Article on Aussie Open being moved [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Article on Aussie Open being moved

MRUK
02-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Little bit below the interview bout it...think point about prep time is fair enuf...

http://alexkayblog.dailymail.co.uk/

yellowboy906
02-03-2009, 01:26 PM
it didn't say if they will consider moving back the AO. so will they consider it? i'm all for moving the tournament back. it's not enough preparation for players and the weather might cool down a bit so we won't see player suffer in the heat. if they want people to see great tennis and they want more people to come to the tournament, then they should move AO to feb or mar.

Tankman
02-03-2009, 04:58 PM
It's not being moved. There have been a hundred million articles citing support from the whole range of top guns on this, saying they want it moved. I know both Roddick and Hewitt have said they would ardently oppose such a move though.

The point about prep time is also IMHO absurd, with the exception of injured players, Davis Cup and TMC players. And hey take a look at who did well this year.

Verdasco - epic DC match... less than 2 mths to prepare and went to see Gil Reyes in Nevada
Roddick - played TMC.... massive fitness program and lost 7kg

The idea that they don't have enough time to prepare is preposterous (excuse the pun :p). If these guys can do it, so can the rest of the tour. Besides the cited article flamed this idea anyway.

And no offence yellowboy906, but it doesn't work that way. Australian school holidays are in January. Most working people would also take leave in the summer holidays, not in February and definitely not in March. If you want a sure-fire way to kill the AO and get it moved to Dubai or Shanghai, then by all means move it to February/March. Because whatever crowds you're getting now, you better shave at least 20% off, if not more.

zeleni
02-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Delightful Miss Ivanovic :drool: also thinks it is bad idea. http://www.anaivanovic.com/?path=diary&detailpage=234

I agree with her. My only objection is about roof. Organizers should use it with more consecutiveness - criteria for putting it should be clear and transparent.

Tankman
02-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Well that's yet another reason to like Ana then :cool:

I agree about the roof too... even Craig Tiley admitted that their roof policy was still just them fumbling around without much idea of what to do :o

(ok maybe his words were more like it's a 'work in progress' :lol: but you know what he really means ;))