Richie will be back! WOoooooooohhHHOOooooo!!!!! [Archive] - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

Richie will be back! WOoooooooohhHHOOooooo!!!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

case
05-10-2009, 01:27 PM
why would they test him after he withdrew?

i wish we would get an answer to how long they might ban him for the difference between three mos and two years is a lot.

i cant believe they would wait for the end of the season to ban him.
this is so weird i cant believe it is gasquet we are talking about. i can think of a lot of other players that i would question

Eliande
05-10-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm not sure we should be talking about addiction here...he has only failed one drugs test. If he was truly addicted, surely this would have showed up before. :shrug:

I agree with that. An addiction to drugs (especially cocaine) wouldn't have gone unnoticed, I would think.
This situation is not at all clear...:confused:

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 01:30 PM
they can test you whenever they like. They have tested (I think it was Andy Murray or it might have been Rafa and they were very vocal about it) the morning after a tournament ended at about 6am at home.

case
05-10-2009, 01:35 PM
i understand after a tournament, but before when you already withdrew-still sounds kind of weird

Tess Gray
05-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Rafa has complained that they even showed up on his vacation in the early morning so.. They can test whenever they want to.

Cin
05-10-2009, 01:44 PM
http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/3/en/players/default.asp
there isnt his name~~

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 01:47 PM
I think he probably withdrew too late but who knows. Also how long are you in competition for once you withdraw. If you withdraw on the saturday after the deadline but don't get tested until say the wednesday and you haven't played, are you in competition or not. If you lose before finals are you still in competition or not. I'm not certain at all.

tufani
05-10-2009, 02:00 PM
I guess the news about his withdrawal was in the press the day when Troicki beat Nalbandian, and it was a second round match, so...

tennis lover
05-10-2009, 02:00 PM
I think he probably withdrew too late but who knows. Also how long are you in competition for once you withdraw. If you withdraw on the saturday after the deadline but don't get tested until say the wednesday and you haven't played, are you in competition or not. If you lose before finals are you still in competition or not. I'm not certain at all.
A Player may be notified that he/she has been selected for Testing in conjunction with an Event in which he/she is participating at any time from 00.01 local time on the day of the first match of the main draw (or of the qualifying draw, if he/she is participating in the qualifying draw) of the Competition in question until immediately following the completion of the Player’s last match in the Event

Any Player who retires, is a no-show, is defaulted from a match or withdraws from the main draw or qualifying draw after the first match of such draw has commenced must submit to Testing at the time of the retirement/no show/default/withdrawal if requested to do so.

I don't think they can ask you to test a long time after you withdraw, it would probably be on the same day. It's all here: http://www.itftennis.com/antidoping/rules/

reggie1
05-10-2009, 02:02 PM
I wonder if he will at least get a visit from the police if it proves positive on the B test, just to make an example out of him? OMG!

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Well surely he wasn't thick enough to party before he withdrew, I heard he partied after so maybe he might get away with it on a technicality.

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 02:04 PM
I wonder if he will at least get a visit from the police if it proves positive on the B test, just to make an example out of him? OMG!

Probably isn't coke still a class A drug, they would want to know who supplied him.

reggie1
05-10-2009, 02:08 PM
But he may not get banned until the end of the season then?
People are saying that the other frenchies will want to disassociate themselves from him but I think Jo and Gael will stand by him. They both strike me as very loyal, Gael especially.

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 02:11 PM
I would think Gael certainly would. I don't know enough about Jo. Gael strikes me as very loyal.

Just a thought but if there was police involvement even if he doesn't get banned won't it affect entry to countries like America. I know someone who got a public disorder conviction (being cheeky to the police at a bus stop having had a few drinks) in 1968 and apparantly he had trouble getting an American visa.

reggie1
05-10-2009, 02:20 PM
The implications of this will be never ending unfortunately. It's almost as if he got fed up with the quiet boy, maybe gay image, that he has been hell bent on creating this party animal, sleeping with loads of girls type of persona when that's probably not who he really is at all (I've read many articles lately where he has been cited as a party animal)_. I just don't get him. Even if he is allowed to still play until the decision is made, I don't see him playing in the interim. The implications of this are starting to dawn on me and I feel really upset now. I do not see positive things ahead.

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 02:25 PM
My friend said to me that if she had been asked out of the top 50 who this might happen too she would have said Richie. She thinks the pressure has got to him and he has a dark side. I just hope he gets off very lightly.

Gasquetno.1
05-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Just found out this news
:eek::sad:
shouldnt his press conference be going on now??

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure they will do one until they get the B sample and know where they stand. I wonder if he will admit it but say it is out of competition or totally deny anything.

Davodus
05-10-2009, 02:43 PM
i dont think the police will be involved :shrug: they never got involved with martina, and he was never found in with drugs on him, so i doubt it will be an issue

case
05-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Just a thought but if there was police involvement even if he doesn't get banned won't it affect entry to countries like America. I know someone who got a public disorder conviction (being cheeky to the police at a bus stop having had a few drinks) in 1968 and apparantly he had trouble getting an American visa.

he shouldnt have any trouble he hasnt been convicted of anything.

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 02:51 PM
I know that I'm talking if there is any police involvement. Hopefully there won't be.

Jozie
05-10-2009, 02:56 PM
The implications of this will be never ending unfortunately. It's almost as if he got fed up with the quiet boy, maybe gay image, that he has been hell bent on creating this party animal, sleeping with loads of girls type of persona when that's probably not who he really is at all (I've read many articles lately where he has been cited as a party animal)_. I just don't get him. Even if he is allowed to still play until the decision is made, I don't see him playing in the interim. The implications of this are starting to dawn on me and I feel really upset now. I do not see positive things ahead.

I feel just as upset as you. Richie is an enigma - a lost soul. Waiting for the outcome is torture, as I am sure it is for his family, friends, coaching team, FFT, fans and all those who support and care for him. We can only hope for the best - and as us faithful fans always wish for - something positive to come from a seemingly dire situation. :sad:

PinkFeatherBoa
05-10-2009, 03:03 PM
"The waiting is the hardest part"

Little did I realise how much that was true. Even the Funny Fotos thread didn't cheer me up. :awww:

Preparing for the worst, hoping for the best. :shrug:

Tess Gray
05-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Funny foto's thread didn't cheer me up either but your avvie put a little smile on my face:lol:

PinkFeatherBoa
05-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Funny foto's thread didn't cheer me up either but your avvie put a little smile on my face:lol:

;) :hug:

Although when I think back to the original reason I made it, seems so trivial in comparison. :awww:

sorry everyone..last mopey post from me for now

marina36
05-10-2009, 03:26 PM
This night, I slept with dificulty... At home, I have the impression that nobody can understand me. It's dificult to see in web and TV that Richard is now considered as a "cheater".

I'm afraid... :(

but-it's-ok
05-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Jenny you don't have to apologise for a mopey post or two;):hug:. I feel mopey and so sad myself. Just cant get my head around the situation Ritchie finds himself in:sad::sad:

Its so difficult for me to associate Ritchie with a story like this:sad::sad:

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Jenny you don't have to apologise for a mopey post or two;):hug:. I feel mopey and so sad myself. Just cant get my head around the situation Ritchie finds himself in:sad::sad:

yup I agree with that one. Is there going to be a presser today, does anyone with French tv know?

Gretchen.
05-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Should this make us feel better....

The French federation has confirmed that Gasquet failed a drugs test in Miami. "The FFT has learnt of the positive test of Richard Gasquet at the Miami tournament, although no official notification has been made," it said in a statement.

SUKTUEN
05-10-2009, 03:30 PM
oh no, I am so woory about him

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Should this make us feel better....

where was that posted?

Puschkin
05-10-2009, 03:31 PM
At home, I have the impression that nobody can understand me.
That is why it is good to come here. Here all people understand you. :wavey:

It's dificult to see in web and TV that Richard is now considered as a "cheater".
I am not sure. On GM they rather call him stupid, but not a cheater and he even gets a lot of sympathy or at least neutral comments.

Gretchen.
05-10-2009, 03:33 PM
where was that posted?

It says it at L'equipe and tennis.com

L'equipe article- http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2009/20090510_132615_la-fft-dans-l-attente-pour-gasquet.html

Tennis.com article- http://tennis.com/news/ticker.aspx

Gasquetno.1
05-10-2009, 03:34 PM
This night, I slept with dificulty... At home, I have the impression that nobody can understand me. It's dificult to see in web and TV that Richard is now considered as a "cheater".

I'm afraid... :(

I have the same problem at home, they just laugh and joke about it. I cant believe it, I have never seen him play live and he might never play again if he is banned for 2 years :sad:

SUKTUEN
05-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Oh no, did Richard say anythung about it?

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 03:39 PM
It says it at L'equipe and tennis.com

L'equipe article- http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2009/20090510_132615_la-fft-dans-l-attente-pour-gasquet.html

Tennis.com article- http://tennis.com/news/ticker.aspx

It doesn't really say that on the fft site it just says that the news is out there and that it hasn't been confirmed or proven. So nothing new really. They don't according to my understanding of it confirm that he has failed.

http://www.fft.fr/filinfos/default.asp?ID=4922

PinkFeatherBoa
05-10-2009, 03:42 PM

Its so difficult for me to associate Ritchie with a story like this:sad::sad:

yup I agree with that one. Is there going to be a presser today, does anyone with French tv know?

Thanks. :hug: You're right of course, just had a stressful week in general (and running on 2 hours sleep!) , so feeling whingey. :lol:

It really is at least a small comfort to come here and chat with people who are feeling similar. :)

marina36
05-10-2009, 03:54 PM
I am not sure. On GM they rather call him stupid, but not a cheater and he even gets a lot of sympathy or at least neutral comments.

In fact, it depends... I saw in some internet sites that he is considered as a cheater but in others sites, they prefer wait the confirmation..

It's good to know that here, each one understands everyone...

Gretchen.
05-10-2009, 03:57 PM
But see that's the thing...how the hell is he cheating??? It's not like his results have been getting better and cocaine barely helps you do good especially when you are an athlete so this whole cheater thing I don't get.

tennisfan444
05-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Its so sad for him. I can't imagine the stress and pain hes under right now. No matter what happens with the future he'll always be a fave of mine

but-it's-ok
05-10-2009, 04:01 PM
He hasn't cheated for sure,no way..cocaine wouldn't EVER help anyone to perform better whatever their profession.

~*BGT*~
05-10-2009, 04:08 PM
No press conference yet?

case
05-10-2009, 04:12 PM
No press conference yet?

yeah when is it? isnt it like 5:00 there? i hope they dont cancel that would look really bad! and besides it would drive me nuts.
i'm a little surprised i am taking this so hard.

case
05-10-2009, 04:14 PM
bgt- you are crying in your gasquet sig now. i am sorry...

Gretchen.
05-10-2009, 04:15 PM
No nothing yet :mad: :sad: I mean it is mid afternoon there by now.....

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 04:15 PM
No press conference yet?

he is apparantly meeting with his lawyers today so I doubt there will be one

~*BGT*~
05-10-2009, 04:25 PM
bgt- you are crying in your gasquet sig now. i am sorry...

This is just a sad situation. :sad:

he is apparantly meeting with his lawyers today so I doubt there will be one

I thought it was Team Lagardere's press conference. :confused:

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 04:28 PM
This is just a sad situation. :sad:

I thought it was Team Lagardere's press conference. :confused:

I wouldn't think anyone would give a presser without legal advice and I would imagine his lawyers are lagardere lawyers.

They might release a statement today but I can't see them doing a presser now.

Schu
05-10-2009, 04:44 PM
yeah when is it? isnt it like 5:00 there? i hope they dont cancel that would look really bad! and besides it would drive me nuts.
i'm a little surprised i am taking this so hard.

Me TOO! the taking it hard part and the driving nuts part also. although I'm not so sure the press conference would at this point give all the answers. How long before the "B" test results?

I'm sure he is going through HELL. HOpe he learns a VERY important lesson whatever happens.

j'adore_richie
05-10-2009, 04:54 PM
OMG...I finally get some time to come onto this forum after weeks of a hectic uni schedule and I get this? I'm literally shaking right now. I really can't believe this...I really hope he's telling the truth about not intentionally taking it. Of course I feel really bad for him right now, and I hoping he is innocent. But who knows? *Runs off to room to sob*

Puschkin
05-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Affaire Gasquet: Santoro "choqué et très surpris"

Interrogé à l'antenne d'Europe 1 dimanche après-midi sur le contrôle positif à la cocaïne subi par Richard Gasquet fin mars, Fabrice Santoro a confié sa stupéfaction: "Je suis choqué et très surpris, car je connais Richard et son mode de vie. Soit je me suis trompé, ce qui m'étonnerait car je le connais très bien, soit il y a quelque chose que j'ignore et je ne peux donc pas en parler. Je l'ai eu au téléphone hier soir, il est très triste et choqué. Il ne comprend pas ce qui s'est passé. Il m'a expliqué son diner, sa soirée, pour le reste je n'ai pas de commentaires à faire. Je suis comme tout le monde, j'attends d'en savoir plus. Je me mets à sa place ça doit être horrible."

Source: http://www.sports.fr/cmc/scanner/tennis/200919/affaire-gasquet-santoro-choque-et-tres-surpris_226219.html?popup

Nothing revealing, brief summary: He says Richard is sad and shocked and does not understand what happened. He talked about his diner and evening (I assume the one in Miami) and Fabrice has nothing to add. And that it is horrible to imagine to be in his place.

:mad: Are we now getting every French player commenting on it before we hear from the man himself?

Cin
05-10-2009, 04:59 PM
who is this Sinclair guy?

j'adore_richie
05-10-2009, 04:59 PM
What's the situation like in France? Is it just a media circus? What is the reaction? I know that the French are very unforgiving of 'dopers' in sport because of the way it has tainted the name of the Tour de France etc, and I know that those who are caught can be imprisoned...

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 05:00 PM
who is this Sinclair guy?

french singer

maybe he hasn't done it. I used to go to a lot of dance clubs etc but I've never done a line in my life.

Davodus
05-10-2009, 05:02 PM
at least richard is shocked and sad...not content and unsurprised...:lol:

Cin
05-10-2009, 05:02 PM

Interrogé à l'antenne d'Europe 1 dimanche après-midi sur le contrôle positif à la cocaïne subi par Richard Gasquet fin mars, Fabrice Santoro a confié sa stupéfaction: "Je suis choqué et très surpris, car je connais Richard et son mode de vie. Soit je me suis trompé, ce qui m'étonnerait car je le connais très bien, soit il y a quelque chose que j'ignore et je ne peux donc pas en parler. Je l'ai eu au téléphone hier soir, il est très triste et choqué. Il ne comprend pas ce qui s'est passé. Il m'a expliqué son diner, sa soirée, pour le reste je n'ai pas de commentaires à faire. Je suis comme tout le monde, j'attends d'en savoir plus. Je me mets à sa place ça doit être horrible."

Source: http://www.sports.fr/cmc/scanner/tennis/200919/affaire-gasquet-santoro-choque-et-tres-surpris_226219.html?popup

Nothing revealing, brief summary: He says Richard is sad and shocked and does not understand what happened. He talked about his diner and evening (I assume the one in Miami) and Fabrice has nothing to add. And that it is horrible to imagine to be in his place.

:mad: Are we now getting every French player commenting on it before we hear from the man himself?
Qu'est-ce que tu as fait, Richard???
je pense qu'il a trop bu au club.

Cin
05-10-2009, 05:03 PM
What's the situation like in France? Is it just a media circus? What is the reaction? I know that the French are very unforgiving of 'dopers' in sport because of the way it has tainted the name of the Tour de France etc, and I know that those who are caught can be imprisoned...

I bought a Lequipe today, he is on the same page with Boneen.

Gretchen.
05-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Now Llodra is talking about it....

Llodra attend également d'en savoir plus. «Je prends ça avec beaucoup de recul, c'est vrai que le dopage est là... La cocaïne n'est pas un dopant mais reste une substance interdite. Donc, si c'était confirmé, il faudra qu'il vive avec ça et surtout qu'il s'explique. Ce serait dommageable pour le tennis français, mais lui seul en subirait les conséquences. Je ne sais pas dans quel contexte il a pu en prendre ou s'il s'est fait avoir. Seul lui le sait. Dans les soirées, je fais très très attention, je garde mon verre à la main, car je sais que ce genre de bêtise peut très vite arriver.»

Keijan
05-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Llodra speaking too after Santoro in l'équipe :

Fabrice Santoro et Michaël Llodra ont réagi, dimanche sur Europe 1, au contrôle positif de Richard Gasquet. Le premier cité se dit très étonné, tandis que le deuxième attend que Gasquet s'explique si cela devait être confirmé.

«Je connais Richard depuis ses neuf ans, donc je suis très surpris. J'ai appris l'affaire hier soir. Le connais son mode de vie et ça me surprend énormément parce que ça ne lui correspond pas. Je l'ai eu au téléphone, il est triste et vraiment choqué. Il m'a expliqué son dîner, sa soirée... Pour le reste, je n'ai pas de commentaire à faire. Ou alors je me suis trompé sur lui - ce qui m'étonnerait profondément - ou alors il y a un problème ailleurs», a ainsi confié Santoro, membre comme Gasquet du Team Lagardère et qui attend désormais les résultats de la contre-expertise. «J'attends la contre-expertise, j'attends d'en savoir plus. Je me mets à la place de Richard, je n'ai aucun doute sur son mode de vie et sur son hygiène de vie mais il y a eu ce contrôle... Maintenant il faut attendre.»

Llodra attend également d'en savoir plus. «Je prends ça avec beaucoup de recul, c'est vrai que le dopage est là... La cocaïne n'est pas un dopant mais reste une substance interdite. Donc, si c'était confirmé, il faudra qu'il vive avec ça et surtout qu'il s'explique. Ce serait dommageable pour le tennis français, mais lui seul en subirait les conséquences. Je ne sais pas dans quel contexte il a pu en prendre ou s'il s'est fait avoir. Seul lui le sait. Dans les soirées, je fais très très attention, je garde mon verre à la main, car je sais que ce genre de bêtise peut très vite arriver.»

Santoro can't believe it because he has known Richie since he's 9 and it doesn't look like him at all. So either he has been mistaken on Richie for all that time -but he doesn't believe it- or there was a problem somewhere.

Llodra says he will have to face the consequences if it's confirmed and maybe someone could have abused him and put it in his glass during a party or something. He himself always takes super care of his drinks because it can happen super fast.

Sinclair is a singer, quite famous, he's also a jury (?) in the French American Idol. In my opinion he's very far from the drugs-and-prostitute singer profile. I actually like him. But I thought Richie was at a Sinclar party which is a bit different : Bob Sinclar is a French DJ but, I mean, he has a wife, he's not exactly Amy Winehouse :shrug:

Tess Gray
05-10-2009, 05:13 PM
It's already turned into "Affaire Gasquet" :sad:

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 05:17 PM
thats nice from Llodra. I expect nice from Fabrice.

reggie1
05-10-2009, 05:19 PM

:mad: Are we now getting every French player commenting on it before we hear from the man himself?So it sounds as if Richard told Fabrice that he has no idea how this has happened? Perhaps there is some hope. The only thing I don't understand, is if somebody spikes your drink with Cocaine and you have never taken anything like that before, wouldn't you be terribly unwell and have withdrawal symptoms for the next day! How would he have concealed this from his entourage? Wouldn't it have been better to release a statement at the time stating what had happened or even go to the drugs testing people for the sake of transparency? I know it's easy to say in hindsight but isn't that what his entourage are for? To look out for him?
One thing's for sure, I bet Papa and Mama Gasquest will give him hell over this!
Just so I am clear on this, the first test was done end of March, is it correct that the B test would have been done a few days later so is it probable that they already know the results of the B test? (I may be getting confused with what I have read) and how long does Cocaine stay in your system for from a testing point of view? Could it be that it didn't happen in Miami after all?
Thanks Puschkin for the link.

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 05:22 PM
8-10 days I believe depending on how much you took.

Schu
05-10-2009, 05:23 PM
People are saying that the other frenchies will want to disassociate themselves from him but I think Jo and Gael will stand by him. They both strike me as very loyal, Gael especially.

If that happens then all those other Frenchies are just f#$%ed up. Unless he turns out to be coke head (and even then) he needs support and friendship more than ever. I THINK this was a one (or two) time thing - if he were regular user it would have shown up before.

THis is sort of like the Michael Phelps pot thing but Richie is not nearly the tennis superstar Phelps is in swimming and its cocaine not pot but there was a big deal and talk of police and being charged but so far I think it has sort of faded away. And Phelps wasn't in competition so I guess it's not really much of a parallel. Although there was all this talk about being a role model which just kills me - they are humans too and stop putting these people on a pedestal.

SOme people have this dark side, gloom and doom picture of Richard but I'm not really seeing that. Yes he clearly feels the pressure of playing and seems a bit tortured about his tennis but I don't see this deep dark depressed person. I see a confused young adult who questions what he wants to do with his life, feels extra pressure to perform, is trying to be his own person and not that of his parents, his coaches or managers. I think the rash of injuries in the last year have caused him great distress - not the fact that he doesn't want to be a professional athlete. In many of the pictures I see of him practicing he is smiling and laughing, although a lot less since Eric left... and I've seen that love of comeptition is his face in a few matches this year -Verdasco at AO and two in Rome.

I see a talented but tortured, good looking, rich young man who is trying to become his own person and not sure what that is yet. It's scary and he may well make some wrong and stupid decisions but I just don't think he's the sad, depressed miserable person some see. Or at least wasn't until this "affaire"

And when is any statemetn gonna come from him. I'm dying here.

Tess Gray
05-10-2009, 05:24 PM
http://www.passadrugtestingforall.com/long-cocaine-stays-your-system-a-5.html

Cocain can stay in your hair up to about 90 days. But there are also information that cocaine can stay in your hair for about 25 years after you only take it once.

:eek:

Keijan
05-10-2009, 05:29 PM
It's confirmed !!!

http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2009/20090510_182155_gasquet-confirme.html

Richard Gasquet a officiellement confirmé dimanche avoir été contrôlé positif à la cocaïne avant le tournoi de Miami. S'exprimant dans un communiqué, le joueur français a annoncé par la même occasion que la contre-expertise avait confirmé la première analyse.

Richie confirmed he had a positive test and announced that the counter expertise confirmed the first analysis.

FUCK

Davodus
05-10-2009, 05:29 PM
well i was pretty sure it would be positive too if the first one was :shrug:

Dini
05-10-2009, 05:30 PM
translate please ...:crying2:

reggie1
05-10-2009, 05:31 PM
OMG Tess, I didn't realise that, I wonder if they will do a hair test aswell.
As for him only taking it a few times, I think they can tell from a hair test if somebody is a regular user, I'm like you Schu, I would find it hard to believe that this would have been a regular thing for him. How could he have played professional tennis if it were? Surely he would have been tested before this and been caught? I'm not sure how often they get tested?
I often thinks Richard looks unhappy on court and in matches tbh, I have seen pics of him with his head in his hands on the practice court in China I think it was. Who knows though whether that was because of tennis or if he really is that unhappy.
I just wonder if like a lot of young people or anybody really in that situation, he has got caught up with the party life style and easily influenced?

Keijan
05-10-2009, 05:32 PM
I just translated. He said in a communicate that he confirmed having been tested positive (it wasn't official before) and also announced that the counter expertise had confirmed the first analysis. They don't say anything else.

I'm trying to find the communicate

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 05:34 PM
So what he is saying the B sample confirmed it? Sorry I could understand the rest but don't really get that bit

Gretchen.
05-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Yeah me neither, has the result of the 'B' sample come back??

Dini
05-10-2009, 05:35 PM
So what are the implications of this? Does anyone know yet?

:bigcry:

Keijan
05-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Yes, I think I was clear, no ? The B sample, what we call counter expertise (unless this isn't english, i have no idea) confirmed he was positive to cocaine

Keijan
05-10-2009, 05:37 PM
It means it wasn't a mistake and he really had cocaine in his body, whether he took it willingly or was abused into taking it. Which means at least 3 months suspended, at most 2 years

reggie1
So he has known and had to live with this for the last few weeks? This must have been awful. He must have played in Rome with this hanging over his head. Unless his drink was spiked, I know it's his own fault but I can't help but feel for him :sad:

Gretchen.
L'equipe

«L'examen de l'échantillon B du contrôle subi fin mars 2009, pendant le tournoi de Miami, auquel je n'ai pas participé, a confirmé le caractère positif du résultat de l'échantillon A prélevé le même jour », a ainsi reconnu le joueur. En revanche, l'analyse capillaire réalisée auprès d'un laboratoire indépendant n'a pour sa part révélé aucune trace de cocaïne selon Gasquet. Ce test était effectué dans le but de prouver que le Tricolore n'était pas un consommateur régulier. «Compte tenu de la complexité de ce dossier, je réunis actuellement les preuves de mon innocence et fixerai le moment opportun pour m'exprimer», a enfin terminé le Biterrois.

My french is very rusty but he is gonna try to prove that he is innocent right?
and he says that the 'B' test was positive as well...

*Martolina*
When can we now have new information on this ugly thing? Poor Richie..

reggie1
05-10-2009, 05:41 PM
I may be clutching at staws here but could he have tested positive through sexual exploits with somebody who has taken it?

Schu
It's confirmed !!!

http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2009/20090510_182155_gasquet-confirme.html

Richard Gasquet a officiellement confirmé dimanche avoir été contrôlé positif à la cocaïne avant le tournoi de Miami. S'exprimant dans un communiqué, le joueur français a annoncé par la même occasion que la contre-expertise avait confirmé la première analyse.

Richie confirmed he had a positive test and announced that the counter expertise confirmed the first analysis.

FUCK

This isn't really new. Usually the "B" test is positive too, unless it was a mistake which it usually isn't. Did HE actually say this somewhere or a spokesperson - not that it matters, just curious if he's out there dealing with it.

Dini
So he took it intentionally then? :eek:

:sad:

Cloudygirl
So he has already had a hair sample done? He must have known about this for a while then.

Keijan
Yes, he's actually gathering evidence that he is innocent. The hair testing didn't give anything which means he's not a regular consumer. He will talk publicly when he decides to

*Martolina*
05-10-2009, 05:42 PM
into analysis of his hair were not found traces of cocaine =S

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 05:44 PM
I may be clutching at staws here but could he have tested positive through sexual exploits with somebody who has taken it?

not unless they had consumed an incredible amount of cocaine. I'm sure that there was an american legal case on this once where someone tried to claim they had a postive test through oral sex. It was proved it wasn't possible.

I can't see that he has confirmed that he took anything knowingly or deliberately Nad.

I wonder how long he has known.

PinkFeatherBoa
05-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks for all the translation help, Marion. Really appreciate it, I can barely think in English at times like this, let alone other languages. :o

So both tests are positive, not that I didn't expect that...oh, what a mess. How long has he known? :sad:

*Martolina*
05-10-2009, 05:47 PM
now,
hair saying that he is innocent but the tests say first that he is guilty..what will happen now?

Gretchen.
05-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Someone posted this on GM and I totally agree

I'm confused. Some people are saying recreational drugs are only on the out-of-competition banned substances list. Can anyone verify if this is the case for tennis? If he tested positive at a tournament in which he did not play, and the scientific evidence (that people have posted in this thread) is that cocaine's potential performance-enhancing qualities last only a few hours, I don't see why he should be facing a ban since there is no way his (alleged) cocaine use had any affect on his tennis whatsoever. What a mess.

Dini
05-10-2009, 05:48 PM
I am really confused...

Sorry guys, bear with me a bit. So has he tested positive for both?

But the B-sample is negative? :confused:

Schu
05-10-2009, 05:50 PM
So he has known and had to live with this for the last few weeks? This must have been awful. He must have played in Rome with this hanging over his head. Unless his drink was spiked, I know it's his own fault but I can't help but feel for him :sad:

Just thought about that - how the hell did he even play? Unless he really didn't think there was a problem and I'm still not convinced of that one.

This is like a soap opera and I'm getting too involved - I swear you think he was my kid or something. TIme for me to go and enjoy my Sunday. Guess we won't hear more about this today or early evening in France. The question now is how long the ban and more importantly how he is coping with this blow.

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 05:51 PM
I am really confused...

Sorry guys, bear with me a bit. So has he tested positive for both?

But the B-sample is negative? :confused:

His A and B are urine tests both taken the same day, both positive. Hair sample he had done independently is negative.

I do wonder how long he has known I suppose they could rush it but I have used drug detection companies in my work previously and results usually take between 48 hours - 2 weeks ish I believe.

reggie1
05-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Well if he is saying he is innocent he can't have taken it intentionally then?
What normally happens in cases like this? Could it be that some medication he was taking caused the test to turn out positive? When will he be banned? He needs to play Wimbly :sad:

Dini
05-10-2009, 05:52 PM
So now really all we're waiting for is to know whether he did it deliberately or not.

Thanks for explaining Tori btw :hatoff:

reggie1
05-10-2009, 05:55 PM
He had his own hair test one? But when? If he contacted a drug testing company in the US and sorted this out for himself I'm surprised this wasn't leaked before?

reggie1
05-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Sky have just reported that he has admitted to testing positive for it but nothing was mentioned about him admitting to taking it.

PinkFeatherBoa
05-10-2009, 05:58 PM
The BBC finally made an article, now that it's really starting to be confirmed....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8042543.stm

Says he will explain himself "at an appropriate time"

reggie1
05-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Maybe I'm optimistic but I don't think he will be banned for more than 3 months. Given the fact that he wasn't playing in Miami, I don't see how they can justify it?

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Maybe I'm optimistic but I don't think he will be banned for more than 3 months. Given the fact that he wasn't playing in Miami, I don't see how they can justify it?

I think it depends when he was tested though. If it was before he withdrew then they would argue that he withdrew because he knew the test would be positive.

krn81
05-10-2009, 06:09 PM
I am just back and see the updates, bad ones...
in one the commentaries on one french website, it is said one journalist of Stade 2 said that the test was done during the competition, just before his withdraw.
If it is right, 2 years suspension will probably give to him.
I am not sure the hair test will help him; I hope he has really good lawyers.
Llodra said that you need to be careful with your glass during party, so it is still possible it was not voluntary. And if (and i hope) it was the case, i am feeling really sorry for him and could be really hard time for him...

case
05-10-2009, 06:10 PM
might just be the BBC and a funny way of wording it. but did he just have the hair test? if you are going to prov e yourself innocent i would have a another urine sample and a hair test

from the BBC:
"he had submitted himself to an independent test and that a hair analysis "showed no trace of cocaine". "

why didnt they just say he had a independent hair analysis that came back negative?

Naina
05-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Ohh no no no no no.
Please ler it be a minimal ban. My heart goes out to Richie he must be feeling horrible :sad:

*Martolina*
05-10-2009, 06:16 PM
must he now do further analysis?

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 06:18 PM
might just be the BBC and a funny way of wording it. but did he just have the hair test? if you are going to prov e yourself innocent i would have a another urine sample and a hair test

from the BBC:
"he had submitted himself to an independent test and that a hair analysis "showed no trace of cocaine". "

why didnt they just say he had a independent hair analysis that came back negative?

cos I think no trace means absolutely nothing. Sometimes because of margin for error you could pass a test where there was still a trace.

He could have urine tests too but it wouldn't pick up anything that was there in miami now. Window for detection with urine is normally 1-4 days more if a large content has been ingested.

Gasquetno.1
05-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Well at least he knows hes innocent, which is a good sign. I couldnt see him trying to clear his name if he knew he took it intentionally. I have a good feeling that he will come out of this with no ban.

*Martolina*
05-10-2009, 06:25 PM
here we all hope he comes out of this story soon, he has to work and he needs to show everyone his innocence as he has already told the bbc

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 06:26 PM
How does this now work. Is he suspended pending a sentence or does he play until the end of the season?

RFK
05-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Oh no..I just found out about this and I'm actually really sad for him.
If he did take cocaine willingly, I have to say I'm disappointed. If it's all true, I think he's wasted his talent because I'm inclined to think if he gets a 2 year ban, he might not return.
But however, I struggle to believe he would behave like this. I can't say I know him personally and I obviously don't know what exactly has happened throughout his life, but I really do not think he seems like the kind of guy who would take drugs, recreational or otherwise. Even if he was under extreme pressure and was feeling depressed, he just doesn't seem like he would, which I think is why this is as shocking for me as it is.
My heart actually sank when I read about this. I really hope he didn't outwardly take it, but even if he did, I wish him all the luck in the world.

Schu
05-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Well at least he knows hes innocent, which is a good sign. I couldnt see him trying to clear his name if he knew he took it intentionally. I have a good feeling that he will come out of this with no ban.

I think he will still get some sort of ban, cuz I can't think of anyone who ended up with no ban - almost like the authorities want to send a message. But even if he does walk away with no ban and a cleared name, he doesn't walk away unscarred by any means. We've said this before but THIS time we will REALLY see what he is made of. Stay strong Richie!!

*Martolina*
05-10-2009, 06:35 PM
I believe that today the news are over, we can now only see what will happen in the next few days. Richie, we are all with you

Davodus
05-10-2009, 06:41 PM
i am so mad :o
if he didn't take it intentionally, which he seems to have said
so help me god, if someone slipped it to him i want that persons name :mad:

krn81
05-10-2009, 06:42 PM
How does this now work. Is he suspended pending a sentence or does he play until the end of the season?
I dont the rules but i guess he cant play since they do not decide what will be the consequences.
The test A and B are positive. The ITF has these tests. The hair test was done by him to prove his innocence. He has to work with lawyers to defend himself to the ITF. The small problem here is all this staff should not be revealed in the press. In somehow, a leakeage happened (fft, lagardere or someone else). Maybe this could help him in his defense. I dont remember but how did it happen with Martina Higgins?
After, I rode in others french websites that the test was done after his withdrawal. In summary, no one knows.
I also rode that a statement will be given tomorrow. (i dont remember who and what)

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 06:46 PM
i am so mad :o
if he didn't take it intentionally, which he seems to have said
so help me god, if someone slipped it to him i want that persons name :mad:

me too I'd help you with revenge on that one, I can be very creative.

If it was after his withdrawal and not same day I think he could def have a case for not being in competition. Maybe it is why no official announcement has been made yet. Both sides considering their options.I wonder when he found out. Someone posted that he had booked flights out of Rome before his match with verdasco, maybe he found out then.

krn81
05-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Only him and the official of ITF know when the withdraw and test were done. It could be a question only of hours.
For sure, he did not know from yesterday, the hairs test is already done, so he knew since few days. It could also a reason why he withdrawed from Estoril and Madrid.

Cin
05-10-2009, 07:01 PM

I dont know when he knew the result of exam.

I was in Rome, the only tounement that he palyed after Miami.you know what, he was kind of relax and confortable when he practiced,especially during the recovey of injury.but he was weired there, unhappy I think.It could tell.
I talked this with my friends. He didnt say hello when he saw the palyers,Djokovic, even Federer for the 1st time, and didnt do the autograph stuffs even though the kids were waiting for him and calling his name. He just went away after the practice or matches. This was so unnormal. Just like what I said to my friends, this Richard was different.

he must feel terrible. It's already very hard for us. I hope he could get through this. whatever happen, 3 months or 2 years, I hope that he could do the right things, the best things for himself.Gasquetaires always support him there.

Tennis is not the only choice.

groundstroke
05-10-2009, 07:03 PM
By the way if anyone thinks Gasquet will face no punishment if someone slipped the drug into his drink or something (unintentionally), he will still be banned for 2 years.

Cin
05-10-2009, 07:06 PM
I am just back and see the updates, bad ones...
in one the commentaries on one french website, it is said one journalist of Stade 2 said that the test was done during the competition, just before his withdraw.
If it is right, 2 years suspension will probably give to him.
I am not sure the hair test will help him; I hope he has really good lawyers.
Llodra said that you need to be careful with your glass during party, so it is still possible it was not voluntary. And if (and i hope) it was the case, i am feeling really sorry for him and could be really hard time for him...

this is really a bad news, we can foget the out of competition rules.:sad:

Cin
05-10-2009, 07:08 PM
the hair test of Martina was negative, but she still got the suspension.
so I dont think this result can help.

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 07:11 PM

but she never appealed.

groundstroke
05-10-2009, 07:11 PM

Yeah so Gasquet is banned for 2 years for sure as the minimum, I guess he'll be one player who had the potential to do something but lost it...

Cin
05-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Yeah so Gasquet is banned for 2 years for sure as the minimum, I guess he'll be one player who had the potential to do something but lost it...we dont know yet.

Tess Gray
05-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Okay so he will be banned for sure (that's what I think anyway). Let's just hope it's 3 months and not 2 years :sobbing:

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 07:35 PM
there is no absolute banning period. Tons of players that have been banned have had bans reduced on appeal.

Canas had his reduced to 15 months
Melo's was only 2 months
Volandri had his removed entirely - granted it was for salbutamol
Puerta's first drugs ban was only 9 months
There was a woman player (can't remember who) only suspended for 3 months for taking cocaine.

At the moment I believe he can still play under the rules until a hearing but I bet he won't.

PinkFeatherBoa
05-10-2009, 07:39 PM
there is no absolute banning period. Tons of players that have been banned have had bans reduced on appeal.

Melo's was only 2 months
There was a woman player (can't remember who) only suspended for 3 months for taking cocaine.

At the moment I believe he can still play under the rules until a hearing but I bet he won't.

+Coria's ban of 7 months in 2001 (which was reduced from 2 years)

There's really so much shades of grey with this whole banning process...

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 07:51 PM
exactly. I mean he might be unlucky and get two years but if he has good lawyers and given that other players have had far lighter bans I would think he should be arguing for a lighter ban. And playing in the meantime.

Schu
05-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Yeah so Gasquet is banned for 2 years for sure as the minimum, I guess he'll be one player who had the potential to do something but lost it...

NOt so fast.

I see a ban but how long could take months to determine based on precedent with other players. so you may still be able to bash him for a bit longer but I don't see him trying to play till a decision is reached.

reggie1
05-10-2009, 07:57 PM
I'm glad that he has come out and said that he wants to prove his innocence. Injuries permitting (if he really is injured) I think he should still play if he can until his ban starts. Stand strong and show that he has nothing to hide and nothing to be ashamed of. I do wish that he would make his statement asap though, I don't think him saying he'll do it when the time is right is really helping, the time to speak is NOW Richard to stop all this negative press if that is at all possible.

Cin
05-10-2009, 07:59 PM
exactly. I mean he might be unlucky and get two years but if he has good lawyers and given that other players have had far lighter bans I would think he should be arguing for a lighter ban. And playing in the meantime.

yeah.
now everything depends on his lawyer and communication team

but if he plays meanwhile, should we expect the good results? he alreay withdrew in Madrid obviously cos of the cocaine stuff. I dont think he will play in Roland Garros

Tess Gray
05-10-2009, 07:59 PM

Melo's was only 2 months

Oh seriously? I had no idea. Okay so it's a bit brighter then. I thought it was one or the other but now we can hope he doesn't get the full 2 years!:)

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Hingis got the book thrown at her to be honest but I think it was because she was a former number 1.

I think he could successfully argue that it wasn't to enhance his performance and that he didnt' actually compete. Might knock some time off at least.

Tess Gray
05-10-2009, 08:05 PM
I want to hear his statement. Do you think it will come tomorrow already? Maybe in a few days :confused:

Cin
05-10-2009, 08:06 PM
but the timing is really bad.
ATP has the news rules to be anti-drugs this year.

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 08:07 PM
I want to hear his statement. Do you think it will come tomorrow already? Maybe in a few days :confused:

I think that quote in l'equipe was his statement for now. I would imagine lagardere will also make a statement and the fft maybe tomorrow.

Tess Gray
05-10-2009, 08:07 PM
but if he plays meanwhile, should we expect the good results? he alreay withdrew in Madrid obviously cos of the cocaine stuff. I dont think he will play in Roland Garros

Yeah I will very very surprised if he came to RG. I hope he has the guts to play though. Im curious to see as to how the French public would react to him. On the other hand, Im not sure I want to know :help:

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Yeah I will very very surprised if he came to RG. I hope he has the guts to play though. Im curious to see how the French public would react to him. On the other hand, Im not sure I want to know :help:

If he came to wimbledon he would get such a cheering from me he wouldn't know what has hit him.

He only very recently announced playing Eastbourne like this week and he must have known about this then so I think he might be planning on playing something.

Tess Gray
05-10-2009, 08:09 PM
but the timing is really bad.
ATP has the news rules to be anti-drugs this year.

Oh really? I have no clue about any of this. How did they change the rules? Did they make the bans longer?

I think that quote in l'equipe was his statement for now. I would imagine lagardere will also make a statement and the fft maybe tomorrow.

Yeah I hope lagardere will come with a statement.

Tess Gray
05-10-2009, 08:10 PM
If he came to wimbledon he would get such a cheering from me he wouldn't know what has hit him.

He only very recently announced playing Eastbourne like this week and he must have known about this then so I think he might be planning on playing something.

I wish he had decided to come to Holland like last year, because then I would cheer him on like crazy. I would make a HUGE banner:lol: That'd cheer him up!:D

Schu
05-10-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm glad that he has come out and said that he wants to prove his innocence. Injuries permitting (if he really is injured) I think he should still play if he can until his ban starts. Stand strong and show that he has nothing to hide and nothing to be ashamed of. I do wish that he would make his statement asap though, I don't think him saying he'll do it when the time is right is really helping, the time to speak is NOW Richard to stop all this negative press if that is at all possible.

Given how he puts his foot in his mouth everytime he speaks during a controversay it's probably best to wait until his legal team has organized an arguement.

I'm waiting to go play tennis and watching a WTA match on TTC while washing clothes (fun Sunday) and there was a HEad commercial with Murray and Novack - just made me think that guess we'll never see Richie on a commercial for Head or Lacoste and guess that awful Head & Sholders ad is :wavey: too. Just another consequence.

krn81
05-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Yeah I will very very surprised if he came to RG. I hope he has the guts to play though. Im curious to see as to how the French public would react to him. On the other hand, Im not sure I want to know :help:
oh i think it is better he does not play for a while in France (and it could be even worse for DC). Some french spectators are not so supportive to their compatriots, specially him before so after :rolleyes:. His picture is already bad with the stories from last year. After that "bomb news", well it is better he takes his time for a good defense and if he is allowed to play, go directly on the grass.
Hingis took two years because it was during wimbledon, in his case, it is a bit different, he was not playing in Miami. After there is still politics behind, new rules of anti doping are efficient, they should keep it, blabla, they maybe need to make one example.

Cin
05-10-2009, 08:21 PM

at least, I'll be there for him

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Given how he puts his foot in his mouth everytime he speaks during a controversay it's probably best to wait until his legal team has organized an arguement.

I'm waiting to go play tennis and watching a WTA match on TTC while washing clothes (fun Sunday) and there was a HEad commercial with Murray and Novack - just made me think that guess we'll never see Richie on a commercial for Head or Lacoste and guess that awful Head & Sholders ad is :wavey: too. Just another consequence.

I don't think Lacoste will ditch him. Head and Shoulders prob will though.

Cin
05-10-2009, 08:25 PM
what a decision Head&shoulder made!

Tess Gray
05-10-2009, 08:28 PM
at least, I'll be there for him

I think everybody on this forum will be here for him. Or at least I hope so:lol:

Gasquetno.1
05-10-2009, 08:29 PM

But didnt Santoro say when he rang Ritchie he was 'surprised' or something so maybe he didnt know

reggie1
05-10-2009, 08:30 PM
OMG, well Head and Shoulders is obviously no good at keeping the Devil's Dandruff at bay! Well, one of us had to say it.

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 08:33 PM
But didnt Santoro say when he rang Ritchie he was 'surprised' or something so maybe he didnt know

surprised and shocked to know that he tested positive.

I don't see how there is any way he got a hair sample independently tested in less than 12 hours so I'm sure he must have known about it before the story broke. Probably for a week or more given that he pulled out of madrid.

PinkFeatherBoa
05-10-2009, 08:33 PM
OMG, well Head and Shoulders is obviously no good at keeping the Devil's Dandruff at bay! Well, one of us had to say it.

:tape: Oh Vicky.

I don't think I would miss Head & Shoulders promotion, quite frankly. ;) That would be one (miniscule) blessing imo.

Eliande
05-10-2009, 08:34 PM
[QUOTE=Schu;8551134]Given how he puts his foot in his mouth everytime he speaks during a controversay it's probably best to wait until his legal team has organized an arguement.

Well... he has to learn to speak in his own defence, find the courage to face up to his responsibilities.
I agree with reggie: the time is NOW!

Eliande
05-10-2009, 08:36 PM

I don't see how there is any way he got a hair sample independently tested in less than 12 hours so I'm sure he must have known about it before the story broke. Probably for a week or more given that he pulled out of madrid.

Probably Santoro gave a diplomatic statement...

reggie1
05-10-2009, 08:41 PM
I still don't understand why his entourage did not do something sooner? If he had taken Cocaine inadvertently, he must have had serious side effects the next day surely? Wouldn't alarm bells have rung and wouldn't he have been seen by a doctor? I know I may be adding 2 and 2 and coming up with 5 but I don't get this? Also, I don't really get the whole hair sample thing either? How did he get it that quick and if he did it when he got back to France all it would probably prove is that he doesn't take Coke regularly which probably will not help him much in this situation.

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 08:46 PM
I still don't understand why his entourage did not do something sooner? If he had taken Cocaine inadvertently, he must have had serious side effects the next day surely? Wouldn't alarm bells have rung and wouldn't he have been seen by a doctor? I know I may be adding 2 and 2 and coming up with 5 but I don't get this? Also, I don't really get the whole hair sample thing either? How did he get it that quick and if he did it when he got back to France all it would probably prove is that he doesn't take Coke regularly which probably will not help him much in this situation.

thats all a hair sample can do anyway. You can roughly prove if you have consumed sufficient quanitites, what month a substance was consumed in but not what day or anything that detailed. It will rule out that you are a regular user but not that you have ever used. If in small enough quantities that won't show.

I would think he would have had bloods and more urines done privately but by the time he found out about the positive test it would have been too late. Pure speculation but I wonder if he did know in Rome cos someone posted about his dad buying plane tickets and him travelling back to Paris with his mum. But thats just me guessing.

EternalxJourney
05-10-2009, 08:51 PM
I am beyond shocked at this news. I hope Richard's camp will resolve this as quickly as possible because I cannot bear the thought of Richard going out the way Martina did. He still has so much to offer the tennis world.

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Martina was 27, he is 22 he has more to fight for in his career. Hopefully he will have a good defense.

krn81
05-10-2009, 09:20 PM

And it was a long weekend in France, Friday was off. So long week means no people in independent laboratories. He knew before yesterday, the news popped up earlier than expected and he had to say something. What strange is the behaviour of Lagardere and fft, fft said they did not know and wait for official confirmation of itf and lagardere, it is silence radio so far...

reggie1
05-10-2009, 09:24 PM
So do we know exactly when he found out? I thought he found out a few days after the first test, although if they call you back for a second test, perhaps you kind of know you are done for?! Or are we talking about him knowing the result of the second test a few days ago, I'm confused!????:confused:
When he says "prove his innocence" does he mean that he was only taking it for recreation and not for cheating? Is this how he means he is innocent. I know I'm going on but I want to know!

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Have lagardere said anything at all then? I am a bit confused too about the silence from the itf. You would have thought that they would have said something about his position by now.

Herdwick
05-10-2009, 09:26 PM
So nothing more known other than what is summarised on the BBC?

He must have been warned of this way in advance; guess it only came out because the second sample was positive. :sad:

Am also puzzled by the silence from his team.:shrug:

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 09:28 PM
So do we know exactly when he found out? I thought he found out a few days after the first test, although if they call you back for a second test, perhaps you kind of know you are done for?! Or are we talking about him knowing the result of the second test a few days ago, I'm confused!????:confused:
When he says "prove his innocence" does he mean that he was only taking it for recreation and not for cheating? Is this how he means he is innocent. I know I'm going on but I want to know!

They don't call you back for a second test. When you give a test you give an A and B sample most often at the same time but if not on the same day. Quite often athletes don't seem to get results until some time afterwards. So i'd say he has only recently found out but in enough time to get independent tests done and start investigations so I'm guessing around Rome time.

No idea about his innocence depends whether he is arguing he has taken it but isn't guilty because he wasn't playing or whether he is saying that he hasnt taken it at all. From what Santoro said I would imagine he is saying he didn't knowing take anything.

Eliande
05-10-2009, 09:29 PM

His entourage is a question mark, in my opinion. I've said it before, but I don't believe he's surrounded by the right people. All the problems he's had and no one to really give the kind of support he needed. I feel for him, I wish I could do something to help, but I can't.
Let's hope they can at least put together a good defence strategy.

Eliande
05-10-2009, 09:32 PM
They don't call you back for a second test. When you give a test you give an A and B sample most often at the same time but if not on the same day. Quite often athletes don't seem to get results until some time afterwards. So i'd say he has only recently found out but in enough time to get independent tests done and start investigations so I'm guessing around Rome time.

No idea about his innocence depends whether he is arguing he has taken it but isn't guilty because he wasn't playing or whether he is saying that he hasnt taken it at all. From what Santoro said I would imagine he is saying he didn't knowing take anything.

Pardon my ignorance, but how could you not know you were taking cocaine?

*Martolina*
05-10-2009, 09:42 PM
"Prove my innocence"

Richard Gasquet has admitted to being found positive to cocaine at a doping control. In a communique, the French made it clear that the counter confirmed the results of the first, but despite everything it professes innocence

Richard Gasquet was positive to a doping control carried out last March during the 1000 Miami Masters. The news, first as output indiscretion by the French media, was confirmed by the same player, which, however, denied ever having used banned substances.

Gasquet admitted that the analysis of the end of March have given a positive result for cocaine, but it professes innocence. "The examination of sample B taken at the end of March 2009 - Gasquet writes in a press release - has confirmed the first analysis." The player was then subjected to an analysis of hair, however, states, "has found no trace of drugs. I'm bringing the evidence of my innocence - continues the 22 year olds, currently No. 23 of the ATP ranking - and will talk about when 'the moment. "

Prior explanations of Gasquet, the French Federtennis had intervened on the issue by announcing that you want to wait for the outcome of the counter, but also stating that if the news "was confirmed in accordance with official procedures would be a sad story for Gasquet, for tennis in general and the French in particular. "

Eurosport

Schu
05-10-2009, 09:48 PM

Touche'

Schu
05-10-2009, 09:52 PM
[QUOTE=Schu;8551134]Given how he puts his foot in his mouth everytime he speaks during a controversay it's probably best to wait until his legal team has organized an arguement.

Well... he has to learn to speak in his own defence, find the courage to face up to his responsibilities.
I agree with reggie: the time is NOW!

I ABSOULTELY think HE should be the one to speak but this is not like the fiasco with DC or a withdrawal from RG this is an illegal drug with career ending consequences and one has to be VERY careful with what they say and when they say it. HE should speak when he has all the facts and legal information and not before.

Cin
05-10-2009, 09:57 PM

when he said he wants to prove his innocence, it means that he took it, but not for competition,IMO.it's drugs but not doping.

from the info of 20 munute, Richard went to a party in Miami with a DJ or singer, Sinclar or Sinclair.Fabrice said Richard didnt know anything about that night. so maybe he was drunk and took it on the party. so it's not doping.

but obviously, they dont care about where and how you used it. Richard failed the test is the truth.
sb said ITF treats the players as in competition according the acceptance list. so the withdrew situation can not change anything.so Richard still can be banned.

but I give my hope on his team. maybe great lawyers and a good communication team can get him through this.still have the chance to defend.

God bless Richard!

Eliande
05-10-2009, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=Eliande;8551247]

I ABSOULTELY think HE should be the one to speak but this is not like the fiasco with DC or a withdrawal from RG this is an illegal drug with career ending consequences and one has to be VERY careful with what they say and when they say it. HE should speak when he has all the facts and legal information and not before.

True. But I assume he would be able to carefully prepare himself, before stating anything personally. But he has to do it, also because this is a very serious situation concerning his career. He's the one who has to defend his own career, if he really cares about it, that is.

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but how could you not know you were taking cocaine?

Pure speculation here

He gets really pissed off about being injured and goes out on a massive drinking binge when he wakes up the next morning or afternoon he has no memory of the night before and feel really rough so chalks it down to the booze. He gets tested a day after this.

Scenario B his drink gets spiked and he is too embarrassed about it to tell anyone.

Scenario C He gets really drunk and knows the next day from how he feels that he has ingested something but doesnt know if he has taken it or someone has given him it and thinks that because he has quit the tournament he won't get tested.

Scenario D A mix up with any pain meds he has been taking for his shoulder. He might not realise because cocaine can actually be used for pain relief though someone in his team would have to be super incompetent for that to happen.

*Martolina*
05-10-2009, 10:03 PM
He must speak when it's time, when the moment comes he will be conscious and talking. I know which is difficult to wait, even for me is difficult but we must stay close with the thought of him and not leave it alone. If he is truly innocent, I am sure that this story will end well, he certainly will not have two years of disqualification, but maybe he will stay a few months without playing. At least in all of this is a good thing: if the end he had to be guilty and having used cocaine, after this story I am sure that he will not use more of these horrible substances, he will stay more careful during his evenings at the disco.

Gretchen.
05-10-2009, 10:06 PM
If he does keep on playing just imagine how the French crowd will be with him :scared: cause they can get hella against you if you take drugs and you're an athlete....ugh we just did not need this to happen at all:sad:

Eliande
05-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Pure speculation here

He gets really pissed off about being injured and goes out on a massive drinking binge when he wakes up the next morning or afternoon he has no memory of the night before and feel really rough so chalks it down to the booze. He gets tested a day after this.

Scenario B his drink gets spiked and he is too embarrassed about it to tell anyone.

Scenario C He gets really drunk and knows the next day from how he feels that he has ingested something but doesnt know if he has taken it or someone has given him it and thinks that because he has quit the tournament he won't get tested.

Scenario D A mix up with any pain meds he has been taking for his shoulder. He might not realise because cocaine can actually be used for pain relief though someone in his team would have to be super incompetent for that to happen.

Thank you! That explains a lot.

Eliande
05-10-2009, 10:08 PM
He must speak when it's time, when the moment comes he will be conscious and talking. I know which is difficult to wait, even for me is difficult but we must stay close with the thought of him and not leave it alone. If he is truly innocent, I am sure that this story will end well, he certainly will not have two years of disqualification, but maybe he will stay a few months without playing. At least in all of this is a good thing: if the end he had to be guilty and having used cocaine, after this story I am sure that he will not use more of these horrible substances, he will stay more careful during his evenings at the disco.

Let's hope so, for his own sake.

reggie1
05-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Tori, I like your scenarios a lot better than the really obvious one! I really hope he didn't take it deliberately as it has so many implications, i.e he must be in a right state and god only knows how he must have felt about his career. Somebody who is hell bent on winning matches and believes that they are capable of great things on a tennis court would not take drugs.

*Martolina*
05-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Even after his disqualification he will remain my myth, my treasure..I'm against the use of drugs but if he took cocaine is right that he is punished!! But it's not right, if he is innocent, he should be punished..!!

Cin
05-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Camille Pin said that he pays too much for this big mistake. this is really a stupid one.
TBH, I respect his lifestyle. but as a player, maybe he should juge himself, stop clubbing and less serve_it_up, pls!!!

Eliande
05-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Tori, I like your scenarios a lot better than the really obvious one! I really hope he didn't take it deliberately as it has so many implications, i.e he must be in a right state and god only knows how he must have felt about his career. Somebody who is hell bent on winning matches and believes that they are capable of great things on a tennis court would not take drugs.

So, is it quite common for someone who deliberately takes drugs (even if it's only once or twice) to deny that they intended to take them? In other words, would Richard be lying about not voluntarily taking the cocaine? In this case, his problem would be much more serious, I suppose.

Puschkin
05-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Fabrice said Richard didnt know anything about that night.
Where did you get that from?

From all we know so far (and it is not much), it will be a case with a lot of room for interpretation. Legal texts even if they seem crystal-clear, always do that. Was he tested before or after he withdrew? Information about that is unclear so far.

......l'organisme de Richard Gasquet contenait bien de la cocaïne lorsqu'il a été contrôlé le 28 mars à Miami, au lendemain d'une soirée passée en partie au Winter Music Conference, réunion des meilleurs DJ's de musique électronique du monde. Le lendemain, il déclarait forfait pour le Masters 1000 de Miami en raison de douleurs à l'épaule, avant d'être contrôlé dans la foulée.

Source: http://www.sports.fr/cmc/tennis/200919/gasquet-confirme-_226241.html

Translation: The organism of RG did contain cocaine when he was controlled on 28 March in Miami following an evening spent partly at the Winter Music conference..... The next day, he pulled out for the Masters of Miami becsue of shoulder pain, before being controlled immediataly thereafter.

But there were also indiacations in the other direction, though I can't find the quote right now. So many questions remain: Will it be considered as in competition or not? Will he try to argue and can he convince people that he did not take it deliberately? And most important when will the case be decided?

Cin
05-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Il reste entre autres à confirmer si la Fédération internationale considère bien qu'à partir du moment où le joueur est inscrit à un tournoi, son forfait ne change rien au fait que le contrôle a été effectué en compétition.-Lequipe

so who can explain the in and out of competition pls?

Cloudygirl
05-10-2009, 10:39 PM
so who can explain the in and out of competition pls?

basically some drugs are banned 24/7 but some drugs like cocaine are only banned in competition.

In competition appears to apply from 0.01 of the first day of a competition. So I think this was friday in Miami. We didn't hear Richie had withdrawn until the saturday but he could have withdrawn on the friday. If so if it was before the deadline he wouldn't be in competition. The rules I think state that if a player is in competition they have to submit themselves if requested for drug testing at the time of withdrawal. I can't see anything though to say what happens if no screening is requested at that time but requested later. Presumably if he was tested say on the sunday, he had withdrawn and was no longer in competition. I'm sure if you lose you aren't still counted as being in competition days later, so thats where the ambiguity lies.

If he withdrew, went out and partied and then got tested is he in competition or not. I'm sure that is what the lawyers will be arguing.

Schu
05-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Here's my scenario: his shoulder was still hurting and he knew he was going to pull out or maybe did pull out, and so pissed at his recurring injuries and knowing he wasn't going to play he goes out to party and forget things. He has a few drinks or maybe more than a few, and unknowingly ingests some coke. Since he was drunk he didn't feel the effects of the cocaine that night or the next day or thought it was just alcohol. I understand that occassional coke users might not feel a dramatic effect from coke at first. Anyway he withdraws the next day or maybe withdrew before the party and was asked for a urine sample after Saturday night and the rest is history...

One can hope...but even under this scenario he's still likely to get a ban (cuz who really would believe it) and he's got a stigma over him that will not soon go away.

Cin
05-10-2009, 10:56 PM
basically some drugs are banned 24/7 but some drugs like cocaine are only banned in competition.

In competition appears to apply from 0.01 of the first day of a competition. So I think this was friday in Miami. We didn't hear Richie had withdrawn until the saturday but he could have withdrawn on the friday. If so if it was before the deadline he wouldn't be in competition. The rules I think state that if a player is in competition they have to submit themselves if requested for drug testing at the time of withdrawal. I can't see anything though to say what happens if no screening is requested at that time but requested later. Presumably if he was tested say on the sunday, he had withdrawn and was no longer in competition. I'm sure if you lose you aren't still counted as being in competition days later, so thats where the ambiguity lies.

If he withdrew, went out and partied and then got tested is he in competition or not. I'm sure that is what the lawyers will be arguing.
tkx

Gretchen.
05-10-2009, 11:11 PM
I think Roger really summed it up nicely!

Roger Federer: "I hope that it is not true, but I think that one shouldn't say anything until Richard explains himself. Until the time he gives his version, it is hard to explain or to give an opinion. I'll wait for that."

Dini
05-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Where did Roger say that Jen? :sobbing:

Cin
05-10-2009, 11:14 PM
on the press conference in Madrid

Gretchen.
05-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Yeah it's from his press conference today in Madrid....but I don't have a link to his whole conference...so far he is the only non-french player to have spoken out on it.

Dini
05-10-2009, 11:28 PM
OK thanks Cin and Jen. :hug:

When will this nightmare end? I just want to find out the implications now, I hate this waiting game. It cannot be good for him.

Gretchen.
05-10-2009, 11:44 PM
I'm just really scared at the sound of '2 years' :scared: I mean 3 months I can deal with, and yes he will miss RG and Wimby but he will have time for those injuries to heal and he can get his head together and hopefully come back stronger and not weaker.

Dini
05-10-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm just really scared at the sound of '2 years' :scared: I mean 3 months I can deal with, and yes he will miss RG and Wimby but he will have time for those injuries to heal and he can get his head together and hopefully come back stronger and not weaker.

Yeah if it is two years HE HAS TO APPEAL. I'm sure his fellow players on the tour will speak out about that if it is indeed that long. It's just too severe of a punishment in my opinion.

Schu
05-11-2009, 03:47 AM
THis is nuts! I'm on the stairmaster at the gym and I turn on the TV to CNN and what is the first thing that flashes across the bottom of the screen on the news updates "Tennis ace Gasquet admits to failed drug test". It's even on CNN in the US! They probably didn't even know who he was until this - what a way to make a name.

This waiting game must be absolute torture for him.

~*BGT*~
05-11-2009, 04:14 AM
It's on the front page of Yahoo Sports :sobbing:

Cloudygirl
05-11-2009, 07:50 AM
This is so so sad. I've known Rich personally for a number of years... I just never thought something like this would happen to him..
if you do know him personally let him know that people are supporting him whatever happens. He must be feeling like shit right now :(

Puschkin
05-11-2009, 07:54 AM
I did a bit of research on Martina Hingis. She was found positive in Wimbledon, the news came only out in November, she retired immediately and was banned in January therafter. She did not appeal.

krn81
05-11-2009, 08:43 AM
In RTL L Equipe (the radio) they will speak about his case at 10.00 today.
For people who speak French, here is the link http://radio.rtl-lequipe.fr/player.html
They already talked a bit about him and specially clarify this story of when was done.
The test was done after his withdraw but the withdraw was done after the beginning of the tournament so the test is considered as in competition. His lawyers will try to play with his withdraw and to have a "lighter" ban.
They also said that all the French players refused to make a commentary. Only Alize Cornet talked to say that she supports him. And Leconte also talked and it is the same that what he said yesterday.

Additional news, he knows since at least 10 days, he received a letter to mention the positive test.
http://www.20minutes.fr/article/325213/Sport-Richard-Gasquet-risque-bien-deux-ans-de-suspension.php

but-it's-ok
05-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Thanks for all the info you've all provided over the past 24 hours,it cant have been easy for any of you to post,big:hug::hug::hug:to everyone.

I'm feeling empty and devastated for Richard..I hope things become a bit clearer today so that it becomes easier for his lawyers to present a good case for him when the time comes. Sorry I haven't commented much,I don't want to make any kind of judgement - just want you guys to know that I will stand by him whatever happens - even if I'm finding it very difficult to post right now;)

Meanwhile I hope everyone close to Richard will remain that way to actively support him through the very difficult period that lies ahead. I feel for anyone who is close to him right now,its going to be hard for them..but I hope they'll stand by him..and help him see a way out of this darkness.

Richie:hug::hug: Feel for you:awww:

Tess Gray
05-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Karine I'm listening, but damn he speaks FAST :lol:

tufani
05-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks a lot, Karine!

So now we know that he will be banned for sure (yeah, I still hoped that he wouldn't), it's now a question of a term of the ban?

Venle
05-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Hello everyone :hug:

I can't even express how shocked and sad I am. I spent the whole yesterday thinking "it can't be true, no, it's not him." But apparently it is true. I don't yet know what to do or think about this. If he gets banned, I hope it's only that three months...

Hug :hug:

Tess Gray
05-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Yeah pretty much Olga. Please don't ban him 2 years :sobbing:

I'm soooo curious to hear what Richard has to say about this.

krn81
05-11-2009, 09:30 AM
So they did not say more than we already knew.
The hair test was done the 7th of May by a laboratory in Strasbourg. And they were also speaking about his personality a bit, that he had to face lot of things, and try to avoid playing in France since few months with some strange woithdraws. About the time, it is what I wrote few comments before, his test is considered as in competition.
After it looks like the amount of cocaine in his blood is big so it could be more difficult to justify himself to get lower ban. I am a drug expert, so i have no idea what 1,46mg really represent.
They also said that if he had 3 months, it is not so bad, he can have rest, if it is 2 years it is almost the end of his career.
But they did not say when the suspension will be given by itf.
About players, they mentioned that Arnaud clement refused to answer questions and it is the smae for others players.
Dominguez also talked (nothing new) and mentioned that they did not got any official notification and so far, they are supporting Richard (well between lines, he almost says since we dont know we support him, after maybe it could change).
and to finish they said that the gestion of Lagardere (that is a big group of communication) is not so good so far.
Probably Thursday in Carremnt Tennis they will talked more.

And yes, Tess they were speaking a bit fast ;)

Venle
05-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Merci beaucoup, Karine :hug:

I didn't catch the interview, but I wouldn't have understood much anyway. :)

Tess Gray
05-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Wow, I'm surprised that I pretty much understood everything you just posted. :lol: So nothing new indeed. Pretty much what we also knew and thought. And I agree that Lagardere should communicate better, come forth with a statement. But maybe it will come later today.:) Hopefully. Thanks for the translation karine.

but-it's-ok
05-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks Karine;)

krn81
05-11-2009, 10:46 AM
According to Le parien, ITF will ban him temporary (before the definitive decision) until the 12nd of July, so no RG and no Wimbledon.
http://www.welovetennis.fr/richard-gasquet/11680-l-itf-le-sanctionnerait-jusqu-au-12-juillet

Davodus
05-11-2009, 10:51 AM
:fiery:

this situation is making me angrier and angrier by the minute

why couldn't it be someone else? like stepanek?

case
05-11-2009, 10:58 AM
According to Le parien, ITF will ban him temporary (before the definitive decision) until the 12nd of July, so no RG and no Wimbledon.
http://www.welovetennis.fr/richard-gasquet/11680-l-itf-le-sanctionnerait-jusqu-au-12-juillet\\

thanks for info. if that holds i would still fight it if i was gasquet. it cant hurt

i still dont see how banning a player for recreational drugs helps the player or helps the sport. it just comes off as petty and vendictive. the atp saying we're tough, we're righteous and it is all phoney

case
05-11-2009, 10:59 AM
:fiery:

this situation is making me angrier and angrier by the minute

why couldn't it be someone else? like stepanek?

:haha: i cant stand step either!

tufani
05-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks for all the updates, Karine!

I guess he was not going to play until this whole story is solved anyway. Does this mean that if he gets a three-month ban, it will end on July 12th?

Puschkin
05-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Source: http://www.welovetennis.fr/richard-gasquet/11680-l-itf-le-sanctionnerait-jusqu-au-12-juillet
Richard Gasquet L'ITF le sanctionnerait jusqu'au 12 Juillet !Par Laurent Trupiano, lundi 11 mai 2009 à 11:23

Selon le Parisien, la Fédération Internationale (ITF) aurait décidé de suspendre Gasquet à titre provisoire jusqu’au 12 juillet. Ce qui implique que Richard ne sera ni à Roland Garros ni à Wimbledon.

I am very doubtful of the source, but they claim that the ITF had decided to ban him till 12 July, provisionally whatever this means.

reggie1
05-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Why have they decided to ban him until he has had a chance to get a case together and defend himself? This seems very harsh when I have read that other players have not been banned until at least a few months after they have failed a test and their case has been heard? They've made their mind up before he has had the chance to put his side of the story. Yes, I know the drug was in his system but he had withdrawn from the competition and the type of drug he took would not have helped him in any shape or form on a tennis court. It seems very Draconian to me.
As for RG, it's probably a blessing tbh as how could he have played there after this? He'd most likely be torn apart. But to miss Wimbledon is a real blow. The British public wouldn't have given him a hard time as he is really liked over here by English tennis fans.
I wonder if his drink was spiked and Francis really believes this? There does come a time as a parent, where the scales need to fall from your eyes and I wonder if this is really helping Richard, him speaking out like this. I have sympathy for Richard, however the coke got into his system. If he took it voluntarily, he must have been in a bad place and if somebody spiked his drink, then it's not his fault. However, this whole situation may give and should give Richard a wake up call about partying (the amount of articles I've read lately where he has been labelled a party animal have been adding up) and putting himself in vulnerable situations where he is either lead into temptation or people are able to take advantage of him. I think either way, it shows that he has been unhappy. It's like he has this need to prove himself or bury his troubles in a blur of partying. As Schu said, this is when we really will see what he is made of and I sincerely hope that he does not hide behind Francis and that Francis allows his son to deal with this issue himself.
Peter Fleming has been talking on Sky Sports almost in support of Richard, saying that he hates the drug testing and that Cocaine is not performance enhancing so why ban him for it? I think the ITF has to be seen to do something as Cocaine is an illegal substance so they can hardly turn a blind eye to it but please God, not a two year ban. That will be his career over imho and I know none of us could bear that.

Puschkin
05-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Why have they decided to ban him until he has had a chance to get a case together and defend himself?

They are using conditionals in this text, so it is all speculation.

It would be really weird to ban him now and only decide in July on further measures. That would mean two months of plain tourture for him. They should come up with their decision quickly. I asked on GM about the timeframes for the procedure, but nobody seems to know an answer.

Eliande
05-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Why have they decided to ban him until he has had a chance to get a case together and defend himself? This seems very harsh when I have read that other players have not been banned until at least a few months after they have failed a test and their case has been heard? They've made their mind up before he has had the chance to put his side of the story. Yes, I know the drug was in his system but he had withdrawn from the competition and the type of drug he took would not have helped him in any shape or form on a tennis court. It seems very Draconian to me.
As for RG, it's probably a blessing tbh as how could he have played there after this? He'd most likely be torn apart. But to miss Wimbledon is a real blow. The British public wouldn't have given him a hard time as he is really liked over here by English tennis fans.
I wonder if his drink was spiked and Francis really believes this? There does come a time as a parent, where the scales need to fall from your eyes and I wonder if this is really helping Richard, him speaking out like this. I have sympathy for Richard, however the coke got into his system. If he took it voluntarily, he must have been in a bad place and if somebody spiked his drink, then it's not his fault. However, this whole situation may give and should give Richard a wake up call about partying (the amount of articles I've read lately where he has been labelled a party animal have been adding up) and putting himself in vulnerable situations where he is either lead into temptation or people are able to take advantage of him. I think either way, it shows that he has been unhappy. It's like he has this need to prove himself or bury his troubles in a blur of partying. As Schu said, this is when we really will see what he is made of and I sincerely hope that he does not hide behind Francis and that Francis allows his son to deal with this issue himself.
Peter Fleming has been talking on Sky Sports almost in support of Richard, saying that he hates the drug testing and that Cocaine is not performance enhancing so why ban him for it? I think the ITF has to be seen to do something as Cocaine is an illegal substance so they can hardly turn a blind eye to it but please God, not a two year ban. That will be his career over imho and I know none of us could bear that.

I think that in the end it would be better for him to just admit that he went to the party in question and tried cocaine, and apologize publicly for his stupid behaviour. He needs to take it like a man, not hide behind his dad or other people who speak for him and tend to make things worse. It was a mistake, as well as probably also a cry for help.
I also hope that he won't get a two year ban, which would be quite unfair, given the circumstances. But he needs help of some sort, and the people around him (all of them) don't seem to understanding this, or simply choose not to.

krn81
05-11-2009, 12:15 PM
The source is not sure, it is not written on the website of Le Parisien.
After the problem in this case is that this information popped up in the press and should not. It could be a reason why they will suspended him temporarly as the test is positive (to be confirmed).
In all previous cases, we heart few months later, here it is only few weeks later with quite some details (the number of cocaine found), I am not a lawyer but this could help him, the procedure of secrecy failed in his case.

krn81
05-11-2009, 12:19 PM
It would be really weird to ban him now and only decide in July on further measures. That would mean two months of plain tourture for him. They should come up with their decision quickly. I asked on GM about the timeframes for the procedure, but nobody seems to know an answer.

But he will need some time (days or weeks I dont know) to prepare his defense? It is why it is weird, in previous cases, the players could prepare their defense off line, here it is different.

reggie1
05-11-2009, 12:20 PM
What has the reaction been on RG.net Margareta? is it quite supportive even though people don't condone him taking it if it was voluntarily? My French is not so good to be able to understand a lot of comments.

Puschkin
05-11-2009, 12:24 PM
I don#t know that player, but there was almost a year between the discovery and the judgement. That's unbelivable.

Source: http://www.itftennis.com/antidoping/news/pressrelease.asp?articleid=19847

Decision in the case of Courtney Nagle
London, England, 02 Apr 2009 - The International Tennis Federation announced that Courtney Nagle has been found to have committed a Doping Offence under Article C.1 of the 2008 Tennis Anti-Doping Programme (presence of a Prohibited Substance in player’s specimen).

Ms Nagle, a 26-year-old tennis player from the United States, provided a sample on 29 July 2008 at the Nordic Light event in Stockholm, Sweden, in which Canrenone was subsequently found to be present. Canrenone is a prohibited substance under WADA’s 2008 List of Prohibited Substances, and is therefore also prohibited under the 2008 Tennis Anti-Doping Programme.

The ITF found that Ms Nagle established how the Canrenone had entered her body and that there had been no intent to enhance her sporting performance. As Canrenone is classified as a “specified substance” under the 2009 Programme, Ms Nagle is entitled to a discretionary reduction from the standard two-year period of Ineligibility that would otherwise have applied under the lex mitior provision of the 2009 WADA Code.

The ITF confirmed the commission of a Doping Offence on 29 March and determined that Ms Nagle should be suspended from participation for a period of sixteen months, the start of which is back-dated to the date of sample collection, and thus ends on 28 November 2009, and that her results from the Nordic Light event should be disqualified, with resulting forfeiture of ranking points and prize money won at those events.

The decision with reasons is available below. Any party wishing to appeal the decision has
three weeks to do so from receipt of the written decision.

On the same site there is the Volandri-judgement which was much lighter.

krn81
05-11-2009, 12:36 PM
He is suspended!
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2009/20090511_133024_gasquet-suspendu-a-titre-provisoire.html

Contrôlé positif à la cocaïne en marge du tournoi de Miami, pour lequel il avait déclaré forfait, Richard Gasquet a été suspendu à titre provisoire par l'ITF, lundi. Cette sanction prend effet immédiatement, et sera en vigueur jusqu'à une audience devant la commission antidopage, dont la date reste à définir. Le Français risque jusqu'à deux ans de suspension.
he is suspended until the audience in front of the anti doping commission. The date is still not decided.

Dini
05-11-2009, 12:42 PM
:bigcry:

:sobbing:

Davodus
05-11-2009, 12:45 PM
:ras: probably better they start the suspension now
so if he gets 3 months he can be back sooner...

Naina
05-11-2009, 12:46 PM
:sad: :sobbing:
This is terrible but I dont think he would have been able to play well or anything with this hanging over him.

Puschkin
05-11-2009, 12:47 PM
What has the reaction been on RG.net Margareta? is it quite supportive even though people don't condone him taking it if it was voluntarily? My French is not so good to be able to understand a lot of comments.

The site collapsed on Saturday, due to so many people frequenting it, so some of the messages are lost. But as for now, the majority of the posts is encouraging and some people who never said something before speak out for the first time to demonstrate their support.

reggie1
05-11-2009, 01:03 PM
The site collapsed on Saturday, due to so many people frequenting it, so some of the messages are lost. But as for now, the majority of the posts is encouraging and some people who never said something before speak out for the first time to demonstrate their support.
Oh that's good, unfortunately, he will have the time on his hands to read it.
I wonder how long he will have to wait to get this hearing? My concern over this is that because we are talking about a Class A illegal drug, they will make even more of an example of him than if he had taken performance enhancing drugs.:rolleyes:

Davodus
05-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Oh that's good, unfortunately, he will have the time on his hands to read it.
I wonder how long he will have to wait to get this hearing? My concern over this is that because we are talking about a Class A illegal drug, they will make even more of an example of him than if he had taken performance enhancing drugs.:rolleyes:

i'm not sure about that
i just wrote a massive essay on drug use in sport (how typical!) but I think that, if they wanted to make an example of out illegal, recreational drugs, they would ban them in non-competition periods too
i think to show themself as strict they would give a harsher penalty had this been a specific performance enhancing drug

reggie1
05-11-2009, 01:16 PM
I hope so. Let's hope it's only the 3 months and preferably after Wimbledon. What hapens with his ranking whilst he is on a ban?

Davodus
05-11-2009, 01:19 PM
I hope so. Let's hope it's only the 3 months and preferably after Wimbledon. What hapens with his ranking whilst he is on a ban?

same as if he was out injured i guess

reggie1
05-11-2009, 01:25 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/itf-suspend-gasquet-after-positive-cocaine-test-1682838.html found this, the tribunal will be assembled within 60 days to hear the case. Can't they do it sooner? It seems unfair to suspend him until they know all of the facts.

*Martolina*
05-11-2009, 01:27 PM
now we must hope that the process is very soon, I hope he has good lawyers. We are waiting anxiously to see what happens.

reggie1
05-11-2009, 01:31 PM
When Francis said yesterday that the news was "out of the blue" (I think it was) did he mean that he only found out yesterday and that Richard had kept it to himself?

Keijan
05-11-2009, 02:22 PM
No, Vicky, he meant that Richie couldn't believe his eyes when he learnt he had been tested positive : "tombé des nues", in the sens as as Richie never took cocaine (that's what he says), it sounded crazy that he was tested positive. He didn't say anything about when he himself learnt it. Probably immediatly, as I can't see Richie hiding something like that from his parents. Francis is being very diplomatical there ; of course he's not going to say anything else.

By the way, the singer Sinclair is bringing suit (intenter un procès anyone?) in a lawcourse to the newspaper L'Equipe for muckracking (diffamation ? sorry, it seems I can't speak English today.) It seems he never was with Richie that particular night and was confused with Bob Sinclar, another French singer.

Grosse confusion autour du juré de Nouvelle Star... Sinclair s'est retrouvé ce week-end mêlé par erreur à l'affaire Richard Gasquet, qui agite le monde du tennis depuis trois jours. Le joueur français a été contrôlé positif à la cocaïne en mars dernier, à la suite d'une soirée en discothèque. L'Equipe écrivait dans son édition d'hier que Richard Gasquet se trouvait avec Sinclair, lors de la fameuse soirée du 27 mars à Miami, au cours de laquelle il absorbé cette substance.

Gros problème : le quotidien sportif a confondu Sinclair avec Bob Sinclar ! C'est bien le DJ, et non le chanteur, qui se trouvait ce soir-là au Set, un des célèbres clubs de South Beach Miami. Une erreur de patronyme pour laquelle L'Equipe présente ses excuses ce matin.

Mais Sinclair n'est pas content (et on le comprend) et a annoncé se réserver le droit d'attaquer au tribunal les organes de presse ayant relayé cette fausse information. Dans un communiqué, Sinclair met les points sur les i : "Il a été avancé que Sinclair aurait passé une soirée avec Monsieur Richard Gasquet, soirée à l'occasion de laquelle il aurait absorbé de la cocaïne alors qu'il ne connaît pas Monsieur Richard Gasquet et n'a donc jamais passé une quelconque soirée avec lui à Miami. Cette grave affirmation est mensongère (...) démontre une fois de plus le peu de sérieux des journalistes qui relatent et relayent n'importe quoi sans prendre la peine de vérifier leurs allégations ».

http://nouvelle-star.programme-tv.net/nouvelle-star-2009/news/5243-affaire-gasquet-confusion-sinclair-sinclar/

Sinclair :

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a349/Keijan/Keijan%203/259-sinclair-nouvelle-star-m6.jpg

Bob Sinclar : (with whom Richie was)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a349/Keijan/Keijan%203/pix_BobSinclar.jpg

reggie1
05-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Well the dark haired one looks a lot less clean cut than the the first one.So is it the DJ Richie was with? Is he a known drug taker? Is this why people keep mentioning him? Are people really surprised over this in France Marion? I know we've all joked about Richie being a party animal but I am really shocked that he would knowingly take Cocaine as indeed we all are.
Oh and thanks for clearing that up over Papa Gasquet :hug:

case
05-11-2009, 03:08 PM
i think it is garbage to ban a player until they can have the hearing i guess they can but it still stinks

people have to fly from all over the world? how stupid is that? dont they know about modern technology?
and why do they have to show up anyway. both sides can show up to a mediator and that should be that

Schu
05-11-2009, 03:32 PM
The longest 60 days of his life but I suppose he wouldn't be much good on the tennis court anyway so he has time to heal his injuries and sort out his head. Will the 60 dyas count as "timed served" for his eventual ban, which I feel he will almoast certainly get?

Wonder if we will hear from HIM, not Francis before then?

Keijan
05-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Sinclair (the blond guy) is definitely not the cocaine guy tbh, at least I don't think so. That's the kind of stuff he's doing :

Btw1ED2D1F0

It's quite bad but it's not a crime for now :lol:

Bob Sinclar, being a world wide famous DJ is a bit different, same kind as David Guetta if you heard of him, but really I don't know anything about it and I don't want to speak without knowing :shrug: he does have a wife so.... he's "rangé" as we say

_pKXcDrmjFk

There you go for info about him : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Sinclar
I never heard of him as a drug taker, but, well, it wouldn't surprise me in this environment.

People keep mentionning him because Richie was at his party, so Sinclar was the DJ, but it doesn't mean that he gave him the cocaine (far from likely actually since he was probably DJing all night, and moreover I never heard of him and Richie even knowing each other, even less being friends) or that Richie got the cocaine there -maybe he went to another party afterwards, or it happened later in the night. We're not even sure it happened that day :shrug:

Well the dark haired one looks a lot less clean cut than the the first one.So is it the DJ Richie was with? Is he a known drug taker? Is this why people keep mentioning him? Are people really surprised over this in France Marion? I know we've all joked about Richie being a party animal but I am really shocked that he would knowingly take Cocaine as indeed we all are.
Oh and thanks for clearing that up over Papa Gasquet :hug:

Well the news are making frontpage in every possible newspaper you can think about. I talked with a few people, and the same comments always come back : "it was obvious he wasn't happy", "it had to happen at some point, that's how a normal guy reacts to too much pressure"; "an immature kid with so much money, what did you expect". Richie was never seen in France as anything else than an immature kid who happened to have a golden arm and was asked to live the dreams of the people around him, if that makes sense. :sad:

I'd say people are shocked but a lot less than if it had been Jo for example, who is a total rock star here. A lot of people have given up on him long ago, especially since Jo/Gael/Gilles came up to show Richard wasn't alone as a top frenchman.

tennis lover
05-11-2009, 03:53 PM
I can't believe they've suspended him before the hearing. :awww: I hope these two months are included in whatever suspension he gets as a result of the hearing. :shrug:

I hope he lets his shoulder recover properly and then gets to the gym and on the practice court and works his ass off so that when he comes back he's in better shape than ever. :)

reggie1
05-11-2009, 04:04 PM
I just feel really depresed that there will now be no Eastbourne, no Queens and no Wimbly. They've banned him during his best part of the season. The timing of this is awful :sad:
Oh and thanks again Marion xx

Davodus
05-11-2009, 04:08 PM
maybe this ban means they are just planning to give him a light suspension, and this will be the most of it :angel:

im trying to be optimistic :o

Gretchen.
05-11-2009, 04:10 PM
:sobbing: This is horrible, and now no Wimby :sad:

It's everywhere, every single news website......

Puschkin
05-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Wonder if we will hear from HIM, not Francis before then?
I really hope so. Francis defense is humanly understandable, but I wonder if it will do Richard good.

reggie1
05-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Somebody posted on GM that Hingis had 42 ng per ml in her sample whereas Richard's was 1.46! And look how harsh they were with her. They are also saying that if he was so drunk that he did not realise his drink was spiked, with that level of Cocaine plus the anti inflammatories, he would have had to have been hospitalised. They are also saying that his drink would have tasted really awful and he would have known. I know so little about drugs. Somebody said that the Miami party scene is crazy and there are plenty of people who would spike your drink but I can't help think that he should have realised if he wasn't so drunk and if he was really drunk, then that mixed with Cocaine would have meant him being really ill. I'm now thinking he is resting his case on a rather flimsy defense :sad:

*Martolina*
05-11-2009, 04:39 PM
what is happening is very bad =(
I'm very curious to see the evidence that he will bring with him to tribunal.
I think that this year he has already finished, now we can hope to see him next year.
For me this situation is very bad, my little champion is accused by all =( it's something to very sad, I don't want that this disqualify can pick up him from the tennis..too young, too good!!

Gretchen.
05-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Whatever really did happen and if he really did take it or it was by accident he shouldn't be banned for two years, that is just waaaay too much.:sad:And like everybody is saying it's not like the cocaine helped him perform better and when he had it in his system he didn't even participate in the tourney.So hopefully this suspension is part of his ban.But yeah it is kind of weird that he would have that much in his system and not know about it :scratch:

reggie1
05-11-2009, 04:45 PM
I'm sorry if my last post seemed full of doom and gloom but these are the qustions he will no doubt have to answer at the tribunal and he needs to be prepared.

krn81
05-11-2009, 04:46 PM
I also rode it, it is around 20 times more than what Hingis had!!!
We dont know his defense, maybe he took it intentionally and will say to them. He did not say clearly he did not take it intentionally, he just say he will prove his innocence, but what does it mean? Everyone (me also) think it was during this party but in fact we dont know if it is true!
In the meanwhile, it is better is saying nothing and prepare his defense.
but still weird for me is the silence from Lagardere, only some of the payers talked (PHM, Cornet, Llodra) but nothing official at least they could do the same than the fft: "so far we support him."

reggie1
05-11-2009, 05:05 PM
My worry is that if the tribunal think he is lying about taking it unintentionally they will be even harder on him. The way I take his statement about proving his innocence is that he means he didn't take it or didn't take it intentionally.

~*BGT*~
05-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Camille Pin said that he pays too much for this big mistake. this is really a stupid one.
TBH, I respect his lifestyle. but as a player, maybe he should juge himself, stop clubbing and less serve_it_up, pls!!!

Sorry, but that was funny. :haha:

http://www.welovetennis.fr/richard-gasquet/11680-l-itf-le-sanctionnerait-jusqu-au-12-juillet

No.... I can't see him at all this summer! :bigcry:

Eliande
05-11-2009, 05:06 PM
To me it looks more and more likely he took it intentionally.

Eliande
05-11-2009, 05:08 PM
My worry is that if the tribunal think he is lying about taking it unintentionally they will be even harder on him. The way I take his statement about proving his innocence is that he means he didn't take it or didn't take it intentionally.

But he can't say it didn't take it, because of the amount found in his urine samples, and to say it didn't take intentionally is starting to sound a little far fetched, unless there is plenty about this affair we don't know nothing about.

reggie1
05-11-2009, 05:15 PM
I just hope he doesn't lie about any of it because they will find him out :sad:

krn81
05-11-2009, 05:17 PM
he needs to say the true to them, and i agree with you reggie about consequences of lying.

Finally by looking for in internet i found an "anouncement" about team Lagardere.
http://www.lepoint.fr/actualites/2009-05-11/reactions-le-groupe-lagardere-n-exclut-pas-des-rebondissements/914/0/342283
He talked this weekend with Arnaud Lagardere that told him that he has the support from the group.
"Il faut se garder de toute conclusion hâtive et de jugements définitifs, car après de nombreux échanges avec Richard Gasquet lui-même dans les prochains jours, des rebondissements ne sont pas à exclure", a annoncé le porte-parole du groupe Lagardère. Richard Gasquet a prévu de s'exprimer bientôt avant qu'Arnaud Lagardère ne le fasse lui-même, a-t-on appris ce matin.
Free translation (my english is awfull these days): It is better not to go fast in conclusion and definitive judgements, because after several talks with Richard Gasquet itself in the next days, some new developments should not be excluded :shrug: Richard Gasquet will speak soon and afterwards Arnaud Lagardere too.

Well it looks we are not at the end of having surprises in this story.

Gasquetno.1
05-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Has anyone found the whole Federer interview on Gasquet yet, or was it just a short one? And also it would be interesting to hear what Peter Fleming said about him and how he defended him.

Gretchen.
05-11-2009, 05:25 PM
That's gonna be the toughest,speaking out on it....I seriously hope he isn't lying cause lying never helps and they will evetually find out and he could get an even longer ban :sad: Gosh this is just so depressing.

Keijan
05-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Jo speaking out, well more like not speaking out :

A propos de Richard, je n’ai pas envie de répondre à des questions. Ca dépasse le sport. Je suis très triste de ce qui se passe et j’espère que ça va bien se terminer pour lui.

I don't want to answer any questions about Richard. It's beyond sport. I'm very sad about the whole situation and I hope we will have a happy ending.

The director of RG confirmed Richie won't play there :
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2009/20090511_133024_gasquet-suspendu-a-titre-provisoire.html

Thanks Karine, it's good that Lagardère is supporting him imo. They're saying Richie gave them proofs of his honesty. I was wondering, is there any possibility that he could have taken some meds with a product close to cocaine inside, maybe mistaking them for his painkillers, or trying a new medicine for his shoulder ? Maybe that's what he calls "evidence" :shrug:

tennisfan444
05-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Hes young, under a ton of stress, and one of two things happened. He suffered a momentary lapse of judgement in the heat of a moment, or someone really got him bad.
Either way I a two year ban is INSANE.
I could understand if it was something to help his body, but not this. Steroids, hormones yes I think those are cheating and deserve long bans. But a recreational drug? No. 3 to 6 months max for a first offense in my op. Then if someone tests pos again increase it. What about mandatory rehab? That goes a lot longer to helping someone then a ban.
The majority of people in the civilized world have at least been at some time confronted with the choice to take an illegal drug. I doubt that more then a few of them are under the intense pressure he is.
Its only my op but it was a drug, he only did it once. He didn't attack someone, didn't hurt someone, it doesn't warrant a two year ban.

case
05-11-2009, 05:53 PM
this story is all over the front pages even in the us.
here is one that asks if gasquet was partying too much in Miami complete with pic (although it is an old pic) kind of an insulting article

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2009/05/was_this_french_tennis_player.php

richard is putting tennis in the news!!!!!! i know it's nutty.

in one i found they were saying that gasquet might still get two years???

sorry to keep obssessing about this. I know i am going to have to let it go...