GUILLE NOT PLAYING IN ATHENS [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

GUILLE NOT PLAYING IN ATHENS

tenniscoocoon
08-04-2004, 04:56 AM
After the studies done in Argentina Guille is not going to be in Athens. We will miss you. :sad:

maplered
08-04-2004, 05:15 AM
are you sure?
I will die if he won't turn up at ATHENS.

tenniscoocoon
08-04-2004, 05:23 AM
Yes is all over the newspapers in Argentina....a friend just told me...he might need surgery or the best case scenario would be 2-3 months without playing.

maplered
08-04-2004, 05:33 AM
I can't believe!That's impossible!
His dream, his Olympics, his gold medal...

|-Safin_Coria-|
08-04-2004, 01:58 PM
i read on his message board -- i didn't want to believe it!
get well soon el mago :hug:

fabolous
08-04-2004, 03:27 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

boliviana
08-04-2004, 03:42 PM
Here is what the Associated Press wrote today about Guille: :banghead:

Third-ranked Coria withdraws from Olympics

The Associated Press
8/4/2004, 10:12 a.m. ET

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) — Third-ranked Guillermo Coria, one of Argentina's greatest hopes for an Olympic gold medal, will not compete in Athens because of a shoulder injury, his trainer said Wednesday.

The 22-year-old Coria has tendinitis in his right shoulder and tests indicated he would not recover in time for the Olympic tennius tournament Aug. 15-22, trainer Cristian Elseser said.

"We are going to do further tests, but it's already ruled out: he will not be going to Athens," Elseser told local reporters.

Argentina hasn't won an Olympic gold medal in 52 years and Coria, one of the world's top clay-court players, has long said winning a medal in Athens was one of his goals.

Runner-up to fellow Argentine Gaston Gaudio in this year's French Open, Coria has climbed to No. 3 in the ATP rankings this year.

The announcement came after Coria flew to Buenos Aires after withdrawing from a Masters Series tournament in Cincinnati, Ohio. After arriving this week, a somber-looking Coria went to a clinic for tests and left without making a statement.

Coria has been vexed by the problem since Wimbledon and went more than a month without competing before resuming play wiht a Masters Series event last month in Canada.

Under Olympic guidelines, 40th-ranked Mariano Zabaleta is next in line to replace Coria on the Argentine tennis squad in Athens. Already on Argentina's squad for Athens are fifth-ranked David Nalbandian, No. 9 Gaudio, and No. 32 Juan Ignacio Chela.

landoud
08-04-2004, 03:45 PM
i can't believe this :bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::hysteric:

fabolous
08-04-2004, 03:45 PM
he will need at least 2 months to recover. this means: no olympics, no us open. this means: no gold medal, no longer no 3 of the world ( he will lose MANY points, must be happy if he stays in top 5).........how terrible is this news?

|-Safin_Coria-|
08-04-2004, 03:50 PM
extremely terrible!
i wanted to see him at USO :bigcry:

boliviana
08-04-2004, 03:51 PM
I think with the injury he has, his ranking is protected for some period of time. It's not like when he had those problems before and got suspended. I don't understand exactly how it works but I know that when Serena and Venus were out becuase of injuries they were granted certain privileges on tour and coming into tournaments. It doesn't last forever but the tour I think tries not to kick you too hard when you are down.

If somebody understands better how that all works, I would love to understand it better.

Tricky_Forehand
08-04-2004, 05:20 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Guille's Girl
08-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Should I say "YaY!" or "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" Ok I'll say both: YaY!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw the news on ESPN :scratch: Poor Guille :sad: But he needs to let the shoulder rest. I heard he injured his right bicep too. 2-3 months of rest is not so bad. Vamos Guille! Just get better kid. We're still gonna be around :hug:

boliviana
08-04-2004, 07:52 PM
If he was trying to serve differently so as not to aggravate his shoulder, then he probably messed up his bicep that way. He overcompensated and threw everything out of whack. Poor guy. The year started out with so much promise. Hope he can hang in there and know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

boliviana
08-04-2004, 09:14 PM
There are two really nice shots of him but I have no clue how to copy them . . . one is on SportsIllustrated.com . . . on the front of their tennis page and the second one is on EuroSport.com . . .

solenne
08-04-2004, 09:19 PM
It's a joke................
It's impossible...........
I don't believe that......
It's not true.............

He don't play to Cincinnati for play to athenes..........

It's impossible.............. :bigcry:

kandykane
08-05-2004, 04:13 AM
it's totally heart breaking....

do you guys think he could make it to the TMC this year???

MaitaBaby
08-05-2004, 08:30 AM
that's sad.. I hope Guille recovers soon!!
hopefully he'll be healthy for next year and win some more titles!

Nikki♥
08-05-2004, 11:55 AM
That sucks, I mean he had a real chance to win a medal in Athens but if he needs some more time to recover then he should take it but the sad thing about it is that now it´ll take even longer until we all see him again. Speed recovery Guille and come back soon with a big bang. :angel:

|-Safin_Coria-|
08-05-2004, 02:03 PM
speedy recover - preferably 2 weeks or less :D in time for US Open *wishful thinking*
what are his chances at TMC? :confused:

kandykane
08-05-2004, 05:24 PM
he's got 480 points, i think it's enough to make the TMC, but if he's not recovered, he probably won't play....

LubiG
08-09-2004, 01:36 AM
*cries like crazy* :bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::b igcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::big cry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

snifff... this was his dream...Plus, he'll also miss the US Open!!

|-Safin_Coria-|
08-09-2004, 01:46 AM
......missing the US Open.....
that just kills me :tears: