A suggestion; take it any way you wish [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

A suggestion; take it any way you wish

cobalt60
02-02-2009, 10:18 PM
I might be joking and then again I might not. ;) But have you ever considered shutting down GM for a day or two? It might stop all the nonsensical threads from being started. At least it would give those of us who consider ourselves adults a break. Just like sending my kids to their rooms :p After all if GM did not exist the trolls might go elsewhere or at least might think twice about coming out to play. Thank you.

Deboogle!.
02-02-2009, 10:45 PM
how about permanently:D

cobalt60
02-02-2009, 10:52 PM
how about permanently:D

:rolls: Be prepared to get repped; if I can :lol:

Deboogle!.
02-02-2009, 11:05 PM
I can't :lol: so a :smooch: from me :p

Lee
02-03-2009, 02:16 AM
I am trying to answer this seriously. :p

I am worried after sending the kids to their rooms, they may start a fire or do some serious damage to their rooms :tape:

Castafiore
02-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Maybe I'm oversimplifying but how about staying away from MTF if you find the place too immature for you? :shrug:

What are mature posters doing on MTF anyway? (I might be joking here, I might not ;) )

I see your point about wanting to shut the place down after an important match but :bs: threads will always appear after those matches. I don't see how you can avoid them on a message board where several fan groups clash. How are you going to sift out the "immature" posters and who decides what is considered to be just funny and what is immature? (granted, it's sometimes easy to see but often not because it depends on personal preferences, your own (biased) opinions, etc)

The only trolls you're going to avoid by closing down the place for a couple of days are the impulsive ones but most of you have been a member of MTF for quite some time, long enough to know that many of the trolls are not impulsive but consistent. You'll still end up with :bs: posts but only two days later. You'll only push the trolling, bashing, mocking, etc. two days into the future.

For as long as I've been a member of this forum, it's happened. It's not a recent thing.

Carlita
02-03-2009, 10:08 AM
If they can't post it in GM they'll go spread the crap all over the rest of MTF :unsure: now there's a scary thought! :eek:

cobalt60
02-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Maybe I'm oversimplifying but how about staying away from MTF if you find the place too immature for you? :shrug:

What are mature posters doing on MTF anyway? (I might be joking here, I might not ;) )

I see your point about wanting to shut the place down after an important match but :bs: threads will always appear after those matches. I don't see how you can avoid them on a message board where several fan groups clash. How are you going to sift out the "immature" posters and who decides what is considered to be just funny and what is immature? (granted, it's sometimes easy to see but often not because it depends on personal preferences, your own (biased) opinions, etc)

The only trolls you're going to avoid by closing down the place for a couple of days are the impulsive ones but most of you have been a member of MTF for quite some, long enough to know that many of the trolls are not impulsive but consistent. You'll still end up with :bs: posts but only two days later. You'll only push the trolling, bashing, mocking, etc. two days into the future.

For as long as I've been a member of this forum, it's happened. It's not a recent thing.

That's the problem with this place; many have lost their sense of humor. And those who no longer post left for that specific reason. And good question? I do indeed wonder why some of us still stay around. Maybe that's because we can't let the trolls or whatever one wants to call them get rid of us. Or maybe some of us actually like some of the posters we chat with. ;)
However why am I not surprised that you answered in such a typically patronising way.

cobalt60
02-03-2009, 11:09 AM
If they can't post it in GM they'll go spread the crap all over the rest of MTF :unsure: now there's a scary thought! :eek:

I was indeed being facetious;)

Castafiore
02-03-2009, 11:15 AM
That's the problem with this place; many have lost their sense of humor. And those who no longer post left for that specific reason. And good question? I do indeed wonder why some of us still stay around. Maybe that's because we can't let the trolls or whatever one wants to call them get rid of us. Or maybe some of us actually like some of the posters we chat with. ;)
I don't think that it has changed this much over the recent years but perhaps you could shrug it off more easily in the past?

It's been ugly when Roddick and Hewitt were competiting for the big titles on a regular basis, when Nadal came up, when Novak won his AO title. I don't quite understand (genuine question) why it's changed for you so much all of a sudden (or perhaps not all of a sudden but it's only recently I see you posting about it)

I do think that it's still possible to get a non-trollish conversation going in here with your not so immature friends. It's just impossible in GM.

However why am I not surprised that you answered in such a typically patronising way.
:confused: That's me told. :lol:
Sorry, that's usually your department.:p

:o :o
Seriously, I didn't mean it to be patronising.

JolánGagó
02-03-2009, 02:58 PM
I take it as a failed attempt at humor.

l_mac
02-03-2009, 03:13 PM
GM has been worse.

The beginning of last year with all the bad feeling between the new Noletrolls and his detractors was not pleasant. The aftermath of Wimbledon was awful.

Currently, I am struggling to understand the thought process that is going in to the deletion/closure of certain threads, while others are left to spiral totally out of control.

I've been reading this forum for nearly 5 years. Too many people look back with rose tinted glasses.

*Ljubica*
02-03-2009, 03:20 PM

Word :worship: Don't let the b**tards grind you down as they say :) I admit I've taken a few breaks along the way from MTF - but, like you, I tend to drift back because there ARE some great people here whom I consider to be my friends (like yourself and Lee here), - and it's not always possible or practical to chat on Facebook or MSN, so it's a convenient place to meet.

I know there has always been trolling on MTF (it goes with the territory of Internet Message Boards I guess :shrug: ), but, like you, I do firmly believe that the standards have gone down in the past year or so. In the "old days" we had people like RonE and hitchhiker, who got their point over in a funny (and some would consider) trolling way but without ever resorting to being bitchy or hurtful to other posters, insulting people, or using what I would consider "inappropiate language". But somehow that light-hearted element seems to have disappeared over the past year, and the only "humour" one sees here, seems to be of a rather nasty and unkind type, that I personally dislike :shrug: Some of the posters here remind me of a rather unpleasant pack of hyenas or vultures - just waiting for the "right" result to hurl themselves into some entirely unsuitable display of hate, - not just aimed against their least-liked player, but against their entourages, famiiles, fans, and sometimes their whole nation too.

:rolls: Be prepared to get repped; if I can :lol:

I did it for you :)

tangerine_dream
02-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Kind of like how they started spreading their crap in the score results thread instead of keeping it contained in the roasting threads where it belonged, but those threads were closed by the nanny mods who thought that the roasters would just stop and go away once their 'hateful' roasting threads were closed.

Oops.

l_mac
02-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Word - don't let the b**tards grind you down as they say :) I admit 've taken a few breaks along the way from MTF - but, like you, I tend to drift back because there ARE some great people here whom I consider to be my friends (like yourself and Lee here), - and it's not always possible or practical to chat on Facebook or MSN, so it's a convenient place to meet.

I know there has always been trolling on MTF (it goes with the territory of Internet Message Boards I guess :shrug ), but, like you, I do firmly believe that the standards have gone down in the past year or so. In the "old days" we had people like RonE and hitchhiker, who got their point over in a funny (and some would consider) trolling way but without ever resorting to being bitchy or hurtful to other posters, insulting people, or using what I would consider "inappropiate language",. But somehow that light-hearted element seems to have disappeared over the past year, and the only "humour" one sees here, seems to be of a rather nasty and unkind type, that I personally dislike :shrug:

Hilarious.

scoobs
02-03-2009, 04:11 PM
GM has been worse.

The beginning of last year with all the bad feeling between the new Noletrolls and his detractors was not pleasant. The aftermath of Wimbledon was awful.

Currently, I am struggling to understand the thought process that is going in to the deletion/closure of certain threads, while others are left to spiral totally out of control.

I've been reading this forum for nearly 5 years. Too many people look back with rose tinted glasses.
Ah well, part of the joy of being a mod is that most people think they could do a better job than you but few are actually prepared to do it :)

l_mac
02-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Ah well, part of the joy of being a mod is that most people think they could do a better job than you but few are actually prepared to do it :)

Anytime the admins want to offer me a position, I am there :) :wavey:

shotgun
02-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Anytime the admins want to offer me a position, I am there :) :wavey:

You do know that one of the conditions of being a mod is that you should avoid getting into disputes and arguments between fanbases, right?

l_mac
02-03-2009, 05:53 PM
You do know that one of the conditions of being a mod is that you should avoid getting into disputes and arguments between fanbases, right?

And?

tennizen
02-03-2009, 06:12 PM
I might be joking and then again I might not. ;) But have you ever considered shutting down GM for a day or two? It might stop all the nonsensical threads from being started. At least it would give those of us who consider ourselves adults a break. Just like sending my kids to their rooms :p After all if GM did not exist the trolls might go elsewhere or at least might think twice about coming out to play. Thank you.

If you could stop yourself from thinking you are "the mother" of MTF maybe things would be a little better for you.

Lee
02-03-2009, 06:26 PM
This is not GM. No need to get personal here. :shrug:

l_mac
02-03-2009, 06:31 PM
This is not GM. No need to get personal here. :shrug:

Do you mean what shotgun said to me :tears:

It's okay, I can take it.

tennizen
02-03-2009, 06:32 PM
^^ I am not getting personal. The OP equates moderating GM as being similar to punishing her kids. I am saying that MTF is not equivalent to her kids:shrug:

Lee
02-03-2009, 06:35 PM
I didn't refer to specific posts and I am really not. But my comment was jumped on immediately instead of what I hope. :shrug:

Snoo Foo
02-03-2009, 06:38 PM
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc179/SnooFoo828/mtf/tennizen.jpg

cobalt60
02-03-2009, 06:41 PM
If you could stop yourself from thinking you are "the mother" of MTF maybe things would be a little better for you.

Things are just fine for me. Nothing on this site will ever get to me. You included. And god forbid I should be anybody's mother here. When I started this thread I did not consider any of the Rafa fans who posted here as starting trolling threads. However I am not surprised that you all took it among yourselves to respond. But please feel free to respond now and I will gladly let you have the last word.

tennizen
02-03-2009, 06:42 PM
I didn't refer to specific posts and I am really not. But my comment was jumped on immediately instead of what I hope. :shrug:

Your comment immediately followed mine so I responded. Was not "jumping" on it.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc179/SnooFoo828/mtf/tennizen.jpg

:lol: Thanks;)

Lee
02-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Your comment immediately followed mine so I responded. Was not "jumping" on it.

There are many posts between my last post and the one before. And I did not quote your post. So yes, that's "jumping".

l_mac
02-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Things are just fine for me. Nothing on this site will ever get to me. You included. And god forbid I should be anybody's mother here. When I started this thread I did not consider any of the Rafa fans who posted here as starting trolling threads. However I am not surprised that you all took it among yourselves to respond. But please feel free to respond now and I will gladly let you have the last word.

Yeah, the minute you opened the thread the PMs between us started flying :lol:

tennizen
02-03-2009, 06:46 PM

I am not responding here because I feel the need to have the last word but because I feel the need to clarify.

And it does not matter whether you refer to Rafa fans or anybody else. Please don't club us all together as we are all individuals with differing opinions.

The reason I responded the way I did is because I take issue with statements like, " We are the adults here. The rest of them behave like kids". I find that point of view to be extremely condescending.

shotgun
02-03-2009, 06:49 PM
And?

Would you be willing to sacrifice most of your posting activity on GM for the moderating role?

Castafiore
02-03-2009, 07:01 PM
but without ever resorting to being bitchy or hurtful to other posters, insulting people, or using what I would consider "inappropiate language".
:spit:

Right, and when you call other people a bitch (just to use one example of the insults I've seen you use to describe certain MTF'ers), this is appropriate because you're such a sensitive soul and people are just mean so you're only venting innocently, right?

If you don't like mudslinging contests, don't get caught with mud in your hands. Just a suggestion.

l_mac
02-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Would you be willing to sacrifice most of your posting activity on GM for the moderating role?

I rarely engage in fanbase fights.

shotgun
02-03-2009, 07:14 PM
I rarely engage in fanbase fights.

:worship:

Carlita
02-03-2009, 07:20 PM
we're not looking for any moderators at the moment, so it doesnt really matter does it? ;)

where is this thread going to ? :scratch:

tangerine_dream
02-03-2009, 07:27 PM
One of the mods in GM deleted a post of mine from the Phelps thread for no reason that I can think of. I called them both druggies which was obviously sarcastic but somebody either reported my post as offensive or one of the trigger-happy mods deleted it on the spot. In any case, I think the mods are having a hard time understanding the difference between moderating and babysitting.

l_mac
02-03-2009, 07:33 PM
we're not looking for any moderators at the moment, so it doesnt really matter does it? ;)

:tears:

Please keep me in mind for next recruitment drive.

I would also be willing to take on Tennis Serbia or the Fed forum if Jess or NYCTennisFan ever want to step down :D

where is this thread going to ? :scratch:

Same place as all the threads in this forum go - mod bashing :rocker2:

:lol:

Carlita
02-03-2009, 07:41 PM
I would also be willing to take on Tennis Serbia or the Fed forum if Jess or NYCTennisFan ever want to step down :D
of course ..... :secret: maybe not...:lol:

Lee
02-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Here's my thought about how to make GM a little bit better and it's a suggestion, not that I am stuffing anything down anyone's throat. You can take it or leave it, no skin off me. And if you disagree, please disagree with my comment here, not what I had post, is posting or will post or what you perceive me as a person.

There's a Chinese proverb and unfortunately, I am a terrible translator. It basically means, one step ahead, you hit the end of the world, one step back, you can see the whole universe.

Lots of time on GM and even in other forums, posters get trapped in the heat of the moment and ended up with all sorts of words flying without even notice what they are doing. I admit this has occurred to me too, lost my perspective and ended up arguing with others incessantly. I would suggest whenever we reach the point that we believe we are absolutely right, posters who are not agreeing are morons and the only way to response is calling the persons out (in a funny way or not), we step back and get out of the internet.

We may not be able to do the stepping back all the time, but may start with once in a while.

scoobs
02-03-2009, 09:18 PM
One of the mods in GM deleted a post of mine from the Phelps thread for no reason that I can think of. I called them both druggies which was obviously sarcastic but somebody either reported my post as offensive or one of the trigger-happy mods deleted it on the spot. In any case, I think the mods are having a hard time understanding the difference between moderating and babysitting.
Just because you meant it sarcastically doesn't mean it's going to get taken sarcastically by everyone who reads it.

Not everyone "gets" you and if I left it there my inbox would be flooded with complaints by tomorrow morning.

Kind regards,

Your babysitter.

PS - get to bed. My boyfiend is coming over with beer.

l_mac
02-03-2009, 09:20 PM
PS - get to bed. My boyfiend is coming over with beer.

scoobs you devil :devil:

My ex used to call me his girlfiend :haha: Especially after we split :tears:

scoobs
02-03-2009, 09:25 PM
boyfiend - Freudian slip there :tape:

cobalt60
02-03-2009, 09:56 PM
I don't think that it has changed this much over the recent years but perhaps you could shrug it off more easily in the past?

It's been ugly when Roddick and Hewitt were competiting for the big titles on a regular basis, when Nadal came up, when Novak won his AO title. I don't quite understand (genuine question) why it's changed for you so much all of a sudden (or perhaps not all of a sudden but it's only recently I see you posting about it)

I do think that it's still possible to get a non-trollish conversation going in here with your not so immature friends. It's just impossible in GM.

:confused: That's me told. :lol:
Sorry, that's usually your department.:p

:o :o
Seriously, I didn't mean it to be patronising.

Ok thanks for responding kindly. It bothers me now because it is different. I don't find the trolling that occurs as funny as it once was. And trust me I laugh a lot and like to;) And I did here once. It was easy to have a go at each other and it was all in good fun. That aspect is absolutely gone. And I am talking about 2005 and 2006. For the most part the trolling was hysterical and we all took it that way. At the moment I find a lot of GM titles ridiculous and discussions around them more so. And there are posters here who seem to feel the need to attack others. What is the purpose in that?

JolánGagó
02-05-2009, 12:01 PM

Yep, as in avoiding sending badreps with personal insults to posters you don't even know but guess they belong to a certain fanbase. You for sure can give us a few lessons of what a good mod should be like :yeah:

shotgun
02-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Yep, as in avoiding sending badreps with personal insults to posters you don't even know but guess they belong to a certain fanbase. You for sure can give us a few lessons of what a good mod should be like :yeah:

Do you expect me to act like a mod when I haven't been one anymore for over a year? Alternatively, do you expect GWB to keep acting like a president now that Obama has been elected?

Btw, never seen a person whine so much about a simple bad rep. Time to get over it, no?

And it's not about guessing, as it's always been quite clear what fanbase you belong to. The one of fans of everything Spanish. :D

star
02-05-2009, 05:46 PM
GM has been worse.

I've been here a long time too and I agree with you. I was shocked at the absolute vitrol spewed about Hewitt when I first joined (which was when it was still ATPWorld) Then it was about Andy. And it wasn't just about those players, it was personal. Anyone who voiced support of a player the inner circle disagreed with was subjected to insults. Curiously a lot of it had to do with age. Particularly if a new poster appeared who was a Roddick fan, immediately the poster was attacked and accused of being 13 years old -- which was pretty :lol: really, but it wasn't done in a humorous manner.

What's truly amusing to me is that now one of the worst offenders and also a breaker of forum rules is now a moderator, and some of the others now decry the uncivility of the board. :lol: They find it uncivil now that they've begun supporting players who are reviled in GM. It's just that the shoe is on the other foot. Plus there's always been backbiting and cliques forming and people just generally not liking one another and being hateful.

You have to sort through all of that to find the things you do like, and the people you can talk to, and if that's impossible, you simply can't participate here anymore, because I don't see it changing.

One of the things that I do think has improved is the amount of shal we say "adult content" that used to appear on the board has been eliminated. I used to complain a lot about that because there are posters here who are quite young. Plus, I'm not so fond of it either. :lol:

JolánGagó
02-05-2009, 07:06 PM

Do you expect me to act like a mod when I haven't been one anymore for over a year? Alternatively, do you expect GWB to keep acting like a president now that Obama has been elected?

Btw, never seen a person whine so much about a simple bad rep. Time to get over it, no?

And it's not about guessing, as it's always been quite clear what fanbase you belong to. The one of fans of everything Spanish. :D

I wasn't here when you were a mod, I just don't believe in miraculous character conversions so IMO all that holier-than-thou crap coming from you is just, well, crap :) Your rep was by far the most amusing message of any kind I got in my first few days posting here so, yes, I remember it with a particular fondness. I reckon though I would've forgotten it, and even you, if it wasn't by your self appointed position as MTF "How To Be A Good Mod For Dummies" lecturer-in-chief. Spare me the crap, it's getting embarrasing :wavey:

shotgun
02-05-2009, 08:04 PM
I wasn't here when you were a mod, I just don't believe in miraculous character conversions so IMO all that holier-than-thou crap coming from you is just, well, crap :) Your rep was by far the most amusing message of any kind I got in my first few days posting here so, yes, I remember it with a particular fondness. I reckon though I would've forgotten it, and even you, if it wasn't by your self appointed position as MTF "How To Be A Good Mod For Dummies" lecturer-in-chief. Spare me the crap, it's getting embarrasing :wavey:

Sure, Jolan, believe in what you will, doesn't affect me either way. :) Maybe one day you'll get over it. :hug:

Fee
02-07-2009, 06:52 AM
This thread is fun. I need popcorn.

More catfighting please.

cobalt60
02-07-2009, 11:29 AM
This thread is fun. I need popcorn.

More catfighting please.

:rolls: I aim to please :hatoff: But you will need to ask Lee if you can have her popcorn smiley ;)

Fee
02-07-2009, 05:07 PM
It's so funny how you wrote this thread with a comment about how things happen in GM, and then this thread became a perfect example of it. It's classic. I love MTF.

cobalt60
02-08-2009, 11:08 AM
It's so funny how you wrote this thread with a comment about how things happen in GM, and then this thread became a perfect example of it. It's classic. I love MTF.

Word

sigmagirl91
02-08-2009, 11:40 AM
My favorite acronym: SSDD. If you need to know what this means, pm me. Otherwise, take it any way you will.

Lee
02-08-2009, 04:03 PM
:rolls: I aim to please :hatoff: But you will need to ask Lee if you can have her popcorn smiley ;)

My popcorn smiley is offensive enough that it was deleted by mod :sobbing: I dare not to use it anymore.

l_mac
02-08-2009, 04:06 PM
My popcorn smiley is offensive enough that it was deleted by mod :sobbing: I dare not to use it anymore.

Are you kidding?

OMG.

:haha: but also :retard:

Lee
02-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Are you kidding?

OMG.

:haha: but also :retard:

I joked a little bit. It's collateral damage but it's really no big deal to leave a post with only the smiley there. Let's say the mod was being very thorough :o

Snowwy
02-08-2009, 04:49 PM

I miss shotgun :sad:

Tankman
02-10-2009, 02:10 AM

Agreed. Although I think I'm doing this all by myself :)

Yes I have found Suggestions/Feedback. Be warned :devil: