2009 Clay season [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2009 Clay season

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

krn81
04-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Girls, you wanted a french poster to open it, I am doing it, we have already lot of things to talk about ;)
Miami finished, now the clay season...
First tournaments in 2 weeks, Monte Carlo...
After Madrid and Rome are arriving before the big event of this spring: Roland Garros!!!

Vamos Poussin :)

Eimear O'Mahony
04-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Yes good luck to Gilles in the clay court season. Let's hope a change of surface brings a change of luck and an improvement in his game :)

but-it's-ok
04-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks Karine for opening this thread;):banana:

I love clay court tennis because it tests players mindset,technical and tactical ability,stamina/fitness to the maximum,a surface made for Gilles because he's a thinker,a fighter. If he can get his best shots to work this could be a very exciting time for Gilles and his fans. Allez Gilles:rocker:

Mint Chip
04-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Gillou can go on the clay court season with a bit more confidence which makes me happy.All he needs to do is use a little bit more angle to his advantage on the clay to life easier ;) (and Belief) ALLEZ Gillou :hug:

rtgy
04-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Girls, you wanted a french poster to open it, I am doing it, we have already lot of things to talk about ;)
Miami finished, now the clay season...
First tournaments in 2 weeks, Monte Carlo...
After Madrid and Rome are arriving before the big event of this spring: Roland Garros!!!

Vamos Poussin :)

:lol:...............and what about the boys here:rolls: or is this only for girls around :p

thanx for the thread - very good idea Karine;)

:worship::worship::worship::worship:

krn81
04-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Yavor :hug:
I just opened the thread because Isabelle and Patchett (Sorry I forgot your name, Can you tell me again?) asked a French one to do it ;)
Guys are also welcome :hug:

Clay is also my favourite surface, simply because i discovered tennis but watching matches on this surface. I still remember studying for my exams and watching Roland Garros at the same time.
I like Roland Garros and it is my favourite slam, not only because I am French. I like long exchange, not too long also but when the players build their point to win. I am not a big fan of service volley game. For this reason Gillou has all the arms to be good on that surface and that we enjoyed lot to watch his games.
I am also waiting to see him as it will be first time for me to watch a game of him on clay. I discover him lately and last years I was not watching tennis lot as I was busy, travelling and not lot in front of my tv.
In somehow, it could be so nice if they stop Miami today and they begin to play Monte Carlo tomorrow.

Isabelle I will continue your conversation here about the improvements of Gillou ;)
I think he needs a stronger service. And I made the link with Nadal because when Nadal began to be famous, his first Roland Garros, I was not expected him be able to win something else and specially Wimbledon. But he continues to work and get better step by step, he stayed few years only at number 2 place. Lot of players could explode, he did not and in somehow, Gillou could do the same. He will not be permanent top 5 player tomorrow but by continuing to work that what he is doing now, in the next years he can be.

but-it's-ok
04-01-2009, 03:40 PM
:wavey:Karine,my name is Di;)

rtgy
04-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Yavor :hug:
I just opened the thread because Isabelle and Patchett (Sorry I forgot your name, Can you tell me again?) asked a French one to do it ;)
Guys are also welcome :hug:

:rocker:

Karine:smooch:

isabelle86
04-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Karine, I love your comment about exams and Roland Garros, it was horrible but the priority was tennis. :D. I always had the chance to meet the players during the year and see for free the event in Barcelona in the 4th floor of school in Barcelona. if you go to google earth you will find the RCTBarcelona, site of the event was just in front of my school, Lycee Francçais, only 1 minute walking and you were in the club, just in front - same street was the vip village during the event, great memories, trying to hit with gs champions in their junior days.
Nadal was famous in 2000 when as flag bearer the coaches told the davis cup players before the final that he was better than them. He always had Wimby as a must win tournament and the difference in Spain or France between be a good and a great player is to be able to reach or win finals outside clay. He was a star since the day he turned pro raised in a sporting family.

Gilles is a player who has been climbing consistently through the rankings all those years, I knew he had game when I saw him in Valencia 2006 but the best thing is he has improved so much since the unforgettable weekend and he has being improving consistently, he is perhaps a late bloomer at 23 but I beleive he is the kind of player that now can only get better, he is not going to put a step forward, he has arrived to the top 10 to stay. Sadly Gilles only went finally noticed for some fans when he put at end to the reign of Federer in Toronto. Shots in Tennis, here are my nice and biased marks about my fave Gillou:
• The Serve, 5
• The Return of Serve, 6.5
• The Forehand, 6.5
• The Backhand 8.
• The Forehand Volley 4
• The Backhand Volley 3.5
• The Lob 6.5
• The Dropshot 6
• The Overhead 6
• Movement: 8.5
• Head: 9
IMHO that gives a clear indication which are the areas Gilles needs to improve the most.

krn81
04-01-2009, 04:40 PM
:wavey:Karine,my name is Di;)

Hi Di, you probably already gave me your name, but it is like first day at work when you arrived, everyone presents himself and finally you just remember the head ;)
I will remember now ;)

but-it's-ok
04-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Not a problem Karine:hug: I have problems remembering names at work even when I've been amongst the same people for ages:lol: Faces are easier indeed-when you can see them;)

krn81
04-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Isabelle you were really lucky to have free access to tournament and such nice view. ;)

About Nadal, I need to admit at the beginning he was annoying me with all this vamos at each point, now it is better to watch him, and I prefer him than Federer, specially for this fighting spirit.
For us, the first one who will win a slam will be a hero, it is too long time we are waiting now ;)
When I was young in France, Roland Garros and Davis Cup were the only tournaments showing on tv. My parents did not cable so it was my only chances to watch tennis. I had a off period of watching tennis, during 3 years more or less and I began to watch it again due to Gillou :D
I skip all the part when Federer was the king, and now I think it is more interesting. The top 5 is exceptional but the 5 or even 10 players that follow are also good and can beat the top 5 on a match.

To come back to Gillou, I like your list but you forgot something, the analyze capabilities of Gilles. He is intelligent and as he is not the strongest player, he has still this possibility to pertub the game of the oponent. This capabilities of analyzes are not only for the interview but it helps him also to change things, to have an evolution in his game. Things that Federer does not have. Gillou is a good defender and you can see that Federer has problems with this kind of players, he is not able to win against them since the us open final in fact. He lost after against Gilles, Murray and Nadal.

By the way, is someone know if Gilles is the only player than Federer never beat? (of course, when they played more than one match).
It could be definitely interesting to see a match Federer-Simon on clay.

Apart that, my favourite shoot of Gilles is the backhand along the line :hearts:
when he is doing so well, I will give largely a 10 ;)

isabelle86
04-01-2009, 06:02 PM
there are some interesting names from the past, Franco Squillari, Byron Black, Bruguera to name a few, of the current active players he is the only 1. "I defeated him once in Toronto, so it was easier to finish the match. I had no complex when I served in the last game"
Gilles Simon in Shanghai! :)

and as you said he is good reading matches and changing tactics:
Toronto, I realised that Simon forced him into playing this way: many errors, and that he should get all the credit. Simon had the perfect tactics against Roger, and this was shown in 'the second accident' (that was an extremely cute video, makes me smile).
I also admired how Simon tried his normal game against Rafa in the first set and lost badly so he changed up his game, he played Rafa's game and then was aggressive with the short balls, it worked perfectly.

I always cheer for baseliners or counter-punchers which is how I classify Gillou.
I like this kid a ton. He possesses many of the qualities I admire in Rafa.
He is a tireless competitor, very fierce and yet almost never negative. I really like that.
He also seems like a genuinely good human. I like that as well.
Some pro players get caught up in the fame and fortune and the 'party' atmosphere that surrounds the pro tour.
Not Gilles.
I think he has his best tennis ahead of him in the coming months and years.
So very nice to have our player reaching for the top tier!!! We are so very lucky to be fans of Gilles :)

MsTree
04-01-2009, 08:47 PM
What a great thread! I'm really looking forward to this clay court season in a way I just haven't before :) I love all your comments on Gillou and I love the rollercoaster ride he takes us on!
The only thing I would like to add is that my favourite Gillou shot is that crackling running forehand down the line and I particularly love it when he wrongfoots his opponents with it :lol:

And for the first time in months we Europeans can have a sensible sleeping pattern :)

rtgy
04-01-2009, 08:51 PM
And for the first time in months we Europeans can have a sensible sleeping pattern :)

but-it's-ok
04-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Yeah there's room in my life for more than just tennis,I can spend time doing karaoke,having parties,getting to know my friends again:lol:...free at last:dance:

I couldn't rate Gilles highly enough;) Weaknesses are relative,Gilles has so much going for him. He's a fixture in the Top 10 and yet he can become even better technically,and will add more aggressive intent to his game. Great for Gilles and his fans,what a prospect:dance:

anaquot
04-01-2009, 11:52 PM

I will have to get up nice and early, but that is always a goal of mine, and if it is to wake up with a nice coffee and a Gilles match why not!

:smooch: thanks for starting the thread, I haven't seen Gilles play on clay yet, I'm looking forward to it.

port37
04-02-2009, 06:51 AM
Clay Season :yippee:

I too love the clay season, it's the most romantic season of the tennis calendar - the dirty red clay, the historic European cities as the beautiful backdrop and epic matches with gruelling rallies...aahhhh :)

Also, I have always had favourite players that do well (Rafa of course, Juan Carlos Ferrero and Magnus Norman) and now hopefully Gilles!

His game is very well suited to clay as you need to think your way through rallies and big servers are negated by the slow surface so I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes this year. I agree Les the backhand down the line is wonderful to watch, when he's got his opponent right where he wants them, kazam! His serving and net play are his weaknesses but they aren't as important on the clay however, he doesn't like drop shots and they are prevalent on this surface so he will probably lose a few points with that as players know he doesn't like them.

Rafa is a great person for him to emulate - constantly improving all facets of his game but particularly his serve which on the hardcourts has become a weapon for Rafa as he's getting more free points and expending less energy. It's taken Rafa a few years though to get it where it is now so Gilles will just have to persevere. Gilles has a good return of serve so he can use this to get into rallies and dictate points, getting his opponent to play how he wants them to, then he can hurt them.

Allez Gilles!

Brownie
04-02-2009, 11:26 AM
:smooch: thanks for starting the thread, I haven't seen Gilles play on clay yet, I'm looking forward to it.

I just realized that I hadn't seen him play on clay either! This should be exciting :D

krn81
04-02-2009, 04:29 PM
France is qualified for the Tennis World Cup :bigclap:

But nothing really new in fact. It was already announced before, it is just official today.
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2009/20090402_175429_la-france-qualifiee.html
The world cup will be played in Düsseldorf the week before RG.

France will be represented by Gillou and Jo.

Others teams qualified are Argentina, Russia and Germany. There are still four teams to determine, we wil know the names after Miami.

I dont know exactly the principe but if only jo and gilles play for France it means that they will play the doubles match together :bounce:
And this could be really interesting to see.

isabelle86
04-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Excellent news!:bounce: Merci Karine!!!! :hug::yeah:
the Arag World team championship is the perfect warmup/exho before Roland Garros.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2086/2521162469_062a359bd0.jpg?v=0

the format of the competion is similar to the Davis Cup, to know if Gillou and Jo will play doubles it is important to know the schedule of the event. 8 teams, 2 groups.
3 rubbers in the the 3 group ties (2 sinngles and doubles) and then the final. France has only won once the event.
2 singles player and then optional doubles players for the doubles matches.

for example last year, Germany played singles with Kohschreiber and Kiefer and doubles with Kas /Petzschner and Argentina played singles with Cañas and Chela and doubles with Arnold Ker/Prieto! and Spain Ferrer and Lopez in aingles and Granollers in doubles.
so we will have to wait and see if there are more French players available to play the doubles matches (probably yes) to avoid Gillou and Jo to play too many matches just before Roland Garros but my feeling is that in the 1st session (or tie) Gilles and Jo will play the doubles. So great!!!:)

Alllez Gillou & Jo!!! :bigclap:

krn81
04-02-2009, 05:33 PM
you are welcome Isabelle :hug:

I dont know if others french players will join but for sure gilles & jo will not play too much there. It is first time some atp points will be given but it is not the reason that they are going there.
It is probably to be outside France the week before Roland Garros. They have lot of pressure, every one waits a player to replace yannick noah, and it gives to them some pressure. I remember that I rode an article where gillou was explaining this pressure, even they put themselves some additional one. Being there and having fun is probably the best solution.

And I would like to see a double with gilles and jo and even more if they have fun on the court. :D

And the last time france won was in 1986, one of the player who won was... Tulasne ;)

isabelle86
04-02-2009, 05:55 PM
I would love to see a doubles with Gilles & Jo, after what Fran explained happened in Hamburg IMHO they will try again, it's just fro fun the doubles rubber and Gilles & Jo are best friends since ages. Those are really wonderful news! :)
awarding ranking points for the 1st time to the event he can try to defend the ones of Casablanca! and Titi won there!!! :)

I also agree to be outside Paris before Roland Garros will be extremely important to avoid the pressure of the French media. it's all good. It's more easy for the French players to feel the pressure, obvious. Hewitt, Philippousis and Rafter never won the AO for example.
It's difficult to replace Noah, he is the coolest, off topic, love the relation with Amelie.

I would love to read your article about Gilles and the pressure of Roland Garros, he is always so interesting to read and smart in answers. I am very curious to know his feeling towards Roland Garros. I know it's special for him but there have to be plenty of great stories and naecdotes told by Gillou, he is a chatterbox. :)

Love those news! Merci une autre foix, Karine! :)

krn81
04-02-2009, 06:53 PM
I dont have this article sorry. I rode so lot of things that I dont remember where and when was it and even if it was an article or a video.
If I found it again, I will let you know ;)

but-it's-ok
04-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Karine,great news,thanks for telling us:hug:

rtgy
04-02-2009, 07:01 PM
The world cup will be played in Düsseldorf the week before RG.
France will be represented by Gillou and Jo.

:bigclap::bigclap::bigclap:

I dont know exactly the principe but if only jo and gilles play for France it means that they will play the doubles match together :bounce:
And this could be really interesting to see.

:bounce::yippee::bounce:

ALLEZ LES BLUES :rocker::rocker::rocker:

ALLEZ GILLES & JO :rocker2::rocker2::rocker2:

:worship::worship::worship:

Nichele Hull
04-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Now if we can view it that would even be better

Naina
04-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Allez Gilles :)
hope he has a great clay season :rocker:

anaquot
04-04-2009, 01:36 AM
What nice news. I hope that I am not too busy to pay attention or someplace without internet access (heaven forbid! ) :lol:

Brownie
04-04-2009, 03:17 AM
I don't think I had ever heard about the tennis world cup before :awww: But that's really exciting that Gilles and Jo got chosen for it :yippee: I bet they will have a great time together :D Thanks for the news Karine!

Truc
04-04-2009, 07:33 AM
There's a reason why you've never heard of it, it's just an exhibition with a pompous name!
But maybe it will be different this year since ATP points are awarded now. The other good thing is that there is a good coverage of the event, there should even be livestreams of all the courts on tennislive.tv this year (but the website seems to be down right now, I hope it's just temporary).

Truc
04-04-2009, 08:24 AM
It is probably to be outside France the week before Roland Garros. They have lot of pressure, every one waits a player to replace yannick noah, and it gives to them some pressure. I remember that I rode an article where gillou was explaining this pressure, even they put themselves some additional one. Being there and having fun is probably the best solution. I hadn't even thought of that, maybe that's the reason indeed. But Gilles' exposure isn't that big that he has to run away from the French media, frankly. Jo's is, but he's used to it imo and I don't think the pressure issue is that much of a problem for him.

I actually don't think it is for Gilles either. Last year there was that article in Tennis Magazine about him in RG (it's at the beginning of the "Articles and Interviews thread) and the article was stressing a lot how cool he is before a match, on the contrary. During the matches is another story, he tends to get tight in RG, he says he has never played well there, even when he was young, he's had some of his worst defeats in RG (the press conference after the Hernandez match in 2006 was a heartbreak, he was so brutally honest about it). He always says it is his favourite event, though. The RG topic is not easy.

I really hope he'll be asked in interviews why he's going to play this event the week before RG which obviously is a major goal for him this year (focus on Slams + the surface where he feels stronger).
Gaudio is the only player I remember who has ever mentioned the WTC as a good preparation for RG - but Gaudio is special.

The 2006 press conference I was talking about: http://gilles-simon.over-blog.com/article-19114675.html

Brownie
04-04-2009, 01:08 PM
There's a reason why you've never heard of it, it's just an exhibition with a pompous name!
But maybe it will be different this year since ATP points are awarded now. The other good thing is that there is a good coverage of the event, there should even be livestreams of all the courts on tennislive.tv this year (but the website seems to be down right now, I hope it's just temporary).
Haha, ok. That makes me feel better ;) Is there are tennislive.tv, or are you talking about tennistv.com?

lamnathalie
04-04-2009, 01:21 PM
:woohoo:I'm so thrilled that the clay season is coming. Thanks for opening this thread just at the right time. Gotta say the hardcourt season for Gillou this year has not been good, but hopefully clay can bring some good moments to him! Bonne chance et allez, Gillou!:bounce:

Truc
04-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Is there are tennislive.tv, or are you talking about tennistv.com?I meant www.tennislive.tv, but why is the site down out of the blue? It is (or it was :-/) available everywhere and good quality livestreams. They have only Challengers, FedCup matches, Bundesliga matches, that kind of stuff, but they also were supposed to have some German events like Düsseldorf.

Brownie
04-04-2009, 10:04 PM
I meant www.tennislive.tv, but why is the site down out of the blue? It is (or it was :-/) available everywhere and good quality livestreams. They have only Challengers, FedCup matches, Bundesliga matches, that kind of stuff, but they also were supposed to have some German events like Düsseldorf.

That's a shame it disappeared

isabelle86
04-05-2009, 06:42 AM
Historically, I haven't been much of a clay fan. That's probably because my historical favorite, Stefan Edberg, wasn't all that good on clay.

Of course, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me to favor two players who's best surface tends to be clay. Hmmn. They're both fabulous on hardcourts too though. I'll try to think more positively about clay, but I'll probably always be a fast-paced hardcourt lover. :)

Edberg was also my first idol and the player who made me love the sport, Stefan Edberg sportsmanship award among other things, I was very upset when he lost the final in 1989 to Chang in Roland Garros. Chang had the touranment of his life.
Try to think Gilles can do very well in the clay season, he can do very well at RG, it's his main goal this season.
tell me how many players do you think are dangerous and can beat Gilles?
probably no more than 10.

isabelle86
04-05-2009, 06:48 AM

there was an excellent coverage last season,
livestream at channelsurfing, atdhe and bet365.

MsTree
04-05-2009, 06:59 AM
I could see the appeal in Edberg but I loved Jarryd more :hearts: God I'm old! :lol:

I'm starting to be a bit Stan-Smitten myself (cheers Ali!) I was surprised to hear his only title is on clay, like Gillou he seems to be a natural on a hardcourt! :) I prefer the faster game too but I think I'm going to enjoy this year's clay season! :)

isabelle86
04-05-2009, 07:21 AM
I remember that match vividly. That was a tough final for Edberg to lose. However, I was a Chang fan at the time too. I appreciate what an inspiration Chang was to other players.

I'm not banking on anyone to be able to beat Gillou at RG this year. :) But Nadal is always a threat. So, you're right. No more than 10.

Chang was the idol of Gilles when he was a kid. He says it was an inspiration to watch him because Chang was also very small and Gilles was only 1m53cms at age 14.
the tournament of Chang was unique, 20 years later, I am still waiting to see a player like him winning like a junior, I think he is the youngest champion ever at RG. The underserve against Lendl in the semis is classic stuff.
the problem for Gilles is that after what happened in Madrid, Nadal is the boss and all the spaniards are a family, they feel it was an insult to the boss Nadal, so I can tell you they all want to play against Gilles on clay to have revenge of Madrid and as you know the Spaniards are competitive and know how to rally 5 hours on clay, Nadal, Ferrer, Verdasco, Almagro, Robredo. the whole davis cup squad wants to play Gilles on clay, go figure sadly how popular is Gilles here.

isabelle86
04-05-2009, 07:26 AM
I started to follow Wawrinka because as a junior he was very the talk in Radio Roland Garros, he was popular since day 1 and very skinny. He had a horrible end of 2008 but I am happy to see he has comeback and he is playing very well. I think he is more mature and knows how to handle the key points. He celebrated birthday last week winning his match vs Seppi. Alwas a fan of Stan since he turned pro. He stood tall in the davis cup tie vs USA and make me very happy.

MsTree
04-05-2009, 07:42 AM
Off topic #1
Jarryd was not too bad in singles too, he reached the #5 spot in 1985 or 86 (ohhhh I'm so old...) and he NEARLY beat Boris Becker in an epic rain plagued Wimbledon SF, the first year Becker won it. He was lightning fast round the court and a very intelligent player, my first ever true favourite :inlove:
Who says no one ever remembers the runners up? :devil:

Off topic #2
I'm just d/l Stan and Fed's F and SF matches from the Olympics, really looking forward to watching them :) He's a nice player to watch, I'm just raiding the Stan forum for pics just now :lol:

Back on topic again hopefully
One of my fave Gillou pics to get us in the mood for clay :hearts:
http://www.gillessimon.tennisfans.net/images/casablanca2008.jpg

krn81
04-05-2009, 08:33 AM
Isabelle, I did not know that all the spanish davis cup wanted to play Gillou in Madrid and beat him. Definitely, I would love to have the same than last years, a semi between him and Nadal (with of course the same result).
From historic point of view, I am fan of matches on clay, but this year looks to be special. There are lot of good players and for some of them we dont know how they will play on clay. I am thinking to Verdasco, to Murray for instance and what will be the reaction of Federer, how will deal Gilles on clay, his confidence looks to be back and his status changed from last year. Will Monfils play as good as last year? All these questions get a nice introduction to the clay season and give also more interested than last years. I am not sure the final of RG will be again Nadal-Federer this year. I am doubting about Federer, for Nadal, almost no doubt, even without a knie, he will be able to win.
Anyway to beat Nadal on clay will be an exploit, specially if it happens in Monte Carlo, Madrid or RG.

isabelle86
04-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Isabelle, I did not know that all the spanish davis cup wanted to play Gillou in Madrid and beat him. Definitely, I would love to have the same than last years, a semi between him and Nadal (with of course the same result).
From historic point of view, I am fan of matches on clay, but this year looks to be special. There are lot of good players and for some of them we dont know how they will play on clay. I am thinking to Verdasco, to Murray for instance and what will be the reaction of Federer, how will deal Gilles on clay, his confidence looks to be back and his status changed from last year. Will Monfils play as good as last year? All these questions get a nice introduction to the clay season and give also more interested than last years. I am not sure the final of RG will be again Nadal-Federer this year. I am doubting about Federer, for Nadal, almost no doubt, even without a knie, he will be able to win.
Anyway to beat Nadal on clay will be an exploit, specially if it happens in Monte Carlo, Madrid or RG.

Hi Carine! :wavey: all the Armada wants revenge against Gilles in all the clay events after what happened to boss Nadal in Madrid last year. Simon is among the three enemies of the armada, the others are Del Potro and Djokovic.
Imho the final of RG could be Djokovic vs Nadal, and the match in Hamburg last season was very close, but RG is best of 5 sets.
Murray was schooled by Almagro at RG, he needs all the help of Corretja to try to win a lot on clay.
Monfils is interesting, he seems he handle well the pressure last year but I watched him in Acapulco and he din not play well.
Tsonga, in the worst scheduling decision of the season got injured in Casablanca and did not play the european slams, I belive he can be next gs champion if he is on his A game but sometimes he is not focused and lacks consistency.
Verdasco like Lopez is more a harcourt player than a clay court specialist but he is dangerous floater.
Federer will only play in Rome and Madrid and Nadal will play too much before RG, Montecarlo, Roma, Barcelona, Madrid, he can be tired at RG.

Gilles, I always keep my expectations low with him to not feel depressed if he loses early but I have good feelings, I think it's all about if he manages to handle the pressure in the key moments of the matches. What do you expect of our Gilles?

krn81
04-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Hi Isabelle,:wavey:
Well it is difficult to answer today, this clay season looks to be important but I have no idea how it will turn. Monte Carlo will already give some indications. For sure, Nadal will win at least one or 2 tournaments, I will bet on RG and Monte Carlo. The one where lot of others players have a good chance to win is Rome. I think Gillou will play good there and will go far in the draw.
After for the final of RG I was not thinking to Djoko, I think we can have a surprise, a Frenchy (I can still dream) or another one.
I dont think Tsonga will be good on clay, he will just try to get points but the three others french will have probably better results.
I was closed to go to Madrid this year but I decide myself too late, but for sure, next years I will try to see a big tournament on clay. We are realy lucky that all of them are in Europe. ;)

Cloudygirl
04-05-2009, 09:13 AM
I think Gilles might go deep in one clay court tournie.

isabelle86
04-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Hi Isabelle,:wavey:
Well it is difficult to answer today, this clay season looks to be important but I have no idea how it will turn. Monte Carlo will already give some indications. For sure, Nadal will win at least one or 2 tournaments, I will bet on RG and Monte Carlo. The one where lot of others players have a good chance to win is Rome. I think Gillou will play good there and will go far in the draw.
After for the final of RG I was not thinking to Djoko, I think we can have a surprise, a Frenchy (I can still dream) or another one.
I dont think Tsonga will be good on clay, he will just try to get points but the three others french will have probably better results.
I was closed to go to Madrid this year but I decide myself too late, but for sure, next years I will try to see a big tournament on clay. We are realy lucky that all of them are in Europe. ;)

Oh yes, we are so lucky to finally have a good sleep pattern with all the tournaments until Roland Garros in Europe! :) I will go to Madrid, I have been waiting 2 decades to see a big combined mandatory event in Spain, the benue is a state of the art building! :)
A french player in the final of Roland Garros will be awesome!! a dream come true!! Gael was so close last year! I don't see Richard doing well at RG, he is better at Wimbledon.
I think we will see the best version of Gilles in Rome and Madrid, don't know how he will handle the pressure at RG, hope he will be smart, not nervous and remain positive.

I don't care about Rafa, I only want to see Gilles winning as much as possible!! :)

anaquot
04-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Spanish architecture is so uninhibited, I love how the new stadium looks in pictures. Isa, you get to see it and sit inside of it! I am jealous :)
I'm just itching to watch Gilles play on clay this year. I watched some of the youtube coverage of him from previous years, but it isn't the same. I have no idea what it is like, I've never stepped foot on a clay court in my life, but they make it look so fun, sliding all over the place. I cringe for their ankles and knees every time :lol: but they are professionals! Tick tock tick tock...

port37
04-06-2009, 04:17 AM
I tend to be pretty impatient, so the slower nature of the game doesn't jive with me. The dirt also isn't appealing. I really dislike dirty socks and shoes.

I'm fine with dirty socks as long as I'm not the one who has to clean them :D

Of course, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me to favor two players who's best surface tends to be clay. Hmmn. They're both fabulous on hardcourts too though. I'll try to think more positively about clay, but I'll probably always be a fast-paced hardcourt lover. :)

Stan made the final of Rome last year! Only because Andy retired of course :devil: I'm kidding! :lol:
It is a different sort of excitement clay tennis because you don't get the quickfire winners but even if the tennis doesn't excite you the landscapes can be very pretty such as Monte Carlo and I'm looking forward to the Madrid bullring too, looked great during last year's Spain v USA davis cup tie and I hope to see some photos of Isa getting her bra signed by Gilles :lol:

And Isa, I don't think Rafa gets tired! He's played Monte Carlo, Rome, Barca and Hamburg most years and still won RG.

Hopefully Gilles can do really well in at least one of the Masters events, Rome probably is the best bet, it tends to be the one that seems more up for grabs but there are so many dangerous players on clay. I'd love to see him play Federer on clay and beat him again :D

isabelle86
04-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Hi Autumn,:wavey: the work of the new stadium is finished, Lenny Kravitz will be the first singer to perform in the Magic Box.
I was there 1 month ago, it is going to be quite funny with 3 lovely stadiums with retractable roof, the venue is so big, there could be problems trying to follow and find where your fave player is, like where the practise sessions of Gilles will start, there are more than 30 courts.

Hi Alyce! :wavey:I will do my warmup during the atp 500 Barcelona with Jo, I'll try that he will sign me my panties!!:lol: if all goes according to plan I'll be resdy for our Gillou in Madrid! :lick: I really hope he will do very well in all 3 MS events before Roland Garros! :)
the Estadio Manolo Santana, (stadium 1), Estadio Arantxa SV (stadium 2) and Estadio 3 are state of the art buidings
here are some pics:

http://www.espinillo.org/barrio/novedades/caja-magica/070822-ayto/panel.jpg

Allez Gillou!!!:)

anaquot
04-07-2009, 02:01 AM
I know what it is now, the stadium reminds me of a butterfly.

isabelle86
04-07-2009, 02:13 AM
Hi dear Autumn, a butterfly, why?
in this web you can see pic of the stadiums as they were in january almost completed
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=507500

anaquot
04-07-2009, 02:20 AM
In one of the photos, with the roofs up like they are wings. In the link you posted though, it is most definitely the magic box :)

isabelle86
04-07-2009, 02:29 AM
do you like Butterfly?
I don't know why they put a retractable roof to the 3 main stadiums, only Flinders Park will have 3 stadiums with a retractable roof, next year new one at MCA. As you know, it never rains in may or is too hot in Madrid in may. :)

you told me your feelings towards clay, super cool to read I must say.
which are your feelings towards our Gilles during the clay season, it seems to me you know him well and you're great predicting the outcome of touranments. thanks Autumn! :)

anaquot
04-07-2009, 02:54 AM
Me! Making predictions! I only ever hope for Gilles to surprise us with his talent and personality on court :) I think though, given the right opponent, he will have some more shining moments like last year for us to enjoy.

isabelle86
04-07-2009, 03:04 AM
I admire your humility Autumn, it's one of the most important things in a person and I love the good feelings you always have iinvolving our dear Gilles, the little greek goat! :)
I can not wait to watch him in Monte Carlo, I hope there will be streams available also of Court des Princes (the 2nd most important at MCCC). Can not wait to see him on coutt.
I admire his personality so much and the way you always talk about Gilles, how will you describe his personality?
very curios, Autumn.

isabelle86
04-07-2009, 07:12 AM
Masters Series Montecarlo!! :)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_tKuM1yqITvo/SAw9TfRmX1I/AAAAAAAAAPA/hRrkWtqwl5Q/s400/mccc%5B1%5D.jpg

Dates: SUNDAY 12–SUNDAY 19 APRIL 2009
Prize Money: €2,750,000
56 DRAW (Q28)

SITE: MONTE-CARLO COUNTRY CLUB
155 AVENUE PRINCESSE GRACE
06190 ROQUEBRUNE CAP MARTIN, FRANCE
SURFACE: RED CLAY
BALL: HEAD ATP
PRIZE MONEY: EUROS. ALL PRIZE MONEY TO BE PAID BY ATP.
WEB SITE: http://montecarlo.masters-series.com...me/default.asp

Qualifying draw: Friday, April 10, 9:00 p.m.
Main draw: Saturday, April 11, Noon
Doubles draw: Saturday, April 11, 6:00 p.m.

ATP Ranking Points
W: 1000
F: 600
SF: 360
QF: 180
R16: 90
R32: 45 (Seeds 1-8: 10)
R64: 10 (WC: 0)
Q: +25
Q14: 14
Q28: 0
Seeding: April 6, 2009

Official Entry List 2009
(ATP Ranking as of 09/03/2009)

1 Nadal, Rafael (ESP)
3 Djokovic, Novak (SRB)
4 Murray, Andy (GBR)
5 Davydenko, Nikolay (RUS)
6 del Potro, Juan Martin (ARG)
8 Simon, Gilles (FRA)
9 Gael Monfils (FRA)
10 Verdasco, Fernando (ESP)
12 Ferrer, David (ESP)
14 Nalbandian, David (ARG)
15 Robredo, Tommy (ESP)
16 Wawrinka, Stanislas (SUI)
18 Stepanek, Radek (CZE)
19 Cilic, Marin (CRO)
21 Almagro, Nicolas (ESP)
22 Berdych, Tomas (CZE)
23 Andreev, Igor (RUS)
24 Gasquet, Richard (FRA)
25 Safin, Marat (RUS)
26 Soderling, Robin (SWE)
28 Karlovic, Ivo (CRO)
29 Ancic, Mario (CRO)
30 Schuettler, Rainer (GER)
32 Kiefer, Nicolas (GER)
33 Mathieu, Paul-Henri (FRA)
34 Lopez, Feliciano (ESP)
35 Montanes, Albert (ESP)
36 Kohlschreiber, Philipp (GER)
37 Hanescu, Victor (ROM)
38 Kunitysn, Igor (RUS)
39 Seppi, Andreas (ITA)
40 Bolelli, Simone (ITA)
41 Troicki, Viktor (SRB)
42 Acasuso, José (ARG)
43 Gulbis, Ernests (LAT)
44 Benneteau, Julien (FRA)
46 Tipsarevic, Janko (SRB)
47 Granollers, Marcel (ESP)
48 Chardy, Jeremy (FRA)
50 Serra, Florent (FRA)
52 Gicquel, Marc (FRA)
53 Rochus, Christophe (BEL)
54 Vassallo Arguello, Martin (ARG)
** Chela, Juan Ignacio (ARG)
(**Protected ranking - due to injury)

isabelle86
04-07-2009, 07:14 AM
ALLEZ GILLOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap2::bigclap::rocker2::rocker:

http://ivantricarico.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/monte-carlo1.jpg

rtgy
04-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Masters Series Montecarlo!! :)
Dates: SUNDAY 12–SUNDAY 19 APRIL 2009
Prize Money: €2,750,000
56 DRAW (Q28)

SITE: MONTE-CARLO COUNTRY CLUB
155 AVENUE PRINCESSE GRACE
06190 ROQUEBRUNE CAP MARTIN, FRANCE
SURFACE: RED CLAY
BALL: HEAD ATP
PRIZE MONEY: EUROS. ALL PRIZE MONEY TO BE PAID BY ATP.
WEB SITE: http://montecarlo.masters-series.com...me/default.asp

ATP Ranking Points
W: 1000
F: 600
SF: 360
QF: 180
R16: 90
R32: 45 (Seeds 1-8: 10)
R64: 10 (WC: 0)
Q: +25
Q14: 14
Q28: 0
Seeding: April 6, 2009

Official Entry List 2009
(ATP Ranking as of 09/03/2009)

1 Nadal, Rafael (ESP)
3 Djokovic, Novak (SRB)
4 Murray, Andy (GBR)
5 Davydenko, Nikolay (RUS)
6 del Potro, Juan Martin (ARG)
8 Simon, Gilles (FRA)

Isabelle you're gorgeous :worship::worship::worship:
:smooch:

ALLEZ GILLOU !!! :rocker: :rocker2:

Truc
04-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Jérémy is the 3rd player for France in Düsseldorf:
http://www.arag-world-team-cup.com/de/article/133/sieben_teams_stehen_fest
I actually wanted to post it in his thread, but I can't access it, "Database errors" galore again.

Naina
04-07-2009, 04:40 PM
thanks isabelle :)

MsTree
04-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Oh that's nice that Jeremy is going to the WTC too :)

Monte Carlo looks beautiful, I can just see Puschkin sunning herself by the side of a court while at least one Frenchie puts on a good show for her :cool: Hopefully ;)

isabelle86
04-07-2009, 07:57 PM
You're always welcome Naina and Yavor!! :)

Jérémy is the 3rd player for France in Düsseldorf:
http://www.arag-world-team-cup.com/de/article/133/sieben_teams_stehen_fest
I actually wanted to post it in his thread, but I can't access it, "Database errors" galore again.

I also have a lot of times the same problem trying to post in the board, it's annoying.
Françoise, do you know why Jeremy and Gilles started to play doubles together?

Truc
04-07-2009, 09:32 PM
No idea, sorry!
He's teaming up with Gicquel in Monte-Carlo, but they're only #5 on the alternates list. It looks like they've never won a match with Marc either, same as with Jérémy. :lol:

anaquot
04-08-2009, 01:55 AM
Oh Isa :hug: You are catching up to Fran as far as spoiling us with info and goodies goes :worship:
Gilles seems honest and balanced with just the right amount of ego, he has a strength of character that is apparent even just by reading his translated interviews (I don't understand French :sad: ). Really, though, what do I know of his personality. He may be a real pain in the butt in person :lol:

Only a few more days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :woohoo:

krn81
04-08-2009, 06:49 AM
No idea, sorry!
He's teaming up with Gicquel in Monte-Carlo, but they're only #5 on the alternates list. It looks like they've never won a match with Marc either, same as with Jérémy. :lol:

When was the last time he win a double match?
He lost first round in AO, IW and Miami...
So the doubles will be probably Jo/ Jeremy?
pfff I was waiting for a double JO/Gilles, I never saw him playing doubles, I will have to wait more. :rolleyes:

btw, when the draw will be announced for Monte Carlo?

rtgy
04-08-2009, 07:59 AM
pfff I was waiting for a double JO/Gilles, I never saw him playing doubles, I will have to wait more. :rolleyes:

:hug:

btw, when the draw will be announced for Monte Carlo?

but-it's-ok
04-08-2009, 08:08 AM
I cant wait to see Gilles play again:bounce::bounce: It seems like forever since we saw him last. Hoping for a kind draw for Gillou,there are so many quality,dangerous clay courters. I hope they all have had a bit of memory lapse(they've all forgotten how to play drop shots):p

isabelle86
04-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Hi Di! :wavey: it's a Masters Series event, so there are no easy opponents, and if you take a look at the entry list it's clear with Montecarlo being non mandatory this year, the players are all good on clay. It's almost like the MS of the clay court specialists.:)

krn81
04-08-2009, 08:24 AM
thanks Yavor :hug:

the main draw is Saturday at noon?
but the first singles round starts sunday at 10h30 (http://montecarlo.masters-series.com/1/en/oop/schedule.asp), so it means that we will have less than one day to fill in the atp draw :confused:
It is really short.

but-it's-ok
04-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Isabelle:wavey: I know,thats what really makes me:scared: Out of the direct entries list you kindly posted,I'd say there were only about 6 players who I wouldn't class as dangerous clay courters. I'm such a tease I'm not going to name them:lol:

I don't like Sunday to Sunday starts. The first days play isn't on Sky Sports in England:(

isabelle86
04-08-2009, 08:32 AM
Our fave player Gilles Simon is 2-3 in Monte Carlo, it's one of his worst Masters Series in terms of results,
last 2 seasons both 1st round exits! did not win a set (only 6 games) in last 2 seasons against the Spanish clay court maestros.

R64 Gabashvili, Teimuraz (RUS) 128 6-4 6-2
R32 Berdych, Tomas (CZE) 24 7-6(2) 6-7(5) 6-4
R16 Ljubicic, Ivan (CRO) 5 3-6 2-6

R64 Ferrer, David (ESP) 16 3-6 1-6

R64 Ramirez Hidalgo, Ruben (ESP) 137 1-6 1-6

but-it's-ok
04-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Isabelle,Gilles wont lose in 1st round 3 years in a row,3rd time is lucky;)

isabelle86
04-08-2009, 08:48 AM
I hope as always you will be right! :)
if he has bad results again during the clay season including Roland Garros, journalists and fans will start "massacre time" against Gilles. very sad.

but-it's-ok
04-08-2009, 08:54 AM
I actually feel that Gael and Jo may be under more pressure from the French press for RG than Gilles. But,even the most optimistic French fan/journalist will not be seeing any of those 3 as a favourite to WIN,more as a fancied semi-finalist:shrug:

Only if one or all of the top 3 Frenchmen lose before the 4th round could I see any kind of quite fierce negative writing from the French press. All 3 of them will be under equal spotlight from the French media I think,come RG time.

The key thing is for Gilles not to put pressure upon himself,which I don't see him doing.

This is not how I see the French players performing at RG,rather more as I think the French press may see things going.

Obviously I hope Gilles goes far,and all of the French do well.

rtgy
04-08-2009, 10:49 AM
thanks Yavor :hug:

the main draw is Saturday at noon?
but the first singles round starts sunday at 10h30 (http://montecarlo.masters-series.com/1/en/oop/schedule.asp), so it means that we will have less than one day to fill in the atp draw :confused:
It is really short.

well yes it's short indeed :shrug:

Truc
04-08-2009, 04:20 PM
So the doubles will be probably Jo/ Jeremy?
pfff I was waiting for a double JO/Gilles, I never saw him playing doubles, I will have to wait more. :rolleyes:You need to see that indeed, it's quite cute to watch Gillou play doubles with his sexy volleys!

But if everybody really turns up in Düsseldorf (which remains to be seen), they can change the team for each match. The point probably is for everybody to get some match practice, I guess they will play with different pairings in singles and in doubles.

krn81
04-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Fran, do you mean there will be more than one double? I thought it was only one double match per team.

isabelle86
04-08-2009, 04:35 PM
there are 1 doubles match against each of the 3 teams of your group. in total 3 doubles matches and 6 singles matches against the other 3 teams. if you reach the final 2 singles and the doubles match.

krn81
04-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the info Isabelle.

So it means there is lot of chances that we will be able to see Gilles playing doubles, cool :bounce:

Cloudygirl
04-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Won't he have a bye for the first round?

Truc
04-09-2009, 06:15 AM
An interview in Le Parisien today:
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3158/objectifquart.th.jpg (http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=objectifquart.jpg)

Truc
04-09-2009, 06:33 AM
He started training again in Paris at the beginning of the week. Gently because he often got injured in the past at the beginning of the clay season, it's not easy to adjust the footwork.
He finds it too bad Monte-Carlo is so early in the season and they have no time to really prepare the clay season which is very heavy with 3 Masters Series and a Slam in 6 weeks.
His goals: still be in the top 8 for RG and then play up to his rank like in Melbourne. To go further will take a few feats...
When he's asked if he already feels the pressure for RG, he says the important thing for him is his own expectations, not the pressure. It will be tough in the first rounds, but if he manages to win those matches and more and more people are cheering for one, it can become fabulous. The way they make it past the first rounds is not important, Gaël was the best example last year.
And then he talks about Nadal. He says playing Nadal on clay is the most difficult thing ever in his opinion, more difficult than playing Sampras and Fed on grass. To beat Nadal in Roland-Garros is the ultimate achievement for anybody. But it would amuse him to play against him.
Nadal's probability to reach the final of RG again, barring an injury -> 99,9%. Fed has a fifty-fifty chance in his opinion - he loses matches and looks more human, but he never loses to players ranked #20 or #30, only to Nadal, Djokovic and Murray.

MsTree
04-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Draw is out!!!
http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2009/410/mds.pdf

Gillou - Keifer? then Jim/Monaco/Schuettler/Robredo :eek: then Fed or Stan :D

but-it's-ok
04-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Good luck Gillou:rocker2:

krn81
04-11-2009, 11:46 AM
This draw gives me on hope... "A third accident" :D

rtgy
04-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Draw is out!!!
http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2009/410/mds.pdf

:eek::eek::eek:

oh la la.............what a draw:rolleyes:
Thanx Les:hug:

ALLEZ GILLOU !!! :rocker: :rocker2:

This draw gives me on hope... "A third accident" :D

:lol:

port37
04-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Draw is out!!!

Very tricky potential opponents but I'm confident Gilles can beat those players. I would love to see a "third accident" Karine on clay :) Although I don't think Gilles could be modest after a third win over Fed, he'd have to admit that he OWNS the Fed :devil:

MsTree
04-11-2009, 01:17 PM
I want to believe Stan can take Fed out this time but it would be hilarious to see Gillou beat Fed again :devil:
R3 is the danger zone for Gillou I feel :eek:
H2H v Kiefer 0-1
H2H v Monaco 3-1 (2-1 on clay)
H2H v Schuettler 4-0 (never met on clay) ***Pigeon opportunity*** :D
H2H v Robredo 1-4 (Robredo has won all 3 meetings on clay) ***Pigeon opportunity*** :eek:
H2H v Federer :devil: I know it doesn't need to be said :devil: 2-0 :D

Gillou has never played Jim or Stan :)

port37
04-11-2009, 01:41 PM
I want to believe Stan can take Fed out this time but it would be hilarious to see Gillou beat Fed again :devil:
R3 is the danger zone for Gillou I feel :eek:
H2H v Kiefer 0-1
H2H v Monaco 3-1 (2-1 on clay)
H2H v Schuettler 4-0 (never met on clay) ***Pigeon opportunity*** :D
H2H v Robredo 1-4 (Robredo has won all 3 meetings on clay) ***Pigeon opportunity*** :eek:

Gillou has never played Jim or Stan :)

Gillou v Jim would be an interesting match up, they've played a fair bit of (1st round) doubles this year and can you imagine Alli for a Gillou v Stan match :eek: :D

anaquot
04-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Gillou v Jim would be an interesting match up, they've played a fair bit of (1st round) doubles this year and can you imagine Alli for a Gillou v Stan match :eek: :D
:lol: It is good to get those over with, then you really know who your favorite is. Who will it be, Alli?

rtgy
04-11-2009, 05:07 PM

Gosh Les I still can't believe that's real............Gillou:worship::worship::worship:

Guy Haines
04-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Robredo is the big problem in terms of Gilles making another date with the new groom. He's 15-1 on clay so far this year, albeit largely against this era's not so great array of clay specialists.

Allez Gillou!

I'm really hoping he has some strong results this season, especially since he was dealing with injury during some of it last year.

PS: I wouldn't mind it if Stan breaks through against Federer should they meet.

Guy Haines
04-12-2009, 02:47 AM
I would LOVE IT if Stan took out Fed. He could finally emerge from the shadow. I can't help but think it's time. :D If not, let's brace ourselves for a third 'accident' :devil: :lol:

I suspect that Stan is the player Fed would be least bothered about losing to in Monte Carlo, at this particular moment in time.

And Stan's time has come, since he did so well in Rome and put on such a battle in Miami (I didn't see the Nadal match, but get the impression he won a lot of fans, including Nadal fans). I'll be rooting for him for sure.

But if a third "accident" must take place, so be it. :D

Naina
04-12-2009, 09:28 AM
allez Gillou:bounce:
He wont play till wednesday right??

rtgy
04-12-2009, 12:00 PM
I would LOVE IT if Stan took out Fed. He could finally emerge from the shadow. I can't help but think it's time. :D If not, let's brace ourselves for a third 'accident' :devil: :lol:

amen to that!!!!!! :worship::worship::worship:

rtgy
04-12-2009, 12:03 PM
He wont play till wednesday right??

I think so :scratch:
:shrug:

Puschkin
04-12-2009, 05:39 PM
strangely enough: no trace of Gilles in practise, neither yesterday, nor today. I did watch matches in between, but they were short, so I really wonder how I could have missed him unless he was very early bird. :confused:

Naina
04-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Surprise Surprise Gillou plays not once but twice tomorrow:D

COURT CENTRAL start 10:30 am
[9] G Monfils (FRA) vs J Tipsarevic (SRB)
[6] G Simon (FRA) vs [Q] A Beck (GER)
[4] A Murray (GBR) vs V Hanescu (ROU)
[Q] O Hernandez (ESP) vs [3] N Djokovic (SRB)
J Chardy (FRA) / G Simon (FRA) vs N Davydenko (RUS) / O Marach (AUT)

Lucky for me I can watch. Cant wait:angel:
Allez!!!

Jess22
04-13-2009, 05:09 PM
That's such a good order :D First 3 matches and the last one<3

rtgy
04-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Surprise Surprise Gillou plays not once but twice tomorrow:D

COURT CENTRAL start 10:30 am
[9] G Monfils (FRA) vs J Tipsarevic (SRB)
[6] G Simon (FRA) vs [Q] A Beck (GER)
[4] A Murray (GBR) vs V Hanescu (ROU)
[Q] O Hernandez (ESP) vs [3] N Djokovic (SRB)
J Chardy (FRA) / G Simon (FRA) vs N Davydenko (RUS) / O Marach (AUT)

Lucky for me I can watch. Cant wait:angel:
Allez!!!

Thanx Naina :hug:

ALLEZ GILLU !!!:rocker:

but-it's-ok
04-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Gillou twice in one day:bounce: I wish the doubles was on for me to watch too:(

Allez Gillou:rocker:

Puschkin
04-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Still no sighting of Gilles on the practice courts today, but I may have missed him, watched a lot CC myself, but tomorrow he can't escape as he is on CC twice. :)

Cloudygirl
04-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Hunt him down hon.

MsTree
04-13-2009, 06:07 PM
I'll just second what cloudygirl said :devil:

Now here's the downside to having a regular sleeping pattern during the clay season - I'm at work and will miss the show. :sad: What a great line up though :bigcry:

Allez Gilles, Andy and Gael! :)

Truc
04-13-2009, 07:36 PM
http://montecarlo.masters-series.com/1/fr/news/newsarticle_3108.asp
He says that unlike most players, he hits more winners on clay than on hardcourt because it's easier for him to settle down his game on clay. He finds it easier to play offensive tennis on clay, it's tougher to do on hardcourt against fast servers who immediately drive him back behind the baseline.
He likes the club of Monte-Carlo because he used to play there when he was young with Benjamin Balleret. It's a special tournament for him since it's so close to Nice, it's the only time of the year with Marseille his family comes to see him play.

rtgy
04-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Now here's the downside to having a regular sleeping pattern during the clay season - I'm at work and will miss the show. :sad: What a great line up though :bigcry:

Les:smooch:

Cloudygirl
04-13-2009, 10:26 PM
I'll just second what cloudygirl said :devil:

me too will catch the last match of the day if I am lucky :( This makes me sad.

Truc
04-14-2009, 06:57 AM
He says again in L'Equipe he needs more time than other players to adjust to clay (that's probably the reason why he always does so poorly in Monte-Carlo). He's been training on clay for one week and still hasn't quite got his bearings, he sounds very cautious. So he's far from dreaming of RG yet, all the more since he has never made it past the 2nd round there.
His wish for this season? "To be more powerful than the other years - tough goal..."

It's strange Margarera didn't see him in training since it sounds like he needs to spend more time than the others on the practice courts, on the contrary. Beck has already won 3 matches, I hope Gilles won't be too much out of practice.
Beck says he was playing very well against Devilder, not so great in his 2 other matches.

rtgy
04-14-2009, 08:43 AM
His wish for this season? "To be more powerful than the other years - tough goal..."

well................. tough is the word indeed!!! but I believe in him ;)

ALLEZ GILLOU !!! :rocker:

Truc
04-14-2009, 09:04 AM
One of the journalists of "Carrément Tennis" also said last time his lack of power is going to be punishing on clay, he really was very categorical (in a negative way) about Gilles' chances on clay. And it's funny how all the people who don't follow Gilles so closely assume clay is not a good surface for him, even Labamba who really knows his tennis said so in GM last time.
I can see their point, but if Gilles does as well as Kolya on clay, I'll be delighted.
(And if people don't expect anything from him on clay, that's perfect.)

He's in the stands watching Gaël.

rtgy
04-14-2009, 10:28 AM
rebreak and 3-2...................ALLEZ GILLOU!!!!

Brownie
04-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Down 0-40 and wins the game...niiiice :D

Hi Yavor:wavey:

rtgy
04-14-2009, 10:36 AM
One of the journalists of "Carrément Tennis" also said last time his lack of power is going to be punishing on clay, he really was very categorical (in a negative way) about Gilles' chances on clay. And it's funny how all the people who don't follow Gilles so closely assume clay is not a good surface for him, even Labamba who really knows his tennis said so in GM last time.

well we'll see.................:cool:

I can see their point, but if Gilles does as well as Kolya on clay, I'll be delighted.
(And if people don't expect anything from him on clay, that's perfect.)

:lol: yes that's more than enough for me too ;)

btw, 4-3(from 0-40:eek:)

rtgy
04-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Hi Yavor:wavey:

Hi :wavey:

Brownie
04-14-2009, 10:40 AM

Is this your first Gilles-on-clay match too? :)

but-it's-ok
04-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Hi guys:wavey:

rtgy
04-14-2009, 10:47 AM
broken.........again 4-5 :sad::sad::sad:

but-it's-ok
This guy Beck,he's playing scary good:(

Jess22
Hey everyone :wavey:

40-0 up on his serve and he loses it :(

Brownie
04-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi Di! How are you doing (besides the fact Gilles just got broken)? :D

Hi Jess :wavey:

Brownie
04-14-2009, 10:52 AM
And another break :lol: 5-5 Beck seems amazingly confident, doesn't he?

rtgy
04-14-2009, 10:52 AM

Is this your first Gilles-on-clay match too? :)

yes ;)
I'm now losing my Gillou/clay virginity :rolls:

Hi guys :wavey:

5-5 :bounce:

but-it's-ok
04-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Lauren,I'm feeling better now Gilles is back in the set:D

Yavor,you do make me laugh:hug:

but-it's-ok
04-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Uh oh spoke too soon. Beck is overpowering Gillou:( BP:help:

Yes Gillou get angry,let it out,you need to.

rtgy
04-14-2009, 10:55 AM
:o:o:o:o:o........5-6:confused:

Brownie
04-14-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm now losing my Gillou/clay virginity :rolls:

:rolls:

Well, broken again. :p Smashing a racket, doesn't have quite the same effect on clay, eh?

but-it's-ok
04-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Gillou still has that cold:awww::hug:

rtgy
04-14-2009, 10:59 AM
5-7:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

but-it's-ok
04-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Oh Gillou:awww:

but-it's-ok
04-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Beck is giving Gillou no rhythm,every rally is ending on Beck's winners or errors.

but-it's-ok
04-14-2009, 11:06 AM
1-0 Gillou:bounce:

I don't think Gillou's well enough to grind out the match today:sad:

rtgy
04-14-2009, 11:06 AM

Well, broken again. :p Smashing a racket, doesn't have quite the same effect on clay, eh?

let's hope he'll improve................ a little:lol:

Gillou still has that cold:awww::hug:

:tape::awww:

Jess22
04-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Poor Gillou :hug:
Hopefully he can win this match though, really would like to see another match

but-it's-ok
04-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Better rally there from Gillou 30 all:bounce:

The backhand:hearts:

Break point:banana: Saved:(

Brownie
04-14-2009, 11:11 AM
This is frustrating :(

but-it's-ok
04-14-2009, 11:12 AM
Beck worked those angles,then a good serve

1-1.

Allez Gillou,I feel for you today.

rtgy
04-14-2009, 11:15 AM
broken /by himself/......................:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:
1-2

but-it's-ok
04-14-2009, 11:16 AM
He looks really uncomfortable out there today,Beck is dictating everything:(

but-it's-ok
04-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Allez Gillou:bounce:

Nice aggression:hearts:

He was going so well in this game,playing with more freedom 40-0 up,now he's struggling.

Deuce:awww:

DF. He's falling apart:sad:

Jess22
04-14-2009, 11:22 AM
2 double faults :o 2nd break :sad:
I feel so sorry for him he's so annoyed

Brownie
04-14-2009, 11:23 AM
:awww: That's rough.

but-it's-ok
04-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Gillou:sobbing:

lisaplenske
04-14-2009, 11:25 AM
well awful tennis day for the french players:retard:

yesterday it began with alize cornet in barcelona, monfils who played an absolutly awful match and now gilles who fails against who??carol beck??whose that guy and what the hell gilles is doing right now??:tape:

but-it's-ok
04-14-2009, 11:26 AM
1-5:sad:

Brownie
04-14-2009, 11:30 AM
:sad:

but-it's-ok
04-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Gillou:awww::sad:

Jess22
04-14-2009, 11:32 AM
:sad: Gillou go sleep and get well :hug:
This day is going so badly first Gael now Simon so much for the nice order of play :sad:

rtgy
04-14-2009, 11:32 AM
5-7 1-6:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Gillou:hug:

but-it's-ok
04-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Get rid of that cold Gillou:hug::hug:

Truc
04-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Having a cold doesn't explain his woeful serving performance. He always spends the clay season blowing his nose during the changeovers anyway, it was the same in Rome and Hamburg last year, maybe he has some kind of allergy. It's not an excuse for such a pathetic performance.yesterday it began with alize cornet in barcelona, monfils who played an absolutly awful match and now gilles who fails against who??carol beck??whose that guy and what the hell gilles is doing right now??:tape:Andy Beck, not Karol ("Andrewww" according to the Betfair idiot). He can play tennis on a good day, I saw him in Hamburg or against Blake last year in Halle, he's not that bad. But it was not so much the point today, Gilles was disgraceful.
I had forgotten about Cornetto! It's a close call between them indeed. Gaël' performance still takes the cake, but Gilles was a close 2nd.

Naina
04-14-2009, 11:55 AM
That is the crappiest I have seen Gillou play eveeerrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!:(
Wonder whats wrong with the frenchies today. Atleast the PHM match is competitive..

isabelle86
04-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Isabelle,Gilles wont lose in 1st round 3 years in a row,3rd time is lucky;)

Andreas Beck d. Gilles Simon 7-5, 6-1 in 1 hour 20 minutes!

1set, broken in his fist service game!
suffering physically! with a cold! unhealthy!
the german was helping, with double faults, each time Simon was broken he broke back.
Beck was serving the set at 5-4 and was broken!
Gilles 1st serve totally deserted him!
not confortable at all, no power in grounstrokes, very poor display and the racquet went flying twice!
only 4 winners in the 1st set, 1st serve in 38%
2nd set! Beck breaks in 3rd game and it was the end for Gilles!
it was the worst match of his season by a mile! Pathetic!
no hitting the ball! 2 double faults and a double break for Beck! no rythm going
not confortable in everything! 1 serve in 39% 7 winners 29 ue.
a shout of "Stop!" from him at the beginning of the set!
he bites the red dust again of Monte Carlo again! his horrible run in the event continues!
he looked sick, with a cold! but no excuses! horrible display! Simon pathetic!

now he can ask for a wc to Barcelona, he has nothing to do in 12 days.
all the others musketeers are playing in Barcelona, including also Mathieu, Gicquel and Clement.
I guess his coach Tulasne didn't tell him he is the only french player to have won in Barcelona.
Gilles as bad and horrible as you can play.
if this is the start to the clay season and a pattern to the remaining clay events I can not wait for the hardcourt season.

Au revoir Gilles!!! it was depressing!!

Oh well, Gilles, there are more tournaments ahead!!! we are not going to lose hope!

There will be more chances!!
now let's see what he has to say! interesting

ALLEZ GILLES ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
in the good times and bad times!!! :)

Naina
04-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Andreas Beck d. Gilles Simon 7-5, 6-1 in 1 hour 20 minutes!

1set, broken in his fist service game!
suffering physically! with a cold! unhealthy!
the german was helping, with double faults, each time Simon was broken he broke back.
Beck was serving the set at 5-4 and was broken!
Gilles 1st serve totally deserted him!
not confortable at all, no power in grounstrokes, very poor display and the racquet went flying twice!
only 4 winners in the 1st set, 1st serve in 38%
2nd set! Beck breaks in 3rd game and it was the end for Gilles!
it was the worst match of his season by a mile! Pathetic!
no hitting the ball! 2 double faults and a double break for Beck! no rythm going
not confortable in everything! 1 serve in 39% 7 winners 29 ue.
a shout of "Stop!" from him at the beginning of the set!
he bites the red dust again of Monte Carlo again! his horrible run in the event continues!
he looked sick, with a cold! but no excuses! horrible display! Simon pathetic!

now he can ask for a wc to Barcelona, he has nothing to do in 12 days.
all the others musketeers are playing in Barcelona, including also Mathieu, Gicquel and Clement.
I guess his coach Tulasne didn't tell him he is the only french player to have won in Barcelona.
Gilles as bad and horrible as you can play.
if this is the start to the clay season and a pattern to the remaining clay events I can not wait for the hardcourt season.

Oh well, Gilles, there are more tournaments ahead!!! we are not going to lose hope!

He should ask for that WC. he needs match play.

Jess22
04-14-2009, 12:29 PM

:rocker2: Yep Allez Gilles! I agree he should ask for a WC, just to get like a couple of wins before Rome so he would feel bit more confident and not struggle in the bigger event

Truc
04-14-2009, 12:30 PM
"C'est un vrai match de merde, et j'en suis le premier étonné. Même s'il faut s'adapter, ce n'est pas une excuse, j'ai été mauvais, j'ai commis des fautes directes à gogo, sur mon service, je faisais des écarts incroyables, tout cela est assez inexpliquable. Je n'avais pas de timing, même si je ne suis pas inquiet cela ne me fait pas peur, j'étais vraiment perdu sur le terrain sans solution. J'ai dix jours pour trouver l'explication, 10 jours pour me soigner aussi car sur certains échanges longs j'ai du mal à respirer"
http://www.welovetennis.fr/masters-monte-carlo/11201-simon-un-match-de-merde
It was a really crappy match and I'm the first to be surprised. There always is an adjustment time, but it's not an excuse. I was poor, it was an error fest, my serve was incredibly inconsistent, all this is quite inexplicable. I had no timing. I'm not worried, I'm not afraid. I was lost on the court, I had no solution. Now I have 10 days to find the explanation and also to get better because I was out of breathe after some long rallies.

isabelle86
04-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Merci beaucoup as always to bring us his thoughts!! Françoise, you're the best, Gilles nº1 fan!!! :) what are your thoughts for the remaining clay events and his future?

un veritable match de merde!!! enough said!
so sad and painful to watch him!

do you think he is going to ask for a wc to play in Barcelona? only 2 available?
wc for Ferrero, Gonzo and Safin and the remaining should go to local players.
it pisses me and makes me mad: all the other french players (including doubles partner Chardy) are going to play there. what was he thinking?
did Tulasne tell him he is the only french player to have won in Barcelona? was Gilles expecting to reach the quartefinals in MonteCarlo??

a lot of pressure ahead for the rest of the clay season, remember the article in L'equipe when he said "clay is my fav. surface". this is the part of the season when he needs to earn ranking points. if he has not good results and has a bad RG, after what happened in Ostrava, media and haters will start the massacre time! I am very concerned and depressed!
don't need to mention after Wimby he has all his big ranking points to defend!

Always Allez Gilles! in the good times and more important in the bad times!

Nichele Hull
04-14-2009, 01:01 PM
He needs to play another tourney before Rome then there will be no excuse next time why he lost.

lisaplenske
04-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Having a cold doesn't explain his woeful serving performance. He always spends the clay season blowing his nose during the changeovers anyway, it was the same in Rome and Hamburg last year, maybe he has some kind of allergy. It's not an excuse for such a pathetic performance.Andy Beck, not Karol ("Andrewww" according to the Betfair idiot). He can play tennis on a good day, I saw him in Hamburg or against Blake last year in Halle, he's not that bad. But it was not so much the point today, Gilles was disgraceful.
I had forgotten about Cornetto! It's a close call between them indeed. Gaël' performance still takes the cake, but Gilles was a close 2nd.

oui indefendable sa prestation d'aujourdhui. Mais jpeux te dire que celle de cornet hier est la PIRE de tous. On dirait des fantomes sur le court c'est dingue! des yeux vides,un langage du corps negatif,lymphatique.
Faut pas qu'ils viennent à roland sils comptent jouer comme ça serieux. J'ai pas envie de perdre mon temps et d'etre frustré par leur pauvre performance.:(

but-it's-ok
04-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Isabelle:hug: I see you remembered my quote-oops!! I felt sure it would be 3rd time lucky,I didn't think he really could lose 3 times 1r in Monte Carlo.

A WC request would be a good idea. Its only early in the season..I refuse to be too worried..I remain optimistic,and want to keep perspective. The first match on clay,many opportunities yet;) I cant help smiling at the way Gilles reads matches afterwards:lol: Its easier after the event though,but he knows himself too well:lol: I think his assessment was spot on though. He didn't offer much out there today,he knows its not a level expected of a Top 10 player,which is why he'll improve,he knows where he went wrong.

I do think a lot of confidence has been knocked out of him since Ostrava,all he can do is be like us and stay positive;) He can turn things around his way.

No more dodgy tips on outcomes of 1st rounds from me:lol:;)

isabelle86
04-14-2009, 01:10 PM
He needs to play another tourney before Rome then there will be no excuse next time why he lost.
there's only Barcelona available next week before Rome, it was a horrible scheduling decision considering all the other french players are going to be there and his coach won the event.

Truc
04-14-2009, 01:12 PM
« C’est inexplicable de jouer aussi mal. Mon adversaire a vite compris que je jouais soit à deux à l’heure dans le carré, soit à trois à l’heure dehors. »
http://montecarlo.masters-series.com/1/fr/news/newsarticle_3117.asp
"It's inexplicable to play that poorly. My opponent understood very soon that my shots were either going at 2 km/h and landing in the service box or going at 3 km/h and landing outside of the court." :lol: (I don't know if my translation makes sense, but it's funny in French!)

isabelle86
04-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Isabelle:hug: I see you remembered my quote-oops!! I felt sure it would be 3rd time lucky,I didn't think he really could lose 3 times 1r in Monte Carlo.

A WC request would be a good idea. Its only early in the season..I refuse to be too worried..I remain optimistic,and want to keep perspective. The first match on clay,many opportunities yet;) I cant help smiling at the way Gilles reads matches afterwards:lol: Its easier after the event though,but he knows himself too well:lol: I think his assessment was spot on though. He didn't offer much out there today,he knows its not a level expected of a Top 10 player,which is why he'll improve,he knows where he went wrong.

I do think a lot of confidence has been knocked out of him since Ostrava,all he can do is be like us and stay positive;) He can turn things around his way.

No more dodgy tips on outcomes of 1st rounds from me:lol:;)

I never tohught he could also lost to a quali ranked around 80. impossible to imagine.

Thanks as always for your kind words very much needed in this moment! :)

Truc
04-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Yeah, it seemed like a big gamble to skip Barcelona since he has never done well in MC. His first interview doesn't sound like he's going to play Barcelona, but it was just after his match, he will probably think about it again.
I know it sounds silly, but I really suspect it's due for a big part to those ranking issues he explained last time in the interview on lequipe.fr. He wants to protect his seeding until Roland-Garros and can lose a lot of points in Barcelona.
I agree he needs match practice, he could even play the qualies, but he will probably be afraid of losing too many points if he loses in the 1st round then after having battled through the qualies.

rtgy
04-14-2009, 01:20 PM
un veritable match de merde!!! enough said!
so sad and painful to watch him!

a lot of pressure ahead for the rest of the clay season, remember the article in L'equipe when he said "clay is my fav. surface". this is the part of the season when he needs to earn ranking points.

yes that's a problem no doubt!!!! but we believe in him and be sure that soon he'll be ok! don't worry ;)

I am very concerned and depressed!

ehhhhh Isa HEAD UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hug:
:smooch:

don't need to mention after Wimby he has all his big ranking points to defend!

true.........:tape::tape:
/and Madrid is now coming soon too:eek:/ - I'm not very helpful with that I suppose:lol:

krn81
04-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks Isabelle and Fran for the reports.
I could not see the match, I never saw him play on clay and I will not be able to see him before Madrid now :sad::sad:

As you explained Fran, it looks he will not play Barcelona for this story of new ranking and atp500 as he lost some points in Rotterdam. Is there no atp250 next week? I guess if he loses early in atp250 it will not be damageable as if it happens in atp500 tournament.
When they decided the calendar they probably takes this in account, so let trust them....

But what a bad week for the french tennis seriously...

Truc
04-14-2009, 01:57 PM
At least his interviews amuse me: "Probably not far from a new mediocrity record."
http://www.leparisien.fr/sports/tennis/rien-n-allait-pour-simon-elimine-14-04-2009-479141.php
He says he had a good draw, but today he would have lost to everybody in the draw.
Wrong, Gilles! Maybe not to Gaël! It would have been a memorable match.

rtgy
04-14-2009, 02:25 PM
ATP Tour - Seeds tumble out in Monte Carlo: (http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/14042009/58/atp-tour-seeds-tumble-monte-carlo.html)

http://d.yimg.com/i//ng/sp/eurosport/20090414/25/79e51ec16d8ddc68fe70f08c9c1e5046.jpg

Gillou:

"I don't remember ever playing so badly," Simon said. "Nothing was right. Nothing was working. My forehand, my backhand, my serve, nothing.
I believe this match is a record."

:rolleyes:

Nichele Hull
04-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Maybe LLodra was the worst :lol: I thought he came out of this bad slump in Miami

Tutu
04-14-2009, 04:33 PM
OMG NO, this has to be some kind of late april fools. :sobbing: :tape:

Truc
04-14-2009, 04:34 PM
They lost in doubles too, 6-4 6-1.
Poor people with a Center Court ticket today...

Tutu
04-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Wow. What a horrible day for Gilles.

Truc
04-14-2009, 04:41 PM
He says he was doing OK in training, he played a few sets against good players and he was fine.
Tulasne also told him in the locker rooms: "I think it's the worst I've seen you play in 3 years".
http://www.sport24.com/tennis/atp/actualites/ce-match-etait-pourri-254990/

Nichele Hull
04-14-2009, 04:43 PM
ouch :o

Nichele Hull
04-14-2009, 04:46 PM
It was a bad performance.Gillou probably didn't listen to what his coach had to say after the match.Gilles seems to me a person that likes to figure things for himself the hard way

Naina
04-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks for his post match analysis:).At least he is honest about how crap he was out there:rolleyes:. I have a question: from what I read here, I understand that if Gillou plays Barca he can potentially lose points:confused:. How Come:scratch:? Sorry but the ranking/points thing is beyond me.:unsure:

Truc
04-14-2009, 05:08 PM
We talked about it last time in the other thread because he mentioned it in an interview last week:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=8405692#post8405692
I tried to explain it, but I don't know either how the new ranking system works.
You can find the translation of his interview a few posts later (it's the 3rd question), but his explanations are not very clear either.

Naina
04-14-2009, 05:15 PM
thankyou :D
ok I understand a little bit. I guess he better not play Barcelona then if it hurts his ranking at RG. looks like a tough situation to me coz he really needs proper matches under his belt.

isabelle86
04-14-2009, 05:22 PM
I have also no clue on ranking points!
please, tell me the points he will earn or lose in ms madrid on clay are the ones of last year ms hamburg? and then his sf results in Madrid on hard is the one he will defend in Shanghai?? is that correct? I hope so!

it's a very big gamble what he is doing trying to protect his ranking until Roland Garros.
only 1 match in Monte Carlo and only 2 events before the Grand Chelem is probably not enough match play to go deep at Porte d'Auteil.
what can we expect in Rome?
it seems to me he has serious fitness issues and confidence problems since Ostrava, correct?
Ostrava was those kind of defeats very difficult to overcome.

he's 5'11", 145 lbs. 1m 80 cms, 69 kilos
Do you think he needs to try to add some weight and muscle as Bolletieri said in Miami, would it make a difference?

MsTree
04-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Aw Gillou :hug: Guys :hug:
I felt AWFUL just looking at the livescore and not having you guys to chat to or find out how he was playing. I let out the loudest FFS at matchpoint with my boss standing next to me :devil: He said he understood though! ;) Thanks for the commentary. Back to the drawing board!

Truc
04-14-2009, 05:30 PM
please, tell me the points he will earn or lose in ms madrid on clay are the ones of last year ms hamburg? and then his sf results in Madrid on hard is the one he will defend in Shanghai?? is that correct? I hope so!Yes, he will lose his points of his Madrid final in October 2009 and it will coincide with the new Shanghai event. They keep their points for 12 months.

soulage
04-14-2009, 05:31 PM
What a day for french tennis :eek: The clay is a surface which don't forgive :o

isabelle86
04-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Yes, he will lose his points of his Madrid final in October 2009 and it will coincide with the new Shanghai event. They keep their points for 12 months.

Merci, I am so stunned about what happened today, I wrote his sf result in Madrid instead of runner up result.
what do you think about him needing to gain some weight and muscle?
you said in the interview in the video interview last week with l'equipe "en aparte" he had a cold, it was also obvious to me.
do you think he can have some health probelms? today he had again a terrible cold and looked very unhealthy. I am very concerned about his fitness/health at the moment.

Puschkin
04-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Seems as if I am the great Gilles-jinxer. :o That's the third time I saw him live, and it gets from bad to worse. :sad:

MsTree
04-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Maybe he keeps spotting you in the crowd and loses concentration on his game :devil:

rtgy
04-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Seems as if I am the great Gilles-jinxer. :o That's the third time I saw him live, and it gets from bad to worse. :sad:

yes I remember your "Vienna experience" too :lol:

Puschkin
04-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Maybe he keeps spotting you in the crowd and loses concentration on his game :devil:
:haha: That is highly unlikely. And if so, I would love to extend theses "skills" to Nadal.:p

Truc
04-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Seems as if I am the great Gilles-jinxer. :o That's the third time I saw him live, and it gets from bad to worse. :sad:I really sympathized with you today! Gaël's match alone was already shocking, but the combo Gaël-Gilles in a row took it to a new dimension. It was unreal.

I hadn't seen they have his interview in English on the tournament website:
http://montecarlo.masters-series.com/2/en/players/interviews/stories/09_simon3.asp

Puschkin
04-14-2009, 06:23 PM
I thought of you today! Gaël's match alone was already shocking, but the combo Gaël-Gilles in a row really took it to a new dimension.
:topic: But I got to see Richard, so my day was saved. :p

Naina
04-14-2009, 06:27 PM
You are lucky you saw almost all frenchies. Wrong place to ask but did u watch marat-lleyton?

Puschkin
04-14-2009, 06:32 PM
You are lucky you saw almost all frenchies. Wrong place to ask but did u watch marat-lleyton?
unfortunately not, you need extra tickets for the Court des Princes....and today the more interesting matches werer there, tomorrow too. :devil: BTW: I never saw PHM.

rtgy
04-14-2009, 06:36 PM

Les/still red hot :lol:/ http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/tridion/images/flyinglady101x101_tcm13-27525.jpg
:worship::worship::worship:

Brownie
04-14-2009, 06:42 PM

Oh good! That's nice you got to see him, even though he isn't playing :)

Naina
04-14-2009, 08:14 PM
unfortunately not, you need extra tickets for the Court des Princes....and today the more interesting matches werer there, tomorrow too. :devil: BTW: I never saw PHM.

too bad. He looked HAWTTTT on t.v :hearts:. Maybe you will see around tomorrow ;)

Truc
04-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Tulasne's take on the match:
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2009/20090414_181034_simon-un-match-pourri.html
Even playing average tennis he would have won. He hasn't quite got his bearings yet on clay, but it's the same for everybody, he was tense before entering the court. The beginning of the match was decent and then he got himself into a negative spiral. At the end of the match, Gilles was telling him that he didn't know how to play tennis anymore. A sore throat problem has also disrupted his preparation. They now have 2 weeks of intensive training ahead.

rtgy
04-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Tulasne's take on the match:
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2009/20090414_181034_simon-un-match-pourri.html
Even playing average tennis he would have won. He hasn't quite got his bearings yet on clay, but it's the same for everybody, he was tense before entering the court. The beginning of the match was decent and then he got himself into a negative spiral. At the end of the match, Gilles was telling him that he didn't know how to play tennis anymore. A sore throat problem has also disrupted his preparation. They now have 2 weeks of intensive training ahead.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

anaquot
04-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Stinky work, I missed everything today! Isa, he is smart, he said himself he needs to up his fitness for the clay season. I'm sure you are right, too, that a little more weight would be good, if anything just to give him something to draw from when he is fighting a cold and trying to play tennis. Ugh, I was looking forward to a week of Gilles and a third accident :ras: Well, maybe he saves it for RG :shrug:

gambit84
04-15-2009, 07:32 AM
I have been in Vienna with my parents in these days and I did not see the match but when I saw the score yesterday I barely could believe it

probably he was not ready at all to effort the top10 and the top of the ranking in France, I already lived this kind of situation (but not that strong the impact) with PHM when the was playing so well two years ago and people started to believe on his possibility....

Allez Gilluz, erase and start from your point, step by step

anaquot
04-16-2009, 09:42 PM
:topic: or maybe not? I don't know...Just wanted to say yay for Alli :clap: I saw Stan won his match :)

Hey Raf, hope you had a nice time with your parents :)

anaquot
04-18-2009, 02:33 AM
:lol: death bagel :lol: but I thought breakfast was a dozen or so croissants? McDonald's in France should make a limited edition Gillou McFlurry, with only green MnMs :)

You should skip the death bagel and scramble some eggs with garlic and cream cheese and put that on a bagel, you can call it the everlasting life bagel :lol:

So, are you going to come play IQT with us :hug:

anaquot
04-18-2009, 03:15 AM
:hug: of course :)
I was a vegetarian for a long time, and a vegan, but the everlasting life bagel came from a friend who is neither.

port37
04-20-2009, 07:46 AM
Let's pretent Gilles didn't play Monte Carlo...

The everlasting life bagel sounds soooo gooood

Truc
04-21-2009, 06:48 AM
Some news in L'Equipe today:
SIMON AU CHARBON. – Très décevant à Monte-Carlo et très déçu de son élimination d’entrée contre l’Allemand Andreas Beck, Gilles Simon a mis les bouchées doubles pour retrouver son jeu sur terre battue. Samedi et dimanche, il a travaillé très dur à Roland-Garros avec son coach Thierry Tulasne. Hier, après une heure et demie d’entraînement avec Tsonga, il est allé cavaler deux bonnes heures dans le bois de Boulogne avec Paul Quétin, préparateur physique à la FFT. « J’avais besoin de savoir vraiment où j’en étais, expliquait le numéro 1 français. Je mets par exemple beaucoup de temps à bien glisser sur terre. Là, depuis deux jours, je déclenche mes glissades comme il faut et, du coup, je frappe mieux. J’espère que ces sensations se vérifieront à Rome. » Very disappointing in Monte-Carlo and very disappointed, he's worked very hard with Tulasne in Roland-Garros on Saturday and Sunday. Yesterday he practiced one hour and a half with Jo and then he went jogging two hours in the Bois de Boulogne. He explains again it takes him a lot of time to get used to slide on clay. He's been doing it much better for 2 days and his shots are better then. He hopes it will show in Rome.

MsTree
04-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Aw Gillou :hug:
Once you've got the knack of sliding on clay again, you fancy teaching Murray? :devil:

isabelle86
04-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Some news in L'Equipe today:
Very disappointing in Monte-Carlo and very disappointed, he's worked very hard with Tulasne in Roland-Garros on Saturday and Sunday. Yesterday he practiced one hour and a half with Jo and then he went jogging two hours in the Bois de Boulogne. He explains again it takes him a lot of time to get used to slide on clay. He's been doing it much better for 2 days and his shots are better then. He hopes it will show in Rome.

merci beaucoup for the updade! :)
Jo was today in Barcelona tournament interacting with fans!
the transition from hardcourts to claycourts is not easy.
Bois de Boulogne, I guess our favorite player is stopped there by fans every 10 minutes by french supporters, it's a big park but Gilles is a big star. Can not imagine a top spanish player doing jogging in a famous and well known park.
We need Gilles to go far at the event in Rome, if not I will have some words en français with him and Tulasne in Madrid before the rendez-vous at Porte d'Auteil.

lamnathalie
04-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Rome's draw:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2009/416/mds.pdf

[1] NADAL, Rafael ESP vs BYE
SEPPI, Andreas ITA vs QUERREY, Sam USA
SODERLING, Robin SWE vs GRANOLLERS, Marcel ESP
QUALIFIER vs [14] BLAKE, James USA

[9] TSONGA, Jo-Wilfried FRA vs GASQUET, Richard FRA
ALMAGRO, Nicolas ESP vs GULBIS, Ernests LAT
FISH, Mardy USA vs ANDREEV, Igor RUS
BYE vs [6] VERDASCO, Fernando ESP

[4] MURRAY, Andy GBR vs BYE
KIEFER, Nicolas GER vs i]QUALIFIER[/i]
CHELA, Juan Ignacio ARG vs ROCHUS, Christophe BEL
[WC] CIPOLLA, Flavio ITA vs [15] CILIC, Marin CR

[12] GONZALEZ, Fernando CHI vs CHARDY, Jeremy FRA
TIPSAREVIC, Janko SRB vs ACASUSO, Jose ARG
BENNETEAU, Julien FRA vs MELZER, Jurgen AUT
BYE vs [7] DAVYDENKO, Nikolay RUS

[5] DEL POTRO, Juan Martin ARG vs BYE
HANESCU, Victor ROU vs TROICKI, Viktor SRB
QUALIFIER vs QUALIFIER
KUNITSYN, Igor RUS vs [10] WAWRINKA, Stanislas SUI

[13] ROBREDO, Tommy ESP vs SAFIN, Marat RUS
KOHLSCHREIBER, Philipp GER vs BOLELLI, Simone ITA
[WC] STARACE, Potito ITA vs MONTANES, Albert ESP
BYE vs [3] DJOKOVIC, Novak SRB

[8] SIMON, Gilles FRA vs BYE
[WC] FOGNINI, Fabio ITA vs [WC] VOLANDRI, Filippo ITA
QUALIFIER vs BERDYCH, Tomas CZE vs
MATHIEU, Paul-Henri FRA vs [11] FERRER, David ESP

[16] STEPANEK, Radek CZE vs SERRA, Florent FRA
QUALIFIER vs LOPEZ, Feliciano ESP
QUALIFIER vs KARLOVIC, Ivo CRO
BYE vs [2] FEDERER, Roger SUI

I guess it's not a tough one for Gilles. :D

MsTree
04-25-2009, 11:51 AM
:eek: Easy QF but hard early rounds :devil:
Good luck Gillou! :)

lamnathalie
04-25-2009, 11:56 AM
:eek: Easy QF but hard early rounds :devil:
:p:devil:

turtle-rn
04-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Ouch. Some good claycourt specialists in his section, by no mean an easy draw considering his form in MC. His QF match should indeed be easier if he manages to go that far. :devil:

Guille.
04-26-2009, 07:02 AM
I like the draw, let's hope Gillou can do great here:D

Truc
04-26-2009, 07:13 AM
7th(?) attempt to win a match:
KNOWLE, Julian (AUT)/MELZER, Jurgen (AUT) vs CHARDY, Jeremy (FRA)/SIMON, Gilles (FRA)

MsTree
04-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Allez Gilles and Jim!!!! :D

Guy Haines
04-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Allez Gilles and Jim!!!! :D

:lol: Nice wordplay. :D

Truc
04-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Are you hinting at "Jules and Jim" or is there another pun/reference I don't get?

They play tomorrow, 3rd match on Court 4.

Puschkin
04-26-2009, 08:42 PM
7th(?) attempt to win a match:
KNOWLE, Julian (AUT)/MELZER, Jurgen (AUT) vs CHARDY, Jeremy (FRA)/SIMON, Gilles (FRA)

Renaud
04-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Ouch. Some good claycourt specialists in his section, by no mean an easy draw considering his form in MC. His QF match should indeed be easier if he manages to go that far. :devil:

Well... Stepanek is very dangerous on clay, and he beat Gilles last year in RG :shrug:

isabelle86
04-27-2009, 08:25 AM
from the official tournament website:
as it happened, yesterday, "Gilles Simon meanwhile looked like he’d got the cares of the world on his shoulders – but then he always does. With his tousled mop of hair and fresh face to go with his serious expression, he always looks like a little boy struggling with some difficult homework… He signed a raft of autographs though, as did Juan Martin del Potro, who is (a) unfeasibly tall and (b) at lot more relaxed than “Gillou”."

Italians still remember the match vs Bolelli of last season. Seems Gilles is not only going to face an Italian claycourter in the 1st round, also he is going to play against all the Italian fans of the Pietrangeli in a similar davis cup atmosphere.

Allez Gilles!

MsTree
04-27-2009, 10:44 AM
:lol: Nice wordplay. :D

:confused: Thank you :confused:

from the official tournament website:
as it happened, yesterday, "Gilles Simon meanwhile looked like he’d got the cares of the world on his shoulders – but then he always does. With his tousled mop of hair and fresh face to go with his serious expression, he always looks like a little boy struggling with some difficult homework… He signed a raft of autographs though, as did Juan Martin del Potro, who is (a) unfeasibly tall and (b) at lot more relaxed than “Gillou”."

Awwwwww :D That look's pretty cute and Gillou does it so well... :devil:

but-it's-ok
04-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Allez Gillou:bounce:,you can make good use of this draw;)

rtgy
04-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Rome's draw:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2009/416/mds.pdf

thanx :hug:
;)

[8] SIMON, Gilles FRA vs BYE
[WC] FOGNINI, Fabio ITA vs [WC] VOLANDRI, Filippo ITA
QUALIFIER vs BERDYCH, Tomas CZE vs
MATHIEU, Paul-Henri FRA vs [11] FERRER, David ESP
I guess it's not a tough one for Gilles. :D

ALLEZ GILLOU !!! :rocker:

:bounce:

lamnathalie
04-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Gilles just lost his 1st round doubles...

turtle-rn
04-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Well... Stepanek is very dangerous on clay, and he beat Gilles last year in RG :shrug:
Then, let's hope Federer is still enough haunted by his last year's run there to take Sexy out of the picture :p That said, regarding Gilles' last year match in RG, I only watched the third set and from my recollection, even Federer would have beaten him on that day. :devil:

Everything goes according to plan, he can now focus on the singles! :p

Puschkin
04-27-2009, 05:21 PM
What a relief. He even loses, when I am not there. ;)

rtgy
04-27-2009, 05:37 PM

rtgy
04-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Then, let's hope Federer is still enough haunted by his last year's run there to take Sexy out of the picture :p That said, regarding Gilles' last year match in RG, I only watched the third set and from my recollection, even Federer would have beaten him on that day. :devil:

:rolls: :devil:

Everything goes according to plan, he can now focus on the singles! :p

well said................:lol:

gambit84
04-27-2009, 07:01 PM
http://www.internazionalibnlditalia.it/1/ProgrammaRisultati.asp?LNG=IT&Date=20090428 kinda depressed. no gilles simon tomorrow on court :(

port37
04-28-2009, 04:14 AM

They still haven't won a match together! We'll have to have a big celebration if they ever win a match :D

It'll be tough to play an Italian in front of their home crowd but as long as he's switched on he should do well. Allez Gilles!

Puschkin
04-28-2009, 05:36 AM
It'll be tough to play an Italian in front of their home crowd but as long as he's switched on he should do well. Allez Gilles!
Good practise for further Davis Cup adventures. ;) But I agree, this can become quite tough. I am more worried about Fognini than about Volandri, though.

soulage
04-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Someone in Estoril thread writes that Gilles asked for a WC. I missed something surely :angel: Did Gilles give reason about that ?

turtle-rn
04-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Maybe he's already anticipating an early loss in Rome.. :tape:

MsTree
04-28-2009, 06:51 PM
:devil::devil::devil: He must've been thinking about you then :devil::devil::devil:

Someone in Estoril thread writes that Gilles asked for a WC. I missed something surely :angel: Did Gilles give reason about that ?
Wow :eek: really?

Puschkin
04-28-2009, 07:02 PM
:devil::devil::devil: He must've been thinking about you then :devil::devil::devil:
You overestimate me. ;)

Truc
04-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Not so surprising, he keeps saying in interviews it takes him ages to get used to clay, why play just a couple of events during the clay season which is supposed to be the highlight of his season?

I hope Estoril will rather give the WC to local guys, though, and he'll have to play Munich. :p His favourite doubles partner will be there too, they could give it another try. :lol: They're excused for yesterday because the conditions were horrible, but they really need to win a match one day, it's getting silly.

Truc
04-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Jo pretty much says in L'Equipe today he's playing Düsseldorf to avoid all the buzz in Paris before Roland-Garros and the pressure, btw, so I suppose that's the idea for Gilles too.

Puschkin
04-28-2009, 08:21 PM
but they really need to win a match one day, it's getting silly.
In Roland Garros, then.

MsTree
04-28-2009, 10:08 PM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2009/416/op.pdf
OOP says Gillou is third on Campo 1. But what will the weather say?
I wanted rain all afternoon so Andy's match wouldn't start until I got home from work ~ I got home from work and the first thing I heard was it was cancelled :lol: Serves me right!
Any chance someone can record the stream? ;)

Puschkin
04-28-2009, 11:05 PM
But it looks good for Gilles, the Italian battle is still undecided after 2 h 38 min.

MsTree
04-28-2009, 11:13 PM
Yes I was thinking that too...It's after 1am there :D
That Fognini looks dangerous :eek: hopefully he'll be knackered :lol:

port37
04-29-2009, 02:59 AM
Yes I was thinking that too...It's after 1am there :D
That Fognini looks dangerous :eek: hopefully he'll be knackered :lol:

Let's hope so! He certainly gave Muzza a scare in Monte Carlo, hoprefully Gilles will play well.

but-it's-ok
04-29-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm just praying the:rain:will not hit the schedule badly today. Allez Gillou:rocker2:

Truc
04-29-2009, 03:40 PM
It won't be so easy to get a WC for next week, Jo also is considering asking for one because he needs to play more matches on clay, the Belgrade WC have been already announced and German media say that the Haas wild-card in Munich is reserved for Hewitt if Haasi enters the main draw.

He has to go far in Rome, no other choice!

but-it's-ok
04-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Hi guys:wavey::hug: You ready for Gillou?

Gilles is about to start the match,serving first. Allez:rocker2:

but-it's-ok
04-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Gillou wins 1st game to love,two excellent 1st serves included in the game,unreturned by Fognini.

but-it's-ok
04-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Answered by a love service game by Fognini,he's pretty aggressive so far.

but-it's-ok
04-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Two misfired forehands from Gillou,sets up a breakpoint,and another error hands the break to FF:(

Fognini looks so fresh,after his sooo late finish:eek: 3-1 up,no trouble at all.

Gilles is hitting a lot of groundies into the net,and there's a worrying lack of power in his shots once more.

Gilles holds serve,surviving a break point,two missed returns by FF to remain in touch at 2-3 down.

but-it's-ok
04-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Alli:wavey: Nice of you to pop in during your lunch break;) I think the Italian crowd are pretty fair so far.

Gilles has 3 break point chances after a very poor game by Fognini so far. Gillou looked uncertain chasing down the drop shot,saved 2 break points now. Allez Gillou. Gillou nets again:( Deuce. Fognini misses a sitter of a volley to hand Gillou another break point, now Gillou finally breaks 3-3

gambit84
04-29-2009, 04:37 PM
c'mon Poussin :cool:

but-it's-ok
04-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Hi Raf:wavey:

Gillou holds more comfortably for 4-3,Fognini sprayed the ball a bit wildly in that game,pressure getting to him a little.

but-it's-ok
04-29-2009, 04:44 PM
This is so inconsistent from both of them,they cant seem to put two good points together just now. Fognini has game point,Gilles scrambles the ball back,FF nets,deuce. Allez Gillou:bounce:

So many errors from them. Gillou misses another forehand,he's not in rhythm at all. 4-4

but-it's-ok
04-29-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm back now,had to eat;) Gillou is gonna have to impose himself more here,quieten the crowd down a little at this crucial stage.

Gillou gets a very lucky netcord:kiss: 3-2 Then gets a mini-break as Fognini misses,and another shot into the net 5-2. 6-2 a winner from Gillou. Gillou misses a cross court backhand,Gillou has 3 set points remaining. Fognini scores with a winner 6-4, missed return only one set point left for Gillou:scared: Forehand in to out cross court winner after the longest really of the match.

All the set points gone 6-6.