<~> MaRdY iN aThEnS.....cHeErInG tHrEaD <~> [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

<~> MaRdY iN aThEnS.....cHeErInG tHrEaD <~>

Aleksa's Laydee
08-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Lets go Mardy Lets go

Mardy is optimistic to make the trip as he is undergoing rehabilitation and therapy after pulling out of cincy.
Also playing for the USA are Andy, Taylor, Vince and Bob and Mike.

:bounce: :worship: :clap2: :yeah: :woohoo: :bowdown: :dance: :bigclap: :yippee: :crazy: :rocker: :banana: :music: :rocker2: :inlove: :aparty: :hearts: :kiss: :p

Aleksa's Laydee
08-07-2004, 04:36 PM
(thanks to maia for showing me it:p:D)

and his partner for the doubles andy ;)

Jennay
08-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Yay!! Good luck in Athens Mardy!! :bounce:

snaillyyy
08-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Found this in September issue of Vanity Fair

Golfnduck
08-10-2004, 02:53 AM
GO MARDY!!! I'm looking forward to watching Andy and Mardy playing doubles. I think they will go far, and hopefully medal!!! GO FISH AND RODDICK!!!

Aleksa's Laydee
08-10-2004, 05:06 PM
Found this in September issue of Vanity Fair

yummmmmmmmmmmmmmy :inlove:

RoddickBabe10
08-10-2004, 06:33 PM
:woohoo: :banana: :yippee: Go Mardy in Athens! Make us ALL proud!

Andy and Mardy are doubles partners in Athens?!?! :eek: That's even better!!! :yippee: :banana: :woohoo: GO GO GO USA!

spikeys_girl
08-11-2004, 06:46 PM
woohoo
andy and mardy.. nice one.
good luck to them both.. doubles and singles!

Golfnduck
08-11-2004, 07:50 PM
The draw comes out tomorrow. It will be interesting to see who Mardy plays first and who Andy/Mardy play first.

Aleksa's Laydee
08-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Mardy plays Jonas Bjorkman 1st and a potential 2nd round meeting with JC Ferrero
:smash: the draw

Aleksa's Laydee
08-12-2004, 01:24 PM
3 BRYAN Bob (1) USA
3 BRYAN Mike
215 SAFIN Marat RUS
125 YOUZHNY Mikhail

182 ARAZI Hicham MAR
1021 EL AYNAOUI Younes
9 MIRNYI Max BLR
265 VOLTCHKOV Vladimir

88 GONZALEZ Fernando CHI
69 MASSU Nicolas
7 KNOWLES Mark BAH
60 MERKLEIN Mark

51 LOPEZ Feliciano ESP
53 ROBREDO Tommy
19 ETLIS Gaston (6) ARG
16 RODRIGUEZ Martin

10 LLODRA Michael (3) FRA
8 SANTORO Fabrice
37 MALISSE Xavier BEL
34 ROCHUS Olivier

6 NESTOR Daniel CAN
424 NIEMEYER Fred
152 BECK Karol SVK
89 HRBATY Dominik

73 ANCIC Mario CRO
85 LJUBICIC Ivan
1 BJORKMAN Jonas SWE
217 JOHANSSON Joachim

745 ECONOMIDIS Konstantinos GRE
859 MAZARAKIS Vasilis
18 DAMM Martin (7) CZE
17 SUK Cyril

5 BHUPATHI Mahesh (5) IND
20 PAES Leander
99 FISH Mardy USA
230 RODDICK Andy

38 ALLEGRO Yves SUI
120 FEDERER Roger
43 FYRSTENBERG Mariusz POL
47 MATKOWSKI Marcin

1175 MOYA Carlos ESP
76 NADAL Rafael
80 SA Andre BRA
79 SARETTA Flavio

44 CLEMENT Arnaud FRA
62 GROSJEAN Sebastien
11 BLACK Wayne (4) ZIM
12 ULLYETT Kevin

25 ERLICH Jonathan (8) ISR
27 RAM Andi
577 ENQVIST Thomas SWE
323 SODERLING Robin

112 ANDREEV Igor RUS
100 DAVYDENKO Nikolay
105 CALLERI Agustin ARG
1175 NALBANDIAN David

1009 HANESCU Victor ROM
103 PAVEL Andrei
70 KIEFER Nicolas GER
55 SCHUETTLER Rainer

1017 BERDYCH Tomas CZE
35 NOVAK Jiri
14 ARTHURS Wayne (2) AUS
2 WOODBRIDGE Todd

this is slight better ;) only slightly tho :p

Golfnduck
08-12-2004, 03:52 PM
LETS GO MARDY!!! KICK SOME SWEDISH BUTT!!!!

-sOfia-
08-14-2004, 03:26 PM
CMON MARDYYYY!!!

Aleksa's Laydee
08-14-2004, 06:53 PM
LETS GO MARDY!!! KICKS SOME SWEDISH BUTT!!!!

:scared: leave jonas's butt out of this :haha:

Golfnduck
08-15-2004, 10:33 PM
Mardy won his first match against Jones 7-6, ret. Onto the next round!! GO MARDY AND TEAM USA!!!

lfty
08-16-2004, 09:20 AM
:woohoo: Go Mardy!!! :bounce: But I’m :sobbing: at his new ranking this week. He dropped 13 spots to #35 :tears: I hope he’s still seeded for the USO.
---

Men's Singles: Interview with M. FISH (USA) 15 Aug. 2004
ATHENS, 15 August - Comments from Mardy FISH (USA)
M. FISH/J. Bjorkman

76, 10 (ret.)

An interview with Mardy FISH (USA)

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Mardy.

Q. What do you think of the American basketball team, down by 17 points?

MARDY FISH: I don't know. I could give you a lot of stuff off the record, I guess (smiling).

Q. Go public.

MARDY FISH: No way. I can't. They would kill me. It's shocking. I mean, but Olympics, you know, it's kind of like Davis Cup. You throw out every record and every statistic and just play. It's totally different playing for your country.

Q. Do you feel like you're back in Delray that first set?

MARDY FISH: Kind of, yeah. I played Joachim Johansson I remember in the first round of the Australian Open last year and it was kind of like that, too. But there were a lot more. They were just lined with yellow and blue. But it was nice to see some Americans make the trip over, if they don't live here.

Q. Can you just talk about what it's been like these first few days in the village, just the village experience.

MARDY FISH: It's been great. You know, Andy and I are staying there. We moved all our stuff from the hotel over there. You know, I wouldn't--I don't know. I mean, it's tough. I can't imagine staying in a hotel in the Olympics. The Olympic village, I mean, that's like one of the things that I was really looking forward to, was like the Olympic village, you know, meeting everybody. Andy and I have met so many people already just from the United States alone, you know, from swimmers, Judo guys.

I mean, it's the most humbling place in the world, I swear, because it's like we play at these events all the time, tournaments all the time, you know, we have people coming up and asking for autographs and things like that. Everybody's the same here. It's really cool.

You know, it's the best of the best at every sport, and nobody is treated any differently than anybody else. Everybody's treated the same all the way from the speed walkers to, you know, the basketball players, which they should be if they're not (smiling).

Q. You're playing singles and doubles. You've got doubles tomorrow. You're carrying your elephant man pack.

MARDY FISH: Every match I do this so I can keep playing when I'm Andre Agassi's age (referring to the ice pack on his shoulder).

Q. You'll be fine to play every day?

MARDY FISH: Yeah, sure. My back was a little bit of an issue a week, week and a half ago, but I'm a hundred percent now. And I feel, you know, great. And I'm ready--definitely ready to get out there and play doubles with Andy tomorrow. It should be exciting to not have to do anything when he's serving.

Q. It's easy for us to look at the pair of you and think, "Andy's the senior partner because he's higher up in the single's rankings, been on the tour a bit longer." Does it feel like a partnership of equals when you're out on the court?

MARDY FISH: I mean, he's still Andy Roddick when it all comes down to it. He's, you know, the defending US Open champion coming up, playing great tennis if it weren't for Roger Federer. You know, it's going to be exciting. I mean, it's going to be fun just because we grew up, you know, dreaming about playing things like this, and we get to play with each other. It's really exciting in that aspect.

Yeah, and the other aspect, I mean, who better partner, what better partner than to play with him? I mean, we know each other's games inside and out. When we play singles against each other, we overcompensate too much. We think one thing when we should think the other thing. You know, it's hard to explain, but it's going to be exciting.

Q. So when you were living in the Roddick family home for that year, dreaming with Andy, did you ever talk about the Olympics?

MARDY FISH: You know what, it's tough. It's not really like--I mean, we watched it. I mean, I remember watching in 2000 with him, you know, watching I think they might have only had like one match on, it was the finals with Haas and Kafelnikov. I remember watching that match. I think it went something like five sets. But we definitely watched that.

I mean, had we talked about it and said, "Man, it would be cool if we could play each other," would have been maybe a little corny, but I guarantee we were thinking about it. We probably didn't say it out loud but we probably were thinking about it.

Q. How was your match today? How did you play?

MARDY FISH: Well, the conditions were tough. I felt like when I played the style that I need to play to do well here, which is go forward, come to the net, I felt like I played really well. It was the other times when--it was tough because I knew he was hurt, and it's always tough to play guys when you know they're hurt. It's just weird. They're still dangerous. You know, I only won like one point. He was hitting like 80 mile hour first serves and I only won one point in like the first four games. It was tough to just get into the match and like get my rhythm, you know, because he was obviously trying to shorten the points as much as he could. The wind was tough out there, for sure.

I mean, it's tough to really, really say how good I was playing just because of the conditions.

Q. What was his injury?

MARDY FISH: He said he pulled a muscle this morning in his lat. What are these (pointing to his side)?

Q. Stomach.

MARDY FISH: It was like the side here, so he couldn't serve.

Q. Bob and Mike Bryan were kind of laughing at how you and Andy had taken to the athlete village living quarters.

MARDY FISH: Well, we have four bedrooms, and we have Dean Goldfine, our assistant coach, Andy and I, and our guest bedroom, we call it.

Q. But they're pretty spartan, right?

MARDY FISH: What do you mean? It definitely isn't an American style. You know, there's no TV. I mean, there's a phone. You can't get on your computer. The sheets are thin. The beds are small and hard. But I love it. I mean, I swear, I love it. It's exactly what I thought it was going to be, I think.

You know, there's a place where the US athletes can go and hang out, and everyone goes down there, you know, at night. You know, there's a place where you can eat. And everybody's there, too. I mean, it's so much fun. We're just meeting people, making new friendships, I mean, with these world-class athletes who are in way better shape than I am.

Q. What's your favorite person you met or encountered so far?

MARDY FISH: Rulon Gardner was a really nice guy. Loves tennis. I mean, Andy and I hang out with the women's softball team quite a bit, met some of the volleyball players, the swimmers, the men's water polo and women's water polo. I think we're going to check out the women's volleyball tomorrow night, some of the swimmers. The men gymnasts, we were hanging out with last night. I mean, it's really fun.

Q. You guys are so much more well-known in the big grand sphere of things. Do you get the sense it's a big treat for them to be around you guys?

MARDY FISH: You can definitely tell a little bit with Andy.

Q. Like how so?

MARDY FISH: I mean, just everybody, if they don't go up to him and like say, "Can I have a picture," or start talking with him, you know, they'll do little things. You know, you can tell that they know. The ones that don't say anything, you can tell that they know who he is. They just--you know, they're too shy or, you know, they don't want to bother him or something. But you can definitely tell that they know of him.

But, I mean, in the same grand scheme of things, I mean, like I said, it's just so humbling to just--I mean, these guys are the best. You know, they're the best at their sport. Why are we more popular just because we play a sport that's different than theirs? I mean, they're just as good at their sport. Why shouldn't they be making just as much money or whatever? More of a mainstream sport, I guess than speed walking.

This guy I met at the opening ceremonies, five and a half minute speed walking mile. I can't even run that.

Q. Is he an American?

MARDY FISH: I can't remember his name.

Q. Have you told Andy all about the opening ceremony?

MARDY FISH: Yeah. It was really exciting. There's a lot of waiting and a lot of anticipation. It was about 20 or 30 minutes of just like the coolest thing. That's the coolest thing I've ever done type stuff. Walking through the tunnel out into everybody cheering and then to the torch, you know, lighting the torch. You know, you just get the goosebumps for 30 minutes there, then you wait for another five or six hours (smiling).

I went back sore. We were standing for a long time. But, I mean, definitely, definitely you have to do it.

Q. You had a delayed match. How long before you have to play again?

MARDY FISH: We play tomorrow doubles, second match.

Q. What time?

MARDY FISH: Second match.

Q. So you can get out and see the Phelps 200 free.

MARDY FISH: We were planning on going to the women's volleyball. We watched it last night. It was so exciting. It was like the most exciting sport I've ever seen. It's so cool. They were going back and forth. Ended up losing.

Q. To China.

MARDY FISH: They're good.

Aleksa's Laydee
08-16-2004, 10:49 AM
Jonas :sobbing:

GOOD LUCK MARDY v JCF!!!!

pieross
08-16-2004, 03:48 PM
:cool: thanks Ifty!!!
i enjoy the interview very much!
it seems that Mardy and Andy are happy there,so many interesting things!
Guys,do the good job !! :yeah: :yeah:

Jennay
08-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Nice job mardy :yeah: Its always hard winning to someone who retires:(
But you finally won a TB :lol:

Poor Jonas :sad: :hug:

Deboogle!.
08-16-2004, 08:07 PM
LOL Jen!! OUCH! Poor Mardy lmfao

:( What a crappy matchup, Mardy vs JCF, not fair. CMON MARDY!!!!!

Aleksa's Laydee
08-16-2004, 08:08 PM
Yep what a sucky draw...but to win a medal you gota beat the best *prays pim pim is not in his part of the draw*

Jennay
08-16-2004, 09:05 PM
LOL Jen!! OUCH! Poor Mardy lmfao

:( What a crappy matchup, Mardy vs JCF, not fair. CMON MARDY!!!!!
:awww:
I'll be so torn..

Golfnduck
08-17-2004, 11:24 AM
Mardy beat JCF 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-4. Next up is Mirnyi. GO MARDY AND TEAM USA!!!

snaillyyy
08-17-2004, 11:33 AM
Way to go Mardy!!!!! :rocker2: :rocker2: Now I can watch the third set knowing he won LOL!!!! less stress this time in the morning, LUV it

pieross
08-17-2004, 12:28 PM
well done,Mardy!!!!!!!!
keep on going!!!!
GO Mardy!

pieross
08-17-2004, 12:44 PM
todays photos

Rick V
08-17-2004, 02:56 PM
Way to fight, Mardy! It'll be ashame if Mardy doesn't become a top 10 player b/c he's got the game.

Maia
08-17-2004, 03:06 PM
Well done Mardy! :yeah: Good luck against Mirnyi
I can't beliebe they don't show any tennis here in Israel :fiery:

Deboogle!.
08-17-2004, 03:06 PM
I can't believe I forgot to change the digital box to Bravo before I went to bed :sad: They showed this match didn't they :sad: Oh well... all it matters is that Mardy is finding his form :woohoo:

Here are some more pics

pieross
08-17-2004, 03:36 PM
Postcard from the Olympics
By Karen Crouse

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Andy Roddick, the reigning U.S. Open champion and the No. 2 seed in men's singles, is a marked man — and not just on the tennis court.

The Australian women's water polo team reportedly has put together a $500 kitty. The money goes to the first among them to kiss Roddick.

After Roddick and Mardy Fish lost their first-round doubles match Monday, what could I do? I would have been remiss if I didn't ask about the kiss.

Mardy (deadpan): Oh, yeah. That. I already won.

Andy (laughing): We haven't seen them yet. I have no idea...

Mardy (interjecting): Don't say you're not trying to track them down. We're trying to find them.

Andy (laughing): I have an inside source that's supposed to be doing research for me to figure out if they're planning an ambush. I'm thinking it's just going to be like a hit-and-run where I'm standing in line for food or something. I found that pretty funny.

Mardy: How much is the pot? $500? I'm going to go in there and meet them and take half the cut. I'll give them a key to the room and everything.

Andy (turning to Mardy): Don't do that. Seriously. You would, too.

both Andy and Mardy are so cute!!

Aleksa's Laydee
08-17-2004, 04:01 PM
MARDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: :D :D :D :D :D :D :bowdown: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

Aleksa's Laydee
08-17-2004, 04:12 PM
:hearts: :inlove: those pics are so great !!! :D

Jennay
08-17-2004, 04:49 PM
MARDY!!!!!!!
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
:worship: :worship: :bowdown: :bowdown: :worship:
:dance: :dance: :banana: :banana: :dance: :banana:

PinkFeatherBoa
08-17-2004, 10:11 PM
:eek: Big celebrating in here. Well I just wanted to add my congratulations for Mardy {no matter how small and without the crazy smlies because I'm being lazy ;)}.

Mangaed to catch a bit of his match today, good on ya Mardy! Keep winning. :)

Golfnduck
08-18-2004, 01:59 AM
Mardy and TEAM USA is doing soo well this olympics. Hopefully Mardy and everyone else can keep it going. GO MARDY AND TEAM USA!!!

Aleksa's Laydee
08-18-2004, 02:27 PM
'Fish nets the biggest catch of his career' :yeah:

LETS GO TODAY MARDY LETS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

tangerine_dream
08-18-2004, 04:57 PM
Mardy is now in a terrific position to medal! :D This would be such a wonderful opportunity for him to introduce himself to the world and show that Americans other than Andy can play great tennis. And it would do wonders for his confidence going into USO. Go Mardy GO!!! You can do it!!!! :banana:

Cute picture of my two favorite guys. :hearts:

Aleksa's Laydee
08-18-2004, 05:32 PM
MARDY DEF MIRNYI
6-3 4-6 6-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o into the quarters!!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bolt: :bolt: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :woohoo: :woohoo: :yippee: :yippee: :banana: :banana: :banana:

pieross
08-18-2004, 05:42 PM
Mardy ddddddddddddddddddddddddid sooooooooooooooooooooo welllllllllllllllll tooooooday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GO MARDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aleksa's Laydee
08-18-2004, 05:45 PM
next up.... Youzny

Jennay
08-18-2004, 06:11 PM
I'm sorry I just HAVE to do this again.

MARDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:woohoo: :bowdown: :woohoo: :woohoo: :bowdown:
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :D :D :D
:worship: :worship: :bowdown: :cool: :cool:

I'm so happy hes getting back to form!!!!

08-18-2004, 09:26 PM
Good luck Mardy against Youzhny, you can get to the bronze medal play-off! - and why not further? Hey wouldn't it be funny if Mardy won a medal and Andy didn't?! ;) :D

Golfnduck
08-18-2004, 09:28 PM
:banana: :banana: WAY TO GO MARDY!!!! :banana: :banana: :worship:
KEEP IT GOIN!!!!

Jennay
08-18-2004, 10:43 PM
ATHENS, 18 August - Comments from Mardy FISH (USA) after his 6‑3, 4‑6, 6‑1 win over Max MIRNYI (BLR) in the third round of the Men's Singles Tennis tournament.

Q. A game in the final set, you were up 40‑15 serving. That game went to deuce how many times?

MARDY FISH: The one he was serving me?

Q. Yes.

MARDY FISH: That was a tight game. I mean, I just kept telling myself, "Just keep working hard." You know, he's a tough player. He's a tough player in that he makes you take advantage of your opportunities when you have them, and if you don't, he can make you pay. And I got a little lucky that game. I mean, I had some chances and missed a second‑serve return.

But most of all, you know, I just stayed with it that game and was lucky enough to get a break, get the momentum on my side, and really started playing well after that.

Q. Having lost the second set, you could easily have lost the match. Is it incredibly satisfying to have been able to pick up in the final set and play the way you did?

MARDY FISH: It is. Every win, especially in the Olympics, is even more special than any of the other tournaments. You know, my goal is to win a medal. I came here hoping to win a medal. You know, I'm a couple matches away from that. I'm definitely excited and definitely happy with the way I'm playing, the way I'm serving. Hopefully I can keep it going tomorrow.

Q. This has pretty big implications for you. The win yesterday, today. This is the kind of thing that can turn things around for you.

MARDY FISH: Yeah, definitely. I didn't have the summer I would have liked to my expectations at all. I was a little bummed out there, you know, not having been able to play Toronto and having to pull out of Cincy with a hurt back.

Now that I'm a hundred percent, feeling really good, starting to feel really, really confident in my game and in my serve ‑ with me it all starts with the serve. If I'm serving well, I can put pressure on a lot of guys.

Q. Your backhand in the last set.

MARDY FISH: My backhand is, you know, the thing that holds my game up the most. You know, when I'm not playing well, I always have my backhand to kind of back me up. Unfortunately, it's not a huge forehand like Federer has or Roddick has, but it's definitely been there my whole life, and it's been a great, solid shot for me.

Q. I haven't looked ahead to see who you play.

MARDY FISH: Youzhny. I played him one time in Australia in 2002, I think. You know, obviously he seems to be playing well, beating Kiefer today. I don't know what the score was.

You know, I mean, he's a dangerous player. Very, very solid off both sides. Good backhand. I'm definitely going to have to, you know, serve well and take advantage of my chances like today.

Q. Do you have any family here?

MARDY FISH: No, nobody came over just because it was tough, you know, to get tickets, all that stuff.

Q. Girlfriend, nothing?

MARDY FISH: No. She didn't come.

Q. Totally solo?

MARDY FISH: Yup. Not even my coach.

Q. Who is your coach?

MARDY FISH: Kelly Jones.

Q. Can you talk about the American losses today.

MARDY FISH: Venus lost, I didn't know that. It's definitely tough because Andy's match finished right before I went out. It's tough to see a buddy like that, his dream, his goal was to win a gold medal. It's definitely a downer, him going down right before I went out there.

But I think he'll be okay. I definitely think he'll be okay. I definitely think he's going to take advantage of, you know, his trip here and being in the Olympic village tonight, tomorrow night, whatever.

Q. Can you tell us how you wound up in Saddle Brook.

MARDY FISH: For me, ideally Saddle Brook is the best place in the world, for me, in my opinion, to train. You know, they have the best trainer there in Pat Etcheberry. They have great practice guys ‑‑ great players to practice with like James Blake, Jeff Morrison, Alex Bogomolov. I know I'm forgetting some guys. You know, there's plenty of guys to hit with.

You know, there's two golf courses there, and I love playing golf. I mean, it's just perfect for me, in my opinion. I can't think of a better place to train than Saddle Brook.

Q. Your parents?

MARDY FISH: They're in Vero Beach. I was born in Minnesota.

Q. (Question regarding the Lightning.)

MARDY FISH: The Lightning is actually the only team I cheer for outside of the (inaudible) sports. I root for the Devil Rays.

Q. Did you go to the Stanley Cup game?

MARDY FISH: I had glass seats for every game except for 5 and 7 of the Finals because I had to go to Halle. If it were up to me, I think I would have stayed.

Q. How did you get those seats?

MARDY FISH: We have a couple connections there. Campbell.

Q. I heard that you were the best two‑year‑old.

MARDY FISH: My mom started feeding me tennis balls when I was really young. I guess the news in Minnesota didn't really have a piece to run that day. I think one of the anchors was hitting and saw me hit and wanted to put it on there. He just thought I was the No. 1 two‑year‑old in the world. I was actually three at the time. I just turned three.

Q. Did you ever allow yourself to think about this sort of thing?

MARDY FISH: It's tough because it's not really ‑‑ it's not like swimming or some of those other sports, track and field, you know, because we have 13 tournaments this year that are, points‑wise for us, bigger than this tournament.

But in my opinion this is the biggest tournament of the year for me. There's nothing like it, outside of Davis Cup. I mean, there's nothing like playing for your country. I, I'm sure a lot of other guys, personally go out there thinking, "I'm just not playing for myself this time," you know. And, you know, it's a normal tournament. It's not like Davis Cup where, you know, you can go out and root for your teammates, keep an eye on those couple matches we play that weekend. I mean, it's for yourself and it's for your country. If you're not playing anybody from the States, you root for them, as well.

But it's really tough to explain. Definitely feels like it's not a normal tournament.

Q. Sounds like you're in for the whole Olympic experience.

MARDY FISH: I love it. I love it. I got there the first day. I had wanted to stay there, regardless of how the conditions were there, I wanted to stay there the entire time. I was just hoping some of the other guys wanted to stay there with me. Luckily Andy wanted to stay there.

The first day we checked into the hotel. We got some clothes for a couple nights to stay, because we were going to stay for a couple nights, go to the hotel before our matches.

I got there the first night, walked around, ate in the village and stuff like that. I went back the next afternoon and got all my stuff and brought everything back over to the village. I mean, I enjoy it. I was hanging out with volleyball players, men's volleyball team, you know, watching volleyball. The Judo guys are teaching me all about how to score Judo. You know, the men's gymnastics guy got a silver medal. He brought it around to show everybody. It's just exciting to make new friends with world class athletes that are in better shape than I am.

Q. The US men's gymnastics team?

MARDY FISH: Yeah. One of the guys went to eat lunch with us today. He had his medal in his little pouch thing because he was going to show it to his dad. I got to put it around my neck. It was pretty heavy.

Q. Do you remember who it was?

MARDY FISH: It wasn't the brothers. It was the guy that has tattoos on his leg, like down on the bottom. He's really small.

Q. Blaine?

MARDY FISH: That's probably it.

Q. Short, stocky, chews tobacco?

MARDY FISH: Yeah, chews tobacco. Nice guy though, yeah. I mean, we were watching women's gymnastics last night. One of the American girls kind of had a little stumble in the normal routine. It was kind of weird where she kind of fell. They just went, "Oh, my God."

I mean, all the guys from every different sport are showing us. I don't know anything about volleyball, gymnastics, Judo. It's so much fun to learn.

Q. They were showing you and Andy the medals?

MARDY FISH: And our assistant coach. We have actually a pretty big place. It's nice. It's like a four‑bedroom place. We have my room, Andy's room, Dean's room, and the guest room I guess they call it. Venus came and stayed a couple times, Vince, the Bryan brothers. Everybody came once except for Taylor.

Q. Did you play anything else in high school?

MARDY FISH: I played everything. I still love golf. I still play golf all the time. I played basketball in high school with Andy. I played basketball till I was 16. I played a lot of sports.

Q. Is it starting to seem real to you, what you're doing?

MARDY FISH: I mean, I'm trying to take it as normal as a tournament as I can, saying, "I'm in the quarters of the tournament," then see how far I can go, and suffer the consequences if I win the tournament or lose the tournament or finish fourth or whatever. I want to win two more matches. My goal coming here was to win a medal.

Q. Two more will do that?

MARDY FISH: And it hasn't changed. Yes, two more will do that.

Q. Has it changed that all the American women are out?

MARDY FISH: All the American women are out?

Q. Except for Lisa and Martina. Andy went out. Does it change anything for you?

MARDY FISH: No. I mean, unless he comes back late and keeps me up, wakes me up. No, it doesn't. I mean, it's a bummer that your friends don't achieve their goals. I mean, I grew up with Andy. I know that he's doing what he loves to do. I mean, the guy, he loves tennis. It was his goal, his dream his whole life to win the US Open and be No. 1 in the world, and he's already achieved that. I'm just a friend who is extremely happy for another friend to achieve his goals. I know that one of his goals was to win a gold medal. I'm sure he's bummed out. But he said in there, in four years he'd try again.

Aleksa's Laydee
08-19-2004, 01:22 PM
cool :D

right: LETS GO MARDY TODAY LETS GO!!!!

Jennay
08-19-2004, 04:37 PM
:banana:

Jennay
08-19-2004, 06:18 PM
Mardy vs. Youzhny Update:

5-2 Mardy up a break in the first set :D

Allez Mardy, keep it up!!! :banana:

Thank you, Siobhan, for keeping us updated on MSN :kiss: :hug:

superpinkone37
08-19-2004, 06:20 PM
go mardy!!! :banana: :banana:

Jennay
08-19-2004, 06:28 PM
Mardy won the first set 6-3 vs. Youzhny!

Come on Mardy! :banana: :woohoo:

superpinkone37
08-19-2004, 07:01 PM
6-3, 3-3 come on mardy!!!!
GO USA!!! :woohoo:

Jennay
08-19-2004, 07:20 PM
6-3 6-4 Mardy!!!!!! :banana: :woohoo:

And once again....

MARDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:woohoo: :woohoo: :banana: :woohoo: :banana:
:worship: :bowdown: :bowdown: :worship:
:D :D :) ;) :cool: :cool: :woohoo:

pieross
08-19-2004, 07:22 PM
well done Mardy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aleksa's Laydee
08-19-2004, 07:24 PM
Thank you, Siobhan, for keeping us updated on MSN :kiss: :hug:
your welcome :wavey: :D

Aleksa's Laydee
08-19-2004, 07:26 PM
MARDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bounce: :bounce: :hearts: :hearts: :kiss: :kiss: :drool: :drool: :woohoo: :woohoo: :yippee: :yippee:

lfty
08-19-2004, 07:35 PM
:dance: Go Mardy! :yippee: He did it! :woohoo: This should really help Mardy’s confidence and he says he’s 100% physically so I think he could actually win this thing! :D This is really gonna piss off the GMers. :lol:

superpinkone37
08-19-2004, 07:38 PM
yay mardy!!!! im so happy he is doing so well!!! :woohoo:
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Jennay
08-19-2004, 07:39 PM
This is really gonna piss off the GMers. :lol:
Good :devil: :lol:

KCVH
08-19-2004, 07:46 PM
Good news another 3 setter for Gonzo in tonights doubles. Really think he'll be running out of steam for tomorrows match. Think we'll have an all american final.

melissa7
08-19-2004, 08:02 PM
:bounce::bounce:GO MARDY!!:bounce::bounce:

Aleksa's Laydee
08-19-2004, 08:43 PM
YES!!! thanks croats for taking them to 3 :D

Aleksa's Laydee
08-19-2004, 08:46 PM
http://editorial.****************/source/CFW/details_Pop.aspx?iid=51192570&cdi=0

:drool: :drool: :drool:

snaillyyy
08-19-2004, 10:05 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!
MARDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:woohoo: :yippee: :woohoo: :banana: :rocker: :rocker2: :banana:

Siobhan thanks for giving the play by play :rocker:

Mani, Jen and Renata thanks for the updates...you girls were great! :kiss: :hug: :kiss: :hug: :kiss: :hug:

Jennay
08-19-2004, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the pics, Siobhan. :drool: :hearts: :drool:

I love it when Mardy is smiling and happy.

The photographers take a lot of pics of his BH. It is such a gorgeous shot. :D

Deboogle!.
08-19-2004, 10:48 PM
more pics :)

GO MARDY BEAT GONZO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deboogle!.
08-19-2004, 11:58 PM
Here's Mardy's press conference today
---

THE MODERATOR: First question for Mardy, please.

Q. How do you feel?
MARDY FISH: I feel great. I feel I was a little nervous there in the end, as you could probably see and tell. But it didn't occur to me that he would have been nervous as well, and he obviously was.
You know, and he had - he definitely had his chances there in the end, and luckily I pulled through. I'm excited. You know, I want to win the gold. I'm two more matches away. Fernando Gonzalez is standing in the way of a medal, a guaranteed medal, and I'm really excited.

Q. Two hard-fought matches before this. Was that any concern? Those were long, grueling matches.
MARDY FISH: Not at all. I'm in the best shape I've ever been. I'm moving great on the court. I'm feeling very confident. So, I mean, it wasn't - you know, we have good trainers working for the US, for the US team, period, the Olympic team. They have a bunch of trainers back in the village luckily to take care of us.
I saw the chiropractor yesterday just to make sure my back was okay and got a little massage. I'll do the same tonight and I'll be fine for tomorrow, for sure.

Q. Looks like you're - looks like your game is getting better and you're getting more confidence every set, every point almost. Can you talk about how your game seems to be coming together this far from home?
MARDY FISH: Yeah, well, I don't think it has anything to do with far from home. I've said all along, it all starts with me with my serve. And, you know, if I can hold serve, and I've been - you know, one of the big things this week is I've been returning really well. You know, I returned great yesterday against a really big server and broke him, you know, I think maybe four or five times. And that's - you know, that's good to break somebody with that good of a serve-and-volley game, you know, four times. That gave me a lot of confidence today.
I mean, today, his serve out there today compared to yesterday was looking like a beach ball for me.

Q. Have you played Gonzalez?
MARDY FISH: No, I've never played him before but I, you know - we're the same age. He might be a year older than me. I've watched him play Juniors all through, watched him play Andy a couple - yesterday.
So, I mean, I'm excited, you know. I'm definitely - I definitely think I have the game to beat him on this type of surface. I mean, it's a fast hard court. You know, I'm gonna go out there and try to, you know, attack and play my style of tennis against his, you know, kind of clay courter/baseline-type game, which, I mean, obviously he's playing well. So you can't beat Grosjean and Roddick, and look how he's doing in doubles. Yesterday he had the day of his life. He beat Andy Roddick and then he beat the Bryan brothers in doubles. Can't get any better than that.

Q. Now things are getting kind of serious. Does the medal look more real as you get closer?
MARDY FISH: It definitely does. It's right there in front of me. I keep saying to myself, you know, "This is your time ? hopefully." I'm trying to bluff myself through it and say, "This is your time."
You know, I've had some bad luck this summer with some injuries and this year and, you know, maybe - I've lost some close tiebreakers a lot in a row, and, you know, I've won a few this week. And maybe, you know, I was thinking to myself that maybe everything is gonna - all the downs are gonna ball up into one big good, and hopefully this is it.

Q. Can you talk about some of the frustrations you obviously had with the umpire tonight.
MARDY FISH: Oh, well, the umpire, Molina, is a very, very good umpire. He calls them - he calls them like he sees them. My only concern was the... Let's see. Why was I acting like a baby (smiling)?
I don't know. It's tough. I mean, it's Olympics, you know. I tell him - every argument that I've had with every ref this week, which is probably every match, I said, "This is not a normal tournament. This is the Olympics and I'm not going to treat it like a normal tournament so you better make the right calls, and I'm gonna try and play, do my best, you try to do your best."
You know, I understand it's part of the game, and I'm starting to realize that more and more, and I'm hopefully getting better and better at it. I mean, I do think he's one of the best umpires out there.

Q. I think you lost eight straight points. A couple of those were questionable calls. Is that a time that before you would have come unglued?
MARDY FISH: Possibly. Possibly. I wasn't aware of the eight points, luckily. But it - yeah, I mean, a couple years ago I probably would have come undone there and, you know, luckily I got it back and played a couple good games. I think I broke him maybe the next game, you know, maybe the next couple games, three games later, something like that.
Yeah, I'm definitely getting better. I hope that I'll get even better at it. I mean, it's tough because it's the Olympics. It's just I'm competitive. Gimme a break (smiling).

Q. Where do you rate your next match?
MARDY FISH: This is the biggest of my life. I've said this match today was the biggest of my life. I've said - yeah, I mean, I definitely said that the match today - I remember like thinking that to myself this morning riding over in the bus, "This is definitely the biggest match of my career. These are all the biggest matches of my career." Hopefully I'll have two more. I will have two more. You have to play third and fourth, right?
These next two matches are the biggest matches of my life, to answer your question (laughing).

Q. You're not overlooked but you're overshadowed by Andy. You said yourself he is like a celebrity among celebrities in the Olympic village. Can you talk about what it means on this big stage that you're the one who's still here, this may be your week, like you said? Is that possible to keep that out of your mind? Can it make you more nervous, more determined?
MARDY FISH: I don't really - to be honest, I don't really think anything about it. I mean, I would love to be playing Andy tomorrow, yeah. That would be really, really cool. We kind of looked, and it's tough not to look and see what side Andy's on, and I'm sure he does the same thing to see what side I'm on. I definitely saw that I was on his side.
You know, I mean, I kind of was dreaming about, you know, making the semifinals of this tournament, then playing Andy. I mean, who would have thought that he would have lost to Gonzalez, you know, on a fast - on a court that favors him. You know, Taylor is still in, too. It's kind of like a Davis Cup type format now.

Q. When that happens, when Andy does lose, do you feel like, "Okay, this is a moment I really have to take advantage of"?
MARDY FISH: Yeah, I mean, it's tough not to think about - I mean, if Federer loses or Andy Roddick loses in the same week, it's a wide?open tournament. There are a lot of unbelievable players, but those guys are kind of - especially on this type of surface. I mean, if it's a different type of surface, if it's clay, then there's a lot of good players. This type of surface, those guys lose, and this tournament's wide open. Look at the draw now, it's wide open. Anybody can win it.
It's going to be any four of the guys that are left, if you would have said at the beginning of the tournament they would have won the gold medal, you would have been slapped ? by me (smiling).

Q. Tennis is a individual sport, but you played a lot of team sports growing up. Do you think sort of the atmosphere of playing for your country, your team sort of brings out your best tennis?
MARDY FISH: Possibly. You know, but I'm starting to realize more and more that it's just not about me in these types of situations, especially, I mean, this type of situation and Davis Cup. It's not just about myself. It's about this one. It's about your country, and winning a medal and putting another number in the medal count. I think that would be really cool, you know, trying to get ahead of China, I think is right on our tail.
You know, I mean, that was the goal kind of coming in, I think, was just to add to the - you know, add to the tally of medals that all these unbelievable athletes have gotten for the United States. Yeah, I mean...

Q. Do you go back at night and check the info system and see what the medal tally is?
MARDY FISH: I do. But when you sign on to the computers, it pops up right there, like on the home page. You can always see it.

Q. Kelly here with you?
MARDY FISH: No, no.

Q. What's that like here, coming out here?
MARDY FISH: I've kept in touch with Kelly. I've talked to him every day about every match that I've had. It's not easy not having your coach here. Definitely you get into a routine week in, week out. Kelly does an unbelievable job, in my opinion, that he takes care of everything. I don't need to worry about anything except for playing.
And, you know, I wish that he's here, but, you know, unfortunately, with like the security and the, you know, the badges are pretty tight to get here. So it wasn't ideal for him to come.
But, you know, I have Patrick, who has, you know, seen me play quite a few times and knows my game, you know, very well. And has a lot of insight to what he thinks I should be doing. It just so happens that it's the same type of stuff that Kelly thinks as well, so that helps.

Q. Tommy Haas had talked earlier, when he was talking about the Olympics, that he went into 2000 and he felt like his game was so?so. Then he got to Sydney and he felt like he was just transformed. He got kind of caught up in everything. He felt like it took his game to another level. Is that what's happening with you? Did you feel like your game coming in was at a high level?
MARDY FISH: Well, it's tough to - it's tough to say that I felt like I was playing really well. I mean, I hadn't had any good tournaments. So I'd be lying to you if I said I was playing great tennis coming into this tournament.
I mean, I felt like I was capable of playing good tennis. I felt 100% physically. You know, I mean, I go back in the village, into the lounge, I see all these athletes that, you know, don't make any money doing their sport, and they're better than I am. And, you know, I'm just - we're so spoiled getting - you know, getting paid what we get paid to, you know, play this game.
You know, I go back there and I sit down and I see the guy who - I think it was Paul Hamm, who won the gold medal, and, you know, he's just a normal guy there. You know, he's probably a national hero when he goes back home. But over here, he's just another guy with another medal. And, you know, kind of like a teammate type, you know. And everybody's so friendly. It's so much fun. I can't really describe it.

Q. Can you talk about adding to the medal count. Is that the fact that you and Taylor...
MARDY FISH: We're guaranteed one medal, yeah.

Q. Does that play on your mind at all? Does it enter your thoughts?
MARDY FISH: What's that?

Q. The fact that you basically are carrying the hopes for US tennis.
MARDY FISH: No, I mean, we're winning plenty medals elsewhere. It's nice to be able to add to, you know, the medals. I'd like to add myself, but unfortunately that's not the case yet. Hopefully.
But, you know, we're definitely guaranteed one medal. I mean, it's not really a competition, though. That's the thing with everybody over there. Everybody's rooting for everybody. You should see it when we go back and we turn on, like, women's volley ball and everybody's crowded around the couches and TVs just cheering and yelling like for every point. It's Judo guys and track and field guys and everybody, whether they know volley ball or not. I don't know anything about volley ball. I think women's volley ball is so, so exciting. I'm gonna try to go when I'm done.

Q. Do people bring their medals in, like if you're in the lounges?
MARDY FISH: Yeah, Blaine Wilson had his medal. He actually - Andy and him went to the softball game today, the women's softball game. He had his medal in his pouch thing. I put it around my neck. It was pretty heavy. Actually, it was really heavy. But, yeah, and then another one of the gymnasts brought his down and showed us all. Everybody's so humble and so nice. It's really amazing.

Q. One of your closest friends, Andy, won obviously the Open. Now you're looking at these guys who have won gold, silver, bronze, what whets your appetite more: The US Open or the gold medal?
MARDY FISH: That's a very, very good question. I mean, obviously, ranking?wise it would be better to win the US Open. You know, people have asked me, "What would you rather do, win the gold medal or win a Grand Slam?" I've always said I think it would be really cool to stand on the podium with a gold medal around your neck, playing the National Anthem, with one of those stupid?looking ring things around your head. Just kidding. I'm just kidding (smiling).

superpinkone37
08-20-2004, 07:11 AM
i was looking for that interview cuz i wanted to read the whole thing and i was looking for it and then i thought i would check on here, and of course u always have everything i need deb lol. what would i do without you and MTF....lol :)

Aleksa's Laydee
08-20-2004, 10:29 AM
more pics :)

GO MARDY BEAT GONZO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yummy thanks deb :wavey: :D

Jennay
08-20-2004, 04:13 PM
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MARDY WON 3-6 6-3 6-4!!!!!!
ONTO THE FINALS!!!!!!!
GO MARDY!!!!!!!!!!

pieross
08-20-2004, 04:16 PM
MARDY!!!!!!!!!!!!
welllllll done!!!!!!
you can win the gold medal!!

Aleksa's Laydee
08-20-2004, 04:18 PM
MARDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MARDY!!!!!!!!!!!

MARDY!!!!!!!!

MARDY!!!!!!!!!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bolt: :bolt: :bolt: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Jennay
08-20-2004, 04:20 PM
MARDY FISH FOR GOLD!!
:banana: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :banana:
:worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown:
:D :D :) :) :D ;) :cool:

:banana: :banana: :banana:

lfty
08-20-2004, 04:24 PM
Wow!! This is sooo cool! A week ago I never would have expected Mardy to be in the Olympic final. :bigclap: And Andy looked so happy for Mardy…I wanted to cry. :hug:

tangerine_dream
08-20-2004, 04:35 PM
Wow wow and WOW! :eek: I am just stunned! Where did Mardy find his form all of a sudden?? This is awesome!!!!!! He is now at least guaranteed a silver medal. That just floors me! WTG MARDY!!!!!!!! :banana:

Oh, THANK GOD meathead Gonzo is finally out. If there's one player's game I hate watching (and listening to), it's Gonzo's. He is the most brainless power hitter I've ever seen. Yikes. :scared:

Anways, one meathead down, one more to go. Please please PLEASE Mardy, take out the dreadful Massu!!! Save us!!!!!! :lol:

I'm so happy for Mardy. :D If he actually wins gold, this will be the breakout win he's been needing for a while. What an awesome way to go into USO. :yeah:

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR FINAL, MARDY!!!! :bounce:

andyroxmysox12191
08-20-2004, 04:59 PM
MARDY! :woohoo: :banana: i saw the first set online and he lost it so i thought "uh oh" but what do ya know.....i get out of the shower a long time later ( :lol: ) and i walk into my brothers room and mardy is being interviewed and he looks happy as ever :D comon mardy bring home the gold :banana: and nice job getting revenge on gonzo :devil:
let's go mardy!!!! :woohoo: make us prouder than we are now :hearts:

andyroxmysox12191
08-20-2004, 05:13 PM
hmmmm i thought maybe we need some articles from today :D

Mardy Fish to Play for Tennis Gold

By HOWARD FENDRICH
The Associated Press
Friday, August 20, 2004; 12:39 PM

ATHENS, Greece - Mardy Fish owns one career tennis title. A second, now just a victory away, would come with a gold medal. Fish, an unseeded American, beat No. 16 Fernando Gonzalez of Chile 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 on Friday in the Olympic semifinals. Gonzalez had pulled off a third-round upset of Fish's teammate and buddy, Andy Roddick, who was in the stands rooting. In Sunday's final, Fish will play No. 10 Nicolas Massu, who defeated Taylor Dent 7-6 (5), 6-1 in another U.S. vs. Chile match.

It's by far the best showing by Fish or Massu at any big tournament: Neither has ever been past the third round at a Grand Slam. Massu's four career titles have all come on clay, while Fish's lone triumph came at Stockholm last year.

That makes for a fitting finish to an Olympic tournament in which No. 1 Roger Federer, No. 2 Roddick, and No. 4 Tim Henman were all eliminated by the third round.

Chile's total tennis medal count before the Athens Games was zero. The nation is assured of at least two now, because Massu and Gonzalez reached Saturday's doubles final against Nicolas Kiefer and Rainer Schuettler of Germany.

Fish and Dent, meanwhile, were the U.S. tennis team's last chances for a medal.

And it's the first time no U.S. woman will leave an Olympic tennis tournament with a prize. The women's singles semifinals later Friday were No. 1 Justine Henin-Hardenne of Belgium vs. No. 3 Anastasia Myskina of Russia, and No. 2 Amelie Mauresmo of France vs. Alicia Molik of Australia.

Fish looked lost midway through the first set, dropping four straight games and showing his frustration by smashing his racket to the court or using it to bonk himself on the head or knee.

But on the first point at 2-2 in the second set, Gonzalez turned his right ankle while chasing a ball. He needed a medical timeout while a trainer wrapped the injury.

Fish finally gained control in the ninth game, breaking Gonzalez for a 5-4 lead. The American, who's ranked 22nd, then served it out. After the last point, he sank to his knees and bowed on court, then rose and flashed a thumb's up in Roddick's direction.

Massu and Dent looked like teammates up at the net for the prematch coin toss, both wearing red shirts and dark shorts with white racing stripes. The only thing to distinguish Massu was his white baseball cap and long ponytail.

Little separated them at the start of play, either.

There were no breaks of serve in the first set, and Massu took the tiebreaker by finally getting the measure on his passing shots.

The Chilean converted his second set point with a fantastic return at Dent's feet, drawing an awkward volley that sailed long.

Massu then rolled through the second set, opening a 5-0 lead.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chile's Massu beats Dent to reach gold medal match in Olympics

HOWARD FENDRICH
Canadian Press

Friday, August 20, 2004

ATHENS (AP) - Nicolas Massu beat American Taylor Dent 7-6 (5), 6-1 Friday in the men's tennis semifinals to move within one victory of giving Chile its first Olympic gold medal in any sport.

In the other semifinal, unseeded American Mardy Fish beat another Chilean, No. 16 Fernando Gonzalez, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. Gonzalez had pulled off a third-round upset of Fish's teammate and buddy, Andy Roddick, who was in the stands rooting.

Fish and Massu will meet Sunday in the gold medal match.

It's by far the best showing by Fish or Massu at any big tournament: Neither has ever been past the third round at a Grand Slam. Massu's four career titles have all come on clay, while Fish's lone triumph came at Stockholm last year.

That makes for a fitting finish to an Olympic tournament in which No. 1 Roger Federer, No. 2 Roddick, and No. 4 Tim Henman were all eliminated by the third round.

Chile's total tennis medal count before the Athens Games was zero. The country is assured of at least two now, because Massu and Gonzalez reached Saturday's doubles final against Nicolas Kiefer and Rainer Schuettler of Germany.

Fish and Dent, meanwhile, were the U.S. tennis team's last chances for a medal. Dent eliminated Canadian Frederic Niemeyer earlier in the competition.

Massu and Dent looked like teammates up at the net for the prematch coin toss, both wearing red shirts and dark shorts with white racing stripes. The only thing to distinguish Massu was his white baseball cap and long ponytail.

Little separated them at the start of play, either.

There were no breaks of serve in the first set, and Massu took the tiebreaker by finally getting the measure on his passing shots.

The Chilean converted his second set point with a fantastic return at Dent's feet, drawing an awkward volley that sailed long.

Massu then rolled through the second set, opening a 5-0 lead. When the match ended, he dropped his racket, took off his cap, and fell face down on the court

Fish looked lost midway through the first set, dropping four straight games and showing his frustration by smashing his racket to the court or using it to bonk himself on the head or knee.

But on the first point at 2-2 in the second set, Gonzalez turned his right ankle while chasing a ball. He needed a medical timeout while a trainer wrapped the injury.

Fish finally gained control in the ninth game, breaking Gonzalez for a 5-4 lead. The American, who's ranked 22nd, then served it out. After the last point, he sank to his knees and bowed on court, then rose and flashed a thumb's up in Roddick's direction. :hearts:

tangerine_dream
08-20-2004, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the article, Rox! :wavey:

Check out these pictures. I've never seen Mardy so pumped and excited before. :D

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040820/capt.olyten30208201700.greece_olympics_tennis_olyt en302.jpg
USA's Mardy Fish (news) drops to the ground after beating Chile's Fernando Gonzalez (news) in the 2004 Olympic Games (news - web sites) Men's tennis semi final match at the tennis complex in Athens Friday Aug 20, 2004. Fish won 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040820/capt.olyten30208201651.greece_olympics_tennis_olyt en302.jpg
America's Mardy Fish (news) celebrates after beating Chile's Fernando Gonzalez (news) in the semi-final Olympic 2004 games match at the tennis complex in Athens Friday Aug 20, 2004. Fish won 3-6 6-3 6-4 guaranteeing him a gold or silver medal for mens singles.

Jennay
08-20-2004, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the articles Mani :hug:

Oh Tangy he looks so excited and happy. I love it :hearts:

andyroxmysox12191
08-20-2004, 05:35 PM
:hearts: i love you tangy :worship: lol

superpinkone37
08-20-2004, 05:40 PM
awwww thanks tangy for the pictures, and mani for the articles!!! im so proud of mardy!!! i really wish i would have seen it now. was it on USA this morning, for anyone who watched it? someone told me that they were showing taylor not mardy today so i didnt bother getting up early...so did anyone actually watch it on tv? lol. im so happy for mardy and he looks so so happy in those pictures, awwwww!!!!!

:banana::banana::banana: CONGRATULATIONS MARDY!!!! :banana::banana::banana:

snaillyyy
08-20-2004, 05:45 PM
OMG this is amazing!!!!!!! I am so damn happy LOL!!!!!

GO MARDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tangy great pics :worship: , it is so nice to see him with that smile again, seems to have been missing for awhile

Mani...great articles thanks a bunch ;) :worship:

lfty
08-20-2004, 05:54 PM
They only showed the last two games on USA so you didn’t miss much of the match. But during the interview Mardy was so happy I couldn’t help but smile and Andy was so excited you’d have thought he just won. It was great :inlove:

Aleksa's Laydee
08-20-2004, 05:58 PM
aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwww MARDY :hug: i wanted to cry seeing those pics :D

Aleksa's Laydee
08-20-2004, 06:06 PM
some more YUM pics

:hearts: :drool: :D

tangerine_dream
08-20-2004, 06:06 PM
More awesome pictures! I LOVE his reaction! :hearts: I hope Getty puts up a pic of Andy's reaction, too. I heard he was near tears when Mardy won. Aww. :hug:

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040820/i/r1887343868.jpg
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040820/capt.olyten30808201731.greece_olympics_tennis_olyt en308.jpg
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040820/i/r3834272270.jpg
Mardy Fish (news) of the U.S. reacts to his win over Chile's Fernando Gonzalez (news) in the tennis competition at the Athens 2004 Olympic Games (news - web sites) August 20, 2004. Fish won with a final score of 3-6 6-3 6-4 to advance to the finals. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040820/capt.olyten31108201732.greece_olympics_tennis_olyt en311.jpg
USA's Mardy Fish (news) makes an expression during his semifinal match against Chile's Fernando Gonzalez (news) at the 2004 Summer Olympic in Athens Friday Aug. 20, 2004. Fish won 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. (AP Photo/Adam Butler)

Golfnduck
08-20-2004, 06:19 PM
GO MARDY!!!! WIN THE GOLD!!!! Mardy really deserves this medal. I'm hoping that Andy stays for the match.

andyroxmysox12191
08-20-2004, 06:26 PM
:hearts: omg i love you guys :kiss: thank you so much for the pics :kiss:

Aleksa's Laydee
08-20-2004, 06:30 PM
How cute is he!! i wanna post pics of him with that gold medal around his neck

snaillyyy
08-20-2004, 06:33 PM
These pics are just great everyone :rocker2: :rocker2:

KCVH
08-20-2004, 09:09 PM
Well done to reach the final. Thought F. Gonzales was dead and buried from yesterdays 3 setters. No he wasn't. Surprised what some players managed at this Olympics. Hitting a few aces, winners becoming excellent returners this all of sudden. :o
Good luck in the final Mardy.

Deboogle!.
08-20-2004, 11:40 PM
TENNIS: Mardy Fish Quotes

by Randy Walker - U.S. Tennis Association (914-696-7289)

M. FISH/F. Gonzalez

3?6, 6?3, 6?4

An interview with:

MARDY FISH

THE MODERATOR: First question, please.

Q. Can you just describe your emotions?
MARDY FISH: No, not at all. I mean, I'm just extremely excited. You know, the guy tried to get an interview right after the match, and I'm sure it's the worst interview he's ever gotten. I honestly didn't know what to say.
You know, I mean, I came into this tournament with a goal of trying to win a medal and, you know, realistically I hadn't won very many matches this summer. And I'm just ?? you know, I'm just so excited that I can, you know, have a chance to play for the gold. And I'm guaranteed the silver. Where do I sign up, you know?

Q. As you said yesterday, today was the biggest match of your career. What did you say to yourself before you walked out there to serve for the match?
MARDY FISH: Honestly, you know, I talked to Andy before the match. "What's the most nervous you have ever been?" I mean, he's played in huge matches: Wimbledon final, won the US Open, served out the US Open. He said, you know, he's had a couple nerve?wracking times. But I said, "Were you nervous when you served out the US Open final?"
And he said, "Honestly, no. I don't even remember what happened that entire day." He's like, "Everything was like in a blur, I was in like a daze."
I honestly felt like that. You know, I mean, you know, I was trying to tell myself, "Keep the toss high and make first serves." I don't know, I mean, I felt like he was getting a little tired. I mean, he's played a lot of tennis this week. I mean, the guy's had an unbelievable week. Semis of singles, could win the doubles easily. Not easily, but win in doubles.
I just, you know ?? I don't know. I mean, Andy actually came off the court and said he told Patrick that he said I wouldn't hit a groundstroke the entire game. It was a pretty good call.

Q. Do you think that Gonzalez's ankle thing played any part in the outcome?
MARDY FISH: I can't tell you. I mean, you're going to have to obviously ask him that. You know, I felt like he was moving fine. I honestly was not thinking about it one bit. I felt like even if it was bothering him, I couldn't ?? I mean, I can't think about those things. If I start thinking about that, then I start thinking about winning, and that's the wrong thing to think about.

Q. You made a comment when you were serving for the match, how you felt. What about during the match? Were there moments you were getting butterflies in your stomach?
MARDY FISH: Third set, beginning of the third set, you know, realizing that I'm only a set away, realizing that, you know, if I can get one break, you know, I'm that much closer. I got one break there early, you know, he broke me right back. You know, gave him a couple of gifts in a couple of the games. Luckily got out of them.
Yeah, I mean, I definitely started getting nervous in the third set, to answer your question.

Q. In the first set you struggled with your serve, yet you closed it out with two aces, two service winners. What adjustments did you make?
MARDY FISH: Like I said, I think I told myself just to keep the toss higher. I felt like in the second set and first set even, the toss was too low. You know, keep it higher and just go after it. I mean, you know, I kind of ?? I can't ?? you know, I can't play tentative going for ?? you know, trying to get into the finals.
Yeah, I mean, that was pretty much it. And I wasn't really trying to put too many words into my head as possible. Just little things to try to think about.

Q. Have you been in touch with your folks back in Florida? You've won some tough matches here. Is there something happening to you here in your development as a tennis player?
MARDY FISH: Yeah, I talked to my dad. He calls me every day. I talk to my parents all the time, and my sister.
And the other thing, I mean, you know, I've had some really like tough, close matches this summer and lost a lot of tiebreakers, like I've said in a couple previous press conferences. And I've just been on the bad luck end of a lot of ?? you know, a lot of matches this summer.
I felt like, you know, hopefully everything would like ball up into one, all the bads would ball up into one big good. You know, hopefully it would be at a big tournament like the US Open or the Olympics.
You know, this is the good, I guess.

Q. There's a school of thought that says tennis shouldn't be in the Olympics. You guys have so many other big events. Do you feel Olympian right now?
MARDY FISH: Sure, yeah. I mean, I think it's better to stay in the village, you know, be hanging out with all the world class athletes, you know, that are doing all their sports. And, yeah, I mean, I feel ?? I feel like part of a team over there. You know, in the village, I don't know if you know, but all the countries are together. You know, I feel like everybody feels like they're part of a team, Team USA.
You know, so, yeah, to answer your question, I feel definitely like an Olympian.

Q. Have you watched any of the other medal ceremonies? Can you actually picture yourself on the podium?
MARDY FISH: I have watched quite a few of them, you know, kind of dreaming to hopefully get on the podium one time. You know, people have asked me, "What would you rather do, win a Grand Slam or win the gold medal?" I've always said that I think it would be pretty cool standing on the podium with a gold medal around your neck, having them play the national anthem. I mean, that would probably be the ultimate for me.
You know, realistically, three sets away. It's that close. You know, these past few matches have been the biggest matches of my entire life. You know, not to denote any of the other matches. I've played some really big matches, Davis Cup matches, you know, for the team, for the States. I mean, this is definitely even better.

Q. Obviously, you want the gold. Having guaranteed the hardware, will there be actually less pressure in the next match than there was in this one?
MARDY FISH: Maybe, yeah. I really honestly ?? I didn't expect to be here, so I don't have anything to lose. I'm sure Nicolas would say the exact same thing. And I can guarantee you that he's going to give it his all, and I can guarantee I'm going to give it my all until the last point.
It's tough to say that I'll be bummed out with a silver medal. I mean, yeah, there is less pressure on both of us, I think. And I'm sure we'll be nervous going out there in the beginning. I'm sure whoever pulls it out in the end will be nervous, you know.
But at the end of the day, I think I can settle for a silver medal, but I definitely want the gold (smiling).

Q. First of all, it's been a tough summer for you, talking about losing a lot of close matches. You played a match in Cincinnati before coming here. You had a chance against Agassi to win that match. You hurt yourself. Did that match give you some positive energy coming into this tournament?
MARDY FISH: Definitely. I think so. You know, just to be able to play ?? you know, I was about 80% with my back. You know, I felt like I could run around, hit groundstrokes fine, a hundred percent, but my serve, it was bothering me on my serve, and I had to take a lot of pace off, and I had to really try to pitch a really good game against him.
I totally lost my train of thought (smiling).
Yeah, I got a lot of confidence out of that, just knowing that I could stick with someone like that. You know, I hadn't practiced at all for about 10 days before that match, and I practiced the day before, and that's it, you know. To go three sets and to lose a tiebreaker, which I've lost quite a few tiebreakers this summer, you know, that close to winning the match against Agassi, and then he goes on to win the tournament, that gave me confidence there. And it gives me confidence knowing he can go on and win the tournament, and I could have easily beat him in the first round.
So, yeah, to answer your question, it definitely gave me a little something, you know, to push for. And I felt like I could play good tennis these next couple tournaments. You know, I was hoping it was going to be one of these two, the US Open or the Olympics. And I'm glad it's this one.

Q. Picked a good one.
MARDY FISH: Yeah.

Q. Can the momentum be built here? Can it carry over into New York?
MARDY FISH: I mean, it can only help. It doesn't hurt to make the finals, you know, or to lose in the finals or to win a tournament going into a big tournament. You know, I've got another week off after this week, and then I'm going to get ready to play. I'm going to go straight to New York and get ready. Andy and I are going to do the same. We're probably going to practice with each other a lot there.
And, yeah, I mean, I'm going to rest a lot, obviously, you know, then get my mind ready and get into the swing of things in New York. I've never actually gone to The Open this early. I've always gone on like Friday and Saturday. So I'm going to try something new this year and go early and try to get acquainted and try to get in there before and get everything organized.

Q. You mentioned that you were enjoying life in the village, being part of a team. What type of support have you gotten from the other athletes?
MARDY FISH: I mean, everybody's so nice, it's unbelievable. I mean, everybody's ?? you know, you go in there and, you know, a lot of people ?? there's TVs with every sport on all the channels in there, down in the lounge. You know, TVs in some of the rooms and stuff. Everybody watches. You know, there's really nothing else on TV to watch but the sports and the events. You know, if there's an American on, everybody will always be watching. You know, we'll go down to the lounge, you know, and people will know that I won or people will ask.
I've already made so many friends down there. Andy and I have already made so many friends. We go down there, they ask if we've won, and they're as excited as we are. The men's volleyball team, went down there last night, trying to console them a little bit. Everybody's just so unbelievably nice and so humble.

Q. Is it what you thought it would be?
MARDY FISH: I mean, it's tough to say. I mean, I assumed ?? actually, I don't know. I don't know. I mean, I didn't really know what to think, to be honest with you. I didn't know how the sleeping arrangements were going to be, you know, I didn't know if we had to sleep with, you know, some of the other like athletes in our rooms. And, you know, it's nice ?? you know, we have a big place, Andy and I and assistant coach Dean Goldfine. Three of us in a four?bedroom place.

Q. Could you hear Andy in the stands at all?
MARDY FISH: Oh, yeah, I could hear him.

Q. What was he saying?
MARDY FISH: He was saying, "Don't choke." No, he wasn't.
You know, he was all positive things. I mean, the kid, he's younger than me, but he has been through a lot of experiences in tennis. You know, he hasn't been through, you know, the Olympics or anything like that, but he's been through big matches like, you know, Wimbledon finals and US Open finals, big, big Davis Cup matches. You know, he's got a lot of input.
I try to pick his brain as much as I can.

Q. Any particular advice he gave you?
MARDY FISH: He said at the last game, he said, "Go big," which is kind of something that I was trying to do the entire match, you know, trying to take away time from him. You know, because when the guy's got time, he's deadly. When he can get his swings around and really torque into the ball like he does, on clay courts when he has time, he's dangerous.
So, you know, he just said, "Go big." You know, it's tough. Little things. Some of the things go in one ear and out the other, but some of the things stay in there.

Q. Before the match, too?
MARDY FISH: Before the match? You know, he played him, so, you know, he's got a little ?? little things that he can pick up that he picked up in the match. Nothing too strenuous, though.

Q. What about yourself? Are you on so much of a high that any emotional feelings or mental tiredness or physical tiredness are just not an issue?
MARDY FISH: No. I mean, not right now. I mean, we're going to try ?? once you get over in the village, you totally take your mind away from everything. You don't really hang out with any tennis players. And, you know, tonight we're going to go to the women's volleyball game, if you guys let me get out of here, at 9:30. You know, just take your mind off everything. It's nice to get a day off. That will be nice. And then, you know, I'll be ready for sure.

Q. On the final, what are the dos and don'ts of playing Massu?
MARDY FISH: Well, I played him once before a long time ago, which I can't really judge too much on that. He was definitely not ranked as high as he is or the player he is now back then.
Same type of match. I'm going to have to take away time from him. He's got an unbelievable forehand, and he competes so well, and he never gives up. It's going to be a battle, you know, till the last point, and I'm going to have to definitely stick with him. And if I'm losing, I'm going to have to, you know, keep attacking and try to force my game on his.

Q. Are you going to ask Taylor for any advice?
MARDY FISH: Yeah, sure.

Deboogle!.
08-20-2004, 11:52 PM
A new Fish wins the kind of match he used to lose
By RAY McNULTY
August 20, 2004

This was a tennis match Mardy Fish used to lose.

He had already teased us by knocking off one of the game's top players.

He was facing a beatable opponent on a favorable surface.

He was playing on a grand stage in a marquee match for the chance to play for the big prize.

Usually, this is where Fish heads for the exit.

Usually, this is where he wilts or cowers or gets so nervous that, no matter how hard he tries, he can't come through with his best tennis.

But not anymore.

Not here, anyway.

"This is a big, big thing for him," U.S. men's coach Patrick McEnroe said. "I think it has inspired him."

This is the Olympics.

And Fish would rather win here than anywhere else.

"People have asked me: 'What would you rather do - win a Grand Slam or win the gold medal?'" Fish was saying Friday, after putting himself in position to win one with a hard-fought, three-set triumph over Chile's Fernando Gonzalez in the Olympic semifinals. "Having them play the national anthem? I mean, that would probably be the ultimate for me.

"I've always said that I think it would be pretty cool, standing on the podium with a gold medal around your neck.''

Anyone who thinks those are empty words hasn't been paying attention. The Mardy Fish we've seen in the Athens Olympics isn't the same player who too often knocks off a top player in one round, then loses to some tennis nobody the next.

The Mardy Fish we've seen in these Olympics isn't the same player who too often plays his way onto the big stage, then forgets how he got there.

The Mardy Fish we've seen in this past week isn't the same player who too often plays just well enough to lose close matches.

And this wonderful transformation, this sudden growth, this spectacular coming out has happened when you'd least expect it.

Fish came to Greece in the midst of a forgettable summer in which he had reached only one quarterfinal and had seen his world-ranking drop from a career-high No. 17 earlier this year to a pre-Olympics No. 35.

So his expectations were great.

"I came into this tournament with a goal of trying to win a medal," he said. "But, realistically, I hadn't won very many matches this summer."

Then he arrived in Athens and, suddenly, his Olympic flame was lit and his competitive fires began to burn like never before.

Five matches later, he has played his way to the gold-medal match against another Chilean, Nicolas Massu, and will return to the U.S. with no worse than the silver.

"I've sort of been waiting for this type of performance at a big event," McEnroe said. "He's been playing well. Each match, he's gotten a little better. ... The talent's been there. It's just nice to see him starting to believe and see I coming out at a big event like this."

Certainly, it came out against Gonzalez, a tough out who bounced America's No. 1 player, Andy Roddick, out of the Olympics earlier in the tournament.

Fish lost the first set and lost his serve in the first game of the second, usually a sign that he won't hang around long. But, showing his newfound grit and feeding off the Olympic spirit, the 22-year-old Floridian regrouped and pushed the match to a win-or-go-home third set.

"He got off to a slow start today," McEnroe said, "but he hung in there and fought through when he wasn't playing his best."

Even when adversity came calling in the third set - after breaking Gonzalez's serve to go up 3-2, he allowed Gonzalez to break back - Fish stubbornly refused to fold.

And after breaking Gonzalez in the ninth game, Fish confidently served out the match.

"I've had some really tough, close matches this summer and lost a lot of tiebreakers," Fish said. "I've just been on the bad-luck end of a lot of matches. But I was hoping everything, all the bads, would ball up into one big good. ... This is the good, I guess."

Maybe luck has something to do with it.

But Fish has been more than lucky.

He's been tough, especially when it matters most.

"Really, honestly, I didn't expect to be here," Fish said, "so I don't have anything to lose."

Oh, yes, he does.

Deboogle!.
08-20-2004, 11:53 PM
Fish in final, dreaming of golden finish
By RAY McNULTY
August 20, 2004

Mardy Fish came to Greece to embrace the Olympic experience and feel the spirit of the Summer Games.

And for the past week, he has experienced all that Athens 2004 has to offer: the Olympic Village, befriending other athletes from other countries and cheering for his fellow Americans competing in other sports.

"In the village," he explained, "you feel like everybody is part of a team ... Team USA."

Now, though, he's the last member of his team - the U.S. Olympic tennis team - with a shot at a gold medal.

And Fish isn't quite sure what to feel.

"Not at all," Fish was saying Friday after his tough, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 victory over 16th-seeded Fernando Gonzalez of Chile in the Olympic semifinals. "I mean, I'm just extremely excited.

"The TV guy tried to get an interview right after the match, and I'm sure it's the worst interview he's ever gotten. I honestly didn't know what to say."

When Fish steps onto Centre Court at the Olympic Tennis Center for Sunday's championship match against another Chilean, 10th-seeded Nicolas Massu, it will be - without question - the biggest moment of his tennis life.

The Olympic gold medal, he said, would mean more to him than a U.S. Open title or Wimbledon crown or any other tournament triumph.

"I think it would be pretty cool, standing on the podium with a gold medal around your neck, having them play the national anthem," said Fish, who was not seeded in a tournament that began with top-ranked Roger Federer and No. 2 Andy Roddick in the field. "That would probably be the ultimate for me."

It's not surprising, then, that Fish has watched several of the other sports' medal ceremonies at these Olympics and imagined being part of one.

And it's no longer just a dream.

At the very least, Fish will leave Athens with a silver medal, his reward for outlasting Gonzalez in a sloppy-but-spirited slugfest on Show Court No. 1.

For nearly two hours, Fish and Gonzalez traded shots under a broiling, Mediterranean sun and in 95-degree heat. And the fleet-footed South American took control early, breaking Fish's serve twice in the first set.

Late in the set, in fact, Fish became so frustrated with his serve that he slammed his racket to the ground.

But after losing the set, he regrouped.

Showing a new-found grit to go with his gifted game, Fish shook off the setback and began to dictate play with his penetrating ground strokes, running Gonzalez from side to side.

Then, with Fish serving at 2-2 in the second set, Gonzalez suffered an ankle injury while hitting a running forehand. His right ankle rolled when he planted his foot, and he immediately limped to his courtside seat.

"It has happened before," Gonzalez said.

During an injury timeout, Gonzalez briefly iced the ankle, then had a trainer wrap it. And he resumed play, showing no signs of slowing down.

Fish won that game and the next two, pushing the match to a third set.

"He got off to a slow start today, but he hung in there and fought through it when he wasn't playing his best," U.S. men's coach Patrick McEnroe said. "He's got a lot of game. For him, it's a question of playing aggressively and having a positive attitude out there."

Fish stayed positive against Gonzalez, even after the players traded service breaks in the middle of the final set.

"I gave him a couple of gifts in a couple of games and luckily got out of them," Fish said.

Gonzalez held serve to go up 4-3, but he wouldn't win another game as Fish held serve to get even, broke for a 5-4 lead and, seizing the moment, closed out the match with two aces and to service winners.

And now he's one match from the top of the podium.

"Three sets away ... it's THAT close," Fish said.

Fish was hoping to meet his U.S. teammate, Taylor Dent, in the gold-medal match, but the unseeded American was beaten by Massu 7-6 (7-5), 6-1 on Centre Court in the other semifinal.

Aleksa's Laydee
08-21-2004, 10:08 AM
great articles deb ;)

pieross
08-21-2004, 11:05 AM
http://www.tennis.com.cn/bbs/uploadFiles/2004-08/21_278073_1.jpg

http://www.tennis.com.cn/bbs/uploadFiles/2004-08/21_278142_1.jpg

HEiKE
08-21-2004, 11:25 AM
Thanks for posting that great article, Deb!!

And pieross, thanks for posting those great pics!!

Jennay
08-21-2004, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the pics and articles everyone :kiss:

I just cannot WAIT for this final, so excited. :D
That smile is so real and so sweet :hearts:
Go Mardy! Bring home the gold!!

tangerine_dream
08-21-2004, 05:07 PM
I am loving these pics of Mardy. I have never seen him so ecstatic. Did anyone else see Mardy rest his head on the net after he won? I'd love to find a picture of it, it was great.

And does anyone know if the bronze medal match between Gonzo and Dent will be televised at all? I hope so.

Jennay
08-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Tangy its been on USA network since this morning. It just finished.

tangerine_dream
08-21-2004, 07:44 PM
arrrrg. I totally missed it. :(

A few moments ago, they showed Mary Carillo interviewing Mardy about how he's preparing for the biggest final of his life. Mardy looks like he's still adjusting to all the attention he's been getting. :lol: They also showed him practicing on the court today.

I think Mardy will do fine in his match against Massu tomorrow. He's beaten him before, and I think if he manages to stay within his own little bubble throughout the match, he will win. Even if he doesn't, he's guaranteed the silver medal, which is more than anyone else on his team can say. :)

snaillyyy
08-21-2004, 07:56 PM
Just saw the same thing Tangy :cool: . Nice to see Mardy smiling. I might have know Mardy and Andy would have been playing baseball with their racquets :devil: but is nice to see Andy stuck around and is practicing with Mardy.

I can't wait for the final tomorrow it is going to be great :rocker: :banana:

GET THE GOLD MARDY

Jennay
08-21-2004, 08:14 PM
arrrrg. I totally missed it. :(

A few moments ago, they showed Mary Carillo interviewing Mardy about how he's preparing for the biggest final of his life. Mardy looks like he's still adjusting to all the attention he's been getting. :lol: They also showed him practicing on the court today.

I think Mardy will do fine in his match against Massu tomorrow. He's beaten him before, and I think if he manages to stay within his own little bubble throughout the match, he will win. Even if he doesn't, he's guaranteed the silver medal, which is more than anyone else on his team can say. :)
Aww :hug:

Yeah I saw that. Mardy looked a little shy to me. I don't think he is used to this much attention. :)

I really truly think Mardy will win. The Chileans have had long tough matches, plus Mardy is plain and simple the better HC player. He has the confidence, and he says he is 100% physically, so thats great. :D

I CAN'T wait for this match. I wish they didn't play Sunday. I want them to play now. I'm so greedy ;)

Jennay
08-21-2004, 08:19 PM
http://www.tennis.com.cn/bbs/uploadFiles/2004-08/21_278142_1.jpg
This has got to be one of my favorite pictures of Mardy :D

snaillyyy
08-22-2004, 02:11 AM
On the NBC Olympics site you can vote for the Kleenex moment for the day. For yesterday Mardy falling to his knees after beating Gonzales is one of the three choices and he is ahead in the voting with 44% :hearts: :hug: :kiss:

tangerine_dream
08-22-2004, 02:43 AM
I voted for Mardy and he's winning by almost half. :banana:

Preview of Mardy's match with Massu:

August 22, 2004

TENNIS: Mardy Fish Gold Medal Match Preview

MARDY FISH (USA) vs. NICOLAS MASSU (CHILE)

GOING FOR GOLD - Mardy Fish is seeking to become the first American man to win Olympic gold in men’s tennis since Andre Agassi at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta when he takes on Nicolas Massu of Chile in Sunday’s gold medal match to be played Sunday at the Athens Olympic Tennis Center. Fish would become only the fourth American man to win Olympic gold in men’s singles since Olympic tennis began in 1896. (Olympic tennis was not played from 1924 to 1988).

AMERICAN MEN TO WIN OLYMPIC GOLD IN MEN’S SINGLES
1904 – Beals Wright
1924 - Vincent Richards
1996 – Andre Agassi

Fish and Massu’s gold medal match will be a best-of-five-sets match and will be the second match on the Sunday schedule, following the women’s doubles final that begins at 5 pm in Athens.

Fish’s tennis abilities have been a subject in the media since the age of two. It was at that age when young Mardy was the subject of a local newscast on WCCO in Minneapolis, Minn., for being the “best two-year-old tennis player in the world” as young Mardy was able to hit the ball over the net from the baseline – a rare feat for any two-year-old.

Since that report in 1984, Fish has steadily progressed into become one of America’s top tennis talents. After a successful junior career in which he was the best-finishing American at the 1999 French Open and Wimbledon junior championships, Fish turned professional on Sept. 9, 1999 (9/9/99). Fish’s first breakthrough came when he was named to the 2002 U.S. Davis Cup team that reached the semifinals.

Perhaps Fish’s grandest effort came in the Davis Cup World Group Playoff in Bratislava, Slovakia, where Fish saved the U.S. team from almost certain defeat. With the United States trailing Slovakia 0-1 in the best-of-five match series, Fish came back from losing the first set, his opponent, Karol Kucera, serving for both the second and third sets, and a 30-minute “blackout” in the arena with Fish serving at a tenuous situation at 5-5, deuce in the second set. Fish won the “must-win” match in four courageous sets, saving the U.S. Davis Cup team from the almost insurmountable 0-2 deficit in a match that it eventually won by a 3-2 margin.

Fish grew up in Edina, Minn., before moving to Vero Beach, Fla., but remains an enthusiastic Twins and Vikings fan. His father, Tom, is a teaching professional. His mother, Sally, and younger sister, Meredith, are two of Mardy’s biggest fans. Mardy is a huge fan of country music and is friends with country music stars Kenny Chesney and Trace Atkins. Fish’s best friend, Josh Owen, is an up-and-coming country singer who is considering having Mardy perform on a few of his newly-written songs.

The 2004 Olympic Games has the been the coming out event for Fish, who is currently ranked No. 35 in the world, but has been as high as No. 18. Fish has never advanced past the third round of a Grand Slam and prior to the Olympics, his only major victory at a major event was a second round win over Carlos Moya at the 2003 Australian Open.

Fish’s rise up the rankings in recent years has been overshadowed somewhat by the success of Fish’s best friend, Davis Cup and Olympic teammate Andy Roddick, who won the 2003 US Open. Fish and Roddick are both graduates of Boca Prep High School in Boca Raton, Fla., where Fish lived for one year with the Roddick family so that the two up-and-coming tennis stars could train together.

Fish is the third straight unseeded player to reach the Olympic Gold Medal Match, joining 2000 silver medallist Tommy Haas of Germany, 1996 silver medallist Sergi Bruguera of Spain and 1992 gold medallist Marc Rosset of Switzerland.

Fish advanced to the final with victories over the following players;
First Round def. Jonas Bjorkman (Sweden) 7-6 (7), 6-1
Second Round def. Juan Carlos Ferrero (Spain) 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-4
Third Round def. Max Mirnyi (Belarus) 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
Quarterfinal def. Mikhail Youzhny (Russia) 6-3, 6-4
Semifinal def. Fernando Gonzalez (Chile) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4

Fish was two points from elimination in the second round of the tournament, when former world’s No. 1 Juan Carlos Ferrero lead Fish 6-3, 5-3, 0-30, but Fish rallied to hold serve and break Ferrero as the Spaniard served for the match at 5-4, then won the second set tie-break 7-5 and hold on to win the third set 6-4.

Fish has been staying in the Olympic Village with Andy Roddick, U.S. assistant coach Dean Goldfine and has embraced the Olympic ideals and spirit by socializing and pin-trading with athletes from all over the world. Fish said he finds interacting with athletes from such sports as Judo, Track and Field and Gymnastics very humbling as he learned about the hours of training and dedication that athletes put into their sport. U.S. Olympic coach Patrick McEnroe said that Fish has found living in the village inspiring to Fish, which has caused for his strong success at the Games.

Massu is playing in the gold medal singles and doubles matches here in Athens, becoming the first player since tennis returned to the Olympic fold in 1988 to achieve the feat. The last player to play for (and win) gold medals in singles and doubles was Vincent Richards of the United States in 1924.
Massu has spent a considerably longer time on the tennis court in the 90-degree temperatures and Athenian sun than Fish. Fish has spent 8 hours and 55 minutes in his five previous matches en route to the final, while Massu has spent 10 hours and 29 minutes.

When doubles is counted, Fish spent in additional 1 hour and 30 minutes on the court, factoring in his first round doubles loss with Andy Roddick against Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi of India. Entering Saturday night’s men’s doubles final against Rainer Schuettler and Nicolas Kiefer of Germany, Massu has spent an additional six hours and 31 minutes on the court.

TIME AT THE OLYMPICS PLAYING SINGLES
Fish - 8 hours, 55 minutes
Massu – 10 hours, 29 minutes
TOTAL TIME AT THE OLYMPICS ON COURT (SINGLES AND DOUBLES)
Fish – 10 hours, 25 minutes
Massu – 17 hours, 0 minutes (not including men’s doubles final on Saturday night)

Massu has spent an additional 6 hours and 31 minutes on the court in reaching the doubles final with partner Fernando Gonzalez.

Massu advanced to the final with victories over the following players…
First Round def. Gustavo Kuerten (Brazil) 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
Second Round def. Vince Spadea (United States) 7-6 (3), 6-2
Third Round def. Igor Andreev (Russia) 6-3, 6-7 (4), 6-4
Quarterfinal def. Carlos Moya (Spain) 6-2, 7-5
Semifinal def. Taylor Dent (USA) 7-6 (5), 6-1

Massu has been responsible for dashing three American medal hopes during the Games, defeating Vince Spadea in the second round, Taylor Dent in the semifinals, and, in doubles with Fernando Gonzalez, defeating Bob and Mike Bryan in the quarterfinals.

Deboogle!.
08-22-2004, 05:45 AM
come on Mardy just keep your head level, get those first serves in, and play your game!

superpinkone37
08-22-2004, 07:08 AM
i voted for him earlier in that thing too lol. mardy better win tomorrow, im waking up early and everything lol. GO MARDY!!!! :bounce:

Aleksa's Laydee
08-22-2004, 08:05 AM
some more YUM pics

:hearts: :drool: :D

that first pic is one of my favs :lol:

Aleksa's Laydee
08-22-2004, 08:07 AM
LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF LUCK TO YOUMARDY

unfortunatley i can't see it live, i have to visit someone at the hospital but if they get better and mardy wins....what a fab day :wavey:

:hearts: :kiss: :drool: :dance: :bowdown: :woohoo: :yippee: :yeah: :hug: :bigclap: :rocker2: :banana:

(you like a collage i made of mardy ;) )

pieross
08-22-2004, 08:54 AM
i cant see it live on TV!!
cos' our TV program will broadcast womens double final,i want to see mens single final!!!!
GO GO GO GO!!!!!!!GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD LUCK Mardy!!!!!!!!

snaillyyy
08-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Siobhan the collage is great, all those pics of Mardy :hearts: :drool:

Hope whoever is in the hospital gets better soon.

GOOD LUCK TO MARDY

PinkFeatherBoa
08-22-2004, 03:06 PM
Cool collage of Mardy Siobhan, also hope whoever you're visiting gets well soon. :) I'm sure you'll be thinking of Mardy and be there for him in spirit.

Blah these women's doubles are taking far too long.:yawn:

Huge luck to Mardy!

tangerine_dream
08-22-2004, 03:54 PM
IT'S GOLD FISH TIME!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

Everybody get on MSN. :)

lfty
08-22-2004, 04:10 PM
I'm so nervous! :awww: Start the match already!

tangerine_dream
08-22-2004, 04:19 PM
I'm nervous too, Ifty. :awww: I really want this to be Mardy's coming-out party and to win gold. He just needs to stay inside his little bubble and not tighten up too much. He should relax, and enjoy, because either way, he will be an Olympic medalist. GOOD LUCK MARDY!!!!!! :bigclap:

lfty
08-22-2004, 08:40 PM
:sobbing: It was so close! :crying2: Impressive what Massu did but it's so disappointing. And they didn’t even show the medal ceremony. :tears:

gogo_guga
08-22-2004, 08:42 PM
The hug between the two of them was so cute!

rue
08-22-2004, 08:42 PM
You were so close, yet so far from winning this one. I really thought that you were going to win it but at least you can say that you have got the silver.

tangerine_dream
08-22-2004, 08:46 PM
Well, guess we'll have to settle for SILVER FISH. Heh. :)

It's really disappointing. That was a winnable match for Mardy but he is untested in these waters and inexperienced and Massu is a strong animal. Mardy choked very badly. :o He just doesn't have the mental strength that Andy has. So many UE's. A lot of blown chances. *sigh*

Well, chalk it up to more match experience for Mardy under his belt. The more he plays in pressure-cooker matches like this, it can only help him in the long run. I'm pretty certain he'll end up crying himself to sleep tonight but like I said, a silver medal is better than no medal and he can be proud of himself for getting so far in the Olympics. :bigclap:

And I agree Ifty---a big fat raspberry to USA Network for not showing the medal ceremony. :ras: I would've loved to have seen both Massu and Fish's reactions. Just pour more salt on the wound, why don't they? :o

Aleksa's Laydee
08-22-2004, 08:46 PM
pfff...mardy :sobbing: you were so bloody close :sad: :rolleyes:

Neely
08-22-2004, 08:47 PM
so sad for Mardy :sad: :sad:

I hope he can be happy about silver also... but the good thing about his defeat was, that he didn't throw away the match as badly as my two guys Kiefer/Schüttler did it the night before, so I guess this process should be a lot of faster and Mardy can look back to success with pride sooner. :)

Aleksa's Laydee
08-22-2004, 08:50 PM
where did it all go wrong :confused:

lfty
08-22-2004, 09:29 PM
Aww, he cried. :awww: Silver really is something to be proud of. Congrats Mardy :yeah:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/lfty125/50eba249.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/lfty125/56e165e7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/lfty125/0d5c4670.jpg

lfty
08-22-2004, 09:38 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/lfty125/1d10f645.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/lfty125/a7751b79.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/lfty125/f0412237.jpg

Carito_90
08-22-2004, 09:39 PM
Yeah he cried before reaching the lockers room... I thought I was gonna start crying too :sad:

Its okay Mardy, you did what you had to do... time for the USO now :)

snaillyyy
08-22-2004, 09:44 PM
Well, guess we'll have to settle for SILVER FISH. Heh. :)

And I agree Ifty---a big fat raspberry to USA Network for not showing the medal ceremony. :ras: I would've loved to have seen both Massu and Fish's reactions. Just pour more salt on the wound, why don't they? :o

Getting silver must be hard to swallow for Mardy right now since gold could have been his, but he did something noone else on the US Tennis team did and that was bring home a medal !! So congrats Mardy!

I was channel surfing and the spanish channel did a summary of the match and showed the medal ceremony, Massu so happy and Fish so sad :sad: , but the worst was the shot they showed of Mardy walking off the court right after the match and he was crying :sad: :sad:

Aleksa's Laydee
08-22-2004, 09:55 PM
oooh honey.... i didnt know u cried :hug:
you did do great... just a shock to see you lost :scared: :kiss:

tangerine_dream
08-22-2004, 09:57 PM
Aww, :hug: for Mardy. Don't cry, kiddo. You won silver!!! :bigclap: Congrats Mardy!!!!! :D (and the olive wreath looks really good on him) :)

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040822/capt.olyten15008222140.greece_olympics_tennis_olyt en150.jpg
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040822/i/r2912461572.jpg
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040822/capt.olyten15108222141.greece_olympics_tennis_olyt en151.jpg
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040822/capt.olyten14708222125.greece_olympics_tennis_olyt en147.jpg
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040822/capt.olyten14508222118.greece_olympics_tennis_olyt en145.jpg

Aleksa's Laydee
08-22-2004, 10:16 PM
:crying2:

lfty
08-22-2004, 10:21 PM
:tears:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/lfty125/7c91fbf1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/lfty125/5cb29c92.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/lfty125/3a59719d.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/lfty125/45b23688.jpg

Jennay
08-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Speaking of pouring salt on the wound :sad: These pictures..

Oh Mardy, don't cry kiddo, you had an amazing run. Knowing that you did, though, makes me extremely upset and moody :tears: Gold would have been the icing on the cake, but silver is something no one else did on the USA team.

We're all so proud of him for getting silver, right guys? :bigclap:

Time to make a nice run at USO! New found confidence is a definite boost! :D

Aleksa's Laydee
08-22-2004, 10:34 PM

totally!!! big thumbs up to mardy... :clap2: :kiss: :worship: :worship: :worship:

snaillyyy
08-22-2004, 11:06 PM
Very proud of him :hug: :hug: He accomplished something that realistically wasn't expected of him, and regardless of its color he earned himself and the US a medal and he worked hard for it for that I will always be proud of him :hearts: :kiss:

rue
08-22-2004, 11:15 PM
Oh my, I had no idea that Mardy cried. He may not see it now, but he really did accompish something that no one ever thought he would do. He did the best he could but I think the lack of experience that he has may have cost him the match. This is something that will only help him in the future. Nothing to be ashamed of and he did walk away with the silver, so there is something to be proud of.

lfty
08-22-2004, 11:30 PM
Yes, I'm very proud of Mardy. :hug: It's just so frustrating because it came down to a few points and on top of that Mardy got some really bad calls. :( *sigh* One more picture and then it's time to move on to the USO.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/lfty125/e6f02b62.jpg

PinkFeatherBoa
08-22-2004, 11:36 PM
:sad: Aww Mardy, I'm sad for him that he couldn't get gold, especially after coming so close, but a silver medal is a great achievement which I'm sure when the disappointment fades he'll realise. I am still happy though because he was a worthy runner up and to get on the medal podium after his bad form recently and that hip injury, was such a humbling thing to me. :hug: for Mardy for becoming Olympic Silverfish. I'm so very proud of you!

superpinkone37
08-22-2004, 11:52 PM
Speaking of pouring salt on the wound :sad: These pictures..

Oh Mardy, don't cry kiddo, you had an amazing run. Knowing that you did, though, makes me extremely upset and moody :tears: Gold would have been the icing on the cake, but silver is something no one else did on the USA team.

Time to make a rice run at USO! New found confidence is a definite boost! :D

awww you said it perfectly!! he did so well and i wasnt really that big of a fan of his before this, but he made me proud, and now im definatly gonna keep closer tabs on him from now on. yay mardy!!! and now to the open...

tangerine_dream
08-23-2004, 12:01 AM
Mardy Fish loses five-set heartbreak to Chile's Nicolas Massu

By CHAREAN WILLIAMS
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Aug. 22, 2004

ATHENS - Mardy Fish couldn't stand to watch. As Nicolas Massu celebrated by wrapping himself in the Chilean flag, thrown down to him from the stands, Fish buried his head in a towel and cried.

Fish couldn't stand to listen either, as the Chile's national anthem played in the medal ceremony, and the tears came once again.

"The most disappointing thing about it was that I just really wanted to hear the (American) national anthem," said Fish, who called it the biggest loss of his career. "In my opinion, I think the Olympics is the biggest thing. The gold medal is the biggest prize in sports. I felt like if I heard the national anthem, I felt like some tears would come. Sure enough, they came, but it was a song I had never heard."

Massu beat Fish 6-3, 3-6, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 in an error-marred match that lasted four hours Sunday night. It was the only medal for the star-studded American team that included Martina Navratilova, Andy Roddick and Venus Williams.

Chile, which had never won a gold medal in any sport in any Olympics, won two golds and a bronze. Fernando Gonzalez beat American Taylor Dent for the bronze medal Saturday, and Massu and Fernando Gonzalez won the doubles title in a match that lasted 3 1/2 hours Saturday.

"The best two days of my life," said Massu, whose 11 matches, including doubles, required a total of 24 hours, 43 minutes for him to win.

The fact that Massu and Fish were the last men standing was an upset in itself.

Roger Federer, the No. 1 seed, lost in the second round, and No. 2 Roddick in the third. Andre Agassi was among the five players ranked in the top 10 who didn't come to Athens. That left Massu and Fish, neither of whom has been ranked in the top 10 nor advanced past the third round in a Grand Slam, to play for the gold medal.

"Who would have thought, you know?" said Fish, ranked 22nd.

Fish and Massu combined for 183 unforced errors, 12 service breaks and 15 double faults.

But when it was over, the Chileans didn't care how it looked as Massu was pulled into the stands by his coach, and the fans chanted, "Chi-chi-chi, le-le-le, Vi-va Chi-le!" as they had all night.

"I'm sick of (that song), and I never want to hear it again," Fish said.

:haha: Oh, Mardy, I don't blame you. But he needn't worry. Nobody will be hearing the Chile anthem again for a long while. ;)

Jennay
08-23-2004, 12:04 AM
Aww Mardy, I would have loved to see you cry out of happiness :hug:

OMFG :haha: I was getting sick of it as well. SHUT UP CHILEANS! :lol:

andyroxmysox12191
08-23-2004, 12:56 AM
:bigcry: those pics are sad :sad:
we're still proud of you mardy and if i meet you at the US Open free practice day, you'll be jumped just to let ya know ;) :hug: good luck! :kiss:

*cries at the pics still*

-sOfia-
08-23-2004, 01:23 AM
mardy :sobbing:.. but hey silver is great too

superpinkone37
08-23-2004, 02:06 AM
awww poor mardy!!! he looked sooo sad awww, just looking at those pics make me wanna cry :sad: anybody find a post match interview? im gonna go look for it, but if anyone already has it....

melissa7
08-23-2004, 02:08 AM
:hug: for Mardy... silver is something to be very proud of.

snaillyyy
08-23-2004, 03:18 AM
Here is Post Match Interview :rolleyes:

TENNIS: Mardy Fish Transcript

by Randy Walker - U.S. Tennis Association

N. MASSU/M. Fish

6?3, 3?6, 2?6, 6?3, 6?4

An interview with:

MARDY FISH

THE MODERATOR: First question, please.

Q. Can you just talk about, I mean, to get a silver medal is a terrific thing, but it looks like it's a little bittersweet for you because it was such a close match.

MARDY FISH: Yeah, I remember somebody saying in the last press conference about how ?? I think it might have been you, actually, Di Pascual was really happy and Tommy was really bummed out. I can definitely see why Tommy was a little bummed out. I think he lost in five sets as well.
You know, I mean, I felt like I had the match in my hands. Two?sets?to?one is a pretty commanding lead when someone seems to be feeling, you know, a little tired, you know, as tired as he looked anyways in the third set. You feel like you pretty much have the match under control if you take care of, you know, the things you need to take care of. That's why we played the fourth and the fifth.

Q. Started out pretty rough. You were down 5?0 in the first set. Really roared back?

MARDY FISH: I think four of those five games I had game points in. It's just kind of one of those sets where it just didn't go my way, I guess. But I felt like I got back on track there, breaking him late in that set and then, you know, he held at 5?3 to make it 6?3.
And I still felt like I, you know, got my feet under me. I felt like I was into the match. And, you know, a couple of those points that didn't go my way in the first set, hopefully if they went my way in the second, the third and the fourth, I should have been okay.
So, yeah, the first couple games were pretty close. I think I was up 40?Love in one game, the first game, then I had game point the next game. I had breakpoint against him in the first game he served, so...

Q. How was it having Andy Roddick cheer you on during the match? Did you get a chance to talk to him at all after the match?

MARDY FISH: Yeah, we talked a little bit afterwards, but there's not really too much to say. I mean, it's just nice to have, you know, people in your corner. It's nice to have a buddy in your corner. You know, I mean, it just so happens that his last name is Roddick and he's won the US Open. I don't think that really had too much to do with it.

Q. Could you sort of take us through kind of a roller coaster of emotion out there through the match. Could you take us through that.

MARDY FISH: Well, yeah. I mean, I felt like I started out fine. I mean, I had breakpoints in the first game, then 40?Love in the second game. Then, you know, breakpoints again in the third game. Then got broken again. You know, those are opportunities that this week I have taken advantage of and didn't in one set.
I still felt like if I could even hold serve at 5?0, that was my goal, just to hold serve and just to kind of get the momentum a little bit back in my direction. Sure enough I broke him there. Then I still felt like I had my feet wet and I was into the match.
And then, you know, I mean, it just seemed like he was ?? you know, he was really tired in that second set, in the middle of the second set, and the whole third set. Usually, when I get tired, I usually get tired and I keep getting tired (laughter). I mean, I don't really know.
After he came back from the bathroom break, you know, I mean, it just all of a sudden he's ?? you know, he's fresh again. I'm not quite sure how that happens.

Q. Do you think that controversial call on the serve maybe pumped him up a little bit, gave him extra energy?

MARDY FISH: Uhm... was that in the fourth set? Was it in the beginning of the fourth? It was 1?All or 2?All in the fourth or something like that?
I think, yeah, I mean, if you can't get pumped up for the gold medal match in the Olympics, I think there's something wrong with you. I think he was already pumped up. And, yeah, maybe he needed that little extra something to, you know, get him over the hump, I guess. I can't really explain it.
Yeah, I would have been extremely tired. I was extremely tired at the end. It was a four?hour match. He just kept getting better and better and more untired ? I don't know.

Q. Early on this week, you said you wanted to see what it was like ? you were kind of joking ? what it was like to have the silly wreath on your head. When the moment came, what was the moment like? It was obviously pretty emotional.

MARDY FISH: Yeah, it was. You know, it went by pretty quick, to be honest with you. You know, I mean, I would have liked to have the American flag in the middle of that, of those three flag poles. I think that was the most emotional thing about it. I really wanted to hear the National Anthem being played after that match.
I think that was the thing that kept me going and, you know, trying to ?? you know, trying everything to try to win that match. And, you know...
Yeah, I mean, that was...

Q. Didn't feel silly?

MARDY FISH: No, it felt fine. Felt fine. It fit fine.

Q. When you get over the obvious disappointment of tonight, how will you reflect on this whole Olympic experience?

MARDY FISH: Well, it's definitely a week that I'll never forget. You know, how many people can say, first of all, that they've played in the Olympics and then won a medal? You know, I'm glad that I can add to the tally of medals that the US has won. China is on our heels, I think.
I mean, it's ?? you know, it was a great week ranking?wise. I got my ranking back up to where I'm seeded in The Open again and looking forward instead of backwards.
And, I mean, I got a medal. That's the coolest thing about it. I mean, I came into this tournament trying to get a medal, you know, and I didn't know whether it was in singles or doubles. I kind of thought that maybe my better chance would have been in doubles with Andy. We had a tough draw and went down there. I thought we could have really done well there as well.
I mean, what can you say? Massu won two gold medals. That's unbelievable. It's one of the greatest ?? I mean, you obviously can't have a better week. But, I mean, who would have thought, you know?

Q. You said about the way he rediscovered his energy, you don't know how that sort of thing happens. Do you have any thoughts on how he was able to get his energy back?

MARDY FISH: You know, maybe he was playing a little cat?and?mouse in the beginning. Maybe he was trying to show me that he was really tired. You know, I mean, that's the only thing that I can think of. I mean, you know, it's something that ?? you know, we talked in the locker room after the match. I just don't understand how someone gets just less and less tired after, you know, keep going after hour, after hour. I feel like I'm in pretty good shape, and I was getting tired there at the end.
We were having long games. The game scores were a couple 6?2, 6?3, 6?3, 6?4, whatever, but they were still long, long games. Every game with way deuce pretty much. I just don't understand how somebody can get less tired when they keep going. Usually every time that I've done it, I always get more and more tired.

Q. Obviously, extremely disappointing. No doubt about that. But have you ever felt as gutted at another loss as you do today?

MARDY FISH: Uhm... the only match that comes to mind is the match in Cincinnati last year, losing to Andy. I think it was partly just because I didn't want to lose to Andy (smiling). Yeah, I mean, that's the only ?? I mean, that one and Davis Cup, losing in Sweden. That was tough because that's the only match we've lost in Davis Cup yet ? so far anyways. Hopefully that will be the only one.
So, yeah, I mean, I'm sure I'm forgetting a match or two. That match in Australia against Ferrero when I was up two sets to love was tough. But, I mean, that's not on the same level as this. That's just a ?? you know, that was one of my first Grand Slams, my first third round ever in a Grand Slam. I feel like I can get back there, you know. This doesn't come around too often.

Q. When will you get back to Tampa, and what do you think you'll do with the medal? I know your friends are Lightning guys. Would you consider showing it off, like they do with the Stanley Cup?

MARDY FISH: They get like a day with it. A couple guys took it to Bennigans. I don't think I'm going to take it to Bennigans or anything like that.
Maybe I'll wave it in their face a little bit. They don't have a medal. They can't get a medal. Actually, they probably can.

Q. Some of them have them.

MARDY FISH: They probably have gold medals. I can't do that. Never mind (smiling).
I don't know. I mean, I'm gonna go back after The Open and take some time, a little time off, and kind of reflect on what I've just done here. I'm sure tomorrow or the next couple days I'll realize that this was an unbelievable experience and an unbelievable tournament for me and something that obviously I'll never forget.
I'll put the ?? I'm sure I'll put the medal ?? I asked Tommy where he put his. He says he has it in a safe. But I kind of want to keep it out so people can see it. But I don't want anybody to steal it (smiling).

Q. You talked about how Blaine Wilson brought his silver medal down to the lounge and let everybody try it on. Will you do the same?

MARDY FISH: I feel like they've got quite a few ?? swimming has quite a few medals down there in the lounge, so I don't want to ?? I can't really ?? I would have brought the gold medal for sure because you can't get any better than that, but you can do a little bit better than a silver medal.
Blaine was in the locker room just now. He came to the match. I said, "I got one, too."

Q. No loss on a professional level can ever bring a player to tears like this. This is something in another world, isn't it, as far as emotion?

MARDY FISH: Yeah, I mean, like I said before, I think the most disappointing thing about it was that I just really wanted to hear the National Anthem. I felt like, in my opinion ? and this is an opinion that a lot of players have different, you know, have a different view of it ? but I think that the Olympics is the biggest thing, and a gold medal is the biggest prize in sports.
And I felt like if, you know, if I heard the National Anthem, and I felt like some tears would come there as well. Sure enough, they came, but it was a song that I had never heard of.

Q. What did you think of the crowd?

MARDY FISH: I honestly felt like it was an away tie in a Davis Cup match. These South American countries and European countries, they have some loud fans. It's exciting to play. I mean, they didn't bother me. I mean, I'd rather have fans cheering than fans not cheering. It seemed like everybody was fair, obviously, and nobody was saying stuff when we were playing or hitting or anything like that.
But, yeah, I mean, I definitely felt like they were on his side most of the ?? most of the flags were Chilean. I'd much rather have it that way than have fans that were not into it at all.

Q. How do you explain why most of the fans were on his side? Ranking?wise, I guess you would have been the underdog.

MARDY FISH: Maybe there was a lot more Chileans there, and they like that Chi?Chi?Chi?Le?Le?Le song. I've heard it about 1,000 times now and I'm sick of it (smiling) ? in the last two matches. I never want to hear it again.
I don't know. Maybe it was because he was tired and he was fighting and they saw that and they felt like maybe he was the underdog in the match just because of the way things were going in the beginning.

andyroxmysox12191
08-23-2004, 03:32 AM
:kiss: thank you carole :kiss:
who does these interviews anyway? well i mean who types them out cause really they could do a better job at it ;) i got lost with all the ?'s lol.
oh well *sigh* thanks again carole. i probably wouldnt have found it :lol:

snaillyyy
08-23-2004, 03:37 AM
:rolleyes: If I was more awake Mani I would have cleaned it up before I posted but the way I feel I probably would have deleted half of it and not noticed :p

Fergie
08-23-2004, 04:45 AM
OMFG :haha: I was getting sick of it as well. SHUT UP CHILEANS! :lol:

Sorry, but those who remained shut up were you :bigwave:

superpinkone37
08-23-2004, 06:29 AM
thanks for the transcript!!! i left right when i was gonna go look for it and i totally forgot about it lol. thanks for posting it!! :)

Seraphim
08-23-2004, 08:23 AM
I really have to stop tearing-up over these matches. Congrats Mardy, and "Silverfish" does fit nicely.

Aleksa's Laydee
08-23-2004, 09:54 AM
I mean, it's ?? you know, it was a great week ranking?wise. I got my ranking back up to where I'm seeded in The Open again and looking forward instead of backwards.
And, I mean, I got a medal. That's the coolest thing about it. I mean, I came into this tournament trying to get a medal, you know, and I didn't know whether it was in singles or doubles.

I'm gonna go back after The Open and take some time, a little time off, and kind of reflect on what I've just done here. I'm sure tomorrow or the next couple days I'll realize that this was an unbelievable experience and an unbelievable tournament for me and something that obviously I'll never forget.

I honestly felt like it was an away tie in a Davis Cup match.

the 1st two paragraphs said it all....he should be so happy and it sounds like he is

but :hug: for the thing about the DC aaaw i'm sure he had fans there too right guys?

mardy: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

tangerine_dream
08-23-2004, 02:59 PM
This is from Tennis-X:

"Mardy Fish launched into a foul-mouthed tirade in the fifth set of the gold medal match Sunday at the Athens Olympics, causing a mental meltdown that cost the American the match 6-3, 3-6, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 against an exhausted Nicolas Massu of Chile."

OK, I must have been in the bathroom when this happened---when did Mardy go off on a "foul-mouthed tirade"? What did he say exactly, anyone know? :confused:

Jennay
08-23-2004, 04:29 PM
Tangy, it was over a bad call. He got boo'd at. He had an argument with the chair and kept it up with him for a while, and talked to himself in between points. Wasn't fun to see :(

Jennay
08-23-2004, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the transcript Carole :hug:

lfty
08-23-2004, 04:39 PM
Tangy, it was over a bad call. He got boo'd at. He had an argument with the chair and kept it up with him for a while, and talked to himself in between points. Wasn't fun to see :(
Yeah but I wouldn't call that a 'foul-mouthed tirade.' He didn't use any obscenities when addressing the umpire after that particular point. He did say something a few points later, along the lines of 'you suck…f*** you' but it wasn't even audible. But there's no telling what all he said to himself after that. I can't read lips. :rolleyes:

Jennay
08-23-2004, 04:47 PM
Yeah, Lfty, he didn't say anything obscene right at the umpire, he definitley said something to himself though.

And OMFG :haha: Your avatar rocks! :rocker2:

Golfnduck
08-23-2004, 05:17 PM
Mardy Fish loses five-set heartbreak to Chile's Nicolas Massu

But when it was over, the Chileans didn't care how it looked as Massu was pulled into the stands by his coach, and the fans chanted, "Chi-chi-chi, le-le-le, Vi-va Chi-le!" as they had all night.

"I'm sick of (that song), and I never want to hear it again," Fish said.

:haha: Oh, Mardy, I don't blame you. But he needn't worry. Nobody will be hearing the Chile anthem again for a long while. ;)

I'm would have been so sick of that song. But he did get an olympic medal and that is a great accomplishment. ONTO THE USO!!

Aleksa's Laydee
08-23-2004, 08:00 PM
I'm would have been so sick of that song. But he did get an olympic medal and that is a great accomplishment. ONTO THE USO!!

hell yeah...bring on flushing meadows :bounce:

-sOfia-
08-23-2004, 09:40 PM
silver is great too, mardy, so lighten up :p

tangerine_dream
08-24-2004, 04:38 PM
Fish ultimately proud of silver

By Karen Crouse
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Monday, August 23, 2004

ATHENS, Greece — The Olympic silver medal belonged to U.S. gymnast Blaine Wilson, and Mardy Fish was fired up when Wilson brought it down to a lounge in the Athletes' Village and let other U.S. athletes wear it.

The medal felt heavy around Fish's neck. It struck him as a very precious metal, indeed. He allowed himself to think how cool it would be if he somehow were to end up with a silver medal of his own.

That was a few days before Fish, a former Boca Prep standout, advanced to the men's singles gold-medal match. A funny thing happened once Sunday's final got under way. The closer Fish got to the gold medal, the less precious a silver medal looked.

When he took a 2-1 lead in sets over Chile's Nicolas Massu in the best-of-five contest, Fish allowed himself to think of Old Glory being sent up the middle flagpole. So the tears Fish shed some four hours after the match began, when he received his own silver medal, were not droplets of joy.

Fish could bury his tear-stained face in his hands but he couldn't hide his disappointment at losing to Massu 6-3, 3-6, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.

"I felt like I had the match in my hands," Fish said. "Two sets to one is a pretty commanding lead when someone seems to be as tired as (Massu) looked in the third set. You feel like you pretty much have the match under control if you take care of the things you need to take care of."

Massu had every reason to be weary. He had taken the doubles title with partner Fernando Gonzalez in a match that started Saturday, finished Sunday and covered 3 hours, 43 minutes. Roughly 16 hours after completing the doubles match, Massu was back on the court for the singles final.

He took a bathroom break between the third and fourth sets and that seemed to revive him. Fish fought for a break point in the seventh game of the fourth set but couldn't convert it. The resulting swing of momentum carried Massu to a fifth set.

"I just don't understand how someone gets less and less tired after, you know, going hour after hour after hour," Fish said. "I feel like I'm in pretty good shape and I was getting tired there at the end. Maybe he was playing a little cat-and-mouse in the beginning. Maybe he was trying to show me that he was really tired. That's the only thing that I can think of."

As Fish became more fatigued, his backhand suffered. It usually saves him but it betrayed him down the stretch against Massu. On the first match point, on Massu's serve, Fish hit a forehand out for the last of his 105 unforced errors (against 42 winners, 16 more than Massu).

Massu dropped to the court and lay spread-eagle at the baseline after earning his second gold medal in two days and the first two gold medals in his country's history.

Fish plodded to the net and stood there awkwardly, waiting to shake hands with his vanquisher. When seconds passed and Massu didn't get up, Fish, his head hanging, walked to his sideline chair and started gathering the half dozen shirts and handful of rackets he had gone through.

Eventually Massu rose, Fish met him halfway and the Chilean and the American embraced.

Addressing reporters a few minutes later — around midnight local time — Fish admitted the obvious: He was a little bummed out.

"I really wanted to hear the national anthem being played after the match," he said. "I think that was the most emotional thing about it."

Fish did have the time of his life at the Opening Ceremony and during his stay at the Athletes' Village.

"It's definitely a week that I'll never forget," he said. "You know, how many people can say, first of all, that they've played in the Olympics and then won a medal?"

In the locker room after the match, Fish met up with Wilson, the gymnast, who had come with Andy Roddick to watch the match.

"I got one, too," Fish told him.

By the time he returned to the Athletes' Village and ran into athletes curious to see and hold and wear his medal, Fish was pretty sure it would feel, once and forever, like the coolest thing.

Find this article at:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2004/08/23/a1c_olytennis_0823.html

lfty
08-24-2004, 05:10 PM
I'm so happy to hear that! :D A silver medal is cool.

tangerine_dream
08-27-2004, 02:56 AM
Aww, look at that sad pout. :sad: Mardy, YOU WON THE SILVER. :banana: Don't fret! You will eventually learn to play better under pressure. :)

http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/FishSilverMedalLUM.jpg

August 26, 2004
McEnroe: Dent, Fish Must Learn From Olympic Losses

TennisWeek
By Richard Pagliaro

United States Davis Cup captain and Olympic coach Patrick McEnroe stood on the stage of the United Nations' Dag Hammarskjold Library yesterday and responded to the issue of stage fright.

Asked if Mardy Fish and Taylor Dent — the two members of the American squad who played well enough to reach the Olympic final four, before both stalling amid nerves on pivotal points during medal matches — are mentally strong enough to win major matches, McEnroe said both will learn from their Olympic experience.

"I think it (the Olympic experience) will help. I think obviously the jury is out," McEnroe said. "Fish won a big match in the semis (over Fernando Gonzales) and the Ferrero match at the Olympics (when Ferrero served for the match before Fish rallied to win) as well so he is capable of doing it. So it certainly has to help. Does it mean, you're never gonna win a big match? Well, Mardy won a huge match for us in Davis Cup last year, so I think yes, he is capable of doing it."

As the sons of tennis pros — Dent's father, Phil Dent, was a top 20 player and reached the 1974 Australian Open and Fish's father, Tom Fish, is a respected Florida teaching pro — both young Americans possess an abundance of talent and the technique to match. Yet both sometimes seem to cruise on their gifts and both have struggled to produce their best tennis in majors where the best-of-five set format puts a premium on fitness.

Though both players are capable of beating the best players in the world, neither man has played their best tennis in majors as lack of conditioning can sometimes create concentration lapses apparent in shot selection.

In 15 Grand Slam appearances, the 23-year-old Dent has advanced as far as the fourth round only once — retiring from his fourth-round match with Andre Agassi at Flushing Meadows with a strained hamstring. The 22-year-old Fish has yet to reach the fourth round of a major, exiting in the first or second round in nine of his 11 Slam appearances.

Olympic silver Medallist Fish and fourth-place Olympic finisher Dent will both try to build on their Athens efforts at Flushing Meadows this month.

"Mardy's record so far in five set matches is not great," McEnroe said. "I think that's something he will look to turn around. That comes from confidence and from continuing to work hard and just be a little bit stronger and a little bit fitter."

Asked if Fish feels his loss to Nicolas Massu in the gold-medal match was a case of him letting a golden opportunity — and a two sets to one lead — slip away amid nervous shot selection and an inability to put balls back in the court on pivotal points or was more a matter of a Massu's sheer refusal to lose as the deciding factor, McEnroe said both factors played a part in Fish's losing the lead and ultimately the match.

"I think he views it as a little bit of booth — to be honest with you," McEnroe said. "I think Mardy is obviously devastated to lose it. I think he realizes he had a great tournament overall so that perspective isn't lost on him. Certainly, right after the match, he was devastated. I mean, he knew he had the match and that he was in control of the match."

In McEnroe's mind, Fish lost a bit of the single-minded focus that enabled him to gain the lead in the decisive set. Paying too much attention to Massu's physical — combined with the Chilean's unerring consistency and driven desire — ultimately cost Fish the match.

"I think something he can learn from is he spent a lot of time, I felt in the fifth set, worrying about the fact the other guy was all of a sudden running like a gazelle when he was dead for three sets," McEnroe said. "I think the thing you have to learn is you have to take care of your own business and do your own thing and not worry about how your opponent looks. You have to focus on what you need to do. You know, the energy he spent worrying about the fact that 'How all of a sudden is this guy running now?' was energy misspent."

In off court conversation, both Fish and Dent are intelligent people, yet both showed a lack of court sense and match awareness at times in Athens. Dent was seemingly oblivous to Massu's meanderings around the court after points that slowed the pace of play, while Fish, seemed to get so caught up with Massu's state he lost sight of a fundamental tennis lesson: put returns in the court and make a weary opponent play.

"Players need to be aware of everything that is going on," McEnroe said. "Sometimes you can get caught up in what you're doing too much. There's a fine line between what I'm saying with Mardy, recognizing taking care of your business and recognizing what's going on in the match, and finding that balance between the two so that you don't go overboard in either direction."