how about nadal in Spain [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

how about nadal in Spain

sainteagle
03-31-2009, 10:45 AM
I just want to know if the fame of Nadal is the best one in all sporters in Spain . or Alonso on F1 and Paul Gasol on NBA are better.

Har-Tru
03-31-2009, 11:04 AM
First of all, it's Pau, not Paul. ;)

I'd say he's probably more famous now than both Alonso and Gasol. Definitely more than Alonso (who's been famous, but never that popular to be honest). Come NBA Playoff time, if the Lakers make it to the final again, Gasol might have the edge there. These things come and go.

However, bear in mind the absolute king of sports in Spain is football. Even more so now that the Spanish national team has finally won something.

justsumma
03-31-2009, 11:13 AM
I used to go to Madrid very often up until a year ago and had a hard time explaining who Piggy is to local colleagues. May be it has changed now that he has transformed from dirt piggy to super piggy...

ignatius
03-31-2009, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I agree football is king but there's nothing as big as Nadal now. He's all over the place, He's the image of at least 3 different companies with running advertising campaigns now; Pantene, Mapfre, Banesto...there's every day segments in the news about him, articles in the newspapers...Nadal now is big, bigger than Gasol, Alonso or even Football.

Even if the lakers make it to the finals again, that won't be as big as Nadal. Last year when LA reached the finals, there was a fuzz on Digital + and the news but I don't thing it was as big as the fuzz around Nadal now. TV here also shows how big Nadal is wherever he goes and how many people are around him all the time... I don't think Pau's got all the NBA fans trying to get his autograph (yet).

ToniTennis
03-31-2009, 11:54 AM
^^^^Commercials or not, football is the King sport here and will be for a long time yet. Not that I dislike it, but what can you expect when the TVs open their sport sections almost inevitably talking about the latest, most menial football news regarding Real Madrid or Barça? and after 5-10 minutes, then they may offer 1-2 minutes, top, to other sportman/woman who has actually won something that day. Literally, Rafa has to win a Slam to get the same credit as, say, the Real Madrid Elections.

That's how it is.

And I dare say it would be about the same with another tennis #1 in another medium to big country where there are other popular sports as well.

Har-Tru
03-31-2009, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I agree football is king but there's nothing as big as Nadal now. He's all over the place, He's the image of at least 3 different companies with running advertising campaigns now; Pantene, Mapfre, Banesto...there's every day segments in the news about him, articles in the newspapers...Nadal now is big, bigger than Gasol, Alonso or even Football.

Even if the lakers make it to the finals again, that won't be as big as Nadal. Last year when LA reached the finals, there was a fuzz on Digital + and the news but I don't thing it was as big as the fuzz around Nadal now. TV here also shows how big Nadal is wherever he goes and how many people are around him all the time... I don't think Pau's got all the NBA fans trying to get his autograph (yet).

But the question isn't who's more popular in the world, but in Spain, right?

When Nadal is winning and in great form like now, he's all over the place, but it takes a couple of months with no meaningful successes for TV news to suddenly forget about him. Gasol is on the news every day he plays though too, and there's lots of people who play basketball and follow him. In the end it's really a question of whether tennis or basketball are the second sport.

Anyway, I believe this is the right place for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4gK_hfJS6E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DegdxZ8q9vg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOeM-JMP9t8

:D

Nacho
03-31-2009, 12:10 PM
is nadal more popular than Fernando Torres, Casillas and company? tough to answer

sainteagle
03-31-2009, 12:23 PM
First of all, it's Pau, not Paul. ;)

I'd say he's probably more famous now than both Alonso and Gasol. Definitely more than Alonso (who's been famous, but never that popular to be honest). Come NBA Playoff time, if the Lakers make it to the final again, Gasol might have the edge there. These things come and go.

However, bear in mind the absolute king of sports in Spain is football. Even more so now that the Spanish national team has finally won something.thank you. cos i am in china and i also love tennis, i don't know how about tennis in Spain. As i know football is famous than any other sports in Spain, and there are so many football stars in Spain. This is the reason why i want to ask such question. Tennis is very popular in China now. There are a lot of fans from tennis. So Nadal,Fed,Novak,Murry are all famous in China.

Deivid23
03-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Football is the #1 sport in Spain as in most of countries in the world, by a country mile, and that won´t change.

But in terms of popularity concerning sportsmen, Nadal is second to none in Spain

Seville
04-24-2009, 03:03 PM
I think Nadal is not only as popular as the most famous footballers, but he is also well-liked. He is probably the most well-liked sportman in Spain. Most people consider him a really nice guy and he has won people's affection because of that. Formula 1 pilot Fernando Alonso is quite the opposite. He is famous, most sports fans are happy when he is successful, but he is a rather badly-liked man. A lot of people think he is conceited and unpleasant.