I wouldnt be supprised if Roger retired soon [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

I wouldnt be supprised if Roger retired soon

02-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Seriously I wouldn't. Heres why.

Alot of people who critisize Federer being the GOAT say that his era has been weak but then I dont buy that.

However there is some truth to the other reason why he possibly isn't the GOAT;

Pervious GOAT contenders, Sampras, Agassi, Laver, Borg, Mcenore etc all had to win multiple grand slam titles when there were other GOAT contenders around at the same time and had to win matches against them.

Look at the people Federer has beaten for his titles. Phillipousis, Safin, Roddick, Djokovic, Bagdatis, Gonzalez, Hewitt.

Most of them are one or none slam wonders.

Sure if someone had been around to challenge him he probably would have won a lot of those titles but in many of those matches like Djoker in 07 and Nadal wimbly in 07 he really didn't play that well but got away with it, someone better would have taken their chances and beat him.

The only player at the moment who is possibly in his League is Nadal. And guess what, he can't beat him anymore. The only times he was beating him was when he was younger and not mentally strong. Same with Djoker and Murray. He cant really beat them anymore the same way.

He really should have won that match last night as both played pretty badly. But he didnt and he cant take it back now. Its going to be so much tougher now. The federer era is over and as it should be, hes 27 and a half, he cant achieve much more in his career.

I dont think GOAT players should be judged on GS titles totally.

Why should he stick around just for the hope of picking up the odd title to break some meaningless record? Borg didn't for exaclty the same reason. Theres no point in hanging round when your past it. If you cant play your best anymore why play at all at this level?

Federer has done the game proud over the years. I remember watching him win his 6th or 7th title at AO in 06 and have wathched him ever since. But we knew it wouldn't last forever. I could accept the "hell be back" thing after the AO last year but I can't accept it now. Im a huge fan of him but its time for curtains I think.

The only reason i can think of for him sticking around is to make more money but he hardly needs it. Records are made to be broken and even if he wins 17 titles someone will get it eventually its bound to happen. Hes not interested in picking up cookie plates anymore. Die with some dignity I say.

Does anyone else agree?

Bear in mind any critisism of rogers GOAT staus due to a weak era also applies to nadal too. Maybe its why fans of each fight so much on here?

Commander Data
02-02-2009, 09:11 AM
I think Fed should retire when his game doesn't cut it anymore. Thats is not the case, he had the shots to win. He has some mental problems. he needs to fix that. he won't retire anytime soon. He cried because as he said himself, Mirka and Tennis is his whole Life.

finishingmove
02-02-2009, 09:20 AM
federer's viewpoint would be something like :"i'm still better than everyone, including rafa, and i can beat them anytime"

realistic view: he can still fluke a slam like USO last year.

probable scenario: he's gonna stick around some more, and that will eventually happen.

Kat!
02-02-2009, 09:24 AM
If Federer "should" retire, then 90% of the tour should retire too. Like.... aren't they all losing matches? Some of them can't even win ONE grand slam! Here's this guy who "should" retire because he can't beat Nadal??? :lol: Is this a joke?

And sometimes I wonder why people think Ferrero should retire, now I know why!

*shock horror* maybe playing tennis isn't always about winning! Maybe it's because these people love the game? Is it possible that it could be more about doing something you love rather than winning/money/fame???

02-02-2009, 09:27 AM
I think Fed should retire when his game doesn't cut it anymore. Thats is not the case, he had the shots to win. He has some mental problems. he needs to fix that. he won't retire anytime soon. He cried because as he said himself, Mirka and Tennis is his whole Life.

It's true he did have the game to win last night but he didn't win and he can never take that back. I think hes pretty well stuffed as guys like Murray and Tsonga and Nadal are now hitting their straps just as federer did at their age.

Hes going to be in for a lot more hurt if he hangs around for 3 more years in the hope of picking up the odd wimbledon or odd Us Open. A lot more tears. And I dont think he can take it anymore. What kind of effect will it have on his mind and his body?

Sure Borg and Henins retirements were probably a tad premature but I can see why they did it now.

Even the Die hard Fed Fans admit the days of winning 3 slams a year are over. They are only hoping he can pick up the odd one to break that record. Tennis for Federer only got worse since getting Samprases record became his only goal IMO. During 2007. When he just focused on playing the best he could play and he steamrolled just about everyone in front of him. Those days are over now.

Sure he has the shots. You never lose that, look at Sampras even now. But tennis is a total package. You need to have it all.

Federer already has God status, 44 million, olympic gold, a hero and flagbearer in his home country, world fame, a beautiful women and his relative youth. What more could a person ask for and what more could a person achieve?

Mimi
02-02-2009, 09:29 AM
roger wouldn't be so foolish to reitre when he is just within 2 more slams to become the greatest ever ;)

his fans will get over it very soon after he won a big title ;)

Commander Data
02-02-2009, 09:36 AM
It's true he did have the game to win last night but he didn't win and he can never take that back. I think hes pretty well stuffed as guys like Murray and Tsonga and Nadal are now hitting their straps just as federer did at their age.

Hes going to be in for a lot more hurt if he hangs around for 3 more years in the hope of picking up the odd wimbledon or odd Us Open. A lot more tears. And I dont think he can take it anymore. What kind of effect will it have on his mind and his body?

Sure Borg and Henins retirements were probably a tad premature but I can see why they did it now.

Even the Die hard Fed Fans admit the days of winning 3 slams a year are over. They are only hoping he can pick up the odd one to break that record. Tennis for Federer only got worse since getting Samprases record became his only goal IMO. During 2007. When he just focused on playing the best he could play and he steamrolled just about everyone in front of him. Those days are over now.

Sure he has the shots. You never lose that, look at Sampras even now. But tennis is a total package. You need to have it all.

Federer already has God status, 44 million, olympic gold, a hero and flagbearer in his home country, world fame, a beautiful women and his relative youth. What more could a person ask for and what more could a person achieve?

As long as he shows up in every slam final. he might hang in there. He would be pretty insane to retire now.

jenanun
02-02-2009, 09:51 AM
as roger said himself, lost to nadal is killing him. he doesnt care its no.2 or runner up... he thinks about himself only all the time...
he shows no respect to the person who beat him. i lost my respect to roger...

yep, go retired roger. i won't be surprised either.

Ferrero Forever
02-02-2009, 10:10 AM
I don't know. I actually partly agree with this statement, because it wouldn't surprise me if he has entertained the thought sometime recently. You'd have to wonder what the incentive behind keeping on going in a sport thats so demanding on your body and even your life in general (eg being away from family, constant travelling) if you've got nothing more to gain. At his worst point, Federer must have thought that he doesn't have what it takes to beat Nadal anymore, and his loss yesterday would have somewhat confirmed that in his mind. If he thinks that Nadal is going to beat him every single time he plays Roland Garros (which is probable), then whats the incentive? And if Federer's only future grand slams come by beating opponents other than Rafa, then will it have the same significance? Sure, Federer's aiming for the history books, but is it really worth the physical and emotional toll?

What I just said might just be a load of shit, but thats I how percieve his thought process to be at the worst of times, and I truly hope that he doesn't retire, because he's still got so much to give to the game, and he's still got many up and coming players to inspire, on and off the court. I don't think he will retire, but I can see why he might consider it.

BackhandMissile
02-02-2009, 10:15 AM
The season has only begun, and the guy reached the AO final and lost it in 5 sets. He dominated the world number 6 and destroyed the world number 7.

He has made the last 19 consecutive Grand-Slam final four, in which he reached the finals 16 times, and won 11 of them.

Once he DOESNT make the final four of a Grand Slam (which hasn't happened for almost 5 years) we can begin talking about retirement.

Let's not forget that there's still a good chance he wins 2 slams this year. There's no reason why he shouldn't win the US Open again (he made it look so easy last time) and the Wimbledon final was extremely close. The guy was down two sets and very narrowly lost the fifth.

Until the next three Grand Slams are played I don't think we can draw ANY conclusions whatsoever.

He has been playing and winning Grand Slam finals every year since 2003. If he fails to make any of them in 2010 (he's already made one this year) then we can start to speculate on the end of his career.

02-02-2009, 10:16 AM
If Federer "should" retire, then 90% of the tour should retire too. Like.... aren't they all losing matches? Some of them can't even win ONE grand slam! Here's this guy who "should" retire because he can't beat Nadal??? :lol: Is this a joke?

And sometimes I wonder why people think Ferrero should retire, now I know why!

*shock horror* maybe playing tennis isn't always about winning! Maybe it's because these people love the game? Is it possible that it could be more about doing something you love rather than winning/money/fame???

Different players different goals. Fed has stated his main goals. No.1 and Wimbledon. Nothing less will be good enough. At this stage it looks unlikely.

Its not like i mean right this second. Just think people who expect him to play for another 4 year or whatever are misguided.

Also, in these times, players might need more money or whatever to secure their futures, guys in feds age bracket.

Mohammad
02-02-2009, 10:22 AM
as roger said himself, lost to nadal is killing him. he doesnt care its no.2 or runner up... he thinks about himself only all the time...
he shows no respect to the person who beat him. i lost my respect to roger...

yep, go retired roger. i won't be surprised either.

Agreed!
It's a long time that Roger has died for me due to these manners!

Hola Mr. SK
02-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Not expect him to retire but he better take a holiday off to fix his serious mental problems. He should get over Nadal and find a way to beat him. It's painful but Fed has to admit Nadal is the better one, and that players like Murray,Djokovic can play better tennis than him on some day.

BackhandMissile
02-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Different players different goals. Fed has stated his main goals. No.1 and Wimbledon. Nothing less will be good enough. At this stage it looks unlikely.

I don't think there's enough evidence yet to say this. Let's not forget that the only person to test Federer at the last 6 Wimbledon championships was Nadal. Check this out:

2003: lost 1 set to Mardy Fish

2004: lost 1 set to Hewitt, 1 set to Roddick

2005: lost 1 set to Kiefer

2006: lost 1 set to Nadal

2007: lost 1 set to Ferrero, 2 sets to Nadal

2008: lost 3 sets to Nadal

The one time he did lose was in a very tightly contested match and Nadal was playing amazing tennis, even by his standards.

The only proven threat to Federer at Wimbledon (and Roland Garros for that matter) is an in-form Nadal.

It would only take an off-day from Nadal for Federer to take Wimbledon, and that would leave him with one slam to beat the record.

habibko
02-02-2009, 10:56 AM
I would be VERY surprised if he retired anytime soon, he loves the game, and one loss or many losses to his rival won't be a good enough reason to retire.

the man said so many times that he wants to be in the tour till at least 2012 London Olympics and then he will set a new goal wheather he will continue for a few years or retire, it's not even a definitive decision yet.

and for those who say he SHOULD retire, this is a big load of :bs: , why would a guy who make finals and semi-finals every single Slam think of retiring? and even if he lost the first round of a slam suddenly does that mean he should retire? what kind of logic is that? players win and lose and many lose more often than they win should they retire too?

a player retires when he doesn't have anything left in the tank to compete wheather it's old age (33+) or injury or special circumstances, not all players are Borgs and not all are Santoros either.

the 27 years old #2 player in the world should retire because he lost a Grand Slam final? just listen to yourself.

MacTheKnife
02-02-2009, 12:04 PM
This is a joke, right.. How many GS finals has the guy been in the last two years ?? You've got to be joking. When he reaches a point he's losing before quarters, he may think about. How quickly people forget about Sampras. It was two years between # 13 and 14 for him and many were writing him off long before that. Great tennis players don't usually die a quick death (except Borg), they usually fade away, and Fed fade has only just begun. He'll be around a good while longer and will be a major threat at 3 of 4 slams for a few more years.
This is like a flashback to Jul-Aug last year and we see how that worked out.

the graduate
02-02-2009, 12:05 PM
thats the problem with these players they dont have a life outside of tennis,if he was involved in other activities this wouldnt hurt so much.If I were Roger I will skip the clay season and just play Roland Garros go on an extended holiday without girlfriend just to refresh.;)

Hagar
02-02-2009, 12:15 PM
thats the problem with these players they dont have a life outside of tennis,if he was involved in other activities this wouldnt hurt so much.If I were Roger I will skip the clay season and just play Roland Garros go on an extended holiday without girlfriend just to refresh.;)

Why would he have to skip the clay season? He was the Roland Garros runner-up the last 3 years remember! That means he is a better clay courter than everybody apart from Nadal.
I don't understand why everyone thinks that the RG cup 2009 should immediately be given to Nadal without playing the tournament. Of course Rafa is the favourite on clay, but that still does not mean that someone can't take him out, or that Roger can't beat him in a RG final. It might be unlikely but it surely isn't possible. I have not seen anything in yesterday's match that makes me think that Roger will never beat Rafa again.

miura
02-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Rant
2003, would you have posted this if Roger won a few more points and had taken the 3rd set tie-break, the 4th and the match? We're not talking a lot of points here, only a few winners here and a few erros there.

Eden
02-02-2009, 02:49 PM
GM never fails to deliver the most strange threads. Yes, it's true Roger lost again a match, isn't the same player as during 2004-2007, but what will the other players on the tour do now as they haven't won the AO?

People seem to forget how long it took Sampras to get his 14 GS titles. He was written off as well before he won the US Open in 2002. He didn't won a GS title in 2001. Just have a look at his results at these years.

As long as Roger is healthy, has the motivation and passion for the game he will be around. He probably doesn't know himself right now when he is going to finish his career, but to have a negative h2h against the current #1 ranked player won't surely be a reason to stop playing tennis.

zadle69
02-02-2009, 03:51 PM
I think this was roger wake up call. I think he realizes that if he wants to last in the game that he needs to work on his game (mentally) and tactically. If he wants to last in the game until he is 35, he needs to do what Agassi and other players did and that is go in with a good coach that and work on those weaknesses in your game and improve on your strength. To be honest with you, roger could have defeated rafael many time but the thing that hold roger back is the mental stretch of the game. It is mistakes here and there that really cost roger and other players with rafael. You see how andy murray improved on his mental fitness where he can beat the top players and his opponents. It is that same belief that novak, tsonga, and now verdasco has as well. So roger does not need to retire because he really can go til he is 35 where as with rafael I dont see how he can physically last in the game playing his style and the mental part for another 3- 5 years. I think also this is time when roger needs to get a coach to work on things.

Jaz
02-02-2009, 04:09 PM
I don't know what the bitching is about.

He was winner of USopen, Runner up AO, Runner up Wimbledon, Runner up French. This isn't playing badly, and doens't justify retiring. He's only losing by fractions (!) in the 5th set in Nadal. It would probably be fixed by some mental adjustment.

zadle69
02-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Jaz, I agree 100% Fed needs to work on mental adjustment and also he needs to work on the serve and backhand

star
02-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Federer is not even going to think about retirement until either he has number 15 under his belt, or he is no longer able to even challenge to win a GS tournament. He'd be a fool to retire when he is so close to achieving his career goal.

Igaarg
02-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Ok. What about Hewitt, Roddick, Safin, Ferrero, Blake, Nalbandian? They should suicide themself or something? There is so high expectations and pressure under Roger, he has to work hard to know how to deal with it.
Last year was the "awful" Roger´s year and the "wonderful" Murray and Djoko year, and Roger lost less matches than them. Give Roger a break.

Rafa = Fed Killa
02-02-2009, 04:39 PM

Federer dumped Mirka the Hutt and got a new girlfriend, good for him.

yavore
02-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Federer's retirement would be the best thing that can happen to tennis :lol:

MalwareDie
02-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Federer's retirement would be the best thing that can happen to tennis :lol:

Mugswine's (Nadull) retirement is the best thing that can happen to tennis. He wants to destroy the sport and is only looking out for himself.

yavore
02-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Mugswine's (Nadull) retirement is the best thing that can happen to tennis. He wants to destroy the sport and is only looking out for himself.

I didn't know that ballet dancing is considered as a sport;)

02-02-2009, 07:18 PM
This is a joke, right.. How many GS finals has the guy been in the last two years ?? You've got to be joking. When he reaches a point he's losing before quarters, he may think about. How quickly people forget about Sampras. It was two years between # 13 and 14 for him and many were writing him off long before that. Great tennis players don't usually die a quick death (except Borg), they usually fade away, and Fed fade has only just begun. He'll be around a good while longer and will be a major threat at 3 of 4 slams for a few more years.
This is like a flashback to Jul-Aug last year and we see how that worked out.

Hes not Sampras though.

To the person who said if he had won yesterdays match, sure, but he didn't, and ive never seen him turn on the waterworks like that, especailly when losing.

My point was, hanging around another 3-4 years having to put up with that dissapointment just for the chance to win the odd GS, what could it do to him mentally?

maki925
02-02-2009, 09:19 PM
He can retire but after Nole beats him a few more times.:lol: After that I don't care!

tennizen
02-02-2009, 09:25 PM
He won't retire:cuckoo:

Myrre
02-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Let me see... He won US Open 4 months ago thrashing Murray in the final. He almost won Australian Open, even though his first serve (and most important weapon against Nadal) completely deserted him. So with a bad day at the office and Nadal pummeling Federer's backhand, it still took Nadal 5 sets to win. To be honest I'm not very impressed with Nadal's win. He got the job done, but only because Federer had a meltdown on court. Federer will be back and I wouldn't be surprised if he wins both Wimbledon and the US Open this year.

Myrre
02-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Hes not Sampras though.

To the person who said if he had won yesterdays match, sure, but he didn't, and ive never seen him turn on the waterworks like that, especailly when losing.

My point was, hanging around another 3-4 years having to put up with that dissapointment just for the chance to win the odd GS, what could it do to him mentally?

No, he's better than Sampras. Even Sampras biggest fan, Agassi, had to admit in the end that Federer was the best.

Minerva
02-02-2009, 09:47 PM
I would be hugely surprised, in real shock, I would even see it as a sign of the Apocalipse if Federer retires before he's 30.

He thinks too highly of himself to think it's already over. And one thing is true, he is not a quitter on court and I higly doubt it he will be one in his career.

Forehander
02-03-2009, 02:05 AM
he'll play till he's 35-40 end of story.

casabe
02-03-2009, 02:11 AM
Let me see... He won US Open 4 months ago thrashing Murray in the final. He almost won Australian Open, even though his first serve (and most important weapon against Nadal) completely deserted him. So with a bad day at the office and Nadal pummeling Federer's backhand, it still took Nadal 5 sets to win. To be honest I'm not very impressed with Nadal's win. He got the job done, but only because Federer had a meltdown on court. Federer will be back and I wouldn't be surprised if he wins both Wimbledon and the US Open this year.

completely rigth...and federer had bad luck...he should have won the match 57 63 62 63
it was nadal's time..nothing more...people is analysing too much this match

Swagger&Poise
02-03-2009, 02:16 AM
Federer won't retire before 30.

Beating Sampras' record is his life right now, the record books mean everything to him. Not only will he want to beat the record, but he will want to significantly exceed to it to ensure his name is at the forefront for years to come.

Federer himself has said the two greatest records to him are most grand slams won, and total number of weeks at number one. He probably doesn't believe the latter is behind him in reaching (even though in my opinion it is), however the former he would believe is still within reach.

edit:

gee how many excuses do people have to make for Federer. Open your eyes people. Nadal has KO'd him in 4 consecutive french opens, and now the final of the last FO, Wimbledon and AO, not to mention the last 5 times they've played, and hasn't lost to him for 2 years now. Anyone who cannot see Federer isn't allowed to play his best because of what Nadal does to him when they meet is either biased or doesn't understand tennis. His history of break point conversions against Nadal is no coincidence.

kyleskywalker007
02-03-2009, 07:35 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the OP one day wakes up and realizes he has been a troll all along....

Clydey
02-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Seriously I wouldn't. Heres why.

Alot of people who critisize Federer being the GOAT say that his era has been weak but then I dont buy that.

However there is some truth to the other reason why he possibly isn't the GOAT;

Pervious GOAT contenders, Sampras, Agassi, Laver, Borg, Mcenore etc all had to win multiple grand slam titles when there were other GOAT contenders around at the same time and had to win matches against them.

Look at the people Federer has beaten for his titles. Phillipousis, Safin, Roddick, Djokovic, Bagdatis, Gonzalez, Hewitt.

Most of them are one or none slam wonders.

Sure if someone had been around to challenge him he probably would have won a lot of those titles but in many of those matches like Djoker in 07 and Nadal wimbly in 07 he really didn't play that well but got away with it, someone better would have taken their chances and beat him.

The only player at the moment who is possibly in his League is Nadal. And guess what, he can't beat him anymore. The only times he was beating him was when he was younger and not mentally strong. Same with Djoker and Murray. He cant really beat them anymore the same way.

He really should have won that match last night as both played pretty badly. But he didnt and he cant take it back now. Its going to be so much tougher now. The federer era is over and as it should be, hes 27 and a half, he cant achieve much more in his career.

I dont think GOAT players should be judged on GS titles totally.

Why should he stick around just for the hope of picking up the odd title to break some meaningless record? Borg didn't for exaclty the same reason. Theres no point in hanging round when your past it. If you cant play your best anymore why play at all at this level?

Federer has done the game proud over the years. I remember watching him win his 6th or 7th title at AO in 06 and have wathched him ever since. But we knew it wouldn't last forever. I could accept the "hell be back" thing after the AO last year but I can't accept it now. Im a huge fan of him but its time for curtains I think.

The only reason i can think of for him sticking around is to make more money but he hardly needs it. Records are made to be broken and even if he wins 17 titles someone will get it eventually its bound to happen. Hes not interested in picking up cookie plates anymore. Die with some dignity I say.

Does anyone else agree?

Bear in mind any critisism of rogers GOAT staus due to a weak era also applies to nadal too. Maybe its why fans of each fight so much on here?

I don't think Federer's game is in decline at all. He's playing as well as he ever was. The competition is simply much stiffer. Guys like Roddick, Hewitt, and an extremely inconsistent Safin aren't in the same league as today's top guys. Safin is the only one with the talent to match the new guys, but he has always been woefully inconsistent. I'm of the opinion that the era of a few years ago is now being exposed.

omar behroozian
02-03-2009, 09:02 AM
honestly this is a joke. why would federer retire? just because he was so dominant in the last few years and hees not anymore doesn't mean hees not good anymore or he cant win more slams. things change so quickly in tennis and i wont be suprised if federer goes on and win wimbledon and us open this year. im sure no1 is gonna bet against him doing that

Bargearse
02-03-2009, 09:19 AM
roger wouldn't be so foolish to reitre when he is just within 2 more slams to become the greatest ever ;)

his fans will get over it very soon after he won a big title ;)

It's true... Federer fans are panicking because of his poor performance, lack of break point conversions, crying after the match...

If Fed won another slam it would probably be against a player other than Nadal. A slam is a slam but those who judge GOAT would place an asterisk against the victory if it wasn't against Nadal.

aroofnow
02-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Whether or not Federer he does retire, I think he should seriously consider it. The only reason for continuing would be to try and beat Sampras's 14 slams, but this can obviously only be achieved now if he avoids Nadal in the slams, whom Fed now knows he is never going to beat, and how many more defeats at the hands of Nadal, and the accompanying mental torture, can Fed endure?

It was the manner of Fed's AO defeat that was most worrying. He should have won in 3 sets, but a pitiful 1st serve, a series of unforced errors on numerous break points, and complete disintegration in the 5th, clearly point to, not a lack of ability, but an embarrassing mental fragility that, at the moment, only manifests itself when he plays Nadal. No amount of practice or coaching will cure it.

Many people here completely miss the point when they say that, if Fed should retire, then everyone else who can't beat Nadal should also retire. None of these other players have been world no.1 for a record time, or appeared invincible for much of that period. I fear that continuing will only cause further, possibly irreparable, mental problems for Fed, and further tarnish his reputation. Why risk this by hoping to avoid Nadal in the slams? Fed, quite simply, will not be able to take another defeat at Nadal's hands, and retirement may be forced upon him.

rina
02-03-2009, 11:50 AM
he's 27 and loves tennis, i doubt he'd retire anytime before 30
it'll be a sad day for tennis when he does

michellej
02-03-2009, 12:17 PM
eveningstandard.co.uk

eveningstandard.co.uk For whether or not Roger Federer goes on to eclipse the Sampras record, he sobbed yesterday at the realisation that his time has passed, and that he has been eclipsed by an even greater champion than himself.

Very interesting to see how he plays in his next tournament

MacTheKnife
02-03-2009, 12:27 PM
eveningstandard.co.uk

eveningstandard.co.uk For whether or not Roger Federer goes on to eclipse the Sampras record, he sobbed yesterday at the realisation that his time has passed, and that he has been eclipsed by an even greater champion than himself.

Very interesting to see how he plays in his next tournament

This was obviously a bad loss, but IMO not nearly as bad as Wimby last year. If he recovered from that, he will recover from this one. If he was getting destroyed like FO on every surface, it would be totally different. But on these other surfaces he has lost very close matches in 5 sets. That tells you right there that each of these matches has come down to a few points here or there, and the biggest difference has been mentally.
Fed will have to decide if he is willing to over come his stubbornness and change his tactics in the tight situations or not. If he does not, the current out comes will continue until he does. Insanity = expecting different results from the same behavior.

Bazooka
02-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Retirement would be stupid, and is very unlikely. Roger has chances at winning many big titles yet.

Oh, and he's getting hundreds of thousands of dollars when he loses a final too. Maybe you guys think that rich people don't want any more money? That's what a homeless probably thinks about you, that you already have several thousands of dollars so you don't care about some hundreds here or there, right? Money is important to everyone, and is easily lost nowadays if you're not careful.

The AO is not his best tournament, he has lost here even in his prime. Wimbledon was even a worse loss and he responded by winning the USO, defeating Djokovic and Murray easily.

pricdews
02-03-2009, 12:48 PM

Grand slam events are odd titles? I get that many greats like to go out while still near their best. Michael Jordan retired (the 1st time) costing himself the all-time points record. But I think Federer really values reaching 15 and finds it far from "meaningless".

He's not retiring as long as he thinks he can pass Sampras. The idea is silly. Have you ever heard Federer get interviewed? It's not like he has anything better to do than play tennis - sit home with Mirka? Maybe deep down he doesn't think he can beat Nadal but it's not like Nadal is immune from injury.

jbud
02-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Roger Federer won't be retiring soon. He is by far the second-best player in the world and has an excellent record at the major championships. He is so close to equalling Sampras' all-time record. He might not be able to beat Rafael Nadal, but he can certainly beat every other player over five sets. He'll still be competing at 30 and at his current age and form he has at least another two years to realistically add to his major haul.

Certinfy
02-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Don't think so.

Imo if he's lucky at GS's and doesn't have Nadal, Murray and other big treats in his half its a win win for him, as maybe Murray, and Nadal could be gone before the final, assuming Fed makes it.

Andi-M
02-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Once Murray beats him at a slam. I think that might send him over.

His ego is struggling to cope with Nadal, if Murray joined in on the fun too, that'd too much for him to take.

Black Adam
02-03-2009, 06:42 PM
He will be mentally fried soon and will decide to call it a day. The tears just go on to show how weak he is at the moment, mentally. He will be just as good as Verdasco was a few years ago: a player with alll the shot but a complete headcase. Ironic that in his older years he will inevitably regress into that young spoilt Roger who had breakdowns during matches. A sad end indeed.

scarecrows
02-03-2009, 06:51 PM
He will be mentally fried soon and will decide to call it a day. The tears just go on to show how weak he is at the moment, mentally. He will be just as good as Verdasco was a few years ago: a player with alll the shot but a complete headcase. Ironic that in his older years he will inevitably regress into that young spoilt Roger who had breakdowns during matches. A sad end indeed.

nice going nostrADAMus

FerrersLinda
02-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Some of them can't even win ONE grand slam!

Most of them can't.;)

Igaarg
02-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Most of them can't.;)

So true.

Boris Franz Ecker
02-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Federer's problem is that he was too good. And now some people want to write him off, because he made only 4 finals in 4 slams, winning one of it.
For Federer a desaster, for other players, including Sampras, it would still mean something special.

r3d_d3v1l_
02-03-2009, 09:45 PM
It´s real hard for a player that was in such a strong shape and invecibility to lose consecutives times (grass, hard court) and be questioned by everybody. I think that even Rafa would be a little shaken if this happenned to the spanish.

But then again, to retire because of that it´s ridiculous. Altough i heard some rumours before or after the US Open 08.

superslam77
02-03-2009, 10:02 PM
wishful thinking...

as long as federer makes the next 3 finals he will win at least one of them. the choke at the third set costed him the match.

zethand
02-03-2009, 10:08 PM
He is making millions, why he would retire?

Manila ESQ
02-03-2009, 10:10 PM
I don't think Roger will retire anytime soon. He wants to break Pete's record really bad. He knows that upsets sometime happen, and he may have a chance to win more slams.

On another note, there was a time when even unseeded players win grand slam titles. at this time, that idea sounds very absurd.

FedFan_2007
02-04-2009, 05:22 AM
Federer won't retire before 30.

Beating Sampras' record is his life right now, the record books mean everything to him. Not only will he want to beat the record, but he will want to significantly exceed to it to ensure his name is at the forefront for years to come.

Federer himself has said the two greatest records to him are most grand slams won, and total number of weeks at number one. He probably doesn't believe the latter is behind him in reaching (even though in my opinion it is), however the former he would believe is still within reach.

edit:

gee how many excuses do people have to make for Federer. Open your eyes people. Nadal has KO'd him in 4 consecutive french opens, and now the final of the last FO, Wimbledon and AO, not to mention the last 5 times they've played, and hasn't lost to him for 2 years now. Anyone who cannot see Federer isn't allowed to play his best because of what Nadal does to him when they meet is either biased or doesn't understand tennis. His history of break point conversions against Nadal is no coincidence.

Federer last beat Nadal 6-4, 6-1 in November 2007.

Swagger&Poise
02-04-2009, 06:06 AM
^My bad.

Hasn't beaten him since 2007.

FairWeatherFan
02-04-2009, 06:47 AM
I hope not. Federer is one of the few players generating quality tennis in an era where the sport is irreversibly moribund...we need as much good tennis as possible to enjoy before the sport dies completely and utterly.