What does Roger say? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What does Roger say?

RonE
08-04-2004, 02:56 PM
Often in matches I have heard him say "gooble" or something that sounded like it- he says it sometimes when he plays a silly shot, or makes an error. Does anyone know what he actually says and what it means? I asked a friend of mine from Zurich and she told me she had no clue and that it could be a slang term only used by the Basel German speakers. Does anyone know?

tschaeggy
08-04-2004, 08:03 PM
really, does he?? I never heard him say it, but this word sounds for me like "Duubel", this is "Basel-German" and means about nearly "silly boy"! What do you other swiss mean??

RogiFan88
08-04-2004, 08:10 PM
funny, cute Rogi!!

I remember once he hit a bad shot ages ago and he just said to himself "stupid!" lol!!

jtipson
08-04-2004, 08:52 PM
I love it, the way he talks to himself in all different languages :)

But I prefer when he doesn't talk at all, that's usually when he's playing better!

RonE
08-04-2004, 09:37 PM
really, does he?? I never heard him say it, but this word sounds for me like "Duubel", this is "Basel-German" and means about nearly "silly boy"! What do you other swiss mean??

That could be it. Now that you said what it means I'm almost sure it is it. He always says it after he makes a stupid error. Thanks, tschaeggy :yeah:

LCeh
08-04-2004, 09:41 PM
:haha: at Rogi calling himself a silly boy...

RogiFan88
08-05-2004, 03:07 AM
you know a player is in trouble when he starts talking to himself... a sure sign of frustration...

I do like it when Rogi shouts and gets pumped tho...

holagirl56
08-05-2004, 07:24 PM
I've always thought that he was swearing in Swizterland (sp?) people language.

Roger's cool though.

Colosseo
08-07-2004, 03:15 PM
Haha, he is so lovely!

RonE
03-29-2006, 03:48 PM
BUMP

You know, i just realized I haven't heard him call himself a "Duubel" in quite a while. I am shocked to say this, but I kinda miss him saying it. Of course, I would rather he didn't since that means he made some stupid mistake but still, if he is doomed to make the occassional mistake why not throw in the occassional duubel? ;)

PaulieM
03-29-2006, 06:03 PM
i like when rogi get's a little feisty, like when he bitched to the umpire they other day about the challenge system being stupid, something along the lines of "oh yeah guys great, this is really going to work." it was HOT! :hearts:

Rogiman
03-29-2006, 07:33 PM
Twice being broken at 4:4, Duubel! :mad:

RogiFan88
03-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Doppel Duubel...

lunahielo
03-29-2006, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by RogiFan
Doppel Duubel...

This made my day! Thanks. :bowdown:
:rolls: :rolls: :rolls:
luna

RonE
03-30-2006, 04:19 AM
Doppel Duubel...

Quadruple Duubel ohne sprudel. :p

SUKTUEN
03-30-2006, 03:00 PM
He always make people happy

Stevens Point
04-02-2006, 06:08 PM
He said it today vs Ljubicic, didn't he? Did anyone hear it as well?

tschaeggy
04-02-2006, 07:36 PM

no couldn't hear it. but he had several times to say it, gosh this was nervekilling! ;)

Stevens Point
04-02-2006, 08:12 PM
no couldn't hear it. but he had several times to say it, gosh this was nervekilling! ;)
I remember three shoutings from Roger in today's match. There was one high voice from Roger when his shot was too long. Sometime after that, he shouted, and it sounded "Duubel", then I thought of this thread. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't :p Right after this shouting, he shouted again and it was just "Ahh!!!"

deekaye
04-02-2006, 08:27 PM
I love it, the way he talks to himself in all different languages :)

But I prefer when he doesn't talk at all, that's usually when he's playing better!

jtipson:

I am replying to this by way of relief from the tension of seeing Roger win 3 tiebreak sets against "potato head" (MacEnroe's nickname not mine!).Twice I heard Roger yell in triumph when making 2 winners in a crisis situation. Difficult to hear what he said but it sounded like his native Swiss-german.
By his own standards Federer was nowhere near his best.Compare his form in this final with his recent Indian Wells victory when he demolished Ljubicic 6-2;6-2. On this form potato head was justified in saying that he was confident against any player in the world with the exception of Federer. On service at least he wins more points than the world no.1 although at critical moments Roger comes up with aces of his own.
I can now relax and watch the recording of the final knowing it had a happy ending. In the girlfrien/wife stakes Ljubicic has the edge. His wife Aida is definitely prettier than Roger's girlfriend

RonE
04-02-2006, 08:33 PM

YYEEESSSSS!!!!! I heard it too - in the 2nd set he definitely roared "Duubel".

:D

RonE
04-03-2006, 03:00 PM
I just saw the match again- it was at 5-5 in the second set, 15-0 on the Ljubicic serve, Ljubo hits a big serve which roger cannot retrieve and Roger shouted at first what I though was "Stop It!" but then I realized it was in fact a huge roar of "Duuuubbbbaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllll" :D

SUKTUEN
04-03-2006, 04:23 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!

Stevens Point
04-03-2006, 08:38 PM
I just saw the match again- it was at 5-5 in the second set, 15-0 on the Ljubicic serve, Ljubo hits a big serve which roger cannot retrieve and Roger shouted at first what I though was "Stop It!" but then I realized it was in fact a huge roar of "Duuuubbbbaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllll" :D
It was actually the first time I heard him say it. :p