Compare Tennis Players To Football Teams [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Compare Tennis Players To Football Teams

groundstroke
02-03-2009, 08:27 AM
Nadal - Liverpool (mentally very, very tough, you can never rule them out of it)

Federer - Man Utd (beautiful to watch, won pretty much everything, all areas of game are complete, defence, attack.. etc)

Murray - Aston Villa (both very British and playing above their level (murray challenging the top 3 for a Slam and Villa going for the 4th spot))

Gasquet - Arsenal (amazing to watch, a big threat when they are on form)

Roddick - Chelsea (quiet, efficient, not too attractive to watch)

Just a little idea I thought of, now what about your thoughts? There are players like Djokovic, Verdasco, Karlovic, etc, to be compared to teams like Inter Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid, etc... Who do you think plays like a certain football team?

:)

gjr
02-03-2009, 08:36 AM
I'd say Sampras was the Liverpool of the 70/80's. Won almost everything (quite poor in the FA cup during the European cup years like Sampras was at the FO). Very efficient. Got the job done and then moved on to the next year/season.

HattonWBA
02-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Murray playing above his level, not in my opinion, based on his game and mental toughness i belive four is a justified ranking, ah well....
I would proberbly say somebody like Verdasco at the moment is like Wigan, playing superbly well when not really massive expectation on them for example - Verdasco beating Murray and Tsonga and Wigan holding Liverpool and Villa

mashamaniac
02-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Do u seriosly believe man utd is beautiful to watch!!?? even arsenal plays better than them ...

HattonWBA
02-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Karlovic is like Stoke City, good team and at the higher end of the game, however fucking shit and boring to watch

tennishero
02-03-2009, 10:57 AM
roddick - porto, won one major tournament mostly by luck, had a good manager/serve.
hewitt - chelsea, a champion before, currently not at it's best.
nalbandian - inter milan, has the potential to be the best.

groundstroke
02-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Do u seriosly believe man utd is beautiful to watch!!?? even arsenal plays better than them ...
compared to Chelsea and Liverpool? yeah, they do play some attractive football..

mind you, i am an arsenal fan, recently arsenal have been poor (despite being 10 games unbeaten), but when arsenal hit top form they are the most entertaining to watch, and this is exactly like gasquet, but when you have to win, when you need to secure a win with variety, maybe playing ugly a little bit, this is man utd and federer for you.. at one point they both had/have an aura of invincibility

MurrayFan1
02-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Nadal is NOTHING like Liverpool! They will NEVER win the league haha.

Though I do agree with Villa/Murray

mashamaniac
02-03-2009, 11:20 AM
compared to Chelsea and Liverpool? yeah, they do play some attractive football..

mind you, i am an arsenal fan, recently arsenal have been poor (despite being 10 games unbeaten), but when arsenal hit top form they are the most entertaining to watch, and this is exactly like gasquet, but when you have to win, when you need to secure a win with variety, maybe playing ugly a little bit, this is man utd and federer for you.. at one point they both had/have an aura of invincibility

Well since i remember watching footall, back to late 90s till now, i remember man utd was always famous to play fluently and beautifully and also used to win mostly easily back then :eek: this year, though they're playing ugly football and just winning with minimum of Goal difference! just scoring late winner in most of their recent matches :o

mashamaniac
02-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Arsenal,as groundstroke said,at their top form play a football that no other club can play! just a pity henry left the club otherwise arsenal too would've been a contender this year :devil::(

Kolya
02-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Davydenko - Juventus.

PiggyGotRoasted
02-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Roddick - Liverpool
Always think they are up there challanging for titles and are massive but in reality all there success has been and gone and they will never win anything again.

mashamaniac
02-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Davydenko - Juventus.

That's just not true :angel: Juve always plays attractively but that's not true about kolya!

Certinfy
02-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Haha very interesting thread.

Murray and Liverpool FTW tho. But i guess Villa are ok =)

tennishero
02-03-2009, 11:56 AM
That's just not true :angel: Juve always plays attractively but that's not true about kolya!

I think he ment there also similar because they both cheated :p

RicRoc
02-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Kiefer and Hannover 96. He is a fan of the club. And like his club he is close to go (return) to the second divsion.:bigwave:

shotgun
02-03-2009, 12:22 PM
I prefer to compare them to national teams.

Federer - Brazil (the undisputed best and most talented)
Nadal - Italy (defensive and not very attractive to watch, but very successful and effective)
Davydenko - Germany (pragmatic style and always into the latter stages of big tournaments)
Nalbandian - Argentina (lots of talent but most of the time underachieving and choking on big matches)
Roddick - England (always hyped up for a big title even though not the most talented and with only one important title under their belt)
Murray - Spain (intelligent game and the newest threat, no big titles yet)
Djokovic - France (usually not very entertaining to watch and you can never tell whether they'll breeze through their matches or stink up the place)
Gasquet - Netherlands (very flashy and offensive but never won anything really big)
Berdych - Czech Republic (same as Netherlands but not so overhyped)
Ferrero - Uruguay (former great of the game that is pure decadence these days)

groundstroke
02-03-2009, 01:02 PM

Nadal - Italy (defensive and not very attractive to watch, but very successful and effective)
Davydenko - Germany (pragmatic style and always into the latter stages of big tournaments)
Nalbandian - Argentina (lots of talent but most of the time underachieving and choking on big matches)
Roddick - England (always hyped up for a big title even though not the most talented and with only one important title under their belt)
Djokovic - France (usually not very entertaining to watch and you can never tell whether they'll breeze through their matches or stink up the place)
Gasquet - Netherlands (very flashy and offensive but never won anything really big)

Agree with.... all of those. Except, France's games are sort of flashy, they have Henry, Benzema, Nasri, Ribery, all players full of flair, and Djokovic has flair too)

Henry Chinaski
02-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Gilles Simon - Villarreal.

Unexpectedly came from nowhere to challenge the big guns with a game based on solid defence and counter-punching. Often dull and defensive but capable of some incredible passages of flair at times. Have confounded expectations by somewhat cementing their position in the upper echelons of the game but are likely to fall just a bit short when the major trophies are being handed out.

HattonWBA
02-03-2009, 05:36 PM

Unexpectedly came from nowhere to challenge the big guns with a game based on solid defence and counter-punching. Often dull and defensive but capable of some incredible passages of flair at times. Have confounded expectations by somewhat cementing their position in the upper echelons of the game but are likely to fall just a bit short when the major trophies are being handed out.
Best analysis i have read to be honest, spot on with that

Andi-M
02-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Nadal - Liverpool (mentally very, very tough, you can never rule them out of it)

Federer - Man Utd (beautiful to watch, won pretty much everything, all areas of game are complete, defence, attack.. etc)

Murray - Aston Villa (both very British and playing above their level (murray challenging the top 3 for a Slam and Villa going for the 4th spot))

Gasquet - Arsenal (amazing to watch, a big threat when they are on form)

Just a little idea I thought of, now what about your thoughts? There are players like Djokovic, Verdasco, Karlovic, etc, to be compared to teams like Inter Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid, etc... Who do you think plays like a certain football team?

:)

Ugh! Please dont compare Murray to those disgusting Villans! He's not playing above his level he's not reached it yet! I think he's prob like Liverpool atm good, consistant, v.attractive (at times), still with something to prove.

Unfortunately Arsenal and Gasquet are the same. Both useless, oh well hope with Eduardo and Arshavin that will change!

kai.
02-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Gasquet - Arsenal :haha: naaaa arcenal?? XD

gasquet is mm* racing :haha: (muy pecho frios)

adee-gee
02-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Davydenko - Juventus.
:spit:
:unsure:
Spain just won Euro 08 to be fair :p

Federer = Arsenal. Bad losers and crybabies.

rocketassist
02-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Nadal- Chelsea
Federer- Barcelona/Man Utd
Davydenko- Everton
Nalbandian- Arsenal
Djokovic- Liverpool
Murray- Roma
Verdasco- Man City (sleeping giant, always had potential)

rocketassist
02-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Agree with.... all of those. Except, France's games are sort of flashy, they have Henry, Benzema, Nasri, Ribery, all players full of flair, and Djokovic has flair too)

Djokovic flair? Are you kidding? He's a grinder, albeit one that can be an aggressive one.

rocketassist
02-03-2009, 11:30 PM

PMK pragmatic? He's one of the most attack-minded players.

Andi-M
02-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Nadal - Inter Milan
Murray - Valencia
Djokovic - Liverpool
Federer - Man Utd
Davydenko - Villa
Tsonga - Arsenal
Roddick - Chelsea

Action Jackson
02-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Nadal - Inter Milan
Murray - Valencia
Djokovic - Liverpool
Federer - Man Utd
Davydenko - Villa
Tsonga - Arsenal
Roddick - Chelsea

Nadal wins big trophies therefore he isn't Inter Milan at all.

Andi-M
02-03-2009, 11:59 PM

:lol: True, though i think Inter are real deal this year.

Action Jackson
02-04-2009, 12:00 AM
:lol: True, though i think Inter are real deal this year.

Yeah and Scolari doesn't look like Gene Hackman.

Andi-M
02-04-2009, 12:07 AM
Yeah and Scolari doesn't look like Gene Hackman.

:lol:
We'll see come the end of the season ;) They may finally get CL!

Crazy Girl
02-04-2009, 12:10 AM
What, what, what????
Kolya doesn't play attractively??
His game is amazing!!!! So fast, quick....attractively at all!!!
And so beautiful to see!!!:p:p:p:p:p

shotgun
02-04-2009, 12:11 AM

Yeah, you have a point there. But France can be very dull at times when they lack offensive power.

I meant in the sense that Federer holds more titles than any other active player and you can make a parallel with the Brazilian NT (5 WC titles is above anyone else). I don't mean to say he's the best at the moment (and it's also debatable whether the current Brazilian team is).

Euro is like a TMS event. What really matters is the WC, like GS events in tennis. ;)

PMK pragmatic? He's one of the most attack-minded players.

Still pragmatic. Usually he has a gameplan and sticks to it throughout the game, not unlike the German NT.

out_here_grindin
02-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Karlovic is like Stoke City, good team and at the higher end of the game, however fucking shit and boring to watch

yes very much so.

By the same token who would you say is like West Brom? Fun to watch but in the end not produce too many resluts expecially against the top players?

Crazy Girl
02-04-2009, 12:57 AM
Roger: Real Madrid.
Nikolay: Bayern Munchen.
Why?:confused:For me simply the best!!!:worship::worship:
Go Kaiser Franz!!!!!

groundstroke
02-04-2009, 10:02 PM

Great analysis, by the way did your name come from the book Factotum by Burowski (sp)?

:spit:

Federer = Arsenal. Bad losers and crybabies.

Federer isn't like Arsenal at all, Federer has pretty much all the shots in the game and he won a Grand Slam + Olymipics medal last year, Arsenal won.. nothing... for 5 years, Fed has won a lot of slams since 2005.

Nadal- Chelsea
Federer- Barcelona/Man Utd
Davydenko- Everton
Nalbandian- Arsenal
Djokovic- Liverpool
Murray- Roma
Verdasco- Man City (sleeping giant, always had potential)

Chelsea didn't win anything last year while Nadal has won 3 grand slams in 2 years now.

Other than that I agree.

groundstroke
02-04-2009, 10:04 PM
yes very much so.

By the same token who would you say is like West Brom? Fun to watch but in the end not produce too many resluts expecially against the top players?

Could be a number of players, Volandri had it in him at one point with his speculative BH, same with Gasquet except he's beaten Djokovic, Murray and Federer.

Winners take all
02-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Maybe some members from Spain, a country which strongly favors aesthetic soccer, will not like my comparison but I do think Nadal's style resembles that of the Italy national football team: tactical, effective, consistent, modern, unbending, successful, but hated by a legion of retarded fans of the so-called 'artistic tennis'.

delpiero7
02-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Juan Martin Del Potro - Celtic

Dominates all the rubbish players ranked below him (like Celtic in the SPL) but shits his pants whenever he faces anyone ranked higher (Celtic in the Champions League)

Henry Chinaski
02-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Great analysis, by the way did your name come from the book Factotum by Burowski (sp)?

Bukowski, yes. Not just factotum but most of his other works too.

Action Jackson
05-29-2011, 07:57 AM
As asked for by tnosugar before this thread gets moved to Off Topic.

I called Viktor Troicki the Stoke City of the ATP. Hard to watch, no artistry just hitting.

Action Jackson
05-29-2011, 07:59 AM

Hahaha, even Inter got lucky.

tnosugar
05-29-2011, 08:00 AM
As asked for by tnosugar before this thread gets moved to Off Topic.

I called Viktor Troicki the Stoke City of the ATP. Hard to watch, no artistry just hitting.

thank you Mr. Action, bookmarking it now, for detailed analysis :)

Jimnik
05-29-2011, 08:05 AM

:yeah:

Always knew there must be a connection.

Pirata.
05-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Surely Murray = Arsenal. Always on the edge of breaking through but still can't win any major titles.

Action Jackson
05-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Surely Murray = Arsenal. Always on the edge of breaking through but still can't win any major titles.

Not in the way they play.

StoGas
05-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Djokovic = Barcelona :worship:

hicdick
05-29-2011, 10:17 AM

:no:

anyway, koellerer = millwall

Action Jackson
05-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Djokovic = Barcelona :worship:

Comedian

Djokovic = Germany before 2006, ruthlessly efficient, get the job done and successful.

Tipster13
05-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Davydenko - Juventus.

hahaha :lol: very nice, i loughed :lol: good interpretation about fixing :lol: a with plus :D

bouncer7
05-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Djokovic - Barcelona, Messi is backhand, Xavi dropshot, Iniesta movement, they have best attackin defense
Federer - Real Madrid, have most trophies but always manage to lose against Barca, even if they sometimes have nice game plan but Pepe or famous backhand always will quickly back it to the normal
Nadal - Chelsea,physically strong team able to win Barca but only with perfect defense.
Murray, Inter M, manage to win trophies accidentally, one in 20 years or if better 3 players takin pause cause of doping control
Berdych - Arsenal, they not able even to win trophies accidentally

RagaZ
01-30-2012, 10:02 AM
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/430051_10150495356191744_103169906743_9276918_8166 28924_n.jpg

RagaZ
08-19-2013, 08:02 AM
Bump.

Roger Federer = Real Madrid:. The most sucessfull in their sports. Known for a offensive style of play, but both has declined last couple of years.

Rafael Nadal = Man United: Maybe not the most beautiful playing style, but always gets it done when it matters.

Andy Murray = Chelsea = Catenaccio, defensive style.

Davydenko = Juventus: Masters of match-fixing.

Karlovic/Isner = Stoke: Hated for their special style of play. No elegance, and their biggest strenght is height.

Nole Rules
08-19-2013, 08:20 AM
Djokovic = BVB :cool:

shawshank
08-19-2013, 08:24 AM

You realise that BVB is actually playing really nice and atractive football? :)

Fedalovic
08-19-2013, 08:24 AM
Nadal = Barcelona, not very appealing style of play but still won everything

forehandluva
08-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Federer is real Madrid, most successful and play an attacking style.
nadal is Barcelona boring and effective.
nole is Bayern munich, no weakness.
murray is inter Milan the 2009/2010 version, negative tactics i.e parking the bus but wins big tournements.

nazzac
08-19-2013, 11:44 AM

Nah. Djokovic is more like Bayern.

Djokovic = Bayern- All round very good team
Murray = Chelsea- Plays generally a defensive style. You either like them or hate them
Nadal is a hard one.
Federer = Real Madrid- The most successful team/player, but not as great as they once were
Tsonga= Dortmund- Attacking style, generally very well liked

Shinoj
08-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Nadal is like Barcelone :eek:.. Biggest Joke of the Day

Federer is like Barcelone.. Smooth,Effortless and Pleasant Playing style and highly Effective at the Same time

Nadal is like a Chelsea or an EPL Club.. Distinct Lack of Talent covered up by a High Physical Play.

Djokovic is like a AC Milan... Has Flair and Great Defense and Most of the Memorable moments in their sport has been given by both.

Murray is like a Bayern Munich of recent years.. Always falling at the final hurdle while had a great year recently.

Rest of the Players do have hardly have a Mention.

Ikaron
08-19-2013, 11:59 AM
Juventus fixed LOL
Do you really watch football? It was Moratti's pranks. He saw,that Inter had no chance for Scudetto and downgraded Juve in serie b plus Milan started with -10.