Favourite tennis mag? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Favourite tennis mag?

Consigliere
02-04-2009, 02:08 AM
What is your favourite tennis magazine?

I only know of four I've seen,

- Tennis (this is my fav, a little thin though)
- Tennis Life (looks a bit cheapy whenever I've seen it)
- Deuce (haven't ever read it)
- Australian Tennis (not bad but kind've simplistic)

The one thing that annoys me most about tennis magazines is there is way too many tips and ads for tennis gear, I prefer just articles and interviews being only a fan these days and not playing much.

Ferrero Forever
02-04-2009, 03:21 AM
What is your favourite tennis magazine?

I only know of four I've seen,

- Tennis (this is my fav, a little thin though)
- Tennis Life (looks a bit cheapy whenever I've seen it)
- Deuce (haven't ever read it)
- Australian Tennis (not bad but kind've simplistic)

The one thing that annoys me most about tennis magazines is there is way too many tips and ads for tennis gear, I prefer just articles and interviews being only a fan these days and not playing much.

I only buy Aus Tennis Mag because its got the most substance to it. Tennis life i've gotta agree with you, for the price it's rather bare. Deuce isn't bad, though i've only seen it in stores once, but I rather liked it, its probably the best if you like articles and interviews. Tennis I've never seen before. Theres one store in the city that sells a French tennis magazine, and though I have no idea what it says, it looks awesome.

bluefork
02-04-2009, 03:34 AM
The problem with tennis magazines is that by the time you get them, most of the stuff in there is old news. I remember last year Tennis Magazine's Wimbledon preview included predictions about Justine Henin--and she'd been retired for a couple of months. :lol:

Dougie
02-04-2009, 04:49 AM
The problem with tennis magazines is that by the time you get them, most of the stuff in there is old news. I remember last year Tennis Magazine's Wimbledon preview included predictions about Justine Henin--and she'd been retired for a couple of months. :lol:

I´ve noticed the same thing. Who wants to read an Australian Open preview in march?
That´s one of the reasons why I hardly ever buy tennis magazines nowadays.

reggie1
02-04-2009, 08:45 AM
I know this is a little off topic (hope nobody minds) but does anybody know what has happened to the ATP Tennis Magazine Show? It hasn't been shown on t.v at all this season.

GlennMirnyi
02-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Ashley Harkleroad's Playboy? It was the best magazine with something related to tennis on it I've see for a good while. :p

MurrayFan1
02-04-2009, 01:34 PM
I like Ace Tennis, and I agree that they sometimes have too many playing sections/gear ads.

Horatio Caine
02-04-2009, 01:53 PM
I like Ace Tennis, and I agree that they sometimes have too many playing sections/gear ads.

Interesting that this particular magazine is mentioned...as you know, they have just revamped it, and it will be published bi-monthly instead of monthly.

What do you think of it?

Personally, I liked it the way it has been the last 3-4 years. I find the new format a little "tacky" (like something you'd find in a hair salon/dentist reception area) and some of the new features bordering on stupid (e.g. "Alternative predictions for 2009"). As for the bi-monthly set-up...reading coverage of the recent Australian Open series in early March? Not convinced that this a great approach. :shrug: Believe me, I'd like to be complimentary, but there really wasn't much at all that I liked about it! Will be giving good consideration to whether I choose to continue my subscription to it...a subscription I have held since 1997.

As for other magazines, I usually pick up a copy of the French Tennis mag when I'm in France...really like it. :)

Puschkin
02-04-2009, 02:24 PM
French Tennis Magazine by far. It has a certain national focus (which suits me well ;)), but it is very smpathetic to all players. I preferred the old lay-out, though.

German Tennis Magazin is crap and by mysterious ways I get an American one (which I never ordered), I don't even remember the name, I throw it away immediately. It only knows four players: Roddick, the Williams sisters and Sharapova. :rolleyes:

KarlyM
02-04-2009, 10:08 PM
I know this is a little off topic (hope nobody minds) but does anybody know what has happened to the ATP Tennis Magazine Show? It hasn't been shown on t.v at all this season. http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/multimedia/atpshow.asp

^According to the ATP website, it's coming back on in "late 2009" and will be called the ATP World Tour Show. :)

Consigliere
02-04-2009, 10:09 PM
I'll see if I can find this French mag in the city somewhere then, might bring back some of the French I studied in school.

Theres one store in the city that sells a French tennis magazine, and though I have no idea what it says, it looks awesome.

Do you live in Melbourne, if yes are you talking about McGills newsagent and books?

Ferrero Forever
02-04-2009, 10:48 PM
I'll see if I can find this French mag in the city somewhere then, might bring back some of the French I studied in school.

Do you live in Melbourne, if yes are you talking about McGills newsagent and books?
Not McGills, I'm talking about MagNation on Elizabeth Street. It seems very biased to French players, but it seems to have heaps of pics and content to it. Don't blame me if its crap, I don't know one word of French hehe.

Consigliere
02-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Ok thx.

Puschkin
02-05-2009, 06:00 AM
It seems very biased to French players...
Some of the last editions I remember have long interviews with Zwonareva, Safin and Ancic, I would not call that a French bias. ;)

Ferrero Forever
02-05-2009, 06:02 AM
Some of the last editions I remember have long interviews with Zwonareva, Safin and Ancic, I would not call that a French bias. ;)

I've got no idea. I just saw a million pictures of Tsonga in one issue. As I said, I've got no idea what on earth the magazine was about

TankingTheSet
02-05-2009, 06:27 AM
I guess these magazines are facing hard times, I mean 10-15 years ago before the internet really took off most of the people on MTF would have been potential customers, but today most people can get their up-to-date info from MTF and other sources on the net and the motivation for buying such a magazine is greatly reduced.

reggie1
02-05-2009, 09:00 AM
I must be really old fashioned because I like having a magazine to read, looking at pictures on actual paper and turning the pages. :lol:
Oh and thanks Karly for the info about the t.v show :hug: