Roddick vs. Agassi [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roddick vs. Agassi

Allure
08-07-2004, 09:47 AM
I want Roddick to beat Haas so he will face off against Agassi. That will be very interesting because Agassi is like Roddick's mentor and idol. So it'll be intriguing to see what the reaction will be if the "student" beat the "teacher".

MisterQ
08-07-2004, 11:27 AM
:woohoo: an exciting match-up! :bounce:

Gigan
08-07-2004, 11:47 AM
I want Roddick to beat Haas so he will face off against Agassi. That will be very interesting because Agassi is like Roddick's mentor and idol. So it'll be intriguing to see what the reaction will be if the "student" beat the "teacher".

You said yourself:
"Andre is idol for Roddick..."

But Roddick is not an idol for Andre!!!
He is just one of the many, many, many students of him...
Even Andre does not remember which one...

Rick V
08-07-2004, 04:05 PM
This is a chance for Andy to take a big psychological step. At the 2002 U.S Open, Sampras showed Andy he had more to improve upon - and Andy did just that the next year and became No.1. Now he can prove to himself that he has come a long way in just a couple of years against Agassi. I hope he does it.

papasmurf11
08-07-2004, 04:35 PM
yep good luck andy will be a very interesting matchup!

RonE
08-07-2004, 04:38 PM
I posted this on another thread:-

The way things stand at the moment, I see Roddick winning the match because:

- Andy is in the best form and shape of his life. He is extra determined and his win against Haas (a player who has owned him until yesterday) will give him extra incentive and confidence

- While Andre is still right up there in terms of his returning abilities, if Andy consistently hits the lines serving at 140+ MPH, I don't see him getting too much of a play, or even if he does get the ball back, he won't be able to do it often enough and get it back with enough meat on it to do any serious damage. However, Roddick needs to serve really well and consistently, and if he has a bit of an off serving day, I can definitely see Andre pose some prolems for him.

- As much as I hate to say this, age is a factor. As great as Andre's physical conditioning might be, he is still a step slower than when he himself was 21- and there is nothing you can do about it. With Andy's big power shots hitting the corners, even that fraction of a step could prove to be a decisive factor.

- Andy is coached by a certain Mr. Brad Gilbert, and there is hardly anyone on the planet that knows Agassi's game better than Gilbert- I expect he will have a few extra tips for his man on how to overcome the great Andre.

The keys to this match, as far as i can tell are:

1. Andy's serve, as was mentioned above.

2. Andre's consistency and versatility- if Andre can be patient with his shots, try to throw in a few angled shots, maybe even slice occassionaly, he has a much better chance. That is what Federer does so well against Roddick, breaks up his rythm, keeps him off balance, and keeps him guessing as to what type of shot he will play next.

3. Andre's footwork- to be able to 'execute' as he likes to say Andre needs his feet to be working tip top. If he is slightly sloppy and lazy on the footwork Andy will take him apart.

4. Andre's timing- if he can reproduce some of his old form, stick to the baseline without giving up too much ground and virtually half-volley some of Andy's big shots back like we know he can (which is what Fed does so well)- this will give Andy less time to react and force him into making mistakes. It remains to be seen, however, if he can do it on a consistent enough basis to be able to trouble Roddick.

TinyT
08-07-2004, 05:15 PM
excellent analysis RonE :worship: i pretty much agree with everything that you listed, and i'm looking forward to the match tonight :)

Iheartandy&roger
08-07-2004, 06:16 PM
That match is going to be the bomb! I wish I was going to be able to see it but NOPE we have all coverage of women's tennis and I have been waiting FOREVER to see a Roddick and Agassi match up but I guess I will have to wait FOREVER again.

superpinkone37
08-07-2004, 06:34 PM
im looking forward to this match!

andyroxmysox12191
08-07-2004, 08:35 PM
actually theres this thing on the cincy website. it compares andy and andre at age 22. here's the link
http://www.cincytennis.com/1009/news/day6.asp

superpinkone37
08-07-2004, 08:36 PM
oooh i saw that. its kinda cool cuz andy actually had a little more of an edge over andre at that age

Nishy
08-07-2004, 09:07 PM
actually theres this thing on the cincy website. it compares andy and andre at age 22. here's the link
http://www.cincytennis.com/1009/news/day6.asp

Thanks for the link.
That is interesting to see.
Yea Andy has little an edge over Agassi.
Keep going Andy!

RoddickBabe10
08-07-2004, 09:18 PM
RonE, that was a really good analysis :worship: and I sure agree with you :banana:

I'm just excited to see this match. I mean, what more could I ask for, two of my most favorite players :yippee: Go Andy, though!

Match starts in... 42 minutes and counting down... lol

superpinkone37
08-07-2004, 09:35 PM
dunno if u got my message before, lol, but i think now they are saying that the match will start at 8:00 eastern, 5:00 pacific. sorry if i confused u before but i guess espn had advertised the agassi/roddick match, but wasnt clear that the semifinal coverage started at 3 over here, not that match in particular

but im just as confused as anybody so i could be wrong again. a lot of the websites are not clear.....

RonE
08-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Thanks you guys. Wow, Andy really does seem to have the edge over Andre at their comparative ages, but Andre only really started to blossom comparatively late (when I mean blossom, I mean mentally, as he had already made 3 gs finals by that stage and a few other semis but couldn't win the matches that really count). So it will be interesting to see if Andy can keep it up as he gets older.

Jennay
08-07-2004, 09:40 PM
Very nice analysis RonE :worship:

RoddickBabe10
08-07-2004, 09:41 PM
dunno if u got my message before, lol, but i think now they are saying that the match will start at 8:00 eastern, 5:00 pacific. sorry if i confused u before but i guess espn had advertised the agassi/roddick match, but wasnt clear that the semifinal coverage started at 3 over here, not that match in particular

but im just as confused as anybody so i could be wrong again. a lot of the websites are not clear.....

LOL superpink, I posted that right before I got your message, so thanks anyway lol so they are showing both semis right? ESPN?

andyroxmysox12191
08-07-2004, 09:58 PM
coverage starts at 6pm est time.....they're showing the hewitt and robredo at 6 (taped) and then at 8 is when they're gonna show andy and andres match live :)

superpinkone37
08-07-2004, 10:07 PM
actually since it was a really short match, they just said on espn2 that they are showing andy v. tommy haas from yesterday, then they will show hewitt v. robredo, and then agassi v. andy

andyroxmysox12191
08-07-2004, 10:11 PM
:woohoo: :banana: thank you and tangy :hug: :kiss:

Gigan
08-07-2004, 11:50 PM
I posted this on another thread:-

The way things stand at the moment, I see Roddick winning the match because:

- Andy is in the best form and shape of his life. He is extra determined and his win against Haas (a player who has owned him until yesterday) will give him extra incentive and confidence

- While Andre is still right up there in terms of his returning abilities, if Andy consistently hits the lines serving at 140+ MPH, I don't see him getting too much of a play, or even if he does get the ball back, he won't be able to do it often enough and get it back with enough meat on it to do any serious damage. However, Roddick needs to serve really well and consistently, and if he has a bit of an off serving day, I can definitely see Andre pose some prolems for him.

- As much as I hate to say this, age is a factor. As great as Andre's physical conditioning might be, he is still a step slower than when he himself was 21- and there is nothing you can do about it. With Andy's big power shots hitting the corners, even that fraction of a step could prove to be a decisive factor.

- Andy is coached by a certain Mr. Brad Gilbert, and there is hardly anyone on the planet that knows Agassi's game better than Gilbert- I expect he will have a few extra tips for his man on how to overcome the great Andre.

The keys to this match, as far as i can tell are:

1. Andy's serve, as was mentioned above.

2. Andre's consistency and versatility- if Andre can be patient with his shots, try to throw in a few angled shots, maybe even slice occassionaly, he has a much better chance. That is what Federer does so well against Roddick, breaks up his rythm, keeps him off balance, and keeps him guessing as to what type of shot he will play next.

3. Andre's footwork- to be able to 'execute' as he likes to say Andre needs his feet to be working tip top. If he is slightly sloppy and lazy on the footwork Andy will take him apart.

4. Andre's timing- if he can reproduce some of his old form, stick to the baseline without giving up too much ground and virtually half-volley some of Andy's big shots back like we know he can (which is what Fed does so well)- this will give Andy less time to react and force him into making mistakes. It remains to be seen, however, if he can do it on a consistent enough basis to be able to trouble Roddick.

So long analysis ...
Why? It's just sport...

May be this will help:
...."However, Roddick needs to serve really well and consistently, and if he has a bit of an off serving day, I can definitely see Andre pose some prolems for him"....

You are right... What can Roddick really do - only
..."hits the lines serving at 140+ MPH"...
and nothing more...

You will see again tonight, Andre can do everything...

RonE
08-07-2004, 11:58 PM
Well, whatever happens it better be a good match. It's now 3.00 am and I stayed up all night. Don't disappoint me boys!

elusive
08-08-2004, 12:42 AM
ahhhhh andy just got broken 5-6 in the 1st set! :sad:

btw anyone online now?

star
08-08-2004, 12:47 AM
Yes.......
we can add you to chat
what's the addy?

elusive
08-08-2004, 12:49 AM
paintedwiings@hotmail.com

Gigan
08-08-2004, 12:59 AM
It is already 7-5!!!

Go, go Andre!!!

Gigan
08-08-2004, 01:31 AM
Second goes harder, now 6-6...,

Go, go Andre!!!

Gigan
08-08-2004, 02:16 AM
Andre,
You are great !!!!!!
Andre def Roddick 7-5, 6-7, 7-6!!!!!!!
Winner Agassi!!!!!

TinyT
08-08-2004, 02:18 AM
congrats to andy, you played an awesome match :worship: , but the better player won. sorry babe, it wasn't you :rolleyes: i have a question, i somehow got into a convo with *i think* carito and star, but i signed off and didn't know how to get back, wat happened.

CONGRATULATIONS ANDRE!!!! :kiss:

Gigan
08-08-2004, 02:26 AM
Agassi 5-1 Roddick
That's it!

RoddickBabe10
08-08-2004, 02:26 AM
There is no doubt Andre is a better player than Andy.

RonE
08-08-2004, 02:27 AM
Well, I guess i'll have to eat my words. But what a match from Andre!!

It would have been bittersweet either way since both Andy and Andre are 2 of my favourite players. But still, I know you guys are sad Andy lost. Don't worry, he's young he will have many more good years ahead of him, but who knows how much longer Andre will be with us. We should cherish him for as long as possible.

One thing I didn't take into consideration was Agassi's serving, both 1st and 2nd serves. He never even faced a breakpoint :eek:. Truly awesome stuff!

I just hope he still has something left in the tank for tomorrow against Hewitt.

Nishy
08-08-2004, 02:30 AM

It would have been bittersweet either way since both Andy and Andre are 2 of my favourite players. But still, I know you guys are sad Andy lost. Don't worry, he's young he will have many more good years ahead of him, but who knows how much longer Andre will be with us. We should cherish him for as long as possible.

One thing I didn't take into consideration was Agassi's serving, both 1st and 2nd serves. He never even faced a breakpoint :eek:. Truly awesome stuff!

I just hope he still has something left in the tank for tomorrow against Hewitt.

RonE,

That is what I exactlly thought. :worship:
Sad Andy lost, but welcome back Andre!
And I just want to thank you Andy and Andre for showing us nice match.

Gigan
08-08-2004, 02:37 AM

Believe me, there is another guy,
who will show best tennis after Andre...
You can see him on my Avatar pic behind Andre..
David Nalbandian, remember him well!

Gud Luck for Andy too..

superpinkone37
08-08-2004, 02:49 AM
i think andre played a fab match...even thuough i was very disappointed andy lost. no break point faced-- wow that great for someone who is not known for their serve in particualar. i hope he isnt too tired for the final tomorrow, like someone said

RoddickBabe10
08-08-2004, 03:54 AM
Andre's serves were just amazing. He played a great match, both players did, but unfortunately today didn't go into Andy's favor. Oh well, RonE is right, Andy is young and who knows when Andre will be gone :worship: Andre has definitely proven a lot of people wrong. He is definitely back and I'm glad. So I thank both players as well for giving us a wonderful match!

Tomorrow's final, again, is between two of my favorite players. Good luck Andre and Lleyton! And Andy, please get some rest for the Olympics!

superpinkone37
08-08-2004, 04:09 AM
Oh well, RonE is right, Andy is young and who knows when Andre will be gone :worship: Andre has definitely proven a lot of people wrong. He is definitely back and I'm glad.

i agree with u especially on this-- i like andre, and though i obviously would have preferred that andy won, im not as disappointed as i normally am when andy loses. andre simple played some damn good tennis and he deserved the win. good luuck tomorrow andre!!

RonE
08-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Believe me, there is another guy,
who will show best tennis after Andre...
You can see him on my Avatar pic behind Andre..
David Nalbandian, remember him well!

Gud Luck for Andy too..

For sure, Nalbandian is a great player. But there is only one Andre Agassi ;)

Jennay
08-08-2004, 03:58 PM
:hug:

star
08-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Andre's been around for ages to cherish.

Just retire already!!!

I've heard all that bs before.... oh so and so will be around for years and the old guy won't be here much longer..... In sport the time is NOW. Andy can't be thinking that way because you never know in sport how many more chances you are going to get. Eveyone thought Connors would win many Wimbledon Championships, and that it would be nicer if old Rosewall got the trophy. But Connors didn't have as much success at Wimbledon as everyone thought he would. So, it's a good thing he nabbed that trophy and didn't let the old guy have it.

TinyT
08-08-2004, 05:33 PM
andre andre andre, i'm happy for you and all, but please lleyton, make us aussies proud!!!! :devil:

star
08-08-2004, 06:41 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LLEYTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oi! Oi! Oi!

Aussie!

Aussie!

Aussi!

Jennay
08-08-2004, 07:50 PM
star!! :lol:

TinyT
08-08-2004, 08:17 PM
that's right star, oi oi oi, lol :lol:

superpinkone37
08-08-2004, 08:20 PM
lol.....i rooting for andre though haha

Jennay
08-08-2004, 10:12 PM
Lleyton! :fiery: DF on MP down!!

tangerine_dream
08-08-2004, 10:21 PM
:worship: :bowdown:

ANDRE THE GREAT
HAS DONE IT AGAIN !!!!!!

:bowdown: :worship:

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

:yippee: :banana: He has now won an unprecedented 17th ATP Masters Series title!!!!!!! :yippee: :banana:

I couldn't be happier! I didn't stub my toe in vain after all (which is swollen and very black and blue, btw, I'm limping! Feel sorry for me! :awww: ) You all know how crabby I was at the beginning of this week: with Mardy having to retire due to injury, Roger crashing out, and Andy not looking like he was ready to play, I was convinced that Andre wouldn't make it past the third round. But once again, he proved me wrong. I feel so ashamed for doubting him. I'm not only a phony Federer and Roddick fan but now I'm also a phony Agassi fan! :bigcry: O Great Bald One, please forgive me for ever doubting your tennis greatness. :bowdown:

My top guys have now all won major titles this summer. I couldn't be more satisfied right now. A most excellent summer hardcourt adventure. Aaahhh! :smoke:

zoltan83
08-08-2004, 10:24 PM
For the final, I really don't know for who I was. I like Andre but also Lleyton. So I'm happy that Andre won but if Lleyton had won, I would be happy too lol

RonE
08-08-2004, 10:59 PM
Hope you feel better Tangy.

As for the match, wow wow and wow is all I can say. Great effort by Andre- I must admit I had some doubts myself but I am absolutely delireously happy right now :woohoo: :woohoo: :aparty: :aparty:

It seems as if this year all the really big names are excelling in these TMS events. So far all the TMS champions this year except one have been ranked #1 in the world at some stage in their carreers: Federer, Roddick, Moya and now Agassi. The exception to that being Coria.

snaillyyy
08-08-2004, 11:02 PM
You really did a number on that toe Tangy! :eek: :eek: Hope it feels better soon!! What you go thru for the guys ;)

superpinkone37
08-09-2004, 01:15 AM
lol and congrats andre, u really proved me, and many many others, wrong by showing u can still compete with the rest of em

andyroxmysox12191
08-09-2004, 02:01 AM
aaawww tangy :haha: i feel sorry yet im laughing hysterically :sobbing: and yay for andre :banana: he needed this! :banana:

tangerine_dream
08-09-2004, 02:06 AM
I'm glad my pain amuses you Mani. ;) And yes, Carly, I nailed my toe good. I actually thought I broke it :eek: but I can move it so it's ok, it's just looking black and icky right now. The things I do for Andre! :fiery: Well, I'll stub my other toe too if Andre can win another USO before he retires. :p

And won't star be thrilled when that happens? :lol:

Gigan
08-09-2004, 02:30 AM
For sure, Nalbandian is a great player. But there is only one Andre Agassi ;)

You are absolutely right!
There is only one Andre Agassi!
And Nalbandian is a great player!

Havok
08-09-2004, 02:47 AM
:drive:.

RoddickBabe10
08-09-2004, 06:25 AM
I was rooting for both players today! I didn't know who to root for, since Lleyton and Agassi are both my faves :confused: I am so incredibly happy that Andre won, though. I don't want him to retire yet, please, you can still do it! And Tangerine, I'd like Andre to win another GS before he retires too that would be :banana: :woohoo: by the way, feel better lol