Federer didn't win a Master Series title in 2008- is it important he win one soon? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer didn't win a Master Series title in 2008- is it important he win one soon?

sam
02-05-2009, 12:22 AM
Was just looking on the Atp tour web site at the rankings breakdown and had a look at Federer. Was surprised to see that he didn't win a Single Master's Title last year - I mistakenly thought he had at least taken one - and even more surprisingly he only reached two finals :eek:
And these were on clay, his worst surface.

For someone who has usually picked up at least a couple of Master series tournament per year, do you see this as worrying for him? Do you need to win Masters tournaments often and sent out a signal of strength to other players to have more of a chance at the slams? I think winning big tournaments regularly is quite important to the Federer psyche - and the fact that he didn't win any in 2008 is a bit worrying.

Do you guys agree? Or are his problems more specific? A left-hander from Spain and not getting enough pop on his serve in Australian open finals? ;)

azmad_88
02-05-2009, 04:46 AM
he had US Open..so that kinda made his year

Action Jackson
02-05-2009, 04:52 AM
He should just retire and raise cows.

alfonsojose
02-05-2009, 05:04 AM
He should just retire and raise cows.

Muuurka

CmonAussie
02-05-2009, 06:24 AM
Was just looking on the Atp tour web site at the rankings breakdown and had a look at Federer. Was surprised to see that he didn't win a Single Master's Title last year - I mistakenly thought he had at least taken one - and even more surprisingly he only reached two finals :eek:
And these were on clay, his worst surface.

For someone who has usually picked up at least a couple of Master series tournament per year, do you see this as worrying for him? Do you need to win Masters tournaments often and sent out a signal of strength to other players to have more of a chance at the slams? I think winning big tournaments regularly is quite important to the Federer psyche - and the fact that he didn't win any in 2008 is a bit worrying.

Do you guys agree? Or are his problems more specific? A left-hander from Spain and not getting enough pop on his serve in Australian open finals? ;)

yeah winning Masters series like Miami & Indian Wells would surely make up for being crushed by Nadal in the FO, Wimby, AO finals [NOT]:sad::p

leng jai
02-05-2009, 06:42 AM
The fact he only won 1 doubles title is more worrying imo.

Swagger&Poise
02-05-2009, 06:42 AM
Muuurka

^I LOL'ed.

BackhandMissile
02-05-2009, 08:41 AM
As I've suspected for a while now, I honestly don't think Federer cares too much about anything outside of the Grand Slams. I think the 14th and 15th Grand Slam are the main priority now that he's so close, which is why he seems at his strongest in the Grand Slams where he has been continuously playing in the last four since about 2003.

If he doesn't get GS 14 and 15 the other titles will NOT be a consolation, and if he does he wouldn't regret not having won other titles.

HattonWBA
02-05-2009, 10:53 AM
I dont think it is vitally important although he did have a few unexpected losses in masters series tournements last year, for example to simon and fish, however i also think he is only really bothered about the Grand Slams these days to be honest, he will win at least one this year in my opinion, and could do with it being before wimbeldon at the very least, the others may be shared out between Nadal mainly, with maybe djokovic and murray winning one, and who knows maybe somebody like cilic or del potro.

A_Skywalker
02-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Its important to win titles, tennis is not about Grand Slams, smaller tournaments also have their place in the game. Im sure a lot of players are begging only for one of these titles.

sam
02-05-2009, 11:51 AM
yeah winning Masters series like Miami & Indian Wells would surely make up for being crushed by Nadal in the FO, Wimby, AO finals [NOT]:sad::p

5 set losses = being crushed? :confused:

And where did I say Masters series titles would make up for grand slam final losses?

My point was simply that it might give Federer an advantage if he got back into the frame of mind of winning big titles against tough opponents. I think it's tougher to win a grand slam if you're not regularly winning titles and giving beatdowns to boost your confidence :shrug:

CmonAussie
02-05-2009, 03:09 PM
5 set losses = being crushed? :confused:

And where did I say Masters series titles would make up for grand slam final losses?

My point was simply that it might give Federer an advantage if he got back into the frame of mind of winning big titles against tough opponents. I think it's tougher to win a grand slam if you're not regularly winning titles and giving beatdowns to boost your confidence :shrug:

ok you might have a point>> certainly if FED loses Masters Series to the likes of Fed/Djoko/Murray it doesn`t help his confidence when he plays these guys @ the business end of slams;)

however i think FED is experienced enough to recover mentally from disappointments @ Masters tourneys, though losing 3 slam finals to Rafa in the space of 12 months has surely done more long-term psychological damage:sad:

Pfloyd
02-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Yeah, well he better win one.

Last year was a little embarrassing for Federer in the Master Series.

MacTheKnife
02-05-2009, 04:19 PM
I agree that he is more focused on GS's, but winning (or losing) is a habit. A good place to start would be with MS events. However, Fed has always been a lot harder to beat in best of 5, hence most success in GS's.

Bazooka
02-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Well, everyone expect him to get to the final or even win slams, so winning Miami or IW would be so unexpected that would be good for his moral. :)

I think he really needs to work hard all year round again, he's capable of going deep in all torunaments, like Nadal is, and every time he is defeated by a Karlovic, Fish or Simon he loses more and more confidence. A good number 2 should always target for the semis or better, like Nadal did.

groundstroke
02-05-2009, 04:27 PM
He has to win a couple of Masters this year if he wants to regain that #1 ranking. Miami and IW are musts.

chammer44
02-05-2009, 06:20 PM
It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a player to up his game for grandslams alone. Tennis, like any craft, has to be fine tuned, plied constantly to maintain that penultimate level of performance.

He certainly shouldn't have to win every little noname tournie, but he's got to at least show flashes of his brilliance in a few Masters each year, I would think - especially given the aging factor.