The "enjoy your little break, you've earned it :D (and vamos mandy)" Spring HC Thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The "enjoy your little break, you've earned it :D (and vamos mandy)" Spring HC Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Deboogle!.
02-03-2009, 06:05 PM
San Jose
Memphis :o http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/feb/03/roddick-commits-play-regions-morgan-keegan-event-h/ :haha:
Dubai
IW
Miami

:help:

thread titles welcome please:) thanks kate for the title inspiration ;)

Kate87
02-03-2009, 06:10 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

and i love the thread title :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

vamos andy :)

in this case...he will win dubai easily :D

Deboogle!.
02-03-2009, 06:11 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

tsurupettan
02-03-2009, 06:23 PM
So he decides to play Memphis, after all... :scratch:

wat.

Hopefully the jet-lag induces some great, cracked out tennis skillz. ;)

Kate87
02-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Hopefully the jet-lag induces some great, cracked out tennis skillz. ;)
it usually does :haha: dubai 08 :haha:

Tytta!.
02-03-2009, 06:28 PM
ombg.

Kate87
02-03-2009, 06:29 PM
:)

Deboogle!.
02-03-2009, 06:29 PM
oybg. :)

Tytta!.
02-03-2009, 06:31 PM

partygirl
02-03-2009, 06:40 PM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-transport017.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-transport017.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-transport017.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-transport017.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-transport017.gif

tsurupettan
02-03-2009, 06:49 PM
it usually does :haha: dubai 08 :haha:

In that case... Dubai '09 -- Roddick Remix Edition. :rocker2: :rocker2: :rocker2:

kaylee
02-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Pfft this is ridiculous - I know he says he likes to keep busy and can't keep still but this is just nuts!

arodfanpe666o
02-03-2009, 07:50 PM
In my opinion it depends on how deep he will go in these tournaments. I think he won't play Memphis if he plays final in San Jose, or won't play Dubai if he gets to the last match etc.. He won't play all the events imo. (sorry for my bad English...)

Deboogle!.
02-03-2009, 08:02 PM
I mean my god I'd hope not. On the other hand, Memphis and Dubai are now worth the same points. Also, there are only so many 250 events you are allowed to count now that there are minimum requirements for 500 events. The schedule is very different this year and Andy's already played quite a lot of tennis unlike last year. This is just a ridiculous schedule even on paper. I'd love nothing more for him to win Memphis and just stay home instead of trekking to dubai to get that fat check, but he seems to be willing to do everything to get those checks this year, so, I'm sure he will go to Dubai. His schedule has always been baffling, but it's even moreso this year. He has huge opportunities to pick up points in Masters level events and Slams, but by spending all his energy on these mickey mouse tourneys, it's hard to believe he will be at his best for all the bigger events where he has so many great point opportunities. We'll see, but this is a ridiculously ambitious and pointless schedule, even if he doesn't end up playing all of them.

tennis lover
02-03-2009, 09:27 PM
:speakles: :cuckoo:

Golfnduck
02-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Hmmmm....looks like he's trying to rack up the frequent flyer miles. Well, hopefully he gets at least one title from this.

partygirl
02-03-2009, 09:34 PM
I wonder if assbackward scheduling can lead to these quirky little injuries chalked up to bad luck?:aplot::shrug:

Deboogle!.
02-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Well I think stepping the wrong way or slipping and hurting his ankle is still bad luck but it certainly can't be good for things he's had trouble with like his shoulder, back, and knee(s). But at this point in his career he should know that, and he's still planning such a ridiculous schedule. So if he gets hurt this spring, which I would not at all be surprised if he does, he'll only have himself to blame.

tangerine_dream
02-03-2009, 09:47 PM
I think Andy over-schedules in case he crashes out early from one tournament, then he's got another to fall back on. But if he goes deep then he can always withdraw from the next tournament. He's been doing this for years. When you're in demand it's better to make the TDs happy and say "Yes I'll be there" and then withdraw if he has to, than to say No outright and risk alienating them. Only a few TDs would be unreasonable (i.e., Las Vegas).

Deboogle!.
02-03-2009, 09:58 PM
But he just today added Memphis - after making the Doha final, after making the AO Semis, after playing 11 matches already, after committing to defend his title in Dubai. This can't count as advance just in case planning. And I don't see him pulling out of Dubai if he runs deep in Memphis. I see him semi-tanking in Memphis like he did last year instead. Except that last year I understand why he took the WC, this year I don't.

Winston's Human
02-04-2009, 12:50 AM
Andy may see Memphis as insurance since he has a lot of points to defend with his Duabi title.

Deboogle!.
02-04-2009, 01:57 AM
Andy's never been that concerned with points before that I'm aware of. And anyway if he played a full clay season and stopped traveling the world for these mickey mouse events and instead focused on the tourneys worth 1000 points, he wouldn't have to worry :tape:

Fee
02-04-2009, 06:51 AM
He better not pull out of Memphis late, since he took a wildcard spot from someone else. That one he has to show up for, he can pull out of Dubai, in my opinion.

Golfnduck
02-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Is anyone a Club Roddick member? He just posted a new blog on his website, but I'm not a Club Roddick member.

tsurupettan
02-04-2009, 02:22 PM
I dunno if it's a good thing to admit, lmao, but I am (it's for charity, after all :angel:). I'll go update the blog thread. :)

Deboogle!.
02-04-2009, 03:24 PM
He better not pull out of Memphis late, since he took a wildcard spot from someone else. That one he has to show up for, he can pull out of Dubai, in my opinion.I don't think he'd do that. But I also don't think he'd pull out of Dubai and miss that paycheck and miss defending his title. So instead he'll exhaust himself playing all three, which is absolutely ridiculous (none of the other top players are playing nearly this much), then he'll play DC, then he'll get hurt just in time for the two important events.

knight_ley
02-04-2009, 03:48 PM
I don't think he'd do that. But I also don't think he'd pull out of Dubai and miss that paycheck and miss defending his title. So instead he'll exhaust himself playing all three, which is absolutely ridiculous (none of the other top players are playing nearly this much), then he'll play DC, then he'll get hurt just in time for the two important events.

:o Why do I feel that you can repost this exact post in about a month, and we'll all call you Nostradamus....?

Oh, because we will.

Deboogle!.
02-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Well, I hope not :o:lol:

kaylee
02-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Mary that avatar of yours is priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh and the pic of Rafa too!

Deboogle!.
02-06-2009, 03:25 PM
SAP OPEN MEDIA CONFERENCE

February 5, 2009

Andy Roddick

THE MODERATOR: Good afternoon, Evening to some. Andy enters the 2009 SAP Open as defending champion. Last year he beat Radek Stepanek in the final. This will be Andy's sixth straight appearance, and eighth time in his career he's played in San Jose since turning pro in 2000. He's captured 26 titles, including three SAP Opens, 2004 and 2005 as well.
And Andy's also returning to Regions Morgan Keegan Championships in Memphis where he's accepted a wildcard. This marks the ninth consecutive year he'll be playing in Memphis. In 2009, he captured the title beating James Blake in the final. He was also a finalist in 2003 and 2007.
This season, Andy's off to a 9-2 start. He reached the semifinals at the Australian Open where he beat No. 3 Novak Djokovic along the way. He reached the final in Doha, where he lost to Andy Murray.
He's No. 6 in the South African Airways ATP singles rankings. And before we start, I'll turn it over to bill Rapp. Bill?

BILL RAPP: Andy, thanks a lot for joining us today.
ANDY RODDICK: Sure thing.
BILL RAPP: Just wanted to ask you a you two part question. We have media on from both San Jose and Memphis, so I'll ask you a couple of questions. First of all, when you won here in '04, '05 and '08, thought maybe you could just think back to -- I remember your match against Mardy Fish in the final. Maybe talk about that or any matches that stuck in your mind?
ANDY RODDICK: You know, I've always kind of the finals have been great. I mean, I think any time you win a tournament, it's a really good feeling. But I think the memories I have are just getting to the first couple of rounds there.
It's always been circumstances, and sometimes I haven't had great form going in. So I remembered a lot of the times the tough three setters and it's the first or second round.
You know, you call those matches that you just kind of have to get through. And I think getting through some of those through the years in San Jose have allowed me to get wins there.
BILL RAPP: In Memphis, you won in 2002 and had a great match against Blake. Maybe talk about that week Memphis.
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, gosh, it's scary to think it's getting to be nine times and ten times at tournaments now. But, I mean, I always enjoy coming back to Memphis. I've been a little unfortunate as far as getting -- hopefully, I can stay healthy there.:o:mad: I've had a little bit of a run of either getting hurt or sick or what not. So, hopefully, I just want to make it through the week healthy there.:tape:

Q. A lot has been made about you losing those 15 or so pounds during the off-season. What exactly did you use to cut the weight, and how much has that helped you down there in Australia?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I don't think it was anything revolutionary. I think just discipline as far as diet went. You know, having kind of six weeks cut out where you could be disciplined and kind of program workouts and meals for an extended period of time. That definitely helped. It was probably as strict as I've been as far as dieting. We just went to work.
I don't think it was anything crazy or something that hasn't been done before. I think it was a lot of work put in on the track and at the courts. A lot of discipline as far as diet went. And actually just for a change having a six week window where I could kind of set forth a program for every day and every week.
You know, it was just a matter of doing the work from there and it helped a lot.

Q. Why did you feel it was necessary to carve out that time now? Just to start a new year and get back on track? What led into that?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, my coach told me to.:worship:

Q. Well with, that helps.
ANDY RODDICK: So that was kind of all I needed. I was really looking forward to it. I wasn't great physically from about, probably may on last year. I felt like I was, you know, when I got hurt, I felt like I was playing catch-up, and I was probably too heavy the end of last year just because I was going straight from the training table to play, to entering tournaments, which is tough to do. But you kind of do your best. I was just looking forward to trying to get healthy again.

Q. I was going to ask basically what went into your decision to make the change in coaches late last year?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, it wasn't really a change. I didn't have a coach from the Open on. I feel like a lot gets made of changing coaches, but if you look at pretty much every player with the exception of probably Rafa and James, everyone's kind of made changes before.
Basically, after the Open I wasn't going to rush the decision. I wanted to kind of see who was available at the end of the year. You know, Larry's track record speaks for itself. He was the first person that I kind of thought of. You know, I was lucky enough that he thought it would be a good fit.

Q. What struck you about his being the right fit? What does he bring?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, the thing that I was initially impressed with was, you know, if you look at the players he's worked with, first of all, a lot of them were pretty strong personalities, and he was able to have pretty good relationships with them.
Secondly, just the various types of players that he's worked with, you know. Sometimes you see a coach kind of gravitate towards the same style of play that's right they were or they've coached before. And he's gone from, you know, he's coached lefties, righties, net-rushers, baseliners. So I kind of like that he didn't just take one style to a player, you know, all the time. He's kind of able to adjust to maybe see the game through his player's eyes a little bit more. And that was appealing to me.

Q. In this short amount of time that you've worked with him, what have you liked about the relationship and your game?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, it's good. He has a really good positive energy. He likes to -- we're similar in that we like to get to work. We're not really big on just sitting around and waiting for something to happen. We kind of like to try to make it happen. You know, so far it's just been a really good working relationship.

Q. In your position or with tennis in general, just curious, after a loss and a major in your case, the Australian Open, especially when you get into a tournament like that, is it best to get like that in the court or is it sometimes preferred to step back for a bit just looking for a mental blow?
ANDY RODDICK: You know, you I think each one's unique. I don't think you can, you know, generalize every Grand Slam loss as the same. For me coming out of Australia, I felt pretty good. You know, I had played well in Doha, and I played well in Australia.
You know, Roger had a really good night against me. But there were a lot more positives than negatives for me coming out of Melbourne. So, you know, I'm excited to get back out there.

Q. When I say a lot more positives, is it just feeling good about your game? Is there anything specific?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, there's a lot. I mean, it had been two years since I made the semis of a slam, so. I felt great physically. I was healthy. I was able to kind of just be consistent over the course of, you know, the three weeks or a month in these tournaments, and that was a great sign moving forward for the rest of the year.

Q. I asked James about a rooting interest in fellow American players and maybe how much you pay attention to other Americans, especially when in tournaments maybe when they go against foreign players, is there that -- on is there something that you may pay attention to, especially maybe with buddies when they play non-Americans?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I think whether, you know, if it's an American-American match-up we're certainly intrigued as well. But yeah, there's definitely a camaraderie among the guys. And take, for instance, Amir Delic doing well in Australia. That was great to see. And a bunch of us were in the locker room watching that match. Obviously, you pay a lot more attention to the way your friends are playing as opposed to someone you don't really know, so, yes, I think that's natural.

Q. A follow-up on who are your buddies on the tour? Who do you hang out with and watch matches with?
ANDY RODDICK: My probably a couple of my best friends are my Davis Cup teammates. James and Mardy, and the Bryan twins. You find yourself hanging out in the locker room. Normally the Americans are in all in one little area.
Being on tour is kind of like high school again. There are a bunch of cliques, and the countries normally stay -- obviously, if you speak a common language you're more likely to be friendly with that person. It's kind of like the same social circles. But obviously Bobby Reynolds, and Isner, and Delic, I think we all kind of cheer for each other and support each other.

Q. I'm not going to ask you to name names, but it will be a much more fun question. Is there anybody out there that nobody likes right now? That guy's a Jack ass, nobody wants to talk to him?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, you know, I don't know if it would be fair for me to answer that question because I haven't talked to everybody.

Q. A different line of questioning, because I don't want to get you in too much trouble. You played in a couple of matches last month at the Australian. How hot was it really to you on the court? And two, the officials are getting in a really tight spot on that conditioning rules, et cetera, on what's safe and what's not? How do you feel as a player when it's just too hot to play.
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I like it, I feel like the Australian Open maybe more than any other tournament should be about preparation and how you have to prepare physically, it's one of the only slams when you only have a month before to train. I grew up in Florida and Texas so, I'm all for the hot conditions.
But, you know, if someone ran into a serious heat problem, I mean, I could certainly see where the tournament's accountable. But I think I'm pretty much always for leaving it as an outdoor tournament.

Q. Has there ever been an occasion when you've been on the court where you or an opponent or somebody playing on the court next to you as a junior, there was an incident and you really thought maybe there are circumstances where it's not safe to play?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, absolutely. In the summer in San Antonio, Texas, you used to see kids, 13 and 14, you know, pass out on the court. But I also think it's a lot different. I think a different set of rules or standards should apply for 13-year-olds than grown men.

Q. As you mentioned a few moments ago you and James have taken opposite approaches to coaching in your career than he's worked with one guy and you preferred to have your more voices. To be sure his case is a little unusual. But I wonder if you can talk about how your approach has worked and the pros and cons versus having a consistent voice versus many.
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean I don't think it was a conscious decision or anything I set out at 18 years old to have four different voices over the course of the career. I think Brian and James grew up together. It's someone he trusts, he knows, they have a long history.
That wasn't the case when I came on the tour in 18, 19 years old. It wasn't somebody that I'd been with for ten years. You know, but again I don't think it's something that you can generalize. There have been different reasons for me, probably, each time. So it's tough to kind of give a general statement about it, I guess.

Q. Have you valued having influences from different sources over the course of your career? Can you imagine having done what James has done and only having one coach?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, that would require me finding a coach that could have put up with me for nine years also.:rolls: Yeah, I think there are pros and cons both ways. Obviously, continuity is a good thing, and there have certainly been times where I've been without someone or in transition and you're just kind of trying to make due.
But at the same time there's been a couple of times in my career where it's really jump started my playing just by having a fresh voice. So I can kind of look at it both ways. I certainly have been able to pick the brain of some of tennis's smartest people, so that's been a good thing.

Q. How long is the adjustment period generally when you really click with someone when they're new?
ANDY RODDICK: You know, it's, again, it's a case-to-case situation. You know, I've known Larry for a while. He's been on tour ever since I've been on tour. You know, we've done a hundred practices together when he's been with the other player and kind of joke around in the locker room.
So that scenario's a lot different than let's say Jimmy where we didn't know each other. I don't think we've spent ten minutes together in our lives. So that's obviously a little bit different. So, again, I think it's just a case to case thing.

Q. Looking ahead to the summer, did you decide not to play team tennis this year or is that still a possibility?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, it's a possibility. I, you know, I think a lot of it is going to depend on how much I play at the beginning of the year, and how well I do, he is, et cetera. I love team tennis. I like playing team tennis.
But I traditionally I played a pretty heavy summer schedule as well as far as tournaments, so I think once I get that schedule totally dialed in, I'll be able to make a better decision about team tennis.

Q. The Sacramento owner said that he was trying to trade for you. And what will the chances of you playing for the capitals?
ANDY RODDICK: I guess that would probably be a better question for him. You know, obviously, I know they have a pretty good tradition in team tennis. They've won a lot. I haven't played out there, I don't think since maybe '01.
You know, so I think more so than I don't think it would affect my decision to play positively or negatively if I'm being honest. I just enjoy playing team tennis. I like the format. I kind of like the kind of vibe that it promotes. You know, so I don't know if -- I'm certainly open to on wherever I play.

Q. You've been teammates with the Bryan brothers for a long time. What kind of relationship do you have with them?
ANDY RODDICK: We've been -- I've been teammates with them for a long time, but I've known them since I was 8 years old, also. So we obviously have a lot of history. We're pretty good friends. It's always good to see them.
You know, I certainly don't think that we would all have a Davis Cup title if it wasn't for them, so we're certainly grateful for that. It's just great to see what they've been able to accomplish.

Q. I asked James about this yesterday, wanted to get your take. I was wondering if you were surprised at how emotional Roger was after the loss or is that something that you can relate to?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean, I think in sports you can certainly, you know, everyone can relate to being disappointed. I think the thing about, you know, kind of having to stay on for an awards ceremony and from what I read, I think Roger touched on it. Kind of going after a match, taking a shower, stretching, that's kind of all part of your routine to kind of cool down and to kind of almost try to grab a sense of perspective and get away from everybody watching for a second.
You know, when you have to go straight into the awards ceremony, you know, it's not easy especially after losing a Grand Slam final. I've been on the other end of that with Roger a couple of times. So I don't think it's surprising or out of the ordinary.

Q. What are your memories from standing there at Wimbledon center court having gone through that? Does it seem sort of surreal looking back or do you even remember those moments?
ANDY RODDICK: Oh, no. You certainly remember them. It's just that you're fighting between, okay, you did a great job and staying alive. You're playing in a Wimbledon final which is pretty great. But you obviously are disappointed. You're torn up. You don't exactly want to take loss that's Wimbledon final, that's for sure. So it is hard. It is hard.:awww: :hug:

Q. There was some photos of you at the super bowl. I imagine you probably saw the game, too. Arguably it's America's biggest, greatest sporting event. When you are in that environment sitting there, did anything, any comparisons to tennis go through your mind athletically or compared to the Open or Wimbledon?
ANDY RODDICK: Oh, I don't know. I wasn't really in analyzation:lol: mode to be honest. But it certainly the thing about the super bowl, it's not a football game, it's an event as well. There's so much going on around it.
I feel like probably the majority of the people are as interested in the pregame concerts and the halftime show and the whole deal. I think they've done a really good job of marketing it to all demographics.

Q. Given your start to the year and your new coach and everything, what are your expectations for this year? Do you think you could possibly get a second Grand Slam here?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I hope so. You know, it's impossible to kind of predict. You know, you're -- I'm just going to go to work and play well. I think there's two ways of going. Either progressing forward or you're not. For the last two years or three years it's been not.
So I think I just want to start that progression forward. I feel like I made a pretty good start at that in Australia, and I'll look to build on it.

Q. You moved back into the top six after Australia. Can you talk about what you liked about your game in Australia?
ANDY RODDICK: A lot of my game was good. I think the biggest thing is I'm breaking in 30% of my return games so far this year through two tournaments. And that's a good number.
If I can break one out of every three returns, you know, return games, I'm going to give myself a shot in a lot of matches with my serve being my strength.
That stat kind of tells a story for a lot of things, you obviously have to return well, but you have to be moving well to play "D" on that first ball off a return. So that was encouraging.

Q. As you've come along as a professional, they've instituted the challenges. How do you feel about those? Are they good for the game? Have they been good for you?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean, it's, you know, it honestly depends on the day whether or not they're good for you. Yeah, I mean, you could probably come out about 50-50 on them, and some days good, some days bad.
But I think it's good for tennis overall. I think it creates pretty good theater. I think it holds the refs a lot more accountable and the players. You can't really complain much when it's right in front of you.
You know, I think the biggest thing is you don't really have matches that are decided on a bad call. Which is, at the end of the day as a player, is a lot easier to deal with.

Q. Do you prefer the current system over the old Cyclops system?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I think so. Well, Cyclops was only on serves, so yeah. I think if you're covering the whole court as opposed to just serves, you know, that's a bonus. Plus the Cyclops, that beep was just annoying.

tsurupettan
02-06-2009, 05:42 PM
...And Andy's also returning to Regions Morgan Keegan Championships in Memphis where he's accepted a wildcard. This marks the ninth consecutive year he'll be playing in Memphis. In 2009, he captured the title beating James Blake in the final. He was also a finalist in 2003 and 2007...

Prediction for the future? :angel: :p

Deboogle!.
02-06-2009, 09:48 PM
San Jose Draw: http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/posting/2009/424/MDS.pdf

Andy if you don't win this event.........

Tytta!.
02-06-2009, 10:02 PM
San Jose Draw: http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/posting/2009/424/MDS.pdf

Andy if you don't win this event.........

................... we won't be shocked.

Deboogle!.
02-06-2009, 10:03 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: x257

Tytta!.
02-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Well, really, will you? :p :haha:

Deboogle!.
02-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Well, really, will you? :p :haha:of course not:sobbing: but I will be mad:armed: :p

Tytta!.
02-06-2009, 10:05 PM
of course not:sobbing: but I will be mad:armed: :p

Okay, good, then you are aware of the possibility. :awww: :smooch:

Deboogle!.
02-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Okay, good, then you are aware of the possibility. :awww: :smooch:dude, you know who you're talking to, right?

Tytta!.
02-06-2009, 10:07 PM
dude, you know who you're talking to, right?

To bradgilbert wannabe? :confused:

Deboogle!.
02-06-2009, 10:07 PM
To bradgilbert wannabe? :confused::ras:

to someone who frequently expects andy to lose

Tytta!.
02-06-2009, 10:09 PM
:ras:

to someone who frequently expects andy to lose

bradgilbertmodeon? :D :D :D :D :bolt:

Kate87
02-06-2009, 10:09 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Deboogle!.
02-06-2009, 10:10 PM
bradgilbertmodeon? :D :D :D :D :bolt::ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras:

Deboogle!.
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
:ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras:

Tytta!.
Me and Brad love you too :awww:

Deboogle!.
02-06-2009, 10:11 PM
:ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras:

Kate87
02-06-2009, 10:12 PM
and i love you too, debs http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp117/Kate107/FI.gifhttp://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp117/Kate107/FI.gifhttp://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp117/Kate107/FI.gifhttp://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp117/Kate107/FI.gifhttp://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp117/Kate107/FI.gif

Tytta!.
02-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Don't be mad, we love you :awww:

Deboogle!.
02-06-2009, 10:13 PM
:crying2:

Tytta!.
02-06-2009, 10:14 PM
I just tease people I love :awww:

Kate87
:crying2:

:hug:

:secret: then we love brad, too :awww:

Deboogle!.
:crying2::awww:

Kate87
02-06-2009, 10:15 PM
:crying2::awww:

:smooch:

Tytta!.
02-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Are you going to watch the wonderful drooling-worthy match James Vinny Ice? :D

Deboogle!.
02-06-2009, 10:16 PM
:smooch::smooch:

Are you going to watch the wonderful drooling-worthy match James Vinny Ice? :Dif I had a way to watch i would of course :worship:

Tytta!.
02-06-2009, 10:20 PM
:smooch:

if I had a way to watch i would of course :worship:

Good, good. :D

Deboogle!.
02-06-2009, 10:21 PM
:secret: but I don't think I have a way to watch it:lol:

Tytta!.
02-06-2009, 10:22 PM
:secret: but I don't think I have a way to watch it:lol:

Very sad.

Deboogle!.
02-06-2009, 10:23 PM
tragical really.

Tytta!.
02-06-2009, 10:29 PM
tragical really.

Not being able to worship Vinny and my husband's friend is really, really tragic.

Deboogle!.
02-06-2009, 10:34 PM
yeah, basically.

knight_ley
02-07-2009, 12:13 AM
:lol: It took me a few moments to realize who "my husband's friend" was, and then when I remembered I lol'ed and felt like an ass. Meh.

I would like to see James punch Vinnay Ice in the face... Is that mean? :p

snaillyyy
02-07-2009, 03:38 AM
Are you going to watch the wonderful drooling-worthy match James Vinny Ice? :D

:eek:How could it possibly be missed...tragic.

:lol: It took me a few moments to realize who "my husband's friend" was, and then when I remembered I lol'ed and felt like an ass. Meh.

I would like to see James punch Vinnay Ice in the face... Is that mean? :p

Mary, don't have him stop with the face:o:devil:

knight_ley
02-07-2009, 04:27 AM
Mary, don't have him stop with the face:o:devil:
:haha:
I want to keep James' fines at a minimum... :p

Deboogle!.
02-09-2009, 02:21 AM
Andy will play Michael Ryderstedt Tuesday night in the first round... they've never played

--------------------------------------
Defending SAP Open champ Andy Roddick building on his Austrailian Open run
By Darren Sabedra
MediaNews staff
Posted: 02/08/2009 06:39:37 PM PST

SAN JOSE — Since Andy Roddick captured his third SAP Open title a year ago, he has changed coaches (again), recommitted himself to conditioning and made a surprising run to the Australian Open semifinals.

He still can't beat Roger Federer on a Grand Slam stage, but few players not named Rafael Nadal can.

If anything, Roddick, 26, has strengthened his grip as the top-ranked American as he returns to HP Pavilion this week to defend the title he won with a 6-4, 7-5 rout of Radek Stepanek.

Roddick split with coach Jimmy Connors last spring (Connors was reluctant to travel) and in December hired the renowned Larry Stefanki, who has worked with John McEnroe and helped Marcelo Rios and Yevgeny Kafelnikov reach No. 1.

Under Stefanki, Roddick dropped 15 pounds with a conditioning regimen that included a more disciplined diet and a lot of time on the track. The results helped the big-serving Roddick reach his first Grand Slam semifinal since the 2007 Australian Open, but will they ultimately lead him to a second major title?

Though Roddick is one of two players to finish in the top 10 in each of the previous seven years — Federer is the other — the mountaintop for Grand Slam championships keeps getting higher. For instance, it would have taken victories over the world's top three players — Novak Djokovic, Federer and Nadal — in successive rounds for Roddick to have won the Australian Open.

"You look at Nadal and Roger, they just sort of have this extra gear, and they can play great with a lot less energy," all-time men's Grand Slam winner Pete Sampras said.

Longtime pro and former Stanford All-American Paul Goldstein, now retired, likes the consistency and discipline that Stefanki has brought to Roddick's game. He also believes the Australian Open run shows that Roddick's best days are not behind him.

"There are a handful of people in the history of the modern game that finished top 10 in the world seven consecutive years; Andy's one of them," Goldstein said. "He's had a phenomenal run and, if not for the greatest player in the history of the game to come along at the same era that Andy was playing, you're looking at four or five Grand Slam titles instead of the one he has."

Perhaps the new voice in his corner will help.

"Larry's track record speaks for itself," said Roddick, ranked No. 6 in the world. "He was the first person I thought of. I was lucky enough that he thought it would be a good fit."

Roddick struggled through much of last year, trying to come back from a shoulder injury that forced him to withdraw from the French Open in May. He lost in the second round at Wimbledon and in the quarters at the U.S. Open.

All but forgotten when he arrived in Australia for the year's first major, Roddick reached the final of a tune-up tournament, losing to Andy Murray. He then dethroned the Australian Open's defending champion, Djokovic, in the quarterfinals when Djokovic retired because of heat-related issues. Roddick led 6-7 (3-7), 6-4, 6-2, 2-1.

Asked afterward about Roddick's game, Djokovic, ranked third in the world, said, "He's more aggressive on the return. I think his coach has an impact on that. He's been playing really well.''

Despite another one-sided loss to Federer a round later — Federer's 16th victory in 18 matches against the American — Roddick left Australia feeling optimistic.

"Roger had a really good night against me," Roddick said. "But there were a lot more positives than negatives for me coming out of Melbourne. It had been two years since I made the semis of a Slam. I felt great physically. I was healthy. I was able to be consistent."

The most encouraging sign, Roddick said, was that he broke serve in about 30 percent of his return games, which would make it daunting for almost anyone to defeat him.

"If I can break one out of every three return games, I'm going to give myself a shot in a lot of matches," Roddick said.

But can he win another Slam?

"It's impossible to predict," Roddick said. "There are two ways of going — either progressing forward or you're not. For the last two or three years, it's been not. I just want to start that progression forward. I feel like I made a pretty good start at that in Australia, and I'll look to build on it."

Fumus
02-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Whats the US TV schedule look like? TTC has the final but that's it?

Deboogle!.
02-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Looks like it's just this comcast sports network, I don't think even TTC has anything from san jose this year :o the schedule's in the tourney forum but disappointing - for the past few years TTC has shown all of Friday QF day.

tangerine_dream
02-09-2009, 06:00 PM
According to my TV Guide, MSG will broadcast the taped semis and final Feb. 14-16.

Outside of ESPN covering the slams, the U.S. TV schedule for other tennis events gets worse every year. I'm still angry how the AMS tournaments get short shrifted now.

Deboogle!.
02-09-2009, 06:02 PM
MSG is only in the NYC area, I think :sad: Time Warner is my cable provider, so I don't get CSN

kaylee
02-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Thank goodness I can get the feeds from the European sites I can still see some tennis but I agree not being to see SAP is sad. Right now I am watching Rotterdam and Brazil (see how busy I am) quite entertaining really!!!!!

snaillyyy
02-09-2009, 09:43 PM
:o I finally found the time to look at the draw, basically if he messes up here, Dubai won't even be far enough away for him to hide.

Deboogle!.
02-09-2009, 09:48 PM
:lol: pretty much...... or he'll lose in the 2nd round to Gulbis:haha:

snaillyyy
02-09-2009, 09:51 PM
:lol: Sad, that we believe it is a possibility.

Deboogle!.
02-09-2009, 10:00 PM
considering what almost happened the last - and only - time they played, we have every reason to believe it's a possibility :lol:

WTA-stars
02-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Exhibition match at the SAP Open tennis :

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/Tennis-Art/RODDICK%20Andy/VSSampras.jpg

Deboogle!.
02-10-2009, 01:23 PM
thanks :) Andy must've warmed him up or something, haas played the exhibition. But the more important thing is... Andy's wearing light blue :eek: *faints*

edit: yeah according to the tourney site andy warmed him up :yeah:

knight_ley
02-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Andy? Light Blue? What? I don't even know what to say.............. :eek:

tsurupettan
02-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Who's beside Andy (not Mike)? Is that another player, or someone else? I was at first thinking Hewitt, but then I was just all "idk idk."

Deboogle!.
02-10-2009, 03:45 PM
it's gotta be hewitt

WTA-stars
02-10-2009, 05:40 PM
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/Tennis-Art/RODDICK%20Andy/3268412067_245d5eb80c.jpg

Kate87
02-10-2009, 06:03 PM
*faints*

snaillyyy
02-10-2009, 06:53 PM
:faints: :eek: Is this really Andy's forum.......*goes to check*

Golfnduck
02-10-2009, 07:53 PM
I like the blue shirt, very nice :yeah:

tangerine_dream
02-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Are/have/will there be any livestreams available? On Justin or Channelsurfing maybe?

Deboogle!.
02-10-2009, 09:48 PM
haven't seen any in the GM thread :( there's the pay stream, but :tape:

Kate87
02-10-2009, 09:59 PM
The A-Rod of Tennis
Tennis champ Andy Roddick returns to San Jose for the SAP Open.
By Mitchell Alan Parker

Fresh from a stellar performance at the Australian Open, where he made it to the semifinals before being bested by Roger Federer, tennis powerhouse Andy Roddick returns to San Jose Feb. 9-15 to defend his title at the SAP Open. The second oldest tennis tournament in the US, this year’s
competition finds Roddick, Pete Sampras, James Blake and other top pros battling it out for $600,000 in prize money and the SAP Open title, which Roddick won last year by beating Radek Stepanek. The No. 7-ranked tennis player took time out to chat with us about what it feels like to hit a tennis ball at the world record speed of 155mph, what he likes about San Jose and his upcoming match on the hard courts at HP Pavilion.

The Wave: You won the SAP in 2004, 2005 and 2008. What memories come back to you as you prepare for San Jose again?
Andy Roddick: A lot of great memories. San Jose has been a place where I have had a lot of success, and I have really built a great relationship with the tournament and its great fan base. I am excited to come back and defend my title.

TW: Are there any spots that stand out for you in San Jose? Where you like to eat, have a drink?
AR: I enjoy going to the restaurants on Santana Row, but most of the time I am just getting ready for matches. Unfortunately, it is pretty much business for me when I get to San Jose. I haven’t had much time to explore, but from all I have seen, it is a beautiful place – somewhere I definitely will come back to after my tennis days are over.

TW: Who’s your biggest competition coming into this?
AR: I think everyone in tennis is competition. Anyone on any given day can beat anyone, and that is why you must be ready to play the second you step on to the court.

TW: You mentioned during the Australian Open that you seek to “get back into the conversation” by returning to the top of men’s tennis. What area of your game do you feel could use the improvement to get you there?
AR: I felt the first thing was being physically fit to compete with the best players at the top of their game. I feel that I have made strides in this capacity and it’s something I will continue to work on, and hopefully be a big part of returning to the top.

TW: You’ve been known to goof around on the court, make jokes to the crowd. Does this help you maintain sanity while competing?
AR: It’s just my personality – something that will always be part of me. Can’t really explain it.

TW: Overall, what does your new coach, Larry Stefanki, bring to the table for your game?
AR: Larry is a seasoned vet in coaching and has seen a lot of different things, and been with a number of different players. I think he knew that for me to compete with the best, I had to be able to stand out there and believe I can go the distance.

TW: Gotta ask: What does it feel like to serve a tennis ball at 155mph? And can you teach us?
AR: [Laughs] Another good question. It feels good to hit it that hard, and I can do my best but I can’t promise you anything…

http://thewavemag.com/pagegen.php?pagename=article&articleid=26952

tsurupettan
02-11-2009, 01:59 AM
haven't seen any in the GM thread :( there's the pay stream, but :tape:

:o I ended up paying for the stream tonight 'cause I wanna see the last three matches, so these guys better deliver for almost 10$, lmao. Better than nothing, I guess, though the sound is really tinny.

idk if it'll work with multiple people on the same order, but if you guys wanna try it, I'll give you my reconnect information.

Deboogle!.
02-11-2009, 03:28 AM
:zzz:

Roddick wins first-round match

The Associated Press
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
SAN JOSE, Calif.: Defending champion Andy Roddick got off to another solid start at the SAP Open, beating qualifier Michael Ryderstedt 6-0, 7-6 (3) Tuesday night to advance to the second round.
Roddick is attempting to become the first four-time winner of the tournament. Andre Agassi is the only other player to win the tourney three times.
Roddick, ranked No. 6 in the world, is looking for his first tourney win this year. He lost to Roger Federer in the semifinals of the Australian Open and lost to Andy Murray in the Qatar Open final.
Ryderstedt started serving better in the second set but Roddick dominated the 25-year-old Swede in the tiebreaker.
"There wasn't a whole lot of rhythm to be had in the match," Roddick said. "He pretty much made up his mind that he was going to take a rip at most shots and he started to go for a bunch of big second serves in the second set.
"I did what I had to do to win. I almost worked my way out of a feel for how he was playing. It was almost backwards. It was tough. I got on him early but I wasn't doing a whole lot. And when he stepped up his game it was tough to get in the moment again." :wazzup:

Kate87
02-11-2009, 06:55 AM
the score :haha:

Roddick, the clean A-Rod, is back in town

By Ann Killion

Mercury News Columnist
Posted: 02/10/2009 10:31:11 PM PST

A-Rod was cheered on Tuesday.

The clean A-Rod.

Andy Roddick, who shares a nickname with the tainted baseball player, played his opening-round match of the SAP Open. Afterward, he said he wasn't bothered by the doping scandal swirling around the other A-Rod, the Yankees' Alex Rodriguez.

"It makes me prouder of tennis," Roddick said. "We have the strictest testing in sports. We literally have to provide where we are hour by hour, every day. If I was to go to San Francisco for dinner for the night, I'd have to call it in."

Roddick went on to describe the uncomfortable testing process that his baseball counterpart never had to experience. A call on the home phone or a knock on the door at 6 a.m. An observer in the bathroom for a urine test. Possibly a blood test. An ID check.

"There's no question it's an inconvenience," Roddick said. "But if you're going to err, you should err on the side of being clean. I guess it's a necessary evil."

Roddick got a hero's welcome in his opening match. His adoring crowd included the usual flock of squealing teenage girls holding heart signs aloft, as well as a group of deep-voiced men who also shouted their devotion to Roddick.

Roddick won his opening match, dispatching 368th-ranked Michael Ryderstedt 6-0, 7-6 (7-3). The Swede gave Roddick trouble in the second set, but Roddick regained his serve in the tiebreaker and called it a night.

It may not be Melbourne, Paris, London or New York. But Roddick — the defending champion and three-time SAP winner — is king in this little corner of the world.

He is still America's top player. And, judging by the crowd's reaction, San Jose's sweetheart. But the sixth-ranked player in the world has been relegated to watching Grand Slam finals from the sidelines, thanks to the stranglehold Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal have on the sport.

"It's frustrating," Roddick said. "Obviously you want to get in there."

After bursting onto the scene as the teenager with the big serve, Roddick's potential seemed unlimited. But then his fate became clear: He was the best American player in an era dominated by Federer, who is one year older than Roddick.

Now, it's even worse. He's the best American player in an era dominated by Federer and Nadal, four years his junior. Roddick first played Nadal at the U.S. Open in 2004. Back then, Roddick had no idea how good Nadal would become.

"No," Roddick said. "I came off the court and said 'he's good but he's going to have to serve better.' And now he serves a lot better. He does everything a lot better. He's come a long way."

Roddick is trying to get better, too. At times in recent years, it has looked like Roddick was settling for his fate as an afterthought in the battle for No. 1. He changed coaches, at times he didn't seem to be in great shape mentally or physically, he was often bounced in the early rounds of Grand Slams.

But now, at 26, Roddick seems serious about doing the most with his talent while still in his prime. He recently hired well-regarded Larry Stefanki, a former Cal tennis player who also coached John McEnroe. Under Stefanki's guidance, Roddick shed about 15 pounds, hit the track and got into great shape.

He's also making some personal changes. He's scheduled to marry swimsuit model Brooklyn Decker this year.

The overhaul paid off last month. Roddick made it to the semifinals of the Australian Open — the furthest he has advanced in a Grand Slam in two years. But the result was another beating by Federer.

Roddick, already back in the United States, didn't watch the dramatic final between his adversaries. Instead he opted to sleep in.

Because the drug testers apparently let him.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sportsheadlines/ci_11676530

tsurupettan
02-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Roddick, already back in the United States, didn't watch the dramatic final between his adversaries. Instead he opted to sleep in.

Because the drug testers apparently let him.

:lol:

Fumus
02-11-2009, 04:41 PM
What a dumb article. Cliff Drysdale aside, no one calls Andy "A-Rod" anymore.

partygirl
02-11-2009, 11:38 PM
"It makes me prouder of tennis," Roddick said. "We have the strictest testing in sports. We literally have to provide where we are hour by hour, every day. If I was to go to San Francisco for dinner for the night, I'd have to call it in."

Ewww, fuck that.:ras:

tangerine_dream
02-12-2009, 12:09 AM
I wonder if these drug testers would actually show up during his honeymoon. :cuckoo:

Deboogle!.
02-12-2009, 12:59 AM
I wouldn't put it past them at all :tape:

partygirl
02-12-2009, 07:55 AM
Bastards.

It all seems a bit much & people still end up doping...

kaylee
02-12-2009, 01:44 PM
I suppose to keep the sport clean this is a necessary evil but isn't it being a bit over zealous as well? Hmmmm.

tsurupettan
02-13-2009, 12:56 AM
SAP Video Diary is back, the first video was posted earlier today, nothing much to really say about it. Both Larry and Doug aren't with him (Doug has the week off, getting married, of course, and Larry's off, too). Neither is Dillon. :awww: He's only with Ken, massage lady Georgia, and Graham Cross ("who is single and ready to mingle" :lol:).

Deboogle!.
02-13-2009, 04:42 AM
........:o

Deboogle!.
02-13-2009, 05:56 AM
:zzz:

tsurupettan
02-13-2009, 06:19 AM
What a lucky SOB tonight. :angel:

Tommy's gonna be a lot of trouble, though, probably. Maybe Andy can replicate his last win against him... which was in San Jose, four years ago. :lol:

kaylee
02-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Oh dear what a bad fan am I? I got so caught up in watching Rotterdam (I can actually see the tennis online) that I actually forgot Andy was playing. Oh dear the Tommy I guess be referred to here is Haas? The last time I saw them play live was in Houston and Andy lost and then the next match Haas withdrew (bah).

Stawa
02-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Oh wow four years is a long time. I hope Andy will win this time again.
Is Tommy playing well at the moment? I have no idea about his current form^^

Deboogle!.
02-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Andy, please stop losing to Haas. I know he's a bad matchup for you, but still :o
========================
Two-time defending champion Andy Roddick took an impressive 6-3, 7-6(2) victory over the virus-ridden Ernests Gulbis. The SAP Open decided not to purchase the Hawk-Eye line-calling system, which one official estimates costs between $250,000-$350,000 per week. Roddick thinks it’s worth the investment. After one questionable call in the tiebreak, the steamed American yelled out “Pay for the replay system, you cheap ass!” :haha:
BTW: Roddick hit a 150-mph serve, believed to be the fastest in tournament history. :eek:
http://www.tennisreporters.net/news_querrry_021209.html

-----------------------------------------------------

Roddick struggles to quarterfinals at SAP

8 hours ago

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — Andy Roddick struggled and James Blake made it look easy as they advanced to the quarterfinals at the SAP Open on Thursday.

Roddick had his hands full as he defeated Ernests Gulbis 6-3, 7-6 (3). Last year, Gulbis gave Roddick trouble at the U.S. Open when he took the first set before the American rallied to win the next three to take the match.

"I guess I started off pretty well," said Roddick. "But I thought he started serving really well in the second set."

Roddick had his hands full with the Latvian, who didn't seem flustered by the hard-serving defending champion. Roddick is trying to win the tournament for a record fourth time.

Roddick used serves clocked at 150, 147, and 142 mph to easily win the first set. But Gulbis almost turned the tables on Roddick in the second set, matching him point for point until the losing the tiebreaker.

Although Gulbis had six double faults, he constantly flustered Roddick with his strong serves and return game. At one point after being aced, Roddick tossed his racket to the side in disbelief.

Roddick's unforced errors gave Gulbis the opportunity he needed to challenge.

It was a little frustrating to not be able to get into a rhythm at all," said Roddick. "And then he started hitting first serves for second serves. If he's making it there isn't much I can do.:tape: A lot of the time he plays pretty high-risk so you are kind of at his mercy."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gj0VHBwAPN0VMVnLX1zQnYTu9hrwD96AI5NG0

tsurupettan
02-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Two-time defending champion Andy Roddick took an impressive 6-3, 7-6(2) victory over the virus-ridden Ernests Gulbis. The SAP Open decided not to purchase the Hawk-Eye line-calling system, which one official estimates costs between $250,000-$350,000 per week. Roddick thinks it’s worth the investment. After one questionable call in the tiebreak, the steamed American yelled out “Pay for the replay system, you cheap ass!”

:lol: I remember that point, it was Gulbis' first. I thought Andy was gonna lose his rhythm and fumble some after that and go to a third set, but he didn't. ;)

Deboogle!.
02-13-2009, 04:05 PM
I imagine that's about what Andy's appearance fee is for the tourney, he could be free to donate it to the cause :angel:

Fee
02-14-2009, 03:08 AM
I imagine that's about what Andy's appearance fee is for the tourney, he could be free to donate it to the cause :angel:

He could pay for hawkeye and still have money left over. He's verrrrry valuable to that tournament. ;)

Deboogle!.
02-14-2009, 03:43 AM
memphis draw :unsure: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=8159520&postcount=1

Deboogle!.
02-14-2009, 04:23 AM
first two are from the 2nd round match, others from tonight

tangerine_dream
02-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Has anyone noticed? Andy's made his third semifinal in a row. :D When was the last time he did that?

Looking at that picture of Andy standing next to Tommy shows just how much larger Andy is built than most other tennis players. He's so large-boned that even when he's lost weight he's still big. Nadal is more muscular but his bone structure is still smaller than Andy's. And Djokovic is dainty (like a flower ;) ) compared to most of these guys.

So Andy plays the Worm next, hope he's got his worm-squishing shoes on. :devil:

I am watching the Mofils-Nadal match and it's boring. Monfils is sick with a stomach bug so he's barely any energy but he's trudging on.

tsurupettan
02-14-2009, 07:31 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

Just got done watching SAP Video Diary no. 2. They were on their way to dinner (Graham's birthday), and Andy ended up backing up the Porsche (lent to him) into a mini-van, messed up both of them. But the dinner was nice. :yeah:

Deboogle!.
02-14-2009, 07:53 PM
:help::tape:

knight_ley
02-15-2009, 04:27 AM
http://i41.tinypic.com/140w4rl.jpg

snaillyyy
02-15-2009, 04:42 AM
Nice title change Deb :lol:;)

tsurupettan
02-15-2009, 04:45 AM
Oh, Andy.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2zxo3ye.gif

Deboogle!.
02-15-2009, 04:52 AM
:angel:

:help: :tape:

Kate87
02-15-2009, 10:46 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

------------

"That's not executing, man," Roddick said to himself, loud enough for much of HP Pavilion to hear. "The shot is there every time. That's not executing."

Ultimately, a frustrated Andy Roddick concluded Saturday night, "I'm just not executing."

"I got frustrated because I wasn't able to execute and bear down," said Roddick, who was seeking his fourth SAP Open title. "But that's the name of it: You can set yourself up, but you have to close the door."

"I played all right," Roddick said. "I got frustrated because I wasn't able to bear down and execute. He played well. As badly as I thought I executed, he did a pretty good job. He just does the basics so well. He puts first serves in. He puts the ball in the corner. He puts the ball where it's supposed to be, comes in on the right shots and kind of stays there mentally, also. It's a credit to him."

Roddick said the only thing he's "upset" about is that he got so "mad" during the match.

"I didn't just stay the course," Roddick said. "Because I have been doing that real well this year. So there's definitely something to build on next week."

tennis lover
02-15-2009, 11:40 AM
:speakles: I am not happy about this. It's bad enough that he lost but to Stepanek?!?! :o great! I take it from those quotes that he acted like a jerk during the match? or was he just mad at himself?

snaillyyy
02-15-2009, 01:07 PM
He had a couple moments but mainly he was mad at himself, looked about ready to explode. Bad, bad, bad and bad again.

At least he admitted he made a ton of mistakes.

Deboogle!.
02-15-2009, 04:30 PM
i don't think he acted like a jerk. He didn't say anything to the ump or anything like that, you could just see his frustration with his own play mount as the match went on. Yeah, at least he knows he fucked up and that it was an execution problem, hopefully he can figure out why. Based on the new ranking structure, these 250 events don't even matter that much - only two of them even can count towards his ranking, so hopefully he works out the kinks for Memphis and can win there because it's more important.

DartMarcus
02-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Andy plays defending champion Steve Darcis in R1.

tangerine_dream
02-18-2009, 01:43 AM
Oh man, Dubai is going to be soooo weird this year with Andy as defending champion. :help: Roger's out, Rafa will likely pull out. I don't know how the others will react when Ram gets the Peer business next week. Maybe Djoker and Murray will find some injury excuse to pull from their bag of tricks in order to avoid playing Dubai....and then what? The full force of the media's glare will be right on Andy's shoulders. :scared: Will Andy still play? He better go deep at Memphis, heck win the title and make sure to call for a trainer in the second set! Pull an injured "Ow my leg hurts" face, maybe limp around the court a bit, grimacing in pain, then he can excuse himself from participating in Dubai the following week.

Nuts.

kaylee
02-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Hahahha Tangerine u crack me up. Sigh it is a sad day when politics interferes with sports.

Deboogle!.
02-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Got Married!

February 18, 4:04pm GMT+5 by Doug Spreen
Got Married!

I know it has been awhile since I last posted an update, so here goes. It has been a crazy last month. Australia went well this year. Andy played really well and had some nice wins along the way. Federer just played a great match against Andy in the semi-finals. We are now in Memphis and after a couple of days of practice here we are ready to get on with the business of the tournament.:yeah:

As I mentioned it has been a crazy month. A week after I got back from Australia I had a big party for a weekend in Cincinnati that was my wedding. A lot of family, friends, and fun. My wife and I then spent a week in Mexico on our Honeymoon. No tennis, nothing to do but relax and have a good time. I did not go to San Jose with Andy. It was a little weird since it was the first time in 4 years that I was not as a tournament with Andy. :hug: But now we are here ready to go in Memphis and 1st round of Davis Cup is just a couple of weekends away. Hope everyone is well.

tangerine_dream
02-18-2009, 08:18 PM
LOL, I thought it was Andy who got married. Congrats to Doug. :aparty:

Givenchy
02-19-2009, 06:36 AM
I went to Andy's match tonight.
Here are my photos from the match and after...
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5397/picture038or7.th.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture038or7.jpg)http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6171/picture041qx7.th.jpg (http://img18.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture041qx7.jpg)http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3041/picture043oi1.th.jpg (http://img17.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture043oi1.jpg)http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/586/picture046se5.th.jpg (http://img16.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture046se5.jpg)
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/8893/picture047zp0.th.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture047zp0.jpg)http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3081/picture049tw3.th.jpg (http://img14.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture049tw3.jpg)http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9351/picture051al2.th.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture051al2.jpg)http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1048/picture052jl3.th.jpg (http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture052jl3.jpg)http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2766/picture054wc8.th.jpg (http://img27.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture054wc8.jpg)
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/1317/picture056hm9.th.jpg (http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture056hm9.jpg)http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/8936/picture057db2.th.jpg (http://img24.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture057db2.jpg)http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4046/picture058la2.th.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture058la2.jpg)http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/822/picture059ly4.th.jpg (http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture059ly4.jpg)

Givenchy
02-19-2009, 06:37 AM
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/1757/picture060wt4.th.jpg (http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture060wt4.jpg)http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2830/picture062ak9.th.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture062ak9.jpg)http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6779/picture063sv6.th.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture063sv6.jpg)http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9697/picture064tm4.th.jpg (http://img14.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture064tm4.jpg)http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7189/picture065of5.th.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture065of5.jpg)
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9369/picture066wn3.th.jpg (http://img17.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture066wn3.jpg)http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6373/picture067wy2.th.jpg (http://img14.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture067wy2.jpg)http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3094/picture068ef2.th.jpg (http://img11.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture068ef2.jpg)http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2695/picture069jq6.th.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture069jq6.jpg)http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7882/picture071kd0.th.jpg (http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture071kd0.jpg)
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/9121/picture072ge1.th.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture072ge1.jpg)

Kate87
02-19-2009, 07:24 AM
Andy :yeah: Keep it up please :)

Thanks for the pics :smooch:

tsurupettan
02-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Solid win by Andy, Robby shouldn't be too hard next. :D

And thanks for the pics, J.W., they're awesome. :dance:

kaylee
02-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Oh dear Andy forgot to do laundry again. A solid win which is good. BTW Rafa just pulled out of Dubai, the line up isn't bad but as Tangy mentioned I wonder if Andy will be next? MTF are predicting a Murray win, I set them straight!

Raina
02-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Andy has withdrawn from Dubai!!!:eek:

Deboogle!.
02-19-2009, 04:26 PM
holy shit :eek: is this good or not? I mean it is good, but it's not good for his ranking if he doesn't win memphis and post good results in IW and Miami.

tsurupettan
02-19-2009, 04:51 PM
:unsure:

Raina
02-19-2009, 04:58 PM
but what's his reason/excuse for pulling out of Dubai!? :rolleyes:
gooosh, who else left in Dubai field...:speakles:

Winston's Human
02-19-2009, 05:01 PM
With all the withdrawals, it looks like the only top-10 players in Dubai will be Murray and Djokovic.

Deboogle!.
02-19-2009, 05:13 PM
His reason according to someone in the tourney forum with playerzone access is "other" - we know he's not hurt (thank god). maybe he realized he's played a lot and going over there for one week is stupid? unfortunately his ranking is gonna take a hit unless he wins memphis and even then it still might. but the decision should be good for his season in the long-run.

tangerine_dream
02-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Andy has withdrawn from Dubai!!!:eek:
Good, he won't have to deal with jet lag traveling from there back to the US. I wonder what his official explanation is?

tsurupettan
02-19-2009, 05:24 PM
...but it's not good for his ranking if he doesn't win memphis and post good results in IW and Miami.

http://i43.tinypic.com/30a9lxg.gif

Deboogle!.
02-19-2009, 05:27 PM
I just realized, pulling out of a 500 event with no reason might have huge consequences for him. He'll get a 0-pointer, which means he can't replace it with another event, and under the new ranking system you have to count 4 500 events. I'm sure there are ways to avoid the 0-pointer, but I don't think it's easy under the new system. Shit, I wonder why he pulled out :eek:

edit: I don't understand these new rules at all, i've asked the ranking gurus in GM to help

Raina
02-19-2009, 05:28 PM
yes, thank god that he's not hurt, but he better win the Memphis title, he has no way out but win the title!!!:(

Raina
02-19-2009, 05:33 PM
I just realized, pulling out of a 500 event with no reason might have huge consequences for him. He'll get a 0-pointer, which means he can't replace it with another event, and under the new ranking system you have to count 4 500 events. I'm sure there are ways to avoid the 0-pointer, but I don't think it's easy under the new system. Shit, I wonder why he pulled out :eek:

eventhough he did pull out before the draw released?? :eek:
I still haven't studied the new system...:rolleyes:

tangerine_dream
02-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Shit, I wonder why he pulled out :eek:
Maybe he's getting married that week. ;)

tsurupettan
02-19-2009, 05:35 PM

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-scared009.gif

Deboogle!.
02-19-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm totally unsure of this new points system and the rules. I've asked them to help in GM, maybe i'm worrying prematurely :rolls:

tangy, I believe Monte Carlo week is when he's supposed to get married ;)

Raina
02-19-2009, 05:42 PM

I thought he has already confirmed the wedding on that week, no???:p

tangerine_dream
02-19-2009, 05:51 PM
I
Well, they could elope the week of Dubai and then make it official the week of Monte Carlo, no? ;) Heck, they could drag this wedding out all year long. "I can't play Rome this week, we're doing the bachelor party thing." :rolls:

Winston's Human
02-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Well, if Andy loses points, he will not be alone given that Nadal, Federer, Davydenko and Verdasco have all also withdrawn.

Deboogle!.
02-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Well, if Andy loses points, he will not be alone given that Nadal, Federer, Davydenko and Verdasco have all also withdrawn.I don't know about Verdasco, but the others all withdrew due to injury, at least Nadal and Federer did.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/players/information/rankfaq.asp#requirements

A. Top 30 players (based on '08 year-end ranking) must play a minimum of four 500 level tournaments during the calendar year, including at least one event following the US Open (Monte Carlo Masters 1000 event will count towards the minimum of four and all penalties apply):
-- A 0-pointer for each event less than four played.
-- A 0-pointer for withdrawing from any 500 tournament after the acceptance list is out.
-- A 0-pointer for not playing at least one event after the US Open.
-- A 0-pointer can be appealed by a player to the same tribunal formed to hear 1000 suspension appeals.
-- No suspensions or fines (including no withdrawal and late withdrawal fines)

tangerine_dream
02-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Not Dubai related but I thought this was funny:

http://media.www.thesantaclara.com/media/storage/paper946/news/2009/02/19/Sports/ARod-Versus.ARoid-3638207.shtml
A-Rod versus A-Roid
By Cecile Nguyen
2/19/09

I spent this past Valentine's Day with A-Rod.

No, not that A-Rod, not the one who has been dominating the sports headlines as of late for his use of performance-enhancing drugs. I was with the other one.

Tabloids in New York have already dubbed Alex Rodriguez "A-Roid," and I think it's quite fitting.

Because of all this, I move to strip Rodriguez of his nickname A-Rod and hand it over to Andy Roddick, the more deserving A-Rod.

So I spent my Valentine's Day watching this A-Rod play tennis.

Roddick was in San Jose all last week for the SAP Open, and watching him play Saturday was probably one of my better Valentine's Days to date.

A-Rod was defeated in the tournament's intense three-set semifinal match by Radek Stepanek, who went on to win both the singles and doubles title and was the first player accomplished this feat since John McEnroe did so in 1986.

Regardless of A-Rod's loss to Stepanek, it was still awesome seeing one of the top American players up close.

Watching the three-time SAP Open singles champion run up and down the court, returning volleys and hitting his signature 150-plus mph serve made for an incredible day.

But you know who else hits balls really hard? The other A-Rod, the one that used steroids.

Thank you Rodriguez.

Thank you for taking steroids and becoming another fallen baseball player.

Thank you for practically lying to my face about using performance-enhancing drugs.

Thank you for keeping steroids in the nation's limelight. The use of steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs are major problems that Major League Baseball needs to deal with now.

Thank you for ending your marriage to reportedly date Madonna. Your baseball records are as fake as her British accent.

Thank you for making tennis and the other A-Rod look that much better. He doesn't need performance-enhancing drugs to establish a record for the fastest serve. :worship:

Thank you, Rodriguez, for being the highest-paid athlete ever and thinking that might justify your use of steroids. Yeah, sure, you felt pressure to succeed because of your bloated salary.

Thank you for continuing to ruin my image of baseball and baseball players whom I used to hold in the highest esteem.

Thank you for all of that, A-Roid.

----------------------------------------

*edit*

Here's a short article by Ivan Lendl where he names the fittest men in tennis: Roger, Rafa, and Andy. :)

http://www.mensfitness.com/sports_and_recreation/athletes/126

tennis lover
02-19-2009, 11:06 PM
*is confused* :sobbing:

Deboogle!.
02-19-2009, 11:10 PM
about what?:hug:

tennis lover
02-19-2009, 11:26 PM
everything! :o :lol: why Andy has pulled out, this new ranking system thingy and how this is going to affect his ranking...I'm sure I could think of more things, I'm not the brightest person in the world!!! ;)

Deboogle!.
02-19-2009, 11:58 PM
ahh :hug: Well those are things we are all confused about so don't be ridiculous. stop putting yourself down :ras:

snaillyyy
02-20-2009, 01:16 AM
Don't worry Jo, I am confused too:o

Deboogle!.
02-20-2009, 01:27 AM
We all are :lol: but he had his easiest win ever over Bobby tonight and looked fairly good for the most part (though Bobby was woeful)

snaillyyy
02-20-2009, 01:32 AM
Glad to hear he played a decent match, and didn"t win only because Robby sucked :p;)

tennis lover
02-20-2009, 09:51 AM
ahh :hug: Well those are things we are all confused about so don't be ridiculous. stop putting yourself down :ras:
:ras: I wasn't putting myself down, I was merely stating the fact that I am not the most intelligent person in the world. :shrug: it's nothing to be ashamed of, most people are in the same situation! ;) :p
Don't worry Jo, I am confused too:o

Kate87
02-20-2009, 11:25 AM
:yeah:

''I feel I'm in a pretty good groove serving right now,'' Roddick said. ''It feels comfortable ... the percentages seem like they're there. And it certainly gives you a decent opportunity when you serve well.''

And Roddick, the 2002 RMKC champion and a two-time Memphis finalist, appears to be on a quiet, determined trek to win an elusive second title on the indoor courts at The Racquet Club. Although Thursday night's victory placed him in the quarterfinals for the eighth time in nine Memphis appearances, he's been, in his evaluation, a too-infrequent finalist.

''I actually look back and feel like I could have played better,'' Roddick said. ''There's not a lot of American tournaments that I've played this many times and have only one win to show for it. I feel like I've definitely left some matches out on the table here.''

''Even though I was down a break, I felt I was playing the better of the two of us,'' Roddick said. ''It's a big difference when you can bounce back and kind of retake control of the match. I thought that was a good sign.''

''To be honest, the year before we didn't have much of an offseason because of the Davis Cup (final),'' Roddick said. ''To have six weeks where you can actually plan workouts on a daily basis and really get out in front of it is something that is rare for us.

''I just took advantage of it. I was able to schedule track workouts and practices and not worry about anything else getting in the way. And I was pretty disciplined about not missing any and doing work on a daily basis and, all of a sudden, six weeks later you see the results.''

"I (could) sense that (Ginepri) was kind of like, 'we both know you're not this good,'" Roddick said. "I wish I could play like that every time."

Tytta!.
02-20-2009, 11:28 AM

tsurupettan
02-20-2009, 01:13 PM
"I (could) sense that (Ginepri) was kind of like, 'we both know you're not this good,'" Roddick said. "I wish I could play like that every time."

idk why, but this made me laugh. :lol: Maybe it's because I'm imagining Robby shooting Andy an incredulous face to go along with that thought.

Fumus
02-20-2009, 01:25 PM
That was a spanking.

Sam's next.

kaylee
02-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Darn it I am missing these matches cos they are playing at night and I am working bah! Hopefully I get to see his match with Sam - this should be interesting!!!

Ryan!!!!! How AREEE you??

tsurupettan
02-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Sam seems to be playing pretty well. I hope Andy comes out aggressive and keen on taking this thing -- esp. with him out of Dubai now. Staying back and waiting for the error might've worked with Robby, but I dunno about Sam. :unsure:

Hope he plays it smart tonight, but lmao, this is Andy... :o So who knows.

Deboogle!.
02-21-2009, 02:27 AM
andy can't be passive against hewitt..... but yet you know he will be :tape:

tsurupettan
02-21-2009, 02:53 AM
:o Seriously.

Andy started to get a bit more aggressive against Sam in the third set, and all I could think was "You should have been doin' that shit to begin with!!"

For some reason (LOL, why do I keep torturing myself, idk idk) I'm just REALLY hoping he'll play at least somewhat smart and tight against Hewitt. You know those shitty ass approaches def. won't fly with him. :rolleyes:

snaillyyy
02-21-2009, 02:58 AM
Maybe if we say it enough times, it will happen :sobbing:

Deboogle!.
02-21-2009, 03:00 AM
Yeah, Hewitt loves a target. Andy has to be aggressive off the ground and only come in when he's got an easy volley. It's his only chance.

Deboogle!.
02-21-2009, 03:10 AM
I'm actually speechless. Andy i wuv you :hug:
===================

Roddick advances in Memphis, pulls out of Dubai

By TERESA M. WALKER – 9 minutes ago

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Andy Roddick enjoys playing in the United Arab Emirates but won't defend his title in Dubai because he doesn't agree with the decision to deny Israeli Shahar Peer a visa to play in a women's tournament.

"There were a lot of factors why I should probably go, and obviously having played well there doesn't make it any easier," Roddick said after beating fellow American Sam Querrey 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 to reach the semifinals of the Regions Morgan Keegan Championships.

The mixing of politics and sports was a big part of Roddick's decision to pull out of Dubai where he won his second of three titles in 2008. Roddick said he has enjoyed himself when visiting the U.A.E. but was disappointed to see the government make a decision that reflects poorly on a great tournament.

"I don't think you make political statements through sports," Roddick said.

In Memphis, he will play either Lleyton Hewitt and Christophe Rochus of Belgium, who played Friday night in the other quarterfinal.

Czech Radek Stepanek, looking for his second straight ATP Tour title, rallied back in the first-set tiebreaker Friday afternoon and beat Juan Martin Del Potro of Argentina 7-6 (7), 6-4. Stepanek will meet qualifier Dudi Sela of Israel, a 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 winner over Russian Igor Kunitsyn, in the other semifinal.

Victoria Azarenka of Belarus needed two hours, 12 minutes to beat Sabine Lisicki of Germany 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (1) and advance to the championship of the Cellular South Cup. Azarenka will play Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark, a 6-1, 6-0 winner over Anne Keothavong of Britian in 54 minutes.

Roddick said staying not traveling to Dubai will probably help him prepare for Davis Cup action against Switzerland in March. In reaching his fourth straight semifinal, Roddick had to overcome an overrule in the second set.

He had the advantage in the fifth game when umpire Fergus Murphy ruled a ball out, resulting in deuce. Roddick yelled that the umpire couldn't call a ball on the far side, then Querrey won the next two points to break Roddick's serve and go up 3-1. Roddick was so disgusted he threw his racket in the direction of the umpire.

The umpire gave Roddick a warning, prompting Roddick to yell out that Murphy had to have "Go-Go Gadget eyes" to see far enough to overrule.

Not that Roddick, the top seed in this tournament, commented later because he didn't want to be fined. He is in favor of all ATP World Tour 500 series events, like Memphis, having the Hawkeye replay system.

"At the end of the day, you don't have questions about how a match was decided," he said.

Querrey had the bigger serve with 15 aces to 11 for Roddick. But Roddick was more effective, winning 78 percent of his first serves. He broke Querrey in the ninth game of the first set and won 6-4 in 30 minutes. He kept complaining to the umpire during a changeover after going down 1-4, then fought off two break points to hold serve.

Roddick broke Querrey in the second game of the third set and improved to 16-3 this year.

snaillyyy
02-21-2009, 03:18 AM
Deb, I'm still floored after reading it again, gotta love the guy! :worship::inlove:

Deboogle!.
02-21-2009, 03:21 AM
WTA fines Dubai organizers; Roddick pulls out

By RICK FREEMAN – 22 minutes ago

The WTA fined Dubai Tennis Championships organizers a record $300,000 Friday after Israeli player Shahar Peer was denied a visa by the United Arab Emirates, and Andy Roddick later said he wouldn't defend the title he won there last year.

"I really didn't agree with what went on over there. I don't know if it's the best thing to mix politics and sports, and that was probably a big part of it," Roddick said at a tournament in Memphis, Tenn.

"It's just disappointing that reflects on a tournament that probably didn't have much to do with the decision. Nevertheless, I just don't feel like there's a need for that in a sporting event. I don't think you make political statements through sports."

partygirl
02-21-2009, 03:25 AM
:rocker2:

Winston's Human
02-21-2009, 03:37 AM
Andy Roddick enjoys playing in the United Arab Emirates but won't defend his title in Dubai because he doesn't agree with the decision to deny Israeli Shahar Peer a visa to play in a women's tournament.

"There were a lot of factors why I should probably go, and obviously having played well there doesn't make it any easier," Roddick said after beating fellow American Sam Querrey 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 to reach the semifinals of the Regions Morgan Keegan Championships.

The mixing of politics and sports was a big part of Roddick's decision to pull out of Dubai where he won his second of three titles in 2008. Roddick said he has enjoyed himself when visiting the U.A.E. but was disappointed to see the government make a decision that reflects poorly on a great tournament.

"I don't think you make political statements through sports," Roddick said.

Wow! I knew I liked this guy.

Fee
02-21-2009, 03:52 AM
idk why, but this made me laugh. :lol: Maybe it's because I'm imagining Robby shooting Andy an incredulous face to go along with that thought.

yeah... just like the incredulous look on Robby's face every time a stream of water comes out of drinking fountain.

tsurupettan
02-21-2009, 04:12 AM
yeah... just like the incredulous look on Robby's face every time a stream of water comes out of drinking fountain.

:lol: Poor Robby.

The umpire gave Roddick a warning, prompting Roddick to yell out that Murphy had to have "Go-Go Gadget eyes" to see far enough to overrule.

:haha:

And as for Dubai and Andy... :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Spirit_fire
02-21-2009, 04:16 AM
Kudos to Andy for standing up in what he believes in. He earned some major respect.

DartMarcus
02-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Go Andy!!! Win this title!!!

*Ljubica*
02-21-2009, 11:38 AM
:wavey: Andy fans. OK, well most of you will know I'm not really an Andy fan :o But I just wanted to come over and say how impressed I was to read of his decision to pull out from Dubai, and the reasons that he gave. I totally respect him for standing up for what he believes in, and being brave enough to speak up. Kudos to him :worship: and I hope he wins the tournament he's playing in this week. I kind of wish Novak would pull out of Dubai too - I'm not comfortable with him playing there for lots of reasons. Anyway - this is about Andy - so just wanted to say I really do admire and respect him for this.

Tytta!.
02-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Andy :worship: A big :yeah: :worship: to you. :D

tangerine_dream
02-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Finally, a player who shows some leadership and some balls. :worship: Of course that person would be Andy. :yeah:

Disappointed with Roger and Rafa. These guys are the ones who wanted to get on the players council to make some changes but they suddenly clam up when a player needs them most. :rolleyes:

rachaelyeah
02-21-2009, 01:07 PM
generally lurk, but gotta add my two penneth.

very pleased Andy was the first (and last?) player to do this.
it was great statement to make and I don't doubt the honesty and intent.
Roddick is the player with the most to lose by not going. speaks volumes to this fan.

Kate87
02-21-2009, 01:52 PM
:yeah: and :bowdown: Andy :)

interview with him after yesterday's match:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/multimedia/default_video.asp?videoid=1033

tennis lover
02-21-2009, 05:12 PM
things like this are why Andy will always be my favourite! :hearts: :hug: :yeah:

Fee
02-21-2009, 07:45 PM
generally lurk, but gotta add my two penneth.

very pleased Andy was the first (and last?) player to do this.
it was great statement to make and I don't doubt the honesty and intent.
Roddick is the player with the most to lose by not going. speaks volumes to this fan.

stop lurking, start posting more please. :)

partygirl
02-21-2009, 10:28 PM
things like this are why Andy will always be my favourite! :hearts: :hug: :yeah:
No but he is an insensitive fratboy JERK.http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/tuzki-bunnys/tuzki-bunny-emoticon-031.gif

tsurupettan
02-21-2009, 10:30 PM
Love the thread title change. :yeah:

Fee
02-21-2009, 10:31 PM
No but he is an insensitive fratboy JERK.http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/tuzki-bunnys/tuzki-bunny-emoticon-031.gif

yes, that he is. Standing up for a WTA player that way. JERK!

tangerine_dream
02-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Excellent win for Andy today over Hewitt. :bigclap: I'm very pleased with him this weekend (both tennis and personally). :D

Stepanek's gonna get squashed in the final, you can count on it. I can't see Andy losing to this clown twice in a row. Hopefully this time he won't let the Worm's gamesmanship tactics get to him.

*edit*

Adding pictures. :D

rachaelyeah
02-21-2009, 10:37 PM
stop lurking, start posting more please. :)

hah, maybe I could hang out in here more often. definitely not tuff enough to venture out into the Big Wide Forum. but you guys are invaluable. especially the live scores.

good(ish) to see Rod tough out a win. I had no idea Rusty would still be capable of that.
I had food poisoning and was wrapped around the lavatory during last week's Worm match, so too many unpleasant memories to be positive about tomorrow.

partygirl
02-21-2009, 10:38 PM

tsurupettan
02-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Good luck to Andy against Stepanek in the final. Hope he can make Memphis his first title of the year. :yeah:

Not just hoping Stepanek doesn't get to him, but I hope Andy doesn't get to himself and in his own head too much. :hug:

Fee
02-21-2009, 10:46 PM
hah, maybe I could hang out in here more often.

I demand it! :)

definitely not tuff enough to venture out into the Big Wide Forum. but you guys are invaluable. especially the live scores.

good(ish) to see Rod tough out a win. I had no idea Rusty would still be capable of that.
I had food poisoning and was wrapped around the lavatory during last week's Worm match, so too many unpleasant memories to be positive about tomorrow.

eww, understandable. Well, Andy has to win tomorrow, you need better memories this weekend.

Winston's Human
02-21-2009, 10:49 PM
I am just stunned! I thought Andy was a goner when I left at 2-6,3-3 to pick up Mae from Chinese School. How did Andy manage to pull out that second set?

OTOH, I cannot believe that both free live streaming sites went out right when Andy made his surge in the third set.

rachaelyeah
02-21-2009, 11:00 PM
eww, understandable. Well, Andy has to win tomorrow, you need better memories this weekend.

hopefully. it might have just been a natural reaction to Andy losing to Radek (I mean, I do like Steps but even I draw the line somewhere), so would rather not go through it again for the final. I can't see it happening but I really did not expect it in San Jose.

btw - totally didn't mean to talk about vomit during a de-lurk.

starr_00
02-21-2009, 11:02 PM
It kills me that Andy doesn't play all the time like he did there in the 3rd set against Lleyton. Swing away man - it works!

Deboogle!.
02-21-2009, 11:10 PM
It kills me that Andy doesn't play all the time like he did there in the 3rd set against Lleyton. Swing away man - it works!amen.

Deboogle!.
02-22-2009, 01:37 AM
Andy Roddick advances to final in Memphis after topping Leyton Hewitt
By Teresa M. Walker, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Andy Roddick struggled through nearly two sets against Lleyton Hewitt before pulling out a 2-6, 7-6 (4), 6-4 victory in the semifinals of the Regions Morgan Keegan Championships on Saturday.

Hewitt won two more points than Roddick, trying to cap a week in which he started by upsetting No. 3 seed James Blake with a spot in the finals.

"I was lucky to get through," :mad: Roddick said. "He had me up against it for the better part of the match. I kind of just snuck out of the tiebreaker there, and I played my best tennis in the third set."

Roddick advanced to his second final this year and his fourth overall in Memphis where his lone win came in 2002. He will play Czech Radek Stepanek, who breezed past qualifier Dudi Sela of Israel 6-3, 6-1 to reach his second straight ATP World Tour final.

"I'd love to win this tournament again. It's been a long time," Roddick said. :hug: :fiery:

Victoria Azarenka of Belarus will play Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark for the Cellular South Cup championship Saturday night.

In this match between former world No. 1s, Hewitt, from Australia, is working his way back from major hip surgery last August and playing in his first ATP World Tour semifinal since August 2007. Roddick came in with a 15-3 record this year but was impressed with Hewitt's quick return.

"It's another testament to Lleyton's willpower, which I don't think has ever been questioned in the first place," Roddick said.

Hewitt broke Roddick in the first game and again in Game 5 while cruising through the first set in 31 minutes.

The second set took an hour as Hewitt fought off six break points and Roddick two in forcing the tiebreaker. Roddick took control by winning four of the first five points, shaking off an overruling that pulled Hewitt within 4-2 after the American passed on a shot right in front of him because he saw it as out.

Roddick won three of the next four to win the tiebreak and the set.

"I played pretty well, served well for the majority of the first set. I returned especially well in the first set and gave myself some opportunities in the second set and couldn't quite take the couple of break points I did have the opportunities. He came up with a couple of big shots at the right time," Hewitt said.

The men currently tied with 26 ATP titles apiece, third behind Roger Federer (57) and Rafael Nadal (32) among active players, cruised through the first six games of the third set before Roddick got a chance at break point following a nice back and forth at the net. He said he guessed right and broke at the last second to hit a crosscourt winner.

Hewitt then hit a forehand into the net as Roddick went up 4-3 and served out for match.

Roddick said he settled down in the third set.

"I started hitting my forehand a lot better. :yeah: That let me down a lot early especially in the first service game of the first set. I definitely donated a couple forehands there.:o I just kind of stuck around until I started hitting the ball better," he said.

Stepanek, trying to become the ATP Tour's first three-time winner this year, needed just 57 minutes to get into the finals for the second straight week. He is off to a career-best 16-2 start that includes wins at Brisbane and San Jose.

The Czech didn't win his 16th match until May last year.

"I'm feeling great on the court," Stepanek said. "With every match, the confidence grows and grows. I'm very happy for that. I'm healthy, I'm not having problems with my body, which is very important for me, and I can build on that."

Sela was trying to become the first qualifier to reach the final in Memphis. He won two qualifying matches to play his way into the tournament this week.

"He didn't give me any chances," the Israeli said. "I think he's playing very well, and I think he's going to win the tournament. If he's playing like that, he's going to be tough to beat.":o:tape:

Stepanek handled Sela with his accurate serve, losing only eight points. He closed out the second set in just 25 minutes with his eighth ace.

Stepanek came into this year with only two career titles. But he spent the winter working with coach Petr Korda on his conditioning. The Czech said the difference was he started earlier than he had before in his career and stayed healthy, allowing him to work throughout the off-season.

seljanin
02-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Woohoo.. that was a great match vs Hewitt! I saw it starting from the 2nd set, and it was an amazing one! :eek:

A great comeback and a fantastic win, Andy! Now beat Steps! :devil:

ellen_
02-22-2009, 08:40 AM
Since there's nothing happening at Ernests' board, I thought I could introduce myself here too. In some thread, I told about my life time crush on Andy - I like him for everything he is and does. For some reason, I lost him out of sight a bit but I'm definitely following him again now. I adore him too much. I only saw him once, at Wimbledon, and I literally jumped over benches to catch up on him :angel: Definitely the best moment of my 'tennis career', I was all thrilled and excited for at least 2 weeks after it.

So, I'm Ellen from Belgium. Here's my private collection of Andy pictures - I took more pictures of his butt than from something else, but it wasn't intentional at all :p http://picasaweb.google.be/ellenv88/Wimbledon07#5249180541254038066

zerocool_
02-22-2009, 10:21 AM
I had to lurk here just to :worship: Andy for decision about Dubai, i always liked him, and now i like him even more :) Good luck vs Stepanek, i hope you win :)

Kate87
02-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Hi Ellen! :wavey:

welcome to Andyland :D (and thanks for the pics:p)

Deboogle!.
02-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Hi Ellen, welcome, glad you introduced yourself :D and hi zerocool, you are welcome here anytime, hopefully to post, but also to lurk if you want :p

seljanin
02-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Hi Ellen, welcome, glad you introduced yourself :D and hi zerocool, you are welcome here anytime, hopefully to post, but also to lurk if you want :p

That's what I've been doing here since AO :D

Cannot wait for the match to start, really looking forward to it :bounce:

Deboogle!.
02-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Well you shouldn't lurk either :D:p

Baghdatis#1
02-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Andy into the final:woohoo:
Win it now!!!!

tennis lover
02-22-2009, 07:56 PM
seriously, all you lurkers should de-lurk, we're a friendly bunch around here! ;) and it's always nice to know Andy has fans other than the few regular posters here. :p

tangerine_dream
02-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Hello lurkers and new people, it's nice to see some new faces around here. :wavey:

*edit*

Adding pics from the earlier matches. :)

tsurupettan
02-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Good job, Andy! :D :woohoo:

Can't wait to see all the guys together again for Davis Cup.

Deboogle!.
02-22-2009, 10:49 PM
:banana:

tennis lover
02-22-2009, 10:50 PM
:inlove:

Tytta!.
02-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Never in doubt :smoke: :D

tangerine_dream
02-22-2009, 11:02 PM
For the record, Andy has made four semi-final appearances in a row now (Qatar, AO, SAP, Memphis), and he has won at least one title 9 years running, beating Federer. :p

*edit*

Adding pics from the matches. :dance:

Raina
02-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Andy I love you!!!:bounce::woohoo::hearts:

No Dubai, but we still have Memphis!:banana:

seljanin
02-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Ok, ok, I'm not a lurker here :rolls: Just didn't really have time to be around for a couple of weeks.

I think it's appropriate to use this smilie tonight: :banana:

9th year in a row with an ATP trophy :bdaycake:

The trophy ceremony was hilarious! I just didn't get it, whether it happened intentionally or not?!

Deboogle!.
02-22-2009, 11:45 PM
I don't think it was intentional, I think they just mixed it up when they gave them out :lol:

JeremyEli
02-23-2009, 12:56 AM
congratulation andy ...........

Deboogle!.
02-23-2009, 01:15 AM
=====
Andy Roddick beats Radek Stepanek to win first title of 2009 in Memphis

Teresa M. Walker, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Teresa M. Walker, The Associated Press – 45 mins ago

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Andy Roddick wants to clear up any misconceptions about why he's not going to Dubai. It has nothing to do with his health, and he proved that Sunday on the court.

Roddick won his first title of 2009 and the 27th of his career, beating Czech Radek Stepanek 7-5, 7-5 in the finals of the Regions Morgan Keegan Championships.

Only Roger Federer (57) and Rafael Nadal (32) have won more titles among active players. Roddick confirmed Friday that he wouldn't defend his title at Dubai. He said he wasn't happy about the denial of a visa to Israeli player Shahar Peer by the United Arab Emirates for the women's event this week.

But Roddick read a report that a hernia was his reason for withdrawing.

"There's no other reason. Obviously, I don't have a hernia. I probably wouldn't have played too well today. I would ask you guys to check but that might be inappropriate. I'm 100 per cent healthy," Roddick said. :haha: :yeah:

Now Roddick plans to work on his conditioning with his week off and may arrive in Birmingham, Ala., a little early for Davis Cup first-round play with Switzerland. :yeah:

"I love the tournament in Dubai. The actual event that's put on, they do a great job with this. I know a lot of this was out of their hands, but it is what it is. You have a week off as opposed to travelling there," Roddick said.

Being healthy is what Roddick worked so hard for during the off-season with new coach Larry Stefanki. He lost 15 pounds.

On Sunday, Roddick got a bit of revenge for losing to Stepanek in the semifinals in San Jose last week and improved to 5-1 all-time against the man trying to become the first Czech to win in Memphis since Ivan Lendl in 1991. He called it satisfying to win a tight match with lots of long rallies. Roddick won the key points by breaking Stepanek in the 12th game of each set.

"Obviously, he's been playing his best tennis of his career probably this year and especially the past couple weeks. I knew what it was going to take, and I was able to get there," Roddick said.

Roddick extended his streak of years with at least one title to nine, the longest current streak on tour, though Federer could match him with a victory this year.

"We have a long year ahead of us," Roddick said. "We always do, but this is the best start I've had in a long time. Possibly ever, actually, if you just look at the first two months of the year." :yeah:

The world's sixth-ranked player took home the US$300,000 winner's cheque and 500 ranking points for the ATP World Tour. He improved to 17-3 in match play this year. Of his 27 titles, 19 have come in North America. This is Roddick's second at Memphis.

The American, with his fiancee, model Brooklyn Decker, cheering him on at courtside, was coming into the final off the longest match of the tournament. He needed two hours,11 minutes to beat Lleyton Hewitt compared to the 57 minutes Stepanek used to breeze past qualifier Dudi Sela.

Stepanek came in enjoying the best start to a year in his career with two titles already to his credit and trying to win for the second straight week.

He had won nine consecutive matches but started slowly.

Roddick broke him in the second game to go up 2-0. Stepanek trailed 3-1 when he broke Roddick and then held serve to even the first set at 3-3.

"I had no doubts I wouldn't break him back," Stepanek said. "I had a lot of chances today to break him and didn't convert them. That was the biggest difference between the two of us."

They appeared headed toward a tiebreaker when Stepanek trailed 30-40 and hit a forehand long to give Roddick the first set.

Tied at 4 in the second set, Stepanek had a chance to break Roddick at 15-40. The American fought back to force deuce, served up one of his eight aces with a 209 km/h, before Stepanek hit a forehand wide after a long rally.

Stepanek kept the match entertaining, at one point using his head to knock a ball back to a ball girl and then hitting a ball over to a ball boy through his legs. After the match, Stepanek noticed he had been given the winner's trophy and presented it to Roddick.

"Since he said I was the best player throughout those two weeks, I said, 'OK, maybe I keep it maybe.' But no. He deserved it," Stepanek said. :lol:

When needing to hold serve to force a second-set tiebreaker, Stepanek won only one point off a forehand Roddick hit long up 0-40. Roddick then closed out the title with a forehand passing shot, celebrating by raising both arms in the air.

"It was huge. You go into a third, it's a coin flip at best because he probably has a little bit of momentum going," Roddick said. "I feel like when I'm playing well I do a good job of closing out. Even the two games before I broke him, I played pretty good games and at least forced him to work a little bit."

Kate87
02-23-2009, 01:40 AM
Never in doubt :smoke: :D
:smoke:

well done Andy :D :bowdown: :banana:

oh and the hernia quote :haha:

Kate87
02-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Andy is 2nd in the race now behind Rafa :spit:

Champ wins twice in Peer-less display

By Geoff Calkins (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
Monday, February 23, 2009

Andy Roddick took the crystal trophy and prepared to hold it over his head when Radek Stepanek, his vanquished opponent, noticed something odd about the trophy that he had just been given.

"It's for the singles winner," he said.

Whoopsie.

Stepanek asked for the microphone and -- laughing -- corrected the mix-up.

Which is a good thing, too. If any tennis player has ever deserved the proper trophy for his week of work in Memphis, that player is Roddick this year.

He defeated Stepanek, 7-5, 7-5, Sunday to win the 27th singles title of his career. He won his first title under his new coach, Larry Stefanki. And then, during the post-match press conference, he did something even more impressive.

He stood up for what's good and right. He emphasized that, no, he is not skipping this week's tournament in Dubai because of an injury.

He is skipping it because the United Arab Emirates denied Israel's Shahar Peer a visa for last week's women's event. He is skipping it because some things are more important than winning.

Yes, a tennis player said all that. Whoever would have thought? And whoever would have thought the player would be Roddick?

Nothing against the guy, of course. He's always been entertaining.

It's just, we know who he is. As a country, we have made up our minds about him.

Roddick is the player with the big serve and the pretty girlfriends. He is the hunky Texan who has never quite lived up to expectations.

That's the label, isn't it? And to some extent, if fits.

Roddick has won exactly one Grand Slam event and that was nearly six years ago. He's 2-16 against Roger Federer, 0-7 in Grand Slams.

So we dismiss him as a glamorous also-ran. Which is technically true and also nutty.

Imagine if Roddick played any of the other sports we revere, if he played basketball or football.

The guy is the third-best tennis player in the world. If you're the third-best basketball player in the world, you're Kevin Garnett or Dwyane Wade or Dwight Howard. If you're the third best football player in the world you're, oh, anyone besides Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. You're LaDainian Tomlinson or Ray Lewis. You're an all-timer.

In tennis, if you're third best, you're a loser.

Roddick understands this, too. He fundamentally accepts it.

No, he doesn't like being labeled a failure because he's not as good as Federer, who just happens to be the best of all time.

But he gets it. He knows how his sport works.

"It's definitely not a sob story," he said, and it most certainly isn't.

Roddick is rich beyond reason. He's engaged to swimsuit model Brooklyn Decker. He's also -- and this is refreshing -- really trying to get better.

That's why he came to Memphis with a new coach, and in better shape, and with fresh bounce and determination.

He looked good against Stepanek, who had beaten him in the semis in San Jose last week.

Roddick won the points he had to win. He reached some balls he might not have reached in previous years.

And if there was any doubt about his quickness, you should have seen him jump at the chance to clarify the Dubai story after the match was done.

Roddick had initially addressed it Friday, explaining that he had decided not to defend his title because the United Arab Emirates had denied a visa to Peer.

Roddick was the only player to take such a public stance. The organizers of the Dubai tournament tried to blunt it.

"We have heard that Roddick was on the start of a hernia," said Colm McLoughlin, managing director of the tournament sponsor, Dubai Duty Free. "I didn't hear any other report."

Hear this one, then. It comes direct from Roddick.

"I want to clarify something," he said, after Sunday's match. "Obviously, I don't have a hernia or I wouldn't have played today."

(Pause.)

"I'd ask you guys to check but it wouldn't be appropriate."

Take that, Mr. McLoughlin. And we thought Roddick's serve was devastating.

So get the man his trophy!

And make sure it's the right one.

When it comes to doing the right thing, Roddick's a runner-up to nobody.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/feb/23/champ-wins-twice-in-peer-less-display/

kaylee
02-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks Kate awwwww now we all know why we are Andy fans!

Fumus
02-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Nice win. I didn't get to see any of it but it sounds good.

tsurupettan
02-23-2009, 03:27 PM
I still don't get how the hernia thing even came about at all. I mean, seriously. :silly: Besides, if he had a hernia, one would think Andy would've used "injury" instead of "other." :rolleyes:

I guess whatever helps them sleep at night. :zzz:

Deboogle!.
02-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Assuming andy gets the 0-pointer for this year's dubai (and there's no reason he won't, since it was applied to Gonzalez this week), andy's ranking is in trouble when last year's Dubai (now counted as 600 points :o) comes off :o

tsurupettan
02-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Guess we'll just have to hope he'll be able to make some deep runs in the slams and other tournaments to pick up the slack. Hopefully his nice start to the year doesn't fizzle out prematurely. :unsure: Always hard to gauge with Andy.

Raina
02-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Assuming andy gets the 0-pointer for this year's dubai (and there's no reason he won't, since it was applied to Gonzalez this week), andy's ranking is in trouble when last year's Dubai (now counted as 600 points :o) comes off :o

0-pointer do you mean that it will count into his best 4 results of 500 tournaments and is irreplaceable? :sad: this part always confused me...:confused:

A player's withdrawal from an ATP World Tour 500 event whether on time or of after the 12 noon deadline, shall result in a zero (0) point included as one of his best of four (4) results. Further non-consecutive withdrawal s shall result in a zero (0) point allocation replacing the next best positive result for each additional withdrawal . Players with multiple consecutive withdrawals who are out of competition for 30 days or longer due to injury will not be subject to a ranking penalty as long as verified and approved medical forms are provided; or, a player shall not have the ranking penalty imposed if he completes the Promotional Activities requirement as specified under "Repeal of Withdrawal Fines and/or Penalties" or if the on-site withdrawal procedures apply.

A. Top 30 players (based on '08 year-end ranking) must play a minimum of four 500 level tournaments during the calendar year, including at least one event following the US Open (Monte Carlo Masters 1000 event will count towards the minimum of four and all penalties apply):
-- A 0-pointer for each event less than four played.
-- A 0-pointer for withdrawing from any 500 tournament after the acceptance list is out.
-- A 0-pointer for not playing at least one event after the US Open.
-- A 0-pointer can be appealed by a player to the same tribunal formed to hear 1000 suspension appeals.
-- No suspensions or fines (including no withdrawal and late withdrawal fines).

Deboogle!.
02-23-2009, 05:21 PM
0-pointer do you mean that it will count into his best 4 results of 500 tournaments and is irreplaceable? :sad: his part is always confused me...:confused:Yes, that is correct :( Unless he went to Dubai to do "Promotional Activities" he is stuck with the 0-pointer and it really could hurt his ranking if he can't replace it :sad: For example, last week, Gonzalez pulled out of Memphis... look at his rankings breakdown now. http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/players/playerprofiles/pointsbreakdown.asp?player=G415 Memphis 0-pointer added to his ranking and not replaced by his next highest......

I think the only way he can avoid is if the ATP decided to give them an exemption because of what was going on with the Dubai tournament, but I wouldn't expect that. Of course, he's not the only one who will be affected by this, but he's the only one many of us care about :lol:

tangerine_dream
02-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Can anybody please help me? :awww:

I am trying to find a photo of Andy holding the Memphis trophy from 2002. Most of the photo engines I've tried no longer archive stuff from that far back (!). I want to use this photo for my blog.

If anybody has it in their own album, or knows where to find one, please post.

Thank you. :kiss:

Raina
02-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Oh! isn't it too tough for players?:(

Hope that he can play well in GS and 1000 tournaments and DO NOT withdraw so many 1000 tournaments like last year he did, thanks!:(

So how about Roger and Rafa? They have reasons of injuries, will they still get the 0-pointer? Or if they are out of competition for less than 30 days, they still will get the 0-pointer?:confused:

A. In 2009, any player who finished in the 2008 year-end Top 30 will be required to compete in four Grand Slam tournaments and eight ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournaments. In addition, the Best 4 ATP World Tour 500 and Best 2 other events (ATP World Tour 250 and Challengers) will be counted towards a player's ranking. All direct acceptance players at the time of the entry deadline who do not play will receive a 0-pointer in their ranking.

A player who is out of competition for 30 or more days, due to a verified injury, will not receive any penalties.

Deboogle!.
02-23-2009, 06:00 PM
They'll also get 0-pointers (same for Davydenko and Verdasco) unless they go to Dubai and do Promotional Activities. I believe that Roger and Davydenko may be there. But Rafa and Verdasco should receive 0-pointers as well as Andy, unless they show up in Dubai

it may be a very hard lesson for Andy to learn that he has to plan his schedule better in advance with these 500 events. He can't just enter them all and pull out at will like he used to be able to do.

Raina
02-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Can anybody please help me? :awww:

I am trying to find a photo of Andy holding the Memphis trophy from 2002. Most of the photo engines I've tried no longer archive stuff from that far back (!). I want to use this photo for my blog.

If anybody has it in their own album, or knows where to find one, please post.

Thank you. :kiss:

here you are :)

http://bbs.tennis.com.cn/uploadFiles/2005-11/3_1827613_1.jpg

tsurupettan
02-23-2009, 06:25 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

Never fails to make me laugh...

partygirl
02-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Hey! Who is that kid with all the hairs & that hawt visor? :lick::scratch:

tangerine_dream
02-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Thank you for the picture, Raina. :hug: :D

Headlines of Andy's win. :dance:

Fee
02-24-2009, 05:06 AM
Oh my goodness, that picture brings back about 1000 memories, and that Reebok shirt especially.

tangerine_dream
02-24-2009, 05:32 PM

http://www.tennisweek.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=6627801
Opinion: Andy Roddick Deserves Praise
By Dobey
2/24/2009

Andy Roddick publicly stated that he will not go to Dubai and play in the Sheikh's event, this week's Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships.

Andy Roddick is passing up boatloads of appearance money, sponsorship money and prize money by not going to play in Dubai. He is the defending champion and is giving up rankings points as well. Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal have injuries and are not playing for that reason. Roddick, in contrast, is healthy and ready to go. To his eternal credit, Roddick said that the reason he is not going to Dubai is to protest the discrimination of the government of the United Arab Emirates and by the tournament officials. And this is an act of kindness rarely seen in professional sports.

You have to consider that Andy is one of the top ranked players on the men's tour. He makes millions in prize money, appearance money and in endorsements. Shahar Peer, in contrast, is ranked 48 on the women's tour, probably has only a few endorsements and lacks the fame that Andy has. And Andy Roddick had the guts to tell the Sheikh to take his oil money and shove it.

How many other players would sacrifice so much money and ratings points to protest an injustice against a low ranked player on the women's tour? My guess is not many.

Tennis Week periodically posts opinions from posters on the Tennis Week.com message board. Dobey is a long-time Tennis Week.com message board contributor and posted this in response to Roddick's decision to boycott Dubai this week.

------------

http://www.tennisnews.com/exclusive.php?pID=27452
Roddick has improved his backhand
By Charlie Bricker
February 23, 2009

It's about time to give Andy Roddick the backhanded compliment he deserves.

His backhand has taken a lot of guff over the years, as the one weakness in his otherwise big-game repertoire. But on Sunday afternoon, in a 7-5, 7-5 win over Radek Stepanek, who is one of the early hot players on the ATP World Tour, Roddick's backhand was a key.

Yes, the serve was great, as it almost always is. He was broken only once, facing four break points, and his forehand was powerful and nearly free of unforced errors. You expect service and forehand excellence from Roddick. But when he starts playing backhands as he did in this match, his game moves up a full notch.

It was a deep backhand slice to Stepanek's forehand corner that induced the error that won the opening set. And it was yet another aggressive backhand return of service that set up the final point of the match. It wasn't just that Roddick was hitting one type of backhand effectively. He hit flat passing shots down the line off his backhand side. He showed much better touch on his backhand volleys, and his volleying overall. He surprised Stepanek with a couple of effective backhand lobs.

But what bedeviled Stepanek most were those floating backhand slices to the forehand corner. As well as Stepanek hit the ball most of this final, he seemed to lose all timing on Roddick's deep slice. After a very solid two sets to come from behind to beat Lleyton Hewitt in the semis, Roddick was even more effective in this match.

The indoor court at Memphis is not easy to hit through, which meant Roddick needed to show more patience and definitely needed to step up on the backhand side. He did. Good win and, with a week and a half off, he'll play his next tennis in Birmingham, Al., against a Swiss Davis Cup team that isn't bringing Roger Federer.

There was one particularly amusing "whoops" moment in this final. On court after Roddick had won, one of the tournament officials handing out the trophies gave the winner's crystal vase to Stepanek and the runner-up bowl to Roddick. Stepanek took the microphone after Roddick thanked the crowd, the sponsors and everyone else and made the switch, delighting in being able for the first time in his career to be able to hand a winner's trophy to a winner.

------------

http://mvn.com/tennisdiary/2009/02/what-does-2009-have-in-store-for-andy-roddick.html
What does 2009 have in store for Andy Roddick?
by Thomas Rooney

It goes without saying that Andy Roddick has made an impressive start to 2009. In fact, it is probably his best start to a calendar year for quite some time. This, of course, has people speculating about what the American can achieve in the remaining 10 months of the year. So, let's speculate ourselves.....
First things first, it is worth noting that Roddick secured his 27th career title over the weekend at the Memphis Championship. It was his the second time he had won the tournament, having achieved the same feat back in 2007.

The 26-year-old defeated Radek Stepanek in straight sets to live up to his title of top seed for the event. Roddick seized the initiative early on by breaking twice in the first set.

Stepanek did then have the chance to take the match into a third and final set, but the Czech wasted three break chances during the second. Roddick then made the most of the situation by breaking Stepanek's final service game to win the final.

It was a performance that suggested Roddick is very focused about his game at the moment. The fact that he continuously responded to being a break point down in the second set showed resliiance and an almost immaculate attitude. It was encouraging to say the least.

Speaking about his victory, Roddick has said that he was 'very satisfied' with what he described as a 'good level of tennis'.

It was also Roddick's first ATP World Tour title win under his new coach Larry Stefanki and this is very significant according to the players. He says that it is 'nice to get it out of the way' before everyone starts talking about it.

As for what the rest of the year has in store for the American, well he is keeping his feet well and truly on the ground. He admits that he is 'feeling good' at the moment and that it was 'nice to win again'. However, he realises that there is a 'lot of work ahead'.

This is true. A good start to the year doesn't always mean a successful year overall. However, there are a number of signs that Roddick may well have his most rewarding 12 months for a couple of years.

The former World No.1 is probably in the best physical shape of his career, he is enjoying working under his new coach, he is closing matches out more often and he appears to be more determined than ever. He knows that at 26-years-old, now is the time to really kick on.

In terms of his aims for the rest of the year, well there is no reason why he can't break into the top five of the rankings. He sits and No.6 right now, so to do this he needs to move ahead of Nikolay Davydenko who is 445 points ahead of Roddick.

This is very achievable; he just needs to make sure that he consistently makes the latter stages of tournaments. So far this year his form has read final, semi-final, semi-final, winner. If this continues, then there is no doubt he can overtake his Russian rival.

As for whether he is capable of winning a Grand Slam this year, well he has an outside chance. He made the semi-finals of the Australian Open earlier this year and if he were to go one step further and make the final, who knows what could happen.

Final thought on Roddick is one that many people seem to forget. He is, without doubt, one of the most experienced and successful male tennis players around. Only Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal have won more titles among active men's players.

Hopefully Roddick can show why this is the case by building on the fantastic start he has made to 2009. It isn't all about the top four players and Roddick is key to proving this. Good luck for the rest of the year Andy!

------------

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2009/02/monday-net-po-1.html
McGrogan's Heroes
ATP - Andy Roddick

Age clearly means nothing to Radek Stepanek. He's dating Nicole Vaidisova, 11 years his junior, and is playing the best tennis of his career at age 30, when most players are on the decline.

While Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Tommy Robredo were winning their second titles of the 2009 season Sunday, Stepanek was going for his third tournament win of the year in Memphis. (The Czech previously won Brisbane and San Jose.) The last player "The Worm" needed to burrow past in order to achieve this triumvirate was Andy Roddick, whom Stepanek defeated just a week earlier in San Jose. As it turned out, Stepanek will remain level with Tsonga and Robredo at two titles apiece - Roddick won the final, 7-5, 7-5, earning his first winner's trophy of 2009.

The title is overdue for Roddick, who has played some spectacular tennis so far this year. Besides his run to the Australian Open semifinals, Roddick reached the semis of San Jose, and the final of Doha, back in January. His record for the season is now 17-3, augmented with wins in Memphis over Steve Darcis, Robby Ginepri, Sam Querrey, Lleyton Hewitt, and finally Stepanek. That's a good week's work, and Roddick should certainly be considered a serious threat at Indian Wells and Miami, especially with Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer suffering from injuries.

I also want to commend Roddick for his decision to withdraw from this week's Dubai tournament. In case you missed it, Roddick was disappointed with how the UAE handled Shahar Peer's request to compete in the WTA event, and subsequently pulled out of this week's ATP event. This was not a factor in him receiving the Hero award - but in an era where words, and not actions, are given far too much credence in sports, Roddick's decision was refreshing, regardless of where you stand on the issue.

------------

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/thewrap/2009/02/ce-10-nodody-kn.html
Nobody Knows Anything
by Steve Tignor

Andy Roddick
His withdrawal from Dubai hardly had the ring of righteous anger to it—“I don’t know if it’s the best thing to mix politics and sports, that was probably a big part of it. It’s just disappointing because that reflects on a tournament that didn’t have much to do with the decision. Nevertheless, I don’t feel there’s need for that in a sporting event.” But Roddick did say something and do something in light of the Shahar Peer situation.

He also won his 27th tournament this weekend, in Memphis. Roddick has taken more criticism than virtually any perennial Top 10 pro I can remember, and even his fans concede he isn’t the prettiest player in the world to watch. But while he hasn’t continued the tradition of No. 1 U.S. male players, his doggedness over the years has helped him build a quietly impressive résumé. By the time he retires, it will likely stack up well against the careers of many more talented and celebrated men.

As for Roddick’s game right now, I should have more on that after I watch the Memphis final on tape tonight.

------------

Genuine Gesture
Andy Roddick sent a loud message by pulling out of the Dubai Championships in wake of Shahar Peer's exclusion. That's more than you can say about her WTA cohorts.

Listen to audio commentary. (http://sports.espn.go.com/stations/player?id=3928517)

------------

Adding more photos from the Memphis final vs Stepanek. :dance:

tsurupettan
02-24-2009, 06:52 PM

partygirl
02-24-2009, 07:39 PM
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/thewrap/2009/02/ce-10-nodody-kn.html
Nobody Knows Anything
by Steve Tignor

:haha: That is my favorite Title.

Deboogle!.
02-25-2009, 12:53 AM
:worship:
http://twitter.com/rainnwilson

partygirl
02-25-2009, 12:59 AM
OMG he looks perfect in Jim's seat with that hair!:spit::haha:
He should soooo fill in when Jim & Pam go on their honeymoon.

I liked this quote over there
LA has the most beautiful sunsets. But then again, so does hell.:aplot:

Deboogle!.
02-25-2009, 01:02 AM
You know how it's kind of weird when things collide? it's just strange to see Andy and Office stuff together, since so many of us love them both:haha:

Yeah, Rainn is awesome :worship:

Fee
02-25-2009, 03:39 AM
Yay, the Office. Would be nice if he's actually on camera, but the fact that he's visiting is cool too.

tsurupettan
02-25-2009, 10:51 AM
:rolls: I love it!

:bowdown: Epic.

tennis lover
02-25-2009, 02:14 PM
:lol: I bet Andy loved that! :D

:secret: he'll be lucky if he's got any hair left on his wedding photos as this rate! :o

Deboogle!.
02-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Mindy Kaling talked about him in the OfficeTally chat last night, she joked that he and Rainn are working on Rainn's new religious thing together :rolls:

Raina
02-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Did Andy shave his hair again??:(

Deboogle!.
02-25-2009, 04:09 PM
he did something really unattractive to it:o doesn't he care how it looks at his wedding? :o

Raina
02-25-2009, 04:18 PM
why does he has to do that? :(

he still had hair 2 weeks ago! :sad:

http://bbs.tennis.com.cn/uploadFiles/2009-02/18_9337159_3.jpg

Deboogle!.
02-25-2009, 04:20 PM
if we knew why andy did the things he did, we would all be very rich people :sobbing: :lol:

tennis lover
02-25-2009, 04:21 PM
it is truly awful! :o poor Brooklyn. :sobbing: although maybe she's so happy he actually has some left for now she doesn't care what it looks like?! :tape:

in that photo from San Jose it looks sooooooo much better. :)

Raina
02-25-2009, 04:32 PM
if we knew why andy did the things he did, we would all be very rich people :sobbing: :lol:

That's true! :sobbing:

Thanks for suprising us twice + 1!!!!!! :(

Deboogle!.
02-25-2009, 04:39 PM
That's true! :sobbing:

Thanks for suprising us twice + 1!!!!!! :(:lol: yeah. And anyway, what was he doing in (that creepy in the middle of nowhere part of) LA?

From this week's Mailbag:

For obvious reasons, L'Affaire Shahar Peer and the aftermath dominated the questions last week. I'm thinking the most efficient way to do this is take a few of the recurrent themes in order:
1) Andy Roddick: He doesn't want any praise for his stand? Too bad. For all the hand-wringing and "on the one hand; on the other hand" equivocating, Roddick stood tallest. He's the defending champ in Dubai and yet he pulls out, citing the visa controversy. Political expediency would dictate that he blame a groin injury or travel fatigue or the logistics and move on. Instead, he makes a quick, forceful statement -- nothing grandstanding or attention-seeking -- and goes on his way.

tangerine_dream
02-25-2009, 05:10 PM
More. :cool:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=194073&stc=1&d=1235585357
Kudos to Roddick
Talking Points: Tony Kornheiser praises Andy Roddick for taking a stand against the UAE's denial of a visa to Israeli female player Shahar Peer. Click for video. (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/22825103/vp/29373450#29373450)

------------------------------------

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2009-02-24/896.php
And the Lone Voice Against Dubai’s Tennis Travesty is…Andy Roddick?
February 24, 2009

This week the men are in Dubai, and only American Andy Roddick withdrew from the event while condemning the Dubai power play.

“I thought that was a pretty gutsy move on his part to do that,” U.S. Davis Cup Captain Patrick McEnroe told reporters today in a conference call, with the Davis Cup competition looming next week. “It’s been interesting over the years to see Andy Roddick, who I mentioned [played] his first tie as a teenager. He’s really grown up and become a man. I think he’s principled, and I think we’ve seen that not only in his decision to not go to Dubai, but in what a professional he is and his commitment to Davis Cup and getting the most out of his ability and what he has…”

Roddick is not above the on-court f-bomb-laden explosion, dressing down chair umpires and reporters in front of the cameras, or engaging in antics that have led to on-court or locker room confrontations with other players. But aside from his “man’s man” persona, or perhaps because of it, he doesn’t flinch in following up on his ideals, whether it’s supporting Davis Cup or, in this case, supporting another player — on another tour.

When Dubai Tournament Director Colm McLoughlin attempted to brush Roddick’s withdrawal off as an injury, Roddick got right to the point.

“I really didn’t agree with what went on over there,” Roddick said. “I don’t know if it’s the best thing to mix politics and sports, and that was probably a big part of [his withdrawl].”

Captain Pat Mac says it has been a pleasure seeing his charge grow since his Davis Cup debut in 2001 — and since then put himself on the line in situations where other players might say ‘Travel to Spain and play Rafael Nadal on clay in a bullring packed with 50,000 people? — Uh, no thanks.’

“He’s really matured a lot,” McEnroe said. “I’ve been lucky enough to see him play every Davis Cup match he’s played. I’ve seen him go out there when really everything was stacked against him, and he goes out there and gives it 110%. To be honest, to beat [Rafael] Nadal on clay in Spain is not going to be easy. He’s sort of willing to go out there and take one for the team, as you might say. So I’m not surprised, but I’m impressed with the stand he’s taken.”

Roddick was the defending champion this week in Dubai.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1235410707492&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull
Sinai Says: Roddick steps up for Pe'er

I hate to agree with Ehud Olmert, I really do, but the Prime Minister couldn't have been more right when he praised Andy Roddick for choosing to boycott the Dubai Tennis Championships in protest of Shahar Pe'er's visa denial.

Andy Roddick returns a shot to Lleyton Hewitt at the Regions Morgan Keegan Championships tennis tournament in Memphis, Tenn. on Saturday.
Photo: AP

"It warmed my heart to see that the defending Dubai champion, Andy Roddick, decided to boycott the tournament," Olmert said at the start of Sunday's cabinet meeting, keeping up with his tradition of addressing happenings from the world of sports at government gatherings. [. . .]

No one would have blamed Roddick had he taken a leaf out of Venus Williams' book, who spoke and spoke about how wrong it was to reject Pe'er's visa application, but when confronted with the calls to boycott the tournament, started talking about "the bigger picture" and how it's important not to let down the sponsors.

There's no doubt that had a black player been barred from taking part at a tournament based on race, Williams, who was the eventual winner in Dubai last week, would have rightfully boycotted the event, sponsors or no sponsors.

Unlike Roddick, Williams, who sits on the WTA Tour Players' Council and is perhaps more socially conscience than any other player on Tour, failed to grasp that a stand must be taken against injustice and discrimination.

Roddick has set an example to us all by sacrificing personal gain for a higher value and he deserves all the praise in the world for showing once more that sports maintain their status as a platform for the promotion of positive social change.

Being a global sporting icon doesn't just give you the right to a life of riches, but also comes with the responsibility of acting as a role model to the young and old alike.

Most athletes conveniently cast this notion aside, but thankfully there are still true sporting heroes likes Roddick around, who understand their role in the world and use their celebrity not just for their own benefit, but for the greater good.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/25/SP051640IL.DTL
Roddick Protest Worthy of Praise
by Gwen Knapp
Wednesday, February 25, 2009

[. . .] The tournament, it should be noted, has not banned Americans for waging war on Iraq the last six years, so this can't be all about concerns over extreme aggression against Arab populations. The United Arab Emirates does not recognize Israel, and players from that country need a special visa to enter for the Dubai tournament.

The WTA says it was caught by surprise, learning that Peer's visa had been denied at the last minute. It has promised to compensate Peer for her lost opportunity, fined tournament organizers $300,000 and said it has received assurances that such discrimination will not recur. Of course, those assurances were in place before this incident, as a prerequisite for hosting a tournament.

But when the men's tour threatened to pull out this week and the UAE granted a visa for Israeli doubles specialist Andy Ram, it became more reasonable to assume that the tournament will not let this happen again.

When Venus Williams won the women's tournament, she commented on Peer's absence in her victory speech. A boycott would have been preferable, but I'm more interested in commending Roddick than knocking Williams.

He said he doesn't like politics in sports, a common refrain from athletes. In this case, though, politics landed on his doorstep, at the threshold of his profession, and he realized he couldn't just step over them on his way to one of the most lavish events in the world. So he slammed the door.