to be some juicy kiss - I would imagine
but I guess it is not totally impossible - if the girl had trace amounts of cocaine on her face or lips

definitely more interesting to study this than some other law topics, Tori :)

Lemon Custard
05-30-2009, 05:35 AM
Wow! That's great to see! I think it takes a lot of guts for such a popular and well known player to come out in Richie's defense like this. Particularly considering just how many players have avoided making a statement. It's also nice to know there's some support on a personal level going on. I can't imagine how Richie feels right now, but I bet he needs all the help he can get. It's good to know he's getting some. :)

reggie1
05-30-2009, 09:34 PM
It's made me like Rafa even more and I liked what Roger and Marat said too.

Keijan
05-31-2009, 11:20 AM
According to l'équipe, Richard is in Paris this week. He was seen in the Serera, a fancy restaurant on the Champs Elysées, he had dinner with Noah, Mac Enroe and a few other people.

Cloudygirl
05-31-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks for letting us know that Marion.

Hopefully that means he is getting plenty of support from people in the tennis world.

I just hope he is still doing training and not just eating lots of fancy meals ;)

Davodus
05-31-2009, 12:13 PM
:eek:

i went to that restaurant!

Cloudygirl
05-31-2009, 01:23 PM
:eek:

i went to that restaurant!

was it nice?

Davodus
05-31-2009, 01:42 PM
yes it was

very nice

PinkFeatherBoa
05-31-2009, 04:06 PM
According to l'équipe, Richard is in Paris this week. He was seen in the Serera, a fancy restaurant on the Champs Elysées, he had dinner with Noah, Mac Enroe and a few other people.

Yeah, Mats also mentioned this on last night's 'Game, Set and Mats'- there were a lot of ex players there, sounded really nice.

The dialogue went a bit like this (from memory):

Annabelle Croft: Mats, how was your dinner with Mac last night?
Mats: Yeah. It was really good fun- there were a lot of ex players there...and Richard Gasquet, he was there. Then he talked about how no one could believe that he took drugs and how they were all behind him and supporting him because he's a great guy. I think he also mentioned how the comparitive punishment with banning for Steroid use is ridiculous and they all hope something can be worked out.

It was quite nice to hear these words from Wilander, especially as he was saying it because he wanted to make his point, not because he was asked for his view.

Schu
05-31-2009, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the news. Glad to know Richard is not in total hibernation and many high profile players (and ex-players) are supporting him. And yes Tori I hope he is still training and not just eating!

This maybe just my grabbing at straws (no pun intended) here but I am feeling the news over the last few days is a positive sign. First Lagardere who has basically been silent on the issue said something. And the fact that he mentioned that Richard is waiting on the results of several other tests that would help his defense seems encouraging to me. I just don't think he would mention this at all if he did not already think/know the results were good. In fact I'm sure he was advised to keep quiet about this. And now we hear that Richard shows up in Paris in a high profile restaurant during RG - confident sign to me. And even if the news is not good I'm glad he is out of hiding and moving on... Hang in there Richie!

Cloudygirl
05-31-2009, 07:41 PM
Indeed hang in there Richie you have a lot of support.

Naina
05-31-2009, 07:42 PM
I miss him. :sad: the closer wimbledon gets the more sad I get that Rich wont be there.

Glad he is better.

tennisfan444
05-31-2009, 11:03 PM
I miss him! Thanks for all the updates everyone!

ds_hockeygrl1536
06-01-2009, 01:26 PM
John McEnroe just said during the Federer-Haas match that he thinks Richard is innocent. He didn't say anything more.

mayagaller
06-01-2009, 04:57 PM
I knew I liked Johnny Mac for a reason! ;)

scmom
06-01-2009, 06:46 PM
ok- watching the Tsonga /Del Potro match and Johnny Mac came out in full support of Richard
Mentioned, as you all said before , he saw Richard at a restaurant in Paris this week. That Gasquet maintains his innocence.
But here is where Johnny Mac came to the rescue - He said he firmly believes in innocent until proven guilty and he hates that Gasquet is not able to play
right now - as he is not been proven guilty. He said that Gasquet is being prosecuted for what amounts to less than1/4 of a line of coke - and there are many ways
that little amount could get into your system ( ahem - Johnny Mac should know , as his past drug usage has been documented in print) . His quote was I believe the guy should be given a chance
and IF - worst case scenario he is guilty - he should be given a chance to rehab and get help while continuing to work , not destroying a young man's career over this,
He said - if anyone actually believes that cocaine is performance enhancing - he challenged them, sarcastically . to snort a line and try to go play a set .

gotta love Johnny Mac

but really I love that such a high profile former champ is coming out in support of Richard

Eimear O'Mahony
06-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Johnny Mac ... I love him :worship: :worship: :worship: As usual he gets it spot on!!!

reggie1
06-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Oh thanks for the info :hug: I think most people side with John and think this is all very harsh. I felt a bit sick watching RG today as this has been a tournie full of surprises and Richie could have done well there. Such a shame and so very unfair. And I would say this if any player had been treated the way he has.

Schu
06-01-2009, 11:02 PM
:worship: BRAVO Johnny Mac - once again just telling it like it is. Agree 100% with all he said. Thanks for the report. Johnny Mac needs to tell the WADA/ITF "You can NOT be serious". Johnny Mac always drooled over Richard's talent but often criticized his "heart" so it's not like he is Richie's groupie saying this either.

Maybe some good will come out of all this as the players will get fired up enough to really cause a stink and change the absurd rules - and Richie is the hero.

case
06-01-2009, 11:15 PM
i hope the atp and itf will listen and get some sense and humanity.

i agree that this is all so harsh and cruel. if he is an addict why not enforce rehab? personally i think it has more to do with punishing a person than to do with keeping the sport clean.

dont know if anyone else saw this article:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/2009-05-31-recreational-drug-issue_N.htm

i never have liked the Bryan Bros.- a good example for kids is not convicting and sentencing BEFORE a trial nor is it treating an addict as a pariah or criminal.
Reason and humanity along with rehab are what i would want to be an example for my kids

JBdV
06-02-2009, 10:22 PM
ok- watching the Tsonga /Del Potro match and Johnny Mac came out in full support of Richard
Mentioned, as you all said before , he saw Richard at a restaurant in Paris this week. That Gasquet maintains his innocence.
But here is where Johnny Mac came to the rescue - He said he firmly believes in innocent until proven guilty and he hates that Gasquet is not able to play
right now - as he is not been proven guilty. He said that Gasquet is being prosecuted for what amounts to less than1/4 of a line of coke - and there are many ways
that little amount could get into your system ( ahem - Johnny Mac should know , as his past drug usage has been documented in print) . His quote was I believe the guy should be given a chance
and IF - worst case scenario he is guilty - he should be given a chance to rehab and get help while continuing to work , not destroying a young man's career over this,
He said - if anyone actually believes that cocaine is performance enhancing - he challenged them, sarcastically . to snort a line and try to go play a set .

Thanks for that :yeah: Didn't realise the amount of cocaine found in his system was such a small one in real terms, that puts things in perspective.

Cloudygirl
06-02-2009, 11:17 PM
http://www.humanite.fr/2009-06-02_Sports_Le-Team-Lagardere-entretient-le-flou

article about the restructuring of team lagardere

Puschkin
06-03-2009, 07:25 AM
article about the restructuring of team lagardere
I think the reasons behind all that are mostly economic. Lagardère just cant afford it anymore.

Cloudygirl
06-03-2009, 07:53 AM
I agree I just think it is interesting and it relates to Richard so I thought I would post it.

Puschkin
06-03-2009, 09:55 AM
I agree I just think it is interesting and it relates to Richard so I thought I would post it.
of course, we are eager for any article just mentioning his name.

Schu
06-03-2009, 05:40 PM
I think the reasons behind all that are mostly economic. Lagardère just cant afford it anymore.

Yes, I think I read this was planned months before "la affaire Gasquet". It is interesting how the 4 left are RIchie and 3 others who have reached their peak and are on the way down (hate to say that about PHM and Benny, but probably true). Just doesn't seem like the optimal situation for Richie to be training in anymore(assuming that RIchie comes back SOON to tennis, PLEASE!!!!). He needs intense trainers and young guys on his heals that will push him not an environment that is basically "restructuring" in a new direction.

I've said before I think Richie needs to get out of the French cocoon like Murray and Verdasco did. Assuming he's back soon and with the "reorganization" at Team Lagardiere the time is right for a change. But I suspect he would never leave especially after the recent support he has gotten from Team Lagardiere unless the Team actually wanted him to leave so they could "reorganize" even more.

Puschkin
06-03-2009, 08:01 PM
But I suspect he would never leave especially after the recent support he has gotten from Team Lagardiere unless the Team actually wanted him to leave so they could "reorganize" even more.

Interesting aspect. I never thought about it in that way. Well, my dream coach for Richie is known for a long time, even if he is French: Fabrice! :) Fabrice knows that one has to work hard, otherwise his career would never have lasted for so long and Fabrice knows that one has to do things in one's one way to succeed. Two good lessons.

*MJP*
06-04-2009, 02:18 AM
Glad to hear that Richard is out and about and that he is getting lots of support. I just hope that the hearing is soon & that he gets a favourable result. Im sick of missing Richard in tournaments :( Lets hope that this whole terrible saga is ova with soon.

Cloudygirl
06-04-2009, 07:48 AM
I don't think that the team do want rid of him because if they did this was an excellent chance to drop him like a hot potato.

Puschkin
06-04-2009, 08:59 AM
jeremie_mani posted this on rgnet from L'Equipe paper version:

Richard obviously took part in a charity football match and was cheered by the crowds. GREAT.

Tiens, revoilà Gasquet!

QUELQUES MINUTES après l'élimination de Gaël Monfil s, un autre champion français prenait le relais à trois cents mètres de Roland-Garros. C'était sur le grand rectangle vert du
Stade Jean-B ouin, et c'était .. Richard Gasquet, qui faisa it sa première apparition publique depuis son contrôle positif à la cocaïne à Miami fin mars. Numéro 9 sur ledos, il était l'avant-centre de l'équipe du Variétés Club de France, le club des anciens joueurs et des célébrités, opposée à l'équipe des parlementaires pour un match de bienfaisance au profit de l'Institut Pasteur. Son ami Jacques Vendroux, le président du Variétés, l'avait conva incu de venir prendre un bol d'air sportif pour se changer les idées. Aux côtés
de Claude Puel ou d'Antoine Kombouaré, face à des adversaires comme les ministres tric Besson ou tric Woerth, le tennisman n'aura pas regretté son début de so irée passé à arpenter le front de l'attaque avec vivacité. Après avoir signé des autographes, il pouvait entendre le public, bon enfant, crier des « Richard, Richard ". honneur sonore que lui seul pouva it revendiquer. Sans pa rler de son match à un but (frappe croisée imparable), convaincant, juste avant le coup de pompe de la seconde période ... «Il a une belle patte mais j'ai mis quarante minutes pour me rendre compte qu'il était gaucher ". souriait Christophe Chenut, directeur général chez Lacoste, son sponsor.
- F. Ra.

Renaud
06-04-2009, 10:43 AM
«Il a une belle patte mais j'ai mis quarante minutes pour me rendre compte qu'il était gaucher ". souriait Christophe Chenut, directeur général chez Lacoste, son sponsor.

:scratch:, I did not know that. Did you Margareta ?

Puschkin
06-04-2009, 10:48 AM
:scratch:, I did not know that. Did you Margareta ?

That is for his football, no? I had troubles anyway to understand if all this was about playing football or tennis, but when I asked on rgnet people confirmed it was about football

Frankly I don't care much about his football skills. :o But it's good that he gets in touch with the world again. It would make me even more happy to know that he also works on his tennis right now, to hope for a blasting return on the courts soon.....

Keijan
06-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Margareta, this was a charity exhibition for an hospital which takes place every year. It's a football match between sportsmen/celebrities and ministers/politicians. Richard was attacking (striker ? :shrug:) and scored a goal. He has always been playing this event for as long as I remember.

«Il a une belle patte mais j'ai mis quarante minutes pour me rendre compte qu'il était gaucher ".
It means he's hitting the ball with his left foot, despite being right-handed. The Lacoste director jokes that it took him 40 minutes to discover that because Richard wasn't touching the ball before :lol:

Thanks for the news :D it's great to hear he's not hiding anywhere and that the crowd was cheering for him :)

Puschkin
06-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Margareta, this was a charity exhibition for an hospital which takes place every year. It's a football match between sportsmen/celebrities and ministers/politicians. Richard was attacking (striker ? :shrug:) and scored a goal. He has always been playing this event for as long as I remember.
Thanks for the clarifications. But when I read "frappe croisée imparable", my imagination was in tennis, not in football :p, hence my confusion. :o

reggie1
06-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I remember seeing pics of this event last year as he played with Sarkozy's son. I'm glad too that he's out and about, it shows he has nothing to be ashamed of. His current ban ends 12th July if I remember rightly so this hearing should be happening soon hopefully.

Schu
06-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Good to see him out and about and getting support from the French crowd. No photos? I'd love to see how he's held up through this (not to mention I'd just love to see him again).

Hope that somewhere he is also hitting some tennis balls cuz I'm going to send out the positive vibes in predicting that this whole nightmare will end in July with a good result. And he will be back on tour, better than ever with a whole new group of supporters. And nobody better rain on my parade (ahem WADA)...

In the meantime I'm dreading Wimbledon!! but quite looking forward to the FO semis. Soderling-Gonzo should be very interesting and I'll definitely have a fav for Federer-DelPotro match.

krn81
06-04-2009, 07:21 PM
An article from Gael Monfils who is talking about Richard:
http://www.rmc.fr/edito/sport/80216/monfils-%C7a-a-ete-tres-dur-pour-richard/
Nothing news, he is preparing his defense and he has the support from Gael but also from Jo and Gilles who are calling him, seeing him and supporting him.
Gael also said that Richard told him that he was innocent and that he was trapped. And Gael also said that he trusted him that Richard would not lie to him. He also says that it is not to take his defense but when you are a supportive at this level, they know that they faced lot of anti doping test, so he trusted what Richard told him.
He also said that Richard is getting better.

I will try to listen tomorrow morning Europe 1 but anyway all journalists will listen him and we will know fast what he said.

Keijan
06-04-2009, 07:45 PM
:D Thanks so much for this, Karine ! It's wonderful to read that :worship: hopefully it'll make people shut up about how bad his friends are :lol: It's pretty obvious now that they've been fully supporting him in private.

"He knows we're all there for him." Gaël :inlove:

Eimear O'Mahony
06-04-2009, 08:03 PM
:D Thanks so much for this, Karine ! It's wonderful to read that :worship: hopefully it'll make people shut up about how bad his friends are :lol: It's pretty obvious now that they've been fully supporting him in private.

"He knows we're all there for him." Gaël :inlove:

Was that yet another dig at me Marion??? Kinda sick of them now at this stage. It's getting pretty sad and pathetic

~*BGT*~
06-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Was that charity match in Paris? :sad: I would have LOVED to go there. :sobbing:

:wavey: Tout le monde btw. :lol:

reggie1
06-04-2009, 08:14 PM
So is a statement being made tomorrow then? I'm easily confused :retard::lol: thanks Karine for the update :hug:

Tess Gray
06-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Yes vikcy, tomorrow morning:)

But Eimear, it wasnt a dig at you.:)

Eimear O'Mahony
06-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Well tbh there have been so many promises about statements being made either by Richard himself or on Richard's behalf I don't think I'm going to believe it until I log on tomorrow and see he's actually made a statement. That's not meant in a negative way I'm just trying to be realistic and not get my hopes up too much

Cloudygirl
06-04-2009, 08:46 PM
http://www.ozap.com/actu/richard-gasquet-sort-silence-demain-europe/280426

what is Europe 1?Is that a radio station or am I being really thick. (probably thick!)

Eimear O'Mahony
06-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Oh thanks for that Tori! That sounds pretty definite to me then :D I can't wait to hear Richie finally break his silence on the whole sorry affair

reggie1
06-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Me too Eimear, I'll be really interested to hear of this whole "trap" thing that Gael mentioned. I haven't been able to click on that link Tori, (laptop probs) but do we know what time tomorrow? not that I'm eager of course :lol:

Cloudygirl
06-04-2009, 09:03 PM
8.50 am tomorrow Paris time. I think is it a radio station? If so maybe you could listen online. I am driving to work at that time and therefore not possible to me.

Seems an odd move to me speaking out for the first time on radio rather than at a presser I would think it is a bit more risky espec if it is live radio.

I don't get the trapped thing either and what that means. Is it a translation thing I wonder I don't get it anyway.

reggie1
06-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Oh I did manage to open the link, thanks Tori. I had to use google translate but it seems that Richard will be interviewed at 7.50 our time on the radio then? At least, we won't see the awkward fidgeting and nervous stares for which will probably be one of the hardest things he has ever had to do. Poor Richard. Good idea to do this on the radio imho.

Eimear O'Mahony
06-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Well the only thing I can think of the radio rather than the presser is that Richard won't feel so under the microscope on air if that makes sense? If he does a presser he's got video cameras and photo cameras in his face, people staring at him and maybe he doesn't feel ready for that kind of scrutiny just yet and would feel more confident doing a one-on-one radio interview. I could be wrong but just my opinion

reggie1
06-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Actually, I wonder if he will read a prepared statement or whether it will be an actual itw? Thanks again Tori :hug: I wondered too, if the "trapped" thing has lost or gained something in translation. I bet some girl is involved in this story somewhere.

reggie1
06-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Well the only thing I can think of the radio rather than the presser is that Richard won't feel so under the microscope on air if that makes sense? If he does a presser he's got video cameras and photo cameras in his face, people staring at him and maybe he doesn't feel ready for that kind of scrutiny just yet and would feel more confident doing a one-on-one radio interview. I could be wrong but just my opinionGreat minds think alike :lol:

*MJP*
06-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Yay! A statement tomorrow? It will be good to hear from him again. I just hope that his statement shows that he has a strong case!

Renaud
06-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Europe 1 = Lagardere's radio :)

Keijan
06-04-2009, 10:01 PM
You should be able to listen to it live tomorrow at 8:50am, local time:
http://www.europe1.fr/
here is the direct link : http://webradio.europe1.fr/V4/europe1/player_V5.html?webradio=europe1 but I don't know if it works abroad.
I'll listen to it live tomorrow myself and I'll try to make a summary if you want.

To answer the other questions :

- Tori, Europe 1 is a big french radio station, one of the most respected. It's not a music radio, more like a news radio, they're talking about politics, sport and stuff (is there a name in english for that?) So it's a very serious radio. Lagardère is indeed owning the rights but I don't know if he's the director or the major shareholder (not sure of the word here, actionnaire ?)

- Vicky, it's an actual interview and not a statement it seems. The interviewer is Marc Olivier Fogiel, which is what I'm most worried about :scared: The guy is a bulldog and loves scandals. He got numerous lawsuits by celebrities because he was pretty horrible to them, either on his radio or tv show. Richie could have seriously dreamt better for his first interview since a month. I don't think Lagardère owning the radio will have much to do with Fogiel's behaviour :/ he's probably just going to be his usual self. But maybe he toned it down since his last scandal, I hope so :/

- Eimear, my previous post wasn't a dig at you. A lot of people have been saying, not only on mtf but also journalists on wlt for example, that Richard's friends have been betraying him, etc. Today it has become obvious that it wasn't the case, that they (at least the three of them) have been supporting him since the beginning, and it made me happy to point this out. Maybe you could put me on ignore if you really feel like all my posts are aiming at hurting you :shrug: I don't know what to add at this point.

Eimear O'Mahony
06-04-2009, 10:20 PM
I always said from the beginning I'm sure the three boys were supporting them privately. The only thing I said against them was that Jo's comments were very unsupportive which I still stand by. It has made me think a LOT less of Jo and I realise that will anger Jo's fans but we are all entitled to our own opinion

Schu
06-04-2009, 10:22 PM
here is the direct link : http://webradio.europe1.fr/V4/europe1/player_V5.html?webradio=europe1 but I don't know if it works abroad.
I'll listen to it live tomorrow myself and I'll try to make a summary if you want.

- Tori, Europe 1 is a big french radio station, one of the most respected. It's not a music radio, more like a news radio, they're talking about politics, sport and stuff (is there a name in english for that?) So it's a very serious radio. Lagardère is indeed owning the rights but I don't know if he's the director or the major shareholder (not sure of the word here, actionnaire ?)

- Vicky, it's an actual interview and not a statement it seems. The interviewer is Marc Olivier Fogiel, which is what I'm most worried about :scared: The guy is a bulldog and loves scandals. He got numerous lawsuits by celebrities because he was pretty horrible to them, either on his radio or tv show. Richie could have seriously dreamt better for his first interview since a month. I don't think Lagardère owning the radio will have much to do with Fogiel's behaviour :/ he's probably just going to be his usual self. But maybe he toned it down since his last scandal, I hope so :/

- Eimear, my previous post wasn't a dig at you. A lot of people have been saying, not only on mtf but also journalists on wlt for example, that Richard's friends have been betraying him, etc. Today it has become obvious that it wasn't the case, that they (at least the three of them) have been supporting him since the beginning, and it made me happy to point this out. Maybe you could put me on ignore if you really feel like all my posts are aiming at hurting you :shrug: I don't know what to add at this point. Now, of course if anyone is "getting sick" of my posts or think that I'm "pretty sad and pathetic" or going too far, I'll be glad to cut them down immediatly.

Thanks for all the info! That type of radio is called "talk radio" in the US. ANd it can get pretty tough depending on the host.

I was one of those people who expressed disappointment at that fact that some of richard's friends were not supporting him in PUBLIC as much as some of his other friends were. I'm glad to know they are all supporting him. However I still contend that there is a difference between behind the scenes support and having enough guts to do it/say it in public and I think that is what those who criticized his friends meant. THat's just how I feel and it might not mean anything to Richard or anyone else. The nice thing about this forum is that we can express different opinions without getting nasty so I hope I didn't offend anyone with my comments.

YOur information and comments are always appreciated especially by those of us who are "language challenged" so keep it coming.

Does anyone read anything into the fact that his interview comes on the morning of the Roland Garros men's semi- finals?

Keijan
06-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks for all the info! That type of radio is called "talk radio" in the US. ANd it can get pretty tough depending on the host.

I was one of those people who expressed disappointment at that fact that some of richard's friends were not supporting him in PUBLIC as much as some of his other friends were. I'm glad to know they are all supporting him. However I still contend that there is a difference between behind the scenes support and having enough guts to do it/say it in public and I think that is what those who criticized his friends meant. THat's just how I feel and it might not mean anything to Richard or anyone else. The nice thing about this forum is that we can express different opinions without getting nasty so I hope I didn't offend anyone with my comments.

YOur information and comments are always appreciated especially by those of us who are "language challenged" so keep it coming.

Does anyone read anything into the fact that his interview comes on the morning of the Roland Garros men's semi- finals?

You're welcome :)

Yeah we don't agree on that part, I felt that if they weren't commenting on it it was probably at Richard's request, and I wanted to respect that no matter how frustrating it was for me as a fan of both Richard and the other 3 guys. But I see what you mean and I'd like them to explain that too and say once for all if Richard asked them not to or if they refused to support him publicly. But as long as I don't know I'm giving them the benefit of doubt ;)

I don't know if we should read too much into that... maybe he just happened to be in Paris because of that charity event and they had a free day at Fogiel's show (he's usually always receiving politicians, he's actually one of the most famous journalists around), so they decided on that date, Roland or not :shrug:

A pic of Fogiel if anyone wants to represent themselves his face during the interview ;)
http://www.gala.fr/var/gal/storage/images/les_stars/leurs_bio/fogiel_marc_olivier/images/marc_olivier_fogiel/425451-1-fre-FR/marc_olivier_fogiel_reference.jpg

Cloudygirl
06-04-2009, 11:44 PM

- Eimear, my previous post wasn't a dig at you. A lot of people have been saying, not only on mtf but also journalists on wlt for example, that Richard's friends have been betraying him, etc. Today it has become obvious that it wasn't the case, that they (at least the three of them) have been supporting him since the beginning, and it made me happy to point this out. Maybe you could put me on ignore if you really feel like all my posts are aiming at hurting you :shrug: I don't know what to add at this point.

Thanks Marion I hope the interviewer isn't too tough. I imagine if he felt he had a lot to hide that there is no way that he would do such an interview so hopefully he feels quite confident about his position. Well I'm making assumptions or it is wishful thinking but we will see tomorrow. I still think it is definitely more high risk than doing a press conference or answering pre released questions as they could ask him anything.

If you could do a summary of it that would def help me as I will be leaving for work around then anyway and besides that if I'm honest I would have to listen to the interview about 5 times to get the gist anyway. I do not find Richard's accent that easy to understand.

Cloudygirl
06-05-2009, 12:26 AM
http://www.europe1.fr/Info/Actualite-France/Faits-divers/Exclusif-Gasquet-n-a-jamais-pris-de-cocaine-de-sa-vie/(gid)/227093

well a bit of a preview. So he is saying he hasn't ever taken cocaine?

Keijan
06-05-2009, 12:53 AM
What a find, Tori :worship: thanks !

He's saying he never ever took cocaine, the doc told him he had about 1/10° of a line in his body, which explains, according to them, why he didn't feel anything of the effects of the drug. He talked with a guy from the party later, who told him there was a lot of cocaine in that party that night, which if Richard had learnt at the time, he would have left immediatly the club. He's saying he didn't sleep for a few nights after learning about the positive control. He's going to intent a lawsuit (I forgot the word again, Tetta sorry, I know it's not intent :lol:) for administration of forbidden and harmful substances. But he doesn't give any explanation as to how it got into his body. Maybe more tomorrow :shrug:

(sorry, I'm afraid my english is terrible, it's a bit late)

Cloudygirl
06-05-2009, 01:03 AM
I was looking to see if the radio had a listen again facility anywhere and came across the article. Your English is great all the time!

Call me naive but I would have thought that if you go clubbing in any major city it is a given that there are drugs there. Especially somewhere like Miami that has the reputation of being a party town.

emilie
06-05-2009, 01:09 AM
It's a girl who told him about the fact that there were a lot of cocaïne that night. Not a guy. Probably a girl he dated there:p
If he doesn't know how it came into his body, I wonder how he will avoid the 2 years ban.
I am really worried now and moreover nobody will believe him

Cloudygirl
06-05-2009, 01:14 AM
Lots of people do seem to believe him though. High profile people in the tennis world and I think his team certainly do believe him. Speaking out before any hearing is a risky strategy as it basically gives away your line of defence and I don't think he would be being advised to do that unless his legal people were quite confident.

Keijan
06-05-2009, 01:15 AM
I'm not sure it's a girl, he's saying "elle" but it refers to "une personne" ("someone") so it could be both, really :shrug:

I agree with you both, but I like the fact that he's so sure of himself :D I didn't really believe he hadn't taken anything before hearing that, but now I'm inclined to believe him ;)

Cloudygirl
06-05-2009, 01:17 AM
His body language looks good. he isn't looking shifty or fidgeting or doing anything of the twitchy things people tend to do when they are fibbing.

tennis lover
06-05-2009, 01:42 AM
oh, it's so good to see him out and about and not hiding. :D :hug: I look forward to hearing the rest of what he has to say tomorrow although there is no chance I will be up at 7.50am because I had my last exam today and it has just hit me how exhausted I am! :o

It's also nice to hear that he got a good reception at the football match, hopefully that gave his confidence a boost. :D

Cloudygirl
06-05-2009, 02:34 AM
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2009/20090604_210641_gasquet-je-reviendrai.html

Davodus
06-05-2009, 04:58 AM
thanks for all the info so far everyone

very interesting, i hope his statement or whatever goes really well today :sobbing:

Schu
06-05-2009, 05:03 AM
Great find Tori.

He looks really good, I expected him to look like shit. He's talking a million words a minute so there isn't a chance I could understand ANYTHING so thanks for the summary. His head is still bobbing all over the place but he is maintaining some eye contact (did I even see a little smile) and doesn't appear to be fidgeting with everything.

The radio interview will be middle of the night for me (just a few hours from now) but I'm off to bed. I'll probably check out his interview before I even look at the RG semis which will be on TV when I wake up. I hope he has a smokin' gun up his sleeve to explain how even that small amount got into his system without his knowledge.

and YESSSSS!
"En guise de conclusion à cette interview, Richard Gasquet affirme qu'il reprendra le chemin des courts : «Je reviendrai, je n'ai que 23 ans. Ça n'est pas comme si ça m'était tombé dessus à 32 ans. Ma carrière est encore devant moi.»" He'll be back! I did understand that right?

Puschkin
06-05-2009, 07:04 AM
His body language looks good. he isn't looking shifty or fidgeting.
My thoughts exactly. Confident and sure of what he says. Compare that to his interview from last year when he withdrew from Roland Garros. You'll see the difference.

Puschkin
06-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Gasquet passe à l’offensive

Contrôlé positif à la cocaïne à Miami en mars, le tennisman Richard Gasquet risque jusqu’à deux ans de suspension.Il a décidé de se défendre en portant plainte contre X.

Trois semaines après la révélation de son contrôle positif à la cocaïne, le tennisman français a déposé plainte contre X hier pour « administration de substance nuisible ayant porté atteinte à son intégrité physique » auprès du procureur de la République de Paris. En clair, Richard Gasquet se serait retrouvé avec de la cocaïne dans ses urines à la suite de ce qu’il désigne comme une « contamination extérieure » dans le document que nous nous sommes procuré.

A l’appui de sa plainte, il rappelle sa version de la nuit du 27 au 28 mars à Miami, quelques heures avant d’être soumis au contrôle antidopage par les organisateurs du tournoi où il venait de déclarer forfait.

Deux vodka-pomme

Sans incriminer personne, Richard Gasquet insiste sur les deux vodka-pomme qu’il a consommés cette nuit-là dans une discothèque de Miami. La première lui a été tendue par Thierry Champion, ancien joueur devenu coach. La seconde, il l’a consommée au bar avec une Française, Pamela, qui faisait partie du groupe qui l’accompagnait. A la lecture de sa plainte, on comprend que ce sont les seuls moments où il aurait pu être victime d’une « contamination extérieure » à la cocaïne.

Cette offensive judiciaire va sûrement aboutir à l’ouverture d’une enquête et l’audition de toutes les personnes citées par le joueur dans sa plainte, de Thierry Champion au DJ Bob Sinclar, qui l’a invité à sa table, en passant par un groupe de jeunes femmes qui les accompagnaient. Contacté hier soir, Thierry Champion s’est refusé à tout commentaire.
Passé du mutisme total à la contre-attaque, Richard Gasquet a sans doute conscience qu’il joue très gros à quelques semaines de son audition par le tribunal antidopage de la Fédération internationale de tennis où il risque jusqu’à deux ans de suspension. Reste que sa version de la « contamination extérieure » par de la cocaïne suscite beaucoup de scepticisme chez les scientifiques.

Source: http://www.leparisien.fr/faits-divers/dopage-gasquet-passe-a-l-offensive-05-06-2009-537239.php

I am quite suprised, that is indeed a counter-attack. I can't believe he goes for that unless he is totally sure of himself, given the fact that he is not a natural fighter.

krn81
06-05-2009, 07:40 AM
he is talking now on Europe 1!
I missed the beginning, it was not at 8.50 but before....

Puschkin
06-05-2009, 07:44 AM
He is already on the radio

Cloudygirl
06-05-2009, 07:47 AM
what is he saying? I have to leave for work in about 2 mins but I thought I would just check in

Cloudygirl
06-05-2009, 07:55 AM
http://www.capital.fr/a-la-une/actualites/confidentiels/exclusif-arnaud-lagardere-limoge-trois-dirigeants-de-son-staff-sport-apres-l-affaire-gasquet-388154

team lagardere but interesting from a Richie perspective. Anyway had better go to work.

krn81
06-05-2009, 07:56 AM
I missed the beginning. But the interview will be available on internet.

He was really confident and still dont know how the cocaine arrived in his body. He also said that he was happy that Nadal supported him and he is waiting to meet Leconte, he has something to tell him (oh i would love to be a small mouse to see that). He decided to go to court, that the police can investigate how it happens.
His coach was there at the party, he also said that if he knew there were cocaine there, he will leave the party. At the beginning it was difficult but he is better now, and he does not believe he can be banned 2 years because he is innocent. He said that he also called his doctor when he needs to take an aspirine because he is carefully with doping.
He also mentionned than one time that he is not a party guy. You cant be number 7 and a party guy.
To finish he said that he will come stronger because he knew tennis was his life before but after this,, he even believes stronger on his tennis life.
if I understood well, the itf court will be on june 29th.
He said he is happy that Roland garros is almost finish because sometimes it was difficult, he wanted to destroy his tv more than one time when he was listenning was the journalists were saying about his positive test.

It is a quick summary but he was looking confident and if everything will be ok, i have feeling he will come back stronger.

krn81
06-05-2009, 07:58 AM
i think the video is here:
http://www.europe1.fr/Info/Actualite-France/Faits-divers/Exclusif-Gasquet-n-a-jamais-pris-de-cocaine/(gid)/227093
I cant see it, the videos are blocked from my work.

*MJP*
06-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Hey thanks very much for the update and translation. Im glad that Richie is starting to feel a little better now. Also glad that he has taken the matter to the police - i just wish he had some idea about how the cocaine got into his system :shrug: June 29th is still a while away tho!

Keijan
06-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Yeah it was at 8:36 in the end.

You said about all Karine. He does not have an explanation, only hypothesis, and he's counting a lot on the police investigation to clear that out.
He passed an DNA test after he learnt about the positive test, and he thanks the ITF for accepting it -it's the first time they do. The DNA was positive too but it took around 15 days to find the laboratory and have the results, that's why he didn't comment before. He was strongly hoping it would come out negative because he is innocent.
He's talking about the party, they came back at 4am, he drank a vodka-apple, some water and another vodka apple, so somewhere in that it happened.

Fogiel was horrible as always. He spoke about Virenque, if Richard was going to pull the same defense as he did "I don't know how it got into my system", Richard told him "I can't let you say this, it's the lamest joke I've heard so far". Well answered :o When he made a joke about not crossing the white line of the tennis court or something, Richard went "yeah, others found that one before you" :lol:

I'm going to listen to it again, but he's pretty much saying the same thing all over again, that he's innocent and that the amount of coke in his body attests it : no one would be taking cocaine in such a small amount. The problem is, I remember I read somewhere the amount of coke lowers really fast so I'm afraid it's a very weak defense :help:

krn81
06-05-2009, 08:33 AM
The answers of Richard to fogiel about crossing the lines was great.
Where I got the most surprised is that he is really confident and almost sure he will not get 2 years ban. Maybe there is an hypothesis or something else that he knows, did not say yet and sure of it and that is waiting to meet the itf to expose :shrug:

Puschkin
06-05-2009, 08:37 AM
http://www.capital.fr/a-la-une/actualites/confidentiels/exclusif-arnaud-lagardere-limoge-trois-dirigeants-de-son-staff-sport-apres-l-affaire-gasquet-388154

team lagardere but interesting from a Richie perspective. Anyway had better go to work.

So Guillaume will have to go? :eek:

Keijan
06-05-2009, 08:40 AM
The podcast is already out :
http://www.europe1.fr/Radio/ecoute-podcasts/info/Forcement-sur-Europe-1-Marc-Olivier-Fogiel/Forcement-sur-Europe-1-05-06-09

No video yet.

Keijan
06-05-2009, 08:43 AM
It means Peyre, Barbarin and Champion are leaving the team, because Lagardère considers them responsible of the coke story. Maybe it only means they won't be paid anymore by the team, but Richard might still keep them -at least for Barbarin and Peyre.

case
06-05-2009, 09:03 AM
he passed a dna test but failed and the ITF accepted the results?

i dont get it. passed usually means that in this case he didnt have coke in his system, but then he says the test showed that he did have it. also why would the itf care about the dna since their previous test showed that he had it also. why would they "accept" it? and why would he be grateful that they accepted a test that showed him positive?

I read that coke is usually in the system for about 72 hours.
if that later test showed cocaine does that mean he is still has coke in his system?

Davodus
06-05-2009, 09:04 AM
thanks everyone

really glad to hear him say he will come back stronger because of this, that is exactly what I wanted to hear, and I hope it is true

I think it is pretty easy to believe he is innocent from what he is saying, so the ITF need to just let him off with a warning :p (wishful, delusional thinking)

Keijan
06-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Please remember I'm not a native english speaker. I expressed myself badly, but I do my best.You could also try to understand directly the interview in french :p

He asked the ITF if they would accept the results of a DNA test if he took one, because the ITF never accepted that before. So if the results had been negative, meaning if it hadn't been Richard's urine and was switched with another one, Richard wanted to make sure the ITF would acknowledge that. They said okay, so he thanks them, but he took the test and failed it since it revealed it was really his urine. Is that clearer now ?

case
06-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Please remember I'm not a native english speaker. I expressed myself badly, but I do my best.You could also try to understand directly the interview in french :p

He asked the ITF if they would accept the results of a DNA test if he took one, because the ITF never accepted that before. So if the results had been negative, meaning if it hadn't been Richard's urine and was switched with another one, Richard wanted to make sure the ITF would acknowledge that. They said okay, so he thanks them, but he took the test and failed it since it revealed it was really his urine. Is that clearer now ?

i am very sorry Keijan- i didnt mean to imply that i thought your english was bad. Thanks for your translation. My french is terrible and i very much appreciate all the translation that you and others do here- i know it is a lot of work. Your language skills are much superior to mine. I am working on my french but english is so screwy that i think it hampers my ability to deal with a more logical language.

Actually i was hoping that the DNA test was negative which was why i was questioning the wording.
it doesnt sound like gasquet has any real defense. that is what i am getting from those comments from him. I think it does help his case to get his story out there however.

TWO YEARS???? who is the idiot who made up these insane rules? I will never forgive the ITF even if they dont give him two years.

reggie1
06-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Is it just me or is nobody else really that much clearer as to what has happened? I'm starting to doubt my lucidity and sanity!:o When he says he will take this to the police, is it French police who will investigate or American police? I used google translate, (yes, I know but needs must :o ) and it said he will file a complaint against "X"! Is he going to try to bring criminal charges against somebody or is this Google Translate just getting hold of the wrong end of the stick?:confused: Also, why is Champion having to leave? Not that I had ever even heard of him before this but he bought Richard the drink (according to Google translate) but how is he responsible for this? Also, I thought Peyre was with him that night and I think this attittude of they should protect him is rather unfair. It would be different if he was a small child that they could stop from going out but how do you stop a 22 year old from doing anything? I would imagine that Peyre did what he could with advising Richard. I thought even in some of the "Mousequetaires" videos you could see Peyre talking to Richard and him not listening at all. Ultimately it must have been Richard's decision to go that club, nobody made him. I am saying these things based on my poor French and google translate and what I have understood so if anybody can correct me, please feel free to do so.
Thank you Karine, Margareta, Tori and Marion for everything :worship:

reggie1
06-05-2009, 10:14 AM
http://www.etaiwannews.com/etn/news_content.php?id=968496&lang=eng_news&cate_img=145.jpg&cate_rss=news_Sports I found this article in English.

Puschkin
06-05-2009, 10:15 AM
many articles posted on rgnet in French, a bit of a summary.

He repeats his innocence and that he has never taken cocaine, though not offering an explanation how it came into his body. He has filed a complaint against "unknown" in order to find out what really happened.

He gets very agitated when Leconte is mentioned. For all who don't know: Leconte is a former French tennis player who condemned Richard outright. He also said that it was hard for him, that there was more than one night, when he only fell asleep at 5.00 am in the morning.

He gives particular thanks to Rafa for his unequivoacal support. He also voices his eagerness to return to the courts, he ran and played squash and golf occasionally, but in the beginning he stayed at home and saw nobody. He watched Roland Garros on TV, following all matches of Jo and Gael.

And the best of all: He is determined to be back.

reggie1
06-05-2009, 10:20 AM
That's good, I do believe that he is innocent but I think it seems a shame that others have lost their jobs over this, especially Peyre whom I liked and respected. I may have wondered if he was the right coach for Richard at times but he came across as a decent type of person and this idea that he should have protected Richard seems a little unfair to me. Richard is not a child and at 22 will make decisions that Peyre will have little say in. Maybe I'm wrong?!

Puschkin
06-05-2009, 10:26 AM
That's good, I do believe that he is innocent but I think it seems a shame that others have lost their jobs over this....

As we said yesterday, this whole restructuring at the Lagardère team was probably in the making some time ago. Richard got rid of his physio already in or before Miami, in one of the many articles posted today on rgnet, I also read that Deblicker was back somehow. I don't know what to think about that. :confused:

As for Peyre it is hard to judge from outside. I felt he was demanding and Richard certainly needed that, on the other hand he might have been too demanding and all the injuries came from that. And it remains a fact, that we hardly ever saw them smiling together, while there are many pics with Richard and Deblicker doing so. My dream coach remains Fabrice or a foreigner, but not necessarily a former great like Wilander and McEnroe.

Eliande
06-05-2009, 10:33 AM
That's good, I do believe that he is innocent but I think it seems a shame that others have lost their jobs over this, especially Peyre whom I liked and respected. I may have wondered if he was the right coach for Richard at times but he came across as a decent type of person and this idea that he should have protected Richard seems a little unfair to me. Richard is not a child and at 22 will make decisions that Peyre will have little say in. Maybe I'm wrong?!

You're absolutely right!
Peryre is not his father, just his coach, and Richard is a grown-up, so it's not like Peyre could have forced him not to go to a party and all...
But what a messy situation! I don't really know what to make of it...:wavey:

Davodus
06-05-2009, 10:37 AM
And the best of all: He is determined to be back.

this is the part I liked the most as well. I am just really relieved that he has said that, because he could have gone 2 ways, completely lost motivation (:o) or gained more. It seems that he may have gained more, so I really hope that he has the chance to show that

Keijan
06-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Case, it's okay, I should have made an effort to be crystal clear from the start ;)

He really sounds like he's missing the courts badly. Which is good in a way, but sad in another if he gets two years :sad: But he also says that even if he gets two years, which is highly unlikely according to him since "I'm innocent, I didn't do anything !", he'll still be more than eager to come back. He'll be 25, it won't be the end of the world.

About Peyre, indeed the Lagardère team is under a massive reconstruction and maybe Lagardère is just using the coke story as a good excuse to fire people he would have fired anyway :shrug: It seems what he reproaches to them isn't to have let Richard go to a party (that would be a bit too much :lol:) but to have not paid attention to his glass or something like that.

Keijan
06-05-2009, 11:30 AM
I have a bit more news : in "Aujourd'hui en France" which I bought this morning, they're summarizing his letter to the police prefect ("porter plainte contre X" indeed means "lay charges against unknown person", which you do when you don't know who you're fighting against, it doesn't exist in GB or USA ?)

So he had dinner at 9pm at the Vita with Peyre, Champion and Barbarin where they met 4 young French ladies who went with them at the Set club. The DJ Bob Sinclar (who is french) invited them at his table, and it seems Sinclar was being filmed by cameras who are making a documentary about him, and Richard believes they filmed his arrival, so they should be able to find the tape again. He didn't know all the people present at the table, and people told him afterwards that amongst those people some were very likely to have taken cocaine during the evening. He drank two apple-vodka without letting his glass out of his hands, the first one was offered by Champion, the second at the bar, in compagny of one of the French girls. He also had a water bottle which he opened himself. Then they all left for the Goldrush, another club, and back to the hotel at 5am.

Keijan
06-05-2009, 11:36 AM
In l'équipe, they say he's going to play another charity football match next week in Rome where he'll meet the Pope :eek:

Interview in the paper :
He was at the airport the friday morning after the party night when he began to get calls. People were telling him "go check your mails". He went to see them, and he sees "cocaine" "Miami", "métabolite" (that's the word he remembers most :shrug:) He first thinks it's the list of the new forbidden substances of ATP. He calls Nicolas Lampérin, his agent, because he doesn't understand the English used in it. He tells him he's positive at cocaine.

He was hoping a lot from the B test, it could only be a mistake in his eyes. The DNA test took longer than expected because the ITF had to find him an agreed laboratory, in Oxford. He only learnt the results last week.
He's not a party animal, it was his first night out since the beginning of the year. He's asked if he could have kissed a girl and it came from her, and he doesn't want to comment on it "I will tell everything to the police." When he has to take an aspirine because of a headache, he calls the doctor to be sure it's okay because he's very afraid of that, so he would have been very stupid to take coke. He hired a private detective (?) to go back to everywhere he went that night and find out news.

He's also saying that if he had taken coke that night and been controlled the day after, he couldn't have gone to play against Tsonga in Rome the next week, all the while knowing it was just a matter of time for him to get caught. He's also saying he was thinking about working again with Deblicker as well with Peyre :eek:

I'm not finished, there is more, i'll write the rest in a minute

Jozie
06-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Thank you everyone for your interesting and valuable contributions, esp Margareta, Karine, Marion & Vicki. :yeah:

I cannot begin to imagine how painful the whole debacle has been for Richard. It is inbelievable to see how much positive support there has been from the tennis fraternity in general. This in itself speaks volumes about the respect his fellow players and some ex-players have for him. :worship:

May Richard return sooner rather than later from this ordeal, and hoping that the ITF will go very easy on him. So the hearing is just 3 and a half weeks away, and we should know shortly after that what the outcome is. I am really pleased that he is confidently pleading his innocence, and I have absolutely no doubt that he will come back stronger than ever before.... he must be maturing very quickly after all of this. :bounce:

I guess his mental resolve has never ever been as challenged as much as it has been the past month or two.

ALLEZ RICHIE!!! (Havn't said this for a while);)

Puschkin
06-05-2009, 12:03 PM
In l'équipe, they say he's going to play another charity football match next week in Rome where he'll meet the Pope :eek:

:eek: I wonder if the pope even knows who he is? But then, the pope is used to meeting many people.;) What is good though is, that is out of his coocoon again.

Keijan
06-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Suite : (this interview is sooo long)

It was a nightmare to learn it, but it was even worse when the press began to publish it. It was very violent. He couldn't go out in the streets, he was hiding in his house. He got a lot of calls and SMS but he didn't want to see anyone. Everytime he switched on the tv, people were talking about it. When he saw they mistook the real amount of cocaine with another one ten times bigger, he nearly broke his tv.

What was the worst between Leconte's comments, the front page in l'équipe and the tv shows ridiculising him (les Guignols et Canteloup, both are humour and sarcastical shows who made a lot of jokes about the story) : it was Leconte. When he heard his words, he had only one wish : to go out and punch him. :rocker2: The guy didn't know anything and he commented out of the blue. The tv shows are medias, they couldn't not do it, so it's okay. But he's eager to meet Leconte and have an explanation with him, even if he's not the most intelligent person he knows. But he's glad because most of tennis people supported him. He's especially thankful to Rafa who was incredibly kind and supportive of him.

The journalist asks about his DC teammates who didn't publicly comment. Richard says everyone was supportive of him, but Rafa was the best. He knows that if it had been Rafa positive at cocaine, Richard would have said the same because it's just impossible that Rafa takes drugs. They share the same life and the same goals and drugs don't fit anywhere.

About people who're saying "Gasquet is having a difficult time, he's depressed, he wanted to escape from reality" : total bullshit, he's happy and beaming, he has an incredible chance to do what he loves most on earth : hitting yellow balls. He would never mess up his career for a night of fun. He will never take cocaine in his life, because you've got to be either really stupid or really down and depressed to do that.

After ten days, he began to leave his house again, and everyone was supportive in the streets. It was hard to follow Roland at the tv, but he didn't miss a single match of Jo and Gael. He can tell you every score of every day of their matchs. It was only normal that he was forbidden to enter the stadium, he wouldn't have gone anyway, maybe except once or twice to see his friends' matches. It's been three weeks and he still sleeps very little, he can't find his sleep before 5am even if he goes to bed at 1am.

He doesn't want to think about the possible suspension. He didn't stop playing tennis, he trained for a bit in Paris and in the south of France. But it can't happen, because he's innocent. He was always lucky in his life, so he believes it will continue. Tennis is his life, so it's not only about his job, it's his love and life.

Keijan
06-05-2009, 12:18 PM
I know Federer shook hands with the previous pope a few years ago :shrug: maybe it's kind of usual, and the pope will be attending this charity gala or something ?
On the other hand I never heard Richie speaking about religious stuff or wearing any kind of christian signs. I thought he was atheist :shrug:

Puschkin
06-05-2009, 12:24 PM
I know Federer shook hands with the previous pope a few years ago :shrug:
Yep, that's true and I even wondered for him why he did that?

On the other hand I never heard Richie speaking about religious stuff or wearing any kind of christian signs. I thought he was atheist :shrug:
Or just keeping an admirable French achievement :worship: :seperate church and state, which in Richard's case would be church and sport. ;)

Keijan
06-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Fed is very religious, no ? He said he was a believer and that meeting the pope meant a lot to him.

Or just keeping an admirable French achievement :seperate church and state, which in Richard's case would be church and sport.

Thanks for mentionning it, it's probably the only thing we didn't totally screw up in our politics :lol:

krn81
06-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks Marion for all the interview of Lequipe.

Vicky about the police investigation, he said this morning on radio that he asked this procedure (even if he does not like the fact he has to do it) because he wants to know what happened and also because all the people involved in this party (I guess all the french people presented at this night) will have to talk with the police and maybe with all this they can find out how this happened.

krn81
06-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Fed is very religious, no ?
I dont know if he is but Mirka was pregnant before marriage :o

Keijan
06-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Yeah but people say he might have married her in a hurry so the baby isn't born with unmarried parents :p

Davodus
06-05-2009, 12:52 PM
thanks for all that information marion :yeah:

Keijan
06-05-2009, 12:52 PM
By the way, here is his whole video interview on Europe 1 :
http://www.ozap.com/actu/gasquet-campagne-mediatique-cocaine-video/280492
He handled Fogiel and his snarky comments beautifully. Congrats to him because a lot of people would have punched him :lol:

edit : you're welcome :) i'm so happy he's speaking again that I could post everything all over again haha.

Puschkin
06-05-2009, 01:10 PM
By the way, here is his whole video interview on Europe 1 :

thanks a lot, though I fear i have to listen at least three times to fully grasp it. The guy has just no understanding for his non French fans ;) and speaks so fast and the interviewer is even worse. :o

krn81
06-05-2009, 01:23 PM
thanks a lot, though I fear i have to listen at least three times to fully grasp it. The guy has just no understanding for his non French fans ;) and speaks so fast and the interviewer is even worse. :o

Oh you are even lucky because I thought his accent was soft today, sometimes he speaks with a typical accent from south "a couper au couteau" (dont know translation, to cut with knife :shrug:)

Keijan
06-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Yeah, he refrained from adding "ggg" to every word... putainggg :lol:

Puschkin
06-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Oh you are even lucky because I thought his accent was soft today, sometimes he speaks with a typical accent from south "a couper au couteau" (dont know translation, to cut with knife :shrug:)
Following him for some years, I am used to this by now, and besides I never thought that his accent was extremely strong. I had to deal with much worse, when I was in the region.:)

reggie1
06-05-2009, 01:28 PM
thanks everyone for all the contributions and thanks Karine for clearing up that point about the police investigation. Marion, the translations must take up such a lot of your time and we are all very grateful to you. Margareta and Tess would be o.k but me and Schu use our own knowledge of French (I know she won't mind me saying this) which is not so good and google translate and Babel fish, and goodness only knows what we'd come up with. :lol:

Puschkin
06-05-2009, 01:29 PM
but me and Schu use our own knowledge of French (I know she won't mind me saying this) which is not so good and google translate and Babel fish, and goodness only knows what we'd come up with. :lol:
Yep, I would not trust babelfish either, unless you want to have some fun. :wavey:

Lemon Custard
06-05-2009, 02:20 PM
"Even if banned for two years, Gasquet has vowed to return." I feel good about that quote! :)

Thanks so much for the translations!!!!

Schu
06-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Merci beaucoup Marion, Karine and Margarata and any one else I forgot for all the information! Yes Vicki, I suspect I'm the most "language challenged" around here.

I'm about to leave for work but thought I'd check out the news first - after reading 5 pages and this post I'll be late but I just had to know before I left.

I wish he knew how it happened but I'm so gald he gave as much detail as he knew. I can't imagine he would come out speaking so confidently if he didn't really believe his ban was going to be short.

I too wonder why Peyre would be blamed - Richard isn't a kid and is responsible for his own actions - maybe things with Peyre were not working out so well and this is a good excuse - guess we will just have to wait and see what develops with the coaching and HOPEFULLY whoever it is can start work SOON!

Sounds like Richard has matured quickly and he is passing with flying colors this test to his "heart". I love to hear what he said about LeConte and that he handled the snid remarks of the interviewer with style. Also like that he acknowledged Rafa - didn't know they had what sounds like a good friendship, no?

And best of all, he'll be back no matter how long - ALLEZ RIchie!

PinkFeatherBoa
06-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Wow, thanks everyone for all the information. It's so so nice to finally hear from Richard!
I'm so glad that of the two ways his mood could go, he is coming out fighting and positive. The high amount of support he is recieving from fellow players and ex-players certainly never surprised me but also speaks volumes to me about Richard's character and the unlikeliehood that he is anything other than innocent. Could he have had some better character references than those given? I especially appreciated the words of Nadal, McEnroe and Wilander. As for Leconte.....he speaks before he is spoken to, it's expected of him really.

For Richard to be still speaking about his Tennis Career with such burning desire and enthusiasm after all this, is truly the best news. Can't wait to see how this will light a fire under his tennis, when he returns.

Allez Richard, keep fighting to clear your name. So proud to be your fan.

Tess Gray
06-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks so much everyone for all the information:worship::yeah:

It's good to hear he is confident and he believes in himself. Like we said before, his motivation could have gone two ways, and I'm glad he chose the right way to deal with all of this. I really can't wait to see him back on court and I'm pretty confident now that he will not be banned for 2 years:D

(btw, that video was so hard to understand!:o Why do french people feel the need to speak so fast:lol::p)

RFK
06-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Thankyou for the info!
Glad that he spoke at last...even if it was very fast! :lol:
I think he has handled everything really well and while people have criticised him for being mentally weak on court, I think this shows he IS determined.
I hope things will improve for him!

ds_hockeygrl1536
06-05-2009, 06:21 PM
So when will the ruling be finalized regarding the possible ban?

case
06-05-2009, 06:21 PM
maybe i am looking at this wrong. maybe he will finally figure out what he is doing on a tennis court. of course if he is fined two months rather than two years. he does sound determined.

Puschkin
06-05-2009, 06:27 PM
So when will the ruling be finalized regarding the possible ban?
According to all those French articles, the hearing will be on 29 June, the ruling 14 max. days later.

PinkFeatherBoa
06-05-2009, 06:46 PM
maybe i am looking at this wrong. maybe he will finally figure out what he is doing on a tennis court. of course if he is fined two months rather than two years. he does sound determined.
I really think, perhaps paradoxically, that this whole situation (especially if the ban ends up being a fairly short length of time) that this could be just the kick up the ass he needed, to see what truly mattered to him and how short and fleeting a tennis career can be.
I really see positives in everything, perhaps too much for my own good :o but I could really see him coming back more fired up, determined and disciplined than ever, which has the potential to do great things for his tennis.

When I see how much players like DelPotro and Murray improved within such a short time, then nothing is impossible. Of course, 1st things first, get through this case and hope for the best possible outcome..

krn81
06-05-2009, 07:12 PM
On Lequipe there is a video of Lecomte answering of what Richard said today:
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2009/20090605_185152_leconte-et-gasquet-la-rupture.html
It is really short but seriously Lecomte shoud his mouth closed :o

Puschkin
06-05-2009, 07:15 PM
It is really short but seriously Lecomte shoud his mouth closed :o
Did I understand correctly? He said "c'est nul"?
:shrug: who cares what he says?

krn81
06-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Did I understand correctly? He said "c'est nul"?
yes he said "c'est nul" about what Richard said this morning about him.

Keijan
06-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Hahaha, he's such an arse. He never stroke me as particularly clever but là c'est le pompom :lol:

Eliande
06-05-2009, 09:04 PM
yes he said "c'est nul" about what Richard said this morning about him.

What does it mean? (Please...):confused:

soulage
06-05-2009, 09:13 PM
The video of TF1 this evening around 28.00 http://videos.tf1.fr/jt-we/retour-au-point-de-depart-dans-les-recherches-4435653.html Report + interview by Claire chazal

krn81
06-05-2009, 09:39 PM
What does it mean? (Please...):confused:

Well I dont know the appropriate english word, I would say "it is crappy", "it is stupid" but maybe another french speaker will find a more appropriate word. :shrug:

Marine
06-05-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm not a fan of Richard, but I want to believe him.

Eliande
06-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Well I dont know the appropriate english word, I would say "it is crappy", "it is stupid" but maybe another french speaker will find a more appropriate word. :shrug:

Thanks!:worship:

Cloudygirl
06-06-2009, 12:34 AM
I have a bit more news : in "Aujourd'hui en France" which I bought this morning, they're summarizing his letter to the police prefect ("porter plainte contre X" indeed means "lay charges against unknown person", which you do when you don't know who you're fighting against, it doesn't exist in GB or USA ?)

So he had dinner at 9pm at the Vita with Peyre, Champion and Barbarin where they met 4 young French ladies who went with them at the Set club. The DJ Bob Sinclar (who is french) invited them at his table, and it seems Sinclar was being filmed by cameras who are making a documentary about him, and Richard believes they filmed his arrival, so they should be able to find the tape again. He didn't know all the people present at the table, and people told him afterwards that amongst those people some were very likely to have taken cocaine during the evening. He drank two apple-vodka without letting his glass out of his hands, the first one was offered by Champion, the second at the bar, in compagny of one of the French girls. He also had a water bottle which he opened himself. Then they all left for the Goldrush, another club, and back to the hotel at 5am.

How exactly does that work, am curious. Do the police have to investigate if you make such a charge and what are their powers?

scmom
06-06-2009, 12:46 AM
thank you so much to all of you who helped to translate these articles and interviews for us non french speakers
I am encouraged by his fighting spirit
and , I am very proud of how he replies - directly and without the fidgeting and nervousness that is often in his press conferences
I am so hoping that this means that good things are going to happen for Richard now

tennis lover
06-06-2009, 01:51 AM
:yeah: thanks to everyone for the links and everything. :D It's so encouraging to see him so positive and determined, and to hear him say that tennis is his life and love, not just something forced upon him as many people have thought over the years. :dance: Now I'm going to see if I can understand a word he says in the video :unsure: :lol:

krn81
06-06-2009, 09:48 AM
How exactly does that work, am curious. Do the police have to investigate if you make such a charge and what are their powers?
The police will investigate depending who you are ;) So no problem in case of Richard, they will investigate. After it happens in Miami, I dont think they will go to Miami but there were several French people at this party and they will interview them in order to rebuild this evening. If they found out someone did it intentionally, this person could face charge because Richard faced some troubles but I dont think it is the reason he went to police.
By going to police will maybe help to find a detail they missed and as we dont know it could be possible that some of this people refused to talk to him and if police involved, you cant refuse talking to police without facing big problems. TO finish, it also send a strong message to ITF, if he goes to police he is sure he did not take cocaine intentionally, that he is innocent. Because if he did it intentionally, the police could find out. Apart the fact he wants to find out what happened that night, it is also a good strategy as his defense is a bit weak. Probably the same when he said everywhere that Nadal is supporting him, he is the number 1 in ranking, and there is kind of respect in tennis world to him.

Thanks Soulage about your video. It is interesting, specially when he said: "I am not afraid to say that on TV, but cocaine is shit and I want to say that to youngs, never you should touch cocaine, never I touch it."

Keijan
06-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks for explaining, Karine :) I had no idea how to clarify that.

There is some reactions on wlt (they're useful sometimes)

- Leconte replying to Richie saying he would gladly meet with him and have a chat :

" Je suis mort de rire ! Et ouhhh j'ai très très peur ! Les menaces, ça ne règle pas les problèmes. Moi, j'ai au moins le respect des anciens et j'assume ce que je fais. Il faut tout assumer dans la vie. Et à son âge, j'étais 5ème mondial"

-> "I'm dying with laughther ! Oh my god, I'm sooo scared ! As if threatening people would solve the problems. Me, I respect the older people and I assume what I do. You have to assume everything in life. And at his age, I was 5th in the world."
Not even worth a comment :smash:

- Pamela is talking : she's one of the 3 french girls who went with Richard at the Set club, and also his major witness : she's the one who told him afterwards that there was a lot of cocaine in the party.

"Richard est venu sur mon lieu de travail, le visage dissimulé sous sa casquette pour me demander de l'aide" et aussi "Il faut être naïf: ces soirées-là, au Set, sont réputées pour être chaudes. Il y a forcément de la cocaïne qui circule. C'est comme si vous me demandiez s'il y avait de la drougue à Ibiza"

-> Richard came at the place where I work, his face hidden by his cap to ask for my help. You have to be very naive : those parties, at the Set, are famous for being very hot. Of course there is going to be cocaine everywhere. It's as if you were wondering if there is drugs in Ibiza"

Bob Sinclar who swore on national tv that there had never ever been any drugs turning in his parties is going to be in big trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if he begins to talk against Richie himself, after being very kind to him ("he's a very charming and soft young man, I can't believe he took coke", etc)

Cloudygirl
06-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks tons girls. Thats what I was wondering whether by opening the door to investigation it would lead the police to actually investigate him. I think it is astute though that he isn't going down the Hingis route of blaming the system, it isn't my sample etc. As I think to be honest that is just going to be pissing them off and making them more likely to give him a long ban. If he shows that he has tried to establish how it entered his system etc then that can be taken into consideration.

Marion, thats what I have difficulty believing. Looking at the video after watching it a few times I still understand only about 50% of it (why is it that when people don't speak in your native language they seem to speak at about 3 times the speed lol) but he doesn't look like he is lying to me. However, I just fail to see how he can be that naive and live the life that he does.

I know tennis prob isn't as glamorous as it seems but there is definitely a celeb glam side with parties and groupies, there has to be some element of partying. Also he is pretty much based in Paris isn't he? Its a capital city. I'm not saying its full of drugs or anything but drugs are generally more prevalent imo anyway in bigger cities and lastly if it was a dance or electro place drugs go pretty much hand in hand with that.

I mean she is right its like going to Ibiza and not expecting to see drug use. How can you not realise that? He can't be that sheltered can he. Or can he, how much do his team baby him. That just can't be right.

krn81
06-06-2009, 10:52 AM
The commentary of Leconte is just representing himself :smash:
(il s'enfonce dans sa connerie là)

About the girl, what I suspect is that they took Richard as stupid naive guy. And as there is police investigation, everyone tried to protect his back now. And Marion you are right, probably Sinclar will change his mind (but too late).

I went to wlt and there is also the theory of the kiss:
Dans l'Equipe, Pascal Kintz met les points sur les I sur les différentes hypothèses qui circulent. Cet expert judiciaire en toxicologie se dit prêt à témoigner devant l'ITF. "Richard Gasquet a été au maximum exposé à 3 ou 4 mg de cocaïne, c'est ridicule. Si vous embrassez une fille qui vient de se faire une ligne de coke, c'est sûr que vous êtes positif avec ce genre de concentration" et plus loin "il y a des pseudo-scientifiques qui ne connaissent rien à rien, qui ne racontent que des conneries"
This expert in toxicology is ready to go to the itf. "Richard Gasquet was maximum exposed to 3 or 4mg of cocaine, it is ridiculous. If you kissed a girl who just took a line of coke, it is sure you will be positive with this level of concentration. And later to say "there are some pseudo scientificts who know nothing and say only wrong things.

Keijan
06-06-2009, 10:56 AM
I know, Tori :/ I can't believe he lived in Paris for years and never went to a single party -and everyone knows what's going on in those parties for rich and bored kids. He probably never took coke there, but he couldn't ignore it was happening around him.

Same goes with the Set, one of the most famous and expensive Miami clubs, and judging by the pictures very full of, uh, professional girls, just putting his foot in it he probably guessed they weren't only drinking orange juice. So I find it difficult to believe him when he says "if I had seen cocaine around I would have left immediatly" because there is hardly a way that could have happened. Even if he didn't see it, he was with 3 other persons so unless they're all blind... If he asked this girl to speak out, it's probably because he couldn't admit it himself and needed a witness not from his group, someone who wouldn't be biaised :shrug:

Cloudygirl
06-06-2009, 10:58 AM
I really don't think he is stupid though. Mind you some intelligent people do have no common sense. I have a friend that is academically very clever but she believes in the best in everyone to the point of ridiculousness.

Marion just seen your post. I agree with you, but I think playing ignorance to the point of ridiculousness undermines his believability to an extent. Mind you I suppose say if his friends do drugs he can't really say as it might drop them in it big time.

Police investigation will drop them in it anyway though.

Keijan
06-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Yeah the kiss theory is weird because everyone is saying something and its contrary :banghead: This man is saying it's very possible and yesterday I read a doctor in Aujourd'hui Sport who said it was completely stupid because Richard would have had to kiss a girl with three spoons of coke in her mouth :confused:

It will be interesting to hear what Sinclar will say to save his skin. And you're very right, Karine, I hadn't thought of the fact that Richard asking the police to investigate is a big step forward for his defense because it means he's not afraid of what they might find. Good move Richie :rocker2:

Cloudygirl
06-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Who eats coke anyway. I've only heard about it being smoked or snorted.

Another thing that puzzles me is how do they know it was that night. Can they rule out contaminated food, or medication from a few days before. I think you can detect cocaine in urine for about 3 days. Also how does he know that the drinks served in the club itself weren't contaminated or contaminated from someone who worked there. I wonder if the police would investigate that also.

krn81
06-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Maybe my mind is weird, but there is something I got surprised by what he said yesterday.
Everywhere he said he thanks Nadal who supports him but also Forget, some players, the French Federation of Tennis (FFT) but he is never talking of Lagardere :confused:

The theroy of kiss is possible because i dont remember he said I kissed no girl at this party. He just said I drank a bottle of water and 2 vodkas apple. It is the same on tf1 (the link Soulage gave yesterday) a doctor said that with this amount you feel the effect unless you are drunk (2 vodkas apple are not enough to be drunk); everyone has his opinion and we dont know who is right or wrong :shrug:

krn81
06-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Another thing that puzzles me is how do they know it was that night. Can they rule out contaminated food, or medication from a few days before. I think you can detect cocaine in urine for about 3 days. Also how does he know that the drinks served in the club itself weren't contaminated or contaminated from someone who worked there. I wonder if the police would investigate that also.
Good point. I think he also said he went to another club after the Set, why it did not happen in the other club?

The police will investigate all the pists unless if they know already something no mention publicy and push them to think it happened in this club

Cloudygirl
06-06-2009, 11:21 AM
vodka apples? What is that like apple flavoured vodka or vodka with apple juice or like an alcopop.

He might have only had 2 but if they were triple measures of vodka he could have been drunk (says the girl who never drinks singles ;) ).

tennis lover
06-06-2009, 11:33 AM
vodka-pomme is just vodka and apple juice. ;)

Cloudygirl
06-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Good point. I think he also said he went to another club after the Set, why it did not happen in the other club?

The police will investigate all the pists unless if they know already something no mention publicy and push them to think it happened in this club

It is strange I wonder if they know more than they are letting on at this stage.

Cloudygirl
06-06-2009, 01:26 PM
I wonder if for credibilies sake he would be prepared to do a lie detector test and whether or not that would be admissable for the ITF. They arent used in UK law but I think they are in the US.

Keijan
06-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Lie detectors are definitely not recognised by the French law, Tori :shrug: I wouldn't trust them a lot myself. Plus I believe the ITF is an international organisation, not based in the USA.

reggie1
06-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Thanks girls for all the updates and translations, it really is appreciated. I too wonder about how naive he really is? I thought he was very sheltered and very shy but as Eliande said in one of her posts a few months ago, he travels the world meeting so many different people. Surely, somewhere along the way, you must gain some kind of smarts! I know very little of drugs but even I know going somewhere like that, drugs are likely to be everywhere. I do wonder about him sometimes. I don't think he has taken them but I think if you are young, in a club, trying to act "cool" and people around you are taking drugs, would he have had the courage to walk out? Maybe I'm crediting Peyre with too much about him, but I really do think if it was obvious that drugs were around, Peyre would have said "Let's go!." He has always come across as very no nonsense to me and I really don't think he would have stood for that.
For our frenchies, what is the general perception in France, do people think Richard is innocent?
I too am starting to wonder if this whole "ignorance" defense is going to be a little flimsy. I do hope not!

Cloudygirl
06-06-2009, 03:45 PM
I'm not so sure about Peyre.

He has the perfect excuse to say no given that he is a professional athlete and some people are very careful. I'm not sure how careful you would be to contamination , although I suppose as an athlete you would be more aware of drugs. I've been at a few parties with drugs and it has never occurred to me that I could passively inhale stuff enough for it to get in my system.

Tess Gray
06-06-2009, 03:54 PM
It is strange I wonder if they know more than they are letting on at this stage.

I think it would only be wise to not let the public in on everything;) Also, I think it's Richard privilage we have tolook out for. Things might have happened that night that he doesnt want to go public:shrug: And it's not really our business anyway, is it:lol:

Cloudygirl
06-06-2009, 04:16 PM
I think it would only be wise to not let the public in on everything;) Also, I think it's Richard privilage we have tolook out for. Things might have happened that night that he doesnt want to go public:shrug: And it's not really our business anyway, is it:lol:

I don't really think that commenting on something that he has said on the tv to the public is sticking my nose into his private business :confused::shrug:

Tess Gray
06-06-2009, 04:27 PM
I never said that:) But when the interviewer asked him if he kissed a girl, he did say only the police needs to know that:shrug: So answering your question i replied to, I think they do know things they aren't letting us in on. That was kind of my point. Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough:lol:

scmom
06-06-2009, 05:52 PM
so the debate continues
I still think he is innocent - and frankly , I tend to believe that he could very well have been that naive . You can travel the world - but surrounded by people who do everything for you - book your travel , organize your meals, do your laundry , plan your free time, run interference to keep you from people who would get you in trouble - how worldly are you really ? And in his case, until just recently - he has been accompanied by one or both of his parents. Well, if that doesn't put a cramp in your "game" I don't know what would :) Most of the "player parties " they go to are corporate events - they have to be on their best behavior in front of the sponsors - these are not wild raves , ya know ?
or at least he was naive a few months ago - I would have to believe he has grown up a bit and is a bit more cynical these days about things or at least more careful about who he will hang out with in the future .
as for the 2 drinks - I am gonna guess that two apple martinis , which is what he was drinking , would make him pretty drunk
remember , as a pro athlete , these guys do not go out drinking every night - not if they plan on winning
and an apple martini - as made in a Miami club is not just apple juice and vodka
It is probably 2 shots of vodka , mixed with apple liqueur - no apple juice involved - in other words - this is a martini glass of pure alcohol
I think that for an inexperienced or infrequent drinker - he could have had a good buzz going
Even if there were drugs in the club, and I am sure there were - no one is brazen enough to just put it right out on a table in the open in the front of the room
they were probably snorting the stuff in some VIP suite or back in a dark corner - even if he knew it was there , he may not have seen it - until it was too late

case
06-06-2009, 06:24 PM
I wonder if for credibilies sake he would be prepared to do a lie detector test and whether or not that would be admissable for the ITF. They arent used in UK law but I think they are in the US.

they arent admissible here in the states either.

i dont know about turning this into a criminal thing. i think gasquet just needs to keep saying he doesnt do coke.
i too think the innocence defense with no evidence is flimsy, but from what we know there doesnt seem to be much else for him. if i were on the hearing i would have to say that he is guilty right now
. of course if i were on the WAda or the ITF i would be screaming that this is an invasion of a players right to privacy, that the sentencing was way to harsh and that rehab would better serve their drug free stance than a witch hunt.

reggie1
06-06-2009, 06:25 PM
It would never occur to me either that you could passively inhale drugs, that's scary! Obviously it's more likely with Marijuana but it wouldn't have occurred to me with something like Cocaine. Still, if this is the case, the WDA toxicology experts will surely take this into consideration and especially as it was a small amount.
And Beth, I expect you're right, I reckon he has had to grow up PDQ!

reggie1
06-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Oh and those Martinis sound lovely :devil:

Cloudygirl
06-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Oh and those Martinis sound lovely :devil:

I was just thinking that myself but I wasn't going to make a post about it incase everyone thought I was an alcy. :angel: Now you have I can confess.

scmom
06-06-2009, 09:46 PM
yeah - those drinks are pretty damned good
I have had more than my share - lately I have been on a pomegranate martini kick - but don't get me started there
Let's just say , I think I have probably had many more years of partying experience than Richard :)
and probably most of you girls here

case
06-06-2009, 09:52 PM
i doubt that gasquet would have had a buzz from not drinking too much.

as far back as i can remember here we would make jokes about gasquet liking alcohol. he does drink.

he must be use to parties too. that 5 am return time:eek:

the apple vodka does sound good,

Cloudygirl
06-06-2009, 09:56 PM
i doubt that gasquet would have had a buzz from not drinking too much.

as far back as i can remember here we would make jokes about gasquet liking alcohol. he does drink.

he must be use to parties too. that 5 am return time:eek:

the apple vodka does sound good,

we know he goes out but does he drink? I always assumed he did but read something fairly recently, I think it might have been on here actually where he had said that he didn't drink much. I remember being surprised.

Keijan
06-06-2009, 10:00 PM
From : http://www.rmc.fr/edito/sport/80378/affaire-gasquet-la-verite/

RMC is writing that they basically have a witness who saw the french girl Pamela taking cocaine, then kissing Richard without him knowing about the coke. It seems they went their separate ways after the party and that Richard went back to his hotel alone -well, with Peyre and the others, but without a girl. They also have a specialist saying that judging by the amount of coke, it's a very probable reason. They think it's what Richard refused to tell the medias but told the police. And indeed, at the question "people say that you could have kissed a girl and it could come from her, what do you have to say about that?" he replied "I will tell everything to the police but I'm not commenting on that with you."

Falling for a single kiss, that's pretty romantic to my young eyes :cool::lol: kidding. It's so much better than him taking coke consciously. And of course, if it's true, the two years ban is completely unthinkable -as well as a 3 months ban for me.... just give him a fine and let him go, I'm sure he'll be more careful about his partners next time :o

Keijan
06-06-2009, 10:03 PM
About Richie drinking, he made a relaxed interview a few months, or was it years ago, I think it was in Marseille, for a girls magazine or tv show, i don't remember, but it wasn't something very serious, more laid-back.

The girl asked him something like "what about drinking, going out, party like an animal ? Are you really serious or... ?" and he said "Even if I could, I wouldn't, I never liked drinking and getting drunk anyway. Plus alcohol is very, very bad for the muscles and the body, so. Right, Nico ? (he asks Nicolas Mahut who was passing by) I don't drink right ? (Mahut nods) See, I don't drink."

(It was during the time where he was sharing Peyre with Mahut I think. They were always together, they're still good friends. Nico was one of the first, with Mauresmo and Santoro, to say people should give Richie some time to explain himself instead of condamning him immediatly.)

Cloudygirl
06-06-2009, 10:07 PM

RMC is writing that they basically have a witness who saw the french girl Pamela taking cocaine, then kissing Richard without him knowing about the coke. It seems they went their separate ways after the party and that Richard went back to his hotel alone -well, with Peyre and the others, but without a girl. They also have a specialist saying that judging by the amount of coke, it's a very probable reason. They think it's what Richard refused to tell the medias but told the police. And indeed, at the question "people say that you could have kissed a girl and it could come from her, what do you have to say about that?" he replied "I will tell everything to the police but I'm not commenting on that with you."

Falling for a single kiss, that's pretty romantic to my young eyes :cool::lol: kidding. It's so much better than him taking coke consciously. And of course, if it's true, the two years ban is completely unthinkable -as well as a 3 months ban for me.... just give him a fine and let him go, I'm sure he'll be more careful about his partners next time :o

If it is possible to test positive for drugs from kissing someone that is really scary.

case
06-06-2009, 10:07 PM
thanks keijan.

:lol: this is funny. i hope the wada will accept that story.

can you really test positive from a kiss????? if he can get an expert to say that there is a possibility.

i agree the three months ban is too high too. with all the jokes he will get from this story he will have already been punished enough!

gasquet used to drink alot., at least there were alot of pictures of him drinking and he said he liked to drink, but also said he tried moderation. or something like that. that an athlete couldnt have excesses. kind of what he said just recently.

case
06-06-2009, 10:12 PM
About Richie drinking, he made a relaxed interview a few months, or was it years ago, I think it was in Marseille, for a girls magazine or tv show, i don't remember, but it wasn't something very serious, more laid-back.

The girl asked him something like "what about drinking, going out, party like an animal ? Are you really serious or... ?" and he said "Even if I could, I wouldn't, I never liked drinking and getting drunk anyway. Plus alcohol is very, very bad for the muscles and the body, so. Right, Nico ? (he asks Nicolas Mahut who was passing by) I don't drink right ? (Mahut nods) See, I don't drink."

(It was during the time where he was sharing Peyre with Mahut I think. They were always together, they're still good friends. Nico was one of the first, with Mauresmo and Santoro, to say people should give Richie some time to explain himself.)

in the old photo thread here there are LOTS of pics of gasquet drinking and we talked about it. someone asked him if he liked coke (????lol) or wine he said wine.

scmom
06-06-2009, 10:15 PM
I don't doubt that he drinks , a bit . I mean he is french - and they do like their wine , at least
but , I can tell you - at least at IW
sitting outside the dance club there - he was drinking bottled water

he was out - with his friends - but he was not drinking a lot of alcohol
of course, it was in the middle of a tournament
and he was still in the draw - so that could make a huge difference as to what and when he would drink

Keijan
06-06-2009, 10:17 PM
scmom, can I ask if you recognised the friends he was with at IW ? I mean, was it other players ?

By the way, I am french and I can't stand wine, either red or white :p I just drink vodka or rum :lol: so it's a bit of a, what the word, prejudice ? :p

Getta
06-06-2009, 10:20 PM

Have to admit that I'm somewhat ambivalent about the "cherchez-la-femme" theme. :shrug:

Cloudygirl
06-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Have to admit that I'm somewhat ambivalent about the "cherchez-la-femme" theme. :shrug:

I am too but if it gets him back on the tennis courts I'm not arguing about it.

By the way, I am french and I can't stand wine, either red or white :p I just drink vodka or rum :lol: so it's a bit of a, what the word, prejudice ? :p

there are worse things than being known as a nation of wine drinkers, we are known as a nation of binge drinkers with crap food :lol:

case
06-06-2009, 10:53 PM
...there are worse things than being known as a nation of wine drinkers, we are known as a nation of binge drinkers with crap food :lol:

:haha: that is so funny! but i am sure its not true i have eaten in england and didnt get sick-actually the food was wonderful. i dated an english guy for a while and i made a joke about the food and he got mad.
i learned from that one... dont make fun of a cute guy or his food!

and you arent stuck with the label of an ugly american:confused: which is probably true

btw- i didnt ask the stereotype question of wine! i might hold prejudices and stereotype certain peoples but i try not. i try to be a better person than that!

Keijan
06-06-2009, 11:28 PM
:lol: Well indeed English people never eat cheese nor baguettes so... it's difficult to have a good dinner there to be honest :rolls: no offense, Tori, just kidding :smooch:

Schu
06-06-2009, 11:41 PM
And the plot thickens - kissing a girl with coke on her lips, that must have been one juicy kiss - that one is suspect but whatever gets him off is fine by me. Imagine the talk in the ATP locker room if that's the defense that gets him off (guess the buzz would be even bigger if it was a guy he kissed). I imagine there's a lot more to the story that we will never hear about as it should be and I alos imagine that half of what we do hear will be inaccurate.

I remember reading an interview with Richie and Gael several years ago and Richie was asked if he drank, he said NO and Gael started laughing, then Richie said something like "O.K. a little wine after we win". Vodka and Apple juice sounds horrid, almost as bad as rum and diet coke/Tab (gag) which was a favorite among my college friends and me MANY years ago, but an apple martini - yumm.

Richie also said he's not a "party guy" but there have been numerous reports of Richie at clubs at 3-4 am. Maybe I'm just be an old fuddy duddy or maybe "party guy" means something different in french but I'd say he does like to have a good time at least once in a while.

I am STILL completely outraged whenever I realize that this whole issue would be moot if he had withdrawn before he went to the party instead of AFTER. The technicality of when he withdrew is absurd!

scmom
06-06-2009, 11:58 PM
Keijan - yes , other players
it was Mahut , Tsonga and another young guy I did not recognize
sitting in the lobby bar outside the dance club at the hotel
They all stay at the same hotel where my daughter and I stayed when we were at the tournament
for 3 years in a row now

That was the only time I ever saw him in the bar - although we saw him quite frequently eating breakfast and dinner with his coaches and family
He did not have a match that next day ( which would have been a Sunday , I think )

scmom
06-07-2009, 12:03 AM
I will add that the French coaches ( and Michael Llodra )
are a really party bunch
They stay up in the lobby bar and outside at the tables where you can order drinks until all hours of the morning
They go dancing in the club almost nightly - and if you ask them - as one of my friends did - where the players are
they will say the guys are allready asleep as they have to play tomorrow
I will tell you all they are a fun group really - seem to have a great time together
but the coaches clearly have no qualms about drinking into the early morning hours every night

scmom
06-07-2009, 12:05 AM
seriously - LLodra is hysterical
he is kind of an in between - really closer to the age of the coaches than the other players - so he seems to socialize more with them
and on the night before he played Richard this year in IW - he was still up and having a few with Champion and Tulasne after midnight
outside by the pool

frankly , my friends and I were not very surprised that he lost rather quickly that day

scmom
06-07-2009, 12:16 AM
also - sorry - did not mean to stereotype the french as a nation of wine drinkers
clearly , every person has their own personal taste

It has just been my experience that wine is a part of french culture - served with meals - much more so than here in the States - and the french people I have known are much more interested in wine than my American friends .
hope I did not offend :)

Cloudygirl
06-07-2009, 12:19 AM
And the plot thickens - kissing a girl with coke on her lips, that must have been one juicy kiss - that one is suspect but whatever gets him off is fine by me. Imagine the talk in the ATP locker room if that's the defense that gets him off (guess the buzz would be even bigger if it was a guy he kissed). I imagine there's a lot more to the story that we will never hear about as it should be and I alos imagine that half of what we do hear will be inaccurate.

I remember reading an interview with Richie and Gael several years ago and Richie was asked if he drank, he said NO and Gael started laughing, then Richie said something like "O.K. a little wine after we win". Vodka and Apple juice sounds horrid, almost as bad as rum and diet coke/Tab (gag) which was a favorite among my college friends and me MANY years ago, but an apple martini - yumm.

Richie also said he's not a "party guy" but there have been numerous reports of Richie at clubs at 3-4 am. Maybe I'm just be an old fuddy duddy or maybe "party guy" means something different in french but I'd say he does like to have a good time at least once in a while.

I am STILL completely outraged whenever I realize that this whole issue would be moot if he had withdrawn before he went to the party instead of AFTER. The technicality of when he withdrew is absurd!

That is his own fault though. Next time pls withdraw from tournaments before you go partying for the sake of us all. I'm hoping that won't be too much of an expensive lesson.

I suppose if you get photographed every time you come out of a club then it makes it look like you party a lot more than you actually do.

scmom
06-07-2009, 12:45 AM
very true about the photos
god help me what people would have thought of me if every time I left a club when I was in my 20 's someone shoved a camera in my face or asked me to answer a question to the press
I am afraid I would have made Paris Hilton and her friends look pretty smart - and tame by comparison

as to the late hours - seems to me my son and his friends ( who go out pretty regularly to clubs and parties ) are hardly getting started with their evening plans until around midnight
so 3 or 4 am just isn't that late for them
not like college age kids have to get up and face the working world in the morning nor do they have to deal with a family , kids , babies etc

Cloudygirl
06-07-2009, 01:05 AM
very true about the photos
god help me what people would have thought of me if every time I left a club when I was in my 20 's someone shoved a camera in my face or asked me to answer a question to the press
I am afraid I would have made Paris Hilton and her friends look pretty smart - and tame by comparison

me too.

In fact a friend and I were laughing fairly recently and saying we couldn't ever become famous (I think he should go on the apprentice) because of all the ammunition our friends have on us. I look drunk in pictures before I have had a drink, after I've had one, ... well nuff said ;) the only saving grace is that mobile phones didn't have videos on them when I was younger.

I can't say I blame him for having a good time, everyone needs to let off steam occassionally.

Schu
06-07-2009, 01:08 AM
That is his own fault though. Next time pls withdraw from tournaments before you go partying for the sake of us all. I'm hoping that won't be too much of an expensive lesson.

I suppose if you get photographed every time you come out of a club then it makes it look like you party a lot more than you actually do.

IT is absolutely his own fault but I still get PISSED about the technicality.

About the photos - true, but if you aren't up till 4-5 am you won't get photographed. I don't say he shouldn't enjoy himself and I know all too well that 20 something adults don't get started until after midnight. But he is supposed to be professional athlete not a college kid. I don't expect we'd see Nadal or Murray or Federer as often as Richie seems to show up in clubs at the wee hours of the morning. Buy HEY - that's just one of the MANY reasons I like Richie (and Safin and Nalbandian) - they know how to have fun once in awhile.