Bring back the ATP Race!!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Bring back the ATP Race!!!!

Sapeod
02-04-2009, 03:32 PM
WTA still has it, so why the hell doesn't the ATP?
BRING BACK THE RACE!!!!!!!

nateyang
02-04-2009, 03:44 PM
I second this. The old race system is more exciting and reasonable.

Certinfy
02-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Agreed... New race is stupid.

JimmyV
02-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Totally agreed.

Henry Chinaski
02-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Atleast with the old Race the people who did the best that season got in. Bring back the GOOD ATP Race!!. Anyone agree? Should they bring back the "Race"?

I'm confused.

Renaud
02-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Atleast with the old Race the people who did the best that season got in.
:confused: It will be the same this year again.

duong
02-04-2009, 04:39 PM
:confused: It will be the same this year again.

Exactly.

Actually there's just no "new Race" :lol:

It seems that Sapeod didn't understand that in the end of the year, the rankings and the race were the same,
then absolutely nothing is changed to qualify for the Masters Cup.

Sapeod
02-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Exactly.

Actually there's just no "new Race" :lol:

It seems that Sapeod didn't understand that in the end of the year, the rankings and the race were the same,
then absolutely nothing is changed to qualify for the Masters Cup.

I do understand. Last year's race where the best players that season get in the championships was a better one. If you don't agree that's fine.

And if I said there's a new race, sorry about that.

Sapeod
02-04-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm confused.

Don't be. I'm just saying that the race in 2008, 2007 etc is better than just letting the rankings decide.

El Legenda
02-04-2009, 06:21 PM
the race and entry are the same at end of the season...so this doesnt do anything to any player not in the top 8 to start the year...everyone can still make it.

Sapeod
02-04-2009, 06:24 PM
the race and entry are the same at end of the season...so this doesnt do anything to any player not in the top 8 to start the year...everyone can still make it.

Oh well. In that case it's fine. But I still think they should get back the old race.

HattonWBA
02-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Nah i prefer just the one ranking system, so all results and points are accumilated giving precise rankings, without there being a race as well, thats just my opinion tho, think its better with just one ranking system

HeretiC
02-04-2009, 07:29 PM
The point of race was only to track(monitor) progress of players during the course of a season, at the end of the year the race was reflecting rankings. And yes, it will work with only one ranking system.

duong
02-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Oh well. In that case it's fine. But I still think they should get back the old race.

To show you that I like the Race and I still think it would be very useful, you can see there that we calculate the Race for this year, together with Felipe :

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=136034

Then yes I like the Race :lol:

But your point about the fact that it would change anything for the Masters Cup (or whatever the new name) was just bullshit :haha:

Sapeod
02-04-2009, 09:04 PM
But your point about the fact that it would change anything for the Masters Cup (or whatever the new name) was just bullshit :haha:

I didn't like it because I thought it would be unfair to players outside the top 20. But now that someone told me it won't, I'm fine with it. Have you got a problem with that.

fast_clay
02-04-2009, 09:17 PM
i dont want cop a ban so i'll just say to sapeod that this thread made me very angry...

out_here_grindin
02-04-2009, 09:19 PM
I like the new system

Sapeod
02-04-2009, 09:31 PM
i dont want cop a ban so i'll just say to sapeod that this thread made me very angry...

Why'd it make you angry?

duong
02-04-2009, 09:33 PM
I didn't like it because I thought it would be unfair to players outside the top 20. But now that someone told me it won't, I'm fine with it. Have you got a problem with that.

Great ! :D

mashamaniac
02-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Can someone explain how's the current race ranking?

nkp2
02-04-2009, 09:34 PM
This is the most ridiculous thread ever! LOL

gaynor
02-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Do you understand anything about how the ranking system works?

Sapeod
02-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Do you understand anything about how the ranking system works?

Yes, I do actually. The normal rankings are like they have always been.
There is no race being used. Instead there is only one rankings system. The race is based on the top 8 players before the masters cup. Also the top 30 players at the end of 2008 have to play the 4 grand slams, 8 masters tournaments. The best 4 atp 500 and 2 atp 250 tournaments will alson go onto the ranking. A player who is ill will get 0 ranking points in the tournament(obviosly). A player who isn't ill but doesn't play will also get 0 points.

Sapeod
09-20-2010, 11:04 PM
Blast from the past :cool:

I still think they should keep the race, like the WTA does :cool:
I've added a poll :)

bleu_cheese
09-20-2010, 11:13 PM
I think the Race was nice since it was a more accurate depiction of how the year had gone, but since I can check it here (Thank you El Burro!), I don't mind the absence. ...but why did you bump something that puts you in such an embarrassing light?

selyoink
09-20-2010, 11:19 PM
Blast from the past :cool:

I still think they should keep the race, like the WTA does :cool:
I've added a poll :)

Was bumping this thread done only to help your already considerable odds of winning the ACC?

finishingmove
09-20-2010, 11:21 PM
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/5958/capturexcn.png

A_Skywalker
09-20-2010, 11:28 PM
I read it all and I cant believe you cant understand that in the end of the year race and rankings are the same.

As for the race, I really think its good to have it as you can see the best players before the end of the year.

~Maya~
09-20-2010, 11:28 PM
:haha::haha::haha:

nadal_slam_king
09-21-2010, 12:40 AM
THE RACE lost the poll! HAHAHA suffer race. It confuses the mainstream public too much, never a good idea. They aren't sure why players high in the race would not be seeded high in the grand slams.

Mjau!
09-21-2010, 01:02 AM
I don't get it. Isn't the YEC qualification still based on points gathered in that calendar year? :confused:

guichard
09-21-2010, 02:20 PM
I don't get it. Isn't the YEC qualification still based on points gathered in that calendar year? :confused:

Yeah it is still the same. They have just stop publishing the race standing on the main atp websites(because it confused some fans) but since late July the top 16 standing can been since on the World Tour finals websites http://www.barclaysatpworldtourfinals.com/Players/Player-Landing.aspx

yonexforever
09-21-2010, 04:54 PM
I remember back in the 80s tennis magazine(editors/experts) would rank the no1 players for the year, based on a combination of their regualr torunament performances along with the grand slam results.
They even used to rank the top 10 according to surface. The annual year end issue which i believe was actually a January issue was fat and had this insert made from a different type of paper. As a junior in the dead of winter in the North East US, nothing was better that seeing that thick issue in the mailbox.

This "race" to see who the year end No1 is , is quite silly to me especially allowing it to culminate in a year end championship.

In the older days the year end championship was a bonus/exhibition for the players to cash in , and that is whay the round robin was the preferred route to go.
To allow fans the opportunity to see all the top players, play each other with bonus cash as an incentive.
At least until Lendl figured out how to manipulate the format!

Sapeod
09-21-2010, 08:05 PM
You do know this was a year and a half ago?
I didn't understand the new rules very well back then :wavey:

Sapeod
09-21-2010, 08:08 PM
Yes it is, but I would like it if they brought back the race and put it on the site.

Sapeod
09-21-2010, 08:09 PM
THE RACE lost the poll! HAHAHA suffer race. It confuses the mainstream public too much, never a good idea. They aren't sure why players high in the race would not be seeded high in the grand slams.
Yes - 12 votes
No - 10 votes

:wavey:

guichard
09-21-2010, 08:30 PM
I remember back in the 80s tennis magazine(editors/experts) would rank the no1 players for the year, based on a combination of their regualr torunament performances along with the grand slam results.
They even used to rank the top 10 according to surface. The annual year end issue which i believe was actually a January issue was fat and had this insert made from a different type of paper. As a junior in the dead of winter in the North East US, nothing was better that seeing that thick issue in the mailbox.

This "race" to see who the year end No1 is , is quite silly to me especially allowing it to culminate in a year end championship.

In the older days the year end championship was a bonus/exhibition for the players to cash in , and that is whay the round robin was the preferred route to go.
To allow fans the opportunity to see all the top players, play each other with bonus cash as an incentive.
At least until Lendl figured out how to manipulate the format!

the 80s are you sure ? The ATP has been using the computer ranking since 1973. It seems to me that was the sytem used before 1973

Mjau!
09-21-2010, 08:51 PM
You do know this was a year and a half ago?
I didn't understand the knew rules very well back then :wavey:

But there are no "knew rules", no? :confused: :shrug:

born_on_clay
09-22-2010, 09:04 AM
agreed, they should bring it back

Jomp1
09-22-2010, 12:55 PM
http://www.barclaysatpworldtourfinals.com/Players/Player-Landing.aspx

You're welcome.

And yes I know it hasn't been there whole year.

yonexforever
09-22-2010, 01:22 PM
the 80s are you sure ? The ATP has been using the computer ranking since 1973. It seems to me that was the sytem used before 1973

Pre 1973?.. Nope.. I would have been in infant with no ability to read much less be interested in the pro tennis tour.

guichard
09-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Pre 1973?.. Nope.. I would have been in infant with no ability to read much less be interested in the pro tennis tour.

Then it was for their own pleausre with no value

yonexforever
09-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Then it was for their own pleausre with no value

No.. more likely for the fans old enough to care or appreciate.

Sapeod
09-22-2010, 04:48 PM
But there are no "knew rules", no? :confused: :shrug:
Shut it!
If you have nothing to add to the thread, get out.

Mjau!
09-22-2010, 05:13 PM
Shut it!
If you have nothing to add to the thread, get out.

But the thread is based on a misunderstanding... :shrug: It has no raison d'etre now that this misconception has been cleared up.

Sapeod
09-22-2010, 05:29 PM
But the thread is based on a misunderstanding... :shrug: It has no raison d'etre now that this misconception has been cleared up.
The thread is about whether or not you agree they should bring the race back.

guichard
09-22-2010, 05:49 PM
No.. more likely for the fans old enough to care or appreciate.

I meant no official value(tournament entry, seeding...).

Aenea
09-22-2010, 05:49 PM
off//
@ Word Life: you are such a bad luck for players in Metz, whoever you pick to win the tournament he pulls out. First Llodra, now Monfils :lol: Your predictions are such a curse.

As for the topic ATP ranking is good enough.

Start da Game
09-22-2010, 06:06 PM
WTA still has it, so why the hell doesn't the ATP?
BRING BACK THE RACE!!!!!!!

race or ranking, it doesn't matter at the end of the year.......

Sapeod
09-22-2010, 07:50 PM
off//
@ Word Life: you are such a bad luck for players in Metz, whoever you pick to win the tournament he pulls out. First Llodra, now Monfils :lol: Your predictions are such a curse.
As for the topic ATP ranking is good enough.
Monfils withdrew? What's wrong with him?
You think I should pick one of the player's I hate to win?
Meh, I'll go with Robredo, don't think anybody is playing as well as him...

BTW if my predictions are curses, I wouldn't get most of them right, would I?

race or ranking, it doesn't matter at the end of the year.......
But throughout the year, I think it would be nice to know.