Why do so many people hate Andy? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why do so many people hate Andy?

Rick V
08-03-2004, 05:31 PM
I've lurked on this board for awhile and I'm kind of astounded at the amount of vitriol aimed at Andy on this board. My impression is that alot of it has to do with straight anti-Americanism. But there has to be more to it than that.

Personally, I think Andy is a very likeable guy. Great sense of humor, always praiseworthy of his opponents before and after a match, claps his opponents good shots, doesn't make excuses for his losses. Andy is very, very competitive but that competitiveness never crosses that invisible line which would send it into poor sportsmanship.

And the fact that an ogre like Lubicic dislikes him should be proof that he is doing something right.

Any thoughts?

Deboogle!.
08-03-2004, 05:42 PM
hopefully you're not a new troll in disguise... I'm becoming rather cynical. But I'll give the benefit of the doubt and reply once :)

Andy is the type of person you either love or hate. He's in your face and he does things the way he wants. He doesn't pretend or put on an act or try to hide who he is. and people like that are polarizing. So you love it or hate it. Some people here obviously hate it. I personally love his dry wit, the fiery competitiveness, the humor he brings on court, etc.

I do think for SOME people Anti-Americanism is a factor, but there are plenty of Americans who hate him too...

My new mantra is that whoever doesn't like him and appreciate how good he is for the game is the one who's missing out. Too bad for them :nerner:

andyroxmysox12191
08-03-2004, 05:45 PM
i agree with deb :) dont wanna repeat anything but i agree with deb so what i wanna say is there. she has a better way with words.
:wavey: hi rick v! please don't be a troll. we've had enough of our fair share of them :)

Jennay
08-03-2004, 05:47 PM
I agree with Deb as well. :D

We hope you aren't a troll in disguise, since your post was very nice! Thank you, and welcome! :wavey:

snaillyyy
08-03-2004, 05:53 PM
I agree with Deb, Mani and Jen,( :worship: for the girls ;) ) and hope that this is a legitimate post. We get a bit suspicious with all those lurking trolls.

Nice comments about Andy so I will also say welcome :wavey: and hope it was sincere :)

tangerine_dream
08-03-2004, 05:56 PM
We've discussed this before, Rick, so I'll just post the response I gave way back when as to the reasons why Roddick elicits so much pro/con reactions. :)

Reasons Why People Fear/Hate/Love Andy (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=314061&highlight=tangerine#post314061) :devil:

Fumus
08-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Rick V :wavey: please post more! Welcome to the Andy forum!

Why do people hate ketchup on grilled cheese? It's soo tasty!

Why do people hate apple sauce with macorni and cheese? It's soooo good!

Why do people hate those listerine strips? They leave your mouth so refreshed, albeit they do feel icky at first...haha

Catch my drift here?

It's all a matter of personal preference, this a forum where people like all kinds of stuff. Basically what seperates the good posters from the bad is how you relate to others how you feel. You can dislike Andy, think he is pompus, rude, and flashy but still be respectful to the posters that enjoy Andy's tennis.

I personally like Andy because I like players I can see myself being/playing as/or whatever. Andy is much like me with his humor, his style of play, and general nature of being. When Andy loses, or wins, he treats it much of the way I do. In the matter of the rivalry, who doesn't find rooting for the underdog wicked fun?

I think generally Andy is liked. Alot of people don't hate Andy. It just happens that a few vocal posters in MTF like to start fights with us Andy fans, and they like post bad stuff about Andy. I would say overall the majority of the people who watch tennis, enjoy Andy and his tennis!

:)

star
08-03-2004, 06:26 PM
You guys keep on responding to this sort of thing and then there are going to be GM people in here like crazy giving chapter and verse about why they hate Andy.

Rick V
08-03-2004, 08:53 PM
Wow, the Andy bashing must be even worse than I thought considering all the suspicion that I might be a troll in disguise. Not at all. I'm a major Andy Roddick fan and have been since Andy played one of his last junior events (actually think it was his last) here in New Orleans in 2000 and I had the occasion to meet him. Very good guy and I know everyone who met him at that event was impressed with him as a person as well as his game. I knew he was about to turn pro and so I took an interest and really from that point on Andy became my favorite player.

I got to talk to him, albeit very briefly, for a 2nd time last December when he and Agassi played an exhibition match for Chef Emeril Lagasse's children charity here in New Orleans. He still impressed me as a genuine guy with his head still screwed on right. And of course I flat out love his game - his competitiveness even more than the shotmaking (though the shotmaking is pretty damn awesome too). Andy fights his butt off to win and I love that. I loved to watch Jimmy Connors for that reason though I would totally admit that Connors is not anywhere near the same caiber of person that Andy is.

I hope Andy keeps his head up despite the frustrations against Federer. I think Andy is correct: at least Roger can't really get better or more confident than he is right now. And Andy can definitely still improve his volley and return of serve. If he keeps plugging away I think it will eventually pay off. He should look at the John McEnroe/Ivan Lendl rivalry. There were many swings in that rivalry - Lendl dominated early then Mac raised his game and won 10 in a row then Lendl improved his volley and dominated Mac again. And although I like and have the highest respect for Roger, I'll be rooting hard for Andy.

Deboogle!.
08-03-2004, 08:58 PM
awww. :hug: Well we are thrilled to have you with us and yes, the bashing and trolling is THAT bad. Sorry to have been skeptical. Hope to see you 'round these parts a lot!

Jennay
08-03-2004, 08:58 PM
Awwww Rick V, I'm so happy, along with many others I'm sure, that you are a real Andy fan! :hug:

Welcome to the forum, keep posting! :D

Fumus
08-03-2004, 09:04 PM
Rick V in the place to be!! ahhh yea!

Nishy
08-03-2004, 09:09 PM
Rick V,

I am very glad to hear about nice meet experience to Andy.
I someday want to see his match in live.

I like his pure fighting sprit (competitiveness) too.

andyroxmysox12191
08-03-2004, 11:34 PM
:hug: so glad rick :hug: sorry that we jumped on you but we have our guard up right now :hug: hope to see you posting :)

Iheartandy&roger
08-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Why are people hating on anyone? It's ridiculous! :rolleyes: but for the record people are hatin on Andy cuz he's #2 n happens to be rite on Roger's heels and other people hate him cuz their player isn't where Andy is and only envy and dream that their player would be there. Have a nice day :wavey:

Carito_90
08-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Because they have nothing better to do? :lol:

No seriously.. i agree with Deb and Fumus :)

andyroxmysox12191
08-04-2004, 04:00 AM
then why are you here?

texassnake3161
08-04-2004, 04:01 AM
because I CAN be here.

andyroxmysox12191
08-04-2004, 04:03 AM
ok :)

RoddickBabe10
08-04-2004, 04:17 AM
Why do so many people hate him? Because he's sooo loved!

MaitaBaby
08-04-2004, 04:35 AM
I'm a little slow here.. :lol: what's a troll, you guys?

Joan
08-04-2004, 05:55 AM
Its true you either love/hate Andy.I have nothing against anyone but lately he's been acting like his the King of Spain(no offense to any Spaniards: love the food
and music: just a saying.) I mean what the hell? He asks the band that was at Wimbledon to be quiet saying'that he didn't want to interrupt any concert'. And I was extreamely furious when he called a 'rain cancellation' when it wasn't even raining on his match against Ani(mario ancic.)That was prepostrous,and okay well who am I to critizise but the way he behaved with Mandy was unacceptable. Just for that I give him a ZERO I really don't care(maybe just a little) that he is ranked #2 at the ATP.-Joan

[/SIZE]Sampras RulesNevermind Andy I prefer the Croat
Ani Rocks
:worship: Mario Ancic :worship:
:angel:

MaitaBaby
08-04-2004, 06:37 AM
Joan - You obviously don't like him cuz he beat Mario at Wimbledon. I actually found that "I don't want to interrupt any concert" funny just like everyone else did (except you maybe). And true, we don't know what really happened between him and Mandy so you can't judge him for that.

RoddickBabe10
08-04-2004, 06:54 AM
Joan- it's okay... let's all be peaceful... hummmm.... KUMBAYAH MY LORD KUMBAYAH... come on now repeat after me...

snaillyyy
08-04-2004, 08:15 AM
Wow, the Andy bashing must be even worse than I thought considering all the suspicion that I might be a troll in disguise. Not at all. .

Awww Rick V, so glad to hear this, sorry i seemed so suspicious, but as others have mentioned we have become a bit skeptical lately.

So let me repeat what has already been said and Welcome!! :bigclap: and keep coming back!!!! :cool:

Arcadion
08-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Welcome Rick :)
I like Andy for the exact same reasons you mentioned.

J. Corwin
08-04-2004, 09:50 AM
Welcome Rick V :wavey: Good posts!

elusive
08-04-2004, 10:11 AM
im just glad there's one more person without anything against andy :) all the andy hating around, esp in the gm forum, are getting on my nerves. people seem to hate andy for the most ludicuous reasons! its really annoying.

i just love andy's fiery temperament on court and he never fails to mention something nice about his opponents regardless of the result of the game. that is what's so nice and sincere about him.

welsome rick:)

Fumus
08-04-2004, 03:09 PM
I mean what the hell? He asks the band that was at Wimbledon to be quiet saying'that he didn't want to interrupt any concert'.

Get your facts straight, I had that quote in my sig for awhile. That wasn't the band at Wimbledon.. :rolleyes: :smash: that was at a pre-wimbledon exhibition. A band just started up playing, really loud like in the middle of point, right outside the stadium. It actually distracted both players and stopped play, so that's why Andy said that! :)

And I was extreamely furious when he called a 'rain cancellation' when it wasn't even raining on his match against Ani(mario ancic.)

Ok it was raining, and play was going to be cancelled anyways. If you have ever played on wet grass you would know how slippery it is. I think it was the right move for both players that Andy did that. If Ancic had gotten injured and his career ended, you might feel different ;)

That was prepostrous,and okay well who am I to critizise but the way he behaved with Mandy was unacceptable. Just for that I give him a ZERO I really don't care(maybe just a little) that he is ranked #2 at the ATP.-Joan

What did he do with Mandy? lol, Unacceptable, all those apperances he made with her! Mandy watching Andy's matches, omg that terrible and should be banned. To think they looked like they had a good time with each other, that's ridiculous...ert Roddiculous...hehe...Joan why don't you get your facts straighted and then um come by and post what you really think. You hate Andy because he beat your favorite "Super Mario" :)

TinyT
08-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Joan- it's okay... let's all be peaceful... hummmm.... KUMBAYAH MY LORD KUMBAYAH... come on now repeat after me...

LMAO!!! :spit:

Juanquis.Angel
08-05-2004, 10:20 PM
I don't think it's that people necessarily hate Andy himself (okay, yes, some do, but I'm ignoring them for the time being), it's that they dislike the amount of attention he's given. Yes, he's most definitely an amazing player (I myself have about ten tapes full of Andy matches, interviews, etc.) and in *no* way am I'm trolling it up, but I've noticed lately that many tennis fans I know have gotten tired of only seeing Andy on television. I found myself even frustrated last night when I turned on ESPN2 to see Safin and/or Ferrero play their second round matches in Cincy, and saw that ESPN was covering Andy's match against Kiefer from the beginning, even though he was still playing (glad he won, by the way...great match, loved that great shot he ran back to the baseline to get!).

I'm not a huge Andy fan, but I admire him for how well he plays and how much he cracks me up with his antics on court. I enjoy watching him play, but as I have many other favorite players, I like to see them once in awhile too!

Hopefully, I'm not the only one who feels that way! :unsure:

star
08-05-2004, 11:24 PM
:wavey: Juanqui's Angel.

Nice to see you post even though Andy isn't one of your favorites. It's nice to see that you can see good things in him.

I've got other favorites that I like to see too, but I've been watching tennis on tv for too many years to think that they are going to show anything but what they think will bring in the ratings.

I remember how as an Edberg fan, I would never get to see him play unless he got to the semis and sometimes not even then!!! So, I know your frustration.

Deboogle!.
08-05-2004, 11:26 PM
hi Juanqui's Angel! I understand the whole not liking the attention he's given - that's one of the reasons I don't enjoy watching Roger's matches because of the commentators' drooling. But what I don't understand is how that relates to not liking HIM. I mean he doesn't control the attention he's given (in some cases I think even HE hates it lol). But whatever :)

We all have other favorites, and thank god b/c I mean I need someone to cheer for during clay season and stuff ;)

RonE
08-05-2004, 11:50 PM
I think part of the reason is his energy- he is always so energetic and enthusiastic and he shows it out there, I think that rubs some people the wrong way. I personally love it! It's never a dull moment with Andy playing. I think in many ways it can be compared to Hewitt and his creis of C'MOOOON and his cussing- some people find it annoying too, and "un-tennis-like".
Anyway, thats just my $0.02 ;)

superpinkone37
08-05-2004, 11:54 PM
I think part of the reason is his energy- he is always so energetic and enthusiastic and he shows it out there, I think that rubs some people the wrong way. I personally love it! It's never a dull moment with Andy playing. I think in many ways it can be compared to Hewitt and his creis of C'MOOOON and his cussing- some people find it annoying too, and "un-tennis-like".
Anyway, thats just my $0.02 ;)

i agree with you in saying that he might get sooo much attention for that, and some people dont like it. but i for one, really love him for that energy

Juanquis.Angel
08-05-2004, 11:59 PM
Hi everyone! :worship:

...but I've been watching tennis on tv for too many years to think that they are going to show anything but what they think will bring in the ratings.

I remember how as an Edberg fan, I would never get to see him play unless he got to the semis and sometimes not even then!!! So, I know your frustration.

Yeah, it's definitely tough, but I know that even after all the ranting and yelling and complaining, my butt will be parked right in front of the t.v. for another dose of ATP tennis. :)

We all have other favorites, and thank god b/c I mean I need someone to cheer for during clay season and stuff :wink:

Oh yeah, I've got my Ferrero for that! Yeah, I know it's not Roddick's fault for being shown so much, but I guess it's just the association between not seeing other players and seeing Roddick a lot that irks people.

I'm actually a big fan of the shouting and whatnot...and you're right, never a dull moment. :cool:

andyroxmysox12191
08-06-2004, 12:20 AM
hey Juanquis.Angel! :wavey: it's nice to see you posting here :hug: everyone else already said what i would've said if i was smarter lol so yeah.......hi! lol

star
08-06-2004, 12:27 AM
And the other good thing about Juanqui's Angel posting is that we get to see her lovely avatar a lot!!!! :drool: :lick:

Juanquis.Angel
08-06-2004, 12:46 AM
Howdy andyroxmysox12191!

Haha...yeah, I spend minutes at a time on the forum, just drooling over my avatar!!!

Jennay
08-06-2004, 12:59 AM
Welcome Juanquis.Angel :wavey: :hug:

As Mani said.. Star and Deb are much better at words then I am :lol: So I agree with them :)

Yes, your avatar is :drool: :hearts: ;)

tangerine_dream
08-06-2004, 01:22 AM
Hi Juanquis.Angel :wavey: A lot of us here like Ferrero too! :worship:

I always enjoy reading well thought-out posts on Andy, both pro and con. You're one of the few who actually has something of interest to say. Thanks for your post. :D

Juanquis.Angel
08-06-2004, 01:25 AM
Hi Juanquis.Angel :wavey: A lot of us here like Ferrero too! :worship:

I always enjoy reading well thought-out posts on Andy, both pro and con. You're one of the few who actually has something of interest to say. Thanks for your post. :D

Haha, I'm glad my avatar is so popular (and hot), just like the person it's of! :cool:

But anyway, thank you tangerine_dream, I try my best to explain things without offending anyone!

superpinkone37
08-06-2004, 01:31 AM
yep that avatar is very nice lmao

boliviana
08-06-2004, 01:38 AM
Roddick is an easy target. He dominates the playing field and if you are in the US and want to watch tennis, he is it. They don't show anyone else (except for Agassi) unless they have to. (They should rename ESPN the USA Sports Channel) He's young and his game still needs to get some more dimension to it . . . he's known for his amazing serve. It's boring for some who want to see a match with a notch less testosterone and a bit more strategy and thought. He's gotten a lot better but reputations die hard. And he's American as apple pie. We aren't too popular these days . . . and then of course people like to knock down those who are on top. Who didn't cheer when Federer lost . .. not to be mean (at least me) but because it would allow others to move ahead.

Juanquis.Angel
08-06-2004, 02:28 AM
Roddick is an easy target. He dominates the playing field and if you are in the US and want to watch tennis, he is it. They don't show anyone else (except for Agassi) unless they have to. (They should rename ESPN the USA Sports Channel)

I agree with that...but it's hard to find a station in the US nowadays that isn't slightly biased toward non-Americans anyway. I'm all for our American players (especially Blake... :drool: ), but I'm also for the Spainards, and the Russians, and the Australians, and the French...I'd better stop there, I could go on forever. ;)

boliviana
08-06-2004, 01:26 PM
I think you meant to say biased against non-americans but I get your point. I can't wait for the Olympics except the thought of watching Katie Couric (and all the rest of them) and her toothy grin and her stupid questions for two weeks is enough to make me vomit. And NBC is all about the USA . . . you'd think Europe was a spin-off from us or something. It's gross. It's embarassing. It's ignorant!! And even though tennis is but a microscopic bit of it all, the way the networks treat tennis is how they treat almost anything these days. :mad:

Sorry I am off topic but ugh . . .

TGIF :D