Rotterdam SF- R. Nadal defeats G. Monfils 6-4 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rotterdam SF- R. Nadal defeats G. Monfils 6-4 6-4

federernadalfan
02-14-2009, 07:31 PM
expected win from rafa
monfils suffered from stomach problems

Richardgm
02-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Trophy time, no?

Byrd
02-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Watching Nadal play is a good cure for insomnia.

asmazif
02-14-2009, 07:33 PM
terrible result. Monfils had break points in virtually every Nadal service game, while Nadal simply fed of one freak poor Monfils service game per set.

TMJordan
Seriously never ending lucky for pigboy. A healthy Monfils would have beaten him easily here. What a joke.

CescAndyKimi
Murray victory, no?

HattonWBA
Yh Rafa played well, Monfils struggled but played inspired tennis in the second set especially towards the end of the match, however Nadal finally refuses to play a deciding set and marches into the final

Tom_Bombadil
02-14-2009, 07:34 PM

:lol: :lol: At least you have something good to say about him. Hope you had a peaceful sleep. ;)

rafa_maniac
02-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Nice revenge scoreline :devil: As for the match, Rafa was unspectacular, but got the job done in quicker fashion this time which is the main thing. Monfils battled on, never finding truly impressive form, but he didn't seem hampered in any of the long rallies by whatever was bothering him. No idea what's going to happen in tomorrow's final, though I'm expecting the worst :sad:

tangerine_dream
02-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Rafa and his endless luck. :devil: Monfils is quite the drama queen.

Good luck to Rafa in the final.

Byrd
They had a 45 stroke rally, even indoor courts play like clay now, absolute joke.

Andi-M
What a crowd pleaser this Monfils is. love his fighting spirit.

Nadal is relentless. Decent performance his best this week.

alter ego
What a waste of time and talent this Monfils guy.
Watch out there zou moonball lovers, tomorrow's gonna be a classic:zzz:

CescAndyKimi
02-14-2009, 07:36 PM
:lol: :lol: At least you have something good to say about him. Hope you had a peaceful sleep. ;)

You can't spell 'Olympic'. Your sig.

justsumma
Hmm, in what form will lady luck strike for the pig tomorrow? Hang on, hasn't Murray already twisted his ankle?

HeretiC
This would have been a good battle and match if Monfils was healthy and played like he did in the 8th game in the second set. :shrug:

superslam77
moonball wars!

not a healthy player with balls on tour... can't believe a player wins so much by others mistakes. now murray is injured as well?

l_mac
Hope Monfils pulls through. He looked close to death :tears:

l_mac
02-14-2009, 07:37 PM
This would have been a good battle and match if Monfils was healthy and played like he did in the 8th game in the second set. :shrug:

:haha:

delpiero7
They had a 45 stroke rally, even indoor courts play like clay now, absolute joke.

How do you know this, seeing as you were asleep?

CescAndyKimi
Hmm, in what form will lady luck strike for the pig tomorrow? Hang on, hasn't Murray already twisted his ankle?

In what form? Hmmm no idea, maybe his imposing physique coupled with his immense talent?

vincayou
Monfils is quite enjoyable to watch. He always seems to suffer from something though. That's part of the drama stuff I guess.

Tom_Bombadil
Rafa and his endless luck. :devil: Monfils is quite the drama queen.

Good luck to Rafa in the final.

I agree on this. I simply don't quite understand the show some players do. It can make no good for themselves, so I suspect they do it to trouble the opponent.

CescAndyKimi
02-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Murray should be alright by tomorrow, hate the way people are coming to conclusions with his 'injury'.

Björki
02-14-2009, 07:39 PM
easy one :)

Byrd
02-14-2009, 07:40 PM
How do you know this, seeing as you were asleep?

When did I say I was sleeping?, just made a comment about Nadal's game. There was indeed a 45 stroke rally, Monfils won it.

vincayou
I agree on this. I simply don't quite understand the show some players do. It can make no good for themselves, so I suspect they do it to trouble the opponent.

I suspect he's doing it for the public. Monfils is not of the Djoko fake injury type.

philosophicalarf
Monfils is quite enjoyable to watch. He always seems to suffer from something though. That's part of the drama stuff I guess.

Well, he did throw up mid-match against Llodra, so not like he's just making it up :-) Wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason for his bathroom break after the first set today either, given his colour when he returned.

Voo de Mar
02-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Hope Monfils pulls through. He looked close to death :tears:

Are you being sarcastic?

CescAndyKimi
02-14-2009, 07:41 PM
I suspect he's doing it for the public. Monfils is not of the Djoko fake injury type.

I suspect you're dumb.

Byrd
02-14-2009, 07:43 PM

Nah, I wouldn't wanna give Nadal the props, I'll rather carry on drinking..

HeretiC
:haha:

Sweety, I told you before, so sorry but you can't have me, I am already taken. Go girl, find your yahoo somewhere else. :yeah:

Nathaliia
Monfils was sick and Nadal was rubbish, pain to watch, great for Valentines.

HeretiC
02-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Well, he did throw up mid-match against Llodra, so not like he's just making it up :-) Wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason for his bathroom break after the first set today either, given his colour when he returned.

It wasn't a bathroom break, it was an off court medical timeout .

VamosNadal175
02-14-2009, 07:50 PM

yes it should have been faster. good nonetheless :hug:

final could be equal ugly

star
02-14-2009, 07:50 PM

terrible result. Monfils had break points in virtually every Nadal service game, while Nadal simply fed of one freak poor Monfils service game per set.

Seriously never ending lucky for pigboy. A healthy Monfils would have beaten him easily here. What a joke.

What a waste of time and talent this Monfils guy.
Watch out there zou moonball lovers, tomorrow's gonna be a classic:zzz:

moonball wars!

not a healthy player with balls on tour... can't believe a player wins so much by others mistakes. now murray is injured as well?

:worship: :worship:

Tennis connoisseurs all.

Clara Bow
02-14-2009, 07:52 PM
For the Rafa-haters ranting that Rafa will be lucky because Murray will be playing on one leg in the final- from Europsport

From Eurosport:

Murray, who will face world number one Rafael Nadal or France's Gael Monfils in the final, said he would not play in Marseille next week, partly out of concern for an ankle problem he had after his quarter-final.

"It felt uncomfortable 20 minutes after yesterday's quarter-final," Murray said after the match. "I hope it will not be a problem for the final. It didn't bother me today as I played really well."

He added: "The physiotherapist examined my ankle but could not find any damage.

I hope both players are in tip top shape tomorrow. I just find it funny that so many of the Rafa hata posters are quick to say Rafa is soo lucky because all of his oppenents are injured/ill, etc. while at the same time saying that any time he has had any physical issues (see USO 2007)- it is fake, nothing, etc.

As for today- I was impressed with Gael's fighting spirit. Not always the best match from either player- but still some fun points. Rafa was playing further up in the court- and I Gael can be fun to watch.

delpiero7
02-14-2009, 07:57 PM
It's not luck anyway - it's good karma.

Haters have never experienced it seeing as they always seemed to be filled with disappointment and rage.

LinkMage
02-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the cash Nadull.

HeretiC
02-14-2009, 08:00 PM
:worship: :worship:

Tennis connoisseurs all.

So by your judgment this was a great match and Monfils was healthy and played his best... :worship::worship::worship:

GlennMirnyi
02-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Monfils might be the worst player ever I think.

LinkMage
02-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Don't answer to the Nadull fangirls. They have no clue whatsoever about tennis. They just like to drool over Rafito's muscles.

madmax
02-14-2009, 08:04 PM
the moonballing fiest with 50 strokes in the second set really emphasized this match well...that's even funnier is that Monfails won that point:bigclap: Now even on fast indoor hard this is a useful tactic...tennis is dead

Clara Bow
02-14-2009, 08:06 PM
So by your judgment this was a great match and Monfils was healthy and played his best... :worship::worship::worship:

Maybe not everyone agrees that the court is slow as Hamburg just becuase Rafa won? Or that every single shot hit by Rafa is a "moonball"? Or that Rafa only wins ever because he is lucky and never because of talent or play?

Your comment was not bad at all in the quoting- but a lot of them were the usual Rafa is only a moonballer who can never, ever, ever hit any other shot but a moonball with no talent and unending luck variety. :yawn:

It is a shame that Gael was not 100% today- but at the same time- the constant "moonball" and "luck' comments ...well, they are not my cup of tea. Not to forget the constant dismissal by a number of Rafa haters that just because someone may disagree with them about Rafa- that must mean they are nothing but shallow fangirls who know nothing about tennis. We don't have to all like the same player, but I find it hard to discuss tennis here at times- because it reverts to catch phrases and dismissal of the intellect of anyone who does not share the same viewpoint and/or has a different preference.

«Ivan»
02-14-2009, 08:10 PM

lucky bastard rafa:(
'n ugly(can't look at his face)

HeretiC
02-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Maybe not everyone agrees that the court is slow as Hamburg just becuase Rafa won? Or that every single shot hit by Rafa is a "moonball"? Or that Rafa only wins ever because he is lucky and never because of talent or play?

Your comment was not bad at all in the quoting- but a lot of them were the usual Rafa is only a moonballer who can never, ever, ever hit any other shot but a moonball with no talent and unending luck variety. :yawn;

It is a shame that Gael was not 100% today- but at the same time- the constant "moonball" and "luck' comments ...well, they are not my cup of tea. Not to forget the constant dismissal by a number of Rafa haters that just because someone may disagree with them about Rafa- that must mean they are nothing but shallow fangirls who know nothing about tennis. we don't have to all like the same player, but I find it hard to discuss tennis here at times- because it reverts to catch phrases and dismissal of the intellect of anyone who does not share the same viewpoint and/or has a different preference.

I never said anything about court speed or Nadal's play. I actually like his matchups against defenders where he is forced to play closer to the baseline and inside the court and charge the net.

Clara Bow
02-14-2009, 08:17 PM
I never said anything about court speed or Nadal's play. I actually like his matchups against defenders where he is forced to play closer to the baseline and inside the court and charge the net.

That's why I said your quote was not part of the usual moonball and slow court mantra. :)

I agree- as a fan (although you may not be) I do like to see him have to come in and alter his game. He may not always win, but I like to see him add more aggressive aspects to his game. I do like seeing players making adjustments.

malisha
02-14-2009, 08:17 PM

yes he is

justsumma
02-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Don't answer to the Nadull fangirls. They have no clue whatsoever about tennis. They just like to drool over Rafito's muscles. Ass to be precise

RedFury
02-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Ass to be precise

I take it you're quite the expert on the topic.

---

Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Vamos Rafa!

HeretiC
02-14-2009, 08:24 PM
That's why I said your quote was not part of the usual moonball and slow court mantra. :)

I agree- as a fan I do like to see him have to come in and alter his game. He may not always win, but I like to see him add more aggressive aspects to his game.

He has won almost every one of those matches where he played like that, so it is not like he is lacking in a skills department for that kind of play. He usually choses to not to play like that, but against players like Monfils he is forced to. But Monfils was too sick today and too slow on footwork to provide better defense.

Bazooka
02-14-2009, 08:25 PM
How many victories before it stops being luck?

Rafa haters are really setting new standards for idiocy. Don't like his style? fine. Stop babbling about luck, you're embarassing yourselves. He is vastly superior to everyone he has faced so far, it's not luck.

peterparker
02-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Easy victory for the vamoooosinator. On to facing the only rival who looks to be still standing. :) Although you have to believe that djokovic is going to come back at some point.

Good luck to Capt. Clay-Grass-HardcourtAmerica tomorrow,

star
02-14-2009, 08:27 PM

:rolleyes:

Think what you want. Or don't think what you want.

peterparker
02-14-2009, 08:30 PM

what do you think about tomorrow's match? I haven't seen murray play in a long while.

star
02-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Easy victory for the vamoooosinator. On to facing the only rival who looks to be still standing. :) Although you have to believe that djokovic is going to come back at some point.

Good luck to Capt. Clay-Grass-HardcourtAmerica tomorrow,

I hope Djokovic does come back. That will make it still more exciting. I like to see many players playing well and at the top of their games.

I think Murray may be a bridge too far tomorrow, but I still hope for a Nadal victory.

star
02-14-2009, 08:32 PM
what do you think about tomorrow's match? I haven't seen murray play in a long while.

Ha! I answered your question before I saw it. :lol:

peterparker
02-14-2009, 08:33 PM
I hope Djokovic does come back. That will make it still more exciting. I like to see many players playing well and at the top of their games.

I think Murray may be a bridge too far tomorrow, but I still hope for a Nadal victory.

I would guess that they are still close in level on hardcourts, should be an interesting match, hope nadal wins.

Cloudygirl
02-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Ass to be precise

:devil::worship:

peterparker
02-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Ha! I answered your question before I saw it. :lol:

:). Actually monfils will turn out to be a good warmup for murray. Obviously mooray's got a bit more game, but if nadal can close in on the net like in the 1st set of the monfils match, he can keep it close.

peterparker
02-14-2009, 08:38 PM
:devil::worship:

You are not worthy of ass?! :eek: what? :eek:

«Ivan»
02-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Ass to be precise

that's not ass,that's kilimanjaro.

Corey Feldman
02-14-2009, 09:38 PM
props to Monf for even turning up

HeretiC
02-14-2009, 09:46 PM

I do, the question is did you think at all when you quoted me or did you even read it before pressing multi-quote?

l_mac
02-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Are you being sarcastic?
Maybe.
No, she knows Rafa only won (like all his victories) because Monfils was at death's door/playing terribly :wavey:
Monfils might be the worst player ever I think.
:lol: It's not often we agree, but I think you mightbe right :kiss:
Glance down further. Personally I liike his face, but his other attributes shine brighter still :inlove:

Fr me, even though Djoko is far from my favourite :o, there is no "come back" for Nole. Yes, he had a disappointing AO, but a lot of that was due to unfortunate circumstances. And the 2nd half of his season in 08 wasn't what everyone hoped it might be, but his only bad loss was to Safin at Wimbledon. Only a moron wouldn't expect Nole to be seriously competing for every big title from now till the WTF.

that's not ass,that's kilimanjaro.

:drool:

chooper :hearts:

ChinoRios4Ever
02-15-2009, 12:29 AM
pure "luck" :p

HeretiC
02-15-2009, 12:30 AM
No, she knows Rafa only won (like all his victories) because Monfils was at death's door/playing terribly :wavey:

Then feel free to quote me to death when I say something like that. And from the sentence that this would have been a better match if Monfils was healthy don't ASSume that I meant that Nadal was lucky and would have lose otherwise, despite the fact that he did lose only one month ago against the same player.

P.S. Federer "earned" so many haters in here due to an obnoxious behavior of a few tards attacking everyone who were not bowing to their idol during the time of his reign. Looks like the history is repeating itself. I just wonder if the new exemplars will retain the same level of obnoxiousness or will they be even worse?:scratch:

connectolove
02-15-2009, 02:16 AM
From Eurosport:

Murray, who will face world number one Rafael Nadal or France's Gael Monfils in the final, said he would not play in Marseille next week, partly out of concern for an ankle problem he had after his quarter-final.

"It felt uncomfortable 20 minutes after yesterday's quarter-final," Murray said after the match. "I hope it will not be a problem for the final. It didn't bother me today as I played really well."

He added: "The physiotherapist examined my ankle but could not find any damage.

This sounds as a "before the fact excuse in case I lose" from Murray ... Murray still has a good chance to win in the final because he is a great player. My heart goes to Rafa, I love the man and he deserves the #1 place. GO NADAL!!!!

FairWeatherFan
02-15-2009, 02:36 AM
the moonballing fiest with 50 strokes in the second set really emphasized this match well...that's even funnier is that Monfails won that point Now even on fast indoor hard this is a useful tactic...tennis is dead

Great post and completely true.

HarryMan
02-15-2009, 02:57 AM
Too good, I really respect this guy more than I ever did before. I say because, he had an option whether to go over to SA and win those clay events, without much physical effort at all, or play these fast hard court events and try to win. He decided to compete on his weakest surface and has now reached the final. No, I don't think he deserves extra credit for that, but when you're a good clay court player (or as in Nadal's case simply untouchable on that surface), most would choose to play events on that surface at every opportunity they get. I really like his attitude and will to win.

Although I would enjoy a roasting tommorow and everything (sorry Rafatards, cant help it :p), his achievements are something phenomenal already.

Mimi
02-15-2009, 03:24 AM
yes Byrd should pay rafa monies for curing him and should not bad mouth him ;)

Mimi
02-15-2009, 03:39 AM
then you must be very good looking right, show us your photo :wavey::p

Mimi
02-15-2009, 03:43 AM
thank you HarryMan, very fair post:wavey:

Too good, I really respect this guy more than I ever did before. I say because, he had an option whether to go over to SA and win those clay events, without much physical effort at all, or play these fast hard court events and try to win. He decided to compete on his weakest surface and has now reached the final. No, I don't think he deserves extra credit for that, but when you're a good clay court player (or as in Nadal's case simply untouchable on that surface), most would choose to play events on that surface at every opportunity they get. I really like his attitude and will to win.

Although I would enjoy a roasting tommorow and everything (sorry Rafatards, cant help it :p), his achievements are something phenomenal already.

JolánGagó
02-15-2009, 06:39 AM
Don't answer to the Nadull fangirls. They have no clue whatsoever about tennis. They just like to drool over Rafito's muscles.

You on other hand are a true connesseur even though have no time to watch tennis drooling over other people's vcash :rolleyes:

JolánGagó
02-15-2009, 06:42 AM

Just thinking would be an achievement.

rafa_maniac
02-15-2009, 06:50 AM
but I find it hard to discuss tennis here at times-

:spit: Wait... when is it EVER possible to sensibly discuss tennis on this site :confused:

Aenea
02-15-2009, 08:30 AM

I cannot good rep you again but take this reply as a green dot in your CP. You are an endangered species :D

Erica86
02-15-2009, 09:05 AM

Your comments say a lot about your understanding of the game.
Why did Nadal decide to play Rotterdam? He's already said to the Spanish press several times. This year my main goal is the US Open. He has already started preparing that event, even if he doesn't win in Holland.

Corey Feldman
02-15-2009, 09:09 AM
good old Rafa :worship: not playing those MM south American events and giving the rest a chance to win then :bowdown:

US Open is his goal, good, hope he fcuks up Wimbledon then

JolánGagó
02-15-2009, 09:50 AM
he's gonna give up RG so Rogelia can have a career slam :worship:

l_mac
02-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Then feel free to quote me to death when I say something like that. And from the sentence that this would have been a better match if Monfils was healthy don't ASSume that I meant that Nadal was lucky and would have lose otherwise, despite the fact that he did lose only one month ago against the same player.
WTF are you talking about, Satellite Sam?

P.S. Federer "earned" so many haters in here due to an obnoxious behavior of a few tards attacking everyone who were not bowing to their idol during the time of his reign. Looks like the history is repeating itself. I just wonder if the new exemplars will retain the same level of obnoxiousness or will they be even worse?:scratch:

:lol: Sing me another song SS. Rafa has already far more haters here than Federer ever did.

Black Adam
02-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Nonsense that Murray is playing the injured card again, in Doha he was supposedly injured and handily won the final.

HeretiC
02-15-2009, 12:02 PM
WTF are you talking about, Satellite Sam?

Exactly, I suspected you won't have a clue anway... Not having a yahoo can seriously damage your brain. Scary stuff. :unsure: When a person is eager even to bite her own ass if it crosses in front of her face, it is definitely a smart choice to stay away from that person.

P.S You are like an indefinite source of good reps for me. Whenever you drag me into another love discussion I receive at least a dozen. :worship:

«Ivan»
02-15-2009, 01:25 PM
then you must be very good looking right, show us your photo :wavey::p

dear cutie(i've heard about you),i can be ugly,i'm not public property:angel: he's bottom covers court,i'cant watch good moonballing.