Rotterdam QF- R. Nadal defeats J-W Tsonga 6-4. 6-7(5). 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rotterdam QF- R. Nadal defeats J-W Tsonga 6-4. 6-7(5). 6-4

federernadalfan
02-13-2009, 09:28 PM
tsonga at 30 all in the third set at 5-4 df :sad:
well done rafa :)

SheepleBuster
Tsonga choked!

tennizen
He should have won in two.

TMJordan
Oh no.

Psichogauchovna
i like you Rafa but :zzz:

Jo :bigcry:

SwiSha
02-13-2009, 09:29 PM
too good this #1

expected close affair though

SheepleBuster
Tsonga choked after Rafa let him back into the match in the third set. Rafa was up a break. But Tsonga is an ace machine! 26 aces!

Ackms421
Nadal should have closed it out in two. It was a fairly high quality match though. Good play from both ends. Nadal was a touch more aggressive than usual and hopefully he'll keep that up. It was a necessity here.

Andi-M
Good match.

Nadal fought well Tsonga is UE mad. Nadal hardly convincing but no-one is this tourny.

finishingmove
02-13-2009, 09:31 PM
He should have won in two.

yeah..

tsonga had some good patches but nadal was in control for most of the match.

Bilbo
02-13-2009, 09:31 PM
too good this nadal

Smoke944
02-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Tsonga played really poorly for the majority of this match. Other than his serve, terrible.

justsumma
02-13-2009, 09:32 PM
piggy's unending luck continues

ChinoRios4Ever
02-13-2009, 09:33 PM
far of his best and still winning, Rafa :worship:

Corey Feldman
even when Nadal isnt playing well , no players ever take advantage anymore, they are utterly hopeless

HattonWBA
Nadal is pretty much unstoppable it seems, people have doubts of him winning this title but he will still take it in my opinion

moon language
Always good to see Clownga go down.

trixtah
02-13-2009, 09:34 PM

yes, just call it luck when he wins and lack of skill when he loses :rolleyes:

guga2120
02-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Rafa, should not have taken Krajieck's money to play in this tournament. He is in these battles in a crap tournment, right after he won a slam.

Lurker011
02-13-2009, 09:35 PM
tsonga is not a piggy roaster anymore..he only beat nadal one time. i think monfils can beat nadal in the next round.

delpiero7
Is this the very same Tsonga that was supposed to blow Nadal off the court? :haha:

to sum up the rest of this thread in advance:

Mug era
RIP tennis

may as well close the thread now

LinkMage
Fucking mug this Clownga. DF at 30all 4-5. :retard:

Jōris
02-13-2009, 09:36 PM
That's right, Tsonga. When in doubt, overhit your forehand.

Well done to Nadal though.

j0ns
02-13-2009, 09:37 PM
The ending of the 2nd set was beyond epic. Tsonga dukes it out with Llayani then hits a monster second serve ace.

Vamos~~

Ackms421
02-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Tsonga never was a piggy roaster. He played one spectacular match and it happened to be on the biggest of stages. Nadal now has a 3-1 record against him and ALL MATCHES WERE ON HARD COURTS!!! :shrug: He is not a piggy roaster.

jcreback
02-13-2009, 09:39 PM
If Nadal plays Monfils in the SF, and Murray in the F, those are probably two more matches in excess of two hours. He will probably play 12 hours or more of tennis in 5 days in a 250 tournament.

And people are going to wonder why he burns out at the age of 25. He is a bloddy idiot.

delpiero7
02-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Tsonga never was a piggy roaster. He played one spectacular match and it happened to be on the biggest of stages. Nadal now has a 3-1 record against him and ALL MATCHES WERE ON HARD COURTS!!! :shrug: He is not a piggy roaster.

Wouldn't matter if Nadal double/triple bageled him the next 30 times they play. Haters would only remember that one occassion where Tsonga won.

GuiroNl
02-13-2009, 09:41 PM
He will probably play 12 hours or more of tennis in 5 days in a 250 tournament.

It's a 500 tournament and seeing as he needs to play at least 4 of them this season ...

Tom_Bombadil
02-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Tsonga has great skills but I have to say this: he's nominated for clown of the year in my opinion (I hope Djokovic was seeing this match cause he has serious competition).

The show he was producing was ridiculous. What he did at the end of the second set I didn't understand, Rafa was the one who challenged by the way.

jcreback
02-13-2009, 09:42 PM
It's a 500 tournament and seeing as he needs to play at least 4 of them this season ...

I'm sorry, that was a mistake on my part, but he is still a moron. He should decide in his own head never to be on a court in one of these tournies for more than 2 hours. He should just be more aggressive and end matches sooner, even if he loses now and then. It will benefit him in the long run.

GuiroNl
02-13-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm sorry, that was a mistake on my part, but he is still a moron. He should decide in his own head never to be on a court in one of these tournies for more than 2 hours. He should just be more aggressive and end matches sooner, even if he loses now and then. It will benefit him in the long run.

Yeah you are right that he should end matches sooner but today he was doing the right things in this match. Tsonga hitting 17 aces in the 2nd set didn't help at all and he played like a mad man in the tiebreak so what was Nadal to do.

Sinerra
02-13-2009, 09:46 PM
The show he was producing was ridiculous. What he did at the end of the second set I didn't understand, Rafa was the one who challenged by the way.

What happened there? Tsonga was arguing with the umpire for 5 minutes while the umpire said he had to replay the point...:confused:
Can anyone explain what was going on?

Bazooka
02-13-2009, 09:46 PM
If Nadal plays Monfils in the SF, and Murray in the F, those are probably two more matches in excess of two hours. He will probably play 12 hours or more of tennis in 5 days in a 250 tournament.

And people are going to wonder why he burns out at the age of 25. He is a bloddy idiot.

1)It's a 500 tournament. He needs to play 4 of them.

2)If he retires at 25, his pro career will have lasted 10 years, more than enough.

3)Get a clue

Very good match, with a lot of fighting and winners, but some silly UEs too. Good serve from Rafa and unbelievably serve from Tsonga. The tie break with rafa saving 3 set points, then a bad line call on the fourth, was really a very intense climax. Rafa was really pissed in the third, and that made him really aggressive, but prone to errors too.

Rafa has decided he will get these 500 points, and he will.

guga2120
02-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Rafa has decided he will get these 500 points, and he will.

He should not be playing, he is tired, and Murray is going to get the 500.

ignatius
02-13-2009, 09:49 PM

More aggressive?? I thought he was pretty aggressive today. What else he needs to do? Tsonga served 25 aces so there's not much he could've when he is returning. Other than that, Nadal dictated the tempo and rythm throughout the match.

If he wins this, he'll probably skip Dubai. It's not the end of the world, Dubai is also a 500tournament so no biggie if he pulls out.

Voo de Mar
02-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Besides good serving, Tsonga played a poor match. After the first set I thought he would win only 4-6 7-6 7-6 without break of Nadal's serve what almost happened albeit Nadal lost serve once. Really surprising Nadal lost by double fault service game in the third game of the final set.

More time for rest before Marseille :yeah:

Montego
So Rafa - the ultimate hardcourt and indoor mug - won again ?

madmax
Tsonga was serving well,unfortunately too many errors and choking yet again on important points. Nadal was solid, nothing spectacular, this tourney is still Murray's for taking

SheepleBuster
02-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Nadal will become No. 0 this year. I mean he is already No. 1....

jcreback
02-13-2009, 09:54 PM
More aggressive?? I thought he was pretty aggressive today. What else he needs to do? Tsonga served 25 aces so there's not much he could've when he is returning. Other than that, Nadal dictated the tempo and rythm throughout the match.

If he wins this, he'll probably skip Dubai. It's not the end of the world, Dubai is also a 500tournament so no biggie if he pulls out.

What Nadal has gotten to number one of is dictating tempo and rhythm, but he isn't overly aggressive. I didn't see the whole match today, so I won't speculate as to his aggressive nature on this day, but the match was very long.

Nadal grinds down his opponents and then finishes them off. In a major I think it is a brilliant strategy that has served him well. In a tournament like Rotterdam, it is a colossal waste of his effort when he could shorten his matches out if he wanted and still win most of them.

ignatius
02-13-2009, 09:55 PM
What happened there? Tsonga was arguing with the umpire for 5 minutes while the umpire said he had to replay the point...:confused:
Can anyone explain what was going on?

The lineman didn't call first but then corrected and called out. Nadal managed to return the ball in but stopped the point cause the lineman had call out.

Tsonga argued with the umpire cause he felt NADAL called it out and made the lineman correct his initial call. Then Nadal challanged the first serve cause the umpire had ordered to replay the point.

Nidhogg
Meh, pity. Oh well. Butthead might get a chance to improve his H2H here, but since he doesn't seem to be quite on song either you never know where this will end.

Bazooka
For everybody saying Murray will win it, well, he has his chances, providing he also can rise his game a lot like Nadal did today. His performance against Gicquel was real bad.

Voo de Mar
02-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Tie-break was finished 7-5 not 7-4.

Sinerra
02-13-2009, 09:57 PM
The lineman didn't call first but then corrected and called out. Nadal managed to return the ball in but stopped the point cause the lineman had call out.

Tsonga argued with the umpire cause he felt NADAL called it out and made the lineman correct his initial call. Then Nadal challanged the first serve cause the umpire had ordered to replay the point.

Thanks! Now I understand. :wavey:

ignatius
02-13-2009, 09:58 PM
What Nadal has gotten to number one of is dictating tempo and rhythm, but he isn't overly aggressive. I didn't see the whole match today, so I won't speculate as to his aggressive nature on this day, but the match was very long.

Nadal grinds down his opponents and then finishes them off. In a major I think it is a brilliant strategy that has served him well. In a tournament like Rotterdam, it is a colossal waste of his effort when he could shorten his matches out if he wanted and still win most of them.

I saw the match and Rafa was way more aggressive tonight than in the earlier round matches. When you play against the likes of Tsongá, Tursunov, Gulbis...there's no way you are going to him more winners than them. There was a big difference though in Rafa's display tonight compared to Rafa's win over Tsonga in Indian Wells '08. Rafa was simply more aggressive.

philosophicalarf
02-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Tsonga was rubbish, aside from his serving in the 2nd set (16 aces in a set!), and still almost won. Nearly every time it went to a rally he dumped it into the net, or punted it wide - he looked pretty tired frankly, his footwork was amateurish in particular.

Nadal did what he needed to do - very good serve % in the 2nd, and he fired some nasty shots at Tsong's toes when he was approaching the net, totally neutering that part of his game. It took Tsonga a good long while to realise this wasn't working, as he failed on 100% of low volleys (either hitting it out/into the net, or giving Rafa an easy winner).

Ultimately it's not Nadal's surface though, and if he comes up against someone who can reliably hit deep he's going to lose.

yavore
02-13-2009, 09:59 PM
"Monkey" clownga dance did not happen this time :haha:
Was this (surface) fast/slow enough glenn ruanz etc...:baby:

finishingmove
02-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Besides good serving, Tsonga played a poor match. After the first set I thought he would win only 4-6 7-6 7-6 without break of Nadal's serve what almost happened albeit Nadal lost serve once. Really surprising Nadal lost by double fault service game in the third game of the final set.

More time for rest before Marseille :yeah:

that's kind of what i was thinking.

either nadal breaks him, or tsonga wins in a 3rd set tb.

rhinooooo
02-13-2009, 10:03 PM
I actually think this match showed good signs for both. Rafa was definitely more aggressive and served very well for most of the match.

Tsonga is clearly not 100% and didn't play to his potential, yet he fought fantastically, and was clutch on most big moments. He's definitely one of the few that can get into Rafa's head a bit, and match him in the mental department.

Voo de Mar
02-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Nadal is the best. Actually if he had faster 1st serve, I'd say it's tough to create better tennis player (I don't think only about his technical skills right now, but also about all mental nuances which appear in many different stages of a tennis match). If he stays healthy with the knees until 30 years, he is going to surpass records of all best players in modern history.

Jōris
02-13-2009, 10:05 PM
This thread died in two replies. I guess our posts are so good that there simply were no good responses left.

yavore
02-13-2009, 10:06 PM
I actually think this match showed good signs for both. Rafa was definitely more aggressive and served very well for most of the match.

Tsonga is clearly not 100% and didn't play to his potential, yet he fought fantastically, and was clutch on most big moments. He's definitely one of the few that can get into Rafa's head a bit, and match him in the mental department.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/5/photos/2009/tsonga_h2h.jpgclownga.......mental? :retard:

ignatius
02-13-2009, 10:10 PM
Nadal is the best. Actually if he had faster 1st serve, I'd say it's tough to create better tennis player...

...And a better down-the-line backhand. His cross-court backhand's gotten pretty good. It worked very well against Federer last month. However, his down-the line-backhand, being good, it's not up to pair with Djokovic's, Muzza's or even Davidenko's. But Rafa's will get there...he's improved every aspect of his game ever since 2005, so he'll defintely improve that shot.

GlennMirnyi
02-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Unbelievable how much luck this moonballer has.

Makes me wanna puke. FFS.

RedFury
02-13-2009, 10:17 PM

Besides, this tournament it's a freebie for him in terms of points -- he went out in the first round last year. Don't think he has another one like it till after Madrid.

Can't blame the strategy behind his opting to play this one, though I agree it's a hell of a pounding...

Voo de Mar
02-13-2009, 10:20 PM
...And a better down-the-line backhand. His cross-court backhand's gotten pretty good. It worked very well against Federer last month. However, his down-the line-backhand, being good, it's not up to pair with Djokovic's, Muzza's or even Davidenko's. But Rafa's will get there...he's improved every aspect of his game ever since 2005, so he'll defintely improve that shot.

Yeah, but you know, there are many technical nuances... forehand volley-cross, backhand down the line, serve in the middle etc. Considering all basic repertoir: 1st serve, 2nd serve, forehand, backhand, volley, smash, lob, dropshot, I think only his 1st serve is something what would be considerably improving. Actually it's amazing that despite lack of many aces and service winners he's so tough to break :shrug:

delpiero7
02-13-2009, 10:21 PM

Would you care to elaborate please, Glenn?

GlennMirnyi
02-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Would you care to elaborate please, Glenn?

What is there to elaborate?

ignatius
02-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Besides, this tournament if a freebie for him in terms of points -- he went out in the first round last year.

Can't blame the strategy behind his opting to play this one, though I agree it's a hell of a pounding...

Last year he lost in second round though. He beat Tursunov and then lost to Seppi.

This year he's already in the points so the more the merrier. Like I said earlier, if he wins this, he may not play Dubai.

Bazooka
02-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Last year he lost in second round though. He beat Tursunov and then lost to Seppi.

This year he's already in the points so the more the merrier. Like I said earlier, if he wins this, he may not play Dubai.

You are very wrong. He will play Dubai. And if in the first round he is losing 0-6 0-5 0-40 and has to run half a kilometer to return a ball, he will do it or die in the attempt. Because in his mind there is only winning, winning, winning! Matches like the ones in the 2 previous rounds don't motivate him much. Today he was more of himself, and in a final against a top player he will really feel at home.

Some Rafa haters in this thread are becoming a parody of themselves. Talking about luck and moonballing, either they haven't watched the match, or they have lost their sanity.

L James
02-13-2009, 10:32 PM
This is Nadal, ladies and gentlemen.

BaselineSmash
02-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Nadal looked vulnerable and very beatable against Dimitrov, but turned up for this one, which shouldn't have surprised me. Fitness didn't seem to matter that much, as the points were fairly quickfire as befits the court, and Tsonga seemed fairly keyed up. Unlike Miami in 2008, where the Frenchman choked a bit, it just seemed to be pure bad luck that he double-faulted to bring up match point in the third.

ignatius
02-13-2009, 10:42 PM
You are very wrong. He will play Dubai. And if in the first round he is losing 0-6 0-5 0-40 and has to run half a kilometer to return a ball, he will do it or die in the attempt. Because in his mind there is only winning, winning, winning! Matches like the ones in the 2 previous rounds don't motivate him much. Today he was more of himself, and in a final against a top player he will really feel at home.

Some Rafa haters in this thread are becoming a parody of themselves. Talking about luck and moonballing, either they haven't watched the match, or they have lost their sanity.

Hey, hold your horses, I'm on your side. Rafa Nadal is my favorite player, probably just like yours.

The only thing I said is "he may not play Dubai". Now, whether I'm wrong or right we won't know until Dubai, will we? Either way is just an opinion based on the number of matches Nadal's played so far and the number of matches he'll have to play in the forthcoming months. Don't forget Indian Wells and Miami are mini GS's (10 day tournaments) and if Nadal wins Rotterdam it could be reasonable to skip Dubai so he can prepare for the US hard court spring season.

Bazooka
02-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Hey, hold your horses, I'm on your side. Rafa Nadal is my favorite player, probably just like yours.

The only thing I said is "he may not play Dubai". Now, whether I'm wrong or right we won't know until Dubai, will we? Either way is just an opinion based on the number of matches Nadal's played so far and the number of matches he'll have to play in the forthcoming months. Don't forget Indian Wells and Miami are mini GS's (10 day tournaments) and if Nadal wins Rotterdam it could be reasonable to skip Dubai so he can prepare for the US hard court spring season.

ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

WINNNNING!!!!!!!

no?

Henry Chinaski
02-13-2009, 10:45 PM
I had to leave after the 2nd set but Tsonga was an all-serve mug today from what I saw. He badly needs to hire a lefty hitting partner with a decent swinging ad court serve because, like against Verdasco, his returning from that side was an embarrassment.

Bazooka
The parody thing was not for you, ignatious, it was for those mentioming luck and moonballing.

RedFury

Fair enough, I was going by my decrepit memory. Early onset of Budwiser's I think they call it.

Beyond that and looking at the Big Picture, Nadal's quite pragmatic. I believe securing #1 and a (tying BB's record, right?) fifth RG crown is his focus for the season. All else is cherry on The Sundae.

Henry Chinaski
02-13-2009, 10:47 PM
ignatius......do you realise how much the top players get just for showing up in Dubai?

Obviously not if you think there's any chance Nadal will skip it.

philosophicalarf
02-13-2009, 10:49 PM
I had to leave after the 2nd set but Tsonga was an all-serve mug today from what I saw. He badly needs to hire a lefty hitting partner with a decent swinging ad court serve because, like against Verdasco, his returning from that side was an embarrassment.

Wasn't just the ad side either - there were a couple of second serves to the deuce court where he misjudged it so badly he ended up playing the ball over his head, ducking down almost on his knees.

His returning was atrocious all match, frankly.

Henry Chinaski
02-13-2009, 10:50 PM
True. I just mentioned the ad side because it was particularly noticable against Verdasco as well.

rhinooooo
02-13-2009, 10:56 PM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/5/photos/2009/tsonga_h2h.jpgclownga.......mental? :retard:

He played like shit off the ground. His strokes were bad, his approaches bad, his volleys bad, his footwork bad. He should have lost in 2 but he kept fighting mentally, and serving well to go three sets. Guy looks tired as well.

Primus
02-13-2009, 10:57 PM

Do us a favor and hit your head to the wall. I mean your arguments are beyond stupid, so I doubt it will harm you even more...you can only profit.

ignatius
02-13-2009, 10:57 PM
ignatius......do you realise how much the top players get just for showing up in Dubai?

Obviously not if you think there's any chance Nadal will skip it.

Yeah I know. Appearance money is probably higher in Nadal's case than prize money if he does win in Dubai, but the season is long. Nadal's already winning a lot of matches so it could be reasonable, regardless the money, to skip a long trip, jet lag and possible fatigue if he does win a few matches in Dubai so he can get ready of IW that starts just 5 days after the Dubai final.

sawan66278
02-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Best match of the year so far.

Um...yeah. Actually, Rafa played much better than the first round, but nowhere near his AO form. Tsonga served well, and played some VERY nice drop shots and lobs. And he volleyed well too. Rafa played more aggressively...but still should have won in straight sets. Or much more easily in the fifth.

One clear fact: he is NOT a moonballer...and ALL AROUND SKILLS are without doubt...as Voo mentioned.

tangerine_dream
02-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Excellent win, Rafa. :clap2:

The sock puppets around here multiply like rabbits. Sock rabbits.

kulikuli
02-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Rafa, should not have taken Krajieck's money to play in this tournament. He is in these battles in a crap tournment, right after he won a slam.

http://www.tennisweek.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=535070

Rotterdam tournament :worship:

GlennMirnyi
02-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Do us a favor and hit your head to the wall. I mean your arguments are beyond stupid, so I doubt it will harm you even more...you can only profit.

I'm afraid that if I hit my head on the wall, I may become like you - brainless. ;)

meihaditalab
02-13-2009, 11:51 PM

Yeah this is luck. 1 Aussie, 4 french and 1 wimby. All luck. I'm sure any other player could get lucky and win 6 GS. Plus Tsonga is a good player, great serve and has a deadly forehand. Nadal is just a better player and stop denying his amazing talent

karadjordje
02-13-2009, 11:53 PM
This match has proved that Tsonga is just a hit and miss player.He will never win slam ,can~t control hiss shots has power but that`s it his game plan is on junior level.Well done Nadul last six months players who face him beat them selfs and that`s sign of a great champion.And I am Novak supporter.

GlennMirnyi
02-13-2009, 11:53 PM
Yeah this is luck. 1 Aussie, 4 french and 1 wimby. All luck. I'm sure any other player could get lucky and win 6 GS. Plus Tsonga is a good player, great serve and has a deadly forehand. Nadal is just a better player and stop denying his amazing talent

It is luck. :wavey:

MalwareDie
02-13-2009, 11:59 PM
It is luck. :wavey:

Don't forget the pitiful state of the courts.

aeronatasha
02-13-2009, 11:59 PM
I felt Tsonga was erratic at best. If it wasn't for his serve, he would have lost in 2 easily imo. His footwork was sloppy, he went from hitting a brilliant fh to just bashing the ball full strength, kept falling on back and his returning was.. let's say poor. Plus after all that drama in the TB, I really wanted Nadal to win.

So best of luck to Rafa, glad to see him so happy at the end. :)

l_mac
02-14-2009, 12:08 AM
tsonga at 30 all in the third set at 5-4 df :sad:

This is a danger for all players who only have a serve :wavey: :shrug:

Oh no.
Oh yes.
Tsonga played really poorly for the majority of this match. Other than his serve, terrible.
Tsnga is a streaky player who can occassionally play very well. Lucky for him he has a big serve which pulls him through many matches, but against a superior player ... :shrug:
Meh, pity.
Why a pity? The better player won :confused:

Tsonga was rubbish, aside from his serving in the 2nd set (16 aces in a set!), and still almost won. Nearly every time it went to a rally he dumped it into the net, or punted it wide - he looked pretty tired frankly, his footwork was amateurish in particular.

Nadal did what he needed to do - very good serve % in the 2nd, and he fired some nasty shots at Tsong's toes when he was approaching the net, totally neutering that part of his game. It took Tsonga a good long while to realise this wasn't working, as he failed on 100% of low volleys (either hitting it out/into the net, or giving Rafa an easy winner).

Ultimately it's not Nadal's surface though, and if he comes up against someone who can reliably hit deep he's going to lose.
Of course.

Mmm, I don't think he's in Rafa's head at all.

I actually don't think that players get in Rafa's head. He just doesn't have that mentality.

Wasn't just the ad side either - there were a couple of second serves to the deuce court where he misjudged it so badly he ended up playing the ball over his head, ducking down almost on his knees.

His returning was atrocious all match, frankly.
His return game has been abysmal all year.

Perhaps we hsuold conclude that he just can't return serve for shit.
Don't forget the pitiful state of the courts.

Slow as ass this Rotterdam :wavey: :retard:

JBdV
02-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Wouldn't matter if Nadal double/triple bageled him the next 30 times they play. Haters would only remember that one occassion where Tsonga won.

That one occasion is remembered because of the quality of performance, Tsonga played flawless, attacking all-court tennis that day. Something Nadal could never do even if he did double/triple bagel Tsonga 30 times in a row.

l_mac
02-14-2009, 12:27 AM
That one occasion is remembered because of the quality of performance, Tsonga played flawless, attacking all-court tennis that day. Something Nadal could never do even if he did double/triple bagel Tsonga 30 times in a row.

:lol:

Tsonga played a good match against a Nadal playing horribly.

But you are right. When people talk about Tsonga they will remember the one time he beat Nadal in a big match. When peole talk about Nadal, they will be remembering all his Slam wins. :D

Tough to decide which is the better legacy :wavey:

:haha:

GlennMirnyi
02-14-2009, 12:31 AM
Stop, iMac, you've already won the "opportunist of the year" award. :)

JBdV
02-14-2009, 12:32 AM
What exactly do you win out of seeing Nadal get so many Slams playing such dull tennis, apart from the satisfaction of being able to gloat on here of course? :confused:

l_mac
02-14-2009, 12:36 AM
What exactly do you win out of seeing Nadal get so many Slams playing such dull tennis, apart from the satisfaction of being able to gloat on here of course? :confused:

He's my favourite player, so I like it when he wins :confused:

What do you get out of being such a blind hater? Not a whole lot of joy, would be my guess. Here's a hug :hug:

GlennMirnyi
02-14-2009, 12:37 AM

It's the same for all top players fans.

They can only cheer for players who win titles, because that's the only way they can feel like achieving something.

l_mac
02-14-2009, 12:39 AM
They can only cheer for players who win titles, because that's the only way they can feel like achieving something.

Whereas you cheer for losers with no hope of winning anything because in life you achieve so much.

JBdV
02-14-2009, 12:41 AM
What do you get out of being such a blind hater? Not a whole lot of joy, would be my guess. Here's a hug :hug:

I don't hate Nadal, I don't really care enough about him for that. I was just stating why that one match is remembered by a lot of people, but of course you have to come in with the "my player has more Slams than yours ever will" BS :lol:

simplet

Tsonga played a good match against a Nadal playing horribly.

But you are right. When people talk about Tsonga they will remember the one time he beat Nadal in a big match. When peole talk about Nadal, they will be remembering all his Slam wins. :D

Tough to decide which is the better legacy :wavey:

What was so horrible about the way Nadal played when Tsonga crushed him? I saw the match with two different set of commentators, in two different languages even, and they pretty mutch said the same thing : that Nadal played his game, and didn't play bad at all, but he was just completely outplayed. I remember McEnroe was really amazed when he saw that Nadal had only two unforced errors in the first set (I think), where Tsonga destroyed him 6-2. He didn't miss easy shots or anything, he tried to work his way into the points, did everything he could do. Maybe his serve wasn't that good if I remember correctly, but then again it's not like it's usually amazing, is it?

GlennMirnyi
Whereas you cheer for losers with no hope of winning anything because in life you achieve so much.

More than you for sure. :)

I cheer for players with nice games, couldn't give a flying f*ck if they win or not.

That's the difference - you wouldn't even know who Nadull is if he weren't a top player. :wavey:

Henry Chinaski
02-14-2009, 12:43 AM

l mac dons a mask and muscle suit and replaces Rafa for whole sets at a time when he takes a toliet break.

I don't hate Nadal, I don't really care enough about him for that. I was just stating why that one match is remembered by a lot of people, but of course you have to come in with the "my player has more Slams than yours ever will" BS

she recently attacked a nadal fan-boy with "hater" accusations when he dared to criticise him so don't waste your energy.

Action Jackson
02-14-2009, 12:45 AM
l mac dons a mask and muscle suit and replaces Rafa for whole sets at a time when he takes a toliet break.

The classic Man Utd fan defence.

l_mac
02-14-2009, 12:46 AM
I don't hate Nadal, I don't really care enough about him for that. I was just stating why that one match is remembered by a lot of people, but of course you have to come in with the "my player has more Slams than yours ever will" BS :lol:
Why is it BS? Is it not true?
What was so horrible about the way Nadal played when Tsonga crushed him? I saw the match with two different set of commentators, in two different languages even, and they pretty mutch said the same thing : that Nadal played his game, and didn't play bad at all, but he was just completely outplayed. I remember McEnroe was really amazed when he saw that Nadal had only two unforced errors in the first set (I think), where Tsonga destroyed him 6-2. He didn't miss easy shots or anything, he tried to work his way into the points, did everything he could do. Maybe his serve wasn't that good if I remember correctly, but then again it's not like it's usually amazing, is it?
:spit:

Okay.
Why for sure? You don't know me at all.
I cheer for players with nice games, couldn't give a flying f*ck if they win or not.

That's the difference - you wouldn't even know who Nadull is if he weren't a top player. :wavey:
Why would I not?

JBdV
02-14-2009, 12:48 AM

This is the same old story, and I remember Nadal fans raving about how well he was playing against mugs like Nieminen or Serra that fortnight, but all of a sudden just by coincidence when he plays someone who spanked him it's because he was in horrible form of course...

l_mac
02-14-2009, 12:48 AM
she recently attacked a nadal fan-boy with "hater" accusations when he dared to criticise him so don't waste your energy.

I don't like most Nadal fans, so this is probably true.

l_mac
02-14-2009, 12:49 AM
This is the same old story, and I remember Nadal fans raving about how well he was playing against mugs like Nieminen or Serra that fortnight, but all of a sudden just by coincidence when he plays someone who spanked him it's because he was in horrible form of course...

Certianly seems like you don't care about Nadal at all when all you can remember about a two week period over a year ago is what his fans were (allegedly) saying about him on the internet :D

Yves.
02-14-2009, 12:49 AM
What a match :yeah: I was there :banana: and the atmosphere was just, awesome. Alerady looking forward to go next year!

simplet
02-14-2009, 12:52 AM
:spit:

Okay.

So you agree with me? I don't know what's so funny about that, especially for a Nadal fan, but I'm pretty sure you click on thoses smileys without even realizing it anyway.

JBdV
Certianly seems like you don't care about Nadal at all when all you can remember about a two week period over a year ago is what his fans were (allegedly) saying about him on the internet :D

The way there was a 180 turn from Nadal fans re: Nadal's form on this forum after the Tsonga match, which I remember very well, was so noticeable it stuck in my head ;)

FairWeatherFan
Too bad, I was hoping Tsonga's exciting and entertaining game would be too much for Nadal. But this is just a mickey mouse tournament anyway.

l_mac
02-14-2009, 12:55 AM
So you agree with me? I don't know what's so funny about that, especially for a Nadal fan, but I'm pretty sure you click on thoses smileys without even realizing it anyway.
I'm pretty sure I don't click on anything.

I don't agree, but I respect your right to have and air an opinion. :hug:
The way there was a 180 turn from Nadal fans re: Nadal's form on this forum after the Tsonga match, which I remember very well, was so noticeable it stuck in my head ;)
Was it? I remember Rafa fans complaining bitterly about his awful form. The only match we were happy with was against PHM which only lasted a set and PHM was barely moving :lol: Maybe you mean the GM clown posters. I can only speak for myself, and the Rafa fans I post with in his forum.

connectolove
02-14-2009, 01:01 AM
This is a good win that will give Rafa a lot of confidence since Tsonga has had the upper hand in their relationship. CONGRATS Rafa!!!!!

adee-gee
02-14-2009, 01:01 AM
If Rafa plays well and loses, I'll call it like that.

But Nadal seriously played horribly against Tsonga at the AO. He couldn't hit a groundstroke past the service line. He was hitting with nothing on the ball. He was serving right into Tsonga's hitting zone. His passing shots weren't good.

He has won many matches playing like he did against Tsonga that day, but he was absolutely miles from his best. I gave and still give Tsonga a lot of praise for the way he played that day, he spanked a ton of winners and took full advantage. But I'd maintain that if Nadal was anywhere close to his best, the match would've been completely different, Tsonga wouldn't have been able to dominate like he did.

l_mac
02-14-2009, 01:03 AM

But Nadal seriously played horribly against Tsonga at the AO. He couldn't hit a groundstroke past the service line. He was hitting with nothing on the ball. He was serving right into Tsonga's hitting zone. His passing shots weren't good.

He has won many matches playing like he did against Tsonga that day, but he was absolutely miles from his best. I gave and still give Tsonga a lot of praise for the way he played that day, he spanked a ton of winners and took full advantage. But I'd maintain that if Nadal was anywhere close to his best, the match would've been completely different, Tsonga wouldn't have been able to dominate like he did.

I remember even after Rafa had lost the first two sets you still thought he would come back and win in five :tape: :lol:

GlennMirnyi
Why for sure? You don't know me at all.

I have a very high sense of self-importance and I doubt anything you have ever done will surpass it. :)

simplet
I'm pretty sure I don't click on anything.

I don't agree, but I respect your right to have and air an opinion. :hug:

Yeah apparently you respect my opinion so much you don't want to say anything about why you think it's wrong. I know you're not used to our earth language and alphabet, but maybe you could say why you disagree with actual words, that have a meaning, instead of a combination of laughing smileys?

l_mac
02-14-2009, 01:06 AM
I have a very high sense of self-importance and I doubt anything you have ever done will surpass it. :)

Self importance does not equal achievement.

l_mac
02-14-2009, 01:06 AM
Yeah apparently you respect my opinion so much you don't want to say anything about why you think it's wrong. I know you're not used to our earth language and alphabet, but maybe you could say why you disagree with actual words, that have a meaning, instead of a combination of laughing smileys?

Why? To make you feel better?

TMJordan
02-14-2009, 01:07 AM
I'm not gonna argue with you, but you are wrong, I_mac.

l_mac
02-14-2009, 01:09 AM
I'm not gonna argue with you, but you are wrong, I_mac.

I never want to fight with you, Jordan :kiss:

Albop
02-14-2009, 01:12 AM
Apart from his 1st serve, what a clowinsh performance from Tsonga :help:

JBdV
02-14-2009, 01:14 AM

And this has a lot to do with how well Tsonga was playing that day, hitting the ball and reading Nadal's passing shots and making some crazy volleys/drop-volleys. Tsonga himself has never played anywhere near that well since.

Guy Haines
02-14-2009, 01:16 AM
I never want to fight with you, Jordan :kiss:

Once I saw the scoreline I should have realized this thread would be l_mac vs. the men of MTF. (Not all the men :devil:.)

Gotta say she's making quick work of most of her opponents. More success than Nadal has had in getting the job done this week.

How good Rafa was or wasn't playing back at the Australian doesn't matter much. The only thing that mattered that day was how outlandishly great Tsonga was playing. Those drop volleys were: :eek:

That doesn't mean Tsonga's the better or even more dominant player by a longshot, though.

I'd like to see these two in a Wimbledon final.

simplet
02-14-2009, 01:18 AM
Why? To make you feel better?

I love how your trying to pull me into those circular arguments you apparently live for, instead of answering the question. You know that people can exchange opinions and try to discuss, right? We don't HAVE to throw idiotic one-liners at each other over the internet for two hours, do we?

You said something like it's a fact, I disagreed and told you why. You then proceeded to virtually laugh in my face. I still don't know what was so funny. So yeah it'd make me feel better if you could try to articulate an actual opinion.

GlennMirnyi
02-14-2009, 01:19 AM
Self importance does not equal achievement.

Ah I'm young still - many achievements to come. I'm sure they'll be bigger than yours, if they aren't already. :)

l_mac
02-14-2009, 01:27 AM
I love how your trying to pull me into those circular arguments you apparently live for, instead of answering the question. You know that people can exchange opinions and try to discuss, right? We don't HAVE to throw idiotic one-liners at each other over the internet for two hours, do we?

On the contrary, I am trying to avoid a circular argument. I think Tsonga played out of his mind at the AO last year, perticularly in the semi against Rafa. I think that Rafa played like crap from R1 all the way through. You can look up my posts from that time if you like. I would not tell you a lie. If you watched that SF match and thought Rafa played well there is no point in any discussion, as far as I can see. Because I do not agree, and never will. I am not going to change your mind, and you are not going to change mine.

You seem like a very seriuos poster and I am sorry that you have been caught up in my responses to the hater trolls.

You said something like it's a fact, I disagreed and told you why. You then proceeded to virtually laugh in my face. I still don't know what was so funny. So yeah it'd make me feel better if you could try to articulate an actual opinion.

For me it is fact - he played badly.

l_mac
02-14-2009, 01:30 AM
Ah I'm young still - many achievements to come. I'm sure they'll be bigger than yours, if they aren't already. :)

Well, again, you can be sure of nothing. I wish you all the best. :hug:

simplet
02-14-2009, 01:37 AM
On the contrary, I am trying to avoid a circular argument. I think Tsonga played out of his mind at the AO last year, perticularly in the semi against Rafa. I think that Rafa played like crap from R1 all the way through. You can look up my posts from that time if you like. I would not tell you a lie. If you watched that SF match and thought Rafa played well there is no point in any discussion, as far as I can see. Because I do not agree, and never will. I am not going to change your mind, and you are not going to change mine.

You seem like a very seriuos poster and I am sorry that you have been caught up in my responses to the hater trolls.

For me it is fact - he played badly.

All right then. I guess I'll never know. Good night and good luck, fans of all stripes.

star
02-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Yeah I know. Appearance money is probably higher in Nadal's case than prize money if he does win in Dubai, but the season is long. Nadal's already winning a lot of matches so it could be reasonable, regardless the money, to skip a long trip, jet lag and possible fatigue if he does win a few matches in Dubai so he can get ready of IW that starts just 5 days after the Dubai final.

Don't forget about DC.

GlennMirnyi
02-14-2009, 01:42 AM
Well, again, you can be sure of nothing. I wish you all the best. :hug:

Thanks. Can't say the same to you. :p

Just joking! :lol: :p

roberthenman
02-14-2009, 01:45 AM
Rafa had lucky :p

JolánGagó
02-14-2009, 01:47 AM
Totally expected, Clownga will never get close to top10 again. He should remain where he belongs.

l_mac
02-14-2009, 01:47 AM
Thanks. Can't say the same to you. :p

Just joking! :lol: :p

:awww:

connectolove
02-14-2009, 01:48 AM

Somehow Rafa does enough to win ...:scratch::rolleyes: and at the end of the day that's what counts.

Henry Chinaski
02-14-2009, 01:55 AM
Totally expected, Clownga will never get close to top10 again. He should remain where he belongs.

yeah those Casablanca points that account for most of his March to August total will be impossible to gain on

vamosinator
02-14-2009, 02:03 AM
Nadal should have closed it out in two. It was a fairly high quality match though. Good play from both ends. Nadal was a touch more aggressive than usual and hopefully he'll keep that up. It was a necessity here.

THE RAFA chooses his level of aggression based on the kind of opponent he faces, example Simon fed off the pace in October and beat THE RAFA so THE RAFA slowed it down and sliced everything in the Aust Open and defeated Simon in straight sets. Whereas Tsonga can only be beat if you take the upper hand and control the match fully. THE RAFA has the tactics to beat anyone on THE EARTH :dog::sport:

Yves.
02-14-2009, 02:06 AM
yeah those Casablanca points that account for most of his March to August total will be impossible to gain on

:haha: Priceless

JolánGagó
02-14-2009, 02:10 AM
Oh I forgot to say what a good day it is when it's warm and sunny outside, Clownga miserably loses and, above all, I can watch the haters hopelessly banging their empty heads against the nearest wall, trying to find something inside :haha:

Henry Chinaski
02-14-2009, 02:11 AM
ok

GlennMirnyi
02-14-2009, 02:43 AM
:awww:

All the best for you - not the same for your moonballer idol. :)

malisha
02-14-2009, 02:48 AM
Mmm, I don't think he's in Rafa's head at all.
I actually don't think that players get in Rafa's head. He just doesn't have that mentality.

i think you are wrong..Tsonga does get to him......you can easily see it in his bodylanguage and is his eyes aswell...surprised you cant see it as a Rafa fan

malisha
02-14-2009, 02:51 AM
shitty match it was...finished in ugly way..as expexted

Nadal will win the title

crude oil
02-14-2009, 02:57 AM
wow....nadal is becoming scarier and scarier.

HarryMan
02-14-2009, 03:22 AM
an Indoor fast court favouring Tsonga, and Nadal beats him, again. This shows how tough it has become for players to beat this beast, even on his weakest surface. I think most of them start doubting themselves when the matches get close agaist him, and whether it is possible to beat him. Because lets face it, you almost have to earn each and every point against him and that takes its toll mentally and physically. Nadal almost owns most of these players mentally at the moment.

Monfils, did well at Doha against Nadal, by hitting as hard as he has ever done and won. Can he have control over that mindless ball bashing? if yes, then he can win. Or else Nadal win rip him like he always has prior to that meeting.

Rafa = Fed Killa
02-14-2009, 03:26 AM
Nadal owning all the pansies on MTF again.

Real mens tennis beats pansy tennis any day any time.

Ali wannabe is just a dumb attacking clown. Mentally superior defensive tennis will always reign supreme.

philosophicalarf
02-14-2009, 03:30 AM
an Indoor fast court favouring Tsonga, and Nadal beats him, again. This shows how tough it has become for players to beat this beast, even on his weakest surface. I think most of them start doubting themselves when the matches get close agaist him, and whether it is possible to beat him. Because lets face it, you almost have to earn each and every point against him and that takes its toll mentally and physically.

Tsonga started the very first point with a horrendous easy volley into the net, and never improved from there. Nadal had very little to do with the result - he was gifted a win today.

HarryMan
02-14-2009, 03:33 AM
Nadal owning all the pansies on MTF again.

Real mens tennis beats pansy tennis any day any time.

Ali wannabe is just a dumb attacking clown. Mentally superior defensive tennis will always reign supreme.

Nadal is one of fiercest competitors the sport of tennis has ever seen. I dont think in my lifetime I have seen anyone who is willing to fight till the very last moment like he always does :)

Rafa = Fed Killa
02-14-2009, 03:35 AM
Nadal is one of fiercest competitors the sport of tennis has ever seen. I dont think in my lifetime I have seen anyone who is willing to fight till the very last moment like he always does :)

Nadal is what an athlete should be.

A real man who never gives and fights till the very end. Truly a hero.

HarryMan
02-14-2009, 03:36 AM
Tsonga started the very first point with a horrendous easy volley into the net, and never improved from there. Nadal had very little to do with the result - he was gifted a win today.

I used to have that mentality earlier, but come on man. How many times have we seen Nadal come out on top in these close matches, and it is not like Tsonga has always beaten win. Its tied at 1-1 at the slames, 3-1 overall, so, doesn't make sense to say Tsonga gifted him that win.

HarryMan
02-14-2009, 03:41 AM
Nadal is what an athlete should be.

A real man who never gives and fights till the very end. Truly a hero.

True, wont ever deny that.

Come on RFK, I always wanted to ask you an honest question. How come you can be a fan of Djokovic then? be honest man, is it that you like his game, then its fine, we all have our preferences.

But dont you think he is truly not the kind of athelete that you like to cheer for? Don't you think so?

yavore
02-14-2009, 07:22 AM

Shut up hater. This thread is "Nadal defeats Monkga" not "AO 2008 Clownga defeats Nadal" Go ...to that thread :(

Tom_Bombadil
02-14-2009, 08:01 AM
I think a point we can agree on- if we're not pure Nadal haters- is that Nadal forces his opponents majority of errors. It's difficult to measure his game basing on statistics that only count winners and unforced errors. Nadal game is a step ahead of statistics in the way that he dominates 'other tennis'. His vicious top spin, the heaviness of his balls, his consistency throughout the match, the way he raises his level when necessary. All this doesn't appear on statistics.

Today he even served a volleyed and showed agressiveness more than usual against the Frenchman. Of course, he doesn't have a visual appeal for spectators but he showed his will and his skills are more than proved.

His game puts a lot of pressure on his opponent's side. It had to be very stressful to be facing heavier balls each time so I think a lot of UEs of Nadal's opponents are Nadal's merits. Of course that I can't demonstrate cause that kind of tennis doesn't appear on statistics.

rafa_maniac
02-14-2009, 08:39 AM
i think you are wrong..Tsonga does get to him......you can easily see it in his bodylanguage and is his eyes aswell...surprised you cant see it as a Rafa fan

It's not Tsonga per say, it's the pressure of a tight match against a strong opponent. I don't think Rafa goes into any match with any mental baggage against the player he is up against.

I didn't see the match, but the result doesn't surprise me. This is Nadal for you, it's why he's #1, he can struggle against a 17 year old kid one day, and come out and beat Tsonga on a fast indoor hardcourt next round. Much the same story with his WTA counterpart Serena Williams, who can look shockingly average throughout entire Grand Slams, but at the end of the day, she's the last one standing, and that's all that counts. I still expect Murray to win the tournament though :cool:

Foxy
02-14-2009, 08:47 AM

Since when Mirnyi and Stepanek have nice games? :help: :retard: :spit:

BTW, Glenn, why haven't you signed already the petition for speeding up Rotterdam. It is too damn slow and high-bouncing! :baby:

Albatros99
02-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Nadal game is a step ahead of statistics in the way that he dominates 'other tennis'. His vicious top spin, the heaviness of his balls, his consistency throughout the match, the way he raises his level when necessary.

Rear view of Nadal on the far right. Glenn is first from the left.
There is where GlennMirnyi´s jealousy comes from.

http://www.dirtybutton.com/media/db2624-big-balls.jpg

Mimi
02-14-2009, 09:59 AM
rafa has replaced Novak as the most disliked player at the moment :eek:

adee-gee
02-14-2009, 09:59 AM
And this has a lot to do with how well Tsonga was playing that day, hitting the ball and reading Nadal's passing shots and making some crazy volleys/drop-volleys. Tsonga himself has never played anywhere near that well since.
I'd say the way Nadal allowed Tsonga to play very well, whereas you think the way Tsonga played didn't allow Nadal to play well. Maybe it's a bit of both. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

philosophicalarf
02-14-2009, 10:14 AM
I used to have that mentality earlier, but come on man. How many times have we seen Nadal come out on top in these close matches......

Absolutely. Once it goes close, Nadal usually wins.

However, the apparent closeness of the match was a bit of an illusion, as it was solely down to Tsonga serving like a monster in the 2nd set - he'd have lost in straights otherwise, given he couldn't keep the ball in court with his groundstrokes. Nadal just had to play retriever to win, as Tsonga was hitting vastly more errors than winners. In other words, beating himself.

Tsonga does this occasionally, see TMC. At least then it was only his backhand that broke down - here it was his forehand, return and volleys. He's still technically quite raw (perhaps a legacy of all those injuries damaging his development?), and when tired he can look really dreadful as his footwork goes completely out the window.

Tom_Bombadil
02-14-2009, 10:26 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's funny.

jeremda01
02-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Well done Nadal

vincayou
02-14-2009, 10:38 AM
None had played well until that, Tsonga was lacking shapness after his Johannesburg trip. Nadal upped his level and won, something Jo wasn't able to do. Tsonga's serve was on fire, the only thing working for him yesterday, but enough to stay alive in that match.

The last encounters between them have been very close affair. It's fun to see Rafatards gloating but I'm not sure they want Tsonga in their part of the draw at the next big events. As a fan of Tsonga, I know that I prefer him to be on the side of Nadal next Wimbledon rather than on the Fed's side. I hope it will happen, this should be very interesting.

Corey Feldman
02-14-2009, 11:10 AM

As Roddick would say, "have some sack dude"
:eek:

vamosinator
THE RAFA has learnt since last year's Australian Open that you have to bully Tsonga to beat him. Just as THE RAFA learnt that you have to slice Simon to death to beat him. THE RAFA will figure out Murray too and then there will be no players who can challenge THE RAFA:mad::p

ORGASMATRON
This Rafa is an animal. Next match should be interesting, Monfils is a serious talent.

vamosinator
02-14-2009, 11:13 AM
I don't think Monfils will go far in life with his current coach, it's a real waste of a talent too, but hopefully Monfils realises this soon for his sake:o

rafa_maniac
02-14-2009, 11:30 AM
"THE RAFA" has already figured out Murray, or a 5-1 H2H would imply so ;)

andylovesaustin
02-14-2009, 11:35 AM

I don't think Rafa is an idiot, but I do worry he is going to burn-out at a young age. :confused:

Roger took a longer break after the AO, and Rafa might consider taking a longer break sometime! LOL

Anyway, vamos Rafa!

Corey Feldman
02-14-2009, 11:36 AM
"THE RAFA" has already figured out Murray, or a 5-1 H2H would imply so ;)5-2

Abu Dhabi

rafa_maniac
02-14-2009, 11:40 AM
5-2

Abu Dhabi

Oh dear, I guess the Federer-Murray H2H just got even worse then :tape:

andylovesaustin
02-14-2009, 11:44 AM
As Roddick would say, "have some sack dude"
:eek:

l_mac
02-14-2009, 11:50 AM
It's fun to see Rafatards gloating but I'm not sure they want Tsonga in their part of the draw at the next big events. As a fan of Tsonga, I know that I prefer him to be on the side of Nadal next Wimbledon rather than on the Fed's side. I hope it will happen, this should be very interesting.

I hope you get your wish.

Commander Data
02-14-2009, 12:05 PM

Thats right, that is what makes him special and what scares the oppenents. only thru this mentality has he won Wimbledon and AO. Doesn't matter if he burns out with 25. It is better to give 100 % and reach your full potential then playing safe and go on until 35 years of age with 0 Slams ;)

Besides: People say Nadal will burn out for years now. But what is happening in Reality? Nothing the like, he is separating himself for the pack more and more. Doing pretty good for a burntout talentless Moonballer... I rank Nadal about in the same league as Federer as a player, he is incredible.

HattonWBA
02-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Yes, Get in, Rafa for the title

andylovesaustin
02-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Thats right, that is what makes him special and what scares the oppenents. only thru this mentality has he won Wimbledon and AO. Doesn't matter if he burns out with 25. It is better to give 100 % and reach your full potential then playing safe and go on until 35 years of age with 0 Slams ;)

Besides: People say Nadal will burn out for years now. But what is happening in Reality? Nothing the like, he is separating himself for the pack more and more. Doing pretty good for a burntout talentless Moonballer... I rank Nadal about in the same league as Federer as a player, he is incredible.

I don't want him to burn-out because I like watching him play!

I was watching some film from Rotterdam, and Rafa was walking on the court before the match. He looked like he was in pain a little.

I have had chronic tendinitis, and I tell you what..it's just annoying and frustrating. So, I guess I can relate to Rafa's predicament a little. Of course, Rafa is Rafa, so there's a big difference! LOL But for us mere mortals, it's like the only thing that helps is rest, but then you can't rest forever. I am back full-force to working-out, including but not limited to playing some tennis. So far so good.

But when I see him hobbling around a little, I can definitely relate.

Ouragan
02-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Oh I forgot to say what a good day it is when it's warm and sunny outside, Clownga miserably loses and, above all, I can watch the haters hopelessly banging their empty heads against the nearest wall, trying to find something inside :haha:

I don't see anything miserable about losing 6/4 in the third set to the world #1 and GOAT contender.

Anyway, haters will be haters, have fun with yer sad, shitty little life.

fred perry
02-14-2009, 03:18 PM
this Nadal keeps surprising the tennis establishment. I predict big things...:wavey:

jenanun
02-14-2009, 04:32 PM
I don't think Rafa is an idiot, but I do worry he is going to burn-out at a young age. :confused:

Roger took a longer break after the AO, and Rafa might consider taking a longer break sometime! LOL

Anyway, vamos Rafa!

its still the beginning of season so he should be fine. consider rafa finished last season 2 weeks earlier than rest of the top players, he has had a longer break already....

Nidhogg
02-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Why a pity? The better player won :confused:

Is it really impossible for you to understand some people would rather watch someone other than Nadal play, or that they don't enjoy his game?

Rafa = Fed Killa
02-14-2009, 04:44 PM
True, wont ever deny that.

Come on RFK, I always wanted to ask you an honest question. How come you can be a fan of Djokovic then? be honest man, is it that you like his game, then its fine, we all have our preferences.

But dont you think he is truly not the kind of athelete that you like to cheer for? Don't you think so?

I am a fan of Djokovic as he was the first one to stand up to Federer and backed it up in AO 2008. Also I can relate to his physical problems because I had childhood asthma (gone now luckyly) Third reason is his game is brutal as well, no fancy pansy shots. Once his conditioning gets sorted out he will be one of the best players of all time.

star
02-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Is it really impossible for you to understand some people would rather watch someone other than Nadal play, or that they don't enjoy his game?

Uh... I think it's abundantly clear to every Nadal fan who posts here that there are people who don't enjoy Nadal's game. I don't think l_mac has missed the hundreds or perhaps thousands of posts calling Nadal's game ugly, brutal, one-dimensional, moon-balling -- I'm probably missing some there, but, my guess is that she's gotten the hint. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

However, nothing you've said refutes her statement. "The better player won."

I know that's a bitter pill for some. Maybe for you. Dunno.

Henry Chinaski
02-14-2009, 05:15 PM
He wasn't trying to refute the veracity of the statement. He was questioning its relevance as a response to someone expressing diappointment at Tsonga's defeat.

l_mac
02-14-2009, 05:29 PM

He wasn't trying to refute the veracity of the statement. He was questioning its relevance as a response to someone expressing diappointment at Tsonga's defeat.

When Nidhogg said it was "a pity" I assumed he/she was expressing sorrow for the misfortune of Tsonga. As Tsonga was by far the poorer player in the match I was questioning why he/she would express such a sentiment.

Now I see that his/her "a pity" was an expression of sorrow for tragedy tennis has suffered with Nadal winning another match, and I can add him/her to the ranks of moronic haters.

cmurray
02-14-2009, 05:53 PM
:rolls: This thread is GREAT!

So, Nadal is

1. still a moonballer, even though technically speaking he doesn't moonball anymore.
2. lucky, which is the only explanation of his success. Considering his results of late, he must carry a leprechaun around in his pocket. :shrug: Bastard.
3. bringing about the death of tennis, as evidenced by the fact that he does not draw a crowd AT ALL. Most unpopular No. 1 ever. The nerve.

Hugh Jaas
02-14-2009, 06:35 PM
This match has proved that Tsonga is just a hit and miss player.He will never win slam ,can~t control hiss shots has power but that`s it his game plan is on junior level.Well done Nadul last six months players who face him beat them selfs and that`s sign of a great champion.And I am Novak supporter.

Two sets away from winning the AO and you say that?

GlennMirnyi
02-14-2009, 06:40 PM
:rolls: This thread is GREAT!

So, Nadal is

1. still a moonballer, even though technically speaking he doesn't moonball anymore.
2. lucky, which is the only explanation of his success. Considering his results of late, he must carry a leprechaun around in his pocket. :shrug: Bastard.
3. bringing about the death of tennis, as evidenced by the fact that he does not draw a crowd AT ALL. Most unpopular No. 1 ever. The nerve.

What do you know about technique anyway? You can't differentiate topspin from flat anyway.

Don't expect logic from Nadulltards.

GlennMirnyi
02-14-2009, 06:41 PM

No. He only won because Federer's afraid of him. Any other Wimbledon finalist would beat the hell out of him.

:rolleyes:

Guy Haines
02-14-2009, 07:31 PM
No. He only won because Federer's afraid of him. Any other Wimbledon finalist would beat the hell out of him.

:rolleyes:

Glenn, are you using this board to write a Bible of Excuses for Nadal's Dominance? Everything that you say in terms of winning or losing he ends up proving wrong.

This thread is hilarious. Has some good stuff, too. For the last year or two I thought Nadal had his eye on the long run instead of establishing #1 dominance and making the most of it. But I'm starting to doubt that. His marathon stint at Rotterdam has me wondering. That's a good and disconcerting post, andylovesaustin. And Tom (Bombaudil, not "Paulson" :o) you add a disturbing amount of common sense to MTF.

Without a doubt, Tsonga is the wild card of Wimbledon if he can keep his health in check.

I want him to bust into the Rafa-Fed show, or at least challenge it, because that show can't really best last year's final. :wavey:

But I'm not absolutely sold on the fact that he can beat Federer or Nadal at Wimbledon. He thrives off of the crowd, and Wimbledon is a bit buttoned-up for antics. He'd have to remake the tournament in his image. Possible.

Foxy
02-14-2009, 07:41 PM

I agree with the initial poster. He won't win a slam nevertheless he was 2 sets away. Sorry, I just can't see it which slam could be taken by Jo. AO2008 was a fluke. End of discussion.

Lopez
02-14-2009, 07:44 PM
When Nidhogg said it was "a pity" I assumed he/she was expressing sorrow for the misfortune of Tsonga. As Tsonga was by far the poorer player in the match I was questioning why he/she would express such a sentiment.

Now I see that his/her "a pity" was an expression of sorrow for tragedy tennis has suffered with Nadal winning another match, and I can add him/her to the ranks of moronic haters.

That's nice George W. Bush logic right there. You're either with me or against me. Apparently, anyone who doesn't have Nadal's ass as their cell phone background/desktop image/ home wallpaper is a hater.

Some might have preferred that Tsonga would have won Nadal and were disappointed with the result. Anyone has a right to be disappointed in a sporting result they would have liked to have gone the other way. When Nadal lost in Wimbledon 2007, I bet many of his fans were disappointed.

Still, I fail to see where Nidhogg expressed any hate. I guess I'm not as paranoid as you :p.

cmurray
02-14-2009, 07:50 PM
What do you know about technique anyway? You can't differentiate topspin from flat anyway.

:lol: Yes, you're right. Topspin and hitting the ball flat look EXACTLY the same. :hug:

I can't believe you're willing to look so foolish in an effort to maintain that hitting the ball with topspin automatically equals moonballing. You're certainly dedicated. :lol:

GlennMirnyi
02-14-2009, 07:53 PM

Glenn, are you using this board to write a Bible of Excuses for Nadal's Dominance? Everything that you say in terms of winning or losing he ends up proving wrong.

This thread is hilarious. Has some good stuff, too. For the last year or two I thought Nadal had his eye on the long run instead of establishing #1 dominance and making the most of it. But I'm starting to doubt that. His marathon stint at Rotterdam has me wondering. That's a good and disconcerting post, andylovesaustin. And Tom (Bombaudil, not "Paulson" :o) you add a disturbing amount of common sense to MTF.

Without a doubt, Tsonga is the wild card of Wimbledon if he can keep his health in check.

I want him to bust into the Rafa-Fed show, or at least challenge it, because that show can't really best last year's final. :wavey:

But I'm not absolutely sold on the fact that he can beat Federer or Nadal at Wimbledon. He thrives off of the crowd, and Wimbledon is a bit buttoned-up for antics. He'd have to remake the tournament in his image. Possible.

The hype is unbearable. If you like it, it's your problem. It's not definitely my cup of tea.

BackhandMissile
02-14-2009, 08:06 PM

That leaves Roddick, Hewitt and Nalbandian.

l_mac
02-14-2009, 08:35 PM
That's nice George W. Bush logic right there. You're either with me or against me. Apparently, anyone who doesn't have Nadal's ass as their cell phone background/desktop image/ home wallpaper is a hater.

Some might have preferred that Tsonga would have won Nadal and were disappointed with the result. Anyone has a right to be disappointed in a sporting result they would have liked to have gone the other way. When Nadal lost in Wimbledon 2007, I bet many of his fans were disappointed.

Still, I fail to see where Nidhogg expressed any hate. I guess I'm not as paranoid as you :p.

I already said my confusion was with his wording. I would susually understand someone saying a result was a "pity" when one player had been dreadfully unlucky. There was nothing to "pity" in this match unless you just hate to see Nadal go forward. He was the better player by far :shrug:

And as Nidhogg is on record as saying he finds it amusing the way Nadal pounds his body and delights in his injuries ( he/she "laughs" as Rafa's joints take a beating :tears:), it is not such a stretch to assume he/she is a hater. Or you think the unbiased fan thinks that way :confused:

Lopez
02-14-2009, 08:38 PM
I don't follow the writings of posters here that closely :p. But I take your word.

delpiero7
02-14-2009, 09:13 PM

Don't expect logic from Nadulltards.

So it would be perfectly logical for me to say that Clement and Scheuttler still have a fighting chance of winning a slam, seeing as they also reached the AO final? Which is a Mickey Mouse slam right? So even if Tsonga had won it in '08, it would have to have an asterisk next to it.

gogogirl
02-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Hey All,

There will always be haters of players. Some hate Rafa - and some hate Jo - and oh lookie here - some hate both. So what? Who cares? Those of us that are true tennis fans are the real winners.

I saw Jo's SA semi and final matches on TV this past week - and he played pretty well. I love to watch him play. I love how he unloads on that forehand at times. I loved how he won his home town Paris MS title last November too. What a blessing it turned out to be for him.

I doubt there is a player alive that plays perfect and makes the right shot selection all of the time. Someone has to play the important points better than their opponent when it counts or there would never be a winner.

I also love to watch Rafa play. He is so mentally tough and never gives up. He won two five setters to take the AO title in his last two matches - and it is just remarkable the way he bull fights his way thru. He won his third three setter on yesterday - and paid Gael back today. He deserves his top spot until players begin to take him out more often than not.

There is no question in my mind that T-Songa will beat Rafa again - and no question that he'll win a slam. Both of them got game. It's clueless to say Jo can't one day find the fire he had within and on display at last year's AO in beating Rafa. If a player can play like that once - said one can find it like that again. It is just a matter of execution and of it all coming together for said one again. And a duh!

Good luck to both for the rest of 09. I hope they both stay healthy.

PS. Just like Jo beat Rafa once - and has lost to him ever since. The same can be said for D-Vic beating Jo once - and having lost to him ever since. That's tennis folks. And at times - it is about matchups. Us true fans know this.

Nidhogg
02-15-2009, 03:33 PM

I see. That's your way of seeing it, but for me tennis is about entertainment. Nadal off clay doesn't entertain me in any other way than that of a farce.

Far too kind. You got it all figured out, don't you. :lol:

Nidhogg
02-15-2009, 04:52 PM
And as Nidhogg is on record as saying he finds it amusing the way Nadal pounds his body and delights in his injuries ( he/she "laughs" as Rafa's joints take a beating :tears:), it is not such a stretch to assume he/she is a hater. Or you think the unbiased fan thinks that way :confused:

What have we here? Yes, granted, I tend to laugh at stupidity, but in Nadal's case I'm also disgusted by what he's doing to his body.

EDIT: I might have gone overboard saying what he's doing to his body disgusts me more than his gamestyle, but he only has himself to blame being desperate to prove himself on all surfaces. How many times haven't we heard "he was tired" after a flat performance? Well, duh? No wonder, given the way he plays. I don't like the idea of someone with such a grueling style is the one kids will want to emulate.