Worst calls ever!!!!!!!!!!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Worst calls ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Allure
08-08-2004, 03:06 AM
What is up with that chair person?! Cleary Andre's shot was wide (even the replay showed so) yet the point was not reversed. That's two times in the game that Andre made a mistake (one out and one wide) and no one called him on it. Is the chairperson blind or something? No one wonder Andy was mad. The audience should have booed him instead of Andy.

And Agassi knew it was out and just stood there acting all innocent. He could have told the chairperson it was out and give the point to Andy. Is anyone else mad?

andyroxmysox12191
08-08-2004, 03:19 AM
oh yes they were the worst calls ever. he got jipped really but it happened. though that point did a lot to andy like mentally. mad andy came out....i actually like him :devil:
but yeah i was upset at the calls. i'm not mad at andre cause im not sure if he knew about whether it was in or not *shrug* but the serve one was something that andre agreed with and he told andy to serve two but andy said no thanks. and did the crowd boo andy or the lineswoman? i got confused at that as well :confused:

Juanquis.Angel
08-08-2004, 03:24 AM
The crowd was booing Andy, they were very much for Andre tonight. I believe they started after Andy kicked the sign, but I can't be too sure.

It's not the first match I saw this week in Cincy where the linespeople were making some very bad calls. Granted, it's hard to see the balls so I'll give them some leeway there, but these weren't good at all. I was told that the same thing happened to Safin in his match against Hewitt, so I think the tournament officials need to work a little bit better with instructing the linespeople.

Andy did let it get to him too much, though; he probably could've pulled it off had he not been so upset over those few calls. Hopefully, he'll learn to work through that later on so if it ever happens in another match, he'll be ready.

star
08-08-2004, 03:25 AM
I'd be mad if they cost him the match, but I really don't think they did. The last one was more crucial, but still, it wasn't on break point.

Legends get the calls. That's just the facts.

Andy lost for other reasons..... not the calls.

superpinkone37
08-08-2004, 03:35 AM
ugghh i have to agree that that lineman needed some glasses or something lmao, but really they werent too too crucial and if anything fired andy up more, which can be good sometimes

Dirk
08-08-2004, 03:38 AM
Reminds me of the first meeting with Andy and Guga. Guga got 4 bad calls and Andy got one and threw a fit. Guga shut him up really fast when he said "Andy I got 4 of them".

Juanquis.Angel
08-08-2004, 03:40 AM
I'd be mad if they cost him the match, but I really don't think they did. The last one was more crucial, but still, it wasn't on break point.

Legends get the calls. That's just the facts.

Andy lost for other reasons..... not the calls.

Amen!

tangerine_dream
08-08-2004, 03:40 AM
I'm not terribly upset by the bad line calls; it happens in almost every match. Andy needs to learn to shrug them off and not let them affect him too much (I think he ended up winning a point after a bad call, anyways). He didn't lose the match because of the calls. He lost because Andre was playing out of his mind and beat him. :lol:

Britney's#1
08-08-2004, 03:44 AM
The calls sucked :mad:, I don't know if I've ever yelled at my TV that much during a match before. :lol: I kind of liked it when Andy kicked the sign...I don't know if that's a good thing or not..but I thought it was funny. ::):

J. Corwin
08-08-2004, 03:56 AM
Some of the calls were very bad, but hey those are the breaks. Andre just plain outplayed Andy. :)

superpinkone37
08-08-2004, 04:15 AM
yeah, i agree, on some of those i wanted to scream at the line judge, but in the end andre was just playing to damn good tonight

RoddickBabe10
08-08-2004, 04:17 AM
I don't think the bad calls affected the match too much. I mean, Andy just got outplayed. Period. Although, yes, I am pretty upset about that. Andy just shouldn't have let it get to him too much; though that isn't the reason he lost.

I also liked it when Andy kicked the sign ;) but the crowd boo-ed him, that was sad, I don't really get why they boo-ed him though :scratch: Anyways, I like it when Andy yells/talks to himself in a match. He did alot of that tonight :yeah: It was very entertaining lol

superpinkone37
08-08-2004, 04:19 AM
lol i LOVE it when andy talks to himslef and does something like kick the sign, microphone, maybe the linesperson themselves next time???....thats what we love i think, all that energy and personality that shows he really cares and is passionate about the game

tangerine_dream
08-08-2004, 04:23 AM
RoddickBabe, I agree. I don't mind the oncourt antics, either. He's not hurting anybody by doing it and players need to vent their frustration--and nothing's more frustrating than getting hooked on two line calls. The crowd booing Andy for kicking the sign was just their way of saying "Not good! Get back to playing!" After another game had passed they went back to cheering for him although the crowd was definitely pro-Andre. :)

And Andy dropped the f-bomb a few times too, it was like Iraq out there. ;) Frankly, I'm amazed the GM 'tards haven't started dozens of threads screaming about Andy calling Andre "a f--ing c*cksucker" or whatever else their empty minds can invent. :lol:

RoddickBabe10
08-08-2004, 04:24 AM
:yeah: superpink! There should be an "unwritten tennis rule" saying you could kick the linesperson if you agree with a bad call :lol:

And I agree, I think the majority of Andy's fans like him because of all that energy and personality that comes out and shows some heart.

RoddickBabe10
08-08-2004, 04:28 AM
RoddickBabe, I agree. I don't mind the oncourt antics, either. He's not hurting anybody by doing it and players need to vent their frustration--and nothing's more frustrating than getting hooked on two line calls. The crowd booing Andy for kicking the sign was just their way of saying "Not good! Get back to playing!" After another game had passed they went back to cheering for him although the crowd was definitely pro-Andre. :)

And Andy dropped the f-bomb a few times too, it was like Iraq out there. ;) Frankly, I'm amazed the GM 'tards haven't started dozens of threads screaming about Andy calling Andre "a f--ing c*cksucker" or whatever else their empty minds can invent. :lol:

LOL Tangerine, the crowd was DEFINITELY pro-Andre :lol:

:rolleyes: the people in GM. If they do start a thread about him cussing, I'd just freak out. Because Lleyton cusses ALL the time. And I actually like it when the players yell at themselves and such. I love great emotion on court.

superpinkone37
08-08-2004, 04:35 AM
yeah and of course there was some really great tennis going on out there, but the emotion as well as respect going on out there was what made it a really memorable match. u have to admit that andre was simply wonderful, especially in returning and even aces surprisingly enough, but the level of respect, as well as the eccentric crowd and high running emotions really made the match what it is-- definatly a keeper.

RoddickBabe10
08-08-2004, 04:40 AM
yep sperpink :yeah: couldn't have said it any better :worship:

Nishy
08-08-2004, 05:47 AM
You guys say everything that I thought.
So couldn't agree with you more!

I also like when Andy is mad. :devil: But that would be good he can change his anger to good way. I heard McEnroe could do that.

Andre is just :worship:. He just played too good.
Some of Andy's shot make (stroke) was very nice and I thought beautiful. He definitely is improving. But I think he still needs to improve especially consistency stroke when he play top level player like Agassi, Federer, Hewitt, Safin, Coria, Nal, etc...

I just think everything is not always going to his way this year compare to last summer in spite of his hard work. But his career is still early compare with players that I mentioned above not include Coria, Nal. So I believe it is just progress before all his effort get together and are paid off next year. Hope his breakthrough come soon.

superpinkone37
08-08-2004, 05:53 AM
You guys say everything that I thought.
So couldn't agree with you more!

I also like when Andy is mad. :devil: But that would be good he can change his anger to good way. I heard McEnroe could do that.

Andre is just :worship:. He just played too good.
Some of Andy's shot make (stroke) was very nice and I thought beautiful. He definitely is improving. But I think he still needs to improve especially consistency stroke when he play top level player like Agassi, Federer, Hewitt, Safin, Coria, Nal, etc...

I just think everything is not always going to his way this year compare to last summer in spite of his hard work. But his career is still early compare with players that I mentioned above not include Coria, Nal. So I believe it is just progress before all his effort get together and are paid off next year. Hope his breakthrough come soon.

some times he can channel his mood in a good way...and u can always tell, that is if u are watching him. come on, dont piss andy off, cuz if he's about to serve, he will use his anger and he will ace the crap of you, lol.

star
08-08-2004, 05:58 AM
LOL Tangerine, the crowd was DEFINITELY pro-Andre :lol:

:rolleyes: the people in GM. If they do start a thread about him cussing, I'd just freak out. Because Lleyton cusses ALL the time. And I actually like it when the players yell at themselves and such. I love great emotion on court.

Well, the only player that is hated nearly as much as Andy on GM is Lleyton. :)

RoddickBabe10
08-08-2004, 06:02 AM
LOL star and that is just sad cuz they are two of a kind :lol: Maybe not two of a kind, but you know, they are just great and have great emotions on court, and I think, people in GM hate that :haha: That is just too pitiful!

Iheartandy&roger
08-08-2004, 08:11 AM
Fuck them I guess they want an old geezer comeback special so we can sit there and watch them all break their hip like honestly :rolleyes: ..... and booing Andy puhleeze who really should u be booing specially when u know that it was out.....oh well at least Andy doesnt need a sympathy case to get through to the next round and u know this wasnt meant to be cuz he has a BIGGER title waiting for him. So hurray for andre at least u might win 1 title.

p.s. Does anybody have any footage of this game on video that they could put on the internet cuz I would really love to see this game specially Andy and his antics! :D

elusive
08-08-2004, 09:26 AM
yeah and of course there was some really great tennis going on out there, but the emotion as well as respect going on out there was what made it a really memorable match. u have to admit that andre was simply wonderful, especially in returning and even aces surprisingly enough, but the level of respect, as well as the eccentric crowd and high running emotions really made the match what it is-- definatly a keeper.

yeah i couldnt agree more. the atmosphere was great, and i just LOVE emotionally-charged matches. [even though i salute roger for his cool demeanor on court] well, now that ive calmed down a little.. i admit both players were just spectacular. there was some high level tennis being played. andre was great on his returns and andy...29 aces! the linecalls really got to me though, and i supposed it did to andy too. :sad:

after the match he was sitting in his chair looking so FORLORN my heart just wept for him.

but what caught me most on this match was definitely the dignity they held in their game, and the apparent recognition for each others play. i loved it when they clapped for each other. i loved it when they congratulated each other at the net. when andy said well done from the bottom of his heart. this is what tennis should be about.

RonE
08-08-2004, 10:16 AM
The calls were definitely appaulling out there last night, and also in the tournament as a whole.

I cringed inside when Roddick started those antics. Not that I find anything wrong with it, but for Andy's sake, I think he just wasted too much energy cursing yelling and kicking boards. You need to spare every little drop against Andre at his best. Still amazes me the energy levels this guy posseses!

But I'm sure as he gets more experience he will learn to channel his anger in a more effective way when the going gets tough.

star
08-08-2004, 01:51 PM
I think Orlandofanz was hoping for more support for his position in this thread. :)

TinyT
08-08-2004, 05:50 PM
The calls were definitely appaulling out there last night, and also in the tournament as a whole.

I cringed inside when Roddick started those antics. Not that I find anything wrong with it, but for Andy's sake, I think he just wasted too much energy cursing yelling and kicking boards. You need to spare every little drop against Andre at his best. Still amazes me the energy levels this guy posseses!

But I'm sure as he gets more experience he will learn to channel his anger in a more effective way when the going gets tough.

i agree and disagree. while i do believe that andy needs to channel his energy into the hitting the ball, i like it when andy gets worked up. it shows how much he cares for the game, it provides great entertainment. i think as andy matures, he'll get better. think of andre in his younger years...WHOA :eek: some of the things he said off the court...and andy is so much classier than that, he acknowledges his opponents.

superpinkone37
08-08-2004, 07:14 PM
i say go ahead and get worked up, but take ur anger and produce some untouchable serves (and perhaps some returns? come on andy was what 19% on returning at one point in the match). i dont think andy's anger really hurt him in the match except for maybe a few points, like when he kept skrewing up on his back hand so the next point he only hit slices-- but still he got burned on that point and then he went back to his two-hander. and yes, it does provide more entertainment to see some quality tennis as well as emotions running wild on that court

RonE
08-08-2004, 11:04 PM
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the entertainment factor extremely. Andy with his gestures and his speeches never fails to crack me up. As long as he can then channel and focus that anger to get it out of his system and play better tennis then that's ok- that's what McEnroe always used to do and he played better after he got angry and vented off steam.

However, if it causes him to burn needless energy depriving him of focusing and concentrating and resulting in him losing important points, then he should hold it in and save his energy, maximizing it for when he really needs it.

americanbomber83
08-08-2004, 11:07 PM
Andy did have some horrible calls against him. He did let them get to him and I think that cost him the match. I think Andy will beat Andre the next time they play. GO ANDY!!!

superpinkone37
08-09-2004, 01:17 AM
i dont think it cost him the match though there were some unfair calls. andy is mature enough now, at least i think so, that he doesnt work him self up so much and let it get to him. i mean on that one where andy did through a fit about the call, he ended up winning the point. andre was just playing too good yesterday

TinyT
08-09-2004, 01:22 AM
yea, i don't think that the calls necessarily cost him a match. how many of them were ther, 3-ish??? andy's too good of a player to let that kind of stuff get to him, IMO :rolleyes:

superpinkone37
08-09-2004, 01:26 AM
yeah thats what i was trying to say and u said it how i meant lmao...hes too good and is now mature enough that even though he m,ay show anger and emotion, he knows not to give up or get too mad that it significantly has an bad effect on his play.

RoddickBabe10
08-09-2004, 06:17 AM
I totally agree superpink! I don't think his emotions cost him the match at all. In fact, IMO, it made him more pumped up. And I always like to see players like that, you know, wild emotions like that show great heart out there. And in the end that's what really matters, you know, if you really want it or not. Unfortunately, Andre played, well, TOO DAMN GOOD last night and he deserved the win. Again, to that linesperson, SHAME ON YOU! lol