Costa do Sauipe R2: Bellucci beats Kubot 5-7 6-4 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Costa do Sauipe R2: Bellucci beats Kubot 5-7 6-4 6-4

Sapeod
02-11-2009, 11:38 PM
:( Kubot was up a break in the third but screwed it up. Never mind :) Bellucci served 18 aces. :eek:

dijus
02-11-2009, 11:39 PM
typical stuff by Kubot

Montego
02-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Damn, Kubot. He was the better player for 3/4 of the match. 4-2 up in 3rd to lose 4-6. He could have been the first Pole in QF since.......errrr............. Fibak ?

TankingTheSet
02-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Great effort from Kubot this week, the guy had to finish his match yesterday at 3:00am local time, and today had the local favourite on the brink of defeat. Kubot lost 5 games from 4-1* in the third set.
Bellucci didn't know how to handle Kubot coming to the net for a lot of the match.

Nathaliia
02-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Very typical by Kubot. Crazy that a headcase like Bellucci can win a mental game against anyone.

Well done, Monica.

Montego, Przysiężny played Sopot QF 2006.

Voo de Mar
02-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Damn, Kubot. He was the better player for 3/4 of the match. 4-2 up in 3rd to lose 4-6. He could have been the first Pole in QF since.......errrr............. Fibak ?

Outside Poland = yes... Rotterdam 1986.
Przysiezny partially by a fluke (Coria's retirement) was a quarterfinalist in Sopot 3 years ago.

shotgun
02-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Kubot choked big time there. Congrats to Bellucci on his first ATP quarterfinal, but he'll have to play a lot better to take out Ferrero.

gaitare
02-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Kubot has some French blood in him. Przysiezny as well. Luc Cubot and Michel Pschysiegnaux.

Montego
02-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Montego, Przysiężny played Sopot QF 2006.

It doesn't count :devil: Home soil, one retirement en route and mug in 2nd round.

U-bot could have been the QFlist after coming from qualies and beating two decent claycourters in South America. Sucky, sucky that he lost it.

Voo de Mar
02-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Kubot choked big time there. Congrats to Bellucci on his first ATP quarterfinal, but he'll have to play a lot better to take out Ferrero.

I hope he'll overcome Ferrero albeit I don't like his raw style, actually only good serve and heavy topspin forehand. Anyway good win for the Brazilian audience. They were very supporting for Bellucci in the third set. Kubot out of gas on the other hand.

Nathaliia
02-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Kubot has some French blood in him. Przysiezny as well. Luc Cubot and Michel Pschysiegnaux.

:spit:

too big

GugaF1
02-11-2009, 11:52 PM
I don't think that it was all Kubot. Bellucci had many chances throughout the match and he made many crazy mistakes. There was one that it was a lob in the service line he managed to hit on the net. I don't think it is because he is a mental player, I think he is still adapting to playing on ATP level. And there is huge pressure on him on this week, being the sole Brazilian player with any kind of chance of doing something.

I think it will be a much better match with Ferreiro, two players with a nice clay court game. It has the chance of being a much better much than Kubot, who has a game much more suited for something like indoor hard.... Such flat strokes, don't know how he manages to do so well on clay.

Montego
02-11-2009, 11:58 PM
I have to admit that at 4-1 in 3rd I had already prepared thread "Kubot downs Bellucci 7-5 4-6 6- to reach first career QF"

Our tennis is such a mess, we haven't had a Top100 player since 20 years. Kowalski was 108th once. Worse than Haiti, but still better than Taijkistan.

shotgun
02-11-2009, 11:58 PM
I hope he'll overcome Ferrero albeit I don't like his raw style, actually only good serve and heavy topspin forehand. Anyway good win for the Brazilian audience. They were very supporting for Bellucci in the third set. Kubot out of gas on the other hand.

Yeah his only weapons are his serve, his FH (when it's working) and the dropshots, and only on clay because of the long swings he has. His BH is poor, his returns are clownish, and the net game is inexistent.

It's good for the tournament to have a Brazilian in the latter stages, the audience will be bigger.

Voo de Mar
02-11-2009, 11:59 PM
I think it will be a much better match with Ferreiro, two players with a nice clay court game. It has the chance of being a much better much than Kubot, who has a game much more suited for something like indoor hard.... Such flat strokes, don't know how he manages to do so well on clay.

Fully agree except bold.

Nathaliia
02-12-2009, 12:00 AM
I have to admit that at 4-1 in 3rd I had already prepared thread "Kubot downs Bellucci 7-5 4-6 6- to reach first career QF"

Our tennis is such a mess, we haven't had a Top100 player since 20 years. Kowalski was 108th once. Worse than Haiti, but still better than Taijkistan.
But not sure for how long.

Voo de Mar
02-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Our tennis is such a mess, we haven't had a Top100 player since 20 years. Kowalski was 108th once.

It was better ranking than play because he worked it out in Challengers. Kubot at least won two matches at the US Open. Kowalski never won two matches ina row on this level :o

GugaF1
02-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Yeah his only weapons are his serve, his FH (when it's working) and the dropshots, and only on clay because of the long swings he has. His BH is poor, his returns are clownish, and the net game is inexistent.

It's good for the tournament to have a Brazilian in the latter stages, the audience will be bigger.

I think it is very early to determine what exactly is good and no good for Bellucci like that. He is still baby crawling on the ATP level, with not much confidence and matches put together, until about now.

He has much to develop and let his game flow. I have seen people talking about how weak is his BH, but I have also see him deliver some blowing winners on that side as well. So we got to wait and see him more developed and matured at level ATP I think, in order to establish things like that.

I feel for the guy a lot, Brazilian media treats him like some kind of saviour, and he is at the moment the only Brazilian player with good chances. And in all he was only getting to CH. level last year. So I don't blame him for feeling a pile of nerves.

Montego
02-12-2009, 12:13 AM
It was better ranking than play because he worked it out in Challengers. Kubot at least won two matches at the US Open. Kowalski never won two matches ina row on this level :o

Once Eurosport showed Muster - Kowalski somewhere in USA probably if I remember well. It was a humiliation.

Voo de Mar
02-12-2009, 12:16 AM
Once Eurosport showed Muster - Kowalski somewhere in USA probably if I remember well. It was a humiliation.

Yes, it was in Cincinnati, Muster was No. 2 then, and Kowalski had a privilge at the end of career to play on Centre Court in a big event for the first time. One year earlier he played 5-set match against Forget on Suzanne Lenglen in Paris. Two highlights of his poor career, simultaneously the best career in men's tennis in Poland in the 90's.

Montego
02-12-2009, 12:22 AM
Two highlights of his poor career, simultaneously the best career in men's tennis in Poland in the 90's.

I feel like crying when reading this. And to think that our future depends on Janowicz :bolt:

Smoke944
02-12-2009, 12:25 AM
I feel like crying when reading this. And to think that our future depends on Janowicz :bolt:

Your future is in good hands with Janowicz I'd say.

Montego
02-12-2009, 12:28 AM
Your future is in good hands with Janowicz I'd say.

We will see, but I don't like serving machines, thus :bolt:

Well, we have a saying "When there are no fish in the pond, even a cancer can be treated as a fish" (good translation isn't it?)
So I am following Janowicz's career with interest.

Voo de Mar
02-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Other two interesting facts about this Polish "icon" in the gap between Fibak and the current mugs:

Aaron Krickstein played his last ATP match against Kowalski
Mariano Zabaleta played his first ATP match against Kowalski

:rocker2:

GlennMirnyi
02-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Great effort from Kubot this week, the guy had to finish his match yesterday at 3:00am local time, and today had the local favourite on the brink of defeat. Kubot lost 5 games from 4-1* in the third set.
Bellucci didn't know how to handle Kubot coming to the net for a lot of the match.

That's because Bellucci can't play against anyone who takes up the net. :)

safinafan
02-12-2009, 12:31 AM
:aparty: Tommy won his first ATP second round match :bounce:

gaitare
02-12-2009, 12:36 AM
This thread will have more posts than Nadal-Bolelli thread. I remember that Eurosport showed the final match point of that Roland Garros Forget-Kowalski match, I was soooooooooooo excited that I saw o glimpse of Polish tennis on tv. Later came Grzybowska (a female version of Mardy Fish, very good backhand, shit forehand) and it was awesome to hear Simon Reed and David Mercer pronounce that name. It wasn't as funny as them dealing with Hrbaty though:( One of them got overexcited and started calling Grzybowska The Polish Spice Girl. Pervert.

These were the times, at least being a kid meant having such a great time, although Polish tennis was crap.

felipe2004
02-12-2009, 12:37 AM
First ATP QF for Bellucci! :D

Montego
02-12-2009, 12:38 AM
These were the times, at least being a kid meant having such a great time, although Polish tennis was crap.

Same here :)

gaitare
02-12-2009, 12:40 AM

Well, we have a saying "When there are no fish in the pond, even a cancer can be treated as a fish" (good translation isn't it?)

crayfish;)

Other two interesting facts about this
Polish "icon" in the gap between Fibak and the current mugs:

Aaron Krickstein played his last ATP match against Kowalski
Mariano Zabaleta played his first ATP match against Kowalski

:rocker2:

Good too know, thanks:)

gaitare
02-12-2009, 12:44 AM

Me too:) With some notable exceptions. I haven't watched Janowicz play, I've just heard that his groundstrokes and movement are not bad at all for a person of his height. Let's wait and see:)

roberthenman
02-12-2009, 01:54 AM
:bigclap: Come on Thomaz this is your tournament

HattonWBA
02-12-2009, 07:00 AM
good fightback in the third, glad bellucci won this one

Guille.
02-12-2009, 07:15 AM
:banana:

madmanfool
02-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Somebody buy this Bellucci a brain. He makes such poor shot selections, so many errors,..

shawshank
02-12-2009, 09:35 AM
First, Przysiezny broke my heart few weeks ago when he was serving for the match against Beck to set up a clash with Nadal.
Then Fyrstenberg/Matkowski made me sad when they lost at AO because of Mariusz's injury.
And now Kubot. He played such a good tennis. He must have been tired, but anyway he had 4/1 and he was just two balls away from 5/2. Why Lukasz?

Believe me, keeping fingers crossed for Polish players is the most demanding thing to do. You'll always end up sad and angry:(

Nathaliia
02-12-2009, 09:53 AM
First, Przysiezny broke my heart few weeks ago when he was serving for the match against Beck to set up a clash with Nadal.
Then Fyrstenberg/Matkowski made me sad when they lost at AO because of Mariusz's injury.
And now Kubot. He played such a good tennis. He must have been tired, but anyway he had 4/1 and he was just two balls away from 5/2. Why Lukasz?

Believe me, keeping fingers crossed for Polish players is the most demanding thing to do. You'll always end up sad and angry:(

Add to that three Polish players lost in 3rd set TB in Wrocław challenger after having several chances to win throughout their matches. Had the "pleasure" of watching live - heartbreaking.

shawshank
02-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Add to that three Polish players lost in 3rd set TB in Wrocław challenger after having several chances to win throughout their matches. Had the "pleasure" of watching live - heartbreaking.

I was thinking about writing it as well. But I said, hey, nobody would even believe me that three best Polish players could lose their matches in first round of Challenger in third set tiebreaks. Horrible!

JMG
02-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Two highlights of his poor career, simultaneously the best career in men's tennis in Poland in the 90's.

That's not a poor career.

That's because Bellucci can't play against anyone who takes up the net. :)

This clown was 3 meters behind the baseline even for the returns of second serve. :cuckoo:

JMG
02-12-2009, 10:37 AM

I'm sure Polish players win tight matches just as often as they lose.

Nathaliia
02-12-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm sure Polish players win tight matches just as often as they lose.
Oh yes, Janowicz beat Mahut last year in a thight match so this year he was allowed to lose to Cruciat ;) Kubot lost deciding quallies matches in 3rd set TB to Bastl and Sirianni last year (Stockholm and Queens respectively...).

When the pressure is big - the problem starts.

GlennMirnyi
02-12-2009, 03:01 PM
I watched the VT of this match during the early hours of the morning today and I gotta say - although this wasn't a choke by definition, it was as close as it can be. 4/1 30-30 and from then on Kubot simply couldn't hit 2 shots inside the court in a row.

Voo de Mar
02-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Oh yes, Janowicz beat Mahut last year in a thight match so this year he was allowed to lose to Cruciat ;) Kubot lost deciding quallies matches in 3rd set TB to Bastl and Sirianni last year (Stockholm and Queens respectively...).

When the pressure is big - the problem starts.

It's not completely truth. The fact is Kubot loses lately many tight matches. But at one stage of his career, he had stunning record of tight matches. When he was drifting between Futures nad Challengers.