Who Is Better Gael Monfils or Fernando Verdasco? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who Is Better Gael Monfils or Fernando Verdasco?

HattonWBA
02-03-2009, 02:52 PM
I was just wondering who you guys think is the better player out of these two. They have both gotten to the Semi Final of a Grand Slam, both have very even and similar ranking history and are both getting better and better. They have aslo both had big wins at the start of this season, Monfils over Nadal and Verdasco over Murray.

Monfils - Athletic, Good defense, good change of pace, Solid forehand and Unbelivable court coverage

Verdasco - Huge Forehand, backhand slice, solid volleys, and improved belief and mental toughness.

Head to Head is 1-0 Monfils
7-5 6-4 Monte Carlo 2008

Swagger&Poise
02-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Right now, Verdasco.

In time, Monfils should become the better player. He just has so much in his arsenal. Having said this, I don't like the tactics he was using against Simon, however the wrist injury he sustained in that match may have caused him to play that way. If Monfils can get his game plan right, I believe he will be a top 5 player challenging deep in grand slam tournaments for the title.

I really wish Verdasco all the best though. His semi-final definitely earnt my respect, and I was crushed for him when he served his last double fault in that game.

duong
02-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Right now, Verdasco.

In time, Monfils should become the better player. He just has so much in his arsenal.

I think exactly the same ... and Monfils is 3 years younger.

JolánGagó
02-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Monfils must first get a brain before any talk of this kind.

GlennMirnyi
02-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Monfils must first get a brain before any talk of this kind.

DF on a match point in a GS SF doesn't give us any evidence Verdasco possesses what Monfils doesn't, according to you. :)

jonathancrane
02-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Verdasco > Monfils

GlennMirnyi
02-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Solid volleys? :lol:

Monfils volleys better than Verdasco, by the way.

HattonWBA
02-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Solid volleys? :lol:

Monfils volleys better than Verdasco, by the way.

He did last year, but on evidence of this year and what i have seen from them both it is pretty even, some of verdascos volleys in sydney and australian open were outrageous and a much improved area of his game, monfils has solid volleys also and they were used well in doha, but its pretty even in my opinion.

GlennMirnyi
02-03-2009, 03:50 PM
It's not. Verdasco can't volley. Have you watched him playing before this year's Aussie tournaments at all? At the DC final, for instance, they were pathetic.

Monfils ain't a great volleyer, far from it, but he volleys better than Verdasco, without a doubt.

Svetlana.
02-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I like both, but colorful Monfils personality a little more.

HattonWBA
02-03-2009, 03:58 PM
It's not. Verdasco can't volley. Have you watched him playing before this year's Aussie tournaments at all? At the DC final, for instance, they were pathetic.

Monfils ain't a great volleyer, far from it, but he volleys better than Verdasco, without a doubt.

You are proberbly right, either way i wanted to put that as a strength of verdasco's because i was struggling to list as many as i had for monfils, in my opinion he does not have as many strengths as Monfils, i believe monfils is a better player, i proberbly should have put verdascos crosscourt backhand instead as another strength of his, either way thanks for your comment and evaluation of it, seem like you know what your on about

GlennMirnyi
02-03-2009, 04:13 PM
You should put that Monfils has no idea of court placement himself, especially when playing outside of clay. Standing 5 meters behind the baseline won't cut the deal.

Forehander
02-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Monfils = a player with no future hope. And I'm not being biased though I hate the arrogant brainless guy. You may ask, why? Let me tell you then. Just look at his tennis strokes. They are possibly the most self-suicidal tennis strokes I've ever seen in my life. Lleyton Hewitt's strokes were horrible enough to stuff up his back and hips, but this piece of arrogant **** brings it to a whole new level. I do not know who the fk taught him these strokes but whoever did must be smoking something good. Sure, it brought him to the spotlight during the junior years due to his athleticism and power. But his swinging technique on the forehand will also be the main thing that brings him down.

180-190km/hr forehands? Impressive, but not without consequences. He virtually dissipates all the power of his follow throughs with his wrist after he swings that forehand. Wrist injury is inevitable with the way he plays and is probably the worst you can ever get with a professional racquet sport player. If he doesn't do something this there's only one word for him: fked.

Comparing him with Verdasco? That's just not on. Not even comparing him with Baghdatis is viable. Compare him with Olivier Rochus would be a bit more suitable. But soon there'll be no one to compare with when he's screwed up his wrist.

Certinfy
02-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Verdasco atm!

meihaditalab
02-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Is this an attempt at making a funny joke?

simplet
02-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Is this an attempt at making a funny joke?

Right. I mean, Verdasco manages one decent tournament, and suddenly you can compare him to a player like Monfils, who's three years younger even?

HattonWBA
02-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Right. I mean, Verdasco manages one decent tournament, and suddenly you can compare him to a player like Monfils, who's three years younger even?

I did not base it on their age, i based it on their career performances to date such as grand slam best, i think they are both exceptional players, and i agree with you that monfils is better in my opinion, i was just wondering what people would say and according to the poll they think the opoposite, but i did not compare them in regards to age, purely based on game.

simplet
02-03-2009, 06:00 PM
I did not base it on their age, i based it on their career performances to date such as grand slam best, i think they are both exceptional players, and i agree with you that monfils is better in my opinion, i was just wondering what people would say and according to the poll they think the opoposite, but i did not compare them in regards to age, purely based on game.

Yeah don't take me seriously; personnally I believe Monfils will become the better player (and already is to some extent), but I just wanted to respond to the annoying "How dare you even compare your player to my player" type.

born_on_clay
02-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Nando of course

Pfloyd
02-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Sure Monfils has to develop more, but that does not mean he will.

Verdasco on the other hand always had lots and lots of talent, all he needed was a decent head on his shoulders.

The Davis Cup has given this to Verdasco, hope it stays.

If it does, I don't think Monfils will reach Verdasco's level, except maybe on the area of speed and volleying.

vincayou
02-03-2009, 08:57 PM
I don't know the answer, but Verdasco will surely win the poll thanks to a phenomenon called "bandwagonning"

star_of_dusk
02-03-2009, 09:08 PM
I believe this answers the question:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2233/verdascoaussie098pm3.jpg

jonathancrane
02-03-2009, 09:13 PM
:haha:

bluefork
02-03-2009, 09:38 PM
I don't know the answer, but Verdasco will surely win the poll thanks to a phenomenon called "bandwagonning"

That's for sure. Ask the question when (or if) Monfils gets to another major SF and no doubt the results will be different.

Monfils has incredible athletic ability, but he lacks discipline, mental fortitude, and he's constantly injured. If he ever were able to overcome his brain problems then I could see him winning at least one major. But as it is now, the best I expect from him is the occasional deep run or a few good upsets of higher ranked players.

Verdasco...well who knows at this point? He had one great tournament and if he could continue to play as well as he did there, he'd be a mainstay in the top 10. But everyone thought the same about Gonzalez two years ago and look what he's become. I think the next few tournaments he plays will tell us a lot about whether he's here to stay or just another fluke.

Erica86
02-03-2009, 09:54 PM
:D:D One thing is for sure: Verdasco is better looking. No question about this.

ichigo
02-04-2009, 12:41 AM
verdasco of course