2009 Monte Carlo: Rafa d. Nole in Final (6-3, 2-6, 6-1), Collects 14th Shield. :D [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2009 Monte Carlo: Rafa d. Nole in Final (6-3, 2-6, 6-1), Collects 14th Shield. :D

Bibberz
04-07-2009, 02:48 PM
:dance:

Minn
04-07-2009, 02:49 PM
:lol: at the title.

tennizen
04-07-2009, 02:50 PM
BD, I hope you are nervous, very nervous

l_mac
04-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Lot of pression on BD.

Betty
04-07-2009, 02:52 PM
HE never lose there bd

wildegirl05
04-07-2009, 02:54 PM
oh god :scared: :unsure:

maybe i should pick R1 and score points in mit thanks to the thread jinx :sobbing:

Bibberz
04-07-2009, 02:54 PM
If the unthinkable happens I'll just blame Hilde for jinxing Rafa somehow. :D Well, I'll drag her down with me anyway.

Snoo Foo
04-07-2009, 02:56 PM
champion

is there even a contest for this?

cmurray
04-07-2009, 02:56 PM
If the unthinkable happens I'll just blame Hilde for jinxing Rafa somehow. :D Well, I'll drag her down with me anyway.

always a noble cause. :D

Is Rafa really undefeated in Monte Carlo? :scared:

BD, don't fuck this up. :armed:

Bibberz
04-07-2009, 02:57 PM
MIT Pick:

http://www.nonvivant.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/epicwin.jpg

l_mac
04-07-2009, 02:57 PM
champion

is there even a contest for this?

That's what everyone said in Rome last year.

:unsure:

I say SF. The unstoppable winning machine that is Andy Murray will gut him.

cmurray
04-07-2009, 02:58 PM

Linda :bigcry:

wildegirl05
04-07-2009, 03:00 PM

i'm going with quarters then. he'll want to avoid this humiliating loss and will tank in the quarters :sad: :hug:

if everyone bandwagons on this pick AGAIN, i will be very angry :mad:

scarecrows
04-07-2009, 03:04 PM
W

no need to see the draw

JolánGagó
04-07-2009, 03:06 PM
MIT prediction: WIN

period
end of story
next

Minn
04-07-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm with BD, Scarecrows and JolanGago on this - Win.

rafa_maniac
04-07-2009, 03:42 PM
I need to see where Ferrero is in the draw first.

LinkMage
04-07-2009, 04:05 PM
WIN

Easy peasy. :dance:

tennizen
04-07-2009, 04:07 PM
I say SF. Novak is back. Be very afraid

l_mac
04-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Hema did you notice Nathii's thread is away? :D

tennizen
04-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Hema did you notice Nathii's thread is away? :D

I hadn't noticed until I saw your thread for the mods. This might actually turn in our favor. We all start with 50K posts and there is no doubt as to who the spam overlords are on MTF. So we will rule MTF starting now.

star
04-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Is the draw even out? :confused:

tennizen
04-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Is the draw even out? :confused:

It's out this Friday I think

star
04-07-2009, 04:35 PM
It's out this Friday I think

All this MIT picking and no draw. :rolleyes:

Castafiore
04-07-2009, 08:02 PM
What's up with everybody blaming me today? :mad:

If the unthinkable happens, you're on your own.

Foxy
04-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Win !!!

He should retire otherwise. :)

Laba
04-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Win.

nashty
04-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Win please.

DERO
04-09-2009, 06:09 PM
win
of course

adee-gee
04-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Metis, can you put me down for WIN in every MIT until Queens please? :D

:sport:

wildegirl05
04-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Metis, can you put me down for WIN in every MIT until Queens please? :D

:sport:

queens is my turn to start a rafito thread adam :awww: can't you include win there too? :inlove: but you better show up on my thread to make your pick :armed:

adee-gee
04-10-2009, 01:51 PM
queens is my turn to start a rafito thread adam :awww: can't you include win there too? :inlove: but you better show up on my thread to make your pick :armed:
Grass court season = Muzza time :D Sorry :hug:

Muzza is going unbeaten on the green stuff :smoke:

Rafa will win the USO to make up for it though.

savesthedizzle
04-10-2009, 01:52 PM
win :D

wildegirl05
04-10-2009, 01:54 PM

omg, you traitor :speakles:

:bigcry:

but you'll still show up on my thread to make your R2 pick right? :ras:

l_mac
04-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Adam, I am sickened.

edit: wg, you have no room to talk :rolleyes:

cmurray
04-10-2009, 02:01 PM

that's a horrible thing to say, Adam. :mad:

wildegirl05
04-10-2009, 02:01 PM
edit: wg, you have no room to talk :rolleyes:

[channeling scoobsy]and yet watch me make room :)[/channeling scoobsy]

:D

adee-gee
04-10-2009, 02:04 PM
omg, you traitor :speakles:

:bigcry:

but you'll still show up on my thread to make your R2 pick right? :ras:
I don't criticise you for wanting :bibcry: to win every event :ras: (well actually I do but still :D )......

I'll turn up to make my "finalist" prediction, yes ;)
Adam, I am sickened.
Why? :lol:
that's a horrible thing to say, Adam. :mad:
Also why? :lol:

3/4 slams is a pretty good year for Rafa, I'm more than satisfied with that. It's time to put these clowns who think Murray can only win smaller events in place :shrug:

cmurray
04-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Why? :lol:

Also why? :lol:

3/4 slams is a pretty good year for Rafa, I'm more than satisfied with that. It's time to put these clowns who think Murray can only win smaller events in place :shrug:

because a good Rafatard should want him to win EVERYTHING. :mad: And you know how much Wimbledon means to him. AND think of how unbearable the Brits :D will be if Muzza won Wimbledon. It would be beyond awful.

scoobs
04-10-2009, 02:10 PM
:lol:

Rafatards getting just as greedy as they always accused Federer fans of being.

"3/4 slams is a PRETTY GOOD YEAR" :lol:

Yeah, not doing the Grand Slam is only comme ci comme ca...

l_mac
04-10-2009, 02:11 PM

Rafatards getting just as greedy as they always accused Federer fans of being.

Rafatard. Most of us are only clinging to the hope that he manages to defend RG.

RG is all I care about.

adee-gee
04-10-2009, 02:13 PM
because a good Rafatard should want him to win EVERYTHING. :mad: And you know how much Wimbledon means to him. AND think of how unbearable the Brits :D will be if Muzza won Wimbledon. It would be beyond awful.
Rafa and Andy are my joint favourite players, I don't consider either to be ahead of the other. If it was a Rafa-Andy Wimbledon final, obviously I'd be happy either way, especially if Rafa has RG out the way and then has a shot at the Golden Slam.

It would be awesome if Murray won Wimbledon. The country would be buzzing. I don't give a shite if people like Clydey milked it :lol:

scoobs
04-10-2009, 02:14 PM
The "Brits" will be unbearable whichever slam Murray ends up winning, assuming he does. So ergo you don't want him to win a slam, ever. Why. Why would you do this to him? What did he ever do to hurt you?

cmurray
04-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Rafatard. Most of us are only clinging to the hope that he manages to defend RG.

RG is all I care about.

I care about WImbledon, but I'm certainly not expecting it. The first time he loses at RG will without a doubt be the worst though. But I still WANT him to win everything.

Adam. :(

wildegirl05
04-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Rafa and Andy are my joint favourite players, I don't consider either to be ahead of the other. If it was a Rafa-Andy Wimbledon final, obviously I'd be happy either way, especially if Rafa has RG out the way and then has a shot at the Golden Slam.

It would be awesome if Murray won Wimbledon. The country would be buzzing. I don't give a shite if people like Clydey milked it :lol:

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

seriously laughing.

oh adam. your credibility is SHIT to fuss about fedaltards. not that you had much anyways :D

i hope muzza loses in R1 of wimbly so the brits can wallow in their misery :rocker2: and it's a roger-rafa final :D

cmurray
04-10-2009, 02:20 PM
The "Brits" will be unbearable whichever slam Murray ends up winning, assuming he does. So ergo you don't want him to win a slam, ever. Why. Why would you do this to him? What did he ever do to hurt you?

I disagree. I think they would particularly heinous if he won Wimbledon. :D

Are you suggesting that I don't LIKE Muzza? :speakles:

TAKE IT BACK! :mad: I'll have you know that I LOVE Muzza. just not as much as Rafa. Obviously if Rafa wasn't in a tournament or whatever reason, I'd be pulling for Muzz.

I don't like you anymore. :(

:rolls:

scoobs
04-10-2009, 02:21 PM
I disagree. I think they would particularly heinous if he won Wimbledon. :D

TAKE IT BACK! :mad: I'll have you know that I LOVE Muzza. just not as much as Rafa. Obviously if Rafa wasn't in a tournament or whatever reason, I'd be pulling for Muzz.

I don't like you anymore. :(

:rolls:
If you want Rafa to win everything then ergo you don't want Muzza to win a slam. QED. :angel:

cmurray
04-10-2009, 02:24 PM
If you want Rafa to win everything then ergo you don't want Muzza to win a slam. QED. :angel:

Not true. What if Rafa got....gulp....hurt? Then I'd want Muzza to win for sure. Stop trying to twist my words around, you...you.....word-twister. :(

wildegirl05

this is a lot more fun when we can turn around and do it to them.

scoobsy, if i were to hypothetically start a thread on gm about supporting dual players with adam's quote as a basis, would you hypothetically delete it or let it live? my desire to start it is both to take the piss out of adam and see what the current pulse is on mtf about dual supporting of players.

l_mac
I care about WImbledon, but I'm certainly not expecting it. The first time he loses at RG will without a doubt be the worst though. But I still WANT him to win everything.

Well I want him to win everything. That goes without saying. But if I had to prioritise, RG would be top. :shrug:

I've always wanted him to win everything. Even when he was just a dirtballer :D

There is a difference between want and expect, which is where the Rafatards differ from the Fedtards.

btw, no Fed defence here please wg. The Rafachat is a safe haven for all views, the Rafa forum is only for Rafatards.

wildegirl05
04-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Well I want him to win everything. That goes without saying. But if I had to prioritise, RG would be top. :shrug:

There is a difference between want and expect, which is where the Rafatards differ from the Fedtards.

btw, no Fed defence here please wg. The Rafachat is a safe haven for all views, the Rafa forum is only for Rafatards.

don't worry, i have bigger fish to fry :D

l_mac
04-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Guys :mad: RAFA FORUM.

I care not for support of other players here. Back to the chat thread fedaltards/murrayrtards etc.

scoobs
04-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Not true. What if Rafa got....gulp....hurt? Then I'd want Muzza to win for sure. Stop trying to twist my words around, you...you.....word-twister. :(
Oh , one of those "Rafa thrown under a bus" Muzza fans :rolleyes:

Anyway, forum mod has spoken. I best leave.

cmurray
04-10-2009, 02:29 PM

agreed. I don't think Rafatards would ever DARE expect him to win all the time. We're far too pessimistic as a group for that sort of thing. :haha:

wildegirl05
04-10-2009, 02:32 PM
agreed. I don't think Rafatards would ever DARE expect him to win all the time. We're far too pessimistic as a group for that sort of thing. :haha:

are all rafatards pessimistic? i thought it was just linda and maybe you :shrug:

look at all the win predictions here :lol:

adee-gee
04-10-2009, 02:37 PM
oh adam. your credibility is SHIT to fuss about fedaltards. not that you had much anyways :D
Rafa and Andy are/were not direct rivals, I don't have any problem with someone that supports Federer+Murray or Djokovic+Murray etc. Fedaltards don't bother me much nowadays because Federer is about as much of a threat to the guys I support as Donald Young :D
i hope muzza loses in R1 of wimbly so the brits can wallow in their misery :rocker2: and it's a roger-rafa final :D
And I wonder who you'd want to win :scratch: :kiss:

wildegirl05
04-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Rafa and Andy are not direct rivals, I don't have any problem with someone that supports Federer+Murray or Djokovic+Murray etc. Fedaltards don't bother me much nowadays because Federer is about as much of a threat to the guys I support as Donald Young :D

they're slated to meet at semis quite often, so i don't know what you mean by direct rivals :D and i know they don't bother you much these days because to rant against them would mean you'll need to examine your own hypocrisy :D

that can't be fun :awww:

And I wonder who you'd want to win :scratch: :kiss:

same as you, i'll be happy whoever wins :kiss:

be sure to be available for the thread on gm later today :dance:

adee-gee
04-10-2009, 02:44 PM
they're slated to meet at semis quite often, so i don't know what you mean by direct rivals :D and i know they don't bother you much these days because to rant against them would mean you'll need to examine your own hypocrisy :D
Not that I have to prove myself, but I think you'll find I supported both players long before they were #1 and #4 in the world, so they weren't direct rivals. I'm not just going to ditch one of them now because they're both doing well. I've always said I don't enjoy matches when they play each other, but I decide who I'd "prefer" to win depending on the situation.

Now find me a Fedaltard that liked both players before they were at the top of the game. kthanxbye :wavey: :smooch:

wildegirl05
04-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Not that I have to prove myself, but I think you'll find I supported both players long before they were #1 and #4 in the world, so they weren't direct rivals. I'm not just going to ditch one of them now because they're both doing well. I've always said I don't enjoy matches when they play each other, but I decide who I'd "prefer" to win depending on the situation.

Now find me a Fedaltard that liked both players before they were at the top of the game. kthanxbye :wavey: :smooch:

i think what i'll find is that you're going to be digging deep to find crap differences :D roger and rafa come from different "tennis" generations so roger was already a top player before someone could add on rafa. that's not the case for muzza and rafa.

but save the next useless argument for my thread please. kthanxbye :wavey: :smooch:

adee-gee
04-10-2009, 02:55 PM
roger and rafa come from different "tennis" generations
:lol: ......right :hug:

scoobs
04-10-2009, 03:00 PM
God it's getting like WTA World in here :o

Step to this, bitches :rocker2:

Bibberz
04-10-2009, 04:13 PM

RG is all I care about.

I understand this completely. I want Rafa to completely own the city of Paris for two weeks out of every year. Wimbledon does not compare at this point, and he'll have his chances at the USO.

Kind of true, but then I never saw any reason to fuss about the Fedaltards in the first place.

WTF?! Don't use small font for "just not as much as Rafa." This is the fucking Rafa Forum! :mad:

Co-sign everything. Except for the generalization about Rafatards/Fedtards--I wouldn't know.

Rafa and Andy are/were not direct rivals, I don't have any problem with someone that supports Federer+Murray or Djokovic+Murray etc. Fedaltards don't bother me much nowadays because Federer is about as much of a threat to the guys I support as Donald Young :D

:haha:

Bibberz
04-10-2009, 04:29 PM
The draw will come out at 10AM local time according to Rafa's website.

MONTE CARLO MASTERS SERIES (http://www.rafaelnadal.com/nadal/en/news/article/monte-carlo-masters-series)

ATP WORLD TOUR MASTERS 1000 MONTE CARLO, MONACO
Rafa facts at this tournament:
Last year, Rafa became just the second player in ATP Masters Series history (since 1990) to win both the singles and doubles editions of the same event.
The defending champion has accumulated a total of 4 consecutive singles titles: From 2005 to 2008.Date: 13th - 19th of April
Draw: 56 players
Format: Best of three sets
Surface: Clay
Draw of play: Will be revealed on Saturday 11th of April at 10:00am (local time).

RAFA GETS READY

Rafa Nadal has been at home in Manacor (Mallorca) since last Saturday where he has been resting and preparing for the toughest part of the season yet.

The world number one will be back on court today as part of his preparation for the beginning of the clay court season, which officially starts next Monday 13th of April at the Monte Carlo Masters Series tournament.

On Friday, Rafa will be travelling to the principality of Monaco where he plans to resume his training at the Monte Carlo Country Club courts that serve as the center stage for this important and prestigious tournament where Rafa has won 4 times before and where he is expected to debut on Tuesday or Wednesday.

On Saturday night, he will attend a party that celebrates the launch of the ‘Zelos tournament’ and on Sunday he will take part in a promotional act for the third Masters Series Event of the year.

http://www.rafaelnadal.com/nadal/en/news/article/monte-carlo-masters-series

acionescu
04-10-2009, 04:52 PM
[channeling scoobsy]and yet watch me make room :)[/channeling scoobsy]

More like channeling yourself :hug:

RG is all I care about.

So, Most of us = you :o :D

The only two times I allowed myself some hopes he lost to Seppi and DelP :mad: I think he's doing it on purpose to make us be humble :cool:

The draw will come out at 10AM local time according to Rafa's website.

Why so late? :( Damn rich people who wanted to escape the taxes Monegasques!

M.C.
04-11-2009, 01:00 AM
win

Bibberz
04-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Singles Draw:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atpworldtour.com/1/posting/2009/410/mds.pdf

:p

cmurray
04-11-2009, 01:18 PM
shit. Metis, put me down for the win. :scared:

tennizen
04-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Wow, the draw is scary. I am bery nerbous.

TMJordan
04-11-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm not gonna forget to do this.

winner winner winner :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

cmurray
04-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Wow, the draw is scary. I am bery nerbous.

:bigcry: me too, Hema.

wildegirl05
04-11-2009, 03:06 PM
shit. Metis, put me down for the win. :scared:

:bigcry: me too, Hema.

:scratch:

if you pick win when you're nervous and scared, what would you pick if you were confident? :eek: :unsure: :unsure:

MariaV
04-11-2009, 03:57 PM
I am bery nerbous too, girls.
But I still pick WIN. :scared: :unsure:

MariaV
04-11-2009, 03:59 PM
:scratch:

if you pick win when you're nervous and scared, what would you pick if you were confident? :eek: :unsure: :unsure:

:scratch: Are Nadal fans (fangirls) ever confident? :o :o :o

NaDALiTa
04-11-2009, 04:37 PM
MIT prediction: WIN! :)

acionescu
04-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Singles Draw:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atpworldtour.com/1/posting/2009/410/mds.pdf

You couldn't post the draw p[roperly, couldn't you? :(

Lazy, lazy thread opener :smash:

I'm not gonna forget to do this.

winner winner winner :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

jinxer jinxer jinxer :ras: :ras: :ras:

Are Nadal fans (fangirls) ever confident?

NO. My prediction = SF :unsure:

-Evita-
04-11-2009, 07:22 PM
I predict that he will win this tournament. If he doesn't I'll have no choice but to regard myself as a jinxer :(

Aurora
04-11-2009, 07:59 PM
allez, a win :D

shawshank
04-11-2009, 08:29 PM
I hate this draw but I will stil go with a win.
It's time for Rafa to play in his kingdom.
Clay rocks ;)

born_on_clay
04-11-2009, 08:35 PM
a nice win :)

Minn
04-11-2009, 08:41 PM
I predict that he will win this tournament. If he doesn't I'll have no choice but to regard myself as a jinxer :( I already predicted he'll win. If he doesn't, I'll have no choice but to regard myself as a person who chose wrong. :lol: :hug:

(I'm not into this jinxing stuff and I don't think you are really either, Evita.)

Edit: Just to clarify, when I use :hug: I mean it.

wilmar
04-12-2009, 12:43 AM
I predict a win for Rafa too! Vamos Rafa!

Metis
04-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Vamos :bibcry: :rocker2:

How far will Rafa go in Monte Carlo? (1000 points up for grabs)

1st - Bye
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
QF - wildegirl05
SF - acionescu, l_mac, tennizen
F -
W - :bibcry:, adee-gee, Aurora, born on clay, cmurray, DERO, Evita, Foxy, JolanGago, Laba, LinkMage, M.C., MariaV, Minn, NaDALiTa, nashty, scarecrows, shawshank, SnooFoo, TMJordan, Troickitard, wilmar

I am thinking of picking WIN. I want to test the power of the Metis FAIL on clay. I wonder what people are willing to offer so that I don't do that. :p :D

Naina
04-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Win Win Win :)

Bibberz
04-12-2009, 10:00 AM
You couldn't post the draw p[roperly, couldn't you? :(

Are you afraid to install Adobe Acrobat? It's a really useful program. :D

[1] NADAL, Rafael ESP vs BYE
KUNITSYN, Igor RUS vs CHELA, Juan Ignacio ARG
SAFIN, Marat RUS vs [WC] HEWITT, Lleyton AUS
QUALIFIER vs [15] STEPANEK, Radek CZE
[9] MONFILS, Gael FRA vs TIPSAREVIC, Janko SRB
SODERLING, Robin SWE vs BOLELLI, Simone ITA
QUALIFIER vs [WC] LJUBICIC, Ivan CRO
BYE vs [5] DEL POTRO, Juan Martin ARG

[4] MURRAY, Andy GBR vs BYE
HANESCU, Victor ROU vs QUALIFIER
QUALIFIER vs BERDYCH, Tomas CZE
QUALIFIER vs [14] CILIC, Marin CRO
[12] NALBANDIAN, David ARG vs MATHIEU, Paul-Henri FRA
ACASUSO, Jose ARG vs GRANOLLERS, Marcel ESP
KARLOVIC, Ivo CRO vs SERRA, Florent FRA
BYE vs [8] DAVYDENKO, Nikolay RUS

[7] VERDASCO, Fernando ESP vs BYE
GULBIS, Ernests LAT vs KOHLSCHREIBER, Philipp GER
GICQUEL, Marc FRA vs SCHWANK, Eduardo ARG
LOPEZ, Feliciano ESP vs [10] FERRER, David ESP
[16] ALMAGRO, Nicolas ESP vs MONTANES, Albert ESP
[WC] LISNARD, Jean-Rene MON vs ROCHUS, Christophe BEL
BENNETEAU, Julien FRA vs QUALIFIER
BYE vs [3] DJOKOVIC, Novak SRB

[6] SIMON, Gilles FRA vs BYE
QUALIFIER vs KIEFER, Nicolas GER
CHARDY, Jeremy FRA vs MONACO, Juan ARG
SCHUETTLER, Rainer GER vs [11] ROBREDO, Tommy ESP
[13] WAWRINKA, Stanislas SUI vs TROICKI, Viktor SRB
ANDREEV, Igor RUS vs VASSALLO ARGUELLO, Martin ARG
SEPPI, Andreas ITA vs MELZER, Jurgen AUT
BYE vs [2, WC] FEDERER, Roger SUI

acionescu
04-12-2009, 11:00 AM
I have Adobe, the tradition says that the draw must be posted as the OOP's :shrug:
And I don't like to access links :(

Does he play doubles? :unsure:

Bibberz
04-12-2009, 11:14 AM
I have Adobe, the tradition says that the draw must be posted as the OOP's :shrug:

Did Tappy do that? I just want to be slightly more competent than her. :dance:

Does he play doubles? :unsure:Nope. :D

Bibberz
04-12-2009, 11:43 AM
LDDXYSE6ndc

This video is actually several days old. This may have surfaced in the chat thread or somewhere else. Whatever.

Thank Christ there were captions, as Rafa speaks way too fast for me. I translated it myself :unsure:, but I'm pretty confident because it was written VERY plainly.

Rafa:

I’m happy with everything. The important principle is to remain calm throughout the entire (clay) season.

I want to start Monte Carlo playing my best, and (if I do this) I will have the chance to get good results. I won the last four years, but you never know what will happen this time.

Barcelona is one of the best clay court tournaments and it is very historical. I’m playing for something more than points or the title itself; I’m playing where many of the great players of history have played.

At the very end Rafa says--EDIT: Read Andreea's post below. :D
Nothing the reporter said was very significant--just basic stuff about what Rafa is trying to achieve during the clay court season. There was the one bit where he talked over some trainer treating Rafa's hands. All he really said was that Rafa has to watch out for blisters because he's played so many high-level matches. :p

EDIT: I've googled for English articles on Rafa, but they all seem to focus on Roger Vavrinec. :rolleyes:

acionescu
04-12-2009, 11:51 AM
He says: I'm waiting for you/I'm expecting you in Godo. Godo is Conde de Godo-The Barcelona tennis tournement that is gonna be broadcast by IB3 - The Catalan TV from which you got the clip. So it';s something like an ad for the tournement.

Bibberz
04-12-2009, 11:58 AM
He says: I'm waiting for you/I'm expecting you in Godo. Godo is Conde de Godo-The Barcelona tennis tournement that is gonna be broadcast by IB3 - The Catalan TV from which you got the clip. So it';s something like an ad for the tournement.

I didn't know whether he was using "esperar" to mean "hope" or "wait." I decided it wasn't "wait" because he wasn't actually in Barcelona. I did not know about "expect." :lol: I'm sure you're right. Thanks. :hatoff:

Minn
04-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Thank you, BD and Andreea. I appreciate the translations.

Invisible
04-12-2009, 12:47 PM
My prediction is WIN!!

acionescu
04-12-2009, 01:58 PM
I didn't know whether he was using "esperar" to mean "hope" or "wait." I decided it wasn't "wait" because he wasn't actually in Barcelona. I did not know about "expect." :lol: I'm sure you're right. Thanks. :hatoff:

[showing off]If he had said "espero que" would have ment I hope[/showing off]

l_mac
04-12-2009, 02:14 PM
meant not ment

acionescu
04-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Showing off your mother tongue? :lol:

Foxy
04-12-2009, 07:05 PM
I am very glad I do NOT see Rafa in the doubles draw. Finally maybe he realised it is not worth playing doubles on clay. Well done, mate. I will sleep well these days/weeks.

Diorelli
04-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Put me for WIN please although I'm very wary of Delpo and Mooree on his draw.

l_mac
04-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Showing off your mother tongue? :lol:

Showing off in your mother tongue?

:dance:

-Evita-
04-12-2009, 11:01 PM
I already predicted he'll win. If he doesn't, I'll have no choice but to regard myself as a person who chose wrong. :lol: :hug:

(I'm not into this jinxing stuff and I don't think you are really either, Evita.)

Edit: Just to clarify, when I use :hug: I mean it.

It's just that for every tournament he's played this year I've predicted either SF or WIN, and I've got it wrong every time. At some point it stops being a coincidence and starts being a jinx :( :hug:

Minn
04-13-2009, 01:14 AM
The others are getting in your head, Evita. Be strong! ;) No, I know what you mean and can understand that. Let's hope you're not wrong this time!

Bibberz
04-13-2009, 01:17 AM
Clip from the players' party. Rafa, Nando, Feli, and Djokovic (:scared:) appear.

This video was really choppy for me for some reason. However, since no one on Youtube boatched about it, I'll assume it was just my computer.

u29D0gRSLv4

Bibberz
04-13-2009, 01:49 AM
Rafa recently played a little exhibition with Muzza in front of Monaco's palace. :D

Most of the articles that covered the exhibition were pretty insubstantial. I'll just cut and paste the relevant parts. :p

ATP World Tour Champion Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray opposed one another in a special tennis exhibition in front of the Prince’s Palace of Monaco to promote the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters, the third ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament of the 2009 ATP World Tour season, on Sunday.

His Serene Highness Prince Albert II of Monaco and hundreds of spectators watched Nadal, the four-time defending Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters champion, and World No. 4 Murray outside the official residence of the Prince of Monaco. It was the first time that tennis had been played in front of the Prince’s Palace.

Nadal won the first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament of the 2009 ATP World Tour season at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells last month, beating Murray in the final. The Scot went on to capture his third ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title at the Sony Ericsson Open trophy in Miami last week.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/1/en/news/newsarticle_3072.asp

Nadal, the 'King of Clay', and Murray played a pat-ball exhibition outside the gates of the royal palace on Sunday, with Prince Albert II looking on. In the principality, Albert is the prince, but there is little doubt over who is the king at the Country Club.

Most of the Easter Sunday afternoon strollers would have been expecting to just see the changing-of-the-guard ceremony on top of the rock, not to have come across Murray and Nadal playing some casual tennis on a half-size court made of a matted surface.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/5145594/Andy-Murray-Roger-Federer-and-Rafael-Nadal-in-Monaco-mix.html

cmurray
04-13-2009, 02:11 AM
Why is Prince Albert a Serene Highness? Is he really serene or did he just like that word better than his Royal Highness or his Supreme Highness or his Pontificating Highness :scratch:

Aristocracy is so weird. :lol:

rafa_maniac
04-13-2009, 08:40 AM
This new RafiGOAT is good, so I go for WIN :rocker2:

Bibberz
04-14-2009, 03:29 AM
Rafael Nadal feeling 'no pressure' as clay-court season starts in Monte Carlo

The Spaniard, who lifted his maiden Australian Open title in January and will aim to win his fifth consecutive title at the French tournament, begins his clay-court campaign against Argentine Juan Chela.

Dubbed 'the King of Clay', when asked if he felt any pressure, Nadal said: "No. Maybe less than ever because I won in Australia and I won in Indian Wells.

"I started this year better than ever. That gives me more calm than previous years."

Looking forward to playing on a different surface the 22-year-old, who has a 4-1 record against Chela, said that however relaxed he felt he would not underestimate his opponent.

"Coming back on clay is always special [but] Chela is a good clay-court player and I have to play good tennis if I want to have good chances to win.

"[I need to] try to play aggressive without a lot of mistakes."

The winner of eight Masters titles on clay in the last four years said that even at his advanced level, re-adjustment was something he had to deal with every year.

"In the last years I had very good results on clay," he said. "But I only play three, four tournaments every year on it.

"The rest of the year I play on hard. It's always a change to adapt to clay, I need some days. If I find my best performance I’m gonna have chances to have good results.

"I am excited to start to play on clay, trying to play good matches again [but] I have to be 100 per cent ready mentally and physically."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/rafaelnadal/5148948/Rafael-Nadal-feeling-no-pressure-as-clay-court-season-starts-in-Monte-Carlo.html

:p

finishingmove
04-14-2009, 05:10 AM
no pression is good, no?

my prediction : Win.

finishingmove
04-14-2009, 05:12 AM
that video is really choppy for me as well. and the audio is running late.

Elena.
04-14-2009, 08:29 AM
prediction: Win

Doomach777
04-14-2009, 08:35 AM
think chela will win...

xD

born_on_clay
04-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Rafa 6:2 6:3

Jachalator
04-14-2009, 03:44 PM
champion 4 me :)

Aenea
04-14-2009, 05:24 PM
OOP Wednesday April, 15

COURT CENTRAL
Matches Start At: 10:30 AM

Fernando VERDASCO vs Philipp KOHLSCHREIBER
followed by
Andreas SEPPI vs Roger FEDERER
followed by
Rafael NADAL vs Juan Ignacio CHELA

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2009/410/op.pdf

Put me down for Champion, Metis :D

Good luck tomorrow, Rafa :inlove:

star
04-15-2009, 12:50 AM
MIT

Win!

Almost didn't get this in on time. :o

tangerine_dream
04-15-2009, 01:06 AM
Put me down for the win, Metis.

Metis
04-15-2009, 09:08 AM
Update!

1st - Bye
2nd - Doomach777
3rd -
QF - wildegirl05
F - Metis
W - :bibcry:, adee-gee, Aenea, Aurora, born on clay, cmurray, DERO, Diorelli, Evita, Foxy, finishingmove, Getta, Invisible, Jachalator, JolanGago, Laba, Lena71, LinkMage, M.C., MariaV, Minn, NaDALiTa, Naina, nashty, rafa maniac, scarecrows, shawshank, SnooFoo, star, tangerine dream, TMJordan, Troickitard, wilmar

Getta
04-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Winner

cmurray
04-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Metis, you didn't pick winner. :hug: You're a good girl.

Metis
04-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Metis, you didn't pick winner. :hug: You're a good girl.

Well, my thinking was: if Rafa reaches the final and wins, there will be no FAIL if nobody picks F and we don't want that to happen; if he loses, then I'll get all the glory. :sport:

Metis
04-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Nadal-Chela 6-2 6-3 :shrug:

1st - Bye
2nd - Doomach777
3rd -
QF - wildegirl05
F - Metis
W - :bibcry:, adee-gee, Aenea, Aurora, born on clay, cmurray, DERO, Diorelli, Evita, Foxy, finishingmove, Getta, Invisible, Jachalator, JolanGago, Laba, Lena71, LinkMage, M.C., MariaV, Minn, NaDALiTa, Naina, nashty, rafa maniac, scarecrows, shawshank, SnooFoo, star, tangerine dream, TMJordan, Troickitard, wilmar

Doomach777, you're new in MTF and it seems your clay education is lacking. :p

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/fail-owned-school-sign-fail.jpg?w=500&h=373

l_mac
04-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Did I pick SF? :confused:

Hmm.

Foxy
04-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Any comments on the match?
As much as I managed to see from work Rafa's serve sucked bad. Some DF and missed smash. The ground game was mostly OK but Chela managed to blast some vicious winners. I hope they deliver finally Rafa's head which is lost somewhere in USA... :) :haha:

Bibberz
04-15-2009, 01:58 PM
I feel obligated to post the match stats even though they are fairly :sobbing:.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj60/bachelordandy/rafachela.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj60/bachelordandy/rafachela2.jpg

l_mac
04-15-2009, 02:07 PM
BD, where is Rafa's pre tournament presser? :confused:

Bibberz
04-15-2009, 02:12 PM
BD, where is Rafa's pre tournament presser? :confused:

:o I looked yesterday when I saw someone had posted a Fed interview somewhere. My eyes must be failing. Thanks for the heads up. :hatoff:

Monday, 13 April, 2009

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Not much time to rest since Miami. How do you feel? You were seemingly very tired after Miami. How do you feel now?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I think very well, no? I was coming back to, yeah, one of my favorite tournaments, if not the favorite. Is always a special place, playing in this tournament. The few days in Mallorca with the friends and family was really good for me.

I had some days off, and later some practice. Yeah, everything was perfect. And am very happy to be here. Everything perfect coming back to Monte Carlo.

Q. How quickly do you adapt? Clay is your best surface. Do you feel the first hour you hit very comfortable?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no. Sure no. Clay, yeah, the last years I had very good results on clay. But I only play three, four tournaments every year, no? So the rest of the year I play on hard. So always is a change to adapt to clay. I need some days.

Q. What is the most difficult part of adapting to clay?
RAFAEL NADAL: Everything, no? I think the movement is important. The slide another time. Sure, the strategy, no? You have to play with more control, playing more inside, more outside, of course. You have to move more inside and outside. You have to play more angles. Everything change, no?

But the important thing is have some matches, no? When you have some matches, you have your routine.

Q. Does the movement, sliding, come naturally to you again?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no. I told you, no? Is important thing, slide another time, everything. The movement is the tougher thing, no? I think to play good on clay, you have to move well. If you don't slide, is very difficult.

Q. What do you remember of the match you played against Albert Costa here many years ago?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, it was one of my big first wins, no? So, yeah, was a really nice memory, no? This tournament always was special for me and I think for everybody, no, because is historic tournament. Best players of the history played here and won here. So always come back to here in this city, this important city in the world.

Yeah, I think very important and very nice for the players, and that's important for the tennis, have one big tournament here.

Q. You're playing Chela after tomorrow. What can you say about him?

RAFAEL NADAL: Chela is a good clay court player. I have to play good
tennis if I want to have chances to win. That's what I gonna try, no? Gonna try to play aggressive without having a lot of mistakes, because he not gonna have mistakes. That's what I have to try.

Q. Are you still planning to play four clay events in five weeks or are you now thinking about Madrid?

RAFAEL NADAL: You never know, no? You never know. Always depends of the results. But, no, my normal schedule is these four. But you never know what's going on.

Q. Is it special for you coming here being No. 1 in the world on your best surface? Is it different?

RAFAEL NADAL: Is the same like last year. Every year is the same, no? Always come back to clay is special. I told 100 times, no, for me doesn't matter be No. 1, No. 2. I am not more happy right now than the last year coming here be No. 1 or be No. 2. I no thinking about all the day if I
No. 1 or No. 3, no?

I think about play my best tennis, try to play my tennis here on clay. If I find my best performance I gonna have chances to have good results. The goals, be No. 1, be No. 2 are the same.

Q. Do you feel a lot of pressure when the clay court season starts?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. Maybe less than ever because I won in Australia, I won in Indian Wells. I started the season better than ever. That's give me more calm than the last years, no?

In the end, the mistake is thinking you have to repeat the same like last four years, no? But I never thought about that, no one year, to repeat like the year before.

So for me the only important thing is think about first round. I am thinking about the match against Chela. Hope to play well. That's what I think. You start to think you have to defend, the pressure, you have to repeat the year, is impossible to play like this, no?

I am No. 1 on the race now. One thousand points difference between Murray and me. That's the important thing for me. I looking at that. I never arrive to the clay season with this difference. I have to try to play my best tennis.

Q. In your idea, between Djokovic and Murray, which one is stronger on clay, have more things on clay?

RAFAEL NADAL: Last few years was Djokovic because he won in Rome, semifinals here, semifinals Hamburg, semifinals Roland Garros two years.

Q. What about in your idea?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I don't know. We have to see because Murray didn't arrive to the clay season with this level, no, playing like this. So I am sure Murray gonna play good on clay.

Q. For the last three or four years, Roger Federer has been the closest player to you on clay. Do you expect him to do the same this year?

RAFAEL NADAL: I would love, yeah.

Q. But you think he would be closer than anyone else?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know if I gonna be the first one. I don't know that, so I can't know if Roger gonna be the closer to me. Maybe he gonna be better than me. You never know that.

Q. Do you think there is a problem for Roger Federer during the first part of the year? We saw him crying. He broke a racquet. Do you think there is a problem with him?

RAFAEL NADAL: A semifinal, two semifinals in Masters Series is very good results.

But I think doesn't matter if he break a racquet in Miami. I think everybody talks about this. But in the end is only a thing, small thing. A lot of people broke a lot of racquets on the tennis court, no? So one time doesn't matter.

I am sure he's confident to start another year the clay court season and I think he start the season very well. The only thing is he didn't win a title, but the results are very good.

Q. Did you call him to send your congratulations for his marriage?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. I congratulate him because he gonna be a father. But for that not yet. For true, I didn't know. I know yesterday.

Q. Do you remember when you broke a racquet yourself last time? Have you by any chance also gotten married the last weekend?

RAFAEL NADAL: I never broke a racquet. That's the first thing. You never know in the future. Hopefully not.

And, yes, I am thinking about that, be married and be father right now for the next years (smiling).

http://montecarlo.masters-series.com/2/en/players/interviews/stories/09_nadal2.asp

tennizen
04-15-2009, 02:43 PM
I would love to see a video when he is saying that last line:D

l_mac
04-15-2009, 02:45 PM
I would love to see a video when he is saying that last line:D

OFA662kXKkE

:hatoff:

Need to be fast, BD.

edit: You don't really deserve this, Hema. But I like to show BD how he should be doing it :cool:

tennizen
04-15-2009, 02:47 PM
OFA662kXKkE

:hatoff:

Need to be fast, BD.

:worship:

That was too cute:lol:

Edit: I take one :worship: back because of your edit:ras:

Johnny Groove
04-15-2009, 03:23 PM
What's this I hear about him not playing with the knee straps? Great to see, but he's had them in every match since Wimbledon 07. Probably a good thing, I'd imagine.

tennizen
04-15-2009, 03:25 PM
What's this I hear about him not playing with the knee straps? Great to see, but he's had them in every match since Wimbledon 07. Probably a good thing, I'd imagine.

If I remember correctly, he didn't have the knee straps last clay season as well. I don't think he needs them on clay.

cmurray
04-15-2009, 03:45 PM
I bet he'll have the straps on in his next match. Last year, he took the tapes off for a match or two, then had them reapplied later.

l_mac
04-15-2009, 03:49 PM
If I remember correctly, he didn't have the knee straps last clay season as well. I don't think he needs them on clay.

I'm pretty sure he only didn't wear them in the Ferrer or Ferrero match in MC last year.

The rest of the time they were on.

l_mac
04-15-2009, 03:50 PM
I bet he'll have the straps on in his next match. Last year, he took the tapes off for a match or two, then had them reapplied later.

Differently from last year he has been practising consistently without tapes since he lost in Miami. He's lost a lot of weight, probbaly so the knees can manage without the straps for a while. He is very thin :awww:

l_mac
04-15-2009, 04:07 PM
THURSDAY, 16 APRIL, 2009

COURT CENTRAL start 10:30 am
[7] F Verdasco (ESP) vs [10] D Ferrer (ESP)
[13] S Wawrinka (SUI) vs [2] [WC] R Federer (SUI)
[1] R Nadal (ESP) vs M Safin (RUS) or [Q] N Lapentti (ECU)
[4] A Murray (GBR) vs [Q] F Fognini (ITA)
M Cilic (CRO) / N Kiefer (GER) vs [WC] M Gicquel (FRA) / P Mathieu (FRA) or [2] D Nestor (CAN) / N Zimonjic (SRB)

COURT DES PRINCES start 10:30 am
[Q] A Beck (GER) vs J Monaco (ARG)
A Montanes (ESP) vs [3] N Djokovic (SRB)
S Bolelli (ITA) vs [WC] I Ljubicic (CRO) or [5] J Del Potro (ARG)
[12] D Nalbandian (ARG) vs [8] N Davydenko (RUS)

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2009/410/op.pdf

cmurray
04-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Differently from last year he has been practising consistently without tapes since he lost in Miami. He's lost a lot of weight, probbaly so the knees can manage without the straps for a while. He is very thin :awww:

I know. And when you consider that the camera adds 10 or 15 punds... :sad:

Bibberz
04-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Lapentti is one of the few players on tour who has a winning record against Rafa on clay. :armed:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj60/bachelordandy/lapentti.jpg

Bibberz
04-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Some post-match quotes here:

Nadal up and running

The Spaniard, current holder of all the Grand Slam titles except the US Open, saw off his Argentinian opponent in 86 minutes.

Nadal failed to find his best form but raised his game at the crucial junctures as he eased his way back into the rhythm of his favourite surface.

The 21-year-old, chasing a fifth successive title in the principality, set up a third-round meeting with Nicolas Lapentti.

"I played some games well. I played some terrible games. Up and down all the match," Nadal said.

"But I think it was a comfortable win. I was never scared of losing. Sometimes, things like this happen. I will try and not repeat these mistakes in the next match."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12110_5191946,00.html

Johnny Groove
04-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Time to avenge a loss from when he was 17 :yeah: :lol:

It was a third set breaker too, so maybe Nico will give him a good fight :cool:

Aenea
04-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Lapentti is one of the few players on tour who has a winning record against Rafa on clay. :armed:

Nico played babyRafa back then and he still took a set off of him :lol: yeah Nico must be tired a lot but he'll put up a fight tomorrow
Go, Rafa http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-gen013.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

l_mac
04-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Wednesday, 15 April 2009

R. NADAL/J. Chela
6-2, 6-3

An interview with: RAFAEL NADAL

Q. What happened when you lost 11 points in a row in the first set?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, well, I understand the match very well. I play some game wells. I did some terrible games. In the beginning of the second, after two games, really bad. Yeah, up and down during all the match.
Yeah, I have to improve the concentration in the next match. That's the important thing.

Q. Is it just a matter of not having played on clay or not having played a match in a while?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I don't know. You can think (smiling). I don't know.

Q. Do you think people maybe expect you to always be perfect?
RAFAEL NADAL: No. I think I never thought I am perfect. I think the people think the same as me, I'm not perfect.
I won anyway. I won 6 2, 6 3 against Chela. He's really not a bad player on clay. Is a good start because I was all the time in front on the score.
Yeah, I think was a comfortable win. Anyway, I have some tough moments during the match. But, no, in the end wasn't the moments where I was scared for the victory, no?

Q. You don't play anymore with the straps on the knees?
RAFAEL NADAL: You never know. Maybe tomorrow I gonna put another time. We think about to take out for a while. We gonna see what's happen. So for the moment it's okay. So I happy for that.

Q. Do you remember when it was when you played without them the last time?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I think last year here I played without against Ferrer. And before I don't know. One year.

Q. Does it make a difference?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I have to try more matches than one, no?

Q. How important is it for you to set the tone here in Monte Carlo for the rest of the clay court season?
RAFAEL NADAL: Every tournament is completely different, no? So sure the important thing is the tournament. I think, sure, is important to try to start well, to have the confidence for the rest of the clay season. But the important thing is the tournament. Is really important tournament for me. Monte Carlo is historic tournament. I would like to play good tennis and have a good result here.
But if not, I gonna go to maybe Barcelona next week and try my best another time, so...

Q. How do you explain this lapse in concentration in this match?
RAFAEL NADAL: I said one question ago, I don't know. Yeah, I played some up and down during all the match. Sometimes happen something like this. Trying to don't repeat for next match.

Q. What is your opinion on Murray's game on clay? What do you think he can do on clay? :rolleyes:
RAFAEL NADAL: I didn't see him yesterday. But, anyway, when one player have good results on the rest of the surfaces, he's gonna do very good results on clay, too. No question about that.

Q. Could you speak about your training routine off the court. What kind of things do you do? Do you do cycling or running?
RAFAEL NADAL: Today?

Q. No. Off the court when you're training, what is your sports training routine?
RAFAEL NADAL: Not much. No, not a lot of things. I run enough on court. Outside sometimes I do some bicycle. But not a lot of things, yeah.

http://montecarlo.masters-series.com/2/en/players/interviews/stories/09_nadal4.asp

I was right about the only time he didn't wear the tapes last season. Never doubt me :sport:

Xristos
04-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Put me down for Win please.

Manila ESQ
04-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Has the match started already?

Metis
04-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Put me down for Win please.

too late :p

tangerine_dream
04-17-2009, 04:35 PM
:wavey: Can somebody please point me to any quote or story that mentions Rafa's weight loss?

Metis
04-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Nadal-Lapentti 6-3 6-0

Nadal-Ljubicic 6-3 6-3

:yeah:

1st - Bye
2nd - Doomach777
3rd -
QF - wildegirl05
F - Metis

wildegirl05: you finally got your wish; a FAIL just for you :hug:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/virgo0921/9781888960808.jpg?t=1239972744 (javascript:void(0);)

Metis
04-17-2009, 04:37 PM
tangy your avatar :rolls:

Bibberz
04-17-2009, 04:57 PM
I was looking for match reports when I stumbled across this article:

Austrian tennis nobody works with Rafael Nadal

By Thomas Hochwarter

An Austrian tennis underdog has his head in the clouds after having had the honour of being sparring partner for Rafael Nadal, the world’s number-one ranked player.

Salzburg-based Nico Reissig, 696th in the ATP rankings, played with Spaniard Nadal in Monacor, Mallorca, for one week.

Reissig told Austrian newspaper Kurier: "My father Gabriel comes from Uruguay. He played with Rafa’s uncle (and coach) Toni in the old days – that is the reason why he organised the training partnership.

"But I had already played with Rafa last year," Reissig added.

The 20-year-old, who is fluent in Spanish ("We speak only Spanish in my family"), proudly revealed: "I was able to play on his level when I worked with him. :rolleyes:

That, however, was not the reason why Nadal was in a "bad mood all the time", according to Reissig: "He had blisters on the palms of his hands. Normally, he’s a friendly guy." :sad:

http://austriantimes.at/index.php?id=12618

Bibberz
04-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Last game of the Rafa-Ljubicic match:

jzUbXuOpmus

Rafa does look skinnier. :o

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3418/rafaskinny2.jpg

kaylee
04-17-2009, 07:46 PM
The thinner you are the faster you run!

tangerine_dream
04-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Muzzcakes next.

No mercy, Rafa. :devil:

l_mac
04-18-2009, 12:32 AM
Friday, 17 April 2009

R. NADAL/N. Lapentti
6-3, 6-0

Q. A tough day. Can you talk about both the matches from your perspective.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, tough day but two good wins without lose a set. That is good news. Best news I am in semifinals. So very happy for that.

Q. How do you turn around when you have to play twice in a day? Is it tough to concentrate? Are you physically tired?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I think I play less than three hours, so that's always important. No, mentally nothing. Just go on court, try to play my best. Important thing I didn't have a very long match the first one, so I was totally hundred percent to play the second. That's important, yeah. If I had to play three hours the first match, gonna be tougher the second.

Q. Does it help your rhythm for the second match that you have already played one match in the day?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, the first match I started bad, but I finish the match better than I start. And the second match, maybe even had a lot of mistakes. So, yeah, I was there without do too much. But the feeling was better.
Is important thing, I finished the day better than I start.

Q. Do you feel like your feelings on clay are back yet, on this surface?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know, no? My feeling is I didn't play my level on clay yet. I didn't play my best level on clay yet. So I have to improve if I want to have chances to win the tournament. I am sure on that, no.

Q. What do you have to improve?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, everything. Have to play a little bit more inside, less mistakes, serve a little bit better. I think all aspects of the game I have to improve. But I hope tomorrow gonna be better.

Q. Tomorrow if you have to play against Murray, you played him on clay last year in Hamburg. The way he improved his game, do you think he could be more dangerous than he was in Hamburg last year?
RAFAEL NADAL: Every player is dangerous. We are talking about the No. 4, with chances to be third because he don't have to defend a lot in the next weeks. So, yeah, always is a really tough match. The first thing, no, you can't be in semifinals of one big tournament like Monte Carlo and have an easy match. That's impossible.

Q. Were you surprised by the win from Wawrinka yesterday?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I didn't surprise. Wawrinka is a very good player. Maybe Roger didn't play his best level. Wawrinka was there and playing good tennis.
Every match is tough. If you are not playing your hundred percent, you can lose against everybody.

Q. Can you talk about Davydenko in case he wins.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, no, Davydenko I know well. I played in semifinals against him here last year. I played against him in 2007, I think semifinals, very long semifinals, in Rome. So always is tough match. Is very good clay court player. I have to play very well if I want to win.

http://montecarlo.masters-series.com/2/en/players/interviews/stories/09_nadal6.asp

I'm too smart for the OS and ASAP.

wildegirl05
04-18-2009, 12:40 AM
Nadal-Lapentti 6-3 6-0

Nadal-Ljubicic 6-3 6-3

:yeah:

wildegirl05: you finally got your wish; a FAIL just for you :hug:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/virgo0921/9781888960808.jpg?t=1239972744 (javascript:void(0);)

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

metis, i feel the love :hug: :hearts:

star
04-18-2009, 01:44 AM

I'm glad you said this. I was thinking that he looked quite small -- esp around the waist and hips.

Very happy about the win today and :unsure: about tomorrow.

Aenea
04-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Muzzcakes next.

No mercy, Rafa. :devil:

Ditto ;)

Good luck baby and don't give Murray any chances. Vamos!:rocker2:

Xristos
04-18-2009, 09:00 AM
I was looking for match reports when I stumbled across this article:

What a lucky man.

JolánGagó
04-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Im a bit lost. Do you people think he was serious?
He can't be serious, this is bullshit!

And, yes, I am thinking about that, be married and be father right now for the next years (smiling).

Metis
04-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Nadal-Murray 6-2 7-6 :D

1st - Bye
2nd - Doomach777
3rd -
QF - wildegirl05
F - Metis

acionescu, l_mac, tennizen: that was an enjoyable FAIL :yeah: Don't forget to close the door on your way out :p

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/please-close-gate.jpg

star
04-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Oh, my. I watched the match on delay -- and I had to fast forward through the tiebreak because I was so very nervous with the way Murray began to attack, and then went back to watch it without going crazy. I know. I'm a :baby:

:bigclap: :bigclap:

Good luck tomorrow, Rafito.

But now I'm even more scared of Murray on clay. :(

Elora
04-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Yeah, it looks like Murray has improved a lot in clay..still he´s not same league than Rafa, though ;)

Im positive he´ll win tomorrow. Good luck, Rafa! :)

l_mac
04-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Rafa's presser :D

Saturday, 18 April 2009

R. NADAL/A. Murray
6-2, 7-6

Q. You were up 6 2, 5 2, then what happened? You lost four of five games. Was it because of him or you, or both?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I was playing very well. I think I had the match under control, playing well, playing with good tactic, too, I think good strategy. And, yeah, I thought my chance was in the 5 2. That was the moment for me. With the 5 3, yeah, I play a little bit shorter.
Well, Andy's amazing player, no? He has this ability of, when he needs, he can put it to a little more level. He did anyway. I have the match point at 5 3. I had one forehand to try to have the winner. I played so so, cross forehand, and later he has good drop. So, yeah, nothing to say. He play better.
I am very happy about my match. I play much better today than the other days. So that's a good match for the final. I'm very happy to be in this final. Very happy to beat Andy because always a very good player. Very tough.

Q. Did you feel he improved since the last time you played him on clay last year?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know if he improve on clay; he improve his level everywhere. That's the thing, no? Last year I play with him, I don't know what was his ranking. Wasn't top 10 I think.

Q. 11 or 12.
RAFAEL NADAL: Anyway, the ranking and the results are totally different, yeah.

Q. Can you talk about playing Novak.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, always is a very tough, tough match. He's a good player. I think he's playing well. He is having a very good tournament.
Sure, I have to play my best tennis if I want to have chances to win, no? So I gonna try to play aggressive and try my best. I know gonna be tough, but I expect play like today or a little bit better.

Q. Do you feel unbeatable here?
RAFAEL NADAL: No. Sure not.

Q. Not many people expected that Murray could play so well on clay. Maybe you did. What is your impression about him in terms of development of game? Can he adjust to clay so he can become your toughest opponent, as it was Federer until last year?
RAFAEL NADAL: A lot of players can play very well on clay. Andy's one of these players. And when one player have results, winning in Rotterdam, winning in Doha, winning in Miami...

Q. I'm talking about clay.
RAFAEL NADAL: Doesn't matter. If you are good player, you are good player in everywhere, no? In the end, everybody talks about my game wasn't good for Wimbledon, and I had three finals. So when you have a level, when you have a very good level, you can play at the best level in every surface. And Andy gonna do that for sure, yeah.
And sure, he gonna continuing improve on clay because he gonna win a lot of matches. When you are playing more matches and more matches, and you have more wins, you have more confidence, and you watch a little bit better how to play on this surface.
Is the first year when he arrives with this level, so sure he gonna has his chances in the future to win in Roland Garros. 'In the future'? In five weeks maybe, but sure in the future.

Q. You have won 30 sets in a row in Monaco. What does it mean to you?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I never thought about that, no? For me the only thing and important thing is I started the season, the clay season, well, playing the final here. Anyway, the result tomorrow is a very good start. I'm very happy for that. And happy today because improve my level more than 50% than the other days, no? That's very important for me.

Q. What was your strategy coming to the net against Murray? Before the match, what did you think about Murray?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I thought try to play with topspin, try to play long balls against his backhand, try to put him outside with my forehand and wait my moment to go inside.
I know he play sometimes three meters behind the line, have some dropshots. When I have the chance, go to the net.
But I think he play long. He play some high balls. So, yeah, was tough to attack because when the ball is coming soft and long and high, is really tough to have important shot, no?
So I think I was waiting all the time my moment. But I did well, yeah. That's what I think before the match, what I thought, no?

Q. Is it an advantage to have beaten Novak in Davis Cup recently on clay?
RAFAEL NADAL: A lot of things change from that moment. He's not the same player. Yeah, it was his second match on clay. Right now he having very good wins here. He has more matches on the shoulder. Gonna be totally different match, I am sure.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

born_on_clay
04-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Thank you for all the interviews
And keep going !

Aenea
04-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Rafa, well done for beating Andy ... again :D Good for confidence.

Good luck today in the final :kiss:

born_on_clay
04-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Vamos Rafa
Congratulations
34th title :)

l_mac
04-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Lucky one, Rafito :D

Aenea
04-19-2009, 03:52 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Congratulations on your 14th TMS and 5th MC title, Rafi :bigclap:

You're still the best :D

Metis
04-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Nadal-Djokovic 6-3 2-6 6-1 :woohoo:

1st - Bye
2nd - Doomach777
3rd -
QF - wildegirl05
F - Metis

Metis... NID :D FAIL is her business :sport:

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/sinkingship.jpg

:bibcry:, adee-gee, Aenea, Aurora, born on clay, cmurray, DERO, Diorelli, Evita, Foxy, finishingmove, Getta, Invisible, Jachalator, JolanGago, Laba, Lena71, LinkMage, M.C., MariaV, Minn, NaDALiTa, Naina, nashty, rafa maniac, scarecrows, shawshank, SnooFoo, star, tangerine dream, TMJordan, Troickitard, wilmar:

CONGRATS!!! :aparty: You have won:

http://www.msumavericks.com/clubs/baseball/images/main/1000win.JPG

star
04-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Awwww -- The look on Rafa's face when they played the national anthem while he held the winner's trophy was so sweet.

It was a really emotional match. Lots of drama. I was really worried and concerned for Rafa sometimes during the match, but in the third when he broke Djokovic early after being behind in the game, I began to really believe in him.

And as always there was such a contrast between his steely match demeanor and his lovely soft manner during the victory celebrations.

pica_pica
04-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Congratulations to Rafa for the 14th MS shield! What an achievement!!
I :hearts: the match thoroughly. Good try from Novak :) and of course :worship: to Rafito!!!

veyonce
04-20-2009, 01:05 AM
Rafa has still yet to find his top form on clay. His high looping shots just scares me especially when players like Murray & Djokovic can hit back returns like on hard courts. Oh, his serves too. Hope Rafa will find his form soon.

l_mac
04-20-2009, 01:06 AM
Congrats to BD for starting the thread :worship:

star
04-20-2009, 02:00 AM
Rafa has still yet to find his top form on clay. His high looping shots just scares me especially when players like Murray & Djokovic can hit back returns like on hard courts. Oh, his serves too. Hope Rafa will find his form soon.

I hought he was really struggling with his serve today. It was beginning to get on my nerves. I sort of relaxed when he won the first set even though the serve was off, but.... Anyway, he won, and I'm happy.

P.S. I loved what Nole said in his presser

Q. If it is so tough to win one set off of Nadal, how difficult is it to win possibly two or three?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: We are coming back again to the story of believing in yourself. I think there is where the key of playing him. You just have to be focused every single point because you have a player on the other side of the net that doesn't really give you any points. I mean, you could see him on 5 1 in the third set, he played like it's 5 All. He really doesn't care about the result. He just wants to give his best every single point. That's why he's very unique and that's why he's the best now.
So you probably will have to be physically really fit in the first place, because long rallies and long points are waiting for you. That's no secret.

tangerine_dream
04-20-2009, 02:23 AM
A record fifth MC title in a row, congrats to Rafa. :bigclap:

It's not enough that Rafa is becoming one of the most dominant players on clay ever and makes the Fedtards positively miserable and suicidal, but now we have get all kinds of clay heart symbolism thrown in for good measure, including that heart of dirt on his back. :lol:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2296/68693montecarlotennisma.jpg (http://img11.imageshack.us/my.php?image=68693montecarlotennisma.jpg)

A heart-shaped trophy (nice smile, Rafito).

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/295/captphoto12401742009731.jpg (http://img11.imageshack.us/my.php?image=captphoto12401742009731.jpg)

A heart-shaped Rafa. ;)

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7384/loveclay.jpg (http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?image=loveclay.jpg)

Bibberz
04-20-2009, 04:15 AM
Do you guys ever read BBC Sport's As it Happened recaps of matches? :D Some of the editorial texts are pretty :retard:, but they're still worth reading (when Rafa wins). They seem to have one for each grand slam and masters final.

I bolded the more memorable lines from the MC recap.

1604: "I really feel for Djokovic, this is probably the best he's played on clay with the exception of Rome 08 but still Rafa is the undisputed King of Clay."
From S via text on 81111

THIRD SET:

Nadal 6-1 Djokovic
The game is up for Djokovic - he plays a couple of wild backhands and soon falls 40-0 down. A big forehand out wide has Djokovic on the stretch and he finds the net, prompting Rafa to fall backwards onto the dirt in celebration.

It's a measure of Nadal's dominance that he has been pushed very hard today but still wins the final set 6-1 :rocker2:. Classy. See you in Rome in a week's time.

Nadal 5-1 Djokovic
Some nice work at the net gets Djokovic off to a good start in a game he surely must hold to have any chance, but Nadal careers across the court to wallop a backhand winner down the line for 15-15. Djokovic then finds the net, before drifting a drop shot way too short and it's 15-40. A double fault ends the game and Nadal is very close to title number five.

Nadal 4-1 Djokovic
Nadal whips a a forehand down the line for 40-0 and smacks down an ace, and that could be that. Or not.

Text in your views on 81111

1547: "As a big Federer fan, Novak needs to win to give hope to the rest of the tennis world. C'mon Nole." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
From Amrit in london via text on 81111

Nadal 3-1 Djokovic
For the first time in this set the level of intensity drops, and it's Djokovic who suffers. A tired backhand into the net sees him slip to 15-40. A big serve does the job on the first break point but a deep Nadal return on the second has Djokovic in all sorts of bother and he frames a forehand to hand back the break.

1541: "All these deuce games are pushing my nerves over the edge!!"
From Alice in Southampton via text on 81111

Nadal 2-1 Djokovic
Djokovic has a sniff of the break back at 30-30 but hammers a forehand into the net. Nadal then falters with a forehand of his own and for the third time in this set, we go to deuce. Some brilliant hitting sees Djokovic find an amazing backhand and Nadal respond with a huge forehand that the Serb leaves. At first glance it appears to have landed on the line but the umpire checks the mark and says "out", much to the Serb's relief. [I thought that hit the line too! :mad:] Break point.. and Nadal dominates with his forehand. A rare ace follows from the Spaniard, his first of the day, but he then sticks a regulation forehand into the net.

Djokovic then fires an off-forehand winner for break point but Nadal gets out of trouble with another good serve - it's been his saviour a few times here. Djokovic gets yet another break point, and this time Nadal goes long with a backhand. This is turning into a classic, but we're regularly blessed with those these days. Now, how to crowbar an 'Any which way but loose' reference into the next game...

Nadal 2-0 Djokovic
Nadal just misses with a cross-court backhand on the slide to fall 40-15 down, before Djokovic clips the tape with a mid-court forehand. A double-fault is exactly what the Serb does not need and we're back at deuce. Nadal hooks a forehand wide but Djokovic double-faults again. Another game point goes begging for the Serb when he just catches the top of the net with an attempted drop shot.

Someone is having a tantrum

The feeling grows that Djokovic will pay for these missed chances and Nadal earns a break point with a fantastic wrong-footing backhand pass down the line. Djokovic clips the tape again with a forehand and the ball leaps up and over the baseline. Djokovic smacks a ball into the blue sky and gets a code violation. Harsh.

Nadal 1-0 Djokovic
Nadal spins in a gentle second serve to start the set and Djokovic climbs all over it with a thumping backhand. A Nadal error follows and it's 0-30 but Djokovic cannot control a heavy topspin forehand on the next point, and another miss from the Serb sees us at 30-30. Nadal then misses the off-forehand for the umpteenth time today and it's break point....

... and contender number two for point of the season - Djokovic eventually moves in and plays a fabulous drop volley but Nadal incredibly chases it down a sneaks a winner across the Serb, who slumps to his knees with his head in his hands. If you know what I mean. :D

Someone is having a tantrum

Djokovic is up and about straight away though and forces another break point with some big forehands, but Nadal finds a big first serve. Both men are well and truly pumped now and this is a huge game. Deuce, and Djokovic slides in for a forehand volley but pushes it wide, turning and smashing his racquet into the dirt in pure frustration. Moments later, the world number three creams a forehand down the line for break point number three... but misses the return after a good Nadal serve, and the Spaniard eventually comes through with a fizzing forehand and a "Vamos!"

SECOND SET:

Nadal 2-6 Djokovic
Djokovic opens with a comforting first serve-winner combination but goes wide with a forehand on the second point. The Serb then runs around his backhand and hammers a forehand into the opposite corner, before walloping down an ace for 40-15. It's set point... and we get ace number four. Hugely impressive from Djokovic and Nadal drops his first set in Monte Carlo since 2006, I believe.

Nadal 2-5 Djokovic
Nadal gets back on track with a solid hold to 15 as Djokovic, possibly taking a breather, misses with a couple of attempted winners. Nadal hooks a top-drawer forehand down the line on game point and the pressure is on Djokovic to see this one out.

Nadal 1-5 Djokovic
Another brave sortie to the net pays dividends for Djokovic as he picks up a low backhand volley to move 40-30 up, and he follows it up with an even better half-volley pick-up from a rasping Nadal forehand.

Nadal 1-4 Djokovic
Nadal is definitely a bit low-key just at the moment, while Djokovic is bouncing around like a man who means business. The third seed arrows a forehand into the corner that Nadal cannot control at 30-30, and it's break point... a huge rally and Nadal clips the net at one point, cue a few gasps, before he fires a forehand over the baseline. Djokovic now has a double break and could actually win a set here. Day ain't over yet, though, as someone once said.

1442: "Come on rafa, we DONT want 3 sets! He hasnt dropped a set since 2006 at this tournament, he cant start now!"
From anon via text on 81111

1441: "You know, I'd quite like to see Rafa and Novak tumbling out of a barn covered in straw too ... "
From anon via text (Steady there, maybe get some air)

Nadal 1-3 Djokovic
Ugh. Djokovic works an opening and then tanks it to fall 15-40 down, but Nadal catches the net on the first break point and sprays a forehand wide on the second. The Spaniard makes up for it with one of his best shots of the week, a running forehand pass down the line, but Djokovic responds by attacking the net and punching away a backhand volley. The Serb eventually clinches a vital hold with a smash.

1432: "C'mon Novak, we want three sets!!"
From S via text on 81111

Nadal 1-2 Djokovic
Nadal stops the rot, although not without some difficulty. He misses with one easy put-away and Djokovic moves forward successfully to make it 40-30, but the champion holds on.

1429: "I'm a big boxing fan, and Nadal really does remind of a top level pressure fighter: Duran, but polite. Should get a The Bull or El Torro type nickname sorted."
From anon via txt on 81111

Nadal 0-2 Djokovic
This is bit like the bareknuckle fight at the end of that film with Clint Eastwood and the orangutan :haha:, every time you think it's over one of them gets back up and starts swinging again. I half expect to see Rafa and Novak tumbling out of a barn covered in straw and trying to land a punch. Anyway.... Djokovic consolidates the break with a mercifully straightforward hold, from his point of view.

1425: "Re. 1404, i've kept one tab open for the highlights and opened another tab for the live text. Ingenious."
From Harry, who should be revising, from bristol via text on 81111

Nadal 0-1 Djokovic
Another excellent lob brings Djokovic to 30-30, and leaves Nadal with a face like thunder, but the Serb then makes an error at the worst possible time. It's game point for Nadal but Djokovic does brilliantly to withstand a barrage at the net, taking it with a reflex backhand volley. Djokovic earns a break point and....

... well, I can't do that one justice. One of the best points you will ever see has both players all over every inch of the court, Djokovic producing a lob volley that Nadal incredibly chases down and recovers. The Serb holds his nerve and sticks away the smash, and we still have a match!

FIRST SET:

Nadal 6-3 Djokovic
A deepening gloom appears to be overtaking Djokovic as he falls 0-30 down, and despite getting back to level terms he stuffs a mid-court backhand into the net. Set point to Nadal... and Djokovic misses with a backhand. Shame, it was a limp end to a set that had started superbly.
A celeb has been spotted

A quick shot of the VIP area reveals numerous glamorous types who are almost certainly famous somewhere. The only one I recognise is motorbiker and Kevin Kline lookalike Max Biaggi, which is worth a graphic in my book.

Nadal 5-3 Djokovic
Djokovic is playing on and doesn't look to be hampered in any way, but we'll see... Nadal is not the man to be facing if you're a bit under the weather. The champion crunches away one forehand so hard there is a fearful gasp around the stadium. He holds to love.

1407: "I've always been a tennis fan, but the incredible performances the top four players, then again the top ten players are producing might just make this season the most competitive I can recall."
From Jose via text on 81111

1405: Bad news, Djokovic has the trainer on looking at his back and it's a medical time-out.

1404: "Im now stuck in the terrible dilemma of wanting to watch the highlights and yet wanting to refresh for the live text. What to do?"
From Tom via text on 81111

- Why not follow the live text but through squinted eyes, meaning you'll have a vague idea of what's going on but will probably be unable to see all my errors.

Nadal 4-3 Djokovic
Nadal makes a move to the net and angles away a volley before hooking a forehand pass across Djokovic for 15-40. The first break point goes begging when he misses with the return... and all credit to Djokovic, he brings his man in with a drop shot and then fashions the most accurate of cross-court backhands with Nadal all over the net. We then get a 'who can hit the sharpest angle' competition, which Nadal wins with a backhand, but Djokovic saves a third break point with a big second serve and follow-up forehand.

Nadal totally dominates the next rally and Djokovic is at the limit to scramble everything back before the Spaniard surprisingly misses with a forehand. A wayward Djokovic backhand gives Nadal a fourth chance to break, and a similar error hands over the break.

In the words of Brucie, 'good game, good game'.

1355: "It's always the thing with Nadal, it's not like his serve is 100% unbreakable, but by God he's good at breaking back. Pressure pressure pressure."
From Ryushinku on 606

Nadal 3-3 Djokovic
Djokovic shares a joke with a ballboy about something; Nadal looks like the Serb has just insulted his mother. :lol: The world number one responds with a brilliant scrambling smash before Djokovic hits back with a winner for 30-30. It's really good stuff at the moment - Nadal leaps on a short ball and fires an off-forehand into the corner before taking the game with a breathtaking cross-court backhand winner.

Rafael Nadal

Highlights: Nadal's thrilling Queen's win

1347: We have a non-football related text! In celebration, I will treat you to some highlights of last year's Queen's final between Nadal and Djokovic, which I thought was one of the best matches of the year.

1346: "My two favourite players playing each other, I don't know who to support. It's like the Queens final all over again!!"
From S via text on 81111

Nadal 2-3 Djokovic
Look out - two fizzing forehands suggest Nadal is a bit cheesed off about dropping serve twice in a row, and Djokovic then nets a forehand for 0-40. A wayward backhand on the stretch from the Serbian means his advantage lasts all of about three minutes.

Nadal 1-3 Djokovic
"Nope," says Djokovic, to himself as much as anyone, as he has no chance to reach a ball that flies past him thanks to a huge wrong-footing forehand by Nadal. The Spaniard then double-faults though, and a heavy topspin forehand from Djokovic produces an error on the Nadal backhand. It's break point again... and we get an epic rally that ends with Djokovic faltering, netting a forehand. Nadal is being made to work harder than usual here and he flattens a forehand into the net, so it's break point number two of the game... and we get an even more titanic (?) rally as Djokovic reads a drop shot and responds with a winning one of his own.

Nadal 1-2 Djokovic
Djokovic is in a bit of trouble at 15-30 but he's hitting well from the baseline, mixing things up a bit, and another Nadal errors brings it back to 30-30. Djokovic then thumps away a smash and his first ace of the day to move ahead.

Nadal 1-1 Djokovic
A fairly lame drop shot from Djokovic does not bode well but he takes a leaf out of Murray's book, from the latter part of yesterday's semi-final, and opens his shoulders to hit a beautiful forehand down the line for 30-30. Nadal steps it up with a heavy forehand but Djokovic finds a magnificent backhand lob for deuce. This time it is Nadal who makes the error, sweeping a cross-court forehand wide and Djokovic has a break point... and in a long rally, the Spaniard goes wide on the other side with a backhand. A big surprise and great news for Djokovic - and the match.

Nadal 1-0 Djokovic
Djokovic to serve... and the Serb makes two big serves to win him the kind of free points he will need today, while the first two rallies go to Nadal. It's 30-30, and Djokovic makes another first serve before thumping away a short forehand, but a poor backhand brings him back to deuce. An even worse forehand barely makes it halfway up the net and Nadal has a break point.... which he takes with a stunning cross-court backhand pass. Ominous.

1310: "If Nadal wins today's final, he will equal Federer in terms of Master Series (14). But.... can he do the same with Agassi (17)? What's you bet for today?"
From oscarmcmc on 606

The sun is out

1305: The players are out on the Court Central - Rafa was looking as menacing as Mike Tyson in his prime as he went through his usual pre-match routine. Djokovic looks impressively calm, bearing in mind the challenge ahead. The weather is good and we're all set.

1300: Andy Murray may have gone down fighting on Saturday but we are still left with an enticing final line-up as Rafael Nadal takes on Novak Djokovic for the 16th time.

The Spaniard leads their head-to-head 11-4, and has won their last two meetings as well as all six on clay. He is going for a fifth consecutive title in Monte Carlo - a record in the Open era - although the Spaniard is chasing Briton Reggie Doherty, who won the event six times between 1897 and 1904. Reggie is still ranked fifth in Britain, you know.

Not really.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/8006536.stm

Bibberz
04-20-2009, 04:20 AM
Rafa's quotes in bold.

Nadal beats Djokovic in three sets

MONACO -- Rafael Nadal knows he won't stay on top if he doesn't strive to get better, even when playing on clay, his favorite surface.

The top-ranked Spaniard overcame an upset bid by Novak Djokovic on Sunday, beating the third-ranked Serbian 6-3, 2-6, 6-1 for his fifth straight Monte Carlo Masters title after losing a set here for the first time since the 2006 final against Roger Federer.

"Everyone can improve in every surface, no? No one is perfect. Sure, I can improve," Nadal said. "I always work to improve because when you feel you can't improve, is difficult to wake up and go on court and practice."

Nadal is favored to also collect a fifth straight French Open title, but the way Djokovic swept Nadal aside in the second set, and the way No. 4 Andy Murray rallied back from 5-2 down to force a tie break in Saturday's semifinal offers his rivals a glimmer of hope.

Nadal was unhappy with how he served, and plans to improve on it before heading to Roland Garros next month.

"This tournament I didn't serve very well. Especially the second serve was sometimes 120 kph [74 mph]. So that's [a] disaster," Nadal said. "Yeah, I have to play more. Have to serve better."

Even so, he was delighted with his win.

"Always really important for me [to] start the clay season like this," said Nadal, who won his third title this season after hard-court victories at the Australian Open and Indian Wells, Calif.

He trailed 3-1 in the first set before reeling off five straight games. Struggling on serve in the third, he saved three break points and needed 14 minutes to hold his opening service game.

Complete results

Need the scores from any match played in today's tournaments? Results

After a long rally at 30-40, Djokovic seemed certain to break Nadal with a drop shot, but Nadal somehow got it back for a winner and Djokovic sank to his knees.

"A little bit lucky because he has two break points and important drop shot. I came back. That point was really important," Nadal said. "After that I think I played really well. In the important moments, I was focused all the time."

It was the third-seeded Djokovic who crumbled as Nadal clinched victory on his first match point when the Serbian sent a backhand into the net.

"I played a very good match, actually one of the best I have played against him on this surface," Djokovic said. "It's really unfortunate that in certain moments I didn't play the way I was supposed to play, with a little bit more patience."

Nadal extended his winning streak at Monte Carlo to 27 matches and won his 21st straight victory on clay since losing to Juan Carlos Ferrero of Spain in the second round of the Rome Masters in May 2008.

Nobody has matched Nadal's performance at the Monte Carlo tournament since tennis turned professional in 1968.

Reggie Doherty won the event six times overall between 1897-99 and 1902-04, while five-time winner Anthony Wilding of New Zealand won four times in a row from 1911-14 and got his other title in 1908.

Djokovic had the momentum after he dominated the second set, winning all nine points at the net and putting pressure on Nadal's wavering serve.

"It certainly gives me a lot of confidence playing against him," Djokovic said. "Hopefully I can have another chance this season."

But Djokovic missed his chance at the beginning of the third set.

"He got [an] incredible drop shot and he made a winner. The angle was just incredible," Djokovic said. "I think that's what kind of lifted him up."

With Djokovic finding his range with huge shots, he forced another chance that Nadal saved with a strong first serve. Another big forehand winner offered up a third break point, which Djokovic missed when his return landed just out.

"If I was break up, then things would probably look different," Djokovic said.

Nadal broke Djokovic immediately for a 2-0 lead, but he was struggling to hold and dropped serve on his third break point in the third game to let Djokovic back in the match.

But Nadal won the next five games -- just like he did at 3-1 down in the first set -- as Djokovic went for extravagant winners that landed out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4081119&campaign=rss&source=TENNISHeadlines

Clara Bow
04-20-2009, 04:25 AM
tangi- I love your photo collection!

Thanks for the articles BD. It seems like disaster is a new word of English that Rafa discovered these past few months and so is putting into frequent use.

Aenea
04-20-2009, 07:15 AM
... and contender number two for point of the season - Djokovic eventually moves in and plays a fabulous drop volley but Nadal incredibly chases it down a sneaks a winner across the Serb, who slumps to his knees with his head in his hands. If you know what I mean.

This point was really amazing :worship: I think at this point Nole lost any hope he could win this match. Playing your best, giving everything you have doing everything right and still losing must be somehow discouraging. Still after this match Novak must be more confident about his chances in the upcoming clay tournaments. I consider him the biggest threat to Rafa on clay in SF/F.

Congrats, BD :) You managed this thread very well :clap2:

l_mac
04-20-2009, 07:50 AM
Why didn't you post the presser, BD? :awww:

Sunday, 19 April 2009

R. NADAL/N. Djokovic
6-3, 2-6, 6-1

Q. How tough was it when he broke back in the third set?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, was tougher in the second I think. Yeah, no, I started the match playing well. The first game, well, he play really bad. Later he played well with the 3 1. But later I played good tennis. But in the first game of the second was really important, no? I won five games in a row.
Yeah, the first game of the second I had an easy passing shot to win the game, one game point. Yeah, I had the mistake. And later I had some more mistakes in that game. He started to play well. I play a little bit short. I had the big chance in 2 1, one 15 40, one easy forehand. I played well, but I take out like this. Yeah, later I play a bad game with my serve. Was impossible the second, no.
But the third, yeah, the beginning I have a little bit lucky because he has two breakpoints and one dropshot, important dropshot. I came back. That point was really important. After that I think I played really well the third, no? Important moments, I was focused all the time. Was tough the 2 1, but I know I was really focused.
I had two important mistakes in the 2 0 for 3 0. I have two game points. I was playing with topspin and I want to put forehand little bit too much low and I put both two in the net.

Q. Overall it seemed like an up and down match. Did it feel like that for you?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yes. Well, the second for me was like this. But the third I think wasn't up and down, no? I think was very long points a lot of times. Yeah, I was well physically. I feeled well physically, and mentally really well in the third. I played well, no? I had some good passing shots. Well, I didn't have mistakes in the third. I think the third was more regular.

Q. When it's close, is the fact that you have such an amazing record here, you seem to play well here, does that help? Does that give you a different degree of confidence?
RAFAEL NADAL: Having the four titles here?

Q. Yes. Just playing so well here.
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no. Well, I had very good results on clay last few years, so that's give me a little more confidence. When I am in tough moments, I know if I am there all the time I have chances always. But every match is different, no? I am only thinking about the match, not if I won 100 matches, no?

Q. Would you say it was your toughest final here?
RAFAEL NADAL: If this one was the toughest?

Q. Yes.
RAFAEL NADAL: I have against Coria a really tough one. Against Federer one year I had four sets, too. No, I have tough finals always. This one was tough, sure. But I have other ones was tough.

Q. Are you able to carry the confidence to next week?
RAFAEL NADAL: Always is really important for me start the clay season like this, no, for the confidence. But the most important thing is the title more than the confidence. Win another time here is more than a dream for me. Is, yeah, unbelievable, no? Fifth title here in Monte Carlo. I never expect something like this.
But, yeah, I feeled very emotional today, no?

Q. And for Barcelona, five also.
RAFAEL NADAL: For Barcelona, Wednesday first round, not five.

Q. Does it represent something special for you to win five titles here?
RAFAEL NADAL: Is one of the more important tournaments of the world. Is a really historic tournament. Best players of the history was playing here. Always play here for me is a pleasure, no? Is a dream when I came to Monte Carlo in 2003 I think for the first time, play here was a dream for me. And right now, yeah, have five titles, I never thought, no?

Q. Do you realize you made something very huge?
RAFAEL NADAL: Sure, to win Masters Series is always really tough. But now win five, yeah, for me, if I want to choose, if I have the chance to choose one Masters Series before the start of the season to win, Monte Carlo is gonna be in the first positions, no? The city, the atmosphere, everything is special, the history of the tournament. Yeah, always is special for me this tournament.

Q. You said at the start of the week you were going to play without strapping on your knees. How are your knees at the end of the tournament?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, was okay. Everything fine, no? No different without than with the bands, no? I don't feel any difference.

Q. You think you won't play with them in the future?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, we gonna try to continuing play like this. But you know if someday I play with the bands, that doesn't mean I have a problem. Right now we try like this. Right now it's okay. But I don't know if in a few weeks I gonna start another time.

Q. When you win in Monte Carlo, after you win in Roland Garros. Is that a good sign?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I did four years. That's nothing, no? Is completely different tournament and remain some weeks to Roland Garros. I am focused on Barcelona and Rome later. So, yes, some important tournaments are before.

Q. Can you talk about Novak's performance. Is that one of the best games he's played against you on clay?
RAFAEL NADAL: Maybe the best was last year in Hamburg. That was the toughest one. But, yes, he is a very good player, no? On clay, too, he has very good results on clay. He's top three, top four, top two. Yeah, I think top three or top four on clay. Last few years he did. Always play against him is tough, no? And today wasn't an exception.

Q. You improved a lot on hard surfaces. Do you think you can improve on clay?
RAFAEL NADAL: Everyone can improve in every surface, no? No one is perfect. Sure, I can improve. And I work always to improve because when you feel you can't improve, is difficult to wake up and go on court and practice with the illusion, no?
If I am here, is to continuing improve all the time. That's my illusion, my motivation, no, go on court and continuing improve my tennis.
When someday I don't gonna feel something like this, I gonna go, I think. Always you can improve. If you don't have this illusion, you are not prepared to play.

Q. What would you like to improve most?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, the serve is really important because I was serving better in the beginning of the season. This tournament I didn't serve very well. Especially the second serve was sometimes 120 kilometers per hour. So that's disaster. Yeah, I have to play more, have to serve better next week. I gonna have two days to work.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

http://montecarlo.masters-series.com/2/en/players/interviews/stories/09_nadal8.asp

ldaXk4uALcc

Rog1
04-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Thank God he came through in the end. Glad to see that the taping is not on his knees.:)

And as with what some other fans have mentioned here just like Roger, Rafa does look thinner.:p

Linda (Luton-UK)

04-21-2009, 03:19 AM
A belated Congrats to Rafa on yet another title :) But he is starting to worry me because it seems like there are times that he just "goes away" and is not focused on the Match anymore. He didn't used to be like that at all! And Rafa certainly isn't the only tennis player I have noticed that is thinner. A very big deal was made about Andy Roddick being 15 pounds lighter to try to help his on court movement. I hope he didn't gain all the weight back by eating too much of his wedding cake :p

Castafiore
04-21-2009, 08:18 PM
As promised, a selection of my pictures from Monte Carlo. :)

part 1 (click on the pictures for the bigger versions)

Nalbandian watching a match:
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/2186/p1010452h.th.jpg (http://img50.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010452h.jpg)

Crappy picture of Safin, Andreev and Youzhny (Safin and Andreev were waiting to play their doubles match)
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/125/p1010464h.th.jpg (http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010464h.jpg)

Feliciano and Nando during one of their doubles matches:
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/658/p1010468q.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010468q.jpg)

Feliciano Lopez vs David Ferrer:
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/4060/p1010488p.th.jpg (http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010488p.jpg)
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3087/p1010489u.th.jpg (http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010489u.jpg)
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/7884/p1010491.th.jpg (http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010491.jpg)

Safin vs Hewitt:
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/637/p1010492.th.jpg (http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010492.jpg)
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3910/p1010494.th.jpg (http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010494.jpg)
Lleyton getting his thigh wrapped up :sad:
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7029/p1010498.th.jpg (http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010498.jpg)

Kiefer:
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/9922/p1010500.th.jpg (http://img264.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010500.jpg)

Nalby:
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/7313/p1010502g.th.jpg (http://img264.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010502g.jpg)

From a training session:
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/5656/p1010519l.th.jpg (http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010519l.jpg)
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/1614/p1010516.th.jpg (http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010516.jpg)

From the Chela match:
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/678/p1010523.th.jpg (http://img172.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010523.jpg)
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/156/p1010524.th.jpg (http://img260.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010524.jpg)

(I don't have a lot of action pictures in here but I need to upgrade my camera for that, I think + more patience to sit there looking through the lens until I get the right pictures and that's no way to follow a match)

TBC...

Castafiore
04-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Pictures from Monte Carlo

part 2

Feliciano Lopez during Verdasco's match against Djokovic:
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/6878/p1010560.th.jpg (http://img406.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010560.jpg)

From the Lapentti match:
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/3885/p1010563t.th.jpg (http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010563t.jpg)
Being interviewed for Spanish tv:
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/2074/p1010570.th.jpg (http://img524.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010570.jpg)

Djokovic:
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3687/p1010578r.th.jpg (http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010578r.jpg)

After the Ljubicic match:
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/1420/p1010592.th.jpg (http://img126.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010592.jpg)

Murray:
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/3646/p1010603.th.jpg (http://img126.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010603.jpg)

Training session on Saturday:
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4158/p1010612b.th.jpg (http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010612b.jpg)
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/6324/p1010628.th.jpg (http://img260.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010628.jpg)

Nice boat:
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/5683/p1010640.th.jpg (http://img260.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010640.jpg)

Before stepping on court for his semi-final against Murray:
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2443/p1010642r.th.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010642r.jpg)

During the match:
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/5564/p1010645.th.jpg (http://img524.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010645.jpg)

Murray:
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1038/p1010644h.th.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010644h.jpg)

Zimonjic watching the match :inlove:
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5884/p1010646p.th.jpg (http://img529.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010646p.jpg)

TBC...

wildegirl05
04-21-2009, 08:56 PM
hilde :worship: :worship:

thanks for getting some of my numpties :inlove:

l_mac
04-21-2009, 08:58 PM
I like the one of him bending over before the Murray match :inlove:

Thanks Hilde :hug:

Castafiore
04-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Pictures from Monte Carlo

Part 3 (final part):

Both finalists coming on court:
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/8247/p1010678.th.jpg (http://img397.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010678.jpg)

(too nervous to make pictures during the match :o :o :o )

Shirt change: (was ready for that one, though :D )
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9048/p1010685.th.jpg (http://img4.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010685.jpg)

The heart of clay on his back :worship: :
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5434/p1010689z.th.jpg (http://img6.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010689z.jpg)

Getting ready to be interviewed:
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5049/p1010690b.th.jpg (http://img6.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010690b.jpg)

From the trophy ceremony:
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7946/p1010706w.th.jpg (http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010706w.jpg)
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/6692/p1010711.th.jpg (http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010711.jpg)
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8812/p1010715u.th.jpg (http://img23.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010715u.jpg)
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4001/p1010725.th.jpg (http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010725.jpg)

On his way to the locker room (the ball kids were crowding him...security was even needed "backstage" ... with one official saying to the kids "on laisse le joueur tranquille")
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8112/p1010731t.th.jpg (http://img25.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010731t.jpg)

Pascal Maria, the umpire of the final with what I assume is his cute little daughter:
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/2959/p1010732i.th.jpg (http://img25.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010732i.jpg)

*** The End ***

PS: I wanted to take a picture of Federer and I was ready to do so after the Wawrinka match, but...he rushed so quickly off court that I failed doing so and I didn't think of doing it during the match. He was in a bad mood throughout this tournament, though. Up to the point of getting booed after the Seppi match (he ignored the considerable bunch of kids waiting for him to give autographs like most players do and he got booed for the way he stepped off court)

PS #2: We found out that the sales of merchandising, sports gear, posters, etc. was down this year and the only player selling really well was...*drum rolls*...Rafael Nadal.

Minn
04-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Hilde, great pictures! Thank you so much for sharing them.

Getta
04-21-2009, 09:29 PM
You did an awesome job, Hilde. :yeah:

acionescu
04-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Nenad :inlove:

EDIT: THanks, Hilde :o

I hope Nike doesn't start to dress him with all the unselling shit for that reason :scared:

star
04-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Much thanks for the pics!!

May I use the heart one (where he picks himself up from the court) for an av? Pretty please. :awww:

Castafiore
04-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Go ahead, star. :)

star
04-21-2009, 09:51 PM
A bizillion thanks. :hug: :hug:

Minn
04-21-2009, 10:16 PM
I was thinking that that picture would be good for someone to use as an avatar, especially you, Star, and Linda, since you both have/had similar ones in your avatar/signature. Looking forward to seeing Hilde's photo as Star's avatar!

MariaV
04-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Hilde, I cannot goodrep you. :mad: :( Thank you so much for the great photos. :smooch: :hug:

l_mac
04-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Hilde, I cannot goodrep you. :mad: :( Thank you so much for the great photos. :smooch: :hug:

I will rep her.

A rep from me is like getting a whole page of green dots :bowdown:

charliebrown
04-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the pics :)