QUALIFIER v (3) ROBREDO, Tommy ESP

(8) MOYA, Carlos ESP v ANDUJAR, Pablo ESP
MAYER, Leonardo ARG v JUNQUEIRA, Diego ARG
BELLUCCI, Thomaz BRA v DEVILDER, Nicolas FRA
QUALIFIER v (2) MONFILS, Gael FRA

http://www.abiertomexicanodetenis.com/

simplet
02-22-2009, 09:58 PM
I hope for him he took some spanish lessons.

That's a very good draw I think. Qualifier to start, just enough of a test on round two if he's rusty on clay, and the only good players in any kind of form in his half are Robredo, and maybe Monaco.

If he get to the finals he should play Nalbandian or Almagro if they don't lose before (which seems possible considering their current form, only I don't really see anyone capable of beating the two of them even on a bad day in their half).

All in all, he should be in the semi-finals at least, and has a good chance at a title.

TeamID
02-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Why exactly did Le Monf decide to play in Acapulco instead of Dubai?

Truc
02-23-2009, 09:19 AM
He didn't explain it clearly.
(It's La Monf, not Le Monf.)

Does anybody who his qualifier is? The qualifiers are Cuevas, KŲllerer, Patience and Ramirez, it won't be easy.

Truc
02-23-2009, 09:26 AM
It's not Cuevas, he's playing Chela today, but I can't find the updated draw, this tournament is a joy to follow...

simplet
02-23-2009, 10:01 AM
They updated the draw with the qualifiers. He plays Patience : it's not a bad draw for him, but he might send home the only two other fenchies in the first two rounds!

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2009/807/mds.pdf

Truc
02-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks! It's strange, your link only opens a PDF saying "-Tournament Information Not Yet Available-" here.

Yep, Patience was the best option imo. He lost to him last year in the Rome qualies, but it was a retirement, he had a stiff neck.
(He was still playing qualies against guys like Patience last year during the clay season!)

lisaplenske
02-23-2009, 02:42 PM
I thought he would play dubai but acapulco is logic decision since he wants to try different things ,preparation to make a very good roland garros.
Good and Courageous experience imo.

Allez Gael!

Truc
02-24-2009, 06:49 AM
4th match of the day today, so it will be pretty late for us in Europe (-7 hours in Acapulco and he should start around 5pm local time).
No joke, Gaël, please. You need to win at least 2 matches to stay in the top 10. Nico D lost, Bellucci is waiting in the 2nd round.

lisaplenske
02-24-2009, 10:02 AM
I just checked the l'Equipe website and saw that gael reached top10 for the first time of his career
congrats!:kiss::yeah:
can he pass verdasco and reach 9 ranking?what result in acapulco has he to do?

Truc
02-24-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm not an expert at all, but I think he can with a QF.
But as I said, he first needs to win his first 2 matches or Jo will pass him and Gaël will be out of the top 10 again.

Truc
02-24-2009, 11:42 AM
He is on the DC team.

Jess22
02-24-2009, 01:58 PM
In DC Team and top 10 great news :) Hopefully he can keep it up

Tess Gray
02-24-2009, 07:24 PM
No livestream unfortunately:( So I guess we'll just have to watch the scoreboard...

It's so exciting that he's top ten :yeah: great achievement:D And selected for DC... :worship:

simplet
02-25-2009, 12:34 AM
I put some money on him winning the tournament, and I almost never bet. He better deliver now!

Truc
02-25-2009, 06:32 AM
I have much lower expectations, I'm already relieved he beat Olivier Patience. It must be really hard to face guys who have been playing in those conditions for weeks unlike him.
I see Almagro complains about the heat and it looks hot in the pics indeed!

He was leading 3-1 in the 1st set, but Olivier broke back immediately. I didn't follow the 2nd set.

In an all-French opener, No. 2 seed Gael Monfils put together an excellent serving performance - firing 17 aces and winning 31 of his 32 first serve points - to beat Oliver Patience 7-6(4), 6-4.
"It is never easy to play a countryman," Monfils said. "I didn't have much time to adapt to the climate and the surface but I'm sure tomorrow I will play better. I felt a good connection with the crowd here in Acapulco. I think they like to see a show and I love that. It was great to play in front of them today."
http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/1/en/news/newsarticle_2342.asp

Truc
02-25-2009, 06:35 AM
He's never played against Bellucci before.
2nd match of the day, matches start at 3 pm. There should be a livestream this time, but it will start around midnight for us in Europe.

Puschkin
02-25-2009, 06:37 AM
"I didn't have much time to adapt to the climate and the surface.....
Then why the hell did you go there? :o

Keijan
02-25-2009, 08:43 AM
Nalbi lost to an obscure qualifier. I'm beginning to think that if GaŽl doesn't win this tournament, it will be very embarrassing :angel:

simplet
02-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Nalbi lost to an obscure qualifier. I'm beginning to think that if Gaël doesn't win this tournament, it will be very embarrassing :angel:

This is what I'm thinking. Join me! I mean, I don't believe he's playing that well at the moment, but I've seen him go very deep in tournaments playing really badly, I think that's really one of his strenghs. And everyone else there is so terrible at the moment, he should be ok.

And he'll want to honor his new top 10 rank. Really, I believe the only real danger (save a brain explosion) is his semi-final now that Nalby is gone.

edit : Monaco lost too? Better and better

Keijan
02-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Wow, MTF is totally crazy today. I posted a reply, then it appeared 5 times on the board, so I tried deleting one and now they're all gone :confused:

So Almagro is his possible semi right ? He was quite scary at last clay season but GaŽl made it a step further in Roland, so every dream is allowed.

simplet
02-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Wow, MTF is totally crazy today. I posted a reply, then it appeared 5 times on the board, so I tried deleting one and now they're all gone :confused:

So Almagro is his possible semi right ? He was quite scary at last clay season but GaŽl made it a step further in Roland, so every dream is allowed.

Nope his possible semi is Robredo (who lost a set yesterday to Ramirez-Hidalgo), he can only met Almagro in the finals. I'm not sure if Almagro is going to go this far though, these last two weeks he lost to Frederico Gil and Oscar Hernandez...

Truc
02-25-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm keeping my expectations low because Gaël is just arriving from the European indoors tournaments, but Acapulco sure is a great opportunity otherwise, look at the 2nd round and the guys Almagro will have to beat to reach a 500 final (Montanes seeded #6, he is a Challenger player and never wins a match on the main tour lately)...

KOELLERER, Daniel AUT v MARTIN, Alberto ESP
VASSALLO ARGUELLO, Martin ARG v (7) GRANOLLERS, Marcel ESP

(4) ALMAGRO, Nicolas ESP v STARACE, Potito ITA
GIMENO-TRAVER, Daniel ESP v (6) MONTANES, Albert ESP

(5) ACASUSO, Jose ARG v (WC) CHELA, Juan Ignacio ARG
KIM, Kevin USA v (3) ROBREDO, Tommy ESP

(8) MOYA, Carlos ESP v MAYER, Leonardo ARG
BELLUCCI, Thomaz BRA v (2) MONFILS, Gael FRA

Truc
02-26-2009, 06:22 AM
7-6 (7/4) 6-7 (5/7) 6-1, sounds like he made new friends according to GM. :angel: He does look a bit pumped up in the 3rd set in the highlights.
(I can't get the interviews to work on tennistv.com, it says they have an interview of Gaël, but I don't find it...)

Leonardo Mayer now, not before 9pm (good for him as it seems to be very hot, but I won't stand up at 4 to watch that).
They've never played before.

Truc
02-26-2009, 10:58 AM
I just realized he should also pass Verdasco and be #9 on Monday with this QF.

lisaplenske
02-26-2009, 12:02 PM
I just realized he should also pass Verdasco and be #9 on Monday with this QF.

great news for him:D

I hope he'll win the whole thing.He has to play better though.Robredo seems confident those days...

Truc
02-26-2009, 02:39 PM
He hasn't passed Verdasco yet according to duong, sorry!
If Verdasco goes to Dubai to make some promotion activities, he will stay at #9.

Keijan
02-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Yeah, or if he stays injured for 30 days. Why is that, do you have any idea ? classement protégé or sth ?

Tess Gray
02-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Gael Gael, what did I hear?:o Have you been a nasty boy in the 3rd set today? Tsk tsk... Well, a win is a win:D Even if it's an ugly one:lol:

Truc
02-26-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm not sure either how it works, Marion, I guess that if Nando is injured long enough, Dubai won't count as a zero in his ranking breakdown, but I don't know at all the new rules for the 500 tournaments. :shrug:

According to the guy of GM.com who watched Gaël's match yesterday, it really wasn't that bad (his behaviour, I mean, he agrees his game was way too defensive). He found the 3rd set quite funny. He says it when Gaël is embarrassing, I trust him for this kind of things. People often think Gaël's antics are directed at the opponent, but he does that for himself and for the crowd most of the time imo.
Gaël said after his first round that the Acapulco crowd seems to appreciate a bit of a show, I immediately thought he was probably going to overdo it a bit!

simplet
02-26-2009, 05:31 PM
I think that Verdasco thing is because he withdrew late from Dubai, so he has to either show that he has a serious injury, or do something to promote the tournament, otherwise he'll get a 0 and one of his other results will drop.

I'm certainly hoping that Gael manages at least to go to the semifinals though. The field in this tournament is an absolute tragedy. His opponent in the quarter has won two matches on the main tour in his entire life. :eek:

Truc
02-26-2009, 05:45 PM
:lol: Add 2 more for Acapulco. Including a win over a former world number 1. Leo is playing the tournament of his life.

Gaël should win indeed.

But his half of the draw is quite tough compared to the upper half!

Keijan
02-26-2009, 06:12 PM
:rolls: it's such a shame that Jo didn't play anywhere this week. Or else Forget would have had to handle the journalists alone on saturday, I can totally imagine the scene "yeah, they're all super motivated I swear, except hem... not a single one is there today." Unless Mika would try to disguise himself in all the others to make the journos believe everyone was there :lol:

soulage
02-26-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm listening the podcast of Carrement Tennis and as expected the journalist are rude about his choice of Acapulco lol : for money & women :devil:

Truc
02-26-2009, 08:31 PM
"C'est même pas un tacle, là, je vais le décoiffer pour l'année, le Gaël Monfils: c'est du GRAND n'importe quoi, il n'a RIEN à foutre à Acapulco!" :lol:

The journalists say Acapulco is known for being a huge party and that's the only reason why all the players go there. All the Spaniards and South Americans partying together, that makes sense - but Gaël?
I have already thought of a possible story with a girl too because of the mixed event. It was quick then, because he entered it just after Doha, but everything is possible with him.
I can't believe it's just for the money since he could have played Dubai.
I still think he might have made a statement about DC with that move. Forget said that there was a misunderstanding with a player, but that everything was cleared up in Melbourne. If it was Gaël, I can imagine him enter Acapulco on an impulse then.
It cracks me up, we will never know why the hell he is playing Acapulco. :rolls:

(I had forgotten about "Carrément tennis" again, thanks for reminding me, I've only listened to a few bits so far, but it's funny. I love the part about the atmosphere in DC, that's exactly how I imagine it. :devil: I almost feel bad for Forget!)

real_995
02-27-2009, 04:51 AM
its not good win but it win he play very defence the good thing his fitness he has no problem in it the next game hard he must be very foucs and aggressive if he win he had big shot for title its your time gael plz

Truc
02-27-2009, 06:30 AM
I can't enter GM, so I don't know what they say about this beautiful win, unfortunately. :p
Did you watch it, real? Did he behave? He says in his video interview that the first set was quite good and he's feeling well physically, it' the most important for me.
I take any win in Acapulco, even ugly ones, I just don't want him to get injured.

Chucho next, they've never played before. Last match of the day again (-> around 4:00-5:00 for us in Europe...)

Tess Gray
02-27-2009, 12:42 PM
So what exactly is being said in these podcasts? I can't download them I think:sad:

I'm listening the podcast of Carrement Tennis and as expected the journalist are rude about his choice of Acapulco lol : for money & women:devil:
:rolls: Well you can't blame the poor fellow, can you?

Truc
02-27-2009, 04:27 PM
So what exactly is being said in these podcasts? I can't download them I think:sad:You mean the part about Gaël? The whole podcast is one hour long, there are like 30 minutes about Jo, then a part about Gaël and the Davis Cup and the end is about the WTA (Razzano). They're also talking about things "behind the scenes", how the players are in person, etc. and they ask very direct questions, like: everybody is loving Jo atm, but will people start to find him annoying after a while? How are they going to establish a team spirit in DC with some of the new guys being quite individualistic? This kind of stuff, it's funny.

But there is nothing else in the part about Gaël, they just wonder why the heck he's playing in Acapulco and a journalist says he has heard it's for the money and because of a girl.
They explain a little bit what kind of tournament Acapulco is and imply that Gaël just wanted to party and have fun and it's a joke he's playing there.
They mean it will cost him his spot in Davis Cup. Forget had suggested him to tank since it obviously is a mistake to play there a few days before the DC tie, but Gaël is making a statement by winning his first round matches according to a journalist.

I don't remember the rest, I listened to it yesterday evening...
Thanks God Gaël is trying to win his matches now that he's come all the way from Europe! I still think he has a chance to play in DC if he does well there and is full of confidence. He was doing OK in Rotterdam on a similar surface before he got sick.

Here is the direct link:
http://media.rtl.fr/online/sound/2009/0226/3584903_Carrement-tennis-du-26-02-09.mp3

xhr75019
02-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Sport+ will broadcast Gaël's match against Acasuso tomorrow at 9.30 am

soulage
02-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Jose did well since the start of South-America season. It's a big test for Gael but he match is too late to be watched.

For the spot in DC he has still his chance, the train in Ostrava will decide many things imo because for the moment Gilles is a little bit nervous & Richard still not convincing :devil:

Truc
02-28-2009, 05:53 AM
:yeah: 6-3 6-4.
I didn't watch it, but the match reports sound like he's improving. Peaking for the final.
Same as in Melbourne now, please!

The h2h:
2006 Barcelona Clay (O) N.ALMAGRO 2-6 4-6
2008 Olympic Tennis Event - Beijing Hard (O) G.MONFILS 6-4 3-6 6-3
2009 Australian Open Hard (O) G.MONFILS 6-4 6-3 7-5

Truc
02-28-2009, 09:06 AM
krystlel's article about the Acapulco semi-finals:
http://mvn.com/tennisdiary/2009/02/almagro-and-monfils-square-off-in-the-acapulco-final.html

xhr75019
02-28-2009, 09:51 AM
I saw part of it. GaŽl was very solid and focused, leading all the way through. Very few UE from his part.

Both players were spitting on the ground every other point. It's really apalling, somebody should tell them :)

Tess Gray
02-28-2009, 09:54 AM
:bigclap: yay in the final:D

He has a good shot at winning this, although Almagro on clay can be quite dangerous.:unsure: Allez Gael:hug:

Keijan
02-28-2009, 10:17 AM
The final will be played at 9pm, so around 4am in France (GMT+1)
http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2009/807/op.pdf
I feel lazy, but I don't want him to win his first tournament since Sopot without my watching a single match :lol

Tess Gray
02-28-2009, 10:29 AM
I know I was feeling a little guilty myself:rolls:
But I really don't like Almagro, so I doubt I will get up for this one.:o

amdany
02-28-2009, 01:14 PM
I know I was feeling a little guilty myself:rolls:
But I really don't like Almagro, so I doubt I will get up for this one.:o

same here:o

soulage
02-28-2009, 01:22 PM
I saw no matches of gael in acapulco :sad: but it's time to win a title guy :devil:

Truc
02-28-2009, 01:24 PM
We make a great fanbase, not even watching him play his first 500 final. :lol:
I won't watch it either unless I have a sleepless night.

lisaplenske
02-28-2009, 04:02 PM
I was a little nervous for gael when I knew he would face acasuso who himself beat robredo but well gael is not like every one else.
great job gael for your first ig finale this year,hoping you'll take it.

Allez!

xhr75019
02-28-2009, 04:56 PM
It's supposed to be on Sport+ at 1pm tomorrow.

Truc
03-01-2009, 03:20 AM
I woke up, so I got up to watch.
:help:
He's choking! One set and one break down already, he's really developing a problem with finals.
It's not like Almagro is playing out of his mind, at least since I've been watching.
Rasheed is there - with a superb tan, I think he has enjoyed the little trip to Acapulco.
The return is poor, the BH nothing special, the movement not as good as it can be...

Truc
03-01-2009, 03:29 AM
6-4 5-3*, we'll need a little help from Nico here...
:(

His dropshots are better than usual (= the two dropshots I've seen).
Solid hold, but Nico didn't look like he was trying too hard. 6-4 *5-4.

Truc
03-01-2009, 03:33 AM
Horrible last game, he had his chance in the rallies, but made 3 UE.

I'm not pissed at all to have gotten up to see this, GaŽl...

Truc
03-01-2009, 06:57 AM
He admits in his post-match interview he was too defensive, he wasn't hitting the ball very well today and he seems to have a little problem in finals.
Indeed!

He started his speech in Spanish, btw, and then switched to English because it was easier. He looked pretty uncomfortable during his speech, it was funny.

Tess Gray
03-01-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm not pissed at all to have gotten up to see this, GaŽl...
He started his speech in Spanish, btw, and then switched to English because it was easier. He looked pretty uncomfortable during his speech, it was funny.
:lol:

Gael:hug: At least he made it to the final, which obviously is a great achievement!:D

Keijan
03-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Especially since he didn't sleep for a week, too busy drinking and partying with hot mexican women :angel:

He definitely has a second tattoo on his left wrist. Seriously, GaŽl :fiery:

Truc
03-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Hard to call that "a great achievement", it would have been a really poor performance to lose to the guys he's played on his road to the final.

People say Almagro was great, but GaŽl really wasn't pressuring him at all, the very few times he did Almagro wasn't looking that safe imo.
So frustrating to see GaŽl crumble like that in finals, I don't get it, the PŲrtschach and the Vienna finals were so poor too - not one single set won against Monaco, Petzschner and Almagro! He says it himself:
World number 10 Monfils was disappointed with his performance.
"When I get to the final I have a hard time," he said. "Today in particular I didn't handle it well. I wasn't aggressive enough but it's something I will work on and hopefully get better at.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/tennisNews/idUKL156851520090301

Truc
03-01-2009, 01:27 PM
He will arrive in France on Monday morning and leave for Ostrava in the afternoon so he can start practicing on Tuesday with the others.
But it sounds like he will be the 5th man anyway. He needed to win Acapulco to be back in the race.

soulage
03-01-2009, 01:45 PM
1 win and 6 loss in finals :eek: It starts to be a problem especially it's always in two sets.