Ferrero def. Montanes 6-7 6-2 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ferrero def. Montanes 6-7 6-2 6-2

Sapeod
02-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Montanes :o No chance of being seeded for Roland Garros now. Really :rolleyes:

carlos pera
02-10-2009, 09:29 PM
It was a great match of Ferrero,his forehand was brillinat.Montaņes also play well,especially in the first set and in the tie break.

Hope Ferrero reaches at least semifinales.Cīmon Ferrero!!!

HattonWBA
02-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Yh played great did JCF in sets 2 and 3, hope he goes far also. Montanes has started year poorly to be honest but definetley some encouraging signs from his display here

Voo de Mar
02-10-2009, 09:32 PM
In the first set Montanes saved double setpoint at 5:6 with unusual style for him - ace and service winner. It was his first winning set after losing 15 ina row :lol:

Sapeod
02-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Yh played great did JCF in sets 2 and 3, hope he goes far also. Montanes has started year poorly to be honest but definetley some encouraging signs from his display here

Really. Maybe it was just bad luck that Albert got Cuevas (at Vina del Mar :scared:) and Ferrero who is a very good player. Maybe he will be better next week. He's seeded 6th for Buenos Aires.

Henry Chinaski
02-10-2009, 09:36 PM
It was a great match of Ferrero,his forehand was brillinat.Montaņes also play well,especially in the first set and in the tie break.

Hope Ferrero reaches at least semifinales.Cīmon Ferrero!!!

What were you watching? I only watched the first set and a half but it was some of the ugliest tennis I've ever seen.

Montanes got 39% 1st serves in and still won the set. That says it all.

Ferrero had about 10 framed forehands and 10 bh unforced errors off 2nd serves. watching Montanes standing in Equatorial Guinea to receive serve and dumping backhand returns into the net repeatedly was also amusing. Then he apparently just stopped trying. I don't know if he was injured or tired or what but he was moving like Isner's 30 stone cousin out there in the last 2 sets.

*bunny*
02-10-2009, 09:43 PM
What were you watching? I only watched the first set and a half but it was some of the ugliest tennis I've ever seen.

Montanes got 39% 1st serves in and still won the set. That says it all.

Ferrero had about 10 framed forehands and 10 bh unforced errors off 2nd serves. watching Montanes standing in Equatorial Guinea to receive serve and dumping backhand returns into the net repeatedly was also amusing. Then he apparently just stopped trying. I don't know if he was injured or tired or what but he was moving like Isner's 30 stone cousin out there in the last 2 sets.
The match completely turned around in the second set. Yeah the first set was ugly...or tortuous I would say. Both guys started slowly and making many UEs, and although Ferrero sort of found his rhythm halfway, he couldn't take the 2 SPs in the 10th game and played a poor TB.
But he was on fire in the second and third set, hitting winners from all over the place. He led 5-0 before Montanes managed one break of serve.

The match lasted 131 minutes of which the first set was about 80 minutes. The second and third set went really quickly with not only Ferrero winners but a few nice rallies.

I suspect Ferrero started the match a bit gingerly becuase he had a wrist problem since Australia and didn't decide to play this week until after he arrived in Brazil late last week. Maybe the wrist felt OK and he was able to hit more freely from the second set.

Voo de Mar
02-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Ferrero has been playing first tournament as a player outside Top 100 since June 1999... :D

He was poor today, Montanes on the other hand is in a nightmarish slump, but don't think the current Ferrero's form is characteristic for his ATP position. It's more a matter of losing many points (last year he had good start of the season - final in Auckland, 4th round AO).

HattonWBA
02-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Really. Maybe it was just bad luck that Albert got Cuevas (at Vina del Mar :scared:) and Ferrero who is a very good player. Maybe he will be better next week. He's seeded 6th for Buenos Aires.

Yh he needs a kind draw, cuevas plays great in vina del mar and jcf has credentials and can still string together some very good performances, also he drawed murray and gulbis in first round of hard court events, maybe he will put wins together when a draw opens up for him, been a bit rough at the start of this year to be honest.

*bunny*
02-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Ferrero has been playing first tournament as a player outside Top 100 since June 1999... :D

He was poor today, Montanes on the other hand is in a nightmarish slump, but don't think the current Ferrero's form is characteristic for his ATP position. It's more a matter of losing many points (last year he had good start of the season - final in Auckland, 4th round AO).
And don't forget he was sidelined for nearly four months because of an abductor injury.

Sapeod
02-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Yh he needs a kind draw, cuevas plays great in vina del mar and jcf has credentials and can still string together some very good performances, also he drawed murray and gulbis in first round of hard court events, maybe he will put wins together when a draw opens up for him, been a bit rough at the start of this year to be honest.

He usually does bad at the start of the year anyway. He is normally unstoppable on challengers, until the final or something and can be dangerous on clay event in March, April, May etc.

Henry Chinaski
02-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Montanes shaved his badass long hair. It's the Samson effect.