Brothers or sisters?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Brothers or sisters??

Black Adam
04-06-2009, 09:39 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7977454.stm?lsm

Sisters 'make people happy'

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45430000/jpg/_45430994_primarykids.jpg
Sisters "make families more open and willing to talk about problems"

Sisters spread happiness while brothers breed distress, experts believe.
Researchers quizzed 571 people aged 17 to 25 about their lives and found those who grew up with sisters were more likely to be happy and balanced.
The University of Ulster said having daughters made a family more open and willing to discuss feelings.
They said the influence of girls was particularly important after distressing family events such as marital break-ups.
The findings are due to be presented at the British Psychological Society in Brighton on Thursday.
During the study, participants filled in psychological questionnaires which researchers used to assess a range of issues, including whether they had a positive outlook and any mental health problems.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/start_quote_rb.gif Emotional expression is fundamental to good psychological health and having sisters promotes this in families http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/end_quote_rb.gif
Professor Tony Cassidy, lead researcher

Lead researcher Professor Tony Cassidy said: "Sisters appear to encourage more open communication and cohesion in families.
"However, brothers seemed to have the alternative effect.
"Emotional expression is fundamental to good psychological health and having sisters promotes this in families."
He said many of the participants had been brought up in families where parents had split and the impact of sisters was even more marked in these circumstances.
"I think these findings could be used by people offering support to families and children during distressing times.

"We may have to think carefully about the way we deal with families with lots of boys."
Geri Burnikell, co-ordinator of the charity Support Line, which offers counselling to young people and families, said: "This is very interesting and certainly chimes with our experiences.
"Boys tend to internalise problems and in families where there are lots of sons, I can see that can cause problems.
"I think the most important thing in these circumstances is to give people someone independent to talk to outside the immediate family unit."

I believe this completely false as men are actually more efficient at discussing serious issues. It's liek saying sisters are better because they whine more and through that whining we get to discuss loads of emotional issues :rolleyes:

Henry Chinaski
04-06-2009, 11:15 PM
sisters make you happy when you get to bang their friends.

shotgun
04-07-2009, 12:29 AM

And that is all that needs to be said.

Aloimeh
04-07-2009, 01:03 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7977454.stm?lsm

I believe this completely false as men are actually more efficient at discussing serious issues. It's liek saying sisters are better because they whine more and through that whining we get to discuss loads of emotional issues :rolleyes:

Only have a sister so I can't compare the two. I will say from experience with my sister (and mother to a much lesser degree) that when women whine they want commiseration and NOT solutions. I think males have a tendency to analyze the problem (whatever it may be, and that includes emotional/social/relationship problems) and try to come up with what can be done. If I was whining to someone, that's certainly what I would want - advice on how to fix the problem. Women, on the other hand, by and large tend to do whatever they want anyway and want to have someone to talk to about their issues, but not propose solutions. I think even if she asks for solutions, she has one or more in mind that are already preferable to the rest and she just wants your approval, not an objective assessment.

openwong
04-07-2009, 06:45 AM

alfonsojose
04-08-2009, 06:03 PM
:rolleyes: sisters are mean and useless :p

the biscuit
04-08-2009, 06:53 PM
I wouldn't know what to do without my sister. My brother annoys me, deeply. Also, he fanboys Roddick and hates Muzza. :sad:

Burrow
04-08-2009, 07:00 PM
sounds like a great guy

Jōris
04-08-2009, 08:30 PM
I wouldn't know what to do without my sister. My brother annoys me, deeply. Also, he fanboys Roddick and hates Muzza. :sad:

Somebody should hook him up with Tangy.

shotgun
04-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Somebody should hook him up with Tangy.

Is he into MILFs?

scarecrows
04-08-2009, 10:08 PM

the WTF post of the day

Bascule
04-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Only have a sister so I can't compare the two. I will say from experience with my sister (and mother to a much lesser degree) that when women whine they want commiseration and NOT solutions. I think males have a tendency to analyze the problem (whatever it may be, and that includes emotional/social/relationship problems) and try to come up with what can be done. If I was whining to someone, that's certainly what I would want - advice on how to fix the problem. Women, on the other hand, by and large tend to do whatever they want anyway and want to have someone to talk to about their issues, but not propose solutions. I think even if she asks for solutions, she has one or more in mind that are already preferable to the rest and she just wants your approval, not an objective assessment.

Is this from the book: Why women cry and men lie?...or something from the same author? Of course, the main difference between men and women is: they are usually whining just looking for the comfort...so, just listen to her and don't propose the solution, unless you want fight.;)

Anyway, talking to a lot of people, as well looking through the history of a lot of families I know, the fact is:
Daughters are much more useful for their family in general, than sons...I heard a lot of times people whining why they have only sons, not daughters...also, sisters are very sensitive about their brothers, while opposite is very rare...you have those motives also in our traditional songs...I AM very happy for having a daughter, she is more mature, more helpful, more sensitive and more sensible than my son...who is cute and petty, but lazy, slowly, irresponsible, as coward also...my daughter is saving me...:p

Aloimeh
04-09-2009, 01:17 AM
Is this from the book: Why women cry and men lie?...or something from the same author? Of course, the main difference between men and women is: they are usually whining just looking for the comfort...so, just listen to her and don't propose the solution, unless you want fight.;)

Anyway, talking to a lot of people, as well looking through the history of a lot of families I know, the fact is:
Daughters are much more useful for their family in general, than sons...I heard a lot of times people whining why they have only sons, not daughters...also, sisters are very sensitive about their brothers, while opposite is very rare...you have those motives also in our traditional songs...I AM very happy for having a daughter, she is more mature, more helpful, more sensitive and more sensible than my son...who is cute and petty, but lazy, slowly, irresponsible, as coward also...my daughter is saving me...:p

I agree that women are undervalued by our society. In some families, women are really the foundation and bedrock - but that's usually because the men don't help out and aren't doing a great job at breadwinning.

I love my sister very much, and I know that she loves me just the same. It is actually pretty rare to find siblings that care about each other so much.

Most mothers prefer sons, so I'm a bit surprised at your exalting your daughter and bashing your son. Hopefully you're son is just in a phase and not a future bum/criminal.

Bascule
04-09-2009, 01:56 AM
I agree that women are undervalued by our society. In some families, women are really the foundation and bedrock - but that's usually because the men don't help out and aren't doing a great job at breadwinning.

I love my sister very much, and I know that she loves me just the same. It is actually pretty rare to find siblings that care about each other so much.

Most mothers prefer sons, so I'm a bit surprised at your exalting your daughter and bashing your son. Hopefully you're son is just in a phase and not a future bum/criminal.

My children are just 7 y.o.....he won't be a bum/criminal, I'll do everything I can:mad:..., no, he has a soft heart, and I do love more to share tenders with him than with my daughter:o (he is like a pet:)...especially when he needs something), but women are more responsible and generous than men (in general), they sacrifice more for their family (and the women are more lowly workers as well), but I knew quite a few guys who are better sons, brothers and friends than many of the women.;)