2009 Davis Cup [Archive] - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

2009 Davis Cup

Pages : 1 2 [3]

gwumwen
03-08-2009, 04:51 PM
That is so true, it's different in NL :p
Here it's usually "We (=the whole country) won and they (=the national team or even just one of them if a mistake is made) lost" :rolleyes:
I really hate this way of thinking... the players are in the team for a reason, if the people watching think they can do it better, they shouldn't watch the match, they should play it...
oh you reminded me... I was with my friends today watching our team play in the Davis Cup, we lost but we were all happy that the players played better than they did usually. The mentality was a bit different cos we all believed we would lose anyway, but still wanted to go there to cheer for them.

krn81
03-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Where did you live? :)
I was living in the lost east (a small town called hengelo closed to enschede). I am still missing NL sometimes and my dutch is disaster now. And you, where are you living?

And in France, french are same than dutch, lot of people say it is normal they lost, they are french, bad, blabla (even they did not see the match)... of course, when they win everything is so different.:rolleyes:

Tutu
03-08-2009, 04:55 PM
I was living in the lost east (a small town called hengelo closed to enschede). I am still missing NL sometimes and my dutch is disaster now. And you, where are you living?

And in France, french are same than dutch, lot of people say it is normal they lost, they are french, bad, blabla (even they did not see the match)... of course, when they win everything is so different.:rolleyes:

:lol:

Cloudygirl
03-08-2009, 05:00 PM
:) Yeah I know, I know. :sad: Its just that he had so many chances and each time, he crumbled mentally. That just defeats the point of Gilles Simon! :lol:
I don't think he did crumble mentally he just played one sloppy service game.

turtle-rn
03-08-2009, 05:12 PM
What a bummer! >_< Congrats to the Czechs tho.

Now Stan-the-Man, go beat Roddick and save my day! :D

Kezzi
03-08-2009, 05:28 PM
oh you reminded me... I was with my friends today watching our team play in the Davis Cup, we lost but we were all happy that the players played better than they did usually. The mentality was a bit different cos we all believed we would lose anyway, but still wanted to go there to cheer for them.
I would do exactly the same :)
The Dutch wasn't even available on normal tv (only a digital channel), I could only watch Ukraine - Great Britain on tv :rolleyes:
I don't really care if they win or lose, but I still want the chance to watch the matches :p I like Thiemo de Bakker and Rogier Wassen is from my hometown.
I like them, but in doubles I was cheering for Argentina. Vassallo Arguello let me walk over the court towards Gilles in the middle of his own training, so he's my hero :worship:

Eimear O'Mahony
03-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Of course the result is bad but today he really was himself, the player I love since the first time I saw him.
Friday was a big disapointment for me, I felt the match was somehow an "occasion manquée" and that Gilles was far from playing well. But today I thought he really did all that he could, considering his present state of confidence which we all know isn't perfect, used his weapons, played his tennis and fought. Obviously he had in front of him not only a wonderful player, but a great Davis Cup fighter, completely transcended by the event. I imagine that, for somebody not involved in it, it must have been a beautiful match to watch. I am not worried about his future in DC. Gilles will pull the lessons and come back stronger from it. Today, despite the defeat, I am proud of him.

:yeah: Perfect Xavier. You summed up my thoughts better than I ever could

Kezzi
03-08-2009, 05:33 PM

My geography isn't good, but I believe Hengelo isn't such a small town, is it?
Never been there :p
I live in the south. In Roermond, the middle of the worm hanging on to the rest of NL ;)

I always hear the prejudice that France is way to proud of itself :p
But I recognize that, I guess other countries suffer from it too :)

Tutu
03-08-2009, 05:38 PM
I don't think he did crumble mentally he just played one sloppy service game.

He really should have converted some of the Bps in set 2 and should have served out set 3, and the TB :tape:. (I didnt see 1)

But anyway, its just a learning curve for Gilles, as people have said, im sure he will learn from this and it'll make him stronger and I cant wait to see him win his first masters series title at IW next week. :woohoo: :bowdown:

Truc
03-08-2009, 05:38 PM
"Je ne me sens pas coupable, mais responsable..." - I don't feel guilty, but responsible.
That's all I've seen from him so far, they're taking their time to update the FFT website... Your friend Baraise doesn't agree with you this time, Xavier, he found Gilles really poor.

And it was quick, it seems he already has a new nickname on French forums: Simone. :p (It's the female form of his family name, a way to say he has no balls.) TBH, it made me smile.

gwumwen
03-08-2009, 05:40 PM
I would do exactly the same :)
The Dutch wasn't even available on normal tv (only a digital channel), I could only watch Ukraine - Great Britain on tv :rolleyes:
I don't really care if they win or lose, but I still want the chance to watch the matches :p I like Thiemo de Bakker and Rogier Wassen is from my hometown.
I like them, but in doubles I was cheering for Argentina. Vassallo Arguello let me walk over the court towards Gilles in the middle of his own training, so he's my hero :worship:
No media care about tennis in Hong Kong, the only Davis Cup result they showed on TV is Spain vs Serbia because Nadal is in, they don't even show the result of our home city
But luckily the match is free-of-charge, so we just walk in to cheer for our team:)

xhr75019
03-08-2009, 05:43 PM
I always hear the prejudice that France is way to proud of itself :p
But I recognize that, I guess other countries suffer from it too :)

Isn't there a german proverb that says : "Heureux comme Dieu en France" ?
That's enough to get a superiority complex :) Geographically speaking I must admit we are spoiled brats...

anaquot
03-08-2009, 05:44 PM
And it was quick, it seems he already has a new nickname on French forums: Simone. :p (It's the female form of his family name, a way to say he has no balls.) TBH, it made me smile.

Ouch! What bastards. :boxing:

Puschkin
03-08-2009, 05:45 PM

C'est plutôt "manger ou vivre comme Dieu en France".:D

Truc
03-08-2009, 05:45 PM
But anyway, its just a learning curve for Gilles, as people have said, im sure he will learn from this and it'll make him stronger and I cant wait to see him win his first masters series title at IW next week. :woohoo: :bowdown::lol: Seriously, I think he's on the right path again, I was more worried after his last tournaments, his serve looked normal, his game OK. His average game wasn't good enough for DC, and it's normal to be tense for a first DC tie, but he really shouldn't let it affect him imo.
I don't think he cares that much about what people write about him, his own feeling is what matters to him, and he sounded more positive again this week. Tulasne sounded rather positive too when they interviewed him, I think he will get over it.

He has no pressure anymore in the next events, no points to defend, he can play freely. He managed to make two semi-finals during that ugly post-AO slump when he was playing some of his worse tennis, so he really did some nice damage control there.

I really think he's the kind of guy who can say "fuck you!" to the media if he finds their criticism unjustified. He's always said Richard should take it that way, so time for him to put it into practice if people want to find a scapegoat in him.

gwumwen
03-08-2009, 05:47 PM
"Je ne me sens pas coupable, mais responsable..." - I don't feel guilty, but responsible.
That's all I've seen from him so far, they're taking their time to update the FFT website... Your friend Baraise doesn't agree with you this time, Xavier, he found Gilles really poor.

o what a name, it makes me laugh
people are quick when it comes to insulting others

Eimear O'Mahony
03-08-2009, 05:47 PM
I hope he comes back stronger in Indian Wells. As you said, he's got no points to defend so he can just relax, enjoy himself and take heart from the fact his game is coming together again

Kezzi
03-08-2009, 05:48 PM

In Italy for example it's a guys first name :p So depends in which country you live if he has balls or not with that name ;)

krn81
03-08-2009, 05:48 PM
C'est plutôt "manger ou vivre comme Dieu en France".:D

So how it is in German: Leben als Gott in Frankreich ??

a good expression to pop up in my office :p

Kezzi
03-08-2009, 05:50 PM
No media care about tennis in Hong Kong, the only Davis Cup result they showed on TV is Spain vs Serbia because Nadal is in, they don't even show the result of our home city
But luckily the match is free-of-charge, so we just walk in to cheer for our team:)
Really? :eek:
When the Dutch team plays in NL they dare to ask just as much a day as the atp tournament in Rotterdam :rolleyes:

Kezzi
03-08-2009, 05:52 PM
That's enough to get a superiority complex :) Geographically speaking I must admit we are spoiled brats...
I can't speak French, but I think we have the same in Dutch :p
At least, if my translation of the last part being "God in France" is right :)

krn81
03-08-2009, 05:53 PM
He has no pressure anymore in the next events, no points to defend, he can play freely. He managed to make two semi-finals during that ugly post-AO slump when he was playing some of his worse tennis, so he really did some nice damage control there.

he is able to reach 2 semi finals with an average level as he was saying, no point to defend and a better level that is coming back, he could arrive to RG really well placed.
By the way, Fran can you tell me which is his favourite surface?

xhr75019
03-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Your friend Baraise doesn't agree with you this time, Xavier, he found Gilles really poor.

Yes I just saw that. I answered one of the posters there, but my post hasn't been validated yet.

(et franchement, Françoise, ne le prends pas mal mais je comprends le mouvement d'humeur de Marion tout à l'heure. Ta négativité est vraiment dure à avaler pour nous autres malheureux optimistes, surtout les jours de matchs quand tu enfonces le clou à chaque occasion, jusqu'à cinq minutes avant que le match commence, et pendant...)

Kezzi
03-08-2009, 05:56 PM

a good expression to pop up in my office :p
Yep, it's the same in Dutch :p "Leven als God in Frankrijk"
When I see it next to eachother like this, even in writing it's almost the same :)

Puschkin
03-08-2009, 05:57 PM
:topic: Leben wie Gott in Frankreich.

"Wie" and "als" are not the exactly the same in german in this context. However, I can'tt explain it in English, it would be the same Living like God in france.

But the German meaning is not that you are god-like, but that your enviroment is so great that you feel like god. Do you get what I mean?

gwumwen
03-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Really? :eek:
When the Dutch team plays in NL they dare to ask just as much a day as the atp tournament in Rotterdam :rolleyes:
what? :cuckoo:
but then they have to make it free here cos I am sure no one would buy the tickets even if it costs only a few bucks, the court is only half full today, i guess we have around 1000 ppl there in total
It wasn't full either when Venus played against Jelena Jankovic in an exhibition match earlier in January. I guess it is just an exhibition match but when would you get to see two world class players play? The capacity of the stadium? 3600.

krn81
03-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks Puschkin, I am still learning German (and still need lot of improvements), i catched it (i was translating directly from dutch where i knew this expression)

About the article in the fft website the conclusion is really nice:
L'équipe de France de Coupe Davis était belle, mais elle manquait d'expérience. Et les Tchèques ont été très forts. Il y aura des jours meilleurs…
The French team of Davis Cup was beautiful, but some experience was missing. And the czechs were really strong. Some better days will come...

xhr75019
03-08-2009, 06:04 PM
But the German meaning is not that you are god-like, but that your enviroment is so great that you feel like god. Do you get what I mean?

That's what I meant and how I understand it too. A purely geographical superiority complex.

Eimear O'Mahony
03-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Aw that's really nice. I think its so true. The 4 musketeers will make France a DC team to be afraid of once Gilles and Jo just get a bit more experience

MsTree
03-08-2009, 06:06 PM
And I'm from "God's own country" too so that makes us all minor deities :devil:

gwumwen
03-08-2009, 06:07 PM
:topic: Leben wie Gott in Frankreich.

"Wie" and "als" are not the exactly the same in german in this context. However, I can'tt explain it in English, it would be the same Living like God in france.

I finally understand what you guys have been talking about :lol:
From what I know, many Asian countries have this saying too

xhr75019
03-08-2009, 06:09 PM
From what I know, many Asian countries have this saying too

About France ? Or about other countries ?

gwumwen
03-08-2009, 06:11 PM
About France ? Or about other countries ?
China is always anti-France :lol::lol::lol:

xhr75019
03-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Not always :) in the 60's it was big love when de Gaulle was the first western leader to recognize and talk to Mao... :topic: sorry

Nastasie
03-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Its just sad to see him struggling this year, I hope he can overcome all the problems he's been having and start to do himself justice again.

Erm, hi, sorry to barge in without a proper introduction, but I really wanted to add my two cents after today.

It just seems to me that Gillou is having trouble adjusting to his new status. Last year he was playing with zero pressure. This year he's a top ten player and therefore expected to win certain matches, and he expects certain things from himself too, which is the most important factor. He keeps saying his game is off, but that's, at least in part, because he's having trouble keeping his mind clear. I think it's normal, and he'll get through it, he just needs some time to adjust (and it'll help if he stops being so hard on himself).

Also, he's been trying to be a bit more aggressive (I'm not sure I agree with the way they're going about it, but that's another matter), and that's bound to throw him off and make his game patchy, too.

I see no reason not to remain optimistic.:)

As for this DC, he has nothing to be ashamed of, and I really hope the press and *ahem* certain players don't give him a hard time.

And hi again to everyone.:wavey:

Puschkin
03-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Not always :) in the 60's it was big love when de Gaulle was the first western leader to recognize and talk to Mao... :topic: sorry
You see, we are trying all sorts of :topic: to console you....;)

MsTree
03-08-2009, 06:20 PM
I see no reason not to remain optimistic.:)

Exactly. And welcome! :wavey:

krn81
03-08-2009, 06:28 PM
the interview of gilles is available on the fft website. Is someone can get it? It is not working at the moment on my computer.

gwumwen
03-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Exactly. And welcome! :wavey:
I missed the word "not" when I first Nastasie's post. And seeing you agreeing makes me scared:unsure::unsure:
What a stupid mistake I have made:lol::lol:

xhr75019
03-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Thank you Marge, that's very sweet of you (do you hate being called Marge because of Marge Simpson ? :lol:)
And a big applause to Nastasie with whom I completely agree on both points. You should barge in more often ;)

Nastasie
03-08-2009, 06:37 PM
I missed the word "not" when I first Nastasie's post. And seeing you agreeing makes me scared:unsure::unsure:
What a stupid mistake I have made:lol::lol:

My fault for phrasing it like that, it is weird.

Nastasie
03-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Thank you Marge, that's very sweet of you (do you hate being called Marge because of Marge Simpson ? :lol:)
And a big applause to Nastasie with whom I completely agree on both points. You should barge in more often ;)

Lol, thanks. I'm trying to overcome my forumphobia and start de-lurking. You guys are a nice and fun bunch here. :D

gwumwen
03-08-2009, 06:43 PM

My fault for phrasing it like that, it is weird.
It's ok, it's just my problem, I don't use English that often :)
Gilles will come through alright. When people say Gilles crumble mentally at certain points, it reminds me of the AO 09 quarters Fed vs Del Portro. That's what I called crumble. With his mental toughness, he will adjust to his new position pretty soon.

gwumwen
03-08-2009, 06:48 PM
the interview of gilles is available on the fft website. Is someone can get it? It is not working at the moment on my computer.
There's no content in that interview link yet.

xhr75019
03-08-2009, 06:54 PM
You guys are a nice and fun bunch here. :D

Hear that ? Marion, Françoise, everyone ! GROUP HUG !!! :lol:

xhr75019
03-08-2009, 06:57 PM
The link for the interview worked for me

Nichele Hull
03-08-2009, 06:58 PM
I just read the interview and he is so disappointed with himself.I can't seem to post it here for some reason :confused:

krn81
03-08-2009, 06:58 PM
I could hear it. Now I know why I appreciate this player.

Mainly he is saying that it is really difficult to loose 2 matches, specially in front of his friends.

He has kind of feeling to be responsible of the defeat but he tried everything he could. He also say that Stepanek was playing better the key points than him. The match was only 3 sets but it was intensive and 2h30 is long for this kind of match. He tried to push him to the limit, he was not so far but could not get it.
He also said that the defeats are painfull but seeing your friends and realizing that he lost 2 matchs, he is deprive them of continuing the adventure. Even if they have solidarity together, he is carrying this weight. He is disppointed not to let Jo to win the last point and also not to continue. They have a good atmosphere.
He said he has no reproach, the czechs were really strong during all the weekend and realized the performance they did. He learned also that he did not play better at the key moment. It is really painful to loose his 2 first matches but it is giving him a lesson. He is saying to move forward you need to get some hit on your face (se prendre des coups dans la tronche pour avancer). And to finish this experience will be good for his davis cup but it will change nothing during tournaments, he will come back to his habits. He will take this to move forward.

Gilou Gilou :hug: keep going in indian wells now

gwumwen
03-08-2009, 07:07 PM
I could hear it. Now I know why I appreciate this player.

Mainly he is saying that it is really difficult to loose 2 matches, specially in front of his friends.

He has kind of feeling to be responsible of the defeat but he tried everything he could. He also say that Stepanek was playing better the key points than him. The match was only 3 sets but it was intensive and 2h30 is long for this kind of match. He tried to push him to the limit, he was not so far but could not get it.
He also said that the defeats are painfull but seeing your friends and realizing that he lost 2 matchs, he is deprive them of continuing the adventure. Even if they have solidarity together, he is carrying this weight. He is disppointed not to let Jo to win the last point and also not to continue. They have a good atmosphere.
He said he has no reproach, the czechs were really strong during all the weekend and realized the performance they did. He learned also that he did not play better at the key moment. It is really painful to loose his 2 first matches but it is giving him a lesson. He is saying to move forward you need to get some hit on your face (se prendre des coups dans la tronche pour avancer). And to finish this experience will be good for his davis cup but it will change nothing during tournaments, he will come back to his habits. He will take this to move forward.

Gilou Gilou :hug: keep going in indian wells now
thanks for the summary Karine:smooch:
I dunno French, to me, he sounds clam and not too harsh on himself, which is a good sound.
I can't wait for IW!

Truc
03-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Yes, I don't find his interview too negative. He's sad, of course, but he says he gave his best, he has the impression he coped quite well with the pressure, he had a good feeling on the court - but he wasn't able to transcend himself at key moments.
I've read in another article he underlined that in Madrid he won 4 matches 7-6 in the last set, here he lost all 4 TB, there's obviously a confidence issue atm.
But he doesn't sound crushed.

Guille.
03-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Yes, I don't find his interview too negative. He's sad, of course, but he says he gave his best, he has the impression he coped quite well with the pressure, he had a good feeling on the court - but he wasn't able to transcend himself at key moments.
I've read in another article he underlined that in Madrid he won 4 matches 7-6 in the last set, here he lost all 4 TB, there's obviously a confidence issue atm.

Eimear O'Mahony
03-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Poor Gilles. You can tell he's disappointed he's let his friends down but he's sounding mature and reasonable about it and I don't think its going to get him down too much. He'll be okay I'm sure :)

krn81
03-08-2009, 07:21 PM

I agree. He gave a good analyze of what happened and of course, he is sad but not destroyed. Lot of players will not react as him.
He is himself. The journalists just need to copy paste what he said and they have a good resume. He should be journalist ;)

but-it's-ok
03-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Thats why I love Gilles,the way he handles defeat,he's honest and heartfelt:)

Group Hug, OK;):hug:

Eimear O'Mahony
03-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Yay!!! Group hug!!! :hug: for everybody

Truc
03-08-2009, 07:38 PM
The bit about Madrid was here: http://www.lemonde.fr/web/depeches/0,14-0,39-38663212@7-37,0.html

«Ce n'est pas la pression de l'événement qui m'a fait rater. C'est autre chose. Un manque de confiance en général. Sur des tournois précédents, j'ai déjà perdu quelques matchs comme ça qui ne m'ont pas fait du bien.»
http://www.20minutes.fr/article/308807/Sport-Gilles-Simon-assume-le-fiasco-d-Ostrava.php
I didn't fail because of the pressure of the DC. It's something else. A lack of confidence in general. I lost some matches in recent tournaments which haven't helped.

I think that was maybe his biggest mistake this week-end. To have assumed he was able to do it. But since he really was looking better than two weeks ago, I can see why he thought he had a better feeling and it was time for him to take his responsibility. And on Sunday, he had to go anyway, I really don't blame Richard for not feeling like doing it with his DC history. So he had to go out there, with his confidence already shaken, hence the TB disaster imo. But given the circumstances, he did cope quite well with the pressure - until the tiebreaks.

Truc
03-08-2009, 07:44 PM
I also found Tulasne's short interview after the 1st set interesting. He said Gilles' game was quite good, but he wasn't returning as well as he can because he seemed to be trying a tad too hard.
And I can imagine it was a bit uncomfortable for him, when he knows the whole team is waiting for him to be more aggressive, when Forget probably keeps telling him that during the changevoers. He often has slow first sets where he is trying more to adjust, to take his bearings, at his own pace, to decipher the serve of the opponent... I understand everybody is getting impatient watching him play like that in DC, but he has his own rhythm to find into the matches.
We know Forget loves attacking tennis, so I can imagine it's not as easy for them to find the right balance as with Jo who plays the kind of tennis Forget loves. Gilles might feel a bit rushed too at times.

I really think he can be a good DC player because I've seen players being more petrified, I'm sure he can deal with that pressure. And best of 5 matches are good for him as he has a good stamina and has more time to find into the match - but not on this surface and not with a shaky confidence. I hope it won't jeopardize his chances for the next ties.

Eimear O'Mahony
03-08-2009, 07:51 PM
I have to be honest Fran, that was my first thought after the match "Well that's Gilles finished with DC then" but that was only a knee jerk reaction on my part. I'm sure gilles will be involved in the next tie if he's still the French No. 1 and he's showing a bit of decent form

but-it's-ok
03-08-2009, 07:54 PM
I agree completely with Tulasne's take on Gilles and your assessments Fran;)

krn81
03-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Fran, your analyze is good.
Of course, he will be a good dc player, but for a 1st selection, lot of players did not have to face what he had to. Being number 1, facing really good players, has to play the decisive match and not arriving with high level of confidence even it was better lately. Well he lost but it was not huge defeat, he was competiting.

I have still in mind what Boestch said at the end of the match, "we faced the same in 1995 and we won the dc in 1996". I still believe this team will win one day.

Eimear O'Mahony
03-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Its definitely the strongest team France have had and their best team to date and I truly believe Gilles will be a hero in the DC for a long time to come (along with his lover-boy Gael, Rich and Jo of course ;) )

turtle-rn
03-08-2009, 08:07 PM
I think that was maybe his biggest mistake this week-end. To have assumed he was able to do it. But since he really was looking better than two weeks ago, I can see why he thought he had a better feeling and it was time for him to take his responsibility.
What else could he do? :confused: He had to assume that Forget knew what he was doing in choosing him for the singles, that it was the best option for the team no matter how he personally felt about his game at that time. Had he declined his selection (is that an option?), that would definitely hazard his chances for future ties. :shrug:

gwumwen
03-08-2009, 08:08 PM
I completely agree with you, Fran, good analysis.
His style of play is not always fun (can't think of another word atm) to watch for DC audience, he's not the one firing winners to cheer the crowd. I hope Gilles would not be affected by the whole atmosphere into rushing some points. But he would be a good DC player, I am confident on that.

Kezzi
03-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Hear that ? Marion, Françoise, everyone ! GROUP HUG !!! :lol:
:hug:

xhr75019
03-08-2009, 08:14 PM
What Tutu says about trying too hard can be brought together with what Gilles said in his interview "Si mes passings sont restés dans la bande, si mes attaques sont sorties de cinq ou dix centimètres, il y a une raison." Fran, when did he invoque this "general lack of confidence" problem (independant from the CD stress) for the first time ? He did it today openly. Did he mention it in those words in Rotterdam, Marseille and Dubai ?

krn81
03-08-2009, 10:13 PM
his interview written in L Equipe.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2009/20090308_193404_simon-responsable-pas-coupable.html

Nothing news, he is just a grat analyzer of himself

Truc
03-08-2009, 10:47 PM
I don't know, Xavier, it seems to me he's been hinting at a lack of confidence in his game all the time in the interviews, but maybe not in those words indeed.

He says it too in the interview posted by Karine - with a great feel for words, as usual: "Ce sont quelques points, c'est rien. Mais ce rien, ce n'est pas un hasard si je ne l'ai pas aujourd'hui."

Tutu
03-09-2009, 01:50 AM
^Agreed.

Masha91
03-09-2009, 03:29 AM
Yay group hug time!

Truc
03-09-2009, 07:57 AM
There's nothing new in L'Equipe & Co.
I would have been interested in Tulasne's take on the match, but it's just the statements of Forget & Co we could find everywhere.

Their match report:
Pour son baptême de Coupe Davis, vendredi, contre Berdych, Simon a subi la loi du plus puissant ; hier, contre Stepanek, celle du plus malin. Dans les deux cas, il se tassa un peu sous le poids de l’atmosphère de la Coupe. Certes, il a déjà joué beaucoup plus mal. Certes, d’autres que lui dans cette situation se sont sentis autrement écrasés par l’enjeu. Mais, bien qu’il ne s’en rendît pas compte tout à fait au sortir du court, lui aussi fut atteint par cette « responsabilité » aiguë, qui corrode juste assez les nerfs pour pousser à la faute aux moments cruciaux.
Simon a tout donné, et pourtant, à aucun moment il n’a réussi à jouer en numéro 8 mondial. Hésitant depuis le début de saison, il n’a pas retrouvé l’allant d’une fin d’année 2008 du feu de jeu. Son niveau du jour lui aurait permis de battre bien des adversaires mais, sur une surface au rebond aussi bas, Radek Stepanek pratique le tennis idéal pour l’embrouiller : un mélange sucré-salé de service-volée et de slice sans consistance, relevé par juste ce qu’il faut d’amorties vachardes pour exploiter les lacunes du Français au filet. Un arsenal trop fragile pour résister au marteau piqueur de Jo- Wilfried Tsonga, mais parfait pour saigner un adversaire dépourvu de la puissance nécessaire pour infliger un K.-O.
Une fois la nervosité initiale surmontée et trois balles de break sauvées dès le quatrième jeu, Simon sembla pourtant prendre l’ascendant jusqu’au tie-break du premier set. À chaque fois, une pétouille l’avait empêché d’exploiter ces micro-occasions, qui, à 0-15 ou à 15-30, peuvent se transformer très vite en brèches. Comme contre Berdych vendredi, le premier tie-break lui coûta cher. Un coup droit dehors. Un enchaînement service-volée saugrenu et raté. Une amortie du Tchèque : 7-2.
Et la gangrène du cerveau qui coûte un break d’entrée au deuxième set. Sans oublier ce problème constant au retour de service, qui lui valut d’attendre 1 h 22’ de jeu avant sa première balle de (dé)break pour revenir à 4-4. Un passing ralenti par la bande du filet, la voilà envolée et le set avec.
Coïncidence ou non, dans le troisième set, il fallut attendre que Jo-Wilfried Tsonga s’installe au premier rang d’un box où Gaël Monfils se démenait depuis longtemps pour que Simon passe à la vitesse supérieure après avoir sauvé quatre balles de break vitales à 2-2. Le grand « Jo » en sortit une fois que son pote eut fait son premier break du match pour mener 5-4 après deux heures et quart de jeu. Mais son deuxième séjour aux vestiaires fut bref. Simon perdit immédiatement son avantage au terme d’un jeu entamé par une double faute et par une attaque sortie d’un rien. Une volée de revers ratée sur le deuxième point puis un passing de Stepanek mirent le tie-break si loin hors de portée du Français que le retour de Tsonga dans le clan ne servit plus à rien : 7-0. En deux matches, Simon aura perdu quatre tie-breaks en ne marquant que sept points. Même Tsonga, premier à venir poser la main sur son épaule, ne pouvait sans doute l’en consoler. It acknowledges he has not been playing well lately, but says the "responsibility" feeling made him play poorly when it mattered. The part about him playing better only when Jo is sitting courtside is ^^.

Truc
03-09-2009, 08:06 AM
And the part about him in the "point by point" analysis :
SIMON N’A RIEN À SE REPROCHER : FAUX
Dévasté pour les copains, Gilles Simon s’est trouvé ce week-end plutôt bon, et pas dépassé par l’enjeu. Malgré tout, lui souvent si franc dans la reconnaissance de ses manquements, semblait cette fois-ci légèrement en panne de discernement. « Un manque de lucidité », avait cru entrevoir Patrice Dominguez, prenant juste comme exemple son manque de prise de temps avant de servir. Au final, le 8e joueur mondial aura marqué sept points en quatre tie-breaks ce weekend, en complète défaillance durant les moments chauds. Hier, c’est lui qui a craqué, sans que Stepanek, par ailleurs excellent, n’y soit toujours pour grand-chose. « Gilles a été inhibé », estimait Dominguez. « Tout le temps sur le même rythme », selon Sébastien Grosjean. « Il n’a jamais produit son jeu, ajoutait Cédric Pioline. Il a tout le temps été en dedans et n’a pas eu le coup de rein nécessaire quand Stepanek a eu un coup de moins bien. » Logiquement, Simon a eu du mal à digérer sa première sélection. En attendant d’emmagasiner l’expérience, le reconnaître n’a rien de honteux.
"Simon has got nothing to reproach himself with: wrong"
It criticizes his lack of lucidity when he says he played quite well and coped well with the DC pressure. Dominguez says he wasn't lucid enough and didn't take enough time before serving, for example. He's the one who crumbled in the key moments, even if Steps was very good the rest of the time. Dominguez says he was "inhibited". Grosjean stresses he always played at the same pace. Pioline says he never produced his game, he always was a bit "out of it" (that's not the right translation, I don't know how to say "en dedans") and he wasn't able to step it up when Steps' level dropped. He had trouble coping with his first nomination in DC. It wouldn't be a shame to admit it.

Really nothing very harsh, he'll get over it.
People always make such a big deal out of the DC and the DC experience in France. But when a player is on a roll and full of confidence, he will play well in Davis Cup; when a player is struggling, he will play badly in Davis Cup. It might accentuate it a bit, but I think they insist too much on his lack of experience in DC and the fact he's wrong not to admit it. I don't think he would have beaten this Stepanek either in Rotterdam or Marseille the way he's been playing lately. That's why he shouldn't have played these matches, but well, he had to, he tried and he lost.

Puschkin
03-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Really nothing very harsh, he'll get over it.
I am really suprised that you take all this criticism so lightly. Is it really necessary to repeat all this at length in public? And off all the guys, it is Dominguez again, whom I find most embarassing. :rolleyes:

MsTree
03-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Well I for one want to read what the French Press are saying, even if it's negative, so thanks for posting it Fran. I feel the same, he'll get over it, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.... :)

Truc
03-09-2009, 09:10 AM
I am really suprised that you take all this criticism so lightly.And I found it really weird yesterday to see in the DC thread all the "he's going to get destroyed by the press! Will he be able to recover? It will be terrible!"

I don't find the criticism unfair. He was not good enough and he completely crumbled when it mattered, of course they're going to comment on it. They lost because of him.
The only thing which annoys me is when they question his analysis because what he says makes sense, he has the right to see his lack of confidence as the main reason, why are they all so sure he failed because it was the DC?

And I don't find Dominguez particularly embarrassing. Why is he more embarrassing than Pioline, for example?

Puschkin
03-09-2009, 10:01 AM
And I don't find Dominguez particularly embarrassing. Why is he more embarrassing than Pioline, for example?
Probably it is my suspicions against this guy, but I find "une manque de lucidité" more cruel than he never played his game. The latter at least states that he has a game and weapons....

Eimear O'Mahony
03-09-2009, 10:15 AM
I think it's a bit harsh to say they lost solely because of Gilles Fran. There are a number of potential reasons why they lost. They could have lost because Forget picked the wrong doubles combination, they could have lost because Stepanek was just unplayable on the day etc ... It is a bit unfair and harsh to say they lost purely because of Gilles. Okay he lost both his rubbers but if the doubles hadn't been lost Jo would have been in with a shout of winning the decisive rubber so that had a factor in it too. Yes Gilles crumbled in the final set tie-break but that's not the reason they lost, imo. Of course it contributed - it'd be foolish to say it didn't - but it wasn't the whole reason in my opinion

Truc
03-09-2009, 10:50 AM
I posted the full article in the DC thread, that was just the part about him:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=8253547&postcount=549

But it's true that if you read their 5 points, he's the main culprit: :p
SIMON HAS GOT NOTHING TO REPROACH HIMSELF WITH: WRONG
TSONGA IS THE BOSS: YES
FORGET IS IN DANGER: WRONG
A BAD CHOICE IN DOUBLES: WRONG
A UNITED TEAM: YES

Puschkin
03-09-2009, 10:57 AM
A UNITED TEAM: YES
:eek: I just read this part now, where was Forget when Jo ws playing, so that Gael had to "replace" him?

Eimear O'Mahony
03-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Forget was on the court with Gael ... it was just Gael joking around. Ah sure no harm done Fran. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion :) As far as I'm concerned, yes Gilles didn't exactly help the cause but he certainly wasn't the only one to blame but there's no point in dwelling on it. What's happened has happened its over we should try to forget it and move on to the next tournament :)

Truc
03-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Forget was there too, there are pics on the FFT website:
http://www.fft.fr/coupe-davis/2009/rep_tch-france/album/album12/index.html

Sorry, I hadn't seen Eimear's post, I had to post something to make it appear...

Puschkin
03-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Forget was there too, there are pics on the FFT ...

:o I obviously misunderstood it then.

Masha91
03-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the new articles Truc!

Keijan
03-09-2009, 06:09 PM
His audio itw is up : http://www.daviscup.com/news/audio.asp

It kills me to hear him, he sounds so dejected.

Eimear O'Mahony
03-09-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm almost afraid to listen to it Marion :sad:

Keijan
03-09-2009, 06:22 PM
No go on, it's okay, he doesn't say anything bad like he wants to stop tennis and become a monk in Tibet :lol: Actually he's even already looking towards the future and in a good way. But his voice, especially in the beginning, completely broke my heart :sad:

Eimear O'Mahony
03-09-2009, 06:24 PM
I'll have a listen later on when my parents go out and I can turn up the volume loud enough to hear it without interrupting them :lol: I'll just imagine the comforting shower Richie has had with him and I'll be okay :lol:

Kezzi
03-09-2009, 06:43 PM
He sounds so sad :awww:
For me it was funny to hear too, because in this interview he sounds exactly the same as when my French friend speaks in English :p

krn81
03-09-2009, 06:46 PM
But his voice, especially in the beginning, completely broke my heart :sad:

Yep I heard some sadness in his voice. I dont know when this interview was done, because in the French one, the tone of his voice was not so sad. I guess this one was done before the French one.

gwumwen
03-09-2009, 06:58 PM
His audio itw is up : http://www.daviscup.com/news/audio.asp

It kills me to hear him, he sounds so dejected.
It broke my heart hearing him sounds like that...
I wanna go and give him a big good hug

Eimear O'Mahony
03-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Just listened to it. Poor Gilles :sad: Still, he'll be back better than ever I'm sure :)

ellen_
03-09-2009, 07:12 PM
He sounds sad indeed. He also sighes a few times during the interview :awww: I hope he got a lot of hugs by now ;) But he'll get over this, he's strong enough. Can't wait for IW :dance:

but-it's-ok
03-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Marion,thanks for posting the interview:hug: Gilles:sad::sad: He's a strong character,he'll be over this very soon. Another:hug:for you Gilles.

port37
03-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Thanks to everyone sharing their thoughts and analysis of the tie here, I didn't catch any of it so I've had to catch up by reading through this thread. Sounds like they were heartbreak matches. Poor Gillou...tough initiation to DC but it will only make him better prepared for the next time he plays and hopefully he'll go into it with some momentum and confidence unlike this time.

And that group hug was very sweet! He has very good fans here. :hug:

Puschkin
03-10-2009, 07:23 AM
he sounds so dejected.
:sad: true, but even dejected, he gives intelligent answers. :worship: I feel a lot of sympathy for my second-favourite Frenchie.:hug:

Masha91
03-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Oh Gillou, you're amazing. So strong.

Frankie
03-10-2009, 02:17 PM
:sad: true, but even dejected, he gives intelligent answers. :worship:

Exactly! He's acknowledging the lessons he can take from this and I'm sure it'll make him stronger, just like the similar turning point after Indian Wells last year: I'm sure it'll all be mightily positive for him and his game in the long-run! Unfortunately, I didn't see the match on Sunday, but I wouldn't put a defeat to an in-form Stepanek at home, indoors, down as an awful loss, so I don't think he really needs to do too much 'soul-searching' to pick himself up from this! Obviously, it was a loss for the team too, but he shouldn't be solely held-to-account for that, there's the matter of his selection in the first place (not his fav surface, out-of-form/confidence etc), and also the doubles loss, so if any jounalists are giving him grief over it he should justifiably ignore them or tell them all to bugger off! :) I still believe in Gillou! Bring on Indian Wells! :rocker:

rtgy
03-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Exactly! He's acknowledging the lessons he can take from this and I'm sure it'll make him stronger, just like the similar turning point after Indian Wells last year: I'm sure it'll all be mightily positive for him and his game in the long-run! Unfortunately, I didn't see the match on Sunday, but I wouldn't put a defeat to an in-form Stepanek at home, indoors, down as an awful loss, so I don't think he really needs to do too much 'soul-searching' to pick himself up from this! Obviously, it was a loss for the team too, but he shouldn't be solely held-to-account for that, there's the matter of his selection in the first place (not his fav surface, out-of-form/confidence etc), and also the doubles loss, so if any jounalists are giving him grief over it he should justifiably ignore them or tell them all to bugger off! :) I still believe in Gillou! Bring on Indian Wells! :rocker:

:rocker:

I'm PROUD with you Frankie................:worship:

Eimear O'Mahony
03-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Well said Frankie :yeah:

Frankie
03-10-2009, 05:34 PM
:rocker:

I'm PROUD with you Frankie................:worship:

:hug: Thanks Yavor and Eimear too! And :hug: to everyone else too! :angel: Being a proper fan is to take the rough with the smooth! :rocker2: Even the mighty Rafa loses now and then! :lol: I just think that if Gillou had lost to 'Sexy Steps' :scratch: :cuckoo: :rolls: in a normal indoor tournament no-one would really be reading too much into it (not that any of us here are, as we all know and love Gillou for what he is!) so I don't think it being the DC or his first DC had much to do with it: tennis is just all about match-ups!

Anyway, more :hug: to everyone for the unflinching Gillou-love! You're all such a lovely bunch! :)

xhr75019
03-10-2009, 05:37 PM
You're all such a lovely bunch! :)

GROUP HUG !!! :lol:

Kezzi
03-10-2009, 10:01 PM
GROUP HUG !!! :lol:

I've missed the whole theory behind giving group hugs here, but it's fun! :bounce:

Nastasie
03-10-2009, 11:47 PM

Thank you! :yeah: My feelings exactly.

Eimear O'Mahony
03-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Seeing as I apparently give such lovely hugs I'll join in the group hug :lol: :hug:

port37
03-11-2009, 03:27 AM

reggie1
03-11-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm not being left out :lol::hug::kiss: