It's not important how many times you fall, but how many times you stand up. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

It's not important how many times you fall, but how many times you stand up.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

*Ljubica*
10-30-2008, 08:21 PM
OK - well before my trip to Paris, some of us were discussing the (in)famous "Novak" thread, and how it was originally started by someone who was definitely not a Nole fan :tape: After many long discussions, we decided it might be nice to start a new one, where people with "wandering and confused minds" as Herdwick would call us, can get together and chat.

I'm not sure whether this new one will take off, - if not - no matter - but at least it was worth a try. So to Maja, Herdwick, and anyone else with a taste for the offbeat, a love for George Formby :tape: and a hatred for Herdwick's infamous "three S's" - please feel free to chat here.

I will change the thread name in time - just thought I would use this one at first, just so people knew what we had done. Finally, just wanted to say this is in no way meant to replace or "downgrade" the Forum Chat thread in any way - it is just a place for us posters with slightly different interests to get together and feel comfortable chatting.

~Maya~
04-08-2009, 01:44 AM
Current affairs:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=8395381&postcount=17

:sobbing:

We have to start a new thread every 5000 posts
Since I never started a thread in Nole forum, I decided to start "The in bed with Nole 2" :p

We had snow today :bigcry:. It made me hate going to work today :eek:, it is f******* April

Rose, I just realized that you are good to go to Serbia Open :bigclap:

My son and hubby coming this Friday and they are going to stay for 10 days :woohoo:

Running:Free
04-08-2009, 01:50 AM
We had snow today :bigcry:. It made me hate going to work today :eek:, it is f******* April

Me too, me too.

Rose at SrbOpen? :bigclap:

~Maya~
04-08-2009, 01:54 AM
You had snow too? Where do you live?
I wish I could go to SO, but cannot take any vacation until August :rolleyes:

Running:Free
04-08-2009, 02:01 AM
You had snow too? Where do you live?
I wish I could go to SO, but cannot take any vacation until August :rolleyes:

Toronto.

You should try the Rogers Cup then (It's in Montreal this year, right? :scratch:) Would be perfectly fit into the vacation time :p

~Maya~
04-08-2009, 02:11 AM
Toronto.

You should try the Rogers Cup then (It's in Montreal this year, right? :scratch:) Would be perfectly fit into the vacation time :p

I can try. I don't have US passport yet (being lazy and didn't file for citizenship), but I heard that I could obtain some special driver license that would enable me to go to Canada without any problems :D

kalisita
04-08-2009, 02:12 AM
We had snow today in Pa, too. A little odd for April, but it does happen. :shrug: It was so warm the last couple days, though. Return of the cold weather sucks. :sad:

~Maya~
04-08-2009, 02:22 AM
We had snow today in Pa, too. A little odd for April, but it does happen. :shrug: It was so warm the last couple days, though. Return of the cold weather sucks. :sad:

We had a few nice days too. It took me 10 minutes to scrape the ice from my car this morning, but I was pleased that the streets were not bad

Lee
04-08-2009, 03:52 AM
My son and hubby coming this Friday and they are going to stay for 10 days :woohoo:

Spring break? :woohoo:

Toronto.

And Nole will defend his title in MONTREAL ;)

I can try. I don't have US passport yet (being lazy and didn't file for citizenship), but I heard that I could obtain some special driver license that would enable me to go to Canada without any problems :D

Enhanced driver license only available in states of New York, Vermont and Washington

~Maya~
04-08-2009, 04:36 AM
Spring break? :woohoo:
Yes :woohoo:

And Nole will defend his title in MONTREAL ;)

:D

Enhanced driver license only available in states of New York, Vermont and Washington

I am in NY :woohoo:

Lee
04-08-2009, 04:43 AM
I am in NY :woohoo:

Good for you.

Last year I only need my permanent residence card to return by land. I don't know if the new rule effective as at June 1, 2009 will change this and I am looking for all kinds of information and so far, no clear one :rolleyes:

~Maya~
04-08-2009, 04:50 AM
Good for you.

Last year I only need my permanent residence card to return by land. I don't know if the new rule effective as at June 1, 2009 will change this and I am looking for all kinds of information and so far, no clear one :rolleyes:

I like how on the airport security website, they say, you don't need passport to fly if you are permanent resident. What about international flying? I could not find any info on their website. I will give them a call tomorrow. I have expired Bosnian passport. Bosnian embassy is a pain to deal with , btw :retard:

Lee
04-08-2009, 04:56 AM
OK, finally found the information that the new rule won't affect me. I can still use my permanent residence card for re-entry by land or air. :dance:

~Maya~
04-08-2009, 04:58 AM
OK, finally found the information that the new rule won't affect me. I can still use my permanent residence card for re-entry by land or air. :dance:

Does that work for anybody with a permenant green card?

Lee
04-08-2009, 05:03 AM
Does that work for anybody with a permenant green card?

I used my permenant green card returned to US from Hong Kong last year. Also previous trips from Canada, both by land and air.

Edit: :smash: myself for not reading this carefully in the beginning. Otherwise, I would not have to be worried. :p

WHTI will go into effect June 1, 2009 for land and sea travel into the U.S. WHTI went into effect for air travelers on January 23, 2007.

~Maya~
04-08-2009, 05:06 AM
The US gov web site can only publish what's the requirement for you re-enter US. So it depends on the entry requirement from Bosnian government.

No, I said that because I was trying to get a new passport because my old expired, and people who are there to help their citizens are very rude and their process for getting a new passport is retarded. The whole system is so behind the rest of the world

Lee
04-08-2009, 05:14 AM
No, I said that because I was trying to get a new passport because my old expired, and people who are there to help their citizens are very rude and their process for getting a new passport is retarded. The whole system is so behind the rest of the world

I deleted my post because I figured out what you said but it's a bit late :lol:

For my Canadian passport, mailing all the information back to Canada passport office is the only way. Unless I travelled back to Canada and managed to get a quick one thru passport office there.

Since there are so many important documents (including my existing passport) :tape: I have to use Fedex/UPS/etc and cost a fortune on top of the normal fee for a passport. My son's application was sent back last time because there's shadow of his ear :rolleyes:

And the passport only valid for 5 years. Since airline won't let you get on a plane if the passport will expire in 6 months, so basically, the passport is good for 4 1/2 years. :tape:

~Maya~
04-08-2009, 05:25 AM
:lol: Good to know about the shadow issue. I'll pay attention to that :lol:

I think it would be easier for me to apply for and receive American citizenship, then to get a passport from Bosnian embassy :tape:

~Maya~
04-08-2009, 05:26 AM
I gotta go to bed. :zzz:

Talk to you later :wavey:

Lee
04-08-2009, 05:32 AM
:lol: Good to know about the shadow issue. I'll pay attention to that :lol:

That's Canadian. They are picky. :lol: The reason for the shadow was my son had very short hair. If he had longer hair like me or hubby at that time, the black hair behind the ear would hide the shadow. :lol:

I think it would be easier for me to apply for and receive American citizenship, then to get a passport from Bosnian embassy :tape:

:tape:

Night :wavey:

*Ljubica*
04-08-2009, 06:58 AM
:wavey: Just stopped in on my way to work. Maja - thanks for starting this thread :) Haven't read the rest of the Board enough lately to see what's been happening, but I guess if all the big threads were slowing MTF down, then that's fair enough. At least we can keep the original "In bed" thread to read back and have a laugh about from time to time.

Yes I will be at Serbia Open - at least for the half of it - after Thursday I have to go and do the dutiful daughter-in-law/step-mother bit :rolleyes: and go to the country for a few days with Alex's daughter and the rest of his family. I'm actually supposed to be there the whole week - but I persuaded him to let me stay alone in Belgrade for a few days to attend the first days of the tennis :angel: Am also having just a couple of days in Rome the week before.

OK - I have to go - have a good day all :wavey:

Lee
04-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Raquel, I am cheering very hard for your countryman Gil. :bounce:

*Ljubica*
04-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Raquel, I am cheering very hard for your countryman Gil. :bounce:

:o I keep on forgetting there are tournaments on this week :o

Lee
04-08-2009, 03:53 PM
It's tough after a month of master 1000 tournaments, Rosie! :lol:

But Gil is fighting really hard so cheers for him.

*Ljubica*
04-08-2009, 03:58 PM
It's tough after a month of master 1000 tournaments, Rosie! :lol:

But Gil is fighting really hard so cheers for him.

Well good luck to him :) Is he in the famous CasaChallenger, or the other one that I never remember in The States? :o

Lee
04-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Not a challenger, Rosie. It's an ATP 250 event in Casablanca, the Grand Prix Hassan II. :p

He's playing Ljubo and the match is almost 3 hours now.

*Ljubica*
04-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Not a challenger, Rosie. It's an ATP 250 event in Casablanca, the Grand Prix Hassan II. :p

He's playing Ljubo and the match is almost 3 hours now.

I know it's not really a Challenger ;) It's just that GWH started calling it CasaChallenger a few years ago because the Entry List used to be pretty poor, - and the nickname kind of stuck with me. 3 hours :eek: I'm kind of glad I'm not watching - looking at Ljubo for 3 hours is not really my idea of fun!

ellen_
04-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Dear Frederico is doing well :yeah: Looks like a match which is worth watching. Wish I could :(

Lee
04-08-2009, 04:18 PM
It's on live stream.

Lee
04-08-2009, 04:20 PM
I know it's not really a Challenger ;) It's just that GWH started calling it CasaChallenger a few years ago because the Entry List used to be pretty poor, - and the nickname kind of stuck with me. 3 hours :eek: I'm kind of glad I'm not watching - looking at Ljubo for 3 hours is not really my idea of fun!

I am only looking a Gil :p

I don't know how many times the umpire has to come down his chair to check marks. I keep imagining if the umpire is Cedric Mourier :haha:

I like him but he really needs to trim down his tummy a bit

*Ljubica*
04-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Perhaps I should have watched it :unsure: But I have to go out now - it's time for me to go and pick up my Birthday Daddy and take him out for his dinner :) Probably won't be back here this evening, - but catch up with you all tomorrow I'm sure :kiss:

Lee
04-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Have a great evening with your Dad and Alex! :hug:

HB to Rosie's Dad again! :drink: ;)

Lee
04-08-2009, 04:26 PM
1 mp down, 1 more to go.

Vamos Gil!

Lee
04-08-2009, 04:27 PM
:bigclap: Gil 6-7 7-5 6-4

He's so happy that he behaves like he won a tournament :lol: And he has a special cheering squad there. A bunch of kids with yellow and green t-shirt.

*Ljubica*
04-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Have a great evening with your Dad and Alex! :hug:

HB to Rosie's Dad again! :drink: ;)

Thanks :hug: I'm sure if he had a clue about the Internet he would thank you himself - but he doesn't:o so I'll have to do it on his behalf :) Hope your Portuguese boy wins for you :kiss:

arm
04-08-2009, 07:02 PM
What? Gil is playing? :confused: How was he?

OMG, like Rose said, :rolls: Nole in no tournament, no tennis for Raquel. :o

arm
04-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Gil beat Ljubicic? :woohoo: :bounce:

Sorry, Ljubica, you must be sad :kiss: :nerner: :lol:

arm
04-08-2009, 07:13 PM
:bigclap: Gil 6-7 7-5 6-4

He's so happy that he behaves like he won a tournament :lol: And he has a special cheering squad there. A bunch of kids with yellow and green t-shirt.

:bounce: Looks like I am such a bad patriot. :tape: Had no idea he was doing so well, or he was even paying a tournament. :o

Lee
04-08-2009, 07:17 PM
tsk tsk Raquel

arm
04-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Lee :wavey: :hug:

:o, I must pay a bit more attention. :o

arm
04-08-2009, 07:33 PM
BTW, isn't this 5000 post thing a bit ridiculous? :rolls:

Lee
04-08-2009, 07:35 PM
:wavey:

Gil will play Montanes in QF. He really needs your support there :lol:

Lee
04-08-2009, 07:36 PM
BTW, isn't this 5000 post thing a bit ridiculous? :rolls:

Grrr. Don't start! I whined in another chat thread alerady.

arm
04-08-2009, 07:40 PM

Gil will play Montanes in QF. He really needs your support there :lol:

:rolls: :bounce: Vamos Gil! :D (Yes, the "vamos" is not only a Spanish word, it's portuguese as well. :p

Grrr. Don't start! I whined in another chat thread alerady.

Ok, ok. :bolt:

Herdwick
04-08-2009, 08:07 PM
:wavey: Evening Possums

Emotion subsided? Safe to return?

Barca going great guns :bounce:

arm
04-08-2009, 08:10 PM
:rolls: It's always safe here :shrug: :p

I don't like Barça. :nerner: I prefer Real Madrid

arm
04-08-2009, 08:12 PM
*goes and googles "possums"*

:o Herdwick, sometimes you forget English is not my mother tongue. :rolls:

arm
04-08-2009, 08:13 PM
:nerner: BTW, Herdwick, Portugal does rock... Your Manchester United.. :tape:

Lee
04-08-2009, 08:15 PM
:wavey: Herdwick

ellen_
04-08-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm trying to escape from football but you're talking about it here too :sobbing: It's so painful, CL without Real. Seeing Barça cruising and Liverpool losing doesn't really help either :rolleyes:

Herdwick
04-08-2009, 08:17 PM
One is no psychologist; one therefore refrains...:angel:

We reach our first point of real difference I think :nerner:

Barca are simply superior in every department; Beckham and Horse played for Real, Henry went to Barca, as did Messi. I rest my case...

arm
04-08-2009, 08:25 PM
One is no psychologist; one therefore refrains...:angel:

We reach our first point of real difference I think :nerner:

Barca are simply superior in every department; Beckham and Horse played for Real, Henry went to Barca, as did Messi. I rest my case...

:rolls: I could argue that, and you know it. But I'll let you win just this one time. :nerner:

Ellen :wavey: My football team was humiliated by Bayern and now they are being humiliated by Barça. So I feel double the humilliation. :rolls: I share your pain. :) :hug:

Herdwick
04-08-2009, 08:32 PM
*goes and googles "possums"*
:o Herdwick, sometimes you forget English is not my mother tongue. :rolls:

A mere term of endearment :angel:

:nerner: BTW, Herdwick, Portugal does rock... Your Manchester United.. :tape:

All Porto need is a 0-0 draw at home :kiss: We will be watching in Nice next week.:bounce: Scum die!

:wavey: Herdwick

:wavey: O voice of sanity

I'm trying to escape from football but you're talking about it here too :sobbing: It's so painful, CL without Real. Seeing Barça cruising and Liverpool losing doesn't really help either :rolleyes:

Don't begrudge us our enjoyment. But if it makes you feel better, Chelsea are wiinning at Anfield :explode:

Lee
04-08-2009, 08:34 PM
voice of sanity :bolt:

I need kalisita here so we can start talking about ice-hockey :rolls:

arm
04-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Lee, do you guys (I mean americans, eventhough you're not one) have any idea about football here in Europe? :bounce:

Herdwick, I know. I can't stand Porto. I always cheer for the opposite team, except when they are playing a foreign team. Which was and is the case. :kiss:

Herdwick
04-08-2009, 08:37 PM
You prefer than I deem you bonkers? :D

Lee
04-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Lee, do you guys (I mean americans, eventhough you're not one) have any idea about football here in Europe? :bounce:

It's better than before. And probably more within the Hispanic communities. The years I lived in Canada made me lost tracks of all footballs around the world.

You prefer than I deem you bonkers? :D

:unsure: No.

Herdwick

Herdwick, I know. I can't stand Porto. I always cheer for the opposite team, except when they are playing a foreign team. Which was and is the case. :kiss:

I retain a soft spot for Porto.:hug: And anyone who can potentially triumph against the Scum - foreign is just fine - is assured of my lifelong love. Suffice to say my dislike of the SB pales in comparison :explode:

ellen_
Don't begrudge us our enjoyment. But if it makes you feel better, Chelsea are wiinning at Anfield :explode:

Oh no, I wouldn't dare :tape: And no, it doesn't make me feel better actually :lol:

Lee
04-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Sorry to leave you ladies. Have to do grocery shopping before picking up my boy! :wavey:

Herdwick
04-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Oh no, I wouldn't dare :tape: And no, it doesn't make me feel better actually :lol:

:hug:JP asks your view on les Rouches?

arm
04-08-2009, 08:46 PM
It's better than before. And probably more within the Hispanic communities. The years I lived in Canada made me lost tracks of all footballs around the world.

:unsure: No.

:awww:

I retain a soft spot for Porto.:hug: And anyone who can potentially triumph against the Scum - foreign is just fine - is assured of my lifelong love. Suffice to say my dislike of the SB pales in comparison :explode:

You had to bring the SB to the conversation? :mad: :explode:

:rolls: You know, Porto is like Juventus here. :rolls: Do I make myself clear? :rolls: :secret: corruption

Herdwick
04-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Sorry - my only hate sprung from my only love perchance.:rolleyes:

Really - I didn't know that? It wasn't well publicised here...

arm
04-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Really - I didn't know that? It wasn't well publicised here...

Yes, for ages now. It's their president, Pinto da Costa. he has been there for ages. He is digusting, trully, the most incovenient and rude man in sports here. :spit: :explode:

the only difference is that here In Portugal, nobody is ever punished. :shrug: But he has been to court and all that bullsh*t but nothing really happened. :shrug:

Herdwick
04-08-2009, 08:54 PM
His wiki entry's been got at :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Nuno_Pinto_da_Costa

I will search further....

arm
04-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Did you read this part: "The "Apito Dourado" affair and other controversies"? :rolls:

Herdwick
04-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Did you read this part: "The "Apito Dourado" affair and other controversies"? :rolls:

Yep - 'As of April 3, 2009, Pinto da Costa was cleared of any allegations relating to bribery or any case dealing with Apito Dourado.' :angel: In summary; got at.

Right - as a result of a fairly social evening (my university closed for Easter after lunch so we decamped to the pub) I go to my bed.

We fly to Nice at the weekend - Nole; I give you due warning :devil:

Night all :wavey:

arm
04-08-2009, 09:07 PM
:rolls: Yes, you should warn him as soon as possible, so that he gets ready to welcome you. "Too bad JP is coming as well" Nole is thinking. :devil:

truebluefan
04-09-2009, 02:19 AM
The first thread was closed because it exceeded the recommended 5000 posts. Part two started.

VB message board does not handle large threads well.

savesthedizzle
04-09-2009, 03:46 AM
Hey guys, truebluefan started you a new thread I guess not noticing that you started a second one yourselves :smash:

So if you want, I can either merge the two together if you want Rose to still have the first post and title changing power, or I can just get rid of the TBF started one ;)

What a mess :tape:

Let me know :D

kalisita
04-09-2009, 04:32 AM
Looks like he/she erased all the posts in the original thread. Sucks. I thought all the big threads were just being closed, not erased. :sad: Well, hope it helps the site.

Lee
04-09-2009, 05:20 AM
Looks like he/she erased all the posts in the original thread. Sucks. I thought all the big threads were just being closed, not erased. :sad: Well, hope it helps the site.

They are not erased, just out of reach for normal citizens of MTF. :p And supposed to return in small threads.

*Ljubica*
04-09-2009, 05:49 AM
Football :help:

Oh my - I see what Jess means about the threads now :tape: TBF - I guess he's only trying to help :) I really don't mind what you do about merging the threads Jess - whatever suits you best :shrug: I guess the only advantage to having me as thread starter is that I'm online pretty much every day which is much more often than Maja, so I can change the thread titles far more easily - so I suppose it makes sense to merge them with me as thread starter for that reason :shrug: But I'll leave it to you Jess. And Maja - if this happens - I'm quite happy to give you some of my vCash I get from posts in the thread if you want, because I don't use vCash anyway.

OK - off to work - later :wavey:

arm
04-09-2009, 11:58 AM
What Rose said was exacty what I was thinking. The advantage of her being the starter is that everytime we have a wonderful idea like we had during Tssong-Nole's match she can change the title immediately. :shrug:

But Maja is the new starter so I guess it's totally up to her. :hug:

Good morning everyone :bounce:

arm
04-09-2009, 12:01 PM
I have an important question! :confused:

Our picture thread is about to reach 500o posts, when it does, will we stop being able to watch those wonderful :inlove: photos? :rolls: We can NOT let that happen. :eek: :fiery:

~Maya~
04-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Football :help:

Oh my - I see what Jess means about the threads now :tape: TBF - I guess he's only trying to help :) I really don't mind what you do about merging the threads Jess - whatever suits you best :shrug: I guess the only advantage to having me as thread starter is that I'm online pretty much every day which is much more often than Maja, so I can change the thread titles far more easily - so I suppose it makes sense to merge them with me as thread starter for that reason :shrug: But I'll leave it to you Jess. And Maja - if this happens - I'm quite happy to give you some of my vCash I get from posts in the thread if you want, because I don't use vCash anyway.

OK - off to work - later :wavey:

:lol: give me all your vCash Rose :armed:

I'm kidding :lol:. I was about to post this last night but was too tired.
Since the admin left your original post as OP, I don't mind if Jess merges the threads. I am not happy though, because they took the old thread away. It wasn't even that big, and we don't have as much traffic as some other threads. But this should not be that big of a deal, and something I should stress about. I have much more important things to sress about

~Maya~
04-09-2009, 12:20 PM

Our picture thread is about to reach 500o posts, when it does, will we stop being able to watch those wonderful :inlove: photos? :rolls: We can NOT let that happen. :eek: :fiery:

Jess can lock it before it reaches 5000 posts and start a new one. This way we can make sure it doesn't go away.

arm
04-09-2009, 01:01 PM
:lol: give me all your vCash Rose :armed:

I'm kidding :lol:. I was about to post this last night but was too tired.
Since the admin left your original post as OP, I don't mind if Jess merges the threads. I am not happy though, because they took the old thread away. It wasn't even that big, and we don't have as much traffic as some other threads. But this should not be that big of a deal, and something I should stress about. I have much more important things to sress about

I am not happy either. :sad: I mean it was our thread. :awww:

Jess can lock it before it reaches 5000 posts and start a new one. This way we can make sure it doesn't go away.

Thta's a good idea. :yeah:

How's life in NY today? :bounce: When does your family arrive? :)

Masha91
04-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Hello everybody!

That would be a good idea can't lose all those lovely Nole pics!

arm
04-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Hello everybody!

That would be a good idea can't lose all those lovely Nole pics!

:wavey: ;)

No, we can't. :mad: And we won't. :p

Masha91
04-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Thank goodness for that, so many good threads have been closed already!

savesthedizzle
04-09-2009, 01:44 PM

Thank goodness for that, so many good threads have been closed already!

That's an excellent idea guys :) I will do that :p

Masha91
04-09-2009, 01:47 PM
That's fantastic news!

savesthedizzle
04-09-2009, 02:00 PM
We're still a little way away...so it doesn't have to be done yet :)

Masha91
04-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Yes, but good to know we'll still have it when the time comes!

arm
04-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Great news, Jess. :bounce: Thanks :)

Masha91
04-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks heaps! :)

*Ljubica*
04-09-2009, 02:43 PM
OK guys:wavey: As long is everyone is happy, - Jess can you merge the two "In Bed" threads together with me as the thread starter, so that I can change the title whenever people want? Thanks in advance :hug:

Maja - I promise I will donate you some vcash as soon as I have a bit more time at the PC - hopefully later tonight. How about you start the Monte Carlo tread instead? :D

Good idea about the photo threads - I'd hate to lose them. Seems so sad to have lost our original thread though - despite starting a new one in good time. Il'l miss all the silly YouTube links ("Roses of Success" etc), and all the memories of things like winning Shanghai :sad: Guess everyone is suffering the same though - so no point stressing about it :shrug:

savesthedizzle
04-09-2009, 02:45 PM
OK guys:wavey: As long is everyone is happy, - Jess can you merge the two "In Bed" threads together with me as the thread starter, so that I can change the title whenever people want? Thanks in advance :hug:

Maja - I promise I will donate you some vcash as soon as I have a bit more time at the PC - hopefully later tonight.

Good idea about the photo threads - I'd hate to lose them.

I will get right on that.

*Ljubica*
04-09-2009, 02:48 PM
I will get right on that.

Thanks Jess :hug:

arm
04-09-2009, 03:05 PM

Maja - I promise I will donate you some vcash as soon as I have a bit more time at the PC - hopefully later tonight. How about you start the Monte Carlo tread instead? :D

Good idea about the photo threads - I'd hate to lose them. Seems so sad to have lost our original thread though - despite starting a new one in good time. Il'l miss all the silly YouTube links ("Roses of Success" etc), and all the memories of things like winning Shanghai :sad: Guess everyone is suffering the same though - so no point stressing about it :shrug:

:awww: I totally feel the same way. :( But hey, let's just do it all over again here. :bounce: :D

*Ljubica*
04-09-2009, 03:23 PM
:awww: I totally feel the same way. :( But hey, let's just do it all over again here. :bounce: :D

According to what I read somewhere, they plan to eventually put all our old threads back - once they've broken them down into small enough segments not to affect the servers :shrug: But whether that will ever happen or not remains to be seen. Certainly MTF still seems slow to load this afternoon - or is that just me?

arm
04-09-2009, 03:52 PM
According to what I read somewhere, they plan to eventually put all our old threads back - once they've broken them down into small enough segments not to affect the servers :shrug: But whether that will ever happen or not remains to be seen. Certainly MTF still seems slow to load this afternoon - or is that just me?

To be honest, since this 5000 post thing I haven't had a single problem with MTF, but I am sure it's probably a coincidence. :shrug:

How was work?

*Ljubica*
04-09-2009, 03:57 PM
To be honest, since this 5000 post thing I haven't had a single problem with MTF, but I am sure it's probably a coincidence. :shrug:

How was work?

Well it's true I haven't had any of what Karin calls the "DataBase Terrors" :devil: since they got rid of the big threads, so that's a huge improvement. Still seems to be running a bit slow though :shrug:

Work was OK thanks - bit quiet today, as many people chose to book the day off and go away on their Easter breaks early. So I just caught up with some admin, and paperwork and stuff. But now - 4 whole days off :woohoo: I can :zzz: and :zzz: and watch Monte Carlo on TV on Monday :bounce:

arm
04-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Well it's true I haven't had any of what Karin calls the "DataBase Terrors" :devil: since they got rid of the big threads, so that's a huge improvement. Still seems to be running a bit slow though :shrug:

Work was OK thanks - bit quiet today, as many people chose to book the day off and go away on their Easter breaks early. So I just caught up with some admin, and paperwork and stuff. But now - 4 whole days off :woohoo: I can :zzz: and :zzz: and watch Monte Carlo on TV on Monday :bounce:

:woohoo: Time to do absolutely nothing. :bounce:

School starts next tuesday. :(

*Ljubica*
04-09-2009, 04:13 PM
:woohoo: Time to do absolutely nothing. :bounce:

School starts next tuesday. :(

Why the :( ? I thought you were bored :p And as you know - absolutely nothing and sleeping are my two favourite things in the world to spend time doing :D Oh, and eating chocolate too of course :)

arm
04-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Why the :( ? I thought you were bored :p And as you know - absolutely nothing and sleeping are my two favourite things in the world to spend time doing :D Oh, and eating chocolate too of course :)

I'm bored, but I don't want school either. :shrug::awww:

I've been described as a "naturally unsatisfied person"... :shrug: And that has brought me a lot of problems in the past and will keep bringing me more. :shrug:

That list. :rolls: How about watching Nole play great tennis and take off his shirt after he finishes the match? :devil::p

*Ljubica*
04-09-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm bored, but I don't want school either. :shrug::awww:

I've been described as a "naturally unsatisfied person"... :shrug: And that has brought me a lot of problems in the past and will keep bringing me more. :shrug:

That list. :rolls: How about watching Nole play great tennis and take off his shirt after he finishes the match? :devil::p

:awww: Maybe I'm too easily satisfied? As long as I have food, drink, warmth, my :cat: , some tennis on the TV and my Internet connection - I am very easily pleased :o And - OK - yes - shirtless Nole will also bring me pleasure - and the occasional glimpse of Miljan in the stands ;) So how will you spend your Easter break?

arm
04-09-2009, 04:36 PM
:awww: Maybe I'm too easily satisfied? As long as I have food, drink, warmth, my :cat: , some tennis on the TV and my Internet connection - I am very easily pleased :o And - OK - yes - shirtless Nole will also bring me pleasure - and the occasional glimpse of Miljan in the stands ;) So how will you spend your Easter break?

:rolls: I have never been easily satisfied. I mean, it's kind of a paradox. I am an optimistic, no news for you :lol:, and almost always manage to be happy with what I have. But at the same time, I always want more and I keep on changing my mind. :shrug: I'm complicated, we all are. :p

Easter break, here in Coimbra, with mum, my sister Sofia, grandpas, uncle, aunt 1, aunt 2, 2 cousins and Nãna - who works for my grandpas but it's family as she has been living with them for more than 20 years, she is also like my second mum. :)

Nothing exting at all :shrug:

~Maya~
04-09-2009, 04:37 PM
I am not happy either. :sad: I mean it was our thread. :awww:

Thta's a good idea. :yeah:

How's life in NY today? :bounce: When does your family arrive? :)
Sorry, I am working so I had to go away.

Life is good. family arrives tomorow :D

I was joking abot the vCash Rose. :lol:.

You know how I feel starting tournament threads :scared:

*Ljubica*
04-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Sorry, I am working so I had to go away.

I was joking abot the vCash Rose. :lol:.

You know how I feel starting tournament threads :scared:

Maja :hug: Well - it's up to you - but I have a notoriously bad track record with tournament thread starting :o and your luck has yet to be tested :D So why not try? Guess we should have a thread before the draw, which, I believe is tomorrow or Saturday?

That's great :D

Easter break, here in Coimbra, with mum, my sister Sofia, grandpas, uncle, aunt 1, aunt 2, 2 cousins and Nãna - who works for my grandpas but it's family as she has been living with them for more than 20 years, she is also like my second mum. :)

Nothing exting at all :shrug:

Spending time with family sounds nice :) Enjoy :hug:

arm
04-09-2009, 06:41 PM
It should be fine, thanks. :D :bounce:

I don't like dinner, seafood rice, it's a traditional dinner here. But I don't like it so much. :(

*Ljubica*
04-09-2009, 07:11 PM
It should be fine, thanks. :D :bounce:

I don't like dinner, seafood rice, it's a traditional dinner here. But I don't like it so much. :(

Can't you just ask for pizza? :p :angel:

arm
04-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Can't you just ask for pizza? :p :angel:

Soup will work :lol: :shrug:

:secret: And chocolate. :p

*Ljubica*
04-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Soup will work :lol: :shrug:

:secret: And chocolate. :p

Easter eggs :hearts: I am expecting many and varied from the love of my life - he knows he'll be sleeping in the garage for a week if he doesn't please me with the selection :angel:

arm
04-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Easter eggs :hearts: I am expecting many and varied from the love of my life - he knows he'll be sleeping in the garage for a week if he doesn't please me with the selection :angel:

Nole will give you eater eggs? :mad: I want too! :rolls: I mean, he is the love of ours lives. :shrug:

*Ljubica*
04-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Nole will give you eater eggs? :mad: I want too! :rolls: I mean, he is the love of ours lives. :shrug:

:lol: Well I'm still waiting for one from Nole - guess he will give it to me at the Serbian Open, complete with my very expensive Birthday present........ well a girl can dream can't she?

arm
04-09-2009, 07:52 PM
:lol: Well I'm still waiting for one from Nole - guess he will give it to me at the Serbian Open, complete with my very expensive Birthday present........ well a girl can dream can't she?

Sure. :bounce: When is he giving me mine? :D

BTW, you're simley is this one :angel:

Are you sure mine is :bounce:?

*Ljubica*
04-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Sure. :bounce: When is he giving me mine? :D

BTW, you're simeley is this one :angel:

As expected :p After all, I am an :angel: so why not have my very own smiley? And youdo use :bounce: a lot! It kind of suits you.

As for Nole - best negotiate that with him, and find a convenient time. I'm sure he'd love a trip to Portugal one day soon :)

arm
04-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Oh no, you're not an angel at all :rolls:, you're just a :angel:. I think you know the difference. :rolls:

Well, I ahve a lot to show you here, Nole. When do you want to come? :devil::bounce:

arm
04-09-2009, 07:59 PM
He even won a tournament here :shrug:.

*Ljubica*
04-09-2009, 08:04 PM
He even won a tournament here :shrug:.

I remember - that was the year I was in Estoril :) And of course I am an :angel: in all it's various shapes and forms!

Anyway - I'm being nagged now so I have to go - these damned men always want so much attention :rolleyes: Talk to you soon I hope dear - and enjoy your time with your family tomorrow :hug:

arm
04-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Thank you, Rosie. :hug: You too. :D

Men really are needy. :shrug: Look at Nole. :awww: Oh but I could handle Nole's "needyness" (:rolls:) I so could. :devil:

kalisita
04-10-2009, 03:41 AM
Just wanted to stop in and see if someone wants to start the Monte Carlo thread since the draw comes out Saturday. I think I'm 0/2 in my last two tournament threads. :sad: Anyone feeling lucky? :aplot:

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 08:47 AM
:wavey: Morning

Thread duly started; resisted the temptation to call it 'Luck be a lady tonight'. I'll put my house on him landing in Rafa's half now Roger's decided to enter the fray though.

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 10:35 AM
:wavey: And Happy Easter to all who celebrate. Four days off work :woohoo:

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 11:06 AM
:sad: Sign of encroaching age and/or a wet Bank Holiday. I have just spent the last half hour browsing the Lakeland website

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/

and going 'Ooh - that's really useful - think I'll get one of those'.

I am clearly in need of Serbian diversions...

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 11:15 AM
:sad: Sign of encroaching age and/or a wet Bank Holiday. I have just spent the last half hour browsing the Lakeland website

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/

and going 'Ooh - that's really useful - think I'll get one of those'.

I am clearly in need of Serbian diversions...

:lol: There's no answer to that at all :tape: They do produce some nice stuff though :)

As for Serbian diversions - please feel free to borrow mine :p He's bored and it's :rain: and he's getting under my feet and irritating me whilst I'm trying to get all the housework done. Men :rolleyes:

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Definitely going for the 2-tier heated towel airer and the hinged chopping board...:woohoo:

JP - bless him - is cleaning the kitchen while I lounge in slothful indolence at the keyboard. He's thrilled that Roger's playing MC :awww:

I will make him some muffins by way of reward.

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Definitely going for the 2-tier heated towel airer and the hinged chopping board...:woohoo:

JP - bless him - is cleaning the kitchen while I lounge in slothful indolence at the keyboard. He's thrilled that Roger's playing MC :awww:

I will make him some muffins by way of reward.

JP is a veritable :angel: Alex wouldn't even know where the kitchen was - let alone clean it :spit: He would have mowed the lawn i think - he considers that more "mans' work" than kitchen cleaning, but the :rain: put a stop to that one. I'm glad JP's happy about Roger :) Will you go to the tennis every day, or just intersperse your trips with other stuff?

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Well he was also showing an interest in the silicone egg poachers - he's a poached egg fan - but I dissuaded him :rolls: He was due to do the lawn too but nature intervened. It will be wild by the time we get back :shrug: and the hedge has gone partying too.

We've got tickets for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday so we should get to see everyone we want :bounce: Plus we've got to fit in Arsenal's return leg in the CL so that means finding a bar with football (usually means Oirish I'm afraid). Am now browsing Nice restaurants :lick:

arm
04-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Lunch time :wavey:

I just woke up. :rolls: But that must be no news to you. :o

Be right back. :bounce: Draw? When? Herdwick starts thread? :bolt: How will he be able to concentrate? :scared:

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Well he was also showing an interest in the silicone egg poachers - he's a poached egg fan - but I dissuaded him :rolls: He was due to do the lawn too but nature intervened. It will be wild by the time we get back :shrug: and the hedge has gone partying too.

We've got tickets for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday so we should get to see everyone we want :bounce: Plus we've got to fit in Arsenal's return leg in the CL so that means finding a bar with football (usually means Oirish I'm afraid). Am now browsing Nice restaurants :lick:

Hope the weather is kind enough for you to see everyone you want :) Pity SB isn't playing there - I know you'll miss him dreadfully :o

Lunch time :wavey:

I just woke up. :rolls: But that must be no news to you. :o

Be right back. :bounce: Draw? When? Herdwick starts thread? :bolt: How will he be able to concentrate? :scared:

:wavey: How can you have just woken up? :eek: I've been awake for at least 5 hours - even on my day off. I may stay in bed and read and drink tea, and start the day lazily, but I really can't sleep in that much :o

Draw is tomorrow at 12.00pm, so not long to wait now.

arm
04-10-2009, 12:17 PM
The question is: how can't you sleep that long? :eek: It feels so good. :bounce: Since hollidays started I haven't woken up ealier than 12:30 :rolls: ;)

What are the plans for today?

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 12:21 PM
No SB :woohoo: you're right! Had just assumed he was entered - he must have got wind of my attendance and decided not to risk it :boxing: :haha:

:wavey: Raquel - 'tis truly only the young who sleep in so late. Good night was it?:lol:

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 12:21 PM
The question is: how can't you sleep that long? :eek: It feels so good. :bounce: Since hollidays started I haven't woken up ealier than 12:30 :rolls: ;)

What are the plans for today?

:lol: Well I guess it's because I can't stay up later than about 10.00pm-11.00pm, and you're probably awake a few hours after that - so it kind of balances out.

As to what I'm doing today - absolutely NOTHING :bounce: Have done loads of laundry this morning, and also cleaned the kitchen and bathroom :angel: so apart from a bit more housework, I will be totally lazy :zzz: It's :rain: and cold, so no inclination to go out, and most everything is shut today anyway:shrug: So just sleeping, eating, chatting on MTF - my idea of heaven! How about you?

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 12:23 PM
No SB :woohoo: you're right! Had just assumed he was entered - he must have got wind of my attendance and decided not to risk it :boxing: :haha:

:wavey: Raquel - 'tis truly only the young who sleep in so late. Good night was it?:lol:

You scared him :awww: :unsure: Sadly just saw that Gasquet has pulled out too - sorry - I know you would have liked to see him :sad:

arm
04-10-2009, 12:28 PM

Really? :woohoo: Though I would love to see him (NOT) fitting his game to clay. :devil:

Yes, pretty good night. And a good evening as well. :beer: Turns out my phone rang at 11:30pm and my friend told me: I am just ouside your building, come down and lets go for a drink. ;)

:lol: Well I guess it's because I can't stay up later than about 10.00pm-11.00pm, and you're probably awake a few hours after that - so it kind of balances out.

As to what I'm doing today - absolutely NOTHING :bounce: Have done loads of laundry this morning, and also cleaned the kitchen and bathroom :angel: so apart from a bit more housework, I will be totally lazy :zzz: It's :rain: and cold, so no inclination to go out, and most everything is shut today anyway:shrug: So just sleeping, eating, chatting on MTF - my idea of heaven! How about you?

Seems perfect for you. :hug: Well, I am keeping my laptop right next to me while I study a bit. Of course I am counting on you girls to keep me entertained during my study time. :rolls:

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Well I'm going offline for an hour or so now - but I will be back - you can count on it :D Later :wavey:

ellen_
04-10-2009, 12:34 PM

Is it raining for all of you? :scratch: It's 22° here and no cloud in sight! :bounce: And still I'm inside :o

I wish I could wake up a bit earlier too, though. It wasn't very late last night, around 2am, but sleeping until noon makes me so lazy :rolleyes:

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 12:36 PM
:bigcry: No Richie - poor lamb; he's still not 100% plus loathes playing in France so not really surprised.

Anyway, I saw the SB in Madrid, getting nicely schooled by Roger :devil:

:wavey: Chucking it down and forecast to do so for the rest of the day. Think you're due to get it later. So we shall make our own entertainment:

And by way of diversion...:rolls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_j22WD6Ahc

arm
04-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Well, it's not rainy here. But its cloudy. :(

Ellen, you should go out! And have fun. :bounce:

arm
04-10-2009, 12:40 PM
:bigcry: No Richie - poor lamb; he's still not 100% plus loathes playing in france so not really surprised.

Really? :lol:

Talking about Madrid. I don't kno what to do. The Madrid tournament is right after Queima das Fitas here in Coimbra, so I could book a very cheap flight and fly with João to Madrid. BUT, I refuse to ask my parents for money, it would have to be like my Barcelona trip, on me, and I would have to spen some of the money I saved for summer - interrail - and possibly compromise it. :awww: I don't know what to do. :shrug:

Firstly I thought about RG, but the dates are not convenient to me, and Madrid is a lot closer and cheaper.

I need to do some thinking, I guess. :shrug:

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Well Madrid's got women in it now - if that influences your decision:rolls:

Ellen - you have a tough away game tomorrow methinks :devil:

ellen_
04-10-2009, 12:46 PM
It's chucking it down? We ARE currently staying in the same country, aren't we Herdwick? :lol: I think I'll go jogging now... before your rain comes here.

Adios :wavey:

Herdwick, tell me about it :tape: And a long drive too :zzz:

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 12:50 PM
No dear. I'm not Belgian - I'm in the UK :lol:
My OH is the Belgian connection.

arm
04-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Well Madrid's got women in it now - if that influences your decision:rolls:

Ellen - you have a tough away game tomorrow methinks :devil:

:rolls: I did not know. :eek:

I need to decide until Monday, because the tickets are disappearing. They have a great system to buy tickets. :bounce:

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 01:48 PM
:bigcry: No Richie - poor lamb; he's still not 100% plus loathes playing in France so not really surprised.

:wavey: Chucking it down and forecast to do so for the rest of the day. Think you're due to get it later. So we shall make our own entertainment:

:D First silly YouTube clip for the new thread :worship:

Is it raining for all of you? :scratch: It's 22° here and no cloud in sight! :bounce: And still I'm inside :o

I wish I could wake up a bit earlier too, though. It wasn't very late last night, around 2am, but sleeping until noon makes me so lazy :rolleyes:

Ellen :wavey: No, just :rain: , :rain: and more :rain: here - a pretty typical British Bank Holiday! Thoug they say it will be nice by Sunday and Monday :)

:rolls: I did not know.

I need to decide until Monday, because the tickets are disappearing. They have a great system to buy tickets. :bounce:

I always loved my trip to the Madrid tourney in October - will really miss it :sad: I'm sure the new one will be equally well-organised and fun, but it just doesn't fit into my schedule in it's new time slot, because it's too close to RG and Serbia, and I can't take the annual leave for it :sad:

arm
04-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Well, I really can't wait to go to a tournament for the first time. :bounce: But when I do it, Nole has to be playing it and I need to be sure I will watch at least one of his matches. :D So I need to organize it very well.

Remember last year when Nole lost to Safin in Wimby's R2? Sure you remember :rolleyes:. My exams had just finished, I was the only person on hollidays because all of my friends still had a couple of exams to do, and I really wa splanning to fly to London even if it was just to go to Wimby for one day and spend the rest of the days sightseeing. But then Nole lost :mad:, and my plan was all ruined. :awww:

Madrid is a really good option for me. Really cheap flights, cheap accomodation and the dates fit my schedule. But it would still mean spending part of the money I saved for summer. :(

We'll see. :bounce:

I only wrote 3 pages and I am already sick of biochemistry. :rolleyes:

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 02:09 PM
'Carry on Doctor' :haha: and a wet British bank holiday.

Kenneth Williams, Frankie Howerd and Sid James :rolls:

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Well, I really can't wait to go to a tournament for the first time. :bounce: But when I do it, Nole has to be playing it and I need to be sure I will watch at least one of his matches. :D So I need to organize it very well.

Remember last year when Nole lost to Safin in Wimby's R2? Sure you remember :rolleyes:. My exams had just finished, I was the only person on hollidays because all of my friends still had a couple of exams to do, and I really wa splanning to fly to London even if it was just to go to Wimby for one day and spend the rest of the days sightseeing. But then Nole lost :mad:, and my plan was all ruined. :awww:

Madrid is a really good option for me. Really cheap flights, cheap accomodation and the dates fit my schedule. But it would still mean spending part of the money I saved for summer. :(

We'll see. :bounce:

I only wrote 3 pages and I am already sick of biochemestry. :rolleyes:

Trouble with planning tennis round just one person - the unexpected like illness and injury can always happen :sad: It's just a fact of life. And the only thing I would say about Madrid.......... is that I have this very sneaky feeling that Nole might pull out :o Of course it's on his Schedule, because they ALL have to commit to ALL the Masters' Series events, and I may be completely wrong...... but when they first put up his Schedule on his own website, they missed it out completely :shrug: And although it was put in later and it might just have been an oversight, I do think that if Nole does well in Rome and then gets to the latter stages of Belgrade, it would never surprise me to see him pull out of Madrid with "exhaustion or whatever so that he isn't too tired for RG.

'Carry on Doctor' :haha: and a wet British bank holiday.

Kenneth Williams, Frankie Howerd and Sid James :rolls:

Shouldn't "The Great Escape" or "Sound of Music" to on sometime too? Just to complete the scene.

ellen_
04-10-2009, 02:19 PM
No dear. I'm not Belgian - I'm in the UK :lol:
My OH is the Belgian connection.

I know you're not Belgian but I just thought you stayed here. Don't know where I got that from though :shrug: Maybe just because of your flag, I don't know :lol:

Oh lord, allergic rhinitis is killing me already :help: And I think my body temperature just raised with 10°C :tape: Send me some rain please!

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 02:21 PM
I know you're not Belgian but I just thought you stayed here. Don't know where I got that from though :shrug: Maybe just because of your flag, I don't know :lol:

Oh lord, allergic rhinitis is killing me already :help: And I think my body temperature just raised with 10°C :tape: Send me some rain please!

Herdwick is another Brit who uses her man's flag just to confuse MTF!!! :p

:hug: For the allergy - if I could send some of this vile :rain: over to you, I gladly would.

*Raine
04-10-2009, 02:24 PM
:wavey: Just popped in to say:

A blessed Good Friday to all of you.

I have no idea what it's like in your respective countries but during the holy week here from Holy Thursday up to Easter Sunday people have no work and classes.

Most Filipinos in the cities pack up and leave for the provinces during this time too. :)

Bye:wavey:

Side note: Thank you all for congratulating me in my graduation. If I have the time next week, I'll tell you all about it. :D

arm
04-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Rose and Herdwick are conspiring :shurg:, they really don't want me to go. :rolls:

Seriously, thanks for tha note, I really amd going to take that in consideration, going to Madrid and Nole not being there AT ALL, would be a complete waste of money for me at this stage.

I mean, I am not only going to watch Nole, it's the tennis itself. But using the money I saved for the summer and not watxching Nole in my forst tournament, well that would be a great disappointment. :(

Raine :wavey: :hug:

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 02:36 PM
:wavey: Just popped in to say:

A blessed Good Friday to all of you.

I have no idea what it's like in your respective countries but during the holy week here from Holy Thursday up to Easter Sunday people have no work and classes.

Most Filipinos in the cities pack up and leave for the provinces during this time too. :)

Bye:wavey:

Side note: Thank you all for congratulating me in my graduation. If I have the time next week, I'll tell you all about it. :D

Raine :wavey: Nice to see you here. Well here in the UK, most things close on Thursday night until the following Tuesday, so most workers have 4 days off :woohoo: Schools are normally closed for 2 weeks for what I guess some other countries call Spring Break :shrug: Would love to hear about your Graduation Day when you have time to tell us :)
Rose and Herdwick are conspiring :shurg:, they really don't want me to go. :rolls:

Seriously, thanks for tha note, I really amd going to take that in consideration, going to Madrid and Nole not being there AT ALL, would be a complete waste of money for me at this stage.

I mean, I am not only going to watch Nole, it's the tennis itself. But using the money I saved for the summer and not watxching Nole in my forst tournament, well that would be a great disappointment. :(

Raine :wavey: :hug:

:awww: Well I'm not trying to put you off - and I really have no idea if I'm right about Nole skipping Madrid or not - it's no more than a "feeling". I'm sure he'll be there if he knows you will be :D

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 02:36 PM
''Nurse - I dreamt about you last night'
Did you?'
No - you wouldn't let me!''

The sounds of 60s Britain :haha:

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 02:37 PM
''Nurse - I dreamt about you last night'
Did you?'
No - you wouldn't let me!''

The sounds of 60s Britain :haha:

:lol: "Carry On Up The Khyber" is still my favourite :)

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 02:41 PM
The dinner party! Agree :rolls: :haha:

And 'Screaming' too. 'And I was trying to give it up...''

arm
04-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Schools closed for 2 days? :rolls:

here in Portugal ALL schools (from 1st grade until 12th grade which is the last year of high school), I repeat every single school, is closed 2 WHOLE weeks. :bounce:

Univeristies only close for 1 week because later in May we have Queima das Fitas, which is one whole week of party :aparty: and no classes for university students.

:bounce:

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 02:43 PM
The dinner party! Agree :rolls: :haha:

And 'Screaming' too. 'And I was trying to give it up...''

:lol: Dreadfully unPC I admit :o But I spend my working life having to be PC - and sometimes I like a change :)

Schools closed for 2 days? :rolls:

here in Portugal ALL schools (from 1st grade until 12th grade which is the last year of high school), I reapeat every single school, is closed 2 WHOLE weeks. :bounce:

Univeristies only close for 1 week because later in May we have Queima das Fitas, which is one whole week of party :aparty: and no classes for university students.

:bounce:

Don't you party there all the time anyway? :shrug: Why take a special week to do it? :p

arm
04-10-2009, 02:45 PM
For hollidays length and hollidays' days, there is nothing like my country. :worship:

arm
04-10-2009, 02:49 PM
:lol: Dreadfully unPC I admit :o But I spend my working life having to be PC - and sometimes I like a change :)

Don't you party there all the time anyway? :shrug: Why take a special week to do it? :p

It's the most important week here in Coimbra.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queima_das_Fitas

It's such a tradition, you have no idea hwo important and fmaous it is here in portugal the Queima das Fitas in Coimbra. :)

The first day of that week will be first time I wear the official "outfit" of the University of Coimbra.

I can't really explain to you the tradition here, because it's so deep, so beautiful, so unique. :shrug:

http://www.copitraje.com/imagens_produtos/traje-academico-senhora.jpg

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 02:52 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queima_das_Fitas

Indeed - sounds quite something...:bounce:

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Wow - sounds amazing. I had honestly never heard of it :o And who says MTF can't be educational at times? Loved the quote in Herdwick's link that says "Reportedly, during Coimbra's Queima das Fitas, more beer is drank during one week than Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany". So guess we won't see you here so much that week Raquel? :lol:

arm
04-10-2009, 03:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHF27s_Bl2U It's 2007 Serenata Monumental of Queima das Fitas.

The serenata starts at midnight and it's the first event of Queima das Fitas. The square around Sé Velha is completely filled with students all in back (with the university traje - outfit). During the serenata the students which finish their course in tha same year sing Fado and say goodbye to Coimbra and the University. It's such a powerful moment, everyone is crying. :awww: And that is also the day that the freshers stop being freshers and start wearing the traje.

Tourist from all over Europe come to Coimbra in that week. :)

EDIT: No Rosie, I am afraid I won't be here much. :rolls:. :o

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 03:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHF27s_Bl2U It's 2007 Serenata Monumental of Queima das Fitas.

The serenata starts at midnight and it's the first event of Queima das Fitas. The square around Sé Velha is completely filled with students all in back (with the university traje - outfit). During the serenata the students which finish their course in tha same year sing Fado and say goodbye to Coimbra and the University. It's such a powerful moment, everyone is crying. :awww: And that is also the day that the freshers stop being freshers and start wearing the traje.

Tourist from all over Europe come to Coimbra in that week. :)

EDIT: No Rosie, I am afraid I won't be here much. :rolls:. :o

I'm assuming the traje is just the gown? Bit difficult to see in that photo. And you just wear black trousers or something underneath? Certainly seems something much "bigger" than anything equivalent we have here.

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 03:08 PM
We shall insist on photos...do you sing yourself?

Coming thick and fast now...:haha:
'I was once a weak man'
'Once a week's enough for any man...':rolls:

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 03:11 PM

'I was once a weak man'

:lol: I was about to make a crude comment there - but decided we have young people amongst us - and managed to keep quiet :angel:

arm
04-10-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm assuming the traje is just the gown? Bit difficult to see in that photo. And you just wear black trousers or something underneath? Certainly seems something much "bigger" than anything equivalent we have here.

It's different for women and men.

Women wera a skirt by the knee or 3 fingers bellow it, black tights, around 3 cms black high-heels, white blouse, black tie, black vest and that suit coat.

Men wear trousers and a long suit coat. The rest is simillar to the women's traje.

Finally, everyone wears that black layer. I don't know the correct english name for it, we call it capa and it's very long almost touches the floor and we use it in our back. I think it can be considered the most important part of the "traje".

Sorry, can't explain it better than that. :awww:

I'll try to find a better picture.

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 03:13 PM
JP has just informed me he could quite fancy Hattie Jacques :eek:

But Raquel is striving to inbue us here with a sense of culture and tradition - I shall refrain from further smutty humour.:o

http://www.ffguitarradas.pt/trajes-academicos.html

arm
04-10-2009, 03:13 PM

'I was once a weak man'

Oh no, :rolls: they sand in groups and only the students of the last year of every course sing. ;)

:lol:

I shall try to find more photos. :p

arm
04-10-2009, 03:18 PM
http://www.ffguitarradas.pt/fotos/traje-academico-nacional-1.jpg

This is the square in which the Serenata Monumental takes place:

http://www.portugal-reiseinfo.de/orte/coimbra/images/se_velha_coimbra.jpg

Again the square, this time during one Serenata:

http://www.meta-nando.com/dotclear/images/illustrations/serenata.png

arm
04-10-2009, 03:20 PM
:lol: I was about to make a crude comment there - but decided we have young people amongst us - and managed to keep quiet :angel:

:bigcry: This is the first time you two take me as a child. :(

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 03:24 PM
:haha:

The wandering and confused minds are ranging wide indeed today.

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 03:28 PM
It's different for women and men.

Women wera a skirt by the knee or 3 fingers bellow it, black tights, around 3 cms black high-heels, white blouse, black tie, black vest and that suit coat.

Men wear trousers and a long suit coat. The rest is simillar to the women's traje.

Finally, everyone wears that black layer. I don't know the correct english name for it, we call it capa and it's very long almost touches the floor and we use it in our back. I think it can be considered the most important part of the "traje".

Sorry, can't explain it better than that. :awww:

I'll try to find a better picture.

You explained it very well :hug: Guess "traje" would be best translated as a "cape" or "gown". Students wear them here on their Graduation and some other occasions - see photos :) And sorry for delayed reply - my f***ing server crashed :spit:

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 03:29 PM
JP has just informed me he could quite fancy Hattie Jacques :eek:

But Raquel is striving to inbue us here with a sense of culture and tradition - I shall refrain from further smutty humour.:o

http://www.ffguitarradas.pt/trajes-academicos.html

:lol: I'm sure this has been mentioned here before - which means poor JP's fantasy for Hattie is deep and long lasting :hearts: Is it the Matron's Uniform do you think?

:bigcry: This is the first time you two take me as a child. :(

:awww: You know we're only teasing :hug:

arm
04-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Raquel shall shut up with all the culture and tradition and we shall start talking about shallow stuff.
Like men and food :inlove: :rolls: I am hungry, BTW:

Rosie, thanks, I guess there are some similarities. :) This tradition thing, it's not like that in every university here in Portugal. Just mine, UC has always had a great tradition because of its age. :)

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Raquel shall shut up with all the culture and tradition and we shall start talking about shallow stuff.
Like men and food :inlove: :rolls: I am hungry, BTW:

Rosie, thanks, I guess there are some similarities. :) This tradition thing, it's not like that in every university here in Portugal. Just mine, UC has always had a great tradition because of its age. :)

Men and food - how unusual for this thread :p Guess most of the Unis here in the UK are old - Oxford and Cambrdge obviously the oldest. Those pics I posted were from Oxford btw :)

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Think you're right - she was married to John le Mesurier so it probably came up when you were being Sgt Wilson :lol:

Don't think so - far as I know uniforms don't do it for him.:lol: But he likes Jenny Agutter, Nigella Lawson and Carla Bruni too so it's difficult to pin him down type-wise :shrug:

No pressure on me then :rolls:

arm
04-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Men and food - how unusual for this thread :p Guess most of the Unis here in the UK are old - Oxford and Cambrdge obviously the oldest. Those pics I posted were from Oxford btw :)

I've been to Cambridge, you know, but it was in August. :awww: I wished it had been during school, so that now I could compare it to Coimbra.

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Think you're right - she was married to John le Mesurier so it probably came up when you were being Sgt Wilson :lol:

Don't think so - far as I know uniforms don't do it for him.:lol: But he likes Jenny Agutter, Nigella Lawson and Carla Bruni too so it's difficult to pin him down type-wise :shrug:

No pressure on me then :rolls:

Hmmmm - about the only link there is that they're all brunette, - though I think Jenny is more auburn naturally :shrug: Interesting taste - especially when you throw our Hattie into the mix.

Alex likes Claudia Schiffer, Scarlett Johannson, Siena Miller and Michelle Pfeiffer, which I guess means he falls firmly into the blonde camp. Of course he likes Ana I. too, - though possibly more because she's Serb than because of her looks :o

I've been to Cambridge, you know, but it was in August. :awww: I wished it had been during school, so that now I could compare it to Coimbra.

Cambridge is nice, but I much prefer Oxford - I adore Oxford - it's a lovely city and University, great architecture, wonderful shopping, nice restaurants, loads of history, yet modern at the same time - a perfect combination :)

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 03:49 PM
No competition for either of us then :rolls:

Well I'm dark and you're blonde so at least they're staying true to type.

Hattie is now resplendent in black chiffon and being bed-bathed...

arm
04-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Hmmmm - about the only link there is that they're all brunette, - though I think Jenny is more auburn naturally :shrug: Interesting taste - especially when you throw our Hattie into the mix.

Alex likes Claudia Schiffer, Scarlett Johannson, Siena Miller and Michelle Pfeiffer, which I guess means he falls firmly into the blonde camp. Of course he likes Ana I. too, - though possibly more because she's Serb than because of her looks :o

Cambridge is nice, but I much prefer Oxford - I adore Oxford - it's a lovely city and University, great architecture, wonderful shopping, nice restaurants, loads of history, yet modern at the same time - a perfect combination :)

Never been there. One day. ;) I loved the time I spent in Cambridge - 2 weeks - bu to be honest it wasn't because of the city itself, it was because of the type of vaccations I was doing.

I met people from all over the world, I made friends with who I still talk nowadays. :hug: And we had all kinds of activities durinf afternoon and evening after classes. :inlove:

I must confess, what I disliked the most in your country, girls, was food. :mad: I lost 5 kilos in those 2 weeks. You people just have such a strange taste when it comes to food. :eek:

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 03:50 PM

How is JP coping with that? Does he need a cold shower perchance? And - of course - no competition!!!
Never been there. One day. ;) I loved the time I spent in Cambridge - 2 weeks - bu to be honest it wasn't because of the city itself, it was because of the type of vaccations I was doing.

I met people from all over the world, I made friends with who I still talk nowadays. :hug: And we had all kinds of activities durinf afternoon and evening after classes. :inlove:

I must confess, what I disliked the most in your country, girls, was food. :mad: I lost 5 kilos in those 2 weeks, you people just have such a strange taste. :eek:

About the food - a lot of non Brits hate it and find it too bland - guess it's just what you're used to :shrug: I hate hot, spicy foods and rich sauces so I guess it suits me fine. Certainly I have a weakness for real British deserts - treacle pudding and custard :hearts: Home-made apple pie with cream :hearts: Bread and butter pudding :drool: Summer pudding with ice-cream :lick: No other country beats them in my opinion :D

arm
04-10-2009, 03:51 PM

:rolls::haha:

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 03:52 PM
:lol: You can get good food here Raquel but you do have to look for it and pay for it too. Taking pot luck is fatal.

arm
04-10-2009, 03:54 PM
:lol: You can get good food here Raquel but you do have to look for it and pay for it too. Taking pot luck is fatal.

:rolls: Oh I know, I really did pay for it. More than half of the money I took with me to England was spent on food. :lol:

And my programme included breakfast, lunch and dinner. So I was not supposed to spend that much money on food. :rolleyes:

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 03:56 PM
:rolls: Oh I know, I really did pay for it. More than half of the money I took with me to England was spent on food. :lol:

And my programme included breakfast, lunch and dinner. So I was not supposed to spend that much money on food. :rolleyes:

What did you find most unpalatable about it Raquel?

arm
04-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Rosie, I am not a desert person :shrug: I only like chocolate cake and yogurth cake and only if they are made my my grandmom. i also like ice cream, sure. :rolls:

All types od pudying and other cales, etc... :spit: no way.

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Rosie, I am not a desert person :shrug: I only like chocolate cake and yogurth cake and only if they are made my my grandmom. i also like ice cream, sure. :rolls:

All types od pudying and other cales, etc... :spit: no way.

I could happily live on them :o My blessing is that I really can eat them all day and not end up like Hattie Jacques :o Lucky genes I guess :shrug: I do try not to though because I'm sure it's not too healthy :o

arm
04-10-2009, 04:02 PM
What did you find most unpalatable about it Raquel?
Meat :shrug: I only eat red meat (pork and cow) but I those 2 types however they are cooked, I like them. But in Cambridge, they wre able to cook meat ina way I couldn't even take a bite. :eek:

But what I dislike the most was the variety. I love vegetables, sallad, fish. And at the residence I stayed in, they rarelly cooked that. :shrug:

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Interesting - proper puddings here are Ok. Stodgy though I guess if you're not used to them. Providing you don't expect French-style patisserie.

Meat here is usually overcooked and can be pretty rubbish quality, unless the places make a virtue of proper sourcing. Fish is often fried and few places in the UK can dress a salad properly.

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Guess because I don't eat eat or fish, this is not a problem for me :shrug: My main problem with British cooking is a tendancy to overcook - most people overcook their vegetables here until they're just a mushy mess :bolt: I do love freshly grown veg here though - broad beans or runners from the garden :hearts:

arm
04-10-2009, 04:10 PM
ok, let's get this clear. I must confess I am not an easy person to feed. :rolls: I almost don't eat meat. And there is a very high chance I don't like whatever either of you is cooking for dinner :o

My first meal in the UK was turkey. :spit::rolls: I can't stand that animal :o :lol:, and I didn't even touch the dish, but my friends who did like turkey and who dared to taste it, all told me that it was cooked in such a strange way, something they had never imagined it was even possible to cook. :rolls:

Also, all your unpalatable sandwiches for lunch. :lol:

Oh I just remembered, I believe your bread is different than ours. :shrug:

I guess I was just too used to food here in Portugal... But to be honest, I have been in +/- 10 different countries and I had never had that much trouble with food as I had in the UK.

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Not a turkey fan myself - it's usually factory farmed which I avoid. Our standard UK bread is white and pretty atrocious, unless you are lucky enough to find small craft bakeries. Travelling in Germany is always such a treat bread-wise. I make my own.

Sandwiches yes - agree usually uninspired and full of inferior mayonnaise.

Lee
04-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Morning (yes, it's morning here and I am still groggy) all!

Raquel, sorry Gil lost :awww: It's too early for me to watch and cheer for him.

:wavey: And Happy Easter to all who celebrate. Four days off work :woohoo:

No days off in US of A. Not politically correct. :tape: My son's school district has to name today's break as "april break" since "spring break" already occurred in March. :lol: Very creative to find politicall correct names for days of various religious days to put on the school calendar so the school board won't get into trouble. *sigh*

Now back to read back posts as you ladies are very talkative :p

arm
04-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Not a turkey fan myself - it's usually factory farmed which I avoid. Our standard UK bread is white and pretty atrocious, unless you are lucky enough to find small craft bakeries. Travelling in Germany is always such a treat bread-wise. I make my own.

Sandwiches yes - agree usually uninspired and full of inferior mayonnaise.

Here in Portugal, we're used to have very good bread and it comes with a lot of different types. :lol:

Apart from food, I must confess that my 2 weeks in the UK were probably the best of my life, and I would only compare them to my 2 weeks in Poland. :)

arm
04-10-2009, 04:18 PM

No days off in US of A. Not politically correct. :tape: My son's school district has to name today's break as "april break" since "spring break" already occurred in March. :lol: Very creative to find politicall correct names for days of various religious days to put on the school calendar so the school board won't get into trouble. *sigh*

:hug: I watched the match. :(

You go and have fun reading back. :rolls:

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 04:24 PM
I'm not a huge bread eater - one slice or a roll with dinner is about all I ever eat :shrug: I'm not allergic to wheat or gluten (as can probably be seen by the amount of pastries I eat :o ) but I do sometimes find bread quite difficult to digest, - don't really know why :shrug: - so I tend to avoid it.

Hi Lee :wavey: Sorry you don't feel too well :hug: Must say, I've never really understood why a country like The States, that seems ostensibly more religious than the UK in many ways, should refuse to have a Public Holiday on the most sacred of all Christian holidays - but guess there's nothing that can be done about it :sad:

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 04:26 PM

We are loquacious indeed today - too much time on our hands I guess.

Do public holidays vary in the US by state? JP works with some Texans and they're got the day off, Monday too he thinks.

arm
04-10-2009, 04:28 PM
I'm not a huge bread eater - one slice or a roll with dinner is about all I ever eat :shrug: I'n not allergic to wheat or gluten 9as can probably be seen by the amount of pastries I eat :o ) but I do sometimes find bread quite difficult to digest, - don't really know why :shrug: - so I tend to avoid it.

We eat a lot of bread here. A lot, really. Brekfast and the meal between lunch and dinner are almost always consisted of bread for pretty much anyone. :shrug:

Some people also eat bread with lunch and dinner. I don't because if I eat bread there won't be any more space in my stomach for the meal itself.

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 04:32 PM
We eat a lot of bread here. A lot, really. Brekfast and the meal between lunch and dinner are almost always consisted of bread for pretty much anyone. :shrug:

Some people also eat bread with lunch and dinner. I don't because if I eat bread there won't be any more space in my stomach for the meal itself.

Yes - I remember all the different breads at breakfast when I stayed in an Hotel in Estoril. In fact, in most European countries. For a Brit of course, that whole cold buffet breakfast thing with bread, cold ham and cheese is just :help: What's wrong with just a bowl of cereal, some fruit and a decent cup of tea or coffee? Who on earth wants to eat cheese first thing in the morning? :confused: :lol:

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 04:35 PM
...In fact, in most European countries. For a Brit of course, that whole cold buffet breakfast thing with bread, cold ham and cheese is just :help: What's wrong with just a bowl of cereal, some fruit and a decent cup of tea or coffee? Who on earth wants to eat cheese first thing in the morning? :confused: :lol:

:nerner: I do - I love the German-style breakfasts - and often have toast and cheese for breakfast here. Scooby snacks with loads of good back coffee really set you up for the day, especially after a night out.

arm
04-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Yes - I remember all the different breads at breakfast when I stayed in an Hotel in Estoril. In fact, in most European countries. For a Brit of course, that whole cold buffet breakfast thing with bread, cold ham and cheese is just :help: What's wrong with just a bowl of cereal, some fruit and a decent cup of tea or coffee? Who on earth wants to eat cheese first thing in the morning? :confused: :lol:

:rolls: I would advise you not to assume that our breakfast is like the ones served in our hotels. :rolls:

I seriously wish it was! :awww:

Here people just eat a bowl of cereal, or some bread with ham/cheese(butter and milk, coffee or yogurth. Or some fruit. :shrug:

I rarelly eat breakfast. :shrug: I knwo some people find it very strange and unhealthy, but I am never hungry when I wake up and I am always in such a rush to leave home to go to school. :shrug:

But when I do have breakfast, I eat only a yogurt (I don't drink milk :lol:). If, and only if, I have the time and I am hungry enough, I might eat some bread with ham or cheese. ;)

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Morecamber and Wise now and my favourite line:

*Sound of police siren*
He's not going to sell much ice cream going at that speed :haha:

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 04:41 PM
:nerner: I do - I love the German-style breakfasts - and often have toast and cheese for breakfast here. Scooby snacks with loads of good back coffee really set you up for the day, especially after a night out.

:lol: Not for me at all. I either have a bowl of cereal, (or good old porridge in Winter) or just some fruit with yoghurt - it's probably my healthiest meal of the day :o Cheese is too rich for me first thing I think - whenever I 've tried it, I've felt a bit nauseous all day :shrug: Mind you - as I said before - I do have a problem with rich food in general - if I could live on stodgy puddings and plates or mashed potato :o I probably would :lol: The blander the better :lol:

Morecamber and Wise now and my favourite line:

*Sound of police siren*
He's not going to sell much ice cream going at that speed :haha:

:worship: Morecambe and Wise :lol: :bowdown:

Lee
04-10-2009, 04:42 PM

We are loquacious indeed today - too much time on our hands I guess.

Do public holidays vary in the US by state? JP works with some Texans and they're got the day off, Monday too he thinks.

Yes, public holidays are pretty much defined by states. My state is one of the stingiest. Many federal holidays are not honoured here to live Martin Luther King's Jr., President's day, etc.

Herdwick
04-10-2009, 04:46 PM
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/rcpubhol.html

Easter isn't even a Federal holiday....:eek:

arm
04-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Lee, are you done with reading about food? :rolls:

Lee
04-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Hi Lee :wavey: Sorry you don't feel too well :hug: Must say, I've never really understood why a country like The States, that seems ostensibly more religious than the UK in many ways, should refuse to have a Public Holiday on the most sacred of all Christian holidays - but guess there's nothing that can be done about it :sad:

Thanks Rose. I am OK, just miss my morning coffee :o

Many people feel they had religions, especially Christian faith, choked down their throat when they were kids and now spent most of their energy as an adult fighting vs anything religious. All government buildings can't have any sign of religious symbol. They take that as discrimination. IMO, both go to the extreme in suppressing other parties expressing their believes/non-believes. Public school teachers can't even mention Christmas or Easter unless they are teaching about various religious tradition.

My son first school year here, his teacher kept saying winter break instead of Christmas and I was kind of WTF? In Canada, even public school teachers can say Christmas without parents jump down their throats. :lol:

arm
04-10-2009, 04:54 PM

Many people feel they had religions, especially Christian faith, choked down their throat when they were kids and now spent most of their energy as an adult fighting vs anything religious. All government buildings can't have any sign of religious symbol. They take that as discrimination. IMO, both go to the extreme in suppressing other parties expressing their believes/non-believes. Public school teachers can't even mention Christmas or Easter unless they are teaching about various religious tradition.

My son first school year here, his teacher kept saying winter break instead of Christmas and I was kind of WTF? In Canada, even public school teachers can say Christmas without parents jump down their throats. :lol:

That is interesting. Here a lot of schools and hospitals are named after saints of people realted to catholicism. A couple of years ago, government was talking about changing the name of every school and hospital in that situation.

To be honest, I am not sure what I think about that. :shrug: On one hand, it does make sense. On the other hand, isn't that exaggerating a bit? :shrug:

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 04:57 PM

Yes, must say I've noticed that at Christmas, for example, US posters here are far more likely just to say "Happy Holidays" or something, whereas the Canadians, Brits and others say "Happy Christmas" :shrug: Seems silly to be - because it IS Christmas whether you believe in the religious side of it or not. There is some "political correctness" here in the UK, but generally most people respect each others' religions without being tetchy about it, - so a lot of Mulsim kids I know exchange Christmas presents and Easter Eggs etc with their schoolmates, whilst Christians know all about Ramadan and Divali etc and send people their good wishes accordingly.

Lee
04-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Lee, are you done with reading about food? :rolls:

and Queima das fitas :lol: Sounds really fun in your Uni, Raquel.

And food, never a fan of traditional English/British food. Not a fan of bread either. As Chinese, I love all kinds of "baos", or buns but they are quit different from bread. When I was a little girl, the usual family meal (in southern China) was extremely healthy. Stir fried green vegetables and steamed fish with rice almost everyday. Pork is the usual meat. Vegetables are very fresh as they were usually collected by farmers in early morning and arrived in the market before noon. Same for pork as the pigs were usually slaughtered in government run slaughter houses in the early morning too. Fishes would not sell if they were day old either.

But as life moves on, after not eating fish for a year in Canada, I finally adapted to eating those "fresh" fish (i.e. not frozen) and frozen fishes in North America :lol:

Lee
04-10-2009, 05:07 PM
That is interesting. Here a lot of schools and hospitals are named after saints of people realted to catholicism. A couple of years ago, government was talking about changing the name of every school and hospital in that situation.

To be honest, I am not sure what I think about that. :shrug: On one hand, it does make sense. On the other hand, isn't that exaggerating a bit? :shrug:

Private buildings, hospitals, schools, etc can name them after any religious figure. Just not public ones.

Yes, must say I've noticed that at Christmas, for example, US posters here are far more likely just to say "Happy Holidays" or something, whereas the Canadians, Brits and others say "Happy Christmas" :shrug: Seems silly to be - because it IS Christmas whether you believe in the religious side of it or not. There is some "political correctness" here in the UK, but generally most people respect each others' religions without being tetchy about it, - so a lot of Mulsim kids I know exchange Christmas presents and Easter Eggs etc with their schoolmates, whilst Christians know all about Ramadan and Divali etc and send people their good wishes accordingly.

And that's one of the problems in US because by suppressing/fighting one faith (mainly Christian because it was/is a dominant forces in many states), it also suppressed many other faiths which define the culture of other races now live in USA. As a result, ignorance of other cultures and lack of tolerances.

arm
04-10-2009, 05:12 PM
and Queima das fitas :lol: Sounds really fun in your Uni, Raquel.

And food, never a fan of traditional English/British food. Not a fan of bread either. As Chinese, I love all kinds of "baos", or buns but they are quit different from bread. When I was a little girl, the usual family meal (in southern China) was extremely healthy. Stir fried green vegetables and steamed fish with rice almost everyday. Pork is the usual meat. Vegetables are very fresh as they were usually collected by farmers in early morning and arrived in the market before noon. Same for pork as the pigs were usually slaughtered in government run slaughter houses in the early morning too. Fishes would not sell if they were day old either.

But as life moves on, after not eating fish for a year in Canada, I finally adapted to eating those "fresh" fish (i.e. not frozen) and frozen fishes in North America :lol:

I had almost forgotten about my sermon about Queima das Fitas. :rolls:

Private buildings, hospitals, schools, etc can name them after any religious figure. Just not public ones.

And that's one of the problems in US because by suppressing/fighting one faith (mainly Christian because it was/is a dominant forces in many states), it also suppressed many other faiths which define the culture of other races now live in USA. As a result, ignorance of other cultures and lack of tolerances.

I was talking about public ones. For examply my sister's public primary school was called Saint Amaro's School. :)

*Ljubica*
04-10-2009, 05:12 PM

Yes - must admit the UK is a pretty good "role model" for multiculturalism - we don't suppress any religion and everyone has freedom to worship (or not) in any way that they choose.

Anyway - I really have to go now for a while :sad: As Lee will see, I've been here a lot today, and still have to cook dinner and a few other things that I really need to do in the house. Hope to pop back in a little later on.

Bye for now :wavey:

arm
04-10-2009, 05:16 PM
I need to go too. :awww:

Take shower and probably go out for dinner.

I'll be back today, I think. :) :wavey::hug:

Lee
04-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Yes - must admit the UK is a pretty good "role model" for multiculturalism - we don't suppress any religion and everyone has freedom to worship (or not) in any way that they choose.

Anyway - I really have to go now for a while :sad: As Lee will see, I've been here a lot today, and still have to cook dinner and a few other things that I really need to do in the house. Hope to pop back in a little later on.

Bye for now :wavey:

Can't say US "suppress" religions as it's against one of the sacred amendments here. :p But all worships or whatever must be done privately. Very Strictly Privately.

Lee
04-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Herdwick, have fun in MC ;)

arm
04-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Dinner had, shower taken. :)

So you don't have to get your boy today, Lee? No school for him?

Lee
04-10-2009, 07:33 PM
No school for him. It's called April break. :lol:

The main reason for the school district put this as an offday is they don't want a high number of student absent from school which will affect the funding of school district from state :tape:

Lee
04-10-2009, 07:34 PM
And Raquel, I think my son learns from you. It's pass noon and he's still sleeping :tape:

arm
04-10-2009, 08:56 PM
And Raquel, I think my son learns from you. It's pass noon and he's still sleeping :tape:

Sorry, I was watching Tom and Jerry with my 2 litte cousins. :lol:

He does? :lol: How old is he?

Lee
04-10-2009, 08:58 PM

arm
04-10-2009, 09:10 PM
I thought he was younger!

Oh I miss being 13. :awww:

Lee
04-10-2009, 09:20 PM
I thought he was younger!

Oh I miss being 13. :awww:

He's forever young in my heart :lol:

arm
04-10-2009, 09:40 PM
He's forever young in my heart :lol:

I believe you. :rolls: Some day soon he'll arrive home with his girlfriend. :p

Lee
04-10-2009, 09:55 PM
He talked about gf's since he's like in 3rd or 4th grade :lol:

arm
04-10-2009, 10:01 PM
He talked about gf's since he's like in 3rd or 4th grade :lol:

:eek: You be careful with you son. :lol:

Seriously, I thought he was 10 or 11. :shrug: Don't know why.

Now I am having a fight with my best friend. :lol: Perfet to finish the day. :rolleyes:

The drw is tomorrow right? In the morning? I will be so :mad: if he ends up in Nadal side. :awww:

Lee
04-10-2009, 10:38 PM
:eek: You be careful with you son. :lol:

:lol: He's not interest now after he saw his best friend falling head over heel on a girl and made a total idiot.

Seriously, I thought he was 10 or 11. :shrug: Don't know why.

Because you can't believe I have a son that old. :angel:

Now I am having a fight with my best friend. :lol: Perfet to finish the day. :rolleyes:

patch up before the end of day?

The drw is tomorrow right? In the morning? I will be so :mad: if he ends up in Nadal side. :awww:

noon

arm
04-10-2009, 11:00 PM
:lol: He's not interest now after he saw his best friend falling head over heel on a girl and made a total idiot.

Because you can't believe I have a son that old. :angel:

patch up before the end of day?

noon

:awww: He and his best friend will get over ot soon. :rolls: Does he tell you all that? That's great. :bounce:

Lee, to me you're not old :shrug: I have no idea how old are you to be honest, and it doesn't make any difference at all. :shrug:

It's me who gets underestimated because of my young age. :sad::awww: kidding :rolls:

Lee
04-10-2009, 11:10 PM
We talk. He understands that I am not sanctioning him having girl friends. It's OK to be interested in girl, that's very normal and if he has a girl friend, I will love to know her/know about her. :lol: Anyway, he's more interested in gossipping about his friends than having an affair :rolls:

arm
04-10-2009, 11:14 PM
We talk. He understands that I am not sanctioning him having girl friends. It's OK to be interested in girl, that's very normal and if he has a girl friend, I will love to know her/know about her. :lol: Anyway, he's more interested in gossipping about his friends than having an affair :rolls:

:rolls: That's also normal. he is my sister's age, it's such a difficult age, IMO. :shrug: I don't know how to deal withe her!

Lee
04-10-2009, 11:19 PM
I have absolutely no clue myself most of the time. :rolls:

arm
04-10-2009, 11:24 PM
I have absolutely no clue myself most of the time. :rolls:

Good to know you share my pain. :rolls:

But it's kind of difficult to me right now, because I need her to act like a grwon up but she has no clue how to do it. :shrug: But at the same time she doesn't act like a child either! :unsure: And that is why I fisrt started to expect her to be a grown up in difficult situations.

Bah, it's difficult. :shrug: But they will get over it soon. :lol:

Lee
04-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Good to know you share my pain. :rolls:

But it's kind of difficult to me right now, because I need her to act like a grwon up but she has no clue how to do it. :shrug: But at the same time she doesn't act like a child either! :unsure: And that is why I fisrt started to expect her to be a grown up in difficult situation.

Bah, it's difficult. :shrug: But they will get over ot soon. :lol:

Well, let her choose to be whoever she prefers right now. It's a pretty difficult inbetween period. I think there is time she wants to be a child and then turn around, prefers grownup.

My son has acted like this for more than a year. Sometimes, he's very articulate and suddenly, he acts like an idiot, giggle like a 5 years old. :shrug: But he's progressing slowly toward more adult than a kid.

arm
04-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Well, let her choose to be whoever she prefers right now. It's a pretty difficult inbetween period. I think there is time she wants to be a child and then turn around, prefers grownup.

My son has acted like this for more than a year. Sometimes, he's very articulate and suddenly, he acts like an idiot, giggle like a 5 years old. :shrug: But he's progressing slowly toward more adult than a kid.

But the thing is, we're ahving some family problems, it's difficult for everyone, but I need her help, I need her to be a grown up once in a while. Sometims I think I shouldn't expect that from her and put her under so much pressure, but the thing is, I really need her help, and it's not only my problem and I can handle it on my own. :shrug: I know she tries, but sometimes I get so mad at her :awww:, I know I shouldn't but it's really difficult.

Also, there's the fact that I have always been very matture for my age, even when I was 6 or 9 or 10, I was always very matture for my age, and I keep making the mistake of expecting her to do, think and react like I did when I was her age. I know I can't and shouldn't expect that from her.

But don't get me wrong, we fight all the time, but have a great relation ship, she looks up to me for some reason, and that has always helped our relation ship. She is the most important person for me in the world. :hug:

Did your son become 13 this year or he is still going to become 14 in 2009?

Lee
04-10-2009, 11:47 PM
:hug: Raquel. He turned 13 in Jan this year.

I understand your feeling. My husband and I are both close to perfectionist. When we pick on a job, we put every effort to get the job done perfectly. We may not be the most talent but we put 110% effort. My son, on the other, is happy to just get-by. :shrug: He has been told by almost all his teachers that he has the ability to be a straight A student but he's happy with B and that's his grades these days *sigh*

arm
04-10-2009, 11:59 PM
:hug: Raquel. He turned 13 in Jan this year.

I understand your feeling. My husband and I are both close to perfectionist. When we pick on a job, we put every effort to get the job done perfectly. We may not be the most talent but we put 110% effort. My son, on the other, is happy to just get-by. :shrug: He has been told by almost all his teachers that he has the ability to be a straight A student but he's happy with B and that's his grades these days *sigh*

So he really is my sister's age. :) She turns 13 in August.

You really do understand me. :) :hug: My sister has always been a great student, I think that I have my share of responsability in that, because as I have always been a good student, she had me like a role model to follow. In terms of school she is very grown up.

But apart from that... nothing. She doesn't get dressed by herself in the morning, she doesn't know how to act with people. And what annoys me the most is that she doens't think about other people, she doesn't worry, you know? It's not that she does it on purpose or that she is a mean girl, not at all, she is just so childish that she doesn't even realize she has to think and look out for people... Because she is really sweet. :)

About your son, has he always been like that in terms of grades? Or has he had a different behaviour towards school and grandes? because that could just be because of the age you know... I know I am nobody to advise people about raising their children, but I have watched my mum raise my sister and I know how she did it with me, and what I could tell you is: insist, be a pain in his a** :rolls:. He'll thaank you later. :p

Lee
04-11-2009, 12:10 AM
He was a straight A students in elementary school where he could easily "get-by". The class size is smaller and one teacher for each class so the teacher got to know the around 30 students pretty well in the class. In middle school, it's more like a manufacturing plant. :shrug: Students moved from one classroom to another for different subjects. Each subject teacher has to deal with about 140 students and they really don't have the time to understand the students especially those with special needs. So my son turned from loving all his teachers to hating all. :shrug:

edit: Raquel, my son has been constantly complaining his parents being a big pain in the *** :lol:

arm
04-11-2009, 12:13 AM
He was a straight A students in elementary school where he could easily "get-by". The class size is smaller and one teacher for each class so the teacher got to know the around 30 students pretty well in the class. In middle school, it's more like a manufacturing plant. :shrug: Students moved from one classroom to another for different subjects. Each subject teacher has to deal with about 140 students and they really don't have the time to understand the students especially those with special needs. So my son turned from loving all his teachers to hating all. :shrug:

The transition must have been difficult for him. :awww: When was the transition? In which grade? It's funny how our educational systems are sooo different. :)

EDIT: :rolls: that is a good sign, when they complain, is because they don't mind so much. :p

Lee
04-11-2009, 12:16 AM
The transition must have been difficult for him. :awww: When was the transition? In which grade? It's funny how our educational systems are sooo different. :)

EDIT: :rolls: that is a good sign, when they complain, is because they don't mind so much. :p

To make things more complicated, here, it's different for different school districts and in the Phoenix metro, we have more than 20 school districts :rolls:

My son's school district and some start at 6th grade while the rest starts at 7th grade. So elementary school is from kindergarten to 5th or 6th, middle school from 6th or 7th to 8th. And high school is 9th to 12th.

Lee
04-11-2009, 12:18 AM
I have to leave now Raquel! :wavey:

Hope your problem within the family will be solved soon. :hug:

arm
04-11-2009, 12:25 AM
:rolls: Americans really are complicated. :lol:

Here Primary school is from 1st to 4th grade (including), and during these years they are like 25 per class and have only ONE teacher to teach him everything they are supposed to be taught. Then there is 2º Ciclo with is from 5th to 6th, only two years. Normally there's a change of school here, the calss is about 30 people and they start having a different teacher for each subject and changing classrooms, etc. After that its the 3º Ciclo, from 7th to 9th grade, still more or less 30 students per class, and almost the same as 2º Ciclo. After it's High school, we call it secondary school, and it is from 1th to 12th. From 1st to 9th grade the subjects and programme to be tought is the same for every student in the country, but when you finish 9th grade you have to choose an area of study: economics, science, literature, arts, informatics, etc, and you have different subjects depending on which are you chose. But people in the same area have the same subjects. :) It's a strange system, but I must confess, I pretty fair one, as it's the same for everyone in the country. For example to apply for university you ahve to do national exams.

:wavey: I must go to bed too. :) And don't worry, I can handle this. :hug:

*Ljubica*
04-11-2009, 09:52 AM
:wavey: Another typical :rain: English Bank Holiday :D Hope all are well :hug:

Herdwick
04-11-2009, 10:22 AM

The residents of Herdwick towers have only just got up and only then cos we were woken by the meter reader. No alcohol either - it must be Raquel's auto-suggestion.

Draw on at present I think? I expect Rafa in the SF and Giraffe in the QF - anything else is a bonus.

*Ljubica*
04-11-2009, 10:40 AM

The residents of Herdwick towers have only just got up and only then cos we were woken by the meter reader. No alcohol either - it must be Raquel's auto-suggestion.

Draw on at present I think? I expect Rafa in the SF and Giraffe in the QF - anything else is a bonus.

Such a BAD influence, that Raquel :devil: We woke up at about 8.30am, though I admit, didn't get out of bed til about 11.00am :o I think the draw is 12.00pm, though whether MC time (in which case right now), or our time I'm not sure :shrug:

Sexy Radek visited me in my dreams last night :help: Though thankfully only fleetingly as a work colleague - no "funny business" thank the Lord - but it was still very upsetting!

ellen_
04-11-2009, 10:45 AM
:wavey: Again a sunny and warm day here.

That draw is taking ages again :sobbing: They mean noon CET, I think, but now you made me doubt :shrug: Although it might be noon for you guys when it finally comes online.

*Ljubica*
04-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi Ellen :wavey: Well they don't say it :rain: a lot in the UK without good reason - it honestly does. :lol:

Btw - how does everyone feel about the thread title? Do we still want to be in bed with Nole for a little longer? Or do we fancy a change?

ellen_
04-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Well, we won't have to take him to bed anymore now - since they're back in Europe :awww: We've been in bed for a long time now, it's time for him and for us to stretch the legs. And I'm sure he'll become the clay monster of the year, so I don't think that's nice to have in your bed anyway :shrug: :rolls:.

Herdwick
04-11-2009, 10:59 AM
But too much of a good thing is wonderful :angel:

*Ljubica*
04-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Well, we won't have to take him to bed anymore now - since they're back in Europe :awww: We've been in bed for a long time now, it's time for him and for us to stretch the legs. And I'm sure he'll become the clay monster of the year, so I don't think that's nice to have in your bed anyway :shrug: :rolls:.

:D Must admit I was thinking it was time for a change too. I will ignore my own personal desire to call it the "In Bed with Miljan" thread :o and wait for the lovely Herdwick to come up with some of her usual witty ideas. :)

But too much of a good thing is wonderful :angel:

:D So you're happy to stay in the bed then?

Herdwick
04-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Than again, all relationships need variety - we can move somewhere else :devil:

Will ponder alternative locations...

ellen_
04-11-2009, 11:29 AM
So you're our location hunter now then :lol: Please come up with some good locations so I could switch on my imagination to forget about that STUPID DRAW :shout: :hysteric: Ernie got Kohlschreiber and Verdasco :bigcry:

*Ljubica*
04-11-2009, 11:47 AM
So you're our location hunter now then :lol: Please come up with some good locations so I could switch on my imagination to forget about that STUPID DRAW :shout: :hysteric: Ernie got Kohlschreiber and Verdasco :bigcry:

Kohlschreiber's not that good on clay :shrug: Think positive :D

ellen_
04-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Kohlschreiber's not that good on clay :shrug: Think positive :D

Rosie, you're the best :rolls: :hug:. But I'm afraid my mind is going into chaos-mode again :lol: I sure will yell every bit of frustration out of me at football tonight, and I'll be a whole different person when I come back :angel: If we didn't lose 5-0, of course - which is very possible :spit:

*Ljubica*
04-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Rosie, you're the best :rolls: :hug:. But I'm afraid my mind is going into chaos-mode again :lol: I sure will yell every bit of frustration out of me at football tonight, and I'll be a whole different person when I come back :angel: If we didn't lose 5-0, of course - which is very possible :spit:

Well you know me - I can think positive about everyone else and their favourites, but I only have to look at Nole's draw to get :hysteric: Ferrer and Verdasco and Almagro :bigcry: It's dreaming about Radek that did it - depressed me for the rest of the day :lol:

ellen_
04-11-2009, 12:21 PM
I'll reply to that one here ;)

Yes I did tell him - and he laughed :awww: Even offered to buy himself a nice purple outfit for me :bolt: So did Pete offer to carry your books to School? :angel:

Purple :tape:

No he didn't :awww: But we did some quiz and he asked if I wanted to team up with him, and he got me chair so I could sit with him :hearts: :rolls:

Herdwick
04-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Thoroughly glumped now. Weather looks rotten all week. :bigcry: