Cañas is suspected by the settlement of matches. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Cañas is suspected by the settlement of matches.

diego36arg
02-04-2009, 09:03 PM
http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2009/02/04/tenis/01852560.html

:rolleyes:

TankingTheSet
02-04-2009, 09:19 PM
This was discussed extensively already.

google-translation:

Under Willy sospechaEl party that lost in the first round of the ATP Zagreb alert sparked a betting house, then the Unit for the Tennis Integrity for a possible settlement, according to an English newspaper. The Argentine won 6-4 and 2-1 before the Spanish Veic, 225 of the world, but ended up losing.
1 of 1
He laments. Canas lost to the Spanish youth who had not won a match or ATP. (AP)

The actions of Guillermo Cañas in the open that Zagreb is still disputing, aroused suspicions of a possible settlement of games. The Argentine tennis player Guillermo Cañas lost this first round on Monday before the Spanish Antonio Veic, 255 of the world, after being up 6-4 and 2-1, today released the English newspaper The Guardian.

The British bookmaker Betfair house came to momentarily suspend the payment of bets of the party, which had an abrupt change when Cañas, wide favorite, winning 6-4, 2-1 before Veic. Finally, the former world number 8, ended up losing 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 before a rival of 20 years, who until that day had not a single win on the ATP Tour.

Experts of the Unit for the Tennis Integrity (TIU), established by the ATP after that several parties were under suspicion in recent years, called on Betfair to suspend the payment of bets.

"We are aware of speculation concerning the evolution of the bets of the party. Please note that this bet will remain suspended pending an internal investigation," said a communique from the party after Betfair.

Twenty-six hours later, announced that Betfair had no irregularities in the evolution of the gambling game, but, according to The Guardian, now that the TIU will be taking a position on the issue.

Jeff Rees, head of TIU, "faces a difficult decision," said The Guardian. "TIU does not comment on any investigation that may or may not be ongoing," simply respond to The Guardian a spokesman for the investigative unit.

So apparently betfair found no irregularities after a 26-hour investigation. But the Tennis Integrity Unit is still studying the case.

Bilbo
02-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Willy has done a lot of shit in his career :o

diego36arg
02-04-2009, 09:25 PM
In this case I do not think that is true, Willy is playing very badly and can lose with either. ;)

TankingTheSet
02-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Willy has done a lot of shit in his career :o

Innocent until proven guilty. The CAS (tribunal for sport) in Switzerland actually greatly reduced the legal severity for the "doping" positive because of the circumstances (he was given a medication containing a banned ingredient by an ATP trainer). However most media and especially gamblers only think black and white on these matters.

Henry Chinaski
02-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Innocent until proven guilty. The CAS (tribunal for sport) in Switzerland actually greatly reduced the legal severity for the "doping" positive because of the circumstances (he was given a medication containing a banned ingredient by an ATP trainer). However most media and especially gamblers only think black and white on these matters.

From what I remember his story about the trainer had quite a few holes in it, but anyway what has gambling got to do with how one perceives a doping case?

TankingTheSet
02-04-2009, 10:14 PM
From what I remember his story about the trainer had quite a few holes in it, but anyway what has gambling got to do with how one perceives a doping case?

Maybe just that a large percentage of gamblers (but not all gamblers) have outspoken opinions that often not based on deeper knowledge specific cases. I mean try reading a betting forum around the time of a doping positive or a suspected fixing case. I don't think the accusation of Canas being "a doper" has ever been absent from any betting discussion involving him in recent years. Also in the aftermath of matches suspected for match-fixing most live match discussion threads will be dominated by allegations of fixing especially if the favourite loses, often for months.

fast_clay
02-04-2009, 10:22 PM
ahh... once your name is tarnished you cant really tarnish it even worse... good on ya willy...

the graduate
02-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Canas has been losing left and right to nobodies for some time,I dont think he tanked:rolleyes:

dylan24
02-05-2009, 12:45 AM
canas makes me sick.
ban him for life.
scumbag he is

Snoo Foo
02-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Canas has been losing left and right to nobodies for some time,I dont think he tanked:rolleyes:

it's no surprise to me (unfortunately) that he could lose to this dude but the more troubling aspect is the irregular betting patterns. Millions of dollars (if it's true) on a boy who's never won an atp match when he was already down a set and a break? In 1R of Zagreb? I admit I don't know much about these things but that sounds pretty weird.

Igaarg
02-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Hope is not true. And lately, Cañas is playing really bad.

Nev
02-05-2009, 01:10 AM
Korolev should be investigated then, too.

Henry Chinaski
02-05-2009, 01:11 AM
Even if Canas did lose on purpose it's impossible to know if he was actually getting paid to do so or if he innocently told a friend that his shoulder was a bit stiff and he was going to tank in the first round to get a rest before he heads to North America.

GlennMirnyi
02-05-2009, 02:15 AM
First a cheater and then a fixer... wow that's something to tell your kids about.

jmf07
02-05-2009, 02:24 AM
Canas was just following the trend at Zagreb.

Collective
02-05-2009, 03:36 AM

Was Korolev the heavy underdog at any point during the match?

The pattern is indeed very very weird. I don't know if he's guilty or not, but an investigation is the least that can be done with such numbers (7.0 for Cañas when he had won the first, c'mon!)

Snowwy
02-05-2009, 04:42 AM
They had him suspneded once and he got off on some techinicality. Hopefully this time it sticks.

~*BGT*~
02-05-2009, 05:03 AM
Was Korolev the heavy underdog at any point during the match?

The pattern is indeed very very weird. I don't know if he's guilty or not, but an investigation is the least that can be done with such numbers (7.0 for Cañas when he had won the first, c'mon!)

Evgeny has always had a problem with injuries. He's had lik4 3 or 4 hernia surgeries, once as recently as October of last year. I don't think he tanked.

alfonsojose
02-05-2009, 05:03 AM
Even if Canas did lose on purpose it's impossible to know if he was actually getting paid to do so or if he innocently told a friend that his shoulder was a bit stiff and he was going to tank in the first round to get a rest before he heads to North America.

After all it has been said and done on betting and the Davydenko fiasco i can't believe any ATP player would tell a friend he would tank. Really stupid or really suspicious.

El Legenda
02-05-2009, 05:36 AM
so Veic is from Spain now?

martine2
02-05-2009, 09:04 AM
I’m not exactly familiar with betting procedures, but I admit those odds do look strange.

However I don’t think any player would take this risk if it is that obvious that suspicion will be roused and there is a big chance he’d be in trouble. This would be a real stupid thing to do.

Willy is my fav player and if it would be true, I’d be extremely disappointed. But I don’t believe he’s guilty. People shouldn’t jump to conclusions so quickly and as long as he’s not proven guilty, he doesn’t deserve being accused.

Iván
02-05-2009, 12:20 PM
First a cheater and then a fixer... wow that's something to tell your kids about.

hahahhaha

zethand
02-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Like we didn't know.

cane_cattivo
02-05-2009, 04:49 PM
hahahhaha

This is why people like GlennMirnyi are dangerous:

http://www.nysun.com/national/exonerated-of-****-conviction-man-is-freed-after/68971/

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0804-07.htm

and thousands more

SwiSha
02-05-2009, 05:07 PM
I’m not exactly familiar with betting procedures, but I admit those odds do look strange.

However I don’t think any player would take this risk if it is that obvious that suspicion will be roused and there is a big chance he’d be in trouble. This would be a real stupid thing to do.

Willy is my fav player and if it would be true, I’d be extremely disappointed. But I don’t believe he’s guilty. People shouldn’t jump to conclusions so quickly and as long as he’s not proven guilty, he doesn’t deserve being accused.

sorry but that benefit of the doubt is a pile of bs, its clear as water that Willy fixed this match like Davydenko Volandri and others, Willy was one of my faves as well, these odds dont lie he turned into a dirtbag of a fixer

sorry if you wont believe it, it doesnt make it not true

JolánGagó
02-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Gulbis must be investigated too, not to mention Federer.

bjurra
02-05-2009, 05:36 PM
People shouldn’t jump to conclusions so quickly and as long as he’s not proven guilty, he doesn’t deserve being accused.

Oh yes he does.

Btw, another dodgy match involving Willy was when he retired a set up in 1st round in Munich 2007 against Devilder.

Denaon
02-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Pile of BS the guy is reaching the final stage of his career with lame results...he's playing like crap, period.

martine2
02-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Oh yes he does.

Btw, another dodgy match involving Willy was when he retired a set up in 1st round in Munich 2007 against Devilder.

This is BS. I know 100% sure that he was injured there as a friend was there watching the match and talked to him

Carlita
02-05-2009, 06:08 PM
This reaction here is to be expected.... :rolleyes:

I guess Moya needs to be investigated too then....losing early on to the no. 202 and no. 118 in the world.... :o

this is :bs:

Jōris
02-05-2009, 06:22 PM
This reaction here is to be expected.... :rolleyes:

I guess Moya needs to be investigated too then....losing early on to the no. 202 and no. 118 in the world.... :o

this is :bs:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=8108084&postcount=39

You are free to believe as you wish, but the odds posted in the linked post are impossible to argue with. Someone knew he was going to throw the match.

Carlita
02-05-2009, 06:30 PM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=8108084&postcount=39

You are free to believe as you wish, but the odds posted in the linked post are impossible to argue with. Someone knew he was going to throw the match. nou gelukkig maar :p

but whenever Cañas is involved (or any other Argie :rolleyes: ) this is the reaction MTF gives.... it's getting a bit :yawn:

And I have no idea about betting at all, but I know I'd like to believe he's not that stupid. The guy has been playing like crap for a while now.... :shrug:

Jōris
02-05-2009, 06:39 PM
nou gelukkig maar :p

but whenever Cañas is involved (or any other Argie) this is the reaction MTF gives.... it's getting a bit :yawn:

And I have no idea about betting at all, but I know I'd like to believe he's not that stupid.

Seems like anyone can become an admin on this forum. ;)

Skepticism is a virtue, but I believe the suspicion against him is more than warranted.

Collective
02-05-2009, 06:41 PM

but whenever Cañas is involved (or any other Argie :rolleyes: ) this is the reaction MTF gives.... it's getting a bit :yawn:

And I have no idea about betting at all, but I know I'd like to believe he's not that stupid. The guy has been playing like crap for a while now.... :shrug:

He's indeed playing crap, but there is no logical way that a new guy, who had never win an ATP match, that nobody knew at all, could be the favorite in that match... And it is more suspicious because the guy was the HEAVY favorite (1.18 vs 7.00) when CAÑAS HAD JUST WON THE 1ST SET.

Like I said, this doesn't mean he is instantly guilty, but an investigation is definitely in order when the patterns are so "weird"

Jelena
02-06-2009, 11:22 AM
There is a thread where all the fixing discussions were merged earlier

Here (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=107278&highlight=fixing).

miura
02-06-2009, 12:26 PM
I've said it before and I say it again; Canas is a cheating sonovabitch and should be confined to playing local tourneys in Argentina whilst taking as much coke as he possibly can.

shotgun
02-06-2009, 01:32 PM

If anything, Canas was pretty much respected among gamblers here for his fighting spirit, before this incident took place.

Henry Chinaski
02-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Good point shotgun

And I have no idea about betting at all,

no shit

Bloodletting
02-06-2009, 02:05 PM
funny how all these fanboys give stupid arguements like "I would never bet for Cañas in his current form", or "so player XX also lost with number 100000 of the ATP it's also fixed".

face the facts, people. If you don't know how this thing works, then keep your mouth shut.

nestingus
02-06-2009, 02:24 PM

Gotta say there's some seriously stange results being thrown up this week. Korolev dismantled Melzer and then flopped to this Veic guy. I wonder how Ancic will fare against Dodig later on today?

Not to suggest any of it is fixed, it's just odd.

Collective
02-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Not to suggest any of it is fixed, it's just odd.

It is odd, yes. But none of those matches have had such ridiculous patterns. Maybe the investigation will clear Willy from any wrongdoing, but those patterns definitely granted the investigation... actually they were screaming out loud for one.

nestingus
02-06-2009, 03:28 PM
It is odd, yes. But none of those matches have had such ridiculous patterns. Maybe the investigation will clear Willy from any wrongdoing, but those patterns definitely granted the investigation... actually they were screaming out loud for one.

Agreed, to see such an amount of bets coming in at that time does raise cause for concern.

I didn't realise how contraversial the whole betting thing was until I joined this forum. It seems like it's a the forefront of most discussion.

martine2
02-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Betfair investigated it and stated there were no irregularities. Seems the odd betting pattern only started after Willy hurt his shoulder

http://www.recentpoker.com/news/tennis-cheating-2015.html

Denaon
02-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Betfair investigated it and stated there were no irregularities. Seems the odd betting pattern only started after Willy hurt his shoulder

No...impossible....as someone stated previously..

face the facts, people. If you don't know how this thing works, then keep your mouth shut

Shut your mouth people...return to your gambling habits and wait again...until another weird pattern makes you come out of your holes

:rolls:

Oh wait...Betfair's word on this is more important than yours....right?

:spit:

Bloodletting
02-06-2009, 04:07 PM

Shut your mouth people...return to your gambling habits and wait again...until another weird pattern makes you come out of your holes

:rolls:

not more than you jerking off on tennis players. Get a life

Denaon
02-06-2009, 04:09 PM
not more than you jerking off on tennis players. Get a life

:eek:
Can you admit you were wrong instead of trying to insult me??
You are a sad dude.

Henry Chinaski
02-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Willy's right arm must've fallen off.

Henry Chinaski
02-06-2009, 04:47 PM
betfair would lose millions long term if they voided suspect matches. they have every reason to say the match wasn't suspicious.

I have no idea if it was or not because I didn't follow it myself and irregular markets have proved to be wrong several times but it's certainly suspicious.

Jōris
02-06-2009, 04:49 PM

Sorry, I'm completely indifferent to Canas and I don't bet on MMs. From my experience the betting pattern can only make sense if he was about to retire, but Betfair and the ATP learned well not to waste another year on digging up circumstantial evidence.

Congrats on your player though, he's off the hook. :)

TankingTheSet
02-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Gamblers are paranoid and jump to conclusions, it's quite conceivable for 'strange' betting patterns to appear in matches that are not televised for reasons other than fixing.

I mean lots of gamblers immediately discount the 'injury' theory as 'impossible' and 'ridiculous'. I'm not saying it is 100% guaranteed it is not suspect, but unusual patterns can appear for normal reasons.

Matches on non-televised courts usually do not have great liquidity on betfar. Most of the liquidity is provided by 'market makers' who place the largest bets and follow the matches as closely as possible. Often this means the market maker has a person at the court via mobile phone or internet to know what is going on precisely. Within in this context it is conceivable that the market maker decided that a player is injured or is about to retire or can't win and made large bets accordingly. I'm not saying this is necessarily the whole story, but it gives some background.

HattonWBA
02-06-2009, 07:12 PM
His tennis is shit anyway get this mug off the tour

Deivid23
02-06-2009, 07:15 PM
This match was fixed 100%, end of

Deivid23
02-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Btw it never seizes to amaze me how naive people can be :lol:

SwiSha
02-06-2009, 07:19 PM
lmao

of course he will act like he was injured, Davydenko pulled off the biggest fix in tennis history blaming an injury for his retirement
you will not get 1.10 odds for a guy down a set and a break

Denaon, Willie was a fav of most of the gamblers as we admired his fighting spirit, has nothing to do with him being an Argie,

Deivid23
02-06-2009, 07:22 PM

Bullshit at its finest

What makes you think a gambler is living in a hole? :lol:

Not necessarilly. In this particular case it´s not

SwiSha
02-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Gamblers are paranoid and jump to conclusions, it's quite conceivable for 'strange' betting patterns to appear in matches that are not televised for reasons other than fixing.

I mean lots of gamblers immediately discount the 'injury' theory as 'impossible' and 'ridiculous'. I'm not saying it is 100% guaranteed it is not suspect, but unusual patterns can appear for normal reasons.

you call being a 1.10 fav (as a heavy underdawg before the match) down a set strange and unusual?? thats not strange, thats impossible even if Canas would have been injured the odds would have never made Veic a fucking 1.10 fav after losing the 1st set, Canas also completed the match but the injury was the cause of the line?

gamblers can get paranoid on matches they lose, but line movements like this are always representing a FIX

Snoo Foo
02-06-2009, 07:26 PM
I :hearts: Willy as much as the next fangirl but this is seriously fuckin shady to say the least. :tears:

jrm
02-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Druggie and cheater ... how can ATP still tolerate this loooooser?

TankingTheSet
02-06-2009, 08:02 PM
you call being a 1.10 fav (as a heavy underdawg before the match) down a set strange and unusual?? thats not strange, thats impossible even if Canas would have been injured the odds would have never made Veic a fucking 1.10 fav after losing the 1st set, Canas also completed the match but the injury was the cause of the line?

gamblers can get paranoid on matches they lose, but line movements like this are always representing a FIX

It is impossible to say for sure without the knowing the exact details of how the odds developed, injuries becomeing apparent etc.

For example two years ago there was a match between Tursunov and Pashanski were Pashanski won the first set but Tursunov's odds were 1.10 or something even after he lost the first set. This resulted a big outcry among gamblers and in the media. An investigation by betfair showed that one big gambler with a big losing record was placing these bets (which I believe). So in this case was just some guy making strange bets.

My point is, even though it may be attractive to view betting odds in relation to the scoreline as "100% scientific proof" because usually the odds develop in a regular way during a match, it actually not 100% scientific proof because in a betting exchange with bid/ask type odds even one person can cause the odds to be completely skewed.

In actual fix a similar pattern may be seen, but it does not mean every match with a suspect pattern is fixed.

Snowwy
02-06-2009, 09:23 PM
For example two years ago there was a match between Tursunov and Pashanski were Pashanski won the first set but Tursunov's odds were 1.10 or something even after he lost the first set. This resulted a big outcry among gamblers and in the media. An investigation by betfair showed that one big gambler with a big losing record was placing these bets (which I believe). So in this case was just some guy making strange bets.

Tursunov was the favorite of that match though..Veic is a clown that wouldnt have been the favorite against anyone he drew except maybe maybe Zovko.

Another question, why did Canas play in Zagreb instead of Vin del Mar or whatever its called?

Henry Chinaski
02-06-2009, 09:30 PM
It is impossible to say for sure without the knowing the exact details of how the odds developed, injuries becomeing apparent etc.

My point is, even though it may be attractive to view betting odds in relation to the scoreline as "100% scientific proof" because usually the odds develop in a regular way during a match, it actually not 100% scientific proof because in a betting exchange with bid/ask type odds even one person can cause the odds to be completely skewed.

In actual fix a similar pattern may be seen, but it does not mean every match with a suspect pattern is fixed.

Yup sometimes markets are strange for no apparent reason and I think people can attempt to manipulate them and create a herd mentality where gamblers see fix and start lumping on a player.

Andreev v Seppi in Kitzi a few years ago and Verdasco v Roitman I think at the same event would've both looked like massive fixes had the result gone the other way.

SwiSha
02-06-2009, 11:10 PM
It is impossible to say for sure without the knowing the exact details of how the odds developed, injuries becomeing apparent etc...

Tursunov was a fav in that match so its a totally different scenario and in no way comparable to Davydenko-Vasallo or now Canas-Veic

i get your point and i know that a lot of reasons can be influence the market.
i am not one of those who will scream fix on every occasion when a fav loses to an absolute tool, the heavy linemovent on these matches where a heavy fav becomes the heavy dog after winning a set and a break up indicate a Fix and nothing else..

bjurra
02-07-2009, 08:41 AM

You have a point. I remember a match between Dementieva and Schnyder where Dementieva was 1.50 when up 6-4 4-2 (having been 1.70 before the match). Dementieva ended up winning comfortably.

However, the Canas - Veic match had a betting pattern that was too extreme to be explained by anything else but a fix. No market maker court side would back Veic at 1.20 a set down just because Canas looked injured, especially not as the score line remained close until 4-4 in the 2nd.

KaiserT
02-07-2009, 09:34 AM
This was a fix, I've seen enough of them in the last few years to know.

Canas never involved in this sort of thing before, now joins the ranks of scum in order to boost his retirement fund.

Innocent till proven guilty? It's gonna be damn difficult to prove because of the nature of it - needs a direct link. But I know this was fixed.

KaiserT
02-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Tursunov was a fav in that match so its a totally different scenario and in no way comparable to Davydenko-Vasallo or now Canas-Veic

i get your point and i know that a lot of reasons can be influence the market.
i am not one of those who will scream fix on every occasion when a fav loses to an absolute tool, the heavy linemovent on these matches where a heavy fav becomes the heavy dog after winning a set and a break up indicate a Fix and nothing else..

Yep for those inexperienced with the exchanges it might seem that gamblers are just crying because some bum beat a heavy fav........... it's not.

All about the market, the money, and the market movements Vs. what was happening on the court.

Betfair are a horrible company, only concerned with protecting profits, self-preservation, and keeping this out of the media.

Since the Davydenko affair they've shown themselves to be completely gutless corporate wankers (no suprise there I guess).

fran70
02-07-2009, 05:21 PM
As things go, Cañas will be the responsible of global financial crisis aswell...

out_here_grindin
02-07-2009, 06:01 PM
I will always remember Canas for beating Federer back to back in Indian Wells and Miami.

SwiSha
02-08-2009, 12:59 AM
Yep for those inexperienced with the exchanges it might seem that gamblers are just crying because some bum beat a heavy fav........... it's not.

All about the market, the money, and the market movements Vs. what was happening on the court.

Betfair are a horrible company, only concerned with protecting profits, self-preservation, and keeping this out of the media.

Since the Davydenko affair they've shown themselves to be completely gutless corporate wankers (no suprise there I guess).

spot on