Jon Stewart Shrine [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Jon Stewart Shrine

Stensland
03-13-2009, 11:06 PM
he deserves one more than anyone. he's one of the funniest men i've ever seen, he's intelligent, down-to-earth, calm and collected, just brilliant.

has anyone seen the cramer bit? i wish we had a guy like that on tv. stewart and colbert are the greatest entertainers on tv worldwide. and it's not just silly entertainment they're offering, it's much more than that.

you can watch the cramer interview here:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/videos.jhtml

:worship: :worship:

buddyholly
03-14-2009, 01:23 AM
I don't think he is funny at all. I hate the kind of kneejerk humour where a comedian just mentions something from the news and everyone has to laugh to let everyone else know that they know what he is talking about.

Full marks for his Cramer bit though, which was not supposed to be funny. I hate Cramer. Mad Money gives me chest pains.

Stensland
03-14-2009, 01:48 AM
I don't think he is funny at all.

have you watched any of his interviews, be it him interviewing guests or being interviewed on letterman? he's extremely quick-witted, just like colbert. you may not like the antics on the show he's anchoring, but it's pretty impossible to dismiss his humour.

GlennMirnyi
03-14-2009, 02:49 AM
Gotta agree that he's not THAT funny. He's a bit funny but some of the jokes are really forced.

TennisViewer531
03-14-2009, 03:36 AM
I find Jon Stewart very witty. Sometimes he's funny, sometimes he's not. I guess it has something to do with the material.. :)

buddyholly
03-14-2009, 04:28 AM
be it him interviewing guests or being interviewed on letterman?

Who would watch Letterman? He might even be worse than Stewart. Unless stupid pet tricks is your idea of humour. But even that might be better than watching one celebrity interview another.

I just read a news item that put in words what I wanted to say.
Stewart takes news clips of politicians making small speech or physical errors, puts them on the screen, makes a funny face at the camera and his audience, like Pavlov's dogs, screams hysterically. That is not humour, just manipulation of a public that wants to feel in the know.

Sparko1030
03-16-2009, 05:45 AM
Love Jon!!! :worship: Jon is funny (all the time? no, but more than most, yes-at least for my sense of humor :angel: ) More importantly he fills a void left by so-called-journalists who do not have the backbone to ask the tough questions and call politician on their bs. His recent attack on CNBC and that Cramer guy is an excellent example. He will skewer both right and left-its just that the right has given so much more material these last 8 years. ;)

Am I like Pavlov's dog? I'd like to think not but we all see the world differently :shrug: :lol: Here's the actual interview with Jim Cramer-no clips to cue us dogs in this one at least ;)

NYWwBG7RDfE

Stensland
03-16-2009, 07:39 AM
Stewart takes news clips of politicians making small speech or physical errors, puts them on the screen, makes a funny face at the camera and his audience, like Pavlov's dogs, screams hysterically. That is not humour, just manipulation of a public that wants to feel in the know.

that's his show you're talking about, not jon stewart. if you'd ever watched him talk to his guests or being interviewed anywhere else (i remember watching him on c-span for a full hour back in early 08) you'd know. plus he has enough bits on his show where all that stuff you dislike doesn't play a role at all. do you really believe simply making funny faces gets you tons of highly-regarded awards?

it sounds to me though that you just don't like him anyways, so why bother.

scoobs
03-16-2009, 01:05 PM
I love Jon...

Stensland
03-16-2009, 01:53 PM
in that way? ;)

buddyholly
03-16-2009, 03:13 PM
do you really believe simply making funny faces gets you tons of highly-regarded awards?

NO, that is why he doesn't have tons of highly regarded awards. Did you just write that because it sounded good or do you actually know what these tons of highly regarded awards are?

A few EMMYs are just the result of a small group of people stroking themselves in public. And the only reason he got those is because reality television has killed comedy and there was no-one else to give them to.

nkhera1
03-16-2009, 06:13 PM

Joe Scarborough is just a bitter man. Notice how he did not mention anything about this report on Friday because he was afraid of getting ripped to shreds as well.

prima donna
03-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Joe Scarborough is just a bitter man. Notice how he did not mention anything about this report on Friday because he was afraid of getting ripped to shreds as well.
By whom ? A comedian ?

buddyholly
03-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Never heard of him.

BTW, I loved Stewart's treatment of Cramer. It is everything else he does that is boring.

EDIT: OK, Googled him. A Republican on MSNBC!!!!!! (which my cable company doesn't carry). He must be their whipping boy, like Alan Colmes on FOX, before FOX decided that even a whipping boy was not necessary on a fair and balanced programme.

buddyholly
03-16-2009, 08:25 PM
it sounds to me though that you just don't like him anyways, so why bother.

Well, I stated that firmly in post #2 of this thread, so I am glad you got it.

But it seems that you have decided that anyone who does not support your opinion is not worth bothering with. Wish I felt so sure of myself.

Vida
03-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Gotta agree that he's not THAT funny. He's a bit funny but some of the jokes are really forced.

:yeah:

esp the bold part.

nkhera1
03-17-2009, 03:23 AM
By whom ? A comedian ?

You may not agree with his views or find him funny but you cannot deny that him going after CNBC had quite an impact.

Stensland
03-17-2009, 03:25 AM
NO, that is why he doesn't have tons of highly regarded awards. Did you just write that because it sounded good or do you actually know what these tons of highly regarded awards are?

can a comedian win more than emmys, grammys and peabody awards? to me, that sounds pretty impressive. maybe you'll change your mind once he gets a pulitzer (he was in the mix for one many times).

are there any more awards for this special category out there anyways (comedians & comedy shows)? higher regarded ones?

Well, I stated that firmly in post #2 of this thread, so I am glad you got it.

so why post here? this is meant to be a shrine, not a bash thread. talking about pavlov's dogs: i fully expected you to trash him. ;)

buddyholly
03-17-2009, 05:25 AM
It is a forum. That means a place for discussion. You can't set the agenda.

If you are into shrine worship you should go to the John Stewart fanboy page, or something like that.

Stensland
03-17-2009, 07:52 AM
It is a forum. That means a place for discussion. You can't set the agenda.

i didn't "forbid" you to post your opinion. feel free to say what you like (or even open a stewart bash thread). i just didn't get why you opened the thread in the first place if you don't like him and the thread title includes the word "shrine".

any comment on the awards issue btw?

who do you think is funny on american tv? maher, leno, silverman, that scottish late show guy?

If you are into shrine worship you should go to the John Stewart fanboy page, or something like that.

i can't be bothered to register on other forums so i need to put all i want to talk about with english-speaking people on non-mtf. :cool:

buddyholly
03-17-2009, 01:24 PM
i can't be bothered to register on other forums so i need to put all i want to talk about with english-speaking people on non-mtf. :cool:

That was a joke. But of course I would open a ''Jon Stewart Shrine'' thread, just to see why anyone would want to worship him.

I don't watch any of those late night talk shows, they are all embarrassingly stupid and just ways for show biz d-listers to publicise themselves, while the Pavlovian dogs dutifully scream and applaud every time the "APPLAUSE" sign is held up.

The only humour I could squeeze out of US TV these days is in reruns of Seinfeld, Cheers and Frasier.

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY

Stensland
03-17-2009, 04:52 PM
i tried seinfeld for a while but it just didn't grow on me. it must be the kind of new yorker jewish humour that seems a bit strange to me. seinfeld's ratings were abysmal in europe in general. i find many american entertainers pretty funny though. letterman, leno, maher (brilliant!) and so on. i don't like o'brien though, don't know why.

the white house fountain's even green today, happy st. patrick's day to all you irish guys out there. :) do other immigrant groups have a day liek that as well?

SwiSha
03-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Colbert is funnier than Stewart

jazzdrive3
03-17-2009, 09:21 PM
He was one of the first to discover the collective joke politics is. That all you to do is play back what these crooks actually say, verbatim, and nothing more, and it's stupid and hilarious. Too bad he's going a bit soft on Obama now, just little jabs here and there, although I like his comparisons to the Bush administration.

buddyholly
03-18-2009, 02:20 PM
the white house fountain's even green today, happy st. patrick's day to all you irish guys out there. :) do other immigrant groups have a day liek that as well?

Thank you.

Italian-Americans do their thing on St. Valentine's Day.

buddyholly
03-18-2009, 02:23 PM
He was one of the first to discover the collective joke politics is.

That would be like saying Michael Jackson discovered dancing.

Sparko1030
03-18-2009, 02:53 PM

The Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo (Kid will kill me if I've spelled it wrong but she never ventures in this area :lol: ) has really gained in popularity these last few years-I suspect that may be because its gives us an excuse to eat Mexican food and drink Marguritas though :lol: I think Octoberfest is celebrated fairly widely too-again drinking is involved. :drink:

Locally a lot of communities celebrate the immigrant group that founded the town or settled the area but of course those don't go national.

Stensland
03-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Thank you.

you're irish? hm, i thought you were a scot. i'm getting confused with all the anglo-saxons on mtf. are you american (irish-american) btw?

i've heard of cinco de mayo actually. we've had mexican exchange students over here back in the days, they had some sort of celebration as well, i think.

buddyholly
03-19-2009, 12:54 AM
you're irish?

Yes.

Bibberz
03-27-2009, 08:05 AM
I just read a news item that put in words what I wanted to say.Stewart takes news clips of politicians making small speech or physical errors, puts them on the screen, makes a funny face at the camera and his audience, like Pavlov's dogs, screams hysterically. That is not humour, just manipulation of a public that wants to feel in the know.

He doesn't merely make funny faces. He can also mimic an innumerable amount of celebrities and public figures, although they all tend to sound like stereotypical Italian-American mobsters from New Jersey.

I still find Jon Stewart funny, but some of the jokes are admittedly very cheap and easy. Those comparisons to Edward R. Murrow that followed the Cramer interview made me cringe. Murrow was a legend who took substantial risks. Although Stewart is undeniably influential, every action he takes is inherently risk-free because of his status as a comedian. Apples and oranges.

I don't watch any of those late night talk shows, they are all embarrassingly stupid and just ways for show biz d-listers to publicise themselves, while the Pavlovian dogs dutifully scream and applaud every time the "APPLAUSE" sign is held up.

The only humour I could squeeze out of US TV these days is in reruns of Seinfeld, Cheers and Frasier.

Speaking of Pavlovian dogs, all of those shows have incredibly grating laugh tracks. I appreciated Seinfeld when it aired, but these days I'll gladly take Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and The Office instead.

i find many american entertainers pretty funny though. letterman, leno, maher (brilliant!) and so on. i don't like o'brien though, don't know why.

I don't find Maher remotely funny on Real Time. He tells several jokes each show that fall so flat that no one in the audience laughs. He always reacts in the same indignant way and says something like, "Fuck you, don't be so uptight." He does occasionally draw great guests, though.