Donald Young [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Donald Young

TBarm7
02-04-2009, 06:17 AM
I help run the Dallas Challenger and I witnessed something tonight that really pissed me and a lot of people off. Donald Young had just finished his match with Michael Russell when the Tournament Director asked everyone to please stand up so the National Anthem could be sung before our night session began. The players had not left the court yet so Russell got up while Young stayed seated during the whole anthem. Now with everyone that has gone on in the world, and especially with this tourney being in the States, this was such a classless and idiotic move. A lot of fans witnessed Young not standing during the anthem and let him have it after it was over. Here is the last thing that got under my skin. We(Challenger of Dallas) gave Donald Young one of our two wildcards for this event. His agent had been calling us for a week straight asking for a wc. Since he arrived yesterday, he has not once thanked the Tournament Director, myself or anyone else associated with the tourney. I really support the USTA and US players, but I could care less what happens to Young the rest of his career. He lost a lot of fans tonight. The child needs to grow up.

On another note, come visit our live streaming video, live scoring, match commentary and post match interviews at www.frontrowtennis.com Matches start at 11am central tomorrow(Wed)

azza
02-04-2009, 06:40 AM
well if u have been following this website you would of saved the WC and would have known what a talentless mug Young is.

Such a foold u r

wilmar
02-04-2009, 06:53 AM
I'm sorry Donald spoiled the proceedings of your event.
But I'm hardly surprised given all the bloated hype surrounding him and the arrogant ego with zilch results to match.
This incident again confirms all these. I hope people will stop putting him on a pedestal when he's so unworthy, both tennis and character wise.

JimmyV
02-04-2009, 07:16 AM
He is sort of a douche, despite being talented I can't stand seeing his expression on court. Still, it's kind of messed up to bash and hate on a kid, lord knows he probably has a lot of pressure and expectation that he's trying to live up to.

Langers
02-04-2009, 07:36 AM
Why the heck do you need to play the national anthem?

Young what a gun.

Hugh Jaas
02-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Give Donald a break. He is 19 not a 73 year old republican

So what if he did not stand up to some BS anthem. This is an internationally sanctioned tennis event by the ATP NOT a pro american nut hugging event.

au_sports_opinion
02-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Phark I wish I was a tennis player.

Getting $1000 just coz you asked alot for it.

CooCooCachoo
02-04-2009, 08:44 AM
I don't quite get why the anthem was played, but why Young remained seated, I don't know. Probably really, really gutted about the easy loss to Russell. He's known for having a piss-poor attitude though and this is only underlining that.

Purple Rainbow
02-04-2009, 09:52 AM
I don't quite get why the anthem was played,

Because, quote, unquote "With everyone that has gone on in the world".

Makes perfect sence, no?

Lucinda
02-04-2009, 09:53 AM
No surprise. He was a total baby in Sacramento last summer.

Nathaliia
02-04-2009, 10:13 AM
A little bit of respect would be needed,

Martijn, why they played the anthem, oh come on, this is Dallas :haha:If an anthem was played in our challenger in Wrocław of course everyone would stand up incl. all of our players, but everyone would have a laugh why the heck such a sacred tune in such a shit event lol.. Somehow, I've got a feeling though, if anthems were played before tennis matches, many players would fight much much more, and maybe some wouldn't have guts for their nasty tanks or pathetic attitude.

JMG
02-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Not standing up for the national anthem in Texas ---> Young has got balls

the graduate
02-04-2009, 10:44 AM
he just needs to grow taller thats all,short man ego

au_sports_opinion
02-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Because, quote, unquote "With everyone that has gone on in the world".

Makes perfect sence, no?

:lol::lol:

Stefwhit
02-04-2009, 01:04 PM
...it's kind of messed up (you) to bash and hate on a kid, lord knows he probably has a lot of pressure and expectation that he's trying to live up to.
Personally Young is soooo not my cup of tea, but there's something about how eager the TS is tell this story and hate on Young that actually makes me not so sympathetic to him.

No doubt Young is a tool, but there's something about someone so eager to snitch and make someone look bad that's not a good look either.

Doggy
02-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Why would he stand up to the national anthem of a country that enslaved his people once??

TBarm7
02-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Why the heck do you need to play the national anthem?

Young what a gun.

Why do we need to play the anthem? We are in the States, an indoor event, so of course we are going to play the National Anthem. Kind of a no brainer there.

TBarm7
02-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Give Donald a break. He is 19 not a 73 year old republican

So what if he did not stand up to some BS anthem. This is an internationally sanctioned tennis event by the ATP NOT a pro american nut hugging event.

What a moronic post. Do you understand that this is an USTA pro circuit event? Do you understand how much the USTA has invested in Young? It's an honor and a privilege to be an American citizen and to show respect for your country, take 2 minutes out of your time and salute the flag.

LocoPorElTenis
02-04-2009, 01:16 PM
It's an honor and a privilege to be an American citizen and to show respect for your country, take 2 minutes out of your time and salute the flag.

That's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it, but Young is entitled to a different one.

TBarm7
02-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Personally Young is soooo not my cup of tea, but there's something about how eager the TS is tell this story and hate on Young that actually makes me not so sympathetic to him.

No doubt Young is a tool, but there's something about someone so eager to snitch and make someone look bad that's not a good look either.

Well, when you get hounded by his agent for a week for one of our two wildcards and not get a thank you of any sort thats just a waste...on our part and his. This is the third year Young has played in Dallas and he hasn't changed or grown up any. Really sad.

Caio_Brasil
02-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Well, when you get hounded by his agent for a week for one of our two wildcards and not get a thank you of any sort thats just a waste...on our part and his. This is the third year Young has played in Dallas and he hasn't changed or grown up any. Really sad.

Will you guys give him another WC next year if he asks?

TBarm7
02-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Will you guys give him another WC next year if he asks?

negative. matter of fact, we have had a couple of our sponsors say they wont sign up next year if they know he's coming.

Purple Rainbow
02-04-2009, 01:46 PM
It's an honor and a privilege to be an American citizen and to show respect for your country, take 2 minutes out of your time and salute the flag.

Tangy, is that you? :wavey:

Caio_Brasil
02-04-2009, 01:46 PM
negative. matter of fact, we have had a couple of our sponsors say they wont sign up next year if they know he's coming.

:yeah:

Hope someone doesn't need to quote this message in 1 year :yeah:

Johnny Groove
02-04-2009, 02:20 PM
I understand the position of the Dallas people, but it really isn't mandatory for someone to stand during the national anthem :shrug:

I recall in high school, the anthem was played every day. Some people stood, some people didn't, but once it was over, we all went on with our lives.

Now, seeing as Young has been hyped out the ass, has had tons of money poured into him, and yet his attitude is STILL in the shitter, he will probably get more criticism for this act than if he was a class act.

alfonsojose
02-04-2009, 02:20 PM
He wanted to be spanked badly :devil:

jmf07
02-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Not supporting Young at all here but you must also look at it from his position. He had just suffered a loss after having his agent hunt down a wildcard for a week and was probably sitting in the chair upset packing his bags to get off the court as quick as possible as it was probably one of the last places he wanted to be and then he was asked to stand up for the national anthem which was being played for a different match.

May I just ask why wasn't the anthem played when the players involved in the next game were on court?

Black Adam
02-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Not standing up for the national anthem in Texas ---> Young has got balls
I know right?? I was going to point out that of all places to pull such a stunt, he does it in a Southern red state :rolls::haha:

TankingTheSet
02-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Not supporting Young at all here but you must also look at it from his position. He had just suffered a loss after having his agent hunt down a wildcard for a week and was probably sitting in the chair upset packing his bags to get off the court as quick as possible as it was probably one of the last places he wanted to be and then he was asked to stand up for the national anthem which was being played for a different match.

May I just ask why wasn't the anthem played when the players involved in the next game were on court?

Good post, far too much is made of this anthem thing and it should not be used against him. There is a difference between an anthem being played through some cracking speakers in a low-level indoor sporting event and an official occasion like a formal celebration, funeral etc.
However, if his general attitude (outside of the anthem thing) and that of his agent also raises doubts, there could still be a good reason to be skeptical not to give him a wildcard in the future.

case
02-04-2009, 04:01 PM
What a moronic post. Do you understand that this is an USTA pro circuit event? Do you understand how much the USTA has invested in Young? It's an honor and a privilege to be an American citizen and to show respect for your country, take 2 minutes out of your time and salute the flag.

as a proud american i support young in NOT standing. i am proud of our FREEDOMS. that includes freedom to stand or not stand. you are not suggesting that a disabled person is disrespectful by not standing.
regardless or a persons ability to stand it is still impossible to make the comparison between standing and patriotism-it is pure garbage to equate respect for one's country with standing.
there are many ways to respect your country- from volunteering, voting, donating to charities (remember the great America does NOT have medical coverage for all it's citizens and quite a few AMerican children go to sleep hungry). another just as important another way to show love for a country is to improve what needs to be improved and make a more perfect union

last i heard the national anthem was an old english pub song. :rolleyes:
i understand playing the anthem at government functions , but a tennis match? i rather think that is disrespectful in itself.

are you one of those phoney people that have a support our troops bumper sticker but have done NOTHING to support the troops in seeing that they have the right equipment, ( you know the military hasnt supplied much of the right equipment) or returning vets in disability benefits, retraining, housing?

CooCooCachoo
02-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Can I ask why the anthem was played post-match, rather than before it?

Henry Chinaski
02-04-2009, 04:19 PM
It's only a song. a fucking shit one at that. One of the worst anthems I've ever heard.

just completely baffling that anyone would consider it disrespectful to remain seated during a song. A SONG for fuck sake.

If I was from Italy or The France I'd probably jump up and start dancing any time I heard the national anthem but I'm not so my arse will remain in my chair in future.

Dougie
02-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Iīm not a big fan of Young, but this has blown a bit out of proportion. Heīs a young guy, and if you go to any sporting event, thereīs always someone who doesnīt remember to stand up or take their hat off during the national anthem. Hell, it sometimes happens to formula 1 drivers when standing on the podium. So while it may not be according to etiquette, itīs really not that big a deal.
Also I donīt really see the point of the anthem played in that situation. Between matches? Why on earth? I donīt mean to be disrespectful towards the USA, but there are appropriate and less appropriate times for national anthems, and between matches at a challenger event is not really a good time, IMO.
And one more thing. If you, the organisers will deny Young a WC for next yearīs event because of this, then fine. But thatīs between you, Young (or his agent) and the sponsors. But the fact that a member of the tournament staff comes to a public internet forum bashing a 19-year old kid over this is less than cool. Not sure Young would even want a WC for next yearīs event after this.

TBarm7
02-04-2009, 04:28 PM

because we had players waiting on an adjacent court and wanted to get the anthem in so warmups could start on ct 8.

JimmyV
02-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Iīm not a big fan of Young, but this has blown a bit out of proportion. Heīs a young guy, and if you go to any sporting event, thereīs always someone who doesnīt remember to stand up or take their hat off during the national anthem. Hell, it sometimes happens to formula 1 drivers when standing on the podium. So while it may not be according to etiquette, itīs really not that big a deal.
Also I donīt really see the point of the anthem played in that situation. Between matches? Why on earth? I donīt mean to be disrespectful towards the USA, but there are appropriate and less appropriate times for national anthems, and between matches at a challenger event is not really a good time, IMO.
And one more thing. If you, the organisers will deny Young a WC for next yearīs event because of this, then fine. But thatīs between you, Young (or his agent) and the sponsors. But the fact that a member of the tournament staff comes to a public internet forum bashing a 19-year old kid over this is less than cool. Not sure Young would even want a WC for next yearīs event after this.

Good post. I pretty much agree with every point.

TBarm7
02-04-2009, 04:31 PM
as a proud american i support young in NOT standing. i am proud of our FREEDOMS. that includes freedom to stand or not stand. you are not suggesting that a disabled person is disrespectful by not standing.
regardless or a persons ability to stand it is still impossible to make the comparison between standing and patriotism-it is pure garbage to equate respect for one's country with standing.
there are many ways to respect your country- from volunteering, voting, donating to charities (remember the great America does NOT have medical coverage for all it's citizens and quite a few AMerican children go to sleep hungry). another just as important another way to show love for a country is to improve what needs to be improved and make a more perfect union

last i heard the national anthem was an old english pub song. :rolleyes:
i understand playing the anthem at government functions , but a tennis match? i rather think that is disrespectful in itself.

are you one of those phoney people that have a support our troops bumper sticker but have done NOTHING to support the troops in seeing that they have the right equipment, ( you know the military hasnt supplied much of the right equipment) or returning vets in disability benefits, retraining, housing?

do you support the us open tourney in new york? they play the anthem before every match. so if he doesn't want to stand, thats his option, but being an american, dont you think he should have at least taken off his sideways hat?(which i forgot to mention in an earlier post)

TBarm7
02-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Can I ask why the anthem was played post-match, rather than before it?

our tradition at the Dallas Challenger is to play the anthem before the first night match. Always has been, and always will be.

Deboogle!.
02-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Is the America-bashing really necessary? It is our tradition to play the national anthem at sporting events big and small. You don't have to like it or agree with it but it is our tradition and it'd be nice to respect that; I certainly wouldn't presume to know the traditions in other countries, and I certainly wouldn't bash them or put them down if I disagreed with them. As for the rest of this thread, so what? I'm an extremely proud American but I don't quite see the big deal if someone chooses not to stand during the anthem. If it bothers you as a private tournament director, that's certainly your right, but it's certainly Donald's right to not stand up. If you elect not to invite him back, that's certainly also your right, but like others, I don't quite see the point of airing that on a public message board.

TMJordan
02-04-2009, 04:35 PM
It's pretty simple, when the United States anthem is being played in Texas...you stand up.

It's really not a big deal to take 2 minutes out of your life to stand up and take your hat off.

TBarm7
02-04-2009, 04:38 PM

it's not like i just came to this forum to rag on young. i have been posting here for 3 years and feel being a "general message" forum, people need to know the lack of respect someone like Young showed toward a US tourney. no thank you's from his agent, parents or himself for the wc...nice huh?

case
02-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Is the America-bashing really necessary? It is our tradition to play the national anthem at sporting events big and small. You don't have to like it or agree with it but it is our tradition ...

actually playing the anthem at small events is not a tradition but a fairly recent development. most think the cold war kicked off all this overt patriotism.
i remember when at the seventh inning all that was played was " take me out to the ball game". i think sept 11 changed that.

TBarm7
02-04-2009, 04:39 PM
It's pretty simple, when the United States anthem is being played in Texas...you stand up.

It's really not a big deal to take 2 minutes out of your life to stand up and take your hat off.

exactly TMJ. the kid was a guest at our tourney and showed no respect for anyone. glad the fans let him hear about it after the match.

JimmyV
02-04-2009, 04:40 PM
do you support the us open tourney in new york? they play the anthem before every match. so if he doesn't want to stand, thats his option, but being an american, dont you think he should have at least taken off his sideways hat?(which i forgot to mention in an earlier post)

Good thing you didn't forget to bash his personal style too. Nothing like ripping a kid you don't even know behind his back in public. Just because you bleed red, white, and blue when you cut yourself doesn't mean everyone else does, it's a free country so let people do what they want. If I was supposed to be the next big face in American tennis and just lost *another* challenger match, I don't think I would have bothered to stand for the anthem either.

case
02-04-2009, 04:42 PM
it's not like i just came to this forum to rag on young. i have been posting here for 3 years and feel being a "general message" forum, people need to know the lack of respect someone like Young showed toward a US tourney. no thank you's from his agent, parents or himself for the wc...nice huh?

people need to know? you are full of it.
now he is showing lack of respect to the "tourney" make up your mind. next post are you going to complain that he showed you lack of respect

you are a real jerk arent you.
i have read all i need to know about you

JimmyV
02-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Why is Young indebted to you for giving him a WC? You made a business decision and allowed him to play there, I don't really get why you expect him to go around groveling to everyone and thanking them.

Deboogle!.
02-04-2009, 05:13 PM

It's really not a big deal to take 2 minutes out of your life to stand up and take your hat off.Where is this notion coming from that Texas is somehow more patriotic than the rest of the US? I lived in Texas for 4 years, and I don't think it matters one iota. In fact, many texans are quick to remind you that not only was Texas an independent nation for a few years, but in its constitution it has the right to secede from the US. Who gives a damn that it was in Texas? It's really not a big deal to stand up for 2 minutes, but it's also not really a big deal to sit down for them either. And Young had just lost, he's still a kid, perhaps he was just in a grumpy mood because he lost and just didn't handle it well. I'm certainly no Young fan but I really do think this is being blown out of proportion. Now, if he/his agent/his parents is/are personally being rude to the tournament staff, that is another story. But simply not standing up during the national anthem is, to me, really not a big deal.

Dougie
02-04-2009, 05:13 PM

At the risk of making this political, I have to ask...Is this really about not showing respect for the tourney, or offending the mighty Texas?
I could say what I think about Texas and name some political figures it has produced, but that would be off-topic so I wonīt go there...I like JR Ewing, though...

TankingTheSet
02-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Texas does seem to be the most patriotic part of the US. There are also some big corporations in Texas and business ethics practiced there raise some doubts. One example is the former Enron. Another example is Dell, a leading worldwide PC manufacturer. I have a background in the stock market and electronics markets supply chain and know what a piece of work a company like Dell is. Dell has in recent been active in misusing the US legal system to hold Asian component suppliers over the barrel with extortion-techniques on charges of "price-fixing" for numerous components.

This then results in fines up to billions of dollars for these Asian suppliers and "exemplary" jail sentences for some Asian official, even when the actual proof that a "price fixing conspiracy" actually existed is extremely flimsy. Simply by threatening to block all futures sales of that Asian company to US companies (which dominate the PC market) Dell forces the companies to confess. Hewlett-Packard, a competitor of Dell based in the western US, does not engage in such unethical practices.

CooCooCachoo
02-04-2009, 05:34 PM
^

Look at where this thread is ending up :lol:

:topic:, anyone?

CooCooCachoo
02-04-2009, 05:37 PM
our tradition at the Dallas Challenger is to play the anthem before the first night match. Always has been, and always will be.

OK. It's all fair to have the anthem played, but what I have problems with is expecting someone who just lost a match to stand up for it as well. It'd have been better to have the players of that first night match arrive to the anthem.

If I had been in Young's shoes, the anthem would be the last thing I'd be interested in after a harsh defeat.

CooCooCachoo
02-04-2009, 05:38 PM

OK. It's all fair to have the anthem played, but what I have problems with is expecting someone who just lost a match to stand up for it as well. It'd have been better to have the players of that first night match arrive to the anthem.

If I had been in Young's shoes, the anthem would be the last thing I'd be interested in after a harsh defeat.

Dougie
02-04-2009, 05:49 PM

I agree, but if I understood correctly, they wanted to "get it out of the way", so the warm-up at another court could be started. But if that was the case, was it really absolutely necessary to play in the first place? Seems like the worst possible time to me.

TBarm7
02-04-2009, 05:56 PM

thats not my call, the USTA tourney ref call

Henry Chinaski
02-04-2009, 05:57 PM
yeah, I might print out the post, frame it and give it to my Mum for her birthday.

HattonWBA
02-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Young is a tosser thats why, he needs to get his fuckin attitude right and stop playing like an overrated mug, although he is trash anyway, dont what all the hype is about

Masta_Rue
02-04-2009, 06:47 PM
If we in germany would stand up and sing our anthem during a tennis tournament, rest of the world would call us nazis.. just btw

Roddickominator
02-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah it seems pretty stupid to do the anthem directly after the match before Young and Russell came off the court....but it is definitely considered disrespectful to leave your hat on or not stand during the national anthem. I wouldn't expect all the international posters to understand, but that's just the way it is.

Lots of african-american athletes are actually seen disrespecting the anthem....especially at NBA games. I've read comments about some players that feel a sense of pride for their country now that Obama is president....it just has to do with the way they were brought up to understand the US by parents and grandparents who were treated poorly due to their race.

As for the OP...it seems more like you got bent out of shape that Young didn't perform well at your event and didn't show appreciation for being given the wildcard....as i'd imagine most players who are given wildcards are customarily thankful to the organizers etc. Young acting in this manner is not going to help him get many more favors in the future....and honestly he has gotten more than he has deserved anyway. Good call on not inviting him back unless he legitimately earns it.

Jōris
02-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Texas does seem to be the most patriotic part of the US. There are also some big corporations in Texas and business ethics practiced there raise some doubts. One example is the former Enron. Another example is Dell, a leading worldwide PC manufacturer. I have a background in the stock market and electronics markets supply chain and know what a piece of work a company like Dell is. Dell has in recent been active in misusing the US legal system to hold Asian component suppliers over the barrel with extortion-techniques on charges of "price-fixing" for numerous components.

This then results in fines up to billions of dollars for these Asian suppliers and "exemplary" jail sentences for some Asian official, even when the actual proof that a "price fixing conspiracy" actually existed is extremely flimsy. Simply by threatening to block all futures sales of that Asian company to US companies (which dominate the PC market) Dell forces the companies to confess. Hewlett-Packard, a competitor of Dell based in the western US, does not engage in such unethical practices.

Corruption happens everywhere, some are just better at hiding it

From my little perspective, when I was staying in Austin a couple years ago I thought the locals were the most laid-back and polite people I have encountered. I can't fault them really.

As for the thread, players might show more respect if you'll ressurect Jimi Hendrix for next year's national anthem.

TankingTheSet
02-04-2009, 07:53 PM

From my little perspective, when I was staying in Austin a couple years ago I thought the locals were the most laid-back and polite people I have encountered. I can't fault them really.

Yeah, however I have the impression Austin is an oasis in Texas in terms of culture and values and has a very different atmosphere from the rest of Texas. Austin is home to an extensive high-tech industry (chips) and most of the workers/engineers relocated from places like California (Silicon Valley) and the rest of the US.

Jōris
02-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Yeah, however I have the impression Austin is an oasis in Texas in terms of culture and values and has a very different atmosphere from the rest of Texas. Austin is home to an extensive high-tech industry (chips) and most of the workers/engineers relocated from places like California (Silicon Valley) and the rest of the US.

My knowledge of Texas is too narrow to adequately rip your post to shreds. Consider yourself lucky. ;)

Junkyard Racket
02-04-2009, 08:13 PM
classic post. your parents should be proud.

:lol:

navy75
02-04-2009, 08:29 PM
TBarm we've chatted several times on the Challenger forums, and I've always enjoyed chatting about the game with you. I also want to commend you on the Dallas Challenger, as it is one of the best run Challengers on the circuit by all accounts.

I cover the circuit pretty extensively as you may know, and my experiences (both personal and in covering his matches) with Young are similar to what you describe. The guy is just an out and out asshole, and there are no two ways about it. He makes up for it by being a temperamental child with no brains on the court, so I guess you could say he has the best of both worlds. It's sad to watch someone have so much talent, but have so little intelligence and respect.

I try to stay away from the general forums, as it is mostly fans and young kids with little actual knowledge of the game or the actual players themselves. It is often used more for children fighting than actual tennis discussion.

Keep us posted on everything in Dallas, and best of luck with the rest of the tournament!

r2473
02-04-2009, 08:46 PM
In reality, the only thing D. Young has done wrong is to not live up to the hype. If he starts winning, he could piss in your corn flakes and you'd ask for seconds.

Sofonda Cox
02-04-2009, 09:13 PM
I help run the Dallas Challenger and I witnessed something tonight that really pissed me and a lot of people off. Donald Young had just finished his match with Michael Russell when the Tournament Director asked everyone to please stand up so the National Anthem could be sung before our night session began. The players had not left the court yet so Russell got up while Young stayed seated during the whole anthem. Now with everyone that has gone on in the world, and especially with this tourney being in the States, this was such a classless and idiotic move. A lot of fans witnessed Young not standing during the anthem and let him have it after it was over. Here is the last thing that got under my skin. We(Challenger of Dallas) gave Donald Young one of our two wildcards for this event. His agent had been calling us for a week straight asking for a wc. Since he arrived yesterday, he has not once thanked the Tournament Director, myself or anyone else associated with the tourney. I really support the USTA and US players, but I could care less what happens to Young the rest of his career. He lost a lot of fans tonight. The child needs to grow up.

On another note, come visit our live streaming video, live scoring, match commentary and post match interviews at www.frontrowtennis.com Matches start at 11am central tomorrow(Wed)

OMFG. Get a life??

TBarm7
02-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Yeah it seems pretty stupid to do the anthem directly after the match before Young and Russell came off the court....but it is definitely considered disrespectful to leave your hat on or not stand during the national anthem. I wouldn't expect all the international posters to understand, but that's just the way it is.

Lots of african-american athletes are actually seen disrespecting the anthem....especially at NBA games. I've read comments about some players that feel a sense of pride for their country now that Obama is president....it just has to do with the way they were brought up to understand the US by parents and grandparents who were treated poorly due to their race.

As for the OP...it seems more like you got bent out of shape that Young didn't perform well at your event and didn't show appreciation for being given the wildcard....as i'd imagine most players who are given wildcards are customarily thankful to the organizers etc. Young acting in this manner is not going to help him get many more favors in the future....and honestly he has gotten more than he has deserved anyway. Good call on not inviting him back unless he legitimately earns it.

we sent his agent and the usta a letter regarding his effort and attitude. i could have cared less whether he won or lost, but to not put for his best effort after his agent calling us everyday for a wc is whats upsetting. he'll learn one day.

TBarm7
02-04-2009, 10:35 PM

As for the thread, players might show more respect if you'll ressurect Jimi Hendrix for next year's national anthem.

funny you mention hendrix...we had an 11 year old girl do an incredible electric guitar solo on monday night.

TBarm7
02-04-2009, 10:38 PM
In reality, the only thing D. Young has done wrong is to not live up to the hype. If he starts winning, he could piss in your corn flakes and you'd ask for seconds.

the only thing he has done wrong is not live up to the hype? whoa...he has been protected by the usta more than anyone in recent memory and treats tournies like we owe him everything. that is coming from myself, other challenger tournies and a couple of atp events.

TBarm7
02-04-2009, 10:44 PM
TBarm we've chatted several times on the Challenger forums, and I've always enjoyed chatting about the game with you. I also want to commend you on the Dallas Challenger, as it is one of the best run Challengers on the circuit by all accounts.

I cover the circuit pretty extensively as you may know, and my experiences (both personal and in covering his matches) with Young are similar to what you describe. The guy is just an out and out asshole, and there are no two ways about it. He makes up for it by being a temperamental child with no brains on the court, so I guess you could say he has the best of both worlds. It's sad to watch someone have so much talent, but have so little intelligence and respect.

I try to stay away from the general forums, as it is mostly fans and young kids with little actual knowledge of the game or the actual players themselves. It is often used more for children fighting than actual tennis discussion.

Keep us posted on everything in Dallas, and best of luck with the rest of the tournament!

ty navy. this is probably only the second time i have posted on the general forums section as i spend most of my time in the challenger threads. i didn't come on here to get praise from anyone, i just wanted to give the public a view from a tournaments perspective. 90% of fans on here are just that, fans, but when you work with these players on a day to day basis, you see who are the good ones and who are the bad apples. even off the court d.young brings nothing to a tourney. at this level of a tourney where you are given a wc, it is expected for you as a player to give back. interviews, hitting sessions, meet and greets, etc..., and we have never seen that from donald and never will im sure..which will be a blessing for our tourney and probably the young camp as well.

TBarm7
02-04-2009, 10:45 PM
My knowledge of Texas is too narrow to adequately rip your post to shreds. Consider yourself lucky. ;)

im shaking in my boots...internet bullies are so scary.

The Pro
02-04-2009, 10:45 PM
TBarm7,

Donald Young has long been one of MTF's least favorite tennis players overall, but in your attempt to further vilify him here you've actually managed to turn DY into a somewhat sympathetic character - temporarily anyway.

Congrats.

You're wrong. He's just brought out the sympathisers. I think Young sounds like a rude arse and that tends to be the gist of any thread about him.

fast_clay
02-04-2009, 10:49 PM
someone just needs to give don young a bit of a clip around the earhole... or maybe conceal a dog turd in his choc chip ice cream...

not sure it would make him grow up... it would just be funny thats all...

Deboogle!.
02-04-2009, 10:50 PM
ty navy. this is probably only the second time i have posted on the general forums section as i spend most of my time in the challenger threads. i didn't come on here to get praise from anyone, i just wanted to give the public a view from a tournaments perspective. 90% of fans on here are just that, fans, but when you work with these players on a day to day basis, you see who are the good ones and who are the bad apples. even off the court d.young brings nothing to a tourney. at this level of a tourney where you are given a wc, it is expected for you as a player to give back. interviews, hitting sessions, meet and greets, etc..., and we have never seen that from donald and never will im sure..which will be a blessing for our tourney and probably the young camp as well.this may be slightly OT and for that I'm sorry but you have really piqued my curiosity here. It sounds like Young's reputation amongst the US Challenger circuit, the USTA, and even by your suggestion, some ATP events, is not new. Considering this, and accepting it for the moment as true, then WHY does the USTA keep giving him wildcards? There are plenty of young American kids to give a chance to - or veterans who deserve another opportunity to have some success. why keep giving Young the WCs if he's so ungrateful, refuses to give back, and is so impolite to his hosts? I really don't understand this. He has gotten so many WCs to so many events; if he's so miserable, I don't understand why the events and the USTA keep obliging him. The USTA should cut him off if he's really as miserable as you are making him out to be (and I am not questioning your veracity at all, I'm truly confounded by this).

Henry Chinaski
02-04-2009, 10:51 PM

are you high?

what in the name of shit made you think Arend was addressing you? The fact that he quoted a post from a different user?

kai.
02-04-2009, 10:56 PM
No surprise he did the same in L.A. :rolleyes:

TankingTheSet
02-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Well some blame should go to his agent -- I mean Young is ranked high enough to be a top seed here, it's probably just because his agent ***** up and forgot to enter him that his started begging for a WC...

Although this seems to have been a common occurrence, last year I saw him getting wildcards all the time when his ranking was easily high enough to get in, it's almost as if his agent is so lazy and used to him getting wildcards (even when he could easily get in directly by signing in on time) he doesn't even bother with the normal ATP entry process. And that is of course ridiculous.

fast_clay
02-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Well some blame should go to his agent -- I mean Young is ranked high enough to be a top seed here, it's probably just because his agent ***** up and forgot to enter him that his started begging for a WC...

Although this seems to have been a common occurrence, last year I saw him getting wildcards all the time when his ranking was easily high enough to get in, it's almost as if his agent is so lazy and used to him getting wildcards (even when he could easily get in directly by signing in on time) he doesn't even bother with the normal ATP entry process. And that is of course ridiculous.

its a pretty selfish state of affairs, especially when you think that it perhaps denies a WC to a more deserving owner...

Pea
02-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Don't worry about next year. I'm sure challengers will be too big for him by then.

TankingTheSet
02-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Here's a list of Young's entries from last year to now, it would be unreasonable to say he only uses WCs but the number of WCs does seem excessive, for example most of the challengers he entered with a WC even when his ranking would have been high enough to get in directly.

Dallas CH: WC
Carson CH: DA
2008:
Nashville CH: DA/SE
Louisville CH: DA
Calabasas CH: WC
Sacramento CH: WC
Tokyo ATP: DA
Bangkok ATP: DA
US Open: DA
New Haven ATP: WC
Washington ATP: DA
Los Angeles ATP: DA
Cincinnati AMS: WC
Canada AMS: Q
Indianapolis ATP: DA
Newport ATP: WC
Wimbeledon: DA
Nottingham ATP: DA
Roland Garros: DA
Portschach ATP: DA
Tunica Resorts CH: WC
Bermuda CH: DA
Houston ATP: DA
Miami AMS: Q
Indian Wells AMS: WC
Memphis ATP: DA
San Jose ATP: DA
Delray Beach ATP: DA
Australian Open: DA

TBarm7
02-05-2009, 05:29 AM
this may be slightly OT and for that I'm sorry but you have really piqued my curiosity here. It sounds like Young's reputation amongst the US Challenger circuit, the USTA, and even by your suggestion, some ATP events, is not new. Considering this, and accepting it for the moment as true, then WHY does the USTA keep giving him wildcards? There are plenty of young American kids to give a chance to - or veterans who deserve another opportunity to have some success. why keep giving Young the WCs if he's so ungrateful, refuses to give back, and is so impolite to his hosts? I really don't understand this. He has gotten so many WCs to so many events; if he's so miserable, I don't understand why the events and the USTA keep obliging him. The USTA should cut him off if he's really as miserable as you are making him out to be (and I am not questioning your veracity at all, I'm truly confounded by this).

i totally agree with you and i think we'll see those wc's dwindle by the usta.

Jōris
02-05-2009, 12:39 PM

That wasn't directed at you. But if you want to reply to one of my posts so badly, here, I'll give you one all for yourself.

TBarm7
02-05-2009, 01:42 PM
hope you have a great day and a wonderful weekend

Deboogle!.
02-05-2009, 04:04 PM
i totally agree with you and i think we'll see those wc's dwindle by the usta.Well, good, especially considering so many of his WCs seem to come for events he could easily have entered using his ranking. We've got too many players young and older who would appreciate the opportunity to play in Challengers and ATP events to waste it on someone who doesn't appreciate it.

LleytonMonfils
02-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Wow Donald Young didn't stand up for the national anthem? BIG DEAL! That's like the country freaking out because Obama didn't wear a flag pin or put his hand over his heart during the anthem. How do you know Donald hasn't thanked anyone involved with the tourney? You following him everywhere? I'm not saying anything he did was right or wrong, but let's relax a little. He is still a kid and look at his handlers. His parents! You can only put so much pressure and blame on a kid when he has other people involved in his life, pulling his strings. He's not grown up yet geez. I hate how people forget a lot of these guys on tour are just kids.

the graduate
02-05-2009, 04:34 PM
he needs a really hard nosed coach who will kick his lazy ass

Bazooka
02-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Many interesting points of view here, but remember he was at work.

While at work, I have to deal with formalities and customs everyday. I shake hands I would rather not touch, laugh at real bad jokes, that kind of crap. And everybody does, as long as they're small things. For fuck's sake, he may be free not to stand at the anthem, just as a waiter is free to tell you how ugly you are this morning, how fat you look in that dress, etc.

Bazooka
02-05-2009, 04:41 PM
he needs a really hard nosed coach who will kick his lazy ass

Uncle Tony, with a little luck and five years of hard work, could maybe make him top 50.

Deboogle!.
02-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Wow Donald Young didn't stand up for the national anthem? BIG DEAL! That's like the country freaking out because Obama didn't wear a flag pin or put his hand over his heart during the anthem. How do you know Donald hasn't thanked anyone involved with the tourney? You following him everywhere? I'm not saying anything he did was right or wrong, but let's relax a little. He is still a kid and look at his handlers. His parents! You can only put so much pressure and blame on a kid when he has other people involved in his life, pulling his strings. He's not grown up yet geez. I hate how people forget a lot of these guys on tour are just kids.TBarm7 works for the tournament, I think he'd know if Young was being disrespectful to the tournament staff.

gusman890
02-05-2009, 06:48 PM
If you dont stand up during the pledge of Alligence, fine.

But seriously, you stand for the anthem. Its not that hard. Standing there for a mintue and half.

ZackBusner
02-05-2009, 08:54 PM
I love this thread :lol:

iSzavay.
02-06-2009, 03:20 AM
This is ridiculous.

1) If the anthem is soooooo important then why do you just have to get out of the way

2) When you lose, you don't want to stand with your hand on your heart listening to some perpetual song, you wanna leave

3) Just because Delic goes around kissing butts doesn't mean everyone does

iSzavay.
02-06-2009, 03:22 AM
Oh and also, I think you would be getting more sponsors by gaining pretty famous players like Young, not losing them :tape:

meihaditalab
02-06-2009, 03:24 AM
wow. didn't expect that from Donald Young. I though he would have a little respect. :S

Mane
02-06-2009, 05:27 AM
Thats normally to listen national anthem on tournaments in Croatia and Slovenia during the opening ceremony on first sunday, btw. Young will never be on Cilic's level.

WARPSTAR
02-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Hello, everyone.:wavey: I am a real newbie. This is my second post. I am not quite sure if my English is functioning here. But let me try.

Is the America-bashing really necessary? It is our tradition to play the national anthem at sporting events big and small. You don't have to like it or agree with it but it is our tradition and it'd be nice to respect that; I certainly wouldn't presume to know the traditions in other countries, and I certainly wouldn't bash them or put them down if I disagreed with them. As for the rest of this thread, so what? I'm an extremely proud American but I don't quite see the big deal if someone chooses not to stand during the anthem. If it bothers you as a private tournament director, that's certainly your right, but it's certainly Donald's right to not stand up. If you elect not to invite him back, that's certainly also your right, but like others, I don't quite see the point of airing that on a public message board.

As Deboogle mentioned, the anthem stuff or patriotism is not really an issue here, I guess.

TBarm7, first of all is this OK if USTA people knows your post about Donald Young?:confused:
Well, your negative campaign against him seems successful. We all know what kind of person he is by now. But you must know that your act is equally immature and unprofessional. I mean if this was a post from one of the audience in Texas, I'd see no problem with that. But as you are a person involved, you shouldn't have come to the public forum to rag on him. I'd rather call Young's agent directly and make complaints or suggest the authorities not to give him WC next year, whatever.
Anyway, this is the first time I see the inside scoop.:devil:
Congrats! You made history.

out_here_grindin
02-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Please. I'd be more concerned with classless fans

Ouragan
02-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Why do we need to play the anthem? We are in the States, an indoor event, so of course we are going to play the National Anthem. Kind of a no brainer there.

It isn't a no-brainer for everybody, dude. In many countries, in Europe in particular, you don't belt out the national anthem at minor sport events. The anthem is reserved for real special occasions.

marifline
02-07-2009, 09:00 PM

Of course... :rolleyes: well, that's probably a no brainer in the States...not in the rest of the world though...

Any other country where they play the national anthem in tournaments ?

And could you explain how the fact that it was an indoor event has anything to do with it ?

I'm honestly curious to know the answers

Deboogle!.
02-07-2009, 09:14 PM
It isn't a no-brainer for everybody, dude. In many countries, in Europe in particular, you don't belt out the national anthem at minor sport events. The anthem is reserved for real special occasions.

Of course... :rolleyes: well, that's probably a no brainer in the States...not in the rest of the world though...

Any other country where they play the national anthem in tournaments ?

And could you explain how the fact that it was an indoor event has anything to do with it ?

I'm honestly curious to know the answersDoes it matter that it is US tradition? that's not the issue here. Feel free to question our traditions, but it's a tennis forum so it doesn't matter. I remember once when I was maybe 8 or 9 I went to see my friend skate in a little show at the local ice rink, and they played a recorded version at that. For whatever reason it is tradition to play our anthem at events where people get together. I've heard it at concerts, sporting events, non-religious holiday celebrations etc. It's how it is here. I certainly wouldn't presume to know or judge what your traditions are in France as I am not familiar with them. Who cares? I'm sure the thread starter was not intending to engage in a discussion of American tradition in regards to our anthem, he was trying to discuss Donald Young's behavior at his event.

DhammaTiger
02-07-2009, 09:37 PM
In Thailand, the national anthem is played at 8:30 am and 6pm, in most public places,and in cinemas before the show starts.And you have to stop doing what you are doing. I play tennis in the morning in my neighbourhood court and most often the sound of the national anthem comes wafting through from a nearby school, and everything freezes in mid action. Joggers or people doing exercises in the park stop in mid motion because the national anthem is being played. If like me,you are a foreigner people will gently tell you to stand still, but if you are a Thai you can get killed if you disrespect the national anthem by not standing. last year there was a case of a young Thai who didn't stand for the Royal anthem in a cinema, he was arrested and prosecuted after other cine gowers beat him to a pulp. My young Thai friends told me they would have killed him if they were there. I am an anarchist by nature and abhor nation states, but as a respect for the places where I visit I will always respect their traditions even if I don't agree with them. Also, I think that people should respect traditions of other countries and not denigrate them. Thus, I don't understand why this bashing of American tradition of respect for their flag or national anthems when it's played.

JMG
02-07-2009, 10:04 PM
In Thailand, the national anthem is played at 8:30 am and 6pm, in most public places,and in cinemas before the show starts.And you have to stop doing what you are doing. I play tennis in the morning in my neighbourhood court and most often the sound of the national anthem comes wafting through from a nearby school, and everything freezes in mid action. Joggers or people doing exercises in the park stop in mid motion because the national anthem is being played. If like me,you are a foreigner people will gently tell you to stand still, but if you are a Thai you can get killed if you disrespect the national anthem by not standing. last year there was a case of a young Thai who didn't stand for the Royal anthem in a cinema, he was arrested and prosecuted after other cine gowers beat him to a pulp. My young Thai friends told me they would have killed him if they were there. I am an anarchist by nature and abhor nation states, but as a respect for the places where I visit I will always respect their traditions even if I don't agree with them. Also, I think that people should respect traditions of other countries and not denigrate them. Thus, I don't understand why this bashing of American tradition of respect for their flag or national anthems when it's played.

Sounds like a sick tradition. Did the people have to wait until the anthem was finished, before they beat up this guy who didn't stand still, or were they allowed to trash him during the anthem?

fred perry
02-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Young should observe the latest winner of a grand slam event and learn how "Adults" treat people with class and dignity. :wavey:

DhammaTiger
02-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Sounds like a sick tradition. Did the people have to wait until the anthem was finished, before they beat up this guy who didn't stand still, or were they allowed to trash him during the anthem?

It's not a sick tradition, and no one is forcing you to go to Thailand, if you don't want to go. But if you go there you have to respect the laws and traditions of the country you visit. It's against the law not to stand for the national anthem in many countries, not just in Thailand. Every country has their own traditions and cultures. You are just proving your own ignorance of the world, and arrogance in thinking you are right by your post. When I visit Germany, I assume that is your country, I don't do anything to disobey the laws or criticise the people there. So, I can't see any reason why other people can't do the same. As the saying goes, "when in rome, do as the romans do".

GustavoM_Fan
02-08-2009, 12:19 AM
:haha:
it is obvious than to kill a guy because he didnt stand to anthem is a sick tradition :rolleyes:
u cant defend this

reece
02-08-2009, 10:14 AM
This is an awesome thread.

I am not a DY fan, but it's fascinating to see TBarm7 trying to take the moral high ground here and attempt a pathetic sort of revenge by bad mouthing DY for not respecting him enough. "Stand up and respect me god-dammit Donald, I help run a challenger event, I AM IMPORTANT!!". Talk about throwing your toys out the pram.

I thought America (and the anthem) stood for freedom and yet DY is getting lynched for exercising his own right to stay seated after an embarrassing loss.

Another thing. I've never even heard of the Dallas Challenger, but I've heard of Donald Young. You need famous names at your event. Can you imagine if you actually had a top 10 player at your event? Like someone else said, he could piss in your cornflakes and you'd thank him. Get over yourself, it's just an anthem, if you want to stand that's up to you, but nobody has the right to assassinate your character over that decision. Your selective memory may make you proud to be an American but DY may see things differently, as is his right.

Also, it's DY's agents job to go around getting his schedule together but I doubt the practicalities of that process concern DY himself, he's there to play tennis. He didn't personally call up begging for a wildcard, did he?

I'm glad DY ruffled a few feathers at your little event so that I could read all the hypocrisy that has been exposed in this thread, it's been entertaining.
Anyway, If his behavior is old news, why do people like you keep giving him wild cards?

JMG
02-09-2009, 10:18 AM
http://site.frontrowtennis.com/2009_Archived_Matches.html

I noticed the scene is there in the archive, starting at around 81:00. She is a pathetic singer btw.

WARPSTAR
02-09-2009, 12:19 PM
http://site.frontrowtennis.com/2009_Archived_Matches.html

I noticed the scene is there in the archive, starting at around 81:00. She is a pathetic singer btw.

looks like I missed it. at around 81:00 they play doubles.:sad:

But serously i dont understand why so many guys here only mind what you do with the anthem but overlook a real problem of...:confused:
i mean, TBarm7 is probaly old enough to be DY's father. look at what he is doing. this is...what he said?...let me see, here u go. a classless and idiotic move!

JMG
02-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Of course you have to choose the Russell vs Young file, not some random video. :o

WARPSTAR
02-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Of course you have to choose the Russell vs Young file, not some random video. :o

Indeed. I felt kind of sorry for the woman. Texas, far country.:worship:

TBarm7
02-09-2009, 02:22 PM
This is an awesome thread.

I am not a DY fan, but it's fascinating to see TBarm7 trying to take the moral high ground here and attempt a pathetic sort of revenge by bad mouthing DY for not respecting him enough. "Stand up and respect me god-dammit Donald, I help run a challenger event, I AM IMPORTANT!!". Talk about throwing your toys out the pram.

I thought America (and the anthem) stood for freedom and yet DY is getting lynched for exercising his own right to stay seated after an embarrassing loss.

Another thing. I've never even heard of the Dallas Challenger, but I've heard of Donald Young. You need famous names at your event. Can you imagine if you actually had a top 10 player at your event? Like someone else said, he could piss in your cornflakes and you'd thank him. Get over yourself, it's just an anthem, if you want to stand that's up to you, but nobody has the right to assassinate your character over that decision. Your selective memory may make you proud to be an American but DY may see things differently, as is his right.

Also, it's DY's agents job to go around getting his schedule together but I doubt the practicalities of that process concern DY himself, he's there to play tennis. He didn't personally call up begging for a wildcard, did he?

I'm glad DY ruffled a few feathers at your little event so that I could read all the hypocrisy that has been exposed in this thread, it's been entertaining.
Anyway, If his behavior is old news, why do people like you keep giving him wild cards?

Can we imagine if we had a top 10 player at our event? Obviously you don't follow tennis much. Since we are a 50k Challenger, we can't get anyone inside of the top 50, but thanks for trying to make a point.

As for you never hearing about our event, sorry about that. We have one of the most successful Challenger events on tour that is very well respected by the USTA, ATP and all players that play here. Check out some of the coverage this year at www.frontrowtennis.com Doubt you will see coverage like this at your local Challenger, but I could be wrong.

Have a great day.

WARPSTAR
02-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Can we imagine if we had a top 10 player at our event? Obviously you don't follow tennis much. Since we are a 50k Challenger, we can't get anyone inside of the top 50, but thanks for trying to make a point.

As for you never hearing about our event, sorry about that. We have one of the most successful Challenger events on tour that is very well respected by the USTA, ATP and all players that play here. Check out some of the coverage this year at www.frontrowtennis.com (http://www.frontrowtennis.com) Doubt you will see coverage like this at your local Challenger, but I could be wrong.

Have a great day.

That's not the point,TBarm7! Nobody really cares about how special your event is. Can't you see that? Really. I have no idea if you're trying to be that dumb or truly...:eek:
But since the event is so much respected by the USTA, it makes more difficult to understand what you're trying to do here.
According to you the USTA has hugely invested in Young. So the kid is their asset until at least they confirm Another Hope. But a committee of the Dallas Challenger is lowering the value of it only because he believes [quote]people need to know the lack of respect someone like Young, blah, blah, blah.

TBarm7, I think the USTA would be doubtful of your aptitude if they know about this. But you are not worried and will maintain your position. Money is what matters. Moral is a way behind, right?;)

BTW you can be proud of the event for sure. I can tell it is successful by just a glance at your site. Are you the one with mustache? Dude, you look sexy.:wavey:

TBarm7
02-09-2009, 06:49 PM
That's not the point,TBarm7! Nobody really cares about how special your event is. Can't you see that? Really. I have no idea if you're trying to be that dumb or truly...:eek:
But since the event is so much respected by the USTA, it makes more difficult to understand what you're trying to do here.
According to you the USTA has hugely invested in Young. So the kid is their asset until at least they confirm Another Hope. But a committee of the Dallas Challenger is lowering the value of it only because he believes [QUOTE]people need to know the lack of respect someone like Young, blah, blah, blah.

TBarm7, I think the USTA would be doubtful of your aptitude if they know about this. But you are not worried and will maintain your position. Money is what matters. Moral is a way behind, right?;)

BTW you can be proud of the event for sure. I can tell it is successful by just a glance at your site.:wavey:

Can't wait to see the response from the USTA. Our General Manager(TD) contacted Young's agent regarding his behavior here and copied the USTA on it. Within hours the agent had responded to us and said he will take immediate action. Whether that will be the case or not, who knows. The lack of respect that Young showed our tournament officials is what is sad. Again, we'll see what happens.

The purpose of this thread was to point out that the behavior of Young was childish and for as many years as he has been on tour, he should have known better. I seriously doubt the USTA will be backing Mr. Young as often as in years past. The head USTA official was very upset by Donald's actions and turned in written paperwork to the head of the Challenger Circuit, so again, we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the nice compliments about our tourney.

Tankman
02-09-2009, 06:52 PM
so TBarm someone tells me you're the guy angry with Donald Young for not standing for the national anthem.

Care to explain yourself? :wavey:

TBarm7
02-09-2009, 08:01 PM
so TBarm someone tells me you're the guy angry with Donald Young for not standing for the national anthem.

Care to explain yourself? :wavey:

Not only was I disgusted by his actions, so were other American players, USTA officials and our Tournament Director and Manager. If you aren't an American, I don't expect you to understand what the Anthem means and why we salute our flag. How hard would it have been for Young when the announcer told everyone to remove their hats and please stand for the anthem for him to do so? 2 mintues out of his life to do the right thing.

Again, the other thing that us as a tournament and our sponsors were upset about was there was no thank you from Donald or anyone in his camp for giving him a wc. A wc that his agent hounded us for. He showed up one day before his scheduled match, gave no interviews, didn't attend any of our adult or junior clinics, played his match and left. That was not what was discussed with his agent on what he would do for the tournament since he received one of our two wc's.

Bobby
02-09-2009, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=WARPSTAR;8136616]That's not the point,TBarm7! Nobody really cares about how special your event is. Can't you see that? Really. I have no idea if you're trying to be that dumb or truly...:eek:
According to you the USTA has hugely invested in Young. So the kid is their asset until at least they confirm Another Hope. But a committee of the Dallas Challenger is lowering the value of it only because he believes

Can't wait to see the response from the USTA. Our General Manager(TD) contacted Young's agent regarding his behavior here and copied the USTA on it. Within hours the agent had responded to us and said he will take immediate action. Whether that will be the case or not, who knows. The lack of respect that Young showed our tournament officials is what is sad. Again, we'll see what happens.

The purpose of this thread was to point out that the behavior of Young was childish and for as many years as he has been on tour, he should have known better. I seriously doubt the USTA will be backing Mr. Young as often as in years past. The head USTA official was very upset by Donald's actions and turned in written paperwork to the head of the Challenger Circuit, so again, we'll see what happens.

Seriously man, take it easy! Your challenger won't be that respected much longer since you're constantly giving out information you should keep to yourself! What Young's agent or USTA says to you, is totally between your challenger and them. You say that Young showed lack of respect. Well, one could say that your behaviour is not that classy either.

Tankman
02-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Not only was I disgusted by his actions, so were other American players, USTA officials and our Tournament Director and Manager. If you aren't an American, I don't expect you to understand what the Anthem means and why we salute our flag. How hard would it have been for Young when the announcer told everyone to remove their hats and please stand for the anthem for him to do so? 2 mintues out of his life to do the right thing.

I'm not American. But I'm as patriotic as you. Again explain EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED. But from what you tell me, if it's not such a big deal, then why are you making it such a big deal?

Anyone can stand for 2 minutes and pretend to be paying respect to an anthem. Not everyone can represent their country though.

Again, the other thing that us as a tournament and our sponsors were upset about was there was no thank you from Donald or anyone in his camp for giving him a wc. A wc that his agent hounded us for. He showed up one day before his scheduled match, gave no interviews, didn't attend any of our adult or junior clinics, played his match and left. That was not what was discussed with his agent on what he would do for the tournament since he received one of our two wc's.

Seriously do you care so much whether Donald brushes you off or gives you $100000000000 for your help. If he doesn't care about you, then forget about him. Don't give him another WC ever again. simple. then maybe he will come crawling back asking for forgiveness :p

WARPSTAR
02-09-2009, 08:37 PM

Hey, mustache! Thanks for another inside scoop. :devil:
But again you missed the point.

I'm sure the USTA is not too proud of Donald's actions. So tell me, did the USTA ask you for bad-mouthing the kid here in this thread? In hope, this will help him amend his attitude, maybe?
And do they know that you are reporting inside matters of the USTA like the above?

BTW don't misunderstand me. I'm not a Donald's fan or anything. You are a way sexier than the kid. :hearts:

C'mon, TBarm7! You just wanted to blow off steam. And I was only annoyed by your [QUOTE]classless and idiotic move. That's all.

Just curious, by giving a wc what do you normally expect in return? A bottle of Burgundy? :p

TBarm7
02-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Hey, mustache! Thanks for another inside scoop. :devil:

I'm sure the USTA is not too proud of Donald's actions. So tell me, did the USTA ask you for bad-mouthing the kid here in this thread? In hope, this will help him amend his attitude, maybe?
And do they know that you are reporting inside matters of the USTA like the above?

BTW don't misunderstand me. I'm not a Donald's fan or anything. You are a way sexier than the kid. :hearts:

C'mon, TBarm7! You just wanted to blow off steam. And I was only annoyed by your [QUOTE]classless and idiotic move. That's all.

Just curious, by giving a wc what do you normally expect in return? A bottle of Burgundy? :p

obviously you haven't run a professional tournament before and we will leave it at that. we'll close this thread right here.

Tankman
02-09-2009, 11:30 PM
[QUOTE=WARPSTAR;8137193]Hey, mustache! Thanks for another inside scoop. :devil:

C'mon, TBarm7! You just wanted to blow off steam. And I was only annoyed by your

obviously you haven't run a professional tournament before and we will leave it at that. we'll close this thread right here.

hey!

ignore that guy and RESPOND TO ME :p

TBarm7
02-09-2009, 11:32 PM
[QUOTE=TBarm7;8138135]

hey!

ignore that guy and RESPOND TO ME :p

hey tankman. no disrespect, but i think it would be best to end this thread. everything that happened is at the beginning of the thread. have a great day.

Tankman
02-09-2009, 11:34 PM
you too mate

I hope you take my advice :yeah:

I also refuse to read the beginning of the thread cos I have better things to do :p

but yeah I don't mind if you end this thread now. go do something productive like organise a tourney or something ;)

reece
02-25-2009, 06:53 PM

As for you never hearing about our event, sorry about that. We have one of the most successful Challenger events on tour that is very well respected by the USTA, ATP and all players that play here. Check out some of the coverage this year at www.frontrowtennis.com Doubt you will see coverage like this at your local Challenger, but I could be wrong.

Have a great day.

Don't follow tennis much? Believe me I would put money on the fact that I've been to 5 times more tournaments worldwide already than you will ever attend. I'm just not American, so no, the 'Dallas Challenger' doesn't mean a whole lot.

Stop missing the point anyway. All that reply shows is once again your out of proportion sense of self-importance.

HattonWBA
02-25-2009, 07:11 PM
he's an over rated tosser anyway

Tsongation
02-25-2009, 11:44 PM

My thoughts too ... the only thing that kept coming to mind for me was ... "something in the milk of this story aint clean" :tape:

Tsongation
02-25-2009, 11:50 PM

No they do not play the anthem before every match ... I have been to plenty of matches at the open & it's not played before EVERY match.

Tsongation
02-26-2009, 12:02 AM
Lest I forget this is the same country that vilified Muhammad Ali because he wouldn't fight in Vietnam ... now they praise him like he's God

The US also hated on (some still do secretly) the Williams' sisters, now they are all the USTA has on the women's side.

Even most recently, some idiots were bashing President Obama because he didn't have on a coat & tie in the White House.

That's just 3 examples of many more I could quote that shows this stuff has been going on for years. So go 'head Donald & stand for the national anthem to appease the others...

JimmyV
02-26-2009, 03:16 AM
No they do not play the anthem before every match ... I have been to plenty of matches at the open & it's not played before EVERY match.

The thread starter is such a tool. I go to the US Open every year and your totally right, it's absolutely not played before every match.

moon language
02-26-2009, 04:43 AM
Well this thread just makes me want to support Young. So he didn't stand for the anthem, big deal.

moon language
02-26-2009, 04:45 AM

Yeah I've never heard it played there once. I know they play it at the opening night ceremony but I've been to a lot of matches there on all the different courts and never heard it.

Tsongation
02-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Well this thread just makes me want to support Young. So he didn't stand for the anthem, big deal.

Right ... I'm not even a Donald Young fan but reading this thread made me wish him well. They put so much pressure on this guy from age 8...I'm sure it became overwhelming for him between parents, agents, the usta & trying to find his game. Now that it's looking like he wont be America's male equivalent of the Williams' sisters, it appears they are spitting on the dude. I would be a 19yr old brat too :smoke:

CooCooCachoo
03-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Young is now taking part in Qualies of the USA F6 Futures event in McAllen, Texas :tape:

Q1: Bye
Q2: Donald Young USA [1/WC] vs. Harry Fowler USA

krystlel
03-01-2009, 10:33 AM
... and took a wildcard into it, that he didn't need. Though I guess he wasn't able to get a wildcard into the main draw.

(I just read through the entire thread by the way, fascinating read though I have nothing to add)

Voo de Mar
03-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Young is now taking part in Qualies of the USA F6 Futures event in McAllen, Texas :tape:

Q1: Bye
Q2: Donald Young USA [1/WC] vs. Harry Fowler USA

Fall down :tape:

CooCooCachoo
03-01-2009, 01:28 PM
... and took a wildcard into it, that he didn't need. Though I guess he wasn't able to get a wildcard into the main draw.

(I just read through the entire thread by the way, fascinating read though I have nothing to add)

He did need the WC. Playing this Future was probably a late decision, and since he never committed to play, he wasn't on the entry list. For Futures it works differently than for Challengers, and there's an entry list for qualies too. So unless you commit or get a WC, you are not in.

JMG
03-01-2009, 05:18 PM
And I guess he wasn't even allowed to commit, as he is a top 150 player. :shrug:

Tommy_Vercetti
03-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Hope we never have to hear that tool McEnroe spew his garbage about players like Young again. They should write off his opinion of "talent."

10K Futures Qualifier
03-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Young wins in a close one, 7-5, 6-3.

krystlel
03-02-2009, 10:11 AM
And I guess he wasn't even allowed to commit, as he is a top 150 player. :shrug:
Thanks for that. So it looks like some kind of bending of rules, in that he can't commit but he can apply for a wildcard?

He did need the WC. Playing this Future was probably a late decision, and since he never committed to play, he wasn't on the entry list. For Futures it works differently than for Challengers, and there's an entry list for qualies too. So unless you commit or get a WC, you are not in.
Yeah I figured it was a late decision, like maybe he felt like he was struggling (very badly) and needed to get some confidence, otherwise there's no need to drop down that far. What a contrast to taking all of those ATP main draw wildcards though.

Snowwy
03-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Folwer is a half decent player, he shouldnt have won 6 games, but hes not awful or anything.

Baghdatis#1
03-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Is this like his GM Cheering thread?:spit:

tennissukz
03-03-2009, 03:46 PM
I love that Young is playing futures qualifying. Hope he learns from the greats like Valenti there.

CooCooCachoo
03-04-2009, 10:59 AM
1R:

Donald YOUNG (http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/player.asp?player=100035263) (USA) (1) Vs Artur CHERNOV (http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/player.asp?player=100043342) (RUS)

binkygirl
03-04-2009, 03:35 PM
we sent his agent and the usta a letter regarding his effort and attitude. i could have cared less whether he won or lost, but to not put for his best effort after his agent calling us everyday for a wc is whats upsetting. he'll learn one day.

Why was he given one then? It has been almost 4 years of wildcards for him. I've never seen anyone showered with so many. For most crowned as 'promising', the wildcards dry up after a year or so. It is surprising to learn that he has not adjusted his attitude to tour life.

zicofirol
03-04-2009, 11:02 PM
this thread is funny, it immidietly turned into America and Texas bashing. So America has a tradition of playing the anthem at sporting events, and people in the US respect. Live with it.

THose hissy fits against the anthem being played also miss the point that Young has demonstrated he is an asshole in several other tournaments and the other person with closer contact to him than most morons in this thread had the same opinion of young.

As for me, ive only seen him in two tournaments 1 challenger and one atp and he came off as a spoiled asshole in both...

Jōris
03-05-2009, 09:10 AM
As for me, ive only seen him in two tournaments 1 challenger and one atp and he came off as a spoiled asshole in both...

Often we see in people what we choose to see - an asshole to some is a likeable guy to others. Could you give specific incidents to illustrate your negative view on him?

zicofirol
03-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Often we see in people what we choose to see - an asshole to some is a likeable guy to others. Could you give specific incidents to illustrate your negative view on him?

I said he came off as an asshole, just the way he acted... nothing in particular

Tsongation
03-05-2009, 02:35 PM
I said he came off as an asshole, just the way he acted... nothing in particular

Now this speaks VERY highly of you ... you have no specifics, yet you say the guy came off as a asshole. :help: People like you are interesting characters to say the least. :tape:

CooCooCachoo
03-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Well, he has been avoiding embarrassment in McAllen so far.

Donald YOUNG (http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/player.asp?player=100035263) (USA) (1) defeated Artur CHERNOV (http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/player.asp?player=100043342) (RUS) 6-4 6-2

Next up:

Donald YOUNG (http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/player.asp?player=100035263) (USA) (1) Vs Tigran MARTIROSYAN (http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/player.asp?player=30022657) (ARM)

Hugh Jaas
03-05-2009, 08:15 PM

I call BSon your comment.

D young-respected
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3339/youngopenvo8.jpg

a RODdick-douchebag

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/jsnash/non-Roger/12504984rfederer232007103256AM.jpg

JMG
03-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Martirosyan beat the Don 62 76.

shotgun
03-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Martirosyan beat the Don 62 76.

Maybe Stephan/Gigan will jump on his bandwagon then.

scarecrows
03-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Tigran :rocker2:

Ozone
03-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Tigran is a great player.

CooCooCachoo
03-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Awesome win for Tigran, who should progress to Challenger level in the course of the year.

CooCooCachoo
06-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Yuba City Challenger:

SECOND ROUND

Cecil Mamiit PHI [WC] vs. Pierre-Ludovic Duclos CAN | 7-6 6-1
Ryler DeHeart USA vs. Sam Warburg USA [6] | 6-1 5-7 6-3
Adam Feeney AUS [Q] vs. Michael Ryderstedt SWE | 6-3 5-7 6-4
Michael Russell USA [5] vs. Conor Niland IRL | 7-5 6-0

Carsten Ball AUS [7] vs. Fritz Wolmarans RSA [Q] | 3-6 6-1 6-4
Lester Cook USA vs. Donald Young USA [4] | 6-4 6-3
Michael Yani USA vs. Nicholas Monroe USA | 6-4 6-0
Eric Nuņez USA vs. Marcel Felder URU | 3-6 6-2 6-3

Mimi
06-05-2009, 08:41 AM
the powerful domination of usa on tennis was gone after pete retired :sad:

Forehander
06-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Unlike Bernard Tomic the future Greatest of All Time, Donald Young have absolutely no right to be so arrogant.

CooCooCachoo
06-05-2009, 09:19 AM
:lol:

Interesting to note is how that other pillar of American tennis, Vince Spadea, lost in the first round to none other than Pierre-Ludovic Duclos. And that follows his loss to Ryderstedt in the first round of last week's Carson Challenger.

jmf07
06-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Unlike Bernard Tomic the future Greatest of All Time, Donald Young have absolutely no right to be so arrogant.

Perhaps Tomic should take notice of what has happened with Young. There are similarities between he and Young except Tomic’s career is looking good but so was Donald’s at the same age.

cool bird1
06-05-2009, 10:40 AM
I think the USTA fucked up with Donald Young and they know they did. Tqhey aloud him to go out in the challanger seen much too early at 14 and that blew his confidents.

tennis2tennis
06-05-2009, 11:02 AM
the powerful domination of usa on tennis was gone after pete retired :sad:

why cry for the american's?

Mimi
06-05-2009, 11:09 AM
why cry for the american's?
not that I specially like Amercians, I jsut like Pete :wavey:

Kuhne
06-05-2009, 11:16 AM
with everything that's going on in the world.............................what the sex?

Ivo#1Fan
06-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Tomic, the future greatest of all time?, lost early in the French Open JUNIORS this week.

ClaudiuS
07-28-2009, 01:14 AM
What a great thread.

HattonWBA
07-28-2009, 08:23 AM
He is fucking shit. end of.

Mimi
07-28-2009, 08:55 AM
poor Americans, there won't be any more top players at the time Roddick and Blake etc retired ..