Grigor Dimitrov - future GOAT candidate? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Grigor Dimitrov - future GOAT candidate?

FedFan_2007
02-06-2009, 08:48 AM
I could see him playing the role of Federer for the next decade given his 1-handed backhand and won Orange Bowl & Junior Grand slams titles. Also 17, literally born 10 years after Federer. Heck, I'm picking him to beat Nadal at Rotterdam!

Future match picks:

2011 Wimbledon 4R: Dimitrov def Federer(17 slams) in 5 sets
2021 Wimbledon 4R: Silva def Dimitrov(21 slams) in 5 sets
2031 Wimbledon 4R: ??? def Silva(30 slams) in 5 sets

so the cycle of life continues on forever...

HattonWBA
02-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Have you seen his previous record against some of these guys,
Golubev 0-6 4-6
Andreev 1-6 3-6
Garcia Lopez 1-6 2-6
Serra 3-6 3-6
Meffert 3-6 0-6
Kindelman 0-6 2-6
Plus he has not been past the 2nd round of a future this year having played two of them and has always got pretty convincly beat on the challenger tour, i would say give the guy another year before he hangs with the top 20 -30 players for sure. He will be a great player tho.

FedFan_2007
02-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Point is I'm sticking my neck out picking this guy to be a future #1 and grand slam champ RIGHT NOW. I will be a fucking MTF legend! :rocker2:

Tankman
02-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Oh poor FedFan... your idol's lost and now you've lost the plot :p

Anyway, it doesn't matter what you and I think of Dmitrov and the reasons for this thread. At this stage, me saying that Bernard Tomic (:rocker2:) will become the GOAT has more credence than your claims. And he's got the results to back it up right now :p:p

And get this! He's SIXTEEN.

He and his father may be arrogant pricks, and he risks becoming a latter-day MacEnroe (off court anyway), but at least his results back up his attitude. :rocker2:

Which is more than can be said for Dmitrov... and Silva for that matter :lol:

Australian news media just reported a 4yo girl who Rick Macci tips to be better than the Williamses. While WTA talk does not belong here, I'm merely bringing this up as an example. That if someone is truly great, they get the hype young or they get the results young or they're very, very fortunate. And Mr Dmitrov does not fall into the first category until you convince me otherwise.

Of course this could all just be a joke, and I could end up being the fool - but at least I acknowledge that :haha:

A_Skywalker
02-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Considering bulgarians do good in juniors and then they simply disappear or play challengers and small atp tournaments I guess this will not happen.

Tankman
02-06-2009, 09:52 AM
final nail in the coffin

i lack the proper smileys though :p

duong
02-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Anyway, it doesn't matter what you and I think of Dmitrov and the reasons for this thread. At this stage, me saying that Bernard Tomic (:rocker2:) will become the GOAT has more credence than your claims. And he's got the results to back it up right now :p:p

And get this! He's SIXTEEN.

Krajinovic as well.

And his results are as impressive so far.
And he's beaten Tomic when they met.

But I agree that both of them are the most promising so far.

More generally speaking, I think that :

- as well as Gasquet didn't have the game to succeed, I believe that the future is not for "baby-Federer"'s style of game : it's for great defensers (keeping the ball in play very well) with a powerful serve.

- 1992 generation might be the next challenge for current big players when they get older.

How does Dimitrov play by the way ?

Does he have a better forehand of backhand ?
Does he know sliced backhands ? volleys ?
Is his game based on power or more on variations ?

Bilbo
02-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Dimitrov is a mug player just like Gulbis

Tankman
02-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Krajinovic as well.

- as well as Gasquet didn't have the game to succeed, I believe that the future is not for "baby-Federer"'s style of game : it's for great defensers (keeping the ball in play very well) with a powerful serve.

- 1992 generation might be the next challenge for current big players when they get older.

hmm well you raise a lot of good points... and since I havent really followed juniors, I don't really know who Krajinovic is, apart from the fact he's likely to be Bosnian/Serbian/Montegrin/Croat etc ;)

But both these guys >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dmitrov IMHO

The time for baby Feds is over

duong
02-06-2009, 10:49 AM
hmm well you raise a lot of good points... and since I havent really followed juniors, I don't really know who Krajinovic is, apart from the fact he's likely to be Bosnian/Serbian/Montegrin/Croat etc ;)

Krajinovic is Serbian ... but was born in Croatia like Tomic, according to Petar Pan on a thread about Zagreb tournament.

He trains with Bollettieri.

Like Tomic, he will be a tall guy.

He's already made some good results in challengers.

He has a thread in the players' forum : he's also popular 'cause very cute :lol:

Tankman
02-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Krajinovic is Serbian ... but was born in Croatia like Tomic, according to Petar Pan on a thread about Zagreb tournament.

He trains with Bollettieri.

Like Tomic, he will be a tall guy.

He's already made some good results in challengers.

He has a thread in the players' forum : he's also popular 'cause very cute :lol:

oh great not another one :rolleyes: :o Tomic is already acting like a chick magnet :lol:

Aren't we glad to be so blessed :rolls:

ok jokes aside... this Serb sounds good too - look out Djoko brothers :p

Modetopia
02-06-2009, 11:04 AM
I remember Filip Krajinovic beat Robert Kendrick last year,
and Mariano Puerta @ Colombia recently.

duong
02-06-2009, 11:25 AM
oh great not another one :rolleyes: :o Tomic is already acting like a chick magnet :lol:

Aren't we glad to be so blessed :rolls:

yes : with Krajinovic, Tomic and Dimitrov, ladies will keep an eye on men's tennis :hearts:

Tankman
02-06-2009, 11:27 AM
yes : with Krajinovic, Tomic and Dimitrov, ladies will keep an eye on men's tennis :hearts:

i doubt it'll be just ladies :o :rolls:

Foxy
02-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Krajinovic as well.

Actually his BH is the better shot. He hits it more like Gasquet. His fav player is Federer and he is using some of his tricks not that successfully though. Dimitrov could improve his serve furthermore. He is not mixing it well. Doesn't have good sliced serve too. But overall he has the game.

About volleys and slices I could not give any details since I haven't watched him that much. They are average at best as far as I know.

His favourite surface is hard court.

miura
02-06-2009, 12:19 PM
I could see him playing the role of Federer for the next decade given his 1-handed backhand and won Orange Bowl & Junior Grand slams titles. Also 17, literally born 10 years after Federer. Heck, I'm picking him to beat Nadal at Rotterdam!

Future match picks:

What in the name of all thats holy is in your cereal??

maconick
02-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Actually his BH is the better shot. He hits it more like Gasquet. His fav player is Federer and he is using some of his tricks not that successfully though. Dimitrov could improve his serve furthermore. He is not mixing it well. Doesn't have good sliced serve too. But overall he has the game.

About volleys and slices I could not give any details since I haven't watched him that much. They are average at best as far as I know.

His favourite surface is hard court.

obviously u havent seen him play, because his forehand is the real weapon and his backhand although looks great and is consitent is average in power and depth.

*Viva Chile*
02-06-2009, 05:38 PM

Tomic family is a croat family for tradition... I'll tell you because I have friends in Chile with that last name ;)

zerocool_
02-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Well ye, Tomic has Croatian descents :) And Krajinovic is born in Sombor(Serbia) not Croatia :) Hope they all can fulfil they potential :)

CyBorg
02-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Dimitrov is already the greatest, because nutrition will be better and evolution and the whole shebang.

/typical MTF argument.

CyBorg
02-06-2009, 06:14 PM

Future match picks:

How can you be 31? It doesn't seem like you're fit to dress yourself.

zerocool_
02-06-2009, 06:17 PM
He probably typed wrong, instead of 13 he wrote 31 :)

oranges
02-07-2009, 12:53 AM
Leave the kid alone, he's not even a pro yet. Young is already too many for GOATs before doing anything worth mentioning, let alone winning a single slam.

FedFan_2007
02-07-2009, 12:55 AM
Donald Young didn't win 2 Junion slams and Orange Bowl. :rocker2:

out_here_grindin
02-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Yuki Bhambri is the future!!:music:

Tankman
02-07-2009, 05:37 AM
Tomic has won a bowl of sort in all age-categories though :shrug:

Isn't that a better sign of consistency?

And sorry for flaming you about Fed mate :awww: I see from your posts you have graciously accepted a changed state.

But I still think you're on something for thinking Dimitrov AND Silva will acheive the things you expect :p

Tankman
02-07-2009, 05:38 AM
Yuki Bhambri is the future!!:music:

It'd be nice if India would produce the next GOAT

Then we'd finally have eloquent, well-spoken posters on the forum with a good command of English :rolls:

Tankman
02-09-2009, 11:15 PM
bump

for you FF07 :p

lets see you put your money where your mouth is

WWW - Berdych or Dimtrov?

maconick
02-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Definitely!!! his serve is mix between Federer and Soderling!!!

TMJordan
02-12-2009, 08:45 PM
He is already the GOAT :rocker2:

FedererBulgaria
02-12-2009, 08:47 PM
he will

jmsx521
02-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Even though he lost, it's a boost of confidence for him. He was all smiles after the end.

I'd like to know where in the world is the Live Match Forum. After the Nadal vs. Dimitrov thread here was closed, I was posting in the Rotterdam thread and there were no posts there. There was another thread in the Gamblers' Lounge... is that where it is supposed to be? Thanks.

madmanfool
02-12-2009, 09:18 PM
amazing talent

l_mac
02-12-2009, 10:12 PM

Tomic?

I think not.

fred perry
02-12-2009, 10:48 PM
I say right now. He's the GOAT. :wavey:

Andi-M
02-12-2009, 10:52 PM

Future match picks:

No-one will ever win more slams than Steffi Graf. Ultimate goat.

chammer44
02-13-2009, 05:12 AM
GOAT herder.

HattonWBA
02-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Think you were right LOL, Huge forehand

orangehat
03-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Well for all those who aren't aware, Dimitrov just lost 7-6 7-5 to Udomchoke in the Bangkok CH 2nd round after holding 2 sps at 6-4 in the first set tiebreak. Once again a tight match, once again a grigor loss. Any thoughts?

JolánGagó
03-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Mods, please vaporize this stupid attempt at thread, thank you.

orangehat
03-18-2009, 11:27 AM
The only thing i can see that is stupid is an attempt at a response that isn't worth reading. :rolleyes:

Aenea
03-18-2009, 11:43 AM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=137849&highlight=dimitrov

use the search option

:wavey:

Voo de Mar
03-18-2009, 01:03 PM
In my opinion bad habits at the beginning of career are dangerous, can preserve, in many cases repeat throught the whole career. Fortunately for many players it isn't a pattern. Hewitt for example began his career as a five-set choker but at the moment has still very good 5-set record, Nadal on the other hand lost serveral tight matches in his first year on the tour but is well known as a mentally strong player.

xargon
03-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Obviously it was waaaaay too soon to push this guy as the next Fed.

scarecrows
03-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Udomchoke was playing in his home country, has shown relatively good form lately and has way more experience

all in all it's a good result for Dimitrov, albeit the lost chances

Clay Death
03-18-2009, 07:30 PM
mods drag this thread outside and shoot it.

Nathaliia
03-18-2009, 09:26 PM
All of the youngest talents (the ones younger than Pony, Cilic, Gulbis) so far have problems winning the 3 set matches but I believe as the season goes they will be taking it easier and easier. It doesn't indicate anything in this season yet, just that they're switching from junior to senior tour, that's it.

jmsx521
03-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Two early-round losses!

LTAT-SAT Korat Open
Korat, Thailand
March 23-29, 2009
Hard - $50,000
1st RD.
Izak van der Merwe (RSA) d. (WC)Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) 7-5 6-1

LTAT-SAT Bangkok Open
Bangkok, Thailand
March 16-22, 2009
Hard - $50,000
2nd RD.
Danai Udomchoke (THA) d. (WC)Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) 7-6(6) 7-5

Credit to SteveGtennis!

Radalek
03-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Still doesn't have to mean anything.It would sure bode for him better if he won those tight matches but to judge him at age of 18 after few losses...too harsh and too soon.I still remember Federer bashing 8-9 years ago, who would have thought he will become what he is today?If I remember well most of the people saw him as regular top 10 at most...So, give kid a break, let him play and develop and we'll see...

Andi-M
03-25-2009, 07:38 PM
This Dimitrov sounds like another Gasquet.

Aenea
03-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Dimitrov has a knee injury and that's the main reason for his loss in Korat. Now he's resting and undergoing treatment. Next tournament that he'll play is in Italy from April, 13.

jmsx521
03-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Young kids growing taller means their knees are more susceptible to pain and injuries: Maybe in a year or so he'll be 6'2"-6'4"!

Certinfy
03-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Hopefully :)

Castortroy
03-26-2009, 05:21 PM
The recent generations of juniors was a complete fail (de bakker, ignatik and berankis). I expect the same for dimitrov.

FSRteam
03-26-2009, 08:27 PM
This Dimitrov sounds like another Gasquet.

Please no!!! One waste of this kind of talented player is already way too much! :(

FSRteam
03-26-2009, 08:29 PM
The recent generations of juniors was a complete fail (de bakker, ignatik and berankis). I expect the same for dimitrov.

Well, dimitrov is already playing in another league if you ask me!

duong
03-26-2009, 11:08 PM
All of the youngest talents (the ones younger than Pony, Cilic, Gulbis) so far have problems winning the 3 set matches

except Tomic whose results in tight matches and especially tie-breaks has been very impressive so far

(but for him, I wonder if he will not be too tall :confused: )

duong
03-26-2009, 11:10 PM

89 generation really looks a failure, 90 generation looks better, 91 even better and 92 the most impressive :lol:

Gretchen.
03-27-2009, 12:40 AM
Tomic has major anger issues so that might cost him a lot

PiggyGotRoasted
03-27-2009, 01:26 AM
Would like him to win the grand slam 5 years in a row to put an end to the goat discussion, beating federer djokovic or murray in every single one of the finals/semi finals.

TennisViewer531
03-27-2009, 03:41 AM
Let's just wait and see.. :) Unfortunately, he's been losing a lot in first round matches in Challenger tournaments. :(

ClaudiuS
08-14-2009, 12:24 AM
Nah, I think not.

He's gonna be a great player for sure, huge talent, kinda like Davydenko. :p

abhinav_shaan
08-14-2009, 08:36 AM
No-one will ever win more slams than Steffi Graf. Ultimate goat.

hmm.. i thought she didnt even beat the existing record in her own time.. heard of margaret court?

on topic though.. i saw yuki bhambri live and he seems promising..
lot of heart!!

TipsyFan91
08-14-2009, 09:58 PM
hmm.. i thought she didnt even beat the existing record in her own time.. heard of margaret court?

on topic though.. i saw yuki bhambri live and he seems promising..
lot of heart!!

Margaret Court won most of her majors at the Australian Open during the 60's where her opponets were most likely koala bears, wombats and kangaroos. Steffi had a much more difficult wins and yet just two Slams seperate them.

On topic , I'm not sure the kid will live up to the hype, he should be top 200 by now at least. Maybe he'll end up being a consistent top 20 player but it depends on his attitude , whether he wants to be a serious tennis player or just wants the celebrity that comes along with being a top player.

dekomusic
03-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Too early to tell but he seems destined to become a great player. I don't know for No1 but top 10 for sure in my opinion. He has all the qualities and the coaching (Federer's old coach Peter Lundgren) he needs. If he works hard (fitness as well as tennis) and is injury free he can do it.

marcRD
03-11-2010, 06:20 PM
I have watched him play but cant see the champion in him, its just a feeling that he may not have the mental abilities to get there. Ofcourse I could be completely wrong.

vn01
03-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Top 10 or no.1.Grisho is great

LocoPorElTenis
03-11-2010, 06:41 PM
So far he seems mentally weak - losing lots of close matches. So was Fed early in his career, but for each Fed there are dozens of Gasquets, Berdychs, etc who never quite make it.

marcRD
03-11-2010, 06:46 PM
I thought Federer seemed ambitious, maybe overy ambitious from the very first time I saw him play. I dont see Dimitrov as the same kind of personality Federer was, he seems more like a Gasquet.

Zirconek
03-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Discuss.

for goat's sake, I've deleted an identical thread of yours earlier today. I didn't send a PM explaining why because I'm hell busy, but you could picture by yourself why it happened. There are several threads about this issue, just do a search. I'd delete this thread but there are serious and genuine answers in here so I'll merge with other Dimitrov "how great he is/will be" thread.

abraxas21
03-11-2010, 07:04 PM
for goat's sake, I've deleted an identical thread of yours earlier today. I didn't send a PM explaining why because I'm hell busy, but you could picture by yourself why it happened. There are several threads about this issue, just do a search. I'd delete this thread but there are serious and genuine answers in here so I'll merge with other Dimitrov "how great he is/will be" thread.

well, i really wanted to have a poll tbh. thx for merging it with the poll included.

Zirconek
03-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Ok.

FedererBulgaria
03-11-2010, 07:14 PM
LOVE HIM!Look at his tehnique at SLOW motion!

ox97-DQdm00

npCboVNZO8g:angel::worship: