Johannesburg R1: Van der Merwe [WC] beat Becker | 7-6 (4) 7-6 (3) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Johannesburg R1: Van der Merwe [WC] beat Becker | 7-6 (4) 7-6 (3)

CooCooCachoo
02-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Great job by Izak. This is a surface he should do well on, and the win isn't that big a surprise. Gave away a break lead in the first set, but served and volleyed well throughout the match. Becker did well to win Heilbronn, but it was a different situation altogether in Jo'burg.

Izak :hatoff:

TankingTheSet
02-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Indeed not unexpected, Becker must have spent some energy winning Heilbronn and then had to travel to SA, while Van der Merwe had every opportunity to prepare himself for this home event.

And it's like Van der Merwe is a bad player, his ranking is skewed because he always had to qualify for challengers last year, so he often won three to five matches at those events without getting a real reward in ranking points.

Certinfy
These South Africans are doing good. lol

Montego
Always a joy when one-dimensional forehand ballbashers lose. However I'm not sure if v.d.M is not the same, as I haven't seen him playing :p

Henry Chinaski
02-04-2009, 05:53 PM
These South Africans are doing good. lol

"well". doing well.

Smoke944
02-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Always a joy when one-dimensional forehand ballbashers lose. However I'm not sure if v.d.M is not the same, as I haven't seen him playing :p

So basically you hate 90% of all players?

Montego
02-04-2009, 05:58 PM
So basically you hate 90% of all players?

No :)

Benji Becker is exceptional, I can't stand his style. For me he is poor man's Tursunov. No brain, only power.

Bilbo
02-04-2009, 06:02 PM
expected one

HattonWBA
02-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Good win because Becker must have been on a high coming off a challenger victory last week, very good win for Van der merwe

CooCooCachoo
02-05-2009, 12:04 PM

Izak is more serve-and-volley. From the baseline he does sort of bash the ball though :p

ORGASMATRON
02-05-2009, 12:30 PM
I watched this match i was impressed with Izak. The only problem is that this is altitude and he cant play this kind of serve and volley game anywhere else. A lot of the South Africans are doing well here. When i was playing i remember going from the coast to play in Jo'burg and it was an absurd situation with the altitude, the big tournaments was always played on altitude which didnt make much sense to me. So i dont take it too seriously when South Africans do well here. Its a great opportunity for them though to get some ranking points and get experience.

CooCooCachoo
02-05-2009, 12:34 PM
I watched this match i was impressed with Izak. The only problem is that this is altitude and he cant play this kind of serve and volley game anywhere else. A lot of the South Africans are doing well here. When i was playing i remember going from the coast to play in Jo'burg and it was an absurd situation with the altitude, the big tournaments was always played on altitude which didnt make much sense to me. So i dont take it too seriously when South Africans do well here. Its a great opportunity for them though to get some ranking points and get experience.

Qualified for Wimbledon for a reason ;) Of course the altitude helps, but there are other events where he can do well. The bigger problem, IMO, is that he is too inconsistent in the level of his volleying; he tends to lapse one or two service games a match, and that is often enough what with his baseline game.

ORGASMATRON
02-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Qualified for Wimbledon for a reason ;) Of course the altitude helps, but there are other events where he can do well. The bigger problem, IMO, is that he is too inconsistent in the level of his volleying; he tends to lapse one or two service games a match, and that is often enough what with his baseline game.

Oh i didnt know he qualified for Wimbledon. Well yeah i think he's got potential, but the way wimby is these days it wont help him much either.